+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden in the Shadows (R)

NS Senior Member Senior Member letia84's Avatar

Hidden in the Shadows (R)

Banner by Cheryl

Notes: Hello all this is my first crossover story for Chlex and Supernatural. Your feedback is always welcomed and thank you to lj715 for acting as my second pair of eyes.

As we have a number of fics on here with the same titles, I'm just going to poke my head in here for a bit and will be doing the same in the other similarly titled fic. For those looking for Kit Merlot's fic: Shadows of the Past~tigerbaby

Title: Hidden in the Shadows
    Author: Letia84
    Rating: R For Adult Language, Sexual Content, and Violence
    Disclaimer: I do not own these characters. Owned by DC and Warner Brothers
    Summary: Chloe has been searching for her mother since she was twelve and has hit one dead end after another. To her surprise, she isn’t the only one looking for her and Lex Luthor comes to her with news of her mother’s whereabouts. After seeing her mother for the first time in thirteen years, Chloe learns her condition cannot be cured by modern medicine. Looking deeper into her mother’s past, Chloe finds she was connected to the world of the paranormal. To bring her mother out of the shadows of her past and into the light of the present Chloe enlists the help of paranormal professionals.

Chapter 1 Found

Chloe breezed into the Talon on another scorching summer day in Smallville. The summer was progressing nicely for her and in matter of weeks she would be rid of the small town to start her life as a full time college student at Met U.

The only thing holding Chloe in Smallville was her father. He was more then enough reason to stay. Chloe knew Gabe understood, more then anyone, that her dreams were awaiting her in Metropolis.

“Can I have an iced coffee please?” Chloe made her order with the clerk at the counter, hoping to get a morning jolt and something to cool her off.

“Sure thing Chloe.” After spending so much time in the Talon, the clerk knew Chloe well enough. One of the great things about Smallville that Chloe would miss was the fact that everyone seemed to know everybody and that made investigating rather easy.

“Thanks Ann.” Chloe dropped her money for the beverage and clutched the cool plastic cup in her hands while lower her lips to the straw for the first refreshing sip. “Ahh.” She said, relieved to have the cool drink, and then turned to head out.

To her surprise, waiting just behind her was the one Talon patron she didn’t want to see. Lex Luthor was right behind her, watching her closely, and Chloe wanted to be as far away from him as possible.

The last time they spoke was a week ago in the caves. Chloe was simply looking at the world Clark had given up and didn’t understand why. All his powers that could have been put to good use were going to waste because Clark wanted to be with Lana.

It was a selfish reason she never really understood after everything Lana and Clark had been though. Clark Kent wasn’t the only selfish person in Chloe’s life right now and the man that held that title was standing right in front of her.

After what happened during the meteor shower, Chloe had lost all hope that she and Lex were actually friends and could possibly be more. She could have died but his only concern was for the secret, about Clark, that still eluded him. A secret she promised to keep and always would.

It was well known that Lex could be cruel but, never did she think he could be that way with her. Even though they hadn’t spoken that year, Chloe never thought Lex wished her any harm but he proved her wrong that day in cave.

Chloe returned the straw to her mouth and brushed past Lex without a moments pause. She didn’t want to have another fight with him on what really happened to her that day.

“Hello to you to Chloe.” She heard his smug voice behind her and Chloe knew better then to take the bait but did anyway.

“So you’re talking to me now?” Chloe paused and turned to face him as he was facing her. “You must want something from me.”

He gave her the slightest grin moving in closer to her. “Actually, I did want to talk to you. Your father said you stepped out and I assumed that you’d be here getting a pick me up and cooling off.”

She watched him closely and saw the beads of sweat collecting on his bald head. He was dressed very casually in a grey t-shirt and dark trousers. Chloe couldn’t help but think that Lex was attractive and, many a time, had personal fantasies about him. Those fantasies didn’t really mean anything because Lex Luthor would never think of her that way.

“Nothing gets past you.” Chloe snapped back at him and took another sip of her icy drink.

“You can be rude or you can listen to what I have to say.”

Chloe was certain what he wanted but let him say it. “What do you want Lex?”

He took a step back and nodded towards the back of the Talon. “You might want to step into the back for this.”

Chloe wasn’t about to go into a confined space with him alone after he went off on her like a crazed person. “I think whatever you have to say can be said right here.”

One of his eyebrows raised, his shoulder shrugged and he said something she wasn’t expecting. “We can talk about your mother right here if you want to.”

She could have slapped for being so open about her mother knowing full well her mother’s history. Chloe’s secret about her mother was one she shared with two people in her life and Lex was the second. While in hiding, Chloe revealed more to him than she should have but it was a relief to get some of her demons out in the open.

Chloe didn’t say a word and pushed past him to make her way to the back of the Talon. Lex followed behind her closely then moved ahead of her, opening the door leading into the theater area.

