+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Crawling Back (NC-17) Chapter 20 08/01/2020

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Crawling Back (R) Chapter 1 4/10/07

This is a wonderful beginning--can't wait for more
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

This seems like its gonna be brill! Loved the first chapter and can't wait for the interview. Definitely want to hear more about what happened between Chloe and Lex.

-K-

Great start!!!

What happened 9 years ago?

What is in the envelope?

What about Lex, did he changed much since Chloe left?

Hope you'll update soon!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

After the first year, Chloe thought she would drop the pet name but it stuck and everyone one was calling her Kitty Cat. It was horrible to call her Kitty Cat because Chloe purchased an actual cat then found out she was having Emma so she jokingly called her the name throughout her pregnancy.

She made grand plans for the cat buying all the things that it would need including a very expensive fountain water dish then, the week before she would pick up her cat, Chloe went to the doctor. Everything she brought the cat had to be taken back since she didn’t want it to interfere with the baby.
    The story sucked me in from the very beginning. I loved how Chloe interacted with her child, not indulging in anything undignified or patronizing like baby-talk, but still calling her by an adorable pet-name (heh, literally a pet-name). LOL at the story about where ‘Kitty Cat’ got her sweet little nickname from.

Also LOL at the way Chloe glared at all the people who had the NERVE to give her ‘looks’ about the way she was handling HER daughter. Her appearances and role might have changed, but Chloe still remains as stubborn and proud as ever.

Chloe was giving her the look and one that she mastered during the terrible twos, threes and fours. “I know you’re excited but you have to keep it down for the other people on the flight.”
    ROTFLOL at the ‘terrible twos, threes and fours’ reference. I can only imagine what a hellion Chloe’s daughter must have been. I look forward to finding out more about Kitty as this fic progresses.

New York had given Chloe so much but one thing was taken away that made her wish she never left Kansas all those years ago. When her husband died two years ago Chloe couldn’t stand the sight of the city. As time went on she learned to cope with it but she couldn’t stay there any longer.
    I wanted to cry over here. The tragedy was made all the more acute after the description on how wonderful Chloe’s life had been before her lovely husband died. She was loved, she had a career that satisfied her ambition and pride, and she was happy in a busy, bustling city that suited her nature perfectly. And now she has to start all over again. Poor Chloe…

“Will all my pictures be there?” Emma questioned taking Chloe’s attention off the view outside.

“Of course Kitty Cat everything will be there in our new place.” Chloe brushed back her daughter’s hair and tried to think of something to say that would make this easier for her. She was making her leave a place she felt safe and loved in. It was hard for Chloe to make this change but it had to be even harder on Emma.
    Poor Emma too. Chloe lost a husband, which is terrible, but Emma lost her father, which must have been devastating. And now the poor girl has been uprooted from her familiar life, away from her school and friends. I’d say a couple of temper tantrums would be the BEST Chloe could hope for from her daughter. The worst would be despondency and indifference.

Looking at Emma she realized how much Troy had filled her life with something she thought she would never have again. He loved her furiously and would have done anything to keep their family together. When he died, he took so much with him and Chloe was slowly crawling back trying to put her life together.
    *sigh* I still feel so sad for Chloe. The poor girl has had a LOT of hard luck in her life, and the first bit of happiness she gets has been abruptly taken away from her.

heh, and I see how the title of the fic is meant to for BOTH Lex and Chloe. Chloe is trying to crawl back to a full and happy life again, and Lex is trying for the same… only his full and happy life means crawling into Chloe’s.

People in airports that didn’t respect people with children sucked even more. Chloe had learned this truth the hard way the first time she and Troy traveled with Emma. Things hadn’t changed and some how had gotten worse as Emma got older.
    LOL! It’s good to see that becoming a mommy has not softened Chloe, she’s still as sharply cynical and sardonic as ever. Lex is really going to have his work cut out for him if he wants to get back in her good graces again. Especially considering the animosity she seems to hold for him. Whatever happened between the two of them anyway? I guess I’ll find out later.

They both turned to find Lois and her father quickly approaching. Emma’s excitement had hit overload.

“Cousin Lois! Grandpa!” Emma then took to hopping towards Lois like a rabbit. It was some sort of game they played that Chloe didn’t understand since Lois was bouncing as well.
    ROTFLMAO! Oh this was adorable! I was afraid that Kitty would have been lonely being separated from everything and everyone familiar and loved, but it seems like Metropolis also offers some familiar comforts. It seems like Lois gets along REALLY well with her little niece (even if they do call each other ‘cousins’).

“Hi dad. You look good.” Over the years Gabe had changed more than Chloe would have liked. His heart attack a few years ago shook her up and since then she treated her father with more care then normal. After Troy died it had only gotten worse.

As they embraced Gabe returned her greeting. “You look good too. And don’t think I don’t know what you meant just now. I have been feeling fine.” Gabe looked to her and nodded once trying to assure her that he was okay.
    Awwww. That sweet old daddy Gabe. I’m loving this family reunion in every way possible.

Chloe turned to Lois and started a fight with her. They hadn’t seen each other face to face in months and the first thing they did was have a fight. “I’m not going to make my dad carry these.”

Lois rolled her eyes letting Emma slide down to ground again. “Not Uncle Gabe, Clark.”
    ROTFLMAO! Trust Lois to be bullying a superhero into playing packmule. I’m taking my reference from the Warner Brothers animated version of Lois Lane, of course. The lady is a little obnoxious, but really cool. Does Lois know that Clark is Superman in this fic?

“Hey, I’m here, I’m here.” He announced as he got closer. Chloe could see he was doing his hero thing. His suit was off set and his silly glasses weren’t placed properly on his nose.
    LOL at the thought of Superman rushing through his rescue so that he can play pack-mule. I love how he’s so whipped. He’s such an adorable dork

Chloe didn’t respond to her reason since she did know how it was. The day to day grind of working at a paper filled her life for years but she stopped two years ago when Troy died. Emma needed more attention and Chloe’s heart just wasn’t in it anymore.

