+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: See Into Me - R - Chloe, Lois, Clark, Lex complete Jun 30 2008

Members

Re: See Into Me - R - Chloe, Lois, Clark, Lex - 10/23

This is a great start. I'm interested to see where it's going.

NS Junior Member

it's a great beginning, i'm curious to see what happen next.

Storyteller

Part 2 Hero

One year ago, 2010

Her son was already fast asleep in the car seat when she arrived in LexCorp. Chloe reached for the toddler. “Sorry, baby,” she cooed soothingly as the boy stirred in her arms. She rocked softly until the baby settled back and buried his nose in the crook of her neck.

Her heart thundered in her chest as she looked over towards the entrance, then stalked her way towards the reception area. “Where’s Lex?” she asked with quiet fury.

“He’s in his office, Ms Sullivan.”

“Alright,” she muttered. Her face was flushed, she knew. She could never hide her emotions the way Lex always could.

I am so high, I can hear heaven.
    I am so high, I can hear heaven.
    Oh but heaven, no heaven don't hear me.

She entered the elevator and pressed the key to take her to the top floor, where Lex’s office was. He adored it there. It made him feel like a king and his high was to stand behind his glass walls overlooking Metropolis as if it were his kingdom. It had not worried her at first. And then it came, when she turned to him at night and thought she saw his father in his eyes.

It was the hunger, she supposed. There was hunger in his eyes. It was a hunger that she could do never quell.

On the year their son was born, tragedy struck. Two hundred and thirty four LexCorp employees were killed in a blazing fire that turned the Smallville plant to a pile of ashes.

“Chloe, there’s more to it than an accident,” Clark claimed that morning, when he dropped by her apartment.

She had turned to him and saw him hunkered down over the playpen, making a toy Superman doll fly right above her son’s head. “What are you saying, Clark?”

His eyes fell to the folders he had brought along with him. “It’s my latest scoop, and it’s going on print tonight. I wanted to show you first.”

Chloe followed his gaze and then walked over to the papers. With the thick folder in her hands, she glanced up at Clark. “Can you—“

He met her eyes and picked up the boy. “I’ll take him down to the ice cream shop downstairs.” Clark walked over to her and reached for Chloe, then placed a kiss on top of her head. “Are you sure you can do this? I can stay,” he offered.

She leaned against him, then froze. “Clark, no. We can’t do this. Not here.” He saw her glance up at the corners of the ceiling.

“Is he taping you?”

“I don’t know anymore,” she confided. “Go. I want to do this alone.”

And that was when she knew. More than two hundred people, including her own father, perished in another one of Lex’s pet science projects. And he did not apologize to her, not really, not enough. She had been pregnant and orphaned but her fiancé had drifted further away, sucked into the abyss of discovery and invention.

Chloe had had enough. She was taking her son and leaving him for good.

The door to his office opened easily enough. It was empty save for a single glass of scotch on the desk. He had probably been called in for an emergency in the lab.

Chloe opened the adjoining door that led to a small makeshift nursery that Lex had had installed. Her issues with his spiral towards becoming less the man she had hoped him to be involved nothing regarding his fatherhood. He gave all the time he could to his son. Chloe turned on one nightlight and laid the baby down for a nap, then proceeded to the office to wait for Lex.

That was when she noticed the smoke. It was coming from the vents. Immediately, Chloe lunged for the nursery door and pushed, but it would not budge. “Eric!” she cried, pummeling at the door. “Oh God, Eric!” She tried to open the door, but it had shut so tightly she knew that this was premeditated.

Chloe grabbed for her phone and called Lex’s number, but the call rolled to voicemail. “Lex! Lex, we’re trapped in your office,” she gasped.

Her mind was growing numb. Chloe rammed her body against the door until her bones turned to must and the last thing she remembered was sliding down the door.

And they say that a hero can save us.
    I'm not gonna stand here and wait.
    I'll hold on to the wings of the eagles.
    Watch as we all fly away.