“What do you know about my mother?” Chloe wasn’t sure why he said what he did but, if he knew something about her mother she had to know.

“I know you’ve been looking for her and I wanted to know how your search has favored this year.” She looked at him intently and something was wrong. Out in the Talon, Lex was stiff and strong but back here his demeanor changed. His eyes were lowered, his face had softened and Chloe thought she could detect a hint of nervousness in him.

“Why do you care if I’ve found her or not?” His curiosity seemed out of place and it was very troubling.

“Please answer the question. I’m not playing some sort of game with you. I know it’s important to you to find her and I just want to know how the search has gone.” She watched him hold himself back, as if he wanted to do something but knew he couldn’t

Chloe hadn’t told anyone the truth about what she’d found. She told Clark she had found her mother but, the person she thought was her mother wasn’t. At another dead end, Chloe took a break from searching for her during the summer.

Why Lex wanted to know any of this was beyond her. He hadn’t expressed an interest in her life all year but, right now, the look in his eyes told her different.

“I thought I found her but…” Chloe paused and swallowed hard over her words. She knew the truth all this time but, admitting it was causing her chest to ache with grief still not knowing her mother’s whereabouts. “I was wrong.”

Looking down at the coffee in her hands, Chloe watched the ice cubes melt slowly. She was focusing on those cubes, as opposed to looking at Lex and facing the reality that she may never find her mother.

“Chloe.” Lex whispered her name reaching to touch her shoulder. His hand squeezed her lightly and Chloe set her gaze back on him. Lex was trying to comfort her and it wasn’t something he’d done in almost a year.

“Lex, why are you asking me about my mother?” Chloe said, edging away from him and not really wanting him to easy her worries.

“You may not like this but when you told me she was missing I hired a private investigator.” He stepped back, knowing he was invading her personal space.

Chloe’s eyes narrowed and she felt the floor dropping down around her. “You had no right to do that. I never asked you for help.” She hadn’t found anything but, a professional looking for her mother could find what she never could. Lex could ask only so many questions but, he had no right to do so behind her back.

“I know that.” Lex acted as if he couldn’t stand away from her for long. Moving in closer to her, he made Chloe back up against the wall behind her. “I know you are very capable of heading your own investigation but I wanted to lend you a hand.” Lex’s voice was soft and what he said next must have been difficult for him to say. “You know about my mother. You’re the only person that knows the whole truth. I know how it feels to lose one and if I could help you get her back then…” He paused and turned away from her.

The last time they spoke there was so much animosity between the two of them but, right now, it was like nothing had changed between them. Chloe knew about Lillian and what happened to her when Julian was born. She had no idea she was the only one that knew the whole story and always thought sharing what happen to their mothers brought them closer to together.

Chloe wiped away the perspiration that colleted on her hand from the iced coffee and reached out to touch Lex’s bare arm. Her initial anger about what he’d done was gone and she just wanted to know what he knew about her mother. “Lex, I understand and you’re right I do need help. Please tell me what you’ve found.”

He turned back to look at her. Changing the focus back to Chloe, her mother, and her problems seemed to put him at ease. “Last week my PI found her.”

“What?” Chloe yelled at him and let go of his arm. Her anger returned quickly with this news. “You saw me last week and didn’t say a word. Why tell me now? Have you been holding this information so I’ll tell you what happened in the caves?” Chloe breathed out and tried to get herself under control. “I told you I don’t remember and can’t believe you, of all people, would withhold information about my mother from me.”

Chloe could feel herself getting hotter than she felt when she was outside in the summer heat. It was for certain, now, that Lex’s selfishness extended farther than she ever thought.

“Chloe, I’m not holding this over you.” His voice was stern and louder than when they started. “But the last time we spoke, it wasn’t the ideal situation for us to talk about it.”

“Right, because you have to know the truth.” Chloe started to turn and leave. Whatever he knew; he wasn’t going to tell her without her telling him something first.

Lex moved behind her quickly grabbing her arm and turning her to look at him. “Wait, I haven’t told you what I found.”

She struggled in his grip and wanted him off of her. Squeezing the iced coffee in her cold hands Chloe did the unthinkable and tossed the drink in his face.

“Goddamn it Chloe!” Lex yelled and let her go wiping back light brown liquid from his face.

Chloe thought she was free but he was right on her again. He grabbed her harder this time pushing her up against the wall. “Let me go.” Chloe tried to get away again but he held her in place with both hands on her arms.

“I don’t want anything in return for what I’ve found.” He was still yelling, squeezing her arms tighter as she struggled.

“Yeah right, you only care about yourself Lex. You don’t care about my mother.” Chloe stopped fighting and rested back against the wall.

“You’d be surprised how much I care about you Chloe, even if you toss cold beverages into my face when I’m trying to be your friend.” He let her go once she stopped fighting and used the dry bottom of his shirt to wipe his face.