She was happy to take on a job working for a magazine. Monthly issues meant she didn’t have to work as hard and her stories were expand into long running pieces and even an investigative book that came out last year.
    I like the subtle ways Chloe’s life has changed since she has become a mother. She’s still very focused on her career, she’s still sharp, quickwitted, stubborn and proud, but her priority is Emma and family. Lexis going to have to prove he can be a decent father before Chloe even ‘considers’ letting him into her life.

AND Emma has to like him. Not to mention that he has to be completely committed to Emma… more than that, he has to LOVE Emma. Nothing less will suffice for Chloe.

Heh, he is in for SUCH a hard time. I look forward to seeing him suffering and struggling.

The apartment was settled and Emma’s care taker was settled on and now it was time for Chloe to see about her new job. When she knew she was moving Chloe put out some feelers to local editors in Metropolis and she stumbled upon a magazine that just started a few months back but its circulation told a different story.

She was promised free reign over her own pieces that would come out monthly. The first five would be a trial run and if they liked them they would keep her. Chloe had at least twenty stories in her head at the moment that could be worked out with the magazine so there was no worry about the first five.

The one thing she avoided in all her clever planning for the move back home was her past coming back to haunt her.
    It seems like Chloe was managing and settling herself into her new life quite well. Emma was taken care of, a promising job lined up at a good magazine… and THEN… Lex comes in to screw everything up. I hope Chloe gives him an earful for interfering like this.

“Ms. Sullivan sorry to keep you waiting.” The man sounded behind her and Chloe jumped from her seat. She was used to seeing editor’s dressed in suits but Mr. Walker had other ideas. He was in wrinkled slacks, his dress shirt was unbuttoned and there was no reminisces of a tie being around his collar.
    By the time I finished reading this update, I decided I didn’t like Mr. Walker. The guy is an opportunistic, lying jerk. Using Chloe for an interview with Lex, despite the fact that it went against the agreement they had set beforehand. I suppose it was going to be too much to ask that Chloe’s boss was going to be a ‘nice’ person.

“Nice catch, go ahead and open it.” With her eyes lowered to the item Chloe lifted them to look at Mr. Walker leaning back in his chair looking rather smug.
    Underhanded, dishonest JERK! He even has the nerve to look SMUG about screwing Chloe over like this.

“Can I ask what’s in this before I open it?” Chloe shook the envelope in her hand. What was happening wasn’t agreed upon. Chloe knew she was coming into this to write her own stories not hidden ones in an envelope.
    I did like that Chloe stuck to her guns over here. She’s already got her ‘spidey sense’ tingling, and she’s preparing for battle

“Your welcome.” He nodded then dug right into her. “You also got this job because of who you know as well. I know you have a long standing history with the Luthor family and in the envelope is the story we have been trying to get for the past few weeks but have had no such luck. You are going to get that story.”
    Unscrupulous bastard! I really don’t like him. He hired Chloe under false pretences, and now that he ‘has her in his clutches’ he basically pressuring and steam-rolling her into doing something that makes her immensely uncomfortable.

As she spoke she watched him pull a news paper clipping from the envelope then closed it. “There is no denying it. You were involved with Lex Luthor and that relationship is going to get me this story.” He tossed the envelope back at her and stood up from his seat to drop the news clipping in her lap.

Once Chloe got a good grip on the envelope she lost it to catch the news clipping. She’d seen the clipping before. Remembering the moment in the photo was easy. Chloe had spent time in Metropolis with Lex and one day they were careless. The photo was taken just as they were kissing in the back of the building that held his penthouse. It was hard to plead a case that Chloe wasn’t close to Lex with what she held in her hands.

“You’re right there in color Ms. Sullivan. Please don’t try to deny it again.” She could hear Mr. Walker standing next to her until he moved away for the door.
    This was interesting. I wasn’t sure whether Chloe’s heartbreak over Lex was because of a ‘unreciporcated love’ or because of ‘love affair gone bad’. It was interesting to find out that there WAS something going on between the Chlex, but it went bad… bad enough that Chloe had to move away thousands of miles to get over it. And now she’s being pulled into the middle of it again. Poor Chloe!

Walker KNOWS all this (it’s fairly easy to figure out), and he’s willing to out his latest employee through the emotional shredder anyway. Bastard!

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that. We dropped your name and he was more then happy to do the interview.” His eyes slanted at her and the smug look from before had returned.
    It also sounds vaguely unethical to be using an employee’s personal life to get a story. But if Lex is cooperating, I guess the editor is legally covered.

Ethically though, it’s a completely separate matter. Especially if Chloe had a problem with having her (former) personal life used to sell newspapers.

Chloe had to force herself to keep her mouth from dropping open. The last time she’d spoken to Lex was in her dorm after a mistake she still regretted. That was nine years ago and all of it before she fell in love with Tory and had her daughter. Since then she only heard about Lex in passing from Lois or in the papers. If she saw him now there was no telling what would be said.

The fact that he took the interview just because her name was dropped made her think he wanted to see her.
    Just HOW did things end between them. It’s driving me nuts! I guess we’ll be finding out all the details as the fic progresses. I look forward to getting the whole backstory to this train-wreck of a Chlex relationship.

While she thought it over Mr. Walker spoke. “You can think about it all you want but if you want to talk about all those stories you have in the works you will do this one first.”

“What if I refuse?” Chloe already knew the answer but asked any way.

“Then we well have to reevaluate your contract.” He turned the knob and opened the door signaling her to leave. “I’m not trying to use you. I just want my writers to use all their assets and this is one of yours.”
    Not trying to use her??!! Who’s he trying to kid here. He is blackmailing her into a highly uncomfortable and potentially traumatic position, for the purpose of a story. He might as well be up front and honest about what a bastard he is being.

