+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tipping Point (R)

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

Re: The Tipping Point (R)

Sad but really beautiful
    I liked the idea of throwing a party very much. I hope Lex asks Chloe`s help so she can forget for a few moments, while busy with the details, about Lex`s rejection
    Please more soon
    Malu

Ash's Love Slave

Wow!! This is amazing! Love the angst and drama. Can't wait to read more soon??

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malugargula View Post
    I liked the idea of throwing a party very much. I hope Lex asks Chloe`s help so she can forget for a few moments, while busy with the details, about Lex`s rejection
    oh, that's an interesting perspective, and possibly the correct way of looking at the situation. Lex is not willing to bring Chloe in as his assistant coordinator because he think it would have been terribly callous and insensitive for him to ask for a favour after he (gently) broke her heart. And he might be right in assuming that Chloe might want some distance from him for a while.

BUT then again, perhaps busy-work is exactly what Chloe needs to get her mind off the pain of her heart-break... and working in close proximity with Lex, in a purely platonic sense, might help her in healing?

Please update soon. This chapter was surprising, delightful, funny and conflicted... I can't wait to see how BlueSabby twist their readers emotions in upcoming chapters. Please post soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabby View Post

“Eh, fuck the guests, they’ll keep.” Clark waved a hand in Lex’s general direction. He saw one eyebrow rise on his skull. “Yes, I said fuck, it does happen.”
    :lol: Go Clark. He has some brains finally.

Loved the update- and I think I would have loved it more if this had been in the Romance section, because then there would be a hope for a very happy ending. But seeing as it is here, we shall see what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
    :lol: Go Clark. He has some brains finally.

Loved the update- and I think I would have loved it more if this had been in the Romance section, because then there would be a hope for a very happy ending. But seeing as it is here, we shall see what will happen.
    heh, I also enjoyed this savvy, insightful and even tactful version of Clark. This character is a great deal closer to the Clark I have always imagined in canon-Superman. Someone good, decent, thoughtful, insightful and kind... but underneath all the super-powers and extreme niceness, still a clueless dork! Adorable dork, but a dork nonetheless.

and with regards to Gaia's concern about this fic having a tragic ending. Just because it's in the angst section doens't mean that it's going to have one of those tragic 'everyone dies alone and unloved' endings. Sabby's 'Too Little, Too Late' is ALSO in the angst section, and although the characters are confused and miserable right now, Sabby is trying to work them towards reconciliation and happy ending.

Although many people pigeon-hole an angst-genre-fic into a story where the readers is left crying in anguish, it's not always the case... The term and definition of an Angst-fic can refer to the journey, rather than the destination.

So hold onto hope, Gaia! There might be a Happy Chlexy smiley ending to this after all

After lots and LOTS of drama, suffering and misery of course. Please update soon, BlueSabby! I'd love to see whether this fic is going to go the route of Classic Tragic Ending, or whether it's going to end with a kiss.

i alternate from nc17 fanfiction forum to la la land...

Quote Originally Posted by somethingeasy View Post
    Please update soon, BlueSabby! I'd love to see whether this fic is going to go the route of Classic Tragic Ending, or whether it's going to end with a kiss.
    um, its an R fic, and knowing bluesabby, im really hoping we get more than a kiss.. teehee

PLEAse update soon! i want poor chloe to not be so heartbroken
    i do so like green eggs and ham
    i do so like them...sam i am
    –Dr Seuss “Green Eggs And Ham”--

Quote Originally Posted by jem View Post
    um, its an R fic, and knowing bluesabby, im really hoping we get more than a kiss.. teehee
    ROTFLMAO! Oh yeah, good point! It made my mind wander down to a 'happy place'
    There might even be a chance of this fic's rating increasing from R to NC-17 *waggles eyebrows suggestively*

NS Full Member

A/N: Blue: Here's some more of the angst. I'd tell you to enjoy but....actually, you all do seem to be in to S & M cause you like the story. So, enjoy!

