+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Payback Time (PG)

Re: Payback Time ( PG )

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Nobody answered, but Lex could swear there was a trace of magnolia in the air. Had the young woman overheard their argument ? He didn't know why but he didn't like the feeling of appearing weak in front of her eyes.
    Uuuuh- he remember the scent. Such a lover boy isn't he
    And he wished for it to be Chloe....awwww....
    Next part please

GRRRRRR I hate that old man, everything is his fault!!!

Lets see if that explosion never happened, Lionel would be behind bars, Lex would have realized in time he was in love with Chloe and that would have saved a lot of pain from both sides.

What is Chloe going to do with the extra information? Is Lionel going to find out she is alive?

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Disclaimer: see Chapter 1.

A/N: I'm really pleased with your reviews on the previous chapters and I hope you'll find these two as interesting as the ones you've read so far. Keep your comments coming !

Good reading !

CHAPTER 7: No Laughing Matter

“ You've been there a month and you haven't found anything useful yet, Miss Lawrence ? “ asked Clarkson.

“ I've given you one important piece of information: Alexander had nothing to do with what was going on in that lab. “

“ I'm not convinced, Miss Lawrence. Have you got written proof of his innocence ? “

“I overheard a conversation he had with his father, agent. He wasn't involved. “

“ About that conversation... what else did they talk about ? You forgot to send a typed report, Miss Lawrence. “

“ It was a private conversation, Clarkson. Nothing the FBI would be interested in. “

“ Let me be the judge of that. “

“ Listen to me, and listen to me very carefully, agent Clarkson. I'm here to nail Lionel Luthor not to betray a friend. He has a constitutional right to protect his privacy. “

“ Not if it's a question of national security. “

“ This conversation's starting to sound too much like one of those bad spy films made for TV. “

“ This is no laughing matter, Miss Lawrence. “

“Oh, I'm not laughing, agent Clarkson. Believe me, making the man who had my father killed and robbed me of my life pay is no laughing matter, “ stated Chloe gravely. “This is the first time you mention ' national security ' as the reason for this investigation. What are we exactly talking about ? “ asked Chloe, turning around to see Lex come into the maze she had entered to make her call.

“ Bacteriological warfare, Miss Lawrence, “ responded Agent Clarkson.

“ What ? “ asked Chloe in a strangled voice, keeping her eyes fastened on Lex's face and noticing he wasn't wearing his usual shades.

“ Bacterio... “

“ Yes, I've heard it the first time. Listen, I've got to go. “

“ Is he there, Miss Lawrence ? “

“ I'll call you back, “ she snapped, flipping the mobile shut.

“ Is everything all right at home, Miss Lawrence ? “ asked Lex, sensing something had upset the young woman.

“ Yes, everything's been taken care of. I was talking to my neighbour Suzy to make sure she remembered to water the plants. It seems my favourite fern's been attacked by some fungus or other. “

“ Despite belonging to a species that has survived millions of years, a fern is certainly a delicate plant, “ commented Lex. “ Have you finished your packing, Lindsey ? “

“ Yes, my suitcases are already in the hall. “

“ Fine. My chauffer'll take everything to the penthouse in Metropolis. Can you drive, Lindsey ? “

“ Yes, I can. Why ? “

“ Have you ever driven a car that hasn't got an automatic gearbox ? “

“ No. What do you have in mind, Mr Luthor ? “

“ I need you to take me somewhere. Come to the garage. I'll let you pick the car, Lindsey. “

“ I'm not used to driving expensive sports cars, Mr Luthor. I'm aware you love speed and I'm a conservative driver. “

“ Well... and where's your spirit of adventure, Lindsey ? “ asked Lex, turning on the lights of the garage. “ Which one shall we take ? “

“You mustn't value your life too much if you're ready to sit in one of these cars with me behind the wheel. “

“ I trust your instincts, Lindsey. They haven't failed you so far. Your help at the meetings has been invaluable. You're my eyes and that's what I'm asking of you now. Lend me your eyes and let me worry about the gears. “

“ Couldn't you ask your chauffer to take us wherever you want to go along with the luggage ? “

“ No, not where we're going. I never thought you'd be a chicken, Lindsey. “

“ I'm not ! “ exclaimed Lex.

“ So... indulge me. Pick one ! “

“ The Porsche, “ answered Chloe. “You've always loved driving that Porsche, “ she murmured, while Lex fetched the keys from the board.

“ Pardon ? Did you say something, Lindsey ? “

“ I said the Porsche's a wonderful piece of engineering. “

“ No one like the Germans to build first-rate cars. “

“ We'll see how good they really are if we arrive in Metropolis in one piece. “

Don't stop here. Go to chapter 8 and see how the drive turns out.
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2009 at 08:11.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

A/N: Here's the promised second chapter.

