+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden in the Shadows (R)

Mrs Dean Winchester Senior Member pipersmum's Avatar

Re: Hidden in the Shadows Chapter 5 8/19/06 SV/SN (PG-13/R)

Woohoo you updated and I loved it.

Chloe might be a seer thats cool. I am glad Gabe asked Lex to protect Chloe like he did before. Chloe needs to make Lex sit down and discuss how he feels about her but will he confess all or will he deny everything???

I can't wait for the next part to find out

~Diane~

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

So glad you updated! Can't believe Chloe is a seer. UGH! Why did Lex pull away from Chloe? I hope he can admit his feelings for her @ some point soon. More please.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

What a great update. A lot of questions were answered and I can't wait until more are answered.

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Senior Member Senior Member letia84's Avatar

Hidden in the Shadows Chapter 6 8/24/06 SV/SN (PG-13/R)

Chapter 6 The Sight

If things didn’t get better soon Chloe might have to consider giving up. She and the boys were still going through her mother’s books and there was still no mention of Jun Tyler in them.

In Lex’s study, Chloe had set herself up on the floor with several books spread out around her. Sam and Dean had taken a stack of their own and sat on the leather sofa in the center of the room.

Everything about the evening was a blur. At some point, Lex had ordered them food and she ate but didn’t really remember doing it. Dean’s car arrived and he rushed out of the room to check on it before coming back to work.

After about six solid hours of reading, Chloe had learned a few things about the way her mother’s books were written. She would detail a case she was working and, once the ghost was taken care of, she would write how it was done. A few pages in between jobs she wrote about random dreams she had. The dreams were disturbing and Chloe wondered how her mother ever slept.

The problem with her research was that she didn’t date a thing. There were general times when the person died that she was helping but other then that the years were all over the place. It was as if she wrote things down in the heat of the moment in order to get them down as quickly as possible.

Somewhere, four hours in to researching, Lex had to leave. He didn’t want to leave and even argued with Chloe about not really needing to but he had been away from Smallville for so long that his messages had piled up. No matter how Lex appeared to be with her, he was still a wealthy business man and his affairs had to be taken care of.

She assured him that his help was not needed and it was okay if he had to take care of a few things for a few hours. There was no mention of the hug and he keep his distance as he was about to leave. It was like he would never tell her what was going on with him.

He left and said he wouldn’t be long, that was two hours ago.

Chloe had kicked her shoes off a long time ago and was lying on her belly on the ancient rug on the floor. The last story she read was about a woman that killed her children unknowingly. She was abused by her husband and cheated on constantly. The woman’s spirit haunted men and if they proved unfaithful she would kill them.

Chloe slammed the book close once she learned the woman’s name wasn’t Jun Tyler. “Damn it.” She groaned tossing the book aside.

“That’s our cue to take a break.” She heard Dean’s voice behind.

Chloe turned to him holding a stack of the books in his hands that he dropped on the ground. “We can’t take a break.” Chloe reached for the book she tossed and it was snatched away before she could get it.

“It will do you no good to keep working if you’re frustrated.” Dean was standing over her taking the book from her hands.

Chloe didn’t want to get up but knelt in front of him reaching for the book he took. “Is this the part where I kick you?”

“Come on we aren’t kids anymore.” He laughed at her, the sound welcomed after so many hours of silent reading. “We could try to get along.”

Chloe knew he was right. She was tired, it was late, she was frustrated and if she looked at the books anymore they would make no sense to her. “What do you suggest we do then?”

“We could follow along with Sammy and fall asleep.” Dean pointed back to his brother on the sofa leaning over, eyes closed and he was in a deep sleep breathing heavy, holding on to one of the books.

She had no idea when he fell asleep but she didn’t intend on following him. The thought that she had some sort of sight to see ghosts in her dreams and the fact that she was seeing Jun all the time didn’t make her want to sleep. Sleep was an unwelcome choice knowing what her mother experienced in the books she was reading. Knowing she saw ghosts night after night in her dreams was something that could have been passed onto her.

“I’m not really up for sleep.” She said with convection and resolve.

“We could play pool.” Dean dropped the book he was holding onto the stack in front of her. His attention was on the pool table behind them.

“That would wake your brother.” Chloe followed behind him looking forward to any kind of distraction from her mother’s adventures in ghost hunting. It was so much to take in and she needed a moment to feel normal again.

“No it wouldn’t.” Dean was holding onto a pool cue as he walked back to Chloe standing between the pool table and the sofa holding a sound asleep Sam. “Just watch.” Dean’s attention turned away from her and he started to shout. “Sammy, hey Sammy!”

Chloe nudged him back for being so rude but when she turned to look at Sam he was sound asleep. “How did you know?”