She had to admit to herself if Lex wanted see her she was curious to see why.
    heh, I’m also curious about this. The Chlexer in me says that Lex has been madly in love with her for the past nine years, and now he is trying to ingratiate himself back into her life again. But the angst junkie suspects underhanded motives.

Why has he been waiting so long to get in touch with her? Her husband died two years ago, he could have made a move on her after ‘allowing’ a year for mourning?

As she passed through the doors Mr. Walker said his last words. “Welcome to the Metropolis Monthly.” He chimed and closed the door behind her.

She turned and looked out on the busy office floor then sighed. “Welcome home Chloe.” Then she headed for office to see what was hiding in the envelope and what story was so important that she could only get.
    Heh, I still hate that smug bastard, but I’m curious to see what kind of a story Walker would be willing to go to such lengths for. It had BETTER be something good.

This story has come around a fascinating and enthralling start. I look forward to seeing how it progresses. Please update soon.

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

Wonderful start
    I`m sad for Chloe because she must be going through a hard time. Thanks God she has Gabe, Lois and Clark (if he`s not as stupid as he uses to be in the show) to help her.
    I`m really curious about what happened between Chloe and Lex nine years ago. And I hope Chloe make him suffer a lot before taking him back
    LOL
    Malu

NS Senior Member Senior Member letia84's Avatar

Crawling Back (R) Chapter 2 4/23/07

Notes: Thanks for all the comments. Still working the kinks out of this one but here's the next part.

Chapter 2 The Shell (Lex POV)

Lex didn’t love the woman he was lying next to. Hell, he didn’t even think he liked her. But for some reason he went to a hotel room with her. He didn’t initiate the encounter but he didn’t frown upon it either.

Since Lex attended the function last night without a date he wasn’t really thinking about leaving with anyone. If he wanted to do that he would have careful picked a woman and then took her to the hotel room but Melissa Gray had other things in mind.

As the night progressed Lex had purchased a few art pieces, rubbed elbows with people that could be assets in the future but he was also flirting with Melissa Gray. There wasn’t anything particularly interesting about her. She was attractive enough with longs legs, a rounded face and her breasts weren’t bad either; being hugged by her black satin dress.

Lex was no fool and he wasn’t easily seduced but that night Melissa caught him off guard.

He spotted her when he first arrived and they shared a glance. Later on that night she breezed by him to grab a champagne flute from a waiter before he could get it. They exchanged a few words then he lost sight of her again.

The last time he encountered her before they exited together she approached him as he was staring at one the art pieces he just purchased. They talked about the exhibit which she knew little about and she made some flattering comments about his appearance.

It was obvious that she was following him around trying to seduce him. She laughed unnecessarily loud, touched his arm or moved in close to him to say something as if the room was too loud for him to hear it. Then she flat out let it be known she wanted him.

Melissa Gray sipped her last bit of champagne, leaned in close and whispered in Lex’s ear. “Do you want to leave with me? I promise to make it very entertaining.”

She leaned back looking rather pleased with herself; she thought her womanly power had worked on him. Lex was about to say no but something stopped him from doing it. Something happened early that week that changed his answer that night.

Instead of telling her no Lex extended his arm to the lady and she quickly took it. His car was summoned and they drove off to a near by hotel. There was some sloppy making out in the car and no words were exchanged until they reached the hotel room.

There was a moment in bed when Melissa’s brown eyes were staring up at him as he secured the condom. Lex looked down on her and knew she wasn’t what he wanted. She had to see the look in his eyes and notice the hesitations when she questioned him. Lex didn’t answer her right away but he was trapped in her eyes.

He rationalized why he shouldn’t sleep with Melissa Gray. She was beautiful and ready for him. He wasn’t seeing anyone and hadn’t had a good release in months. It was obvious to her that this was a one time deal and afterwards he would go home and never see her again.

Lex made up so many reasons as to why he had to do what he did but there was only one that mattered. He had to reassure himself he was the same person that recovered from losing Chloe Sullivan ten years ago.

The fact that he learned she was in town didn’t faze him. He knew everything about her since the day she left. Her jobs over the years, her husband and his sudden death and he knew about her daughter. But none of this knowledge got to him. The more he knew the more in control he was. After a failed attempt to win her back one night in her dorm room Lex hadn’t and wouldn’t allow himself to be bothered by anything he heard about Chloe.

After he agreed to allow Chloe to interview him it was the logical choice. It had nothing to do with wanting to see her again. She was a good writer. Possibly the only person that could get the story right so, early that week, he agreed with the editor of the Metropolis Monthly to be interviewed by her.

All week long Lex let himself believe that he was going to perform a business transaction with Chloe and then she would fade back to where he put her; in the past. All week long Lex felt himself thinking about her, letting his memories of her crawl back into his mind.

For years Lex had worked on not thinking of Chloe at all. After the meteor showered things just feel apart because of what he did. Dragging her to the caves was forgiven but what happen next he knew he could never come back from.

She left and he failed at getting her back so Lex pushed her away. A woman that understood him, that loved him and one he felt the same way about he pushed out of his mind. Losing her crushed him. He wasn’t a functioning adult without her and to keep his sanity Lex did what he had to.

For a few months his days were filled with plotting ways to make right what he set wrong. He ignored Luthor Corp and could have lost it to his father but Lionel was the one that pulled him out of his prison. After being rejected Lionel was waiting for him. For years Lex didn’t want to believe his father’s words were true but this time he let it sink in that maybe Lionel was right.

He told him that love had ruined him. That he was always weak and he might always be that way if he let love hold him down. With a determination Lex had never shown before he let himself convert completely. Nothing could touch him and no one could break into his emotions.

To keep his protective shell up against Chloe Sullivan he looked Melissa Gray in the eyes, moved towards her over on the bed then slid his hard member inside her slick channel and he fucked her until he found his release.

