+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Payback Time (PG)

Happy-ending addict Senior Member lexie's Avatar

Re: Payback Time ( PG )

Disclaimer: see Chapter 1.

A/N: Thanks to my faithful readers for leaving your reviews. I'm pleased you like the storyline thus far. If this is your first time here or you didn't dare to leave your impressions before, please, I'd appreciate feedback. Don't be afraid to say what you think.

Here's the second part of chapter 2 and, as a bonus, a short chapter 3. Good reading !

CHAPTER 2: Time to Collect-Part B

It was close to one o'clock when the taxi parked in front of her block of flats, and Chloe saw a man get out of a car across the street. It didn't take her long to realise he was there for her and she felt a knot in the pit of her stomach. In spite of all those years, the new face and the new identity, the strongest link with her past hadn't been severed. She had known the day would come when they'd knock at her door to collect, and she wasn't ready- not now that she knew something about herself she had ignored.

“ Miss Lawrence ? I'm Agent Clarkson from the FBI, “ he said, flashing the badge. “ Could I have a word with you ? “

“ Clarkson, you said ? “ asked Chloe. The name certainly was a joke.

“ Couldn't you have waited until tomorrow ? Do you live in a different time zone ? The last time I checked it was one o'clock, and I really feel like taking an aspirin and going to bed. And no, I'm not making a proposition if that's what you're thinking. I'm not that desperate. “

“ Have you ever been told you have a sharp tongue, Miss Lawrence ? “

“ What do you want, Mr Clarkson ? “ asked Chloe exasperated.

“ It's not what I want but what the government wants, Miss Lawrence. Why don't we go up ?

“OK. But don't you get any ideas in that head of yours. “

Once inside the apartment, Chloe kicked off her shoes, took off her jacket and sat on the sofa with her feet tucked underneath her.

“ Well, Agent Clarkson, let's come straight to the point. What does Uncle Sam want from me ? “

“ I assume you've learnt about the recent developments. “

“ Recent developments ? “

“ The lab accident that left the younger Luthor blind. It was on the front page of every major newspaper in the country. “

“ Oh, yes ! I think I've read something about it on the net, “ confessed a poker-faced Chloe.

“ We need your help on this case. “

“ My help ? I don't see how I can help. Remember that I'm part of the Witness Protection Program. I'm not supposed to come near any of the people that were once part of my life- least of all the Luthors.

“ I know how you feel, Miss Lawrence, but... “

“ You couldn't possibly know what I feel like, agent. Still, I've made my bed and I'm prepared to lie on it. I don't regret what I did. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's not the deed but what I've lost that I regret. “

“ You knew that one day we'd ask for your help again. You weren't fit to testify in court and Mr Luthor got away with murder. Now, he's involved in something bigger, and we've got reason to believe he's behind the attempt on his son's life. “

“Knowing the old devil, it wouldn't surprise me. What I don't understand is why he waited thirteen years. “

“He didn't. This wouldn't be his first attempt at finishing Alexander. The day your safe house exploded, the younger Luthor was found dying on the floor of his study. Poisoned wine. Those Luthors are definitely made of strong stuff. He survived a chemical onslaught that would have killed 99.9 of people and he required a very expensive treatment to purify his blood every 72 hours, “ explained the agent to a stunned Chloe.

“ What is it that you want me to do ? “ asked Chloe, trying to hide the effect the agent's revelation had had on her.

“ You've got an advantage, Miss Lawrence. You look nothing like your old self, and that charming accent of yours would never be associated with the midwestern girl you used to be. Were you to come near them, they wouldn't recognise you. Besides, you were just seventeen and, judging by the old photos I've seen of you, they could never confuse the girl they knew with the sophisticated woman in her thirties you're now. “

“ Well, gee, thanks... I guess, “ said Chloe with a smirk. “ But tell me, agent, how am I supposed to come near Luthor without blowing my cover ? “

“ Alexander's condition'll require him to have a personal assistant that could be his ' eyes', so to speak, and ... “

“ Alexander ? Aren't we talking about getting Lionel ? “ interrupted Chloe with a puzzled look.

“ Getting close to the son would be easier. He's an attractive young man and you're a beautiful young woman- although he wouldn't be able to see that, poor bastard. “

“ Why don't you refrain from making hurtful comments, agent Clarkson ? “ she exploded.” Just stick to the facts, please. “

“ I'm sorry, Miss Lawrence. I didn't think you'd be so touchy, considering he's the reason why you're part of the program. “

“ Let it rest, agent, “ snarled Chloe. “ Couldn't you send one of your undercover agents to spy on Lionel Luthor ? “

“ We tried that in the past but the old man smells federals from miles. “

“ I wonder how he manages to do that. You're the masters of disguise, “ she added ironically.