A/N Sabby: She's so witty. And I have nothing witty to say..uhm... Yeah, more of the actual likeable Clark for you. And no, this is not bizarro Clark. Just Clark as it should be.

Chloe’s life had been downright odd for the last few days. She and Lex had tried to find some sort of balance to their relationship. He’d called her, she’d called him, they’d met for coffee but something was off. That was to be expected. But Lex also seemed distracted by something or other.

The last time they’d met up, his cell phone had been going crazy. He’d look at the display and then slip it back inside of his pocket. He’d apologize for the interruption but he’d never gone on to explain who was on the other end of the line.

A part of her believed that he’d already started seeing someone else. But it was the irrational, fearful part of her and she knew that she was acting like a freak. So she hadn’t said anything.

Their conversations had been forced. Neither one of them wanting to say the wrong thing. Instead of them being them, they were being Lex and Chloe Version 2.0 that discussed safe, pedestrian things.

She hated it and couldn’t live like that.

Then there was Clark. He was acting odd. Very odd. Odder than usual odd. He’d also been really busy lately.

Things had finally fallen into place yesterday. She’d found out what he’d been so busy with. Which led to her little visit to Lex today.

Enrique had seemed happy to see her. It was the first time she’d been back at the Manor since she’d sprained Lex’s arm. He ushered her up to Lex’s office and the man himself strolled in a few minutes later.

“Clark? You asked Clark for help? Have you lost your mind?” He looked confused and then realization dawned brightly on Lex’s face. “He doesn’t know the first thing about stuff like this.”

She thought about his face when he was describing how he’d been helping Lex and smiled to herself at how panicked her friend had been. He had tons of things to do and didn’t know where to start. She had to admit that Clark had been doing admirably well but it was too much for him to handle.

Lex had kept her out of the whole thing. She knew why he’d done it. It was sweet, really, but Lex needed to learn when to ask for help. It was a positive step that he’d done so with Clark but Lex needed to know that Clark wasn’t the only one willing to pitch in.

“I know that you were just trying to be nice or chivalrous or whatever by not asking me, but that’s stupid.” She looked over at him and waited for him to say something.

“Stupid?”

Lex’s eyes narrowed as he stepped over to the bar. He’d just gotten off the phone with the most uncoordinated coordinator in history. He really wasn’t in any frame of mind to be dealing with insults.

Turning around with a double scotch in hand he glared at Chloe.

“Well, excuse me for trying to take your feelings into consideration. Like I could have just gone and said: ‘Hey I know I just broke your heart and everything, but could you forget about that and help me turn my wedding into a charity gala?’ Right.” Lex shook his head.

The last few days he’d been walking on eggshells around her. Juggling couldn’t be more difficult than running a corporation, being sensitive to your best friend’s feelings and all the while trying to get through arrangements that should take 2 months careful planning in less than a week. Asking Clark for help had been an action born from desperation.

“Clark was adept enough at handling the easier affairs.” Lex had to admit that much even though it rankled to have to do so. The farmboy had actually come through over the last week.

What rankled more though was that she’d basically accused him of being an idiot for trying not to be an asshole. “Women,” he groused and downed his scotch. “Doesn’t matter what you do, it’s wrong either way. Try to be honest, you’re an asshole. Try to be nice, you’re an idiot. Try to marry them? They’ll end up trying to kill you or steal all your money. It’s a miracle this species is still procreating at the rate it is.”

“Oh,” she said, “don’t go blaming our sex. We all aren’t crazy psychopaths who either want to kill you or steal your money. Or both.” Just because he was attracted to that type of woman didn’t mean they were all like that.

“And you could have asked me for help,” she said, walking over to him and grabbing the decanter of scotch out of his hand before he could pour another drink. He’d been drinking too much. Yes, he was allowed to wallow in his own misery, but there were better ways to do that.