The fact that he was having another one night stand didn’t bother him. Lex had grown accustom to thinking of companionship with a woman as something that would never be lasting. His last two marriages taught him that.

That morning lying next to Melissa, listening to her tiny snore Lex knew he had failed. There was nothing he could do to make what was about to happen easier.

He would have to see Chloe on Monday. He would have to see her, hear her voice, smell her scent, look into her green eyes and have to answer her questions.

Lex jumped up out of the hotel bed and dressed quickly. He could shake Melissa awake but there was no need. He made it home and rushed towards his office to take a seat at his desk.

The thought of his emotions getting the best of him was becoming very real but he had other things to worry about. If Chloe was going to interview him he had to be ready. He didn’t know what they would say to each other but one thing Lex knew for sure, Chloe would be more than ready to interview him. Sitting at his computer Lex had to be prepared.

-------------}{------------

Luthor Corp was Lex’s safe haven.

Since his father was placed in jail and lost all his holdings in the business it was under Lex’s control. All his life he fought kicking and screaming not to take over the business but now that he was embracing it Lex saw his father was right. This was his calling and when he walked through the doors of the building he knew he was completely in control.

At the moment Lex was losing some of that control. When he decided to have the interview with Chloe in his office it was to make him more comfortable.

Sitting at his desk Lex was suppose to be listening to his lawyer’s brief about what he should and shouldn’t say in the interview. He already knew how much to give away and how much not to but wanted to have this brief to center himself. He was going to be in complete control of what would transpire between him and Chloe today.

At the moment he wasn’t listening to the brief. He was staring at his blank computer screen and didn’t snap out his trance until he heard his lawyer raise his voice.

“Mr. Luthor are you sure you understand what you’re getting yourself into?” James Cain, the man to his left shouted louder then he should have.

Lex turned in his seat to see the frustrated look on James’ face. He wasn’t listening but no matter what he was doing it didn’t give the man the right to yell at him. “Mr. Cain the last time I checked I don’t pay you shout at me.”

“Sir, I’m aware of that.” James started but was quickly cut off.

“I’m also sure you know I don’t pay you to interrupt me when I’m speaking.” Lex leaned forward in his desk waiting it out for James to say something.

The tension in the room was building and Lex was actually enjoying it. James Cain had been with Luthor Corp while his father was in charge. His loyalties were tested when Lex took over but Lex trusted him as much he trusted anyone working for him.

He didn’t trust him at all.

Staring the man down he could tell the silence was taking its toll on him. His job, his entire career could all be taken away if Lex chose to do so. Taking a glance at James’ assistant Lex could see beads of sweat starting to form on the other man’s brow.

With a slight grin Lex broke the silence before both men were in tears. “You can speak now Mr. Cain.”

“Thank you sir.” The man managed to say as he loosened his tie searching for air. “I was asking if you are sure you want to go through with the interview. The government has stated that they don’t want too much information to be released.”

Lex nodded once and he already had an answer to the question. The deal was set and he was given the privilege to release the story when he was ready. “Mr. Cain I’m certain that the story will be portrayed well and the United States government will be pleased.”

“You know what’s best sir.” James stood and his assistant followed suit. “There is nothing else to brief you on.”

“Thank you for you time.” Lex replied to the men as they exited through the automatic doors of the office as quickly as they could.

Once they had finally left, Lex could let his anxiety show in peace. There was no reason for him to be acting this way. He was over Chloe. For years he had been over Chloe. Yet the thought of her arrival in the next hour was making him panic.

To keep his mind occupied Lex had an array of memos to read and respond to. As he flipped through the pages on his desk he was starting to rethink the interview. Seeing Chloe was one thing but maybe James Cain was right about being cautious. What he was about to share with press was huge but maybe it was better kept under wraps. The goal of pieces was to entice more clients over to Luthor Corp but Lex could walk into a trap to push them all away.

Pondering these things at his desk Lex didn’t realize his time was up. His office phone started to buzz and he knew what it meant. There was no need for him to be worried about seeing Chloe. Last night proved that he was still the man he had been and one woman wouldn’t change that.

Taking the receiver into his hands Lex spoke to his assistant. “Yes, Ms. March.”

“Mr. Luthor, the reporter from the Metropolis Monthly is here to see you.” The woman’s voice sounded cool and calm.

“You can send her in.” Lex replied sounding a little less then calm and cool. He slammed the phone down without saying another word and the fear hit him.

That day Luthor Corp wasn’t Lex’s safe heaven, it was his hell.

The automatic doors swung open but he didn’t look her way. His eyes were glued to his computer screen. He was acting like a fool but he couldn’t bring himself to look at her.

His shell of control was slowly cracking.

The clicking of her heels sounded in his ears as she took the few steps towards his desk. She was in front of him just waiting for him to look at her. He heard her clear her throat trying to get his attention but he still didn’t look her way.

“Mr. Luthor.” A woman’s voice spoke up but it wasn’t very familiar.

Lex narrowed his eyes and looked in front of him. The woman that spoke wasn’t Chloe Sullivan. “Who are you?” The logical question came first. All this time Lex was building himself up see Chloe again and she wasn’t there.

“Ms. Sullivan sent me in her place to give you this and to apologize for her not coming.” The woman reached her hand out to him handing over an envelope.

“This is very unprofessional. I don’t know what kind of magazine Mr. Walker is running but when he promises me a reporter, she should show up.” Lex was angry and unfortunately the messenger was being fed a healthy dose of his anger.

“I understand you are upset but I assure you everything is explained in the letter.” The woman said her final words then turned away to leave.

Lex didn’t know if he should call Mr. Walker or read the letter first. Chloe had somehow gotten him all worked up and she didn’t even show. It was possible she was just as nervous as he was about seeing one another again.