CHAPTER 8: The Pact

The drive to Metropolis had been an ordeal for Chloe. She was a total wreck and didn't know whether to blame everything to the nerves of driving an outrageously expensive car or to the fact that she had had to endure the feel of Lex's hand on her own to shift the gears from Smallville to the city.

“ What are we doing in this Dumpster ? “ asked Chloe ironically in an attempt to cover up her shaking.

“ Are you cold ? “ asked Lex with a knowing smile plastered on his face.

“ Wipe that smile off your face, Mr Luthor. “

“ You shouldn't address your boss in such terms, Miss Lawrence. It could get you fired. “

“ Then, stop the innuendos. “

“ You are reading things that aren't there, Lindsey. Now, let's see if you can find a way to get us in, Miss Lawrence. “

“ Wait..., “ said Chloe, grabbing him by his sleeve.” Are you asking me to break an entry, Mr Luthor ? “

“ Well, technically, it wouldn't be called breaking an entry. You see, if we both get in, it wouldn't be a crime. This building belongs to Luthorcorp. “

“ Then, why don't you use the front door ? Haven't you got a key ? “

“ No, Miss Lawrence. My father's got the key. Now, would you get us inside, please ? “

“ Let me ask you a question, Mr Luthor. Is this where the accident took place ? “

“ You're smart. Lindsey.Yes, I need to have a look at that lab again. “

“ Why don't you wait for the police to finish the enquiry ? “

“ I don't trust the police. Over half of them are on my father's payroll, Lindsey. “

“ What do you expect to find here, Mr Luthor ? Any proof of foul play must have been already erased. “

“ Why are you here, Lindsey ? “

“ What do you mean ? “ asked Chloe, swallowing the lump in her throat.

“ You should change your perfume. I stopped by my father's office last Friday to leave him some documents. He wasn't there but you were. What were you looking for, Lindsey ? “

“ I entered his office to use the toilet, “ lied a desperate Chloe. “ They were cleaning the employees' rest rooms and... “

“ That's a lame excuse, Miss Lawrence. Don't insult my intelligence. I knew from the moment I hired you there was something special about you. You aren't spying on me. The security cameras in the mansion, the penthouse and my office would have betrayed you. And tell me I'm naοve, but I trust you, and I don't trust many people. What has my father done to you ? “ he asked concernedly, placing his hands on her shoulders.

“ Why do you think he's done anything to me ? “ she asked, laughing nervously.

“ How old are you, Lindsey ? “ asked a tormented Lex, gripping her more tightly.

“ Why are you asking me that again ? “ murmured Chloe.

“ I must be going crazy because, sometimes, when you laugh you remind me of a girl I used to know. “

“ Well, I'm not her, Mr Luthor. “

“ No, you cannot be. She's been dead for thirteen years. “

“Was she someone special in your life ? “

“ Yes, she was. She gave up everything for me and I let her down, “ added an emotional Lex. “ I won't ask you what it is you've got against my father. Trust me, there are a lot of people in this world who'd love to see him dead. Would you help me put him behind bars, Miss Lawrence ? Will you help me avenge the death of a dear friend and her father ? “

“ I will, Mr Luthor. “

“ Call me Lex. “

Well, what do you think of this installment ? Any guesses of what might happen next ? Leave your review and you'll soon find out.
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2009 at 08:12.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I've read up to all the chapters on FF.net so I want spoil anything about that, but I will say taht this story is going very well and I can't wait until all is revealed.

He knows, doesn't he? At least he is suspicious, Lex is smart. How long is Chloe able to hold everything up?

And why is he always asking her age if he can go to her file and find out?

NS Senior Member Senior Member

OK now I've read everything and FF.net and I want to say job very well done. Loved the ending.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Oh my goodness you need to update. I love this.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

UPDATE!!!! I love you for that Can we have another one please?Pretty please?

A/N: Hello again and thanks for your faithful reading and reviewing. Here are two chapters to satisfy your crave for bantering and suspense. There's a lot of angst in store for our two favourite characters but you know I'm a sucker for romance and happy endings so don't despair !

Enjoy and keep those reviews coming ! ( Feedback helps me improve my writing for future stories. )

CHAPTER 9: Breaking an Entry

“ Wait ! “exclaimed Lex, placing his hand on top of hers to stop her from working on the lock.

“ What's the matter ? Do you think it might be booby-trapped ? “ she asked raising her eyes to his.