Chloe got a glimpse of his toned chest and abs but was too angry to think about how good it looked. They weren’t friends anymore and, for him to say that, was the ultimate insult after ignoring her all year. “Be my friend Lex, tell me what you know.” Chloe assumed he just ran into the same dead end she had.

He breathed out a long, heavy breath then pulled something from his back pocket. “My PI took this picture last week.” He handed the photo over to her and continued his story. “It was taken in an asylum in Colorado. She’s been there for some time now and they haven’t been able to help her since she committed herself. If you want to see her the doctors think it might help bring her out of the state she’s in. Chloe, I haven’t told your father but…”

Lex kept talking but Chloe couldn’t hear him. He handed her the picture and that’s all she could see. Gabe gave her a few pictures of her mother but her vague memories didn’t prepare her for what she saw in the photograph. It was an image of her mother in a white hospital gown looking towards a nearby window. Her eyes were just as green as Chloe’s but they looked so lost. She studied the curves of her face in the image and saw the little lines that formed there over the years.

Chloe felt one tear fall down her cheek, then saw it drop on the picture she was staring at. Her mother was found and she had to see her. She had to see her after being without her for thirteen years.

By now, Lex stopped talking and was standing awkwardly in front of Chloe when she looked up at him. He was soaking wet from the iced coffee and looked so concerned for her. If he was going to be her friend then Chloe would make Lex go the extra mile for her. “Can you take me to her?”

He nodded twice. “Yes, when do you want to leave?”

“I want to leave right now.” Chloe looked back at the photo and was resolved to do this at that moment with or without Lex’s help.

He reached for her shoulder again getting her to look at him. “Let me make a few calls and we can go.”

Chloe watched Lex reaching for his cell phone and let him take care of the arrangements. She hadn’t taken his help in so long but needed it now, more then ever, to get through this. Chloe was terrified at what she would see when she saw her mother in the asylum but, had to know the reason why she left her.

Her mother was found and she was one step closer to having her in her life after years of being without her. After years of feeling like she would never know who her mother really was, Chloe could finally learn the truth.

TBC

Chapter 2 Haunted

Notes: After reading tigerbaby's note I have gone back to the list of titles I had for this story and changed it. I had no idea that kit had a fic of the same title. I guess great minds think alike.
    Last edited by letia84; 26th January 2009 at 06:12.

Members

Re: Hidden in the Shadows ~SV/SN~ Chapter 1 6/24/06 (PG-13/R)

Good beginning. Keep up the good work!

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Great start! Love the fact that Chloe threw her coffee in Lex's face. Brave girl! Can't wait for more!

Very interesting start. I'd like to see where this goes.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Letia, this is a great beginning

More please!
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

More please that was good.

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Let it be that Lex really cares about her deeply, and he was just keeping himself from her for some very stupid reasons? Oh- a really great beginning, update soon please

interesting start, can't wait to see how everything evolves

NS Full Member

I am looking forward to reading more of this. I hope you will write more soon.

NS Senior Member Senior Member letia84's Avatar

Hidden in the Shadows ~SV/SN~ Chapter 2 7/2/06 (PG-13/R)

Notes: Thank you all for your interest in this one. Updates will be slow so please stick with me.

Chapter 2 Haunted

Chloe hands were raw from rubbing them together over and over again. Every part of her body was tingling in anticipation and the focus seemed to be on her hands.

She had no complaints about the way she was traveling to Colorado. The Luthor Corp jet was spacious and comfortable but the destination was weighing heavy on her mind.

Lex made his phone call in the back of the Talon and told Chloe what arrangements he’d made for her to see her mother that day. How he made everything possible by making one phone call was beyond her but she didn’t question it. If she could say anything about Lex Luthor, his money gave him power over things she could never dream of.

When they left the Talon, Chloe wanted to go home and tell her father something. She didn’t know how long it would take to get to her mother or if she would want to leave her right away. She didn’t end up telling Gabe any of this. He didn’t know she was looking for her mother if, that is, her mother was actually found. Getting her back, only to lose her again, was something she’d grown accustomed to in all her years of searching. Chloe didn’t want to put her father through that same pain.

After stopping by her home to lie to her father about going on a short summer trip, she packed a few things. She was willing to stay behind, without Lex, to spend more time with her mother.

Chloe assumed Lex would change before boarding the plane because he was still covered in iced coffee. He had that problem worked out already. When they boarded the jet he had a suit waiting for him. Along with his suit Lex also thought ahead and had food waiting for them.

The flight was only an hour but it seemed to be taking forever. It was thirty minutes after take off and Chloe was sitting in her beige leather chair in silence. She couldn’t bring herself to eat anything for fear it would come back up. At that moment, Lex was typing away on a laptop hard at work.