Taking in a deep breathe Lex tore open the envelope to read what Chloe had to say.

Good Afternoon Lex,

I’m sure you are wondering and rather frustrated that I haven’t arrived at your office today. I hope my assistant won’t come back with a horror story about how angry you are. I had to be out of the office and I’m not sure how much I’m being monitored at work so calling or emailing was out of the question.

It is my understanding that Mr. Walker has been in contact with you for some time looking to get the scoop on Luthor’s new dealings with the government. It is also my understanding that you only agreed to allow the Metropolis Monthly the interview because I would be the one working with you.

I have to say I was surprised that after all this time you wanted to see me let alone allow me to write a story for you about the secret dealings of Luthor Crop after what happened between us. I’m sure you thought that I would write an honest piece about nothing but the truth.

This is very true but I’m sorry, I have to be honest, I don’t want to write the article.

When I separated myself from Metropolis I promised myself that, even if I came back, I would no longer write about Luthor Corp endeavors. When I came to work for the Monthly Mr. Walker took it upon himself to try to bring me out of retirement by blackmailing me.

He wants to use my past history with you to get this story. It’s not the way I want to work nor is it the way I want to be reintroduced into your life as if I’m using you to further my career.

Before I move forward with this I want to make it clear to Mr. Walker that what I initially agreed upon is how I want to work. To do that I need your help.

If you are willing to work with me I have left my cell number and I ask that you call once you are done reading this letter.

Sincerely,
    CS (620-343-1928)

Once the letter was finished Lex was already reaching for the phone on his desk. Lex didn’t like the idea of Mr. Walker using his past to get what he wanted. If he was going to do this story he did want Chloe to write it but not like this.

As the phone rang all of Lex’s earlier anxiety had washed away. There was no reason for him to be nervous. Even if he was no longer in love with Chloe he still respected her. Reading her letter reminded him of all things he already knew about her.

Without even seeing him she knew he would be upset about her not showing up. Her honesty about their past also warmed him. He never wanted to hurt her but managed to do just that. If she was weary about doing the piece then he would find another reporter.

Four rings passed before Chloe answered. “Sullivan.” Her voice was sharp and to the point.

“Well Ms. Sullivan you have my attention.” Lex replied to her. He assumed she would know his voice.

“I think we are way past you calling me Ms. Sullivan.” Her voice softened; it was the one Lex had heard many a time before.

She was right; they had been through too much to still be using last names. “Alright then Chloe, how can I help you?”

“I want to apologize again for the way I have to do this.”

Lex was angry at first but he understood now and her apology was no longer needed. “I understand but I don’t see how I can help you. I would think if you’re being blackmailed you would get another job.”

She chuckled on the other end and things were going smoothly so far. It was as if they had spoken the past nine years but in reality they hadn’t.

“That’s very true but believe it or not its slim pickings out there for a journalist.”

“I’m sure Lois or Clark are expendable at the Daily Planet.” Lex didn’t care for either of them as writers. Clark rarely wrote anything but somehow maintained his job. Lois on the other couldn’t stop writing. All her pieces were too long winded.

“True but lucky for them I only do monthly’s now.” Chloe answered him and there was a moment of silence.

Lex knew she was only working for a monthly magazine in New York but he never thought about the reason for the change. It was right around the time her husband passed away and there had to be a link there.

Breaking the silent moment Lex spoke first. “Okay if you need this job I’m willing to help.”

“Are you sure? I can just quit but it would be so much easier on Emma and me if I keep this job.” Chloe mentioned a name Lex knew. Her little girl had to be about six now. He had no idea what the child looked like but he was sure she was as beautiful as her mother.

Lex owed her more than his help after what happened between them. “I said I want to help just tell me what you need.”

“Great, if you have the time do you still want to meet with me today?”

“Sure you can come by the office...” Lex started but Chloe cut in.

“No, I think we need a more neutral ground then that.” She paused and he heard low hum as she thought it over. “How about a hospitality room at a hotel?”

She was right, they should meet on equal footing. His office or hers would give one the advantage over the other. “That sounds find with me. I can call the Royal Suites Inn.”

“Okay that sounds fine to me. Let’s say we’ll meet in the lobby in a half and hour?”

“Half and hour it is.” Lex made a metal note of her tone just now. There was always a certain way Chloe spoke when she was excited about something and he heard that from her just now.

“Lex, thank you for doing this.” She sounded so sincere; it was first time during the conversation Lex flinched. Nine years between them and she could still get to him with just the sound of her voice.

“I’ll be getting something out of this as well.”

“What would that be?” She spoke sounding a little confused.

“You are going to write the article.” Lex had to be honest with her since she was being so honest with him. “I said yes to Mr. Walker because I know you will tell the truth. I leave it up to you to reject it but I don’t want your hand forced.”

“Lex, I…” She paused before going on as if she was searching for just the right words to break things to him. “I don’t want our past to define how we treat each other now. I’m back in Metropolis for so many reasons and I don’t want my past to interfere with those reasons.”

Lex wanted to ask what those reason were. He wanted into inquire as to why she was back but that wasn’t his place. He knew it would give him more control but right now he just wanted to know for his own reasons. “If you don’t want to do the piece I understand. I don’t want our past to affect you now. I’ll still help no matter what you do.”

“I’ll do the article but it will be my last Luthor Corp piece.” She answered and it appeared things were settled.

“Thank you and I’ll see you shortly.” Lex replied. He was relieved she agreed to do it.

“Good bye, Lex.” She hung up the phone before he could say anything else.

Lex hung up as well then called the hotel. Seeing Chloe wasn’t going to be as hard as he thought it would be. He didn’t need a shell to protect him from her. They respected each other and could work together without their past being a problem.

Lex was so sure of himself when he arrived at the hotel. Standing in the lobby his nerves were fine. He didn’t feel anything like he did in his office a half and hour ago. He was totally in control as he waited for Chloe to show up in the lobby.