She awoke to find him standing beside her hospital bed, his eyes bloodshot, his clothes rumpled as if he had not slept for days and paced for hours. “Where’s Eric?” she rasped through her thick throat.

When he looked at her, she felt her insides quiver with something close to fear. “I will stop at nothing until I expose Superman to the world.”

“He’s a hero, Lex.”

“A hero would have saved my little boy,” he spat.

The father was angry the exact moment a mother’s world ended.

Someone told me that love would all save us.
    But how can that be?
    Look what love gave us.
    A world full of killing, and blood-spilling, that
    world never came.

In her mind she accepted one truth. She would never live again.

Yet every day, she existed. One day turned to week, then a month. Every day, she told herself, he had lost the same essential in his life that she did. Sometimes she almost lived an entire hour without remembering that she was now half a person.

On Eric’s birthday they sat down for a quiet dinner and toasted to the precious life that ended too soon. She spoke of Eric’s brightness, of his playfulness, of a smile that would forever be stamped in her brain. “It’s your turn, Lex,” she prompted.

And his offer was, “He let him die because he was my son.”

And she stood up quietly, placed her utensils side by side on the plate, then tossed her napkin on the table. “I can’t live with you like this.”

“You will not leave me.”

She turned liquid eyes at the man she no longer knew. “I’m not going to go on like this, Lex,” she said.

Now that the world isn't ending, it's love that I'm sending to you.
    It isn't the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do.

Before her eyes, the heavy cloak of fury and revenge seemed to fall off his shoulders. Her proud Lex Luthor stumbled towards her and knelt, then wrapped his arms around her thighs. The moment tears soaked through her clothes and touched her skin, she buried her fingers in his shoulders and sank to her knees.

“Swear you’ll not leave me.”

She cradled his head in her chest. “Lex, you’re hurting me,” she whispered as he squeezed her hip.

“Swear.”

And they say that a hero can save us.
    I'm not gonna stand here and wait.
    I'll hold on to the wings of the eagles.
    Watch as we all fly away.

The next day, Chloe Sullivan ran out of the building to meet Lana. The brunette handed her keys. “I paid for it in cash, just like you asked.”

Chloe took the keys, then embraced her friend. “Thank you.”

“Where are you going, Chloe?”

“An editor friend of mine got me a job to cover a story in Eastern Europe. He’ll never find me there. Lana, promise me no one will know.”

“I promise,” Lana swore.

“Look in on Lex? Especially the first few days…” Chloe got in and drove away.

And they're watching us (Watching us)
    They're watching us (watching us) as we all fly away.

tbc

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Re: See Into Me - R - Chloe, Lois, Clark, Lex - 10/28

So she fakes her sons death to save her and her son from Lex. Interesting...
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Wow!!!! That was a really heavy chapter. Lots of sadness. Is the baby really dead? I got the impression that he was. Don't know that I like that she left him after he got on his knees & wept for her not to. Can't wait to read more.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Sounds like they really did lose their son which is so sad. And I can't believe Lex allowed for his stupid science experiments to kill all those people including her dad. I agree with lj, I can't believe Chloe was able to leave him after he opened himself up like that to her. I know he's done wrong, but he seemed so vunerable in that moment. I must know what's going on and I still refuse to believe Chloe is dead.

Oh my freaking goodness!!! What an amazing powerful chapter, it was so sad her son died?! I hope he isn't really dead, gosh that part where Lex was asking her not to leave it was so sad, but I'm so glad she did leave. Gah! I can't wait till you update please soon soon!!
    Thanks so much for posting this, its so good!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

So far, the fic seems amazing. I'm one of those people who believes that the first chapter actually has Chloe Sullivan posing as Lois Lane. The accident was supposed to have killed one female and disfigured another? So Lois died and Chloe had enough plastic surgery to change her features to get away with passing for her dead cousin.