He changed his clothes, ate and started working. Chloe saw him, from time to time, glance in her direction. While he was hard at work she squirmed in her seat and her palms got redder.

Chloe had to stop thinking about being disappointed before she had a breakdown. She let her mind wander over to Lex; who was working diligently. She started to feel bad about covering him in coffee when he had done this miraculous thing for her.

Chloe hadn’t say thank you yet but he didn’t seem to care. They actually exchanged very few words since they started plans to leave Smallville. Lex was being as nice as possible but, he still looked concerned for her and had a glimmer of tenderness in his eyes whenever he looked at her.

Letting her hands relax at her sides Chloe tried to say something to break the silence between them “Lex?”

He answered her not looking up from his computer or discontinuing his typing. “Chloe if you changed your mind about eating you can help yourself. I knew you’d give in soon enough.”

It wasn’t what she was expecting him to say but the quip was more like him than how he was acting at the Talon. “I wasn’t asking about the food, I was going to apologize.” She released the latch of her seatbelt and moved to stand in front of him at the other end of the jet’s cabin.

He paused raising his hands just above the keys of his laptop then, went right back to typing. “Your apology isn’t accepted.”

Chloe’s investigative nature wanted her to lean over and look at what he was frantically typing but she fought the urge to snoop. “I haven’t even given it yet. You don’t even know what I was going to apologize for.”

She watched Lex closely as he pushed a few last keys then, slammed his laptop shut. “I assumed you were going to say you’re sorry for tossing your drink into my face.” Lex finally looked up at her and the tenderness in eyes couldn’t be mistaken this time. “Your apology is not needed.”

“Why can’t I apologize? You did this amazing thing for me and I thanked you with a coffee shower.” Chloe tried to keep it together but she felt the tears coming. She only shed a few tears, not wanting to cry like a fool in front of Lex. Taking in a deep breath she pushed them back and kept her focus.

Lex stood up, placed the laptop down in his empty seat and placed his hands at her shoulders. “The last time we were alone together I wasn’t the most pleasant person.”

Chloe narrowed her eyes at him. The word unpleasant didn’t characterize his behavior at all. Lex raised an eyebrow up and retracted his statement. “I was, some might say, crazed during the meteor shower. I understand if you felt trapped and wanted to leave the Talon today but, I couldn’t let you with what I knew.”

“Your right, I don’t have to apologize. You got what was coming to you.” Chloe replied sarcastically. Lex gave her the slightest grin and removed his hands from her shoulders. They stood there for a moment, looking at each other, and Chloe could feel something she always felt with Lex.

Something was lingering around them at that moment. When they were alone like this Chloe always felt like something was haunting them but, they never searched to find what that thing was.

“I should say thanks.” Chloe finally spoke, breaking the awkward silence. “Thank you for finding her.”

His grin grew into a full smile before he answered. “You’re welcome but I owe you more then just this.”

What he owed her, she wasn’t sure of but, they were having a nice moment and hadn’t had one like this in long time. Chloe was starting to feel rather silly just standing there, not saying anything, and backed away to get back to her seat. “I’ll let you get back to your business.” Just as she turned to walk across the cabin, the jet shook making her lose her footing.

Stumbling forward, Chloe was headed right for Lex. His arms moved around her quickly and held her in place until things were back to normal. “Are you all right?” Lex’s voice was just above her and Chloe managed to bury herself in his chest to brace herself from the fall.

“Yes, thank you.” She mumbled, muffled in his dress shirt and taking in a bit of his scent. He smelled just like the coffee she tossed at him. Chloe tried, more then once, to pull away from Lex.

His arms were clinging to her but, when he felt her abrupt movement, Lex let her go. He cleared his throat and quickly picked up his laptop to sit back down. “I thought you were going to sit.” He said opening up the computer again; completely focused on the screen. If Chloe wasn’t mistaken, he was acting as if he was nervous about her being close to him.

She shook off the feeling that something was happening between them. He was holding on to her as if he didn’t want to let go but, she knew better than to think it meant anything. Lex was just making sure she hadn’t fallen.

Even though they were both angry and fighting in the back of the Talon, Chloe didn’t let the heat of the moment make her forget what he’d said to her. Lex said that she would be surprised at how much he cared for her; Chloe didn’t let herself dwell on such thoughts.

Lex was hard at work typing again and didn’t look back up at her for the rest of the flight. In her seat, Chloe let her mind drift to things that were easier to think about than Lex’s weird behavior.