“ As I was saying... being Alexander's assistant would put you in a priviliged position. You'd have access to confidential information and be near Lionel Luthor. “

“ You're poor judges of character, agent. There's no love lost between those two, and you don't know Alexander as I do. He's been raised to distrust strangers, and there's no one I know who could get close enough to be privy to his personal or business matters. “

“ You're right, Miss Lawrence. You know him. You know how he thinks and that makes you perfect for the plan. “

“ I'm not spying on him, agent. It's out of the question. My days as an intrepid reporter are over, “ she shouted, leaving the sofa.

“ It'd be the perfect way to send to prison the man who killed your father, Miss Lawrence. Isn't that incentive enough ? Besides, you owe us. “

“ You're asking me to renounce to everything I've managed to build in these last thirteen years. And what's more you want me to deceive someone I used to call my friend, “ she said, pacing up and down the room for a couple of minutes. “ Let me sleep on it, agent. “

“ I'll wait for your call, Miss Lawrence, “ he said, walking towards the front door.

“ Goodnight, “ said Chloe, locking the door behind him.

Here's the promised bonus chapter. Enjoy !
    CHAPTER 3: The Decision

Chloe arrived at the magazine when the clock struck nine. She had taken extra care with her wardrobe and make-up to cover up the puffy nose, the red eyes and the bags she got after a particularly sleepless and tearful night.

“ Good heavens , L ! What in bloody hell's happened to you ? “ asked her very British friend Janice. “ Have you been crying ? “

“ Not at all, Janice. I've spent too many hours in front of the computer screen to finish that damn article. My eyes were dry and I've just put some drops in them. “

“ You can't fool me, L. Why don't you confide in me ? I promise I won't tell. I'm the Bank of England as far as secrets go. “

“ Wouldn't that be Fort Knox ? “ asked Chloe, remembering the nickname Lex and her had given to an old friend of theirs. “ You're a wonderful friend but there's nothing to tell. However, I need to ask you a favour, Janice. I'm taking my holidays now and... “

“ That's the best news I've heard so far. You could use them, L. You're on the verge of a nervous breakdown, I can tell. Whatever happened yesterday morning has clearly pushed you closer to the edge, my friend, “ added her perceptive friend.

“ You could say I had an epiphany. I realised it's high time I stopped running away. I've been hiding for too long. “

“ I know what you mean, L. It's time to live and let your hair down. Have you thought of taking a cruise to the Caribbean ? “

“ Nothing as sophisticated as that. I was thinking of spending the three-month vacation the magazine owes me in Kansas. “

“ The countryside ? What's a cosmopolitan girl like you going to do in the middle of nowhere ? “

“ It'd be the perfect place to rest my weary mind but I've got a tiny little problem “

“ That's where I come in, isn't it ? “

“ Right. I've spent my savings on my wardrobe and the new carpet I bought for the apartment so I'm going to need a temporary job to make ends meet. “

“ Why don't you ask the boss for an advance ? “

“ I wouldn't like to owe him more than it's necessary, Janice. You know what he's like.”

“ Yes, yes, I know what you mean.What kind of job were you thinking of ? “

“ Maybe secretary or assistant. Something that involved clerical work. I'd need a letter of recommendation and I was wondering if your grandmother could write one for me. “

“ Grandma ? What have you got up your sleeve, L ? You want to impress someone ? OK... OK... I won't ask. I'll talk to her. She dotes on you so, I guess, it won't be a problem. Sometimes I think she loves you more than me. “

“ Thanks, Janice. You're a dear. “

“ Don't mention it, love. It'll be my pleasure. “

The wheels were already in motion and the only thing left now was to call Agent Clarkson with her answer. She'd agree to colaborate but in her own terms because she didn't trust the FBI. Some of its agents were easily bought, she was the living proof- their corruptible nature had cost Gabe his life and her a lot of pain and suffering. She couldn't trust anyone who could be outsmarted by the devil incarnate, and she didn't mean Lex Luthor. She'd agree to come back because it was the right thing to do. It was definitely high time Lionel paid for what he had done to her life and that of his son.