That was until he laid eyes on her.

Seeing Chloe after all this time and Lex’s perfect shell of control crumbled at his feet.

TBC

Chapter 3 Reunion (ChloePOV)

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Re: Crawling Back (R) Chapter 2 4/23/07

I LOVE THIS FIC!!!! I think it's one of your best. Although, I DO NOT like this Melissa chick. I'm glad Chloe isn't gonna let her boss railroad her into something . You know Lex can't get her out of his mind. Can't wait until he meets Emma. More please.

Quote Originally Posted by letia84 View Post
    It was obvious that she was following him around trying to seduce him. She laughed unnecessarily loud, touched his arm or moved in close to him to say something as if the room was too loud for him to hear it. Then she flat out let it be known she wanted him.
    can this woman be more subtle??? I don't think so. how about some class??
    Melissa Gray sipped her last bit of champagne, leaned in close and whispered in Lex’s ear. “Do you want to leave with me? I promise to make it very entertaining.”
    she thinks she got skills...oh so she's a professional.i guess trying to sleep with wealthy men is kinda of a hobby for her
    lol ok i know i'm being wrong and mean with her but let me hate. I need to hate on someone.
    She leaned back looking rather pleased with herself; she thought her womanly power had worked on him.
    see!!! told you she thought she was all that.

He rationalized why he shouldn’t sleep with Melissa Gray.
    yeah rationalize baby. Rationalize.

She was beautiful and ready for him.
    :roll eyes:
    He wasn’t seeing anyone and hadn’t had a good release in months. It was obvious to her that this was a one time deal and afterwards he would go home and never see her again.
    (sigh) see now I don't know... I mean I blame her for trying to have sex with Lex( uh oh did you see the rhyme) but in the mean time they're both adults and free to do anything they want...and I should be mature enough to understand. I said SHOULD. so i'm gonna keep on hating
    Lex made up so many reasons as to why he had to do what he did but there was only one that mattered. He had to reassure himself he was the same person that recovered from losing Chloe Sullivan ten years ago.
    Ouuuuuh inside of Lex's torturous mind... i love it.
    The fact that he learned she was in town didn’t faze him.
    sure!!! like we were gonna believe that.
    He knew everything about her since the day she left. Her jobs over the years, her husband and his sudden death and he knew about her daughter. But none of this knowledge got to him. The more he knew the more in control he was.
    lol I just love when Lex gets on his stalker mode.

After a failed attempt to win her back one night in her dorm room Lex hadn’t and wouldn’t allow himself to be bothered by anything he heard about Chloe.
    humm now that what this is all about... i can't wait for the big explanation. Could it be the climax to the story??? i'll just wait and see.
    After he agreed to allow Chloe to interview him it was the logical choice. It had nothing to do with wanting to see her again. She was a good writer. Possibly the only person that could get the story right so, early that week, he agreed with the editor of the Metropolis Monthly to be interviewed by her.
    i like the fact that Lex is still honest and professional. His hurt(deep deep hurt) feelings don't prevent him from being a good judge of a situation.

For years Lex had worked on not thinking of Chloe at all. After the meteor showered things just feel apart because of what he did. Dragging her to the caves was forgiven but what happen next he knew he could never come back from.
    there you go teasing us again with what happened in the past.

She left and he failed at getting her back so Lex pushed her away. A woman that understood him, that loved him and one he felt the same way about he pushed out of his mind. Losing her crushed him. He wasn’t a functioning adult without her and to keep his sanity Lex did what he had to.
    awwwwwwwwwwww I think Lex needs a hug and I volunteer! oh wait that was in the past...ok i'll find another occasion to hug him.

For a few months his days were filled with plotting ways to make right what he set wrong. He ignored Luthor Corp and could have lost it to his father but Lionel was the one that pulled him out of his prison. After being rejected Lionel was waiting for him. For years Lex didn’t want to believe his father’s words were true but this time he let it sink in that maybe Lionel was right.
    uh oh ain't that my favorite MB??

He told him that love had ruined him. That he was always weak and he might always be that way if he let love hold him down. With a determination Lex had never shown before he let himself convert completely. Nothing could touch him and no one could break into his emotions.
    :nodding: preach on MB!! praise the Lor...uuuh the Devil.
    oh God... Lex really sounds really desperate and hurt...
    To keep his protective shell up against Chloe Sullivan he looked Melissa Gray in the eyes, moved towards her over on the bed then slid his hard member inside her slick channel and he fucked her until he found his release.
    ok fine, I give up. I'm gonna thank her b/c Lex needed to have a good fuck that night...and she was therrre...:roll eyes: thank you Melissa. Be gone now!
    The fact that he was having another one night stand didn’t bother him. Lex had grown accustom to thinking of companionship with a woman as something that would never be lasting. His last two marriages taught him that.
    Dang homie! 2 marriages?? well at least no kids are involved.

The thought of his emotions getting the best of him was becoming very real but he had other things to worry about. If Chloe was going to interview him he had to be ready. He didn’t know what they would say to each other but one thing Lex knew for sure, Chloe would be more than ready to interview him. Sitting at his computer Lex had to be prepared.
    WO OOO! that's my lex!

This was his calling and when he walked through the doors of the building he knew he was completely in control.
    ok, now I gotta pause to picture him walking through the door... JUST FREAKING HOT reminds me like in the episode you when they were Mexican immigrants and we learn about project 33.1... we see Lex walking down a hall... FYAH!!

Lex turned in his seat to see the frustrated look on James’ face. He wasn’t listening but no matter what he was doing it didn’t give the man the right to yell at him. “Mr. Cain the last time I checked I don’t pay you shout at me.”
    uh oh somebody's in trouble. Lol!