“I’m still your friend, right?” Lex nodded once as he glared at her for taking away his alcohol. “Then act like it.”

“We’ve been so weird with one another lately.” He looked like he wanted to say something. “And don’t you try to deny it. Maybe if we both stopped being so careful with one another, we could go back to the way that things were between us.”

She knew that things would never be the same. She would always be the one who admitted she loved him and he would always be the one that shot her down. But they could be closer to what they had instead of this forced politeness.

Her voice softened. “I know why you did what you did and part of me gets it and appreciates it. And thanks you for it. But, you can’t protect me from everything. And you shouldn’t.”

Lex took the decanter back and put it down on the bar. He’d only needed one drink and he didn’t appreciate people getting all parenting about it when he was merely indulging every once in a while. Clark had gotten on his nerves to the point where Lex wanted to use the alcohol to douse him and set him on fire. Of course he hadn’t done so, but oh he’d fantasized about it.

“I’m not trying to protect you from everything,” he denied.

And he really wasn’t, that was a feat no one could accomplish, not even him. “If I tried that, you’d find your car out of commission every other day and there’d be people unobtrusively following you around whenever you feel the need to stick your nose in places where it might get cut off.”

You would think that Chloe had grown up to be smarter than that, but you’d think wrong. Lex had hoped her interest would start to drift to less dangerous fields of journalism, but as the years passed, he’d resigned to hoping that she didn’t take an interest in foreign politics or warfare.

There was something frustrating about getting semi-regular calls from Smallville Medical Center. But Lex wouldn’t deny that it came in handy to have a few nurses on his payroll so he’d at least be in the know. Then of course there were the two deputies and the new sheriff. He wondered if Chloe even suspected why she got away with breaking and entering nine out of ten times.

“And I’m surprised I haven’t,” she countered. There’d been a few times when things had happened that she knew Lex had a hand in. Leads that she’d followed just in time to see the police dragging the guy out in handcuffs. She hadn’t called Lex on these things, she knew that he was just trying to keep her alive. But that didn’t mean that it didn’t infuriate her.

She could take care of herself in those matters. If it were possible, she was actually more in danger of pain in her personal life. Which Lex was now trying to shield her from as well. She wouldn’t stand for it here, though.

This he didn’t get to control.

Her pain belonged to her and she would work through it. She had to, she couldn’t just push it under the carpet. Plus, Lex wasn’t making it any easier being the way he was.

“So are you going to ask me to help you or what?” If he didn’t, she’d take matters into her own hands. She could tamper with Clark’s phone line and route all of his calls to her line. Then, she’d call those who he thought he was calling.

“Why do you even want to help?” Lex was seriously confused about that. It had to be a female thing. “You don’t get to burn the wedding dress or anything. It’s going to be up for auction. There are just a few more arrangements to make to change the flower settings and send out the new engraved invitations.”

Of course there was also the rest of the guest list to check for ex-bride relation and then inquire about the food preferences of the guests that had been invited to replace those missing. Lex had the niggling feeling he forgot something. But of course, as with all things you forgot, the harder you thought about it the further it slipped.

He could really use the help.

His eyes bored into Chloe’s trying to judge if she was likely to have a breakdown if she was actually confronted with the reality of the wedding gone bad. The worst thing was that he couldn’t tell if she was just putting on her brave face, because right now, she was still wearing her pissed off face.

“Alright then, you can get on my laptop and check out the new guest list, see if you can catch their assistants to ask if they’re vegetarian or meat eaters.”

He had a few calls to make and needed to check up on Clark’s progress with the flower arrangements. Lex never thought he’d ever put Clark and flower arrangements in the same sentence, but he hadn’t had much choice. He only hoped Martha would help her son out or they’d end up with roses and forget-me-nots.

“And don’t snoop or I’ll chop off your pretty little fingers and feed them to the dogs, got me?”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever,” Chloe grumbled as she walked over to said laptop. Like Lex would ever keep anything important on hardware that she was in the same room with. When she opened the file in question, she whistled.