She let her mind drift to her mother’s lost eyes in the photo. Her fears and worries all started to come back. Her hands started their routine again and didn’t stop until they landed in Colorado.

~~~~)~~~~(~~~~

Once they landed in Denver, Colorado a car was waiting for them to drive to the Twin Pines Asylum. Lex really did take care of this whole trip with one phone call. He told her a doctor would explain her mother’s condition then she could see her.

The facility was just outside of Denver, hidden away from sight. When they pulled into the driveway it looked like any other business but Chloe knew what was inside.

“Do you want me to go in with you?” Lex looked over at her from the driver’s seat as she stared out the car window.

Chloe wasn’t sure why he was asking this since she assumed he would come in. She couldn’t walk in there on her own and Lex was being so helpful; he just couldn’t turn his back on her now.

“If you don’t want to come in I’ll understand, but I want you to come with me.” Chloe covered his hand which was resting on the gear shift between them.

He quickly moved his hand away from hers and went for the keys still in the ignition. “I’ll go in.” He announced and got out of the car.

Chloe checked herself out and thought that she should have changed. That morning, she wasn’t trying to impress anyone and put on a pair of capri pants and a short sleeved, button up top. She felt sloppy and out of place for this meeting while Lex looked completely professional in the suit he changed into.

Knowing she wouldn’t open the car door on her own, Lex did so for her. “You look fine. I don’t think your mother will care what you’re wearing.”

“How did you…” Chloe stopped the question before it started. It wasn’t the first time Lex was inside her head. So many times before, while working together in their failed attempt to keep Lionel in jail, he read her mind. He wasn’t the only that could do it. “Don’t look so worried. I won’t break, I’m fine.”

“Dually noted.” He said with a hint of mockery, knowing she just read him.

Chloe opened the door to the place and was greeted by a receptionist. She told them to wait a moment for the doctor to arrive. Chloe had stopped fidgeting in the car but started again while they waited. There were a few doors leading away from the main entrance into the building and she had no idea which one lead to her mother.

The door to her right opened and a middle aged man, in a white coat appeared. “Miss Sullivan.” He extended his hand towards her.

“Yes, and you are?” Chloe questioned, shaking hands with the man that would tell her about her mother.

“My name is Dr. Allen Burdick, I have been on your mother’s case for the past six years.” He let go of her hand and motioned towards Lex. “Hello again Mr. Luthor.”

“Dr. Burdick.” Lex greeted the doctor, shaking hands with him. Chloe didn’t think Lex actually saw the man in person. She assumed the PI did all the work but it appeared this wasn’t his first time at the hospital.

“Let’s go into my office for a few moments before you see your mother.” Dr. Burdick led them thru the door he came from and down a long white corridor. There was a chill in the air and the place was so bare. Chloe couldn’t image how her mother survived being in that place for so long.

He led them to a door far down the hall and opened it to let them in ahead of him. “Please take a seat.”

Chloe looked over the office; it looked nothing like the outside hall. A large desk was in the center of the room and leather arm chairs were placed all over. It was like any other doctor’s office she’d been in and Chloe took some comfort that this man was trying to help her mother get better.

Lex waited for her to choose a seat in front of the desk and still looked worried for her. Chloe assumed that he wouldn’t relax because he knew she couldn’t.

“How much has Mr. Luthor explained to you about your mother’s condition?” Dr. Burdick took the seat behind the desk, looking to Chloe for an answer.

“He said that she checked herself in. Can you explain what state my mother was in when she committed herself?”

His face shifted down and looked like he was frowning at her. At that moment, Chloe didn’t need his pity she needed answers. “Miss Sullivan, I’m the third doctor on your mother’s case. There have been some complications with her treatment.”

Chloe moved forward in her chair and her heart started to pound. Her reporter’s eye honed in on getting at the truth. “What complication?”

“The first doctor on your mother’s case worked with her for four years. Your mother was doing well the first year. She would have bad days from time to time but she was lucid and, by all accounts, normal. She was diagnosed with a rare disease that induces the onset of dementia very early in life but, now we know that diagnosis was wrong.”

“What happen to the first doctor? Why did he stop working with her?” Chloe wished she had a recorder or notepad to write some of this down. She didn’t want to forget any of it and hoped she could do some research of her own about her mother’s condition.

“Dr. Bruins was committed to Twin Pines and has been here since he stopped working with your mother. He started to display the same signs of psychosis and unexplained behavior as your mother.”

“Unexplained behavior?” Chloe looked away from the doctor and moved her gaze to Lex. He was sitting there, stiff as a board, listening. She wished Lex had told her all of this before he brought her here but, it had been hard enough for Lex to tell her he found her mother let alone how sick she was. “Please, can you give some details?”

“Your mother is insistent that her illness is being caused by a woman named Jun Tyler. Do know this woman?” He pulled a file folder from the stack atop his desk and handed it over to Chloe. “Take a look at these. You mother has written these stories about Jun Tyler.”