“ No, it's not that. I think this was a bad idea. I shouldn't have dragged you here. I've no right to put you in danger. “

“ I'm a grown-up woman, Lex. “

“ I cannot guarantee your safety, Lindsey. I'm not sure I'll be able to protect you. I've already got two deaths on my conscience. Two innocent people died – one of them a promising young reporter like you- to help me put my father in prison thirteen years ago. Once we get through that door, nothing'll be the same. “

“ I've come to Kansas for this. You surmised that much and I won't lie to you. Your father intimidated me a long time ago and it's high time he paid for what he's done to both of us. “

“ Are you sure you want to go along with this, Lindsey ? “

“ I am. Step back and let me work my magic, “ she answered. “ Are you sure this is the place, Lex ? “ asked Chloe after cracking the back door open with a hairpin. “ Security sucks ! I've just used one of the oldest tricks in the world to get us in. “

“ Camouflage, Lindsey. What better place than an abandoned innocent-looking building to keep your deep dark secrets ? By the way, I didn't know you had long hair. “

“ That's because I always wear it up. Shall we ? “ she said , guiding Lex inside. “ Now... which way ? “

“ Can you see the corridor on the left ? It's the last door at the end of it. “

“ OK, “ she said, letting him take her by the arm. “ Well... there's a little problem, Lex. Have you got a password or something ? The hairpin will be of no use here. Are you certain there are no cameras hidden somewhere ? “

“ We'll take care of them later on. Let's try this master key card. It works in every Luthorcorp building and dad's got the other one. “

“ Let' see..., “ she said, sliding the card. “ Bingo ! We're in. “

“ You're starting to like this, aren't you ? “ asked Lex with a smile.

“ I hardly get a rush of adventure writing my restaurant reviews for the magazine, “ she responded, stepping in. “ Lex ? “

“ What is it ? Tell me what you can see. “

“ Nothing. It's as if a neutron bomb had suddenly fell from the sky. They have emptied the whole place. It's spotless. What about the police enquiry ? “

“ Sealed. I told you my father has the police on his payroll. “

“ I should have known Mr Luthor'd resort to his old tricks. “

“ What do you know of his old tricks ? “

“ It was just a manner of speaking. His reputation precedes him and ... “

“ ... you overheard our argument, didn't you ? “ he asked pointblank.

“ I... I ... “ stammered Chloe.

“ It's all right, Lindsey. All the household must have heard us. “

“ I'm not in the habit of eavesdropping, and I feel guilty about intruding on your privacy. The things that were said in that room were too personal. You have my promise nobody'll hear them from my lips. “

“ Thanks, “ said Lex, grabbing her tightly by the shoulders. “ Let's check the other room to see if they've left anything behind and then, we'll go home. “

“ What about the tapes ? “

“ There are no tapes. The recordings are stored on the server. I'll get someone to hack in. “

Half an hour later the empty-handed couple was sitting again in the Porsche.

“ I'm sorry it turned out to be a goose chase. “

“ Don't be, Lindsey. If anything, we know that dad's involved in something really big and that there are important people behind this. “

“ About the security recordings... I can help, “ said Chloe, turning on the ignition.

“ I thought your computer abilities were limited to operating a word-processor and a spreadsheet, Lindsey ! Don't tell me I've hired a hacker as well ! “ exclaimed a surprised Lex, turning around in his seat.

“ I may know a thing or two. “

“ What else are you hiding from me ? You aren't working for the government, are you ? “

“ I'm not on anyone's payroll ! Well, except for the magazine's, “ she responded heatedly.

“ You aren't a fed. We Luthors have a nose for smelling them from afar. Besides you're too beautiful to be one of them. “

“ You're a flatterer, Mr Luthor. “

“ I may not see but I'm not blind, “ he smiled.

“ You certainly have a way with words. To the penthouse ? “

“ Yes, let me..., “ said Lex, stretching out his hand towards the gearbox.

“ It's OK. I've got it, “ interrupted Chloe. No way she'd endure the touch of his hand all the way to the penthouse. The trip from Smallville had been more than enough.

“ Suit yourself, Miss Lawrence, “ he responded with a smirk. “ Just remember: No speeding tickets or scratches, or there'll be hell to pay. “

“ Oh, shut up ! “ exclaimed Chloe.

“ Are you shutting up your boss, Miss Lawrence ? “ he asked with a laugh.

Chloe felt butterflies in her stomach. For the life of her she couldn't remember hearing him laugh before, and she had never dreamt it'd be that musical. She was falling hard, and their investigation was just starting.

What do you think of how their relationship's evolving ? To find out more about their investigation, go to the following chapter.
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2009 at 08:12.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information