Well ? What do you think ? Are you willing to read what happens next ? Review !
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2009 at 08:07.
    Thxs to beeej for the avi

A MASTER LIST OF ALL MY COMPLETED WORKS & WIPs w/PDFs

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

"At Second Sight" August 21 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Was that extra chapter because of me??? I'm flattered!!!!

SO Chloe ohh sorry Lindsey (she had to be an L.L didn't she, Blahh!!!) is going to do the right thing, meaning she is going to throw herself in the middle of the sharks, you go Chloe!!!!

Chloe working with Lex hummmm, he will discover sooner or latter, I just hope Lionel won't. And of course he would smell Feds, how could he not be caught already if he didn't.

You are going down this time, Lionel, you just wait and see!!

So lexieeee, feel sorryy of us your poor fans and don't make us wait to long??? ok???

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

The plot gets more interesting. it's rather depressing that, even after everything she went through. Chloe never got a chance to testify in court. It seems like Lionel won in that regard after all. But at least now, Chloe is going to have a chance to finally exact her vengeance... heh, or get her 'payback'?

The plan to have her insinuated within earshot (and investigative advantage) of Lionel Luthor seems like a good one. Excellent plan. The only thing I am 'slightly' confused about is why Chloe can't tell Lex her real identity. She doesn't trust him? The FBI don't trust him?

Surely Lex would be happy to cooperate in bringing down the man who has been a thorn in his side his entire life...? not to mention the same man who had made no less than two attempts at ending his life?

I look forward to seeing how the fic progresses, please update soon. And thanks for the bonus chapter. It was fun seeing 'L' interacting with the people from her 'civilian identity' life. It seems like she has done very well for herself, even after suffering such tragedy and being uprooted from her former life. Go, Chloe!

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I'm liking this plan no matter how much I'm not liking this Agent Clarkson guy. Sad that Chloe looks so different but I guess that won't matter to Lex now and it is necessary to get passed Lionel. I hope she looks different enough. I wonder if she'll reveal herself to Lex or if something she does will be enough to clue him in. Very interested to know what happens next.

Nyx: well... the extra chapter was in part a means to an end, I wanted to whet your appetite for more and to make you read my other fic ¨ Second Chances ¨.

somethingeasy: as to your ´ slight ´ confusion, the FBI doesn´t trust Lex- you´ll see that later in the fic. Chloe could have revealed her identity to Lex but that´d mean blowing up her cover - something not very wise with Lionel around and with Lex not being able to give 100% yet. She fears for her and Lex and believes this is , for the time being, the best way to help and protect him. I hope that answers your question.
    As I told you in a previous thread, I´d love to know your opinion on my other story ¨ Second Chances ¨. Pleeease, give it a try !

westingwolf:yeah, Clarkson´s hateful, isn´t he ? Maybe he´s a bit stereotyped but feds aren´t really anybody´s cup of tea.

The story´s ready on my computer so don´t panic, I´ll update next week.
    Have a nice weekend !
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2009 at 08:08.

"PERMANENT" WIPs (UNLESS MY CHLEX MUSE AWAKENS AGAIN AND I GET A LONG-NEEDED CLONE OF MYSELF)

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

Disclaimer: see Chapter 1.

A/N: Thanks again for your beautiful reviews. I hope you'll enjoy the playful and flirty bantering in this new chapter and the ones that are still to come. Keep your comments coming. I love them !

Good reading !

CHAPTER 4: The Job Interview

A very professional Chloe, wearing an Armani trouser suit and Italian high heels, crossed the doors of Luthorcorp to attend a formal job interview with Lionel's son and heir. She couldn't remember feeling so nervous in her life. As a matter of fact, she prayed her legs would stop shaking and her stomach would stop making noises before she either collapsed in front of Lex or threw up on his expensive Persian rug.

“ Miss Lawrence, Mr Luthor's ready to see you. Please, come this way, “ said a well-mannered secretary, opening the door of Lex's private office.

“ Miss Lawrence to see you, Mr Luthor, “ announced the secretary to the elegant man in a dark blue tailored suit who was standing near the window with his back to the door.

“ Thank you, Jennifer. Before you leave..., “ he said, turning around, “ would you care for a cup of coffee, Miss Lawrence ? “ he asked, addressing a jittery Chloe.

“ I... I'd love one if it's not too much of an imposition, please, “ she answered, making an effort to look back at Jennifer.

“ How do you like it, madam ? “

“ Strong with two lumps of sugar, please. “

“ What about you, sir ? “

“ Thanks, I'll pass, Jennifer. “

“ All right, sir. I'll be right back. “

“ Now that we've ascertained you're a coffee person, shall we formally introduce ourselves ? “ he asked with the smirk she remembered so well.