“I’m also sure you know I don’t pay you to interrupt me when I’m speaking.” Lex leaned forward in his desk waiting it out for James to say something.
    aaaaaaaah just love when he's being soo... i don't know. Intimidating?
    The tension in the room was building and Lex was actually enjoying it.
    lol that's not nice, Lex!
    Staring the man down he could tell the silence was taking its toll on him. His job, his entire career could all be taken away if Lex chose to do so. Taking a glance at James’ assistant Lex could see beads of sweat starting to form on the other man’s brow.

With a slight grin Lex broke the silence before both men were in tears. “You can speak now Mr. Cain.”
    i love Lex

Once they had finally left, Lex could let his anxiety show in peace. There was no reason for him to be acting this way. He was over Chloe. For years he had been over Chloe. Yet the thought of her arrival in the next hour was making him panic.
    which is a normal human reaction!

There was no need for him to be worried about seeing Chloe. Last night proved that he was still the man he had been and one woman wouldn’t change that.
    Not so sure about that but if he needs to believe it. :shrug:

That day Luthor Corp wasn’t Lex’s safe heaven, it was his hell.
    I like I like.

“Mr. Luthor.” A woman’s voice spoke up but it wasn’t very familiar.
    I KNEW IT!!! I knew it!! it would have been too easy

Lex didn’t know if he should call Mr. Walker or read the letter first. Chloe had somehow gotten him all worked up and she didn’t even show. It was possible she was just as nervous as he was about seeing one another again.
    somebody got his hopes pretty up uh?? and he dares saying that he's over her.

The letter was soooo Chloe-like. Simple, sincere, honest.

“I’m sure Lois or Clark are expendable at the Daily Planet.” Lex didn’t care for either of them as writers. Clark rarely wrote anything but somehow maintained his job. Lois on the other couldn’t stop writing. All her pieces were too long winded.

Chloe mentioned a name Lex knew. Her little girl had to be about six now. He had no idea what the child looked like but he was sure she was as beautiful as her mother.
    awww please please I hope it's an happy ending. If Emma sees Lex, I wonder how they gonna interact with each other..she'll be all sweet and everything but I'm sure she'll make blunt comments and Lex won't know how to respond lol...ok anyway!

“No, I think we need a more neutral ground then that.” She paused and he heard low hum as she thought it over. “How about a hospitality room at a hotel?”
    See I know an hospitality room at a hotel is pretty common but you know my mind can't help to think. hummmm Hotel? means plenty of rooms all they need to do is taking the elevator and... ok don't mind me.
    oh but yeah. I see Chloe had been thinking about him too otherwise she would have never suggested this meeting "on a neutral ground".
    “Lex, thank you for doing this.” She sounded so sincere; it was first time during the conversation Lex flinched. Nine years between them and she could still get to him with just the sound of her voice.
    awwwwwwwwwwwww ok now I think I can hug him.

“Lex, I…” She paused before going on as if she was searching for just the right words to break things to him. “I don’t want our past to define how we treat each other now. I’m back in Metropolis for so many reasons and I don’t want my past to interfere with those reasons.”
    Lex wanted to ask what those reason were. He wanted into inquire as to why she was back but that wasn’t his place. He knew it would give him more control but right now he just wanted to know for his own reasons.
    all this Lex POV is just adorable to me.

Seeing Chloe wasn’t going to be as hard as he thought it would be. He didn’t need a shell to protect him from her. They respected each other and could work together without their past being a problem.
    i like i like

Lex was so sure of himself when he arrived at the hotel. Standing in the lobby his nerves were fine. He didn’t feel anything like he did in his office a half and hour ago. He was totally in control as he waited for Chloe to show up in the lobby.

Seeing Chloe after all this time and Lex’s perfect shell of control crumbled at his feet.
    awwwwwwwww ok he needs another hug!! lol
    well chapter 3, chapter 3...after 9 years, what's gonna happen... is Chloe as nervous as Lex?? let's not mention the fact that they are in a hotel so if things get a little...too hot, they know they...ok ok i stop lol.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Lex didn’t love the woman he was lying next to. Hell, he didn’t even think he liked her. But for some reason he went to a hotel room with her. He didn’t initiate the encounter but he didn’t frown upon it either.
    This was the perfect opening for Lex… especially considering the title of this chapter. It really helped establish what a pathetic, shallow shell of a human being Lex has become since he separated from Chloe.

I didn’t know whether to laugh or to shake my head in disappointment at how this woman was humiliating herself. No wonder Lex falls in love and commits so easily with ANY woman who shows ‘some’ sense of tact, intelligence and decency. It seems like the poor guy doesn’t get the chance to have proper conversations with any woman worth conversing with… such women would be sensible enough to avoid him.

He rationalized why he shouldn’t sleep with Melissa Gray. She was beautiful and ready for him. He wasn’t seeing anyone and hadn’t had a good release in months. It was obvious to her that this was a one time deal and afterwards he would go home and never see her again.

Ugh! THESE are the kind of reasons Lex comes up with about why he should sleep with a beautiful, willing woman? He really IS an emotional shell! It seems like there’s nothing deep or meaningful in his life or psyche anymore.

I did think it was interesting that TEN years have passed by, and Lex still has not gotten over whatever horrible break-up occurred between himself and Chloe. Poor pathetic fellow.

At least Chloe got a chance to move on and find love again. Not only love, but home and family too. It’s really a pity she lost most of everything she had been lucky enough to find. But at least she found ‘something’.

The fact that he learned she was in town didn’t faze him. He knew everything about her since the day she left. Her jobs over the years, her husband and his sudden death and he knew about her daughter. But none of this knowledge got to him. The more he knew the more in control he was. After a failed attempt to win her back one night in her dorm room Lex hadn’t and wouldn’t allow himself to be bothered by anything he heard about Chloe.
    hmmm, after breaking up with her, presumably breaking her heart, he tried to get together again. I’m getting all these tantalizing hints of their past relationship, and I’m trying to form a picture here. Please help!