The only thing Chloe couldn't change were her distinctive green eyes, so she managed to get the story out that Lois had been blinded and had Chloe Sullivan's eyes used to replace her own. And... ta-daaa instant perfect identity switch

The second chapter covered some of the reasons why she did such a thing. Poor Chloe! Imagine being married to a funny, charming, sweet, generous Lex Luthor, only to see him slowly losing all the parts of his persoanlity that made him such a wonderful person. Seeing him turn into a person that you hate and despise.

Of course, this is Chloe Sullivan, and she's the stubborn type who would've stuck by her husband with every intention of turning him back into the wonderful man he used to be.

But then horrible things happened.

That was when she noticed the smoke. It was coming from the vents. Immediately, Chloe lunged for the nursery door and pushed, but it would not budge. “Eric!” she cried, pummeling at the door. “Oh God, Eric!” She tried to open the door, but it had shut so tightly she knew that this was premeditated.
    Premeditated by who? How was this arranged? Were Chloe and Eric meant to be the targets, or was this a trap meant for Lex Luthor? Who did this?

She awoke to find him standing beside her hospital bed, his eyes bloodshot, his clothes rumpled as if he had not slept for days and paced for hours. “Where’s Eric?” she rasped through her thick throat.

When he looked at her, she felt her insides quiver with something close to fear. “I will stop at nothing until I expose Superman to the world.”

“He’s a hero, Lex.”

“A hero would have saved my little boy,” he spat.

The father was angry the exact moment a mother’s world ended.
    The start of this quote really got to me. All this evidence on how Lex had been showing such weakness through his grief and despair during the time Chloe was unconscious.

But then he turned from the greiving father and husband that Chloe needed into the ruthless and vindictive power hungry predator that Chloe hated. I suppose it's understandable that Lex would refuse to continue to indulge weaknesses like sorrow for much longer, but he should have realized that Chloe needed comforting and empathy... NOT promises of retribution.

Worst of all, the stupid asshole wanted vegeance and retribution against an innocent. WHY did he suddenly focus his attentions on Superman, when it was obvious that someone else was guilty of his son't death?

Unless the gas venting through the office wasn't the fault of some outside party, but another one of those 'LexCorp experiments gone wrong'...?

But that's ridiculous, WHAT kind of an experiment would have resulted in poison gas being shunted through Lex's office while locking all exit doors??!!

Before her eyes, the heavy cloak of fury and revenge seemed to fall off his shoulders. Her proud Lex Luthor stumbled towards her and knelt, then wrapped his arms around her thighs. The moment tears soaked through her clothes and touched her skin, she buried her fingers in his shoulders and sank to her knees.

“Swear you’ll not leave me.”

She cradled his head in her chest. “Lex, you’re hurting me,” she whispered as he squeezed her hip.

“Swear.”
    And then the only other time Lex showed his wife vulnerablity was when she was threatening to leave him. It was beautiful how he revealed how much he needed her, but too little too late.

I'm guessing that after Chloe left, Lex must have given Lois a substantial amount of money to track her down and 'bring back his estranged wife'. But things didn't work out as simple as that.

End result, Lois is dead and Chloe is hiding in plain sight under her dead cousin's identity.

This is only a guess on my part, but it seems to fit. I'm looking forward to getting a little more of the backstory. Such as how much Lex must have suffered and ranted and raved about his wife leaving. What kind of recources he must have spent to find her. HOW he manged to convince Lois to bring her back... Lois hates him, and I can't imagine her going after Chloe without an agenda of her own.

please write more. please write quickly. I NEED to know what happens next. Is there going to be ANY kind of a happy ending? Is Lex going to finally turn back into the man that Chloe was in love with?

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

I was just curious to see how this fic was going. It's been a while since I checked, that I was SURE there had been some updates during my time away. But...

please update soon. I have some ideas, and I made some of my inadequete guesses about where this fic came from and where it was going. But my guesswork is a poor second to Catheryne's actual writing.

NS Full Member

Oh my God - this story really sets free all kind of emotions: fear, sadness, anger and pain. And thus really touches my soul.

I only hope that Chloe and Lex will find their way back together and make it through.

PLEASE, I'm begging you on my knees: PLEASE update soon!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information