“ Pleased to meet you, Mr Luthor, “ she said, taking the hand he extended after he carefully circumvented his desk.

“ Pleased to meet you, Miss Lawrence, “ he answered, shaking her hand.“ I like the perfume you're wearing. It's got a trace of magnolia, “ he added, raising up his chin to smell the air around her. “ The perfect scent for your southern accent, “ he said with a smile.

“ They've already warned me about you, Mr Luthor, “ answered Chloe with her southern drawl in an attempt to cover up her embarrassment. She had seen Lex flirt with other women in the past but she'd never dreamt of ever being one of them.

“ And what have they told you about me ? “

“ Nothing I can't handle, Mr Luthor. “

“ Wise move, Miss Lawrence. Please have a seat, “ he said, gesturing her to sit down.” I must say I'm impressed. You come with the highest recommendations. Lady Sutherland's no less ! She told me I'd be a fool to let an accomplished young lady like you slip away. What she said makes me wish I could see you with my own eyes. “

“ Lady Surtherland's a charming old woman and it's been a pleasure to be her assisstant. I'm sure that by accomplishments she was referring to my professional skills, Mr Luthor, “ added a flustered Chloe.

“ Not that I doubt your qualifications, Miss Lawrence, but I'm not sure she was referring to that. All the same, having an efficient assistant who happens to be an attractive woman in the bargain is actually a plus. And I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. How soon can you start ? “

“ Does that mean I'm hired ? “

“ You sound surprised. I've checked your references and I assume you haven't lied in your resumé, have you ? Don't you trust in your skills and experience ? “

“ No, it isn't that. It's just that I thought you'd want to know more about me before giving me the job. “

“ I won't say I'm intrigued. A ' sophisticated ' young lady- as Lady Sutherland's described you- who works for one of the country's best-selling women magazines, travels all the way to provincial Kansas and offers her services to a blind billionaire... it makes me wonder. However, I've always had a penchant for the unexplained and you're a riddle I'd love to solve. Puzzles keep my mind sharp and God knows I need to work on my other four senses if I don't want to be crushed. “

“ Somehow I find that hard to imagine. “

“ Appearances are deceptive, Miss Lawrence. Enemies aren't only found round the corner, they also lurk in the bosom of your own family. “

“ I wouldn't know, “ she murmured.

“ I'm glad for you, Miss Lawrence. Let me ask you a question. Your resumé said you aren't married. Is there a man in your life ? “

“ Aren't you getting too personal, Mr Luthor ? “

“ I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to offend you. But taking into account that I'll need you to be at my beck and call 24-7, and that you'll be living under my roof, I have to know.Is there a jealous lover that might object to your living with a playboy billionaire ? “

“ There isn't, “ she answered, swallowing the lump in her throat. Moving in with Lex was something she hadn't thought of.

“ Fine. I'm not up to a sword fight with a young man seeking to defend the honour of a lady. “

“ I can defend myself, Mr Luthor. I don't need a man to fight my fights for me. “

“ I can see that, “ he answered with a broad smile which would have weakened the knees of any woman between five and ninety.

Thank God she was already sitting, and God bless the one who had invented shades. Chloe thought she wouldn't have been able to pull the interview off if he hadn't been wearing them. He might be blind, but she bet his intense gaze could still unsettle whoever dared hold it.

This isn't over yet. Leave your review and, perhaps, I´ll be nice and let you find out how her first meeting with Lex at Luthorcorp turns out before the end of this week.
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2009 at 08:08.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Oh man, I do love this story!

I love your Chlexy banter, and I can't wait to see Chloe and Lex interact more
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Kit:

Thanks for your constant support of my stories !
    Last edited by lexie; 27th July 2009 at 08:09.

"Choices"May 30 '11

PODFIC REQUESTS

INTERVIEW

VIDEOS

we are getting to the verbal judo...can't I haven't used that in ages
    Will Lex continue to be interested in her? God I hope so.
    Great work Lexie

Sooo she went along with the plan, and is going to live under the same roof as Lex, i think i want to trade with her!!!! Blind or not blind he will always have the same charm, ai ai ai...

Is Lionel going to make an appearance??

How will Chloe manage to live with Lex without giving herself away???

I'm going to hold you on your promise lexie i expect to read another chapter of this lovely fic by the end of the week!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information