“You really did invite everyone in creation, didn’t you?” She reasoned that the guest list for the benefit had the same number of people that Lex and what’s her face had invited to their nuptials.

Lex started to walk out of the room but her voice stopped him. “Oh, and Lex, you don’t have any dogs.” She was looking at the screen but she could tell that he was glaring at her. She could feel it. “Don’t you have anything better to do than stare at my beautiful visage? I was under the impression that you were terribly busy.”

Lex glared at the woman behind his desk, then shook his head. It was useless to try and figure her out. If she thought she could handle this, then she probably could. And he realized that for the first time in a week, they’d spoken to each other like they did before. The last few days had been awkward. Much worse than that other time, he thought.

Maybe things would be okay if they just tried to act normal around each other. With that in mind, he made sure to speak loud enough to be heard as he left the room.

“Memo to self: Acquire big, rabid dogs that like to eat blondes for breakfast.”

~*~*~

Lex’s last comment had got Chloe thinking. Not about Lex getting dogs but about food. She’d worked for about an hour, leaving messages and talking to either the people invited or their people. She’d gotten through half of the list which she thought was pretty damn good.

Which was why she was on a snack break. Half of her body was inside of Lex’s hugeass fridge, rooting around for something that was edible. The man ate very healthy and she wasn’t looking for that at the moment. She wanted something bad for her.

It looked like she wasn’t going to get her wish though. Put out, she grabbed an apple out of the crisper and was making her way back upstairs when the doorbell rang.

She knew and had been told that Enrique was the one who answered the door but she was right there so she grabbed the doorknob and pulled.

Later, she wasn’t quite sure how it happened. It was a crew of people, all dressed in uniforms. They had huge boxes and they asked where it should be put. Lex had had everything from the wedding forwarded to the house.

When she was told it was a cake, it still hadn’t dawned on her that it was Lex’s wedding cake. She pointed towards the kitchen. They looked at the table in the kitchen and declared it too small. Chloe pointed towards the dining room and then ran off to get Lex.

Five minutes later they were both standing in front of an assembled six tiered wedding cake.

“I can’t believe I forgot about the cake.”

Lex stared at the arrangement in awe. It hadn’t looked that big when he’d seen it in the bakery. Or maybe he just hadn’t paid enough attention.

“I wanted to call them to call off the order. It totally slipped my mind.”

A grin slowly curled up his lips. “Are you hungry?”

They’d never be able to eat it all, but it was the best cake he’d ever had and he knew Chloe had a sweet tooth a mile wide. She’d love it. “I don’t remember what it’s called, but it’s got lemon, vanilla, cream and…” he trailed off as he went through the cabinets for plates and a large silver cake knife he knew had to be there somewhere. After all, there was nothing he didn’t have, as far as he was aware.

“Hah!” Lex brandished the large knife triumphantly and returned to the table with the cake. “I promise you’re going to love this.”

Chloe merely stared at the monstrosity that was Lex’s wedding cake. Or had been. She supposed without a wedding, it was just a cake.

It did look good but eating it made Chloe feel a little funny. She wasn’t sure why. Lex was already cutting into the cake but she didn’t feel hungry anymore. In fact, she felt almost sick.

Thus far, she hadn’t seen anything too weddingy. This definitely was. It unsettled her.

But she’d get past it. It wasn’t as if Lex would force her to eat it. “I’m not really all that hungry,” she said. “But,” she looked from him to the cake, “it is very beautiful and I’m sure it tastes amazing.”

She looked a little reluctant to try the cake. Sure it was a little high on the fat and sugar, but that was nothing she had to worry about. Lex tried to stifle his evil grin as he turned and broke off a piece of cake and enjoyed the taste of cake, and sweet revenge so close at hand.

He couldn’t count the number of times anymore that she’d made him ‘Just try’ this or ‘Give it a chance’ to that, shoving food in his mouth that had no business being there. She had even forced him into eating a Twinkies once.