“I have no idea who Jun Tyler is.” Chloe took the file and flipped it open to the first sheet of notebook paper. The first page was covered in the same phase.

‘Out of the light and into the shadows.’

Chloe flipped over the pages and read the same thing over and over again. Then, there were times her mother rambled about murder and a knife slicing a throat. She described the event in great detail. It was unsettling to read but Chloe had to know what was wrong with her mother.

“This Dr. Bruins is in the same state my mother is in?” Looking up from file she questioned the doctor.

“Yes. Your mother claims to see Jun and no one else can. Now Dr. Burins claims he can see Jun. Your mother also inflicts two wounds on her herself from time to time if she has something sharp enough to do it with.”

Chloe’s heart jumped in her throat at the thought of her mother cutting herself. The more he revealed the worse it got. “What wounds?”

“A small cut at her throat but nothing that could truly hurt her.” He demonstrated the slice, sliding his thumb from the right to his Adam’s apple. “Then a cut on the right hand.”

“Why does she do this? Has she said why?” Chloe was starting to feel a bit spun. The truth was harder to take then she thought it would be.

“She says that it’s the way Jun died and now she must die this way.” He lowered his head and seemed ashamed by what he said.

Chloe couldn’t understand any of this. Her mother repeats a phrase constantly and hurting herself, then her first doctor is committed with the same symptoms. It made no sense at all. Since she learned her mother was mentally ill several years ago, Chloe researched every disease there was and none of them sounded like this.

“What about the second doctor? Is he also here?”

He sighed deeply and what he had to say next was shocking. “The second doctor is dead Miss Sullivan. He killed himself after a session with your mother six years ago and that’s when I started.”

Chloe had to stand. Her body wasn’t allowing her to breathe. She needed air and couldn’t get it fast enough. She felt herself dry heaving, thinking that her mother could have caused a man’s death.

“Chloe?” Lex moved away from the desk to stand at the window pointing towards the back grounds with her. “Chloe, you can wait. You don’t have to do this today.”

Her back was to him but she could feel him standing close behind her. It hurt and she was scared but Chloe wasn’t leaving until she understood what was going on. “No, I want to see her.” Chloe turned back to face the doctor who was now standing behind her as well. “You have been seeing her for six years, aren’t you afraid something might happen to you?”

“Miss Sullivan, your mother’s case is very important to me. A perfectly healthy woman doesn’t just lose her sense of self overnight. There is a reason and I’m looking for it. I have been making some progress with her in the past few months. Your mother hasn’t claimed to see Jun. I have been treating her with a new drug that keeps her calm.”

“Could it be that she sees her and just doesn’t tell you?” Chloe found it hard to believe that a pill could make her all better.

“Your mother is a monitored all day everyday to ensure she doesn’t hurt herself anymore and we have not seen her speak of Jun.”

“What can I do? If I see her how will that help?” Chloe did know how to help her mother. She just wanted to love her and to be loved by her, a simple wish that may never happen if her mother didn’t get better.

“I believe your mother is lost and that she ran away from those closest to her because she felt herself getting sick. I think by seeing you she may be able to come back out of the darkness she’s hiding in. If she sees something real maybe Jun will fade away.”

Chloe hadn’t noticed it but Lex’s hand was holding hers. She was so focused on the doctor she didn’t feel him holding it until he squeezed it. This was the second time he was comforting her and she needed it. Chloe squeezed his hand back showing him that she was ready for this.

“You really think she can get better?”

“Your mother is a strong woman Miss Sullivan. It’s obvious that a tragic event surrounding Jun Tyler has caused her to have some sort of mental breakdown but it’s not permanent. Most of the time, she is very pleasant and helpful with the other patients. As I stated the new drug is helping but I think she can do without it and you can help her.”

A bit of hope fluttered in her heart and Chloe wanted it to be true. If this could work and she could help her mother fill the empty void in her life, Chloe would do it. “I’m ready to see her.”

“Okay, but there are a few ground rules.” The doctor moved back to his desk and pulled a small box from it. “I need you to place anything sharp that you have in this box.”

Chloe didn’t have much with her in her purse except her wallet, keys, and cell phone. She placed the small hand bag into the box and had to let go of Lex’s hand to do it.

“I’ll be just outside your mother’s room incase anything happens.”

“Do you think she would do something to Chloe?” It was first thing Lex asked the entire time they were there. He seemed was so solid and stable, trying to keep her from falling apart.

“No Mr. Luthor but if she were to have a Jun sighting it could be very upsetting for Miss Sullivan.” Dr. Burdick moved to place the box inside his desk, pulled a key from his white coat and locked the drawer. “I’ll keep your things here until your visit is over.” He motioned to leave the room and Chloe followed after him.

She didn’t notice Lex moving and turned back to at the door way to look at him. “Lex, would you stand outside the door with Dr. Burdick?”