At least he seems to have a ‘slight’ idea about the emotionless, robotic shell he has turned into. Right?

Then again, perhaps he DOESN’T realize how pathetic he is to be cutting feeling, emotion and LIFE out of his shell of an existence. How pathetic is it that this man is only half-alive, and is not even aware of it?!

He really needs something to shake him out of his stupor. Perhaps Chloe and Emma will be of some help there… Especially Emma… it would do Lex good to learn how to love unconditionally, without expectations of equal or greater return in feelings.

The tension in the room was building and Lex was actually enjoying it. James Cain had been with Luthor Corp while his father was in charge. His loyalties were tested when Lex took over but Lex trusted him as much he trusted anyone working for him.

He didn’t trust him at all.

Ouch! Vindictive bastard, isn’t he? The again, considering that he doesn’t have any personal life, Lex has to receive from jollies from ‘somewhere’.

I had to giggle at the thought that Lex was so damned nervous about meeting with Chloe again. He’s fidgeting as if he’s actually asked her out on a date. Poor nervous wrecked Lex. I wonder if Chloe is going to have any appreciation about the extreme affect she has on the poor bastard. He’s just no longer used to feelings of this intensity, and it seems like it might actually ‘kill’ him, ot at least drive him to taking relaxant medication.

“You can send her in.” Lex replied sounding a little less then calm and cool. He slammed the phone down without saying another word and the fear hit him.
    Damn! He’s actually FRIGHTENED?! Of Chloe? He’s really in a bad state.

“This is very unprofessional. I don’t know what kind of magazine Mr. Walker is running but when he promises me a reporter, she should show up.” Lex was angry and unfortunately the messenger was being fed a healthy dose of his anger.
    I was in HYSTERICS over this. First, he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown over the prospect of meeting up with Chloe… even to the extent where he was considering cancelling the meeting to ‘save himself’. And THEN, when he discovered Chloe wasn’t showing up, he’s indignant and enraged?!

What a hilarious collection of contradicting emotions! Love it!

This is very true but I’m sorry, I have to be honest, I don’t want to write the article.

When I separated myself from Metropolis I promised myself that, even if I came back, I would no longer write about Luthor Corp endeavors. When I came to work for the Monthly Mr. Walker took it upon himself to try to bring me out of retirement by blackmailing me.

He wants to use my past history with you to get this story. It’s not the way I want to work nor is it the way I want to be reintroduced into your life as if I’m using you to further my career.

Before I move forward with this I want to make it clear to Mr. Walker that what I initially agreed upon is how I want to work. To do that I need your help.

If you are willing to work with me I have left my cell number and I ask that you call once you are done reading this letter.
    I was so PROUD of what Chloe had done over here. She not only handled the unethical way her editor was trying to use her, but she also managed to enlist Lex’s help in thwarting her editor’s scheming… AND she managed to get out of the interview without alienating Lex. BRILLIANT bit of diplomacy and strategizing from Chloe… She is demonstrating manipulation abilities worthy of a Luthor.

As the phone rang all of Lex’s earlier anxiety had washed away. There was no reason for him to be nervous. Even if he was no longer in love with Chloe he still respected her. Reading her letter reminded him of all things he already knew about her.

Without even seeing him she knew he would be upset about her not showing up. Her honesty about their past also warmed him. He never wanted to hurt her but managed to do just that. If she was weary about doing the piece then he would find another reporter.
    It seems like Chloe’s letter had hit exactly the chord she was aiming for in Lex. He has acknowledged that he respects her for her candid honesty, and he plans to reward her directness by helping her out with her problem. Not only that, but he even feels a ‘little’ guilty about the part he played in forcing her to take on an interview job that she obviously wanted no part of.

Niiice work, Chloe!
    You’ve got Lex exactly where you want him.

She chuckled on the other end and things were going smoothly so far. It was as if they had spoken the past nine years but in reality they hadn’t.
    It WAS interesting to see how easily they fell into banter and candid conversation with each other again. Especially considering how nervous they both were feeling about meeting up again.

“Are you sure? I can just quit but it would be so much easier on Emma and me if I keep this job.” Chloe mentioned a name Lex knew. Her little girl had to be about six now. He had no idea what the child looked like but he was sure she was as beautiful as her mother.
    awww, is he forming fond pictures in his head already? I can’t wait to see his reaction when he finally meets the youngling Sullivan. Will she be cheeky and challenging? Sweet, playful and unassuming? Shy? Will he fall in love with the child at first sight? Or will he (at first) be bewildered and regard the child as an ‘obstacle’ that needs to be overcome before Chloe can be won over?

Lex wanted to ask what those reason were. He wanted into inquire as to why she was back but that wasn’t his place. He knew it would give him more control but right now he just wanted to know for his own reasons. “If you don’t want to do the piece I understand. I don’t want our past to affect you now. I’ll still help no matter what you do.”

“I’ll do the article but it will be my last Luthor Corp piece.” She answered and it appeared things were settled.
    It seems like Lex is actually going to have to CHARM a reporter into interviewing him?! Oh, the ironies! LOL! But I get the feeling Chloe has already accepted that she’s going to be writing a story on Lex, especially since she made it a point to say that this would be the ‘last’ LuthorCorp article she will be producing.

But I wonder what was in the folder her editor handed to her. It seems like he was asking her to investigate something very specific (and potentially scandalous about LuthorCorp or Lex).

Heh. I’m sure everything Lex is feeling is reflected in equal intensity in Chloe. She was also pretty nervous about meeting with Lex again, and I’m not sure whether she has forgiven him for whatever cruel way he broke her heart. I can’t wait to find out how the meeting goes. Please update soon.

oh i really love this story!!! Please come back with more...I wnat to see how Lex reacts to chloe...

Update soon please!!!

-K-

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information