“It does taste really good,” he commented as he stepped closer and broke off another piece.

“Try it,” he said with a smirk and popped the piece into her mouth just as she was about to protest.

His grin had to be enormous as he watched her stare at him with wide eyes, her mouth full of cake. “See, I told you it’s great.” It was the same line she always used when he ended up with something or other between his lips that he’d never thought of trying. “Don’t forget to chew.”

Ah, payback was a bitch, but she could be sweet.

Chloe hadn’t been aware of it but she had taken a few steps back from him. By now, her back was against the wall and Lex took advantage of that fact.

She knew what he was doing. He was getting revenge for the Twinkies and other stuff that she’d forced him to eat over the years. He didn’t mean to do what he was doing, didn’t get the significance of cramming a piece of wedding cake in a woman’s mouth. But it still got to her. She didn’t like it.

Especially because he was grinning and relaxed and enjoying himself. Just the way he would have been had he been getting married. But she would never be his bride. Or his date. Or someone that he thought of romantically.

Chloe mechanically swallowed the sweet treat so as not to choke on it. Lex was going for another piece and she knew what he intended to do. “Lex, no,” she said, turning her head. The cake ended up on her cheek.

He started at the tone of her voice. It sounded almost like she was hurt or something. The smear of cake on her cheek looked a little ridiculous, but she seemed so far away from amusement that he couldn’t even laugh about it. Lex was just confused.

“What’s wrong? It’s not really bad, is it?” He’d been sure that vanilla was one of her favorites.

Lex reached out and wiped the cake from her cheek. She was acting all odd again and he had no clue what he’d done. “Are you okay?”

Instead of getting an answer for her weird behavior, she stammered out something about leaving and before he knew it she’d twisted out and away under his arms and ran out of the room to the kitchen.

Lex heard the backdoor slam while he was still in the middle of the dining room with a confused frown on his face and a hand smeared in cake. He absently licked his fingers clean as he wondered what the hell had just happened to make her run like that.

~*~*~

The phone call had come as a surprise. Clark hadn’t expected to hear from Lex. Especially when he knew Chloe was at the Manor. He’d called her about two hours ago and she’d told him that she was helping Lex with the benefit.

He’d gotten a call from Lex about 20 minutes ago asking him to stop by.

He knew something was up the minute he was escorted by Enrique to the dining room. The man gave him a look and then left. Which was amazing in and of itself. The guy never had an expression on his face. And this one had bordered on annoyance when he’d looked at Lex.

Clark looked after Enrique’s retreating back and heard Lex speak. “You want some cake?”

Lex was sitting at his dining room table, his wedding cake in the center of it, a glass of scotch to his left as he shoved a forkful of the food into his mouth. Clark looked around the room.

“Where’s Chloe?” He wasn’t sure he wanted the answer. It looked like something had happened between them. Again.

“I don’t know. Where do women go when they run away for no reason?”

Lex was miffed. He’d tried calling Chloe first, but she hadn’t answered her cell. After another twenty minutes, he’d been at the point where he didn’t know what to do. He was alone, confused and had about 200 pounds of cake to eat. So he’d called Clark. Which really proved just how confused he was.

“Usually,” Clark said sitting down next to Lex, “the bathroom. But I’m assuming you’ve checked all of them already.”

Lex continued to eat his cake. “What happened right before she ran out?” Chloe was a fairly obvious person. If you thought about the last thing you said to her, you could generally figure out where you’d fucked up.

“We had cake. One minute, everything was fine, the next she’s got a cake smear on her face and runs out the backdoor like I set the house on fire.”

The cake was damn good, but it wasn’t any fun eating alone. Lex had hoped for some nice company and witty conversation with his best friend while they demolished as much of the sweet treat as physically possible. He wanted to see if he could get a sugar high. He wondered what Chloe was like on a sugar high.