He wasn’t moving from his spot at the window and his body seemed coiled tight. He looked frustrated but Chloe needed one of them to be clear headed. “You need me with you?” The question was shaky as if he didn’t want to say it.

If she needed someone’s help, Chloe was willing to ask for it but knew it wasn’t something Lex did freely. “I just need you to do what you’ve been doing and coming with me is a part of that.”

He didn’t put up anymore fuss and walked toward the door to leave with her. Chloe moved out first and the doctor had paused to wait for them. He led them down the white hall to another hall and then an elevator.

On the way to her mother’s room, Chloe didn’t see any other patients. Everyone seemed to be tucked away, out of sight. They passed a few nursing stations but most of the place was closed lock tight.

Dr. Burdick stopped in front of door 285 and below the numbers was her mother’s name. This was it and Chloe was going to see her mother for the first time in thirteen years.

She closed her eyes and searched for her in one of her memories. She found herself very little sitting in a big chair. She couldn’t see her mother but she could feel in her hands combing through her hair. It was a feeling Chloe had tucked away for times when she felt stressed to help calm her down and it was working.

“Should I do anything special?” Chloe looked at the doctor for last minute instructions.

“Stay calm, go in and tell her who you are.” He moved to turn the door knob and Chloe moved into the room slowly.

Her heart was pounding outside of her chest and she paused in the arch of the doorway. “I’ll be right here.” She heard Lex’s voice behind her; she needed that reassurance to move into the room.

Chloe was in the tiny space and on the other side of the bed was woman in white, standing at the window looking out into the backgrounds. She moved in slowly, placing each step carefully. Her face was growing hot and her palms felt moist. Chloe was having tell, tell signs that she was nervous. The door behind her closed slowly but she didn’t look back to it.

Chloe was just next to the woman now, her blonde hair shining in the light of the sun coming into the room. She moved into the side and could see her mother’s cheek. “Mom?” Chloe’s voice was low and shaky.

“Mom?” She repeated again waiting for the woman to react to her. Moira ?” Chloe said her mother’s name and finally got her attention.

Her head turned slowly to look at Chloe but her body didn’t move. “Chloe?” The woman spoke just as low and shy as Chloe did. Her green eyes narrowed in a way Chloe knew she’d done before.

“Yes, mom it’s me.” Chloe wanted to touch her, to hug her but she was beaten to it and her mother pulled her into her arms.

“My baby’s not a baby anymore.” She murmured at her ear, holding her tightly.

Chloe’s arms went her around her without pause; she was holding her mother after years of being without her. How she knew it was her was beyond her comprehension now because the tears she was holding back all day were flowing.

“Why did you leave us?” Chloe spoke through broken sobs, choking on her words. “Why did you leave me?”

Moira pulled back away from her and looked terrified. “I protected you from her all these years and now that has been ruined.”

“From her?” Chloe took in deep breaths trying to stop herself from breaking down. “You mean from Jun?”

“You have to leave this place.” She turned Chloe around and started nudging her to the door.

Chloe moved away, holding her hands back. “I’m not leaving this place without you. They think I can help you.”

“No you can’t. I’m lost but you are not. She hasn’t seen you yet, you can still leave.” She threw her hands off her and turned away. Chloe watched her mother look into the each corner of the room as if she was searching for something.

“Let me help you mom, please.” Chloe pleaded with her and moved to touch her face. She cupped the curve of her cheek and wasn’t going to leave no matter what she said.

“I tried hard to be good to you and your father. I only wanted to help but it all went wrong. There is only one person who can help me now, John Winchester. Do you understand me?” She moved away from her toward her nightstand and pulled out a piece of paper. “Here, write it down when you leave they don’t always give me pens.”

“Mom stop, please.” Chloe took the paper from her. “There is no Jun. She can’t hurt you if you don’t let her.”

Chloe’s mother seemed scared but she saw a shift in her eyes as if she was looking at something that wouldn’t go away. “It’s too late.”

Chloe looked behind her into the shadow of the corner in the room and nothing was there. “Mom what do you meant it’s too late.”

“Stay away from her.” Moira grabbed Chloe’s hand moving her to the door.

“Who should stay away from me?” She was afraid to ask because she knew the answer.

“Jun is here. Go for the door I’ll keep her away from you.” Moira pushed Chloe towards the exit of the room this time.

She saw Lex and the doctor standing there in the tiny window looking out then turned back to her mother. “No, there is no Jun.”

“I wouldn’t say that if I were you.” An ominous voice filled the room but Chloe didn’t see anyone else in there with her except her mother.

“Mom what was that?” Chloe moved next to her but was shoved away again.

“I told you to leave and get John. It’s the only way to save you now. I thought I could give myself to her and she would stop but Jun won’t stop. She’ll never stop. I have to stay here or she will hurt more people. She will latch on to you and do what she has done to me.”

“What has she done to you? Mom talk to me, tell me.” Chloe was frantically trying to stay with her mother but was being shoved back at each advance.

“I said leave this place Chloe.” They struggled, pushing back each others hands. Chloe just wanted her mother to hold as she did when she first saw her.

“Mine now.” The ominous voice sounded for the second time in the room.

Chloe looked at the door behind her and saw it shaking. “Chloe, open the door!” She heard Lex’s voice yelling from the other side and saw him struggling to open it. She didn’t lock the door when she entered but it was locked now.

“Chloe look at me.” Her mother called out to her.

“Open the door! Chloe! Chloe! Open the door!” Lex’s voice was getting louder and the door was shaking harder.

The room started to go dim, it was too early in the day for the sun to be setting. Chloe did as she was told and looked at her mother. Her body started to feel cold and the room was losing all its light.

”Come with me to the window.” Moira took Chloe’s hand and dragged her back to the window. “Say these words with me. Out of the light and into the shadows.” It was a phrase from her mother’s papers. Something was happening and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

“Mine now.” The ominous, cracking, voice yelled again.

“No!” Moira screamed and pulled Chloe to her. They were standing in the only light in the room coming from the window. Chloe couldn’t see or move, her mother was holding her so tightly. “Say the words Chloe, out of the light and into the shadows.” She said it once and started to repeat it over and over again.

“What’s happening?” Chloe spoke, her head resting on her mother shoulders. She was trying to get away but her mother wouldn’t let her go.

“Chloe! Please open the door!” She heard Lex still yelling and could hear the door rattling. “Do something!”

Her mother was still chanting the phase as the room grew so cold that Chloe could see her breath coming from her lips. “Mom, please let go.”

“No, just say it with me baby. Out the light and into the shadows!”

“Chloe! We are coming in.” Lex yelled at the door again and there was a loud banging.

The light from the outside was slowly slipping away. Chloe was shaking in her mother’s arms, muttering the words she told her to say. Her heart was in her throat and her mind was seeing things it shouldn’t. Moira didn’t stop chanting actually, it got louder as it got darker but whatever she was saying wasn’t working.

“Mom?” Chloe struggled away from her at last needing to see her face and needing the truth.

Chloe focused on her but wasn’t seeing her mother. She wasn’t seeing the woman that was lost all those years. The woman before her was bleeding from the neck, her face was blackened, covered in ash and her right hand was bleeding as it touched Chloe face.

Chloe screamed out in terror. “What…how…” She stumbled back away from her for the far corner of the room. She huddled herself back, staring at the woman that was supposed to be her mother.

“You’re mine now.” The voice that sounded around them was coming from the darkened figure. “You’ll pay her debt to me & then, you will join her.”

Chloe tried to look away but couldn’t, this things was keeping her mother. This thing in front of her was keeping her mother in this place and now she wanted her to join her.

“Mom?” Chloe called out to her slumping down in the corner shielding her eyes as the dark figure started to move closer to her. “Out of the light.” Chloe didn’t know what she was saying but her mother seemed to think it did something. “And into the shadows.”

Her eyes squeezed shut and she was chanting just like her mother was moments ago. She felt a hand touching her hands covering her face and she screamed a second time, scrambling in the corner to get away.

“It’s all right Chloe.” When she looked up the room was bright again and Lex was kneeling next to her.

“What?” Chloe looked behind Lex; her mother was in a corner at the opposite side of the room and still chanting. The doctors were surrounding her, injecting her with something. “Lex, what happened to us?” Chloe looked at him for answers and he had none. “Did you see it? Did you see the dark woman?”

His eyes widened at her words and moved to touch her hand. “No Chloe. No one is here except you and your mother. You were both screaming that Jun was coming then we couldn’t open the door so, I had them break it down.” He looked back at the door and Chloe looked with him to see that it was on the floor. “When we got in you and your mother were both huddled in a corner.”

Lex reached for her, to help her stand, and Chloe accepted his help “Dr. Brunswick, how is she?” Chloe moved past Lex, toward her mother, but was stopped while two nurses worked on getting her sedated body up and into bed.

“I think this was a mistake. This may have been too much too soon. Right now I need to get her mother under control so please leave. The nurse will take you back to my office to retrieve your things and I’ll keep in touch with you.” He turned his back on her and went back to stand over her mother. It didn’t seem to care that Chloe was acting just as her mother had but, she didn’t want to focus on her.

“Chloe, we should go.” Lex was standing behind her as Chloe watched them cover her mother with a blanket.

Something happened, Chloe wouldn’t believe it if she hadn’t seen it. Something was haunting her mother and now it would be doing the same thing to her. This was nothing Chloe had ever dealt with and needed all the help she could get.

She couldn’t deny what she felt and what she saw because Chloe had never been so frightened in all her life. Her body was still shaking from the event.

She turned back to look at Lex. “Well you help me find John Winchester. My mother said he’s the only one that can help.”

If this man was the key to ridding her mother of the nightmare she was living in then she would find him.

TBC

Chapter 3 Meet the Winchesters

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information