Chloe had taught Clark a few things. Sometimes, she told him, people’s words didn’t always tell you everything you needed to know. You have to listen and then extrapolate. That’s what he was doing now.

She’d gotten cake smeared on her face. Chloe wasn’t a two year old, she knew how to use utensils. So she hadn’t been using utensils. He looked at the table. There were plenty of forks on it.

A thought struck Clark. A horrible one.

“Lex, you didn’t feed Chloe cake, did you?” He was already feeling for his cell phone in his pocket. He vaguely saw Enrique come back into the room. “Smash it into her mouth, right?”

He noticed that both he and the butler were now looking intently at Lex.

Lex frowned. He could feel Enrique’s gaze coming from the side like a laser beam and Clark was looking at him like he’d done something horrible beyond all humanity. “I didn’t smash it into her mouth. I just got my revenge for all the times she’d make me try something, so I fed her a bit of the cake.”

They stared at him in horror. “What? It’s not like I made her eat something disgusting! It’s damn good cake and I know she likes vanilla and cream.”

“Oh god, oh god, oh god,” Clark muttered as he found Chloe’s number and then dialed it. “Pick up,” it rang once, “pick up,” two rings, “pick up the phone, Chloe.”

Lex was asking him what was wrong but he ignored him. He had to focus on Chloe now.

Enrique could not believe his employer. He knew the man was not well versed in romantic traditions but did he not watch films. “It is customary,” he said, watching as Lex turned towards him, “for the groom to feed his new bride a piece of cake.” He watched as Lex’s eyes went wide.

“I’m sure that that was what made her so upset.” The ‘you fool’ went unsaid but Enrique made sure that it was apparent by his tone.

He was fond of Ms. Sullivan and had lost a great deal of respect over the past year for his boss and his treatment of her.

Clark listened as her cell went to voicemail again. He dialed her home number but got the machine. After leaving a message there as well, he hung up his phone and sat back in the chair.

Lex felt like an idiot. He had totally forgotten about that tradition. Truth be told, he’d forgotten most of the details of his previous two marriages and that bit about the cake had gone completely unnoticed. There it was again, solid proof that this friendship was going to be over sooner rather than later.

“Fuck, I didn’t even think about that,” he grumbled. “We were carrying on like we used to and I was just trying to get my revenge for the Twinkies.” Instead, he’d shoved the knife in deeper and turned it. “I didn’t mean it like that.”

Apparently, his employer had done much to the young woman over the past year that he ‘didn’t mean.’ The man kept making excuses for his behavior towards Ms. Sullivan. Excuses that he directed at her, at himself and now at the outside world.

“But you did mean to kiss her at your birthday celebration last year, did you not?”

He’d walked in on it. Ms. Sullivan and his employer in what would have progressed to a most compromising situation, he was sure of it. He’d never regretted opening a door so much in his life. It had gone unsaid that he was not to speak of it. But he’d stayed quiet long enough, his job be damned.

And damned it was, he knew, when he saw Mr. Luthor’s face.

Clark was stunned. Chloe had never said anything about that. She hadn’t told anyone. Slowly, he looked at Lex. “You kissed her?” This changed things. It changed everything.

Lex slowly turned away from glaring at Enrique at Clark’s question. He was seething with anger for the man who’d just consciously and maliciously given away the secret that Lex and Chloe had kept for over a year now.

“It was an accident,” he told Clark as calmly as possible, “We decided never to mention it again.”

tbc...

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Grreat update. Lex you are an idiot. Can;t wait to hear more about this bday kiss.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

And I was so hoping the awkwardness was going to be done with and okay now. Damn Lex! As soon as he went for that cake it was the proverbial train wreck and all I could think was 'Idiot! Idiot! Stop! Stop!'. I love Enrique for what he thinks and what he says. I hope that he and Clark take Lex down for his stupidity and then have Lex beg Chloe to forgive said stupidity and just make Lex suffer for not thinking at all.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information