“He’s my bother and he sleeps like the dead. Now are you going to play?” Dean hand the pool cue to her.

Chloe thought for a moment how this would look to Lex. His jealously wouldn’t be pleasant walking in on them playing a game of pool. More then anything there was work to be done. Her life and her mother’s life hanging in the balance and she was going to enjoy a game of pool.

“If you feel bad about it…don’t.” Chloe’s inner struggle was stopped by Dean’s voice. “You need to rest your mind for a while. Trust me, over analyzing things will not help you or your mother any faster.” He thrust the cue toward her again, he was right and she would never admit it.

Chloe reached out and took it reluctantly. “One game.” She moved passed him to the pool table and thought she would be followed but Dean had other things on his mind. Looking behind her, he was headed right for Lex’s mini bar in the room. “What are you doing?”

“Having a drink while we play.” He picked up one of the crystal glasses and what Chloe assumed was scotch.

She moved towards him taking the glass from his grasp. “Don’t you think you should ask before you do that?”

Even though Lex said to make them selves at home, this wasn’t their home. It was castle and had more rooms in it then some hotels Chloe had stayed in. Staff and guards were lurking around the place and could pop in at any moment. Some of the items in the place were considered priceless. There was no way anyone could make themselves at home but, Dean didn’t see any of it as a problem.

“Sorry to be so rude.” His hand went back for the glass; he was quicker then she gave him credit for. “Can I get you something Chloe?”

Her stare turned into a glare. “No thank you and you’re not going to have any either.”

Dean didn’t heed her warning and starting pouring from the decanter. “Come on he’s rich. As far as I can tell from this house he’s fucking loaded. One drink for me isn’t going to break the bank for Lex Luthor.” She watched him take a sip from the glass then heard a light hum. “Okay maybe two or three drinks he won’t notice.” Then he finished with his signature grin that Chloe was growing to loathe and find endearing all at once.

Chloe shook her head at him. This was the person that was going to save her? She found it hard to believe the longer she was with him and was thankful that Sam was there to act as a counterbalance. “Drink up then, it will only help me win the game.”

“Ha!” He shouted. “I’m sure I could beat you drunk or sober.”

At the time it seemed like a good idea but Chloe didn’t know what she was walking into. Her competitive drive had kicked in and there was no stopping it now. “You want to place a bet on it?”

Dean took another sip and moved to the table already racked and ready to go. “Okay, you do one thing for me if I win.”

“Do what if you win?” Chloe didn’t like the sound of doing Dean’s bidding.

“No worries. I told you before I’m a gentleman.” His hand padded his chest claiming his manhood.

She stared at him for a moment drinking and smirking at her. “Fine but it goes both ways. I win you do one thing for me.”

His hand extended towards her and Chloe took it to shake on the deal. “You break.”

Chloe’s game was okay but she assumed Dean was all talk. All bark and no bite. Her mind was clear, for the moment, of all the horrid things going wrong in her life and she lined up the cue to start the game. If Chloe was really going to forget; one more thing would help push her over the edge.

One thing she should have considered but her caution had been thrown to the wind. She could die soon and might as well enjoy her life for a few moments. “Pour me a drink.”

“I knew you wanted one.” Dean chuckled all the way back to the bar. While his back was turned Chloe made the first shot. “No cheating. I have to see.”

She watched the balls move about the table, it was a good break. The striped 14 went in and the game had started. “Thank you.” Chloe took her glass being held by Dean.

She took her first sip, looking at him over the rim of the glass, and noticed that he was right. They were flirting. It was coming so naturally Chloe hadn’t noticed it till then.

The thought was shut down by the taste of scotch hitting the back of her throat. She moaned once and forced it down making a face as it moved along the way. “That was… interesting.” It wasn’t the first drink she had being under aged but it was the strongest.

Dean frowned slightly and she could tell he was about to mock her. “Interesting?” He repeated to her and smiled at the thought of her not being able to handle the drink.

Like a fool Chloe couldn’t be beaten by him and took another sip this time without so much as blinking. From that point on, till the end of the game, she had four more glasses of the scotch to prove him wrong.

As she drank her shots got worse, her vision got blurry and flirting with Dean became very interesting.

He kept doing a little dance with his eyes. She could feel him staring at her as she bent over to make her shots. Dean took no care in how he positioned himself behind her claiming to be helping her with a shot but merely using the moment as a reason to touch her.

Chloe indulged in what was happening a little too much. She squirmed against him when he was close. Shot looks at him from the side when he was down at her level. From time to time she would brush past him to get to the ball she wanted to hit.

Attention like this was scarce this past year and it was nice to have. It was nice to have from a man that wasn’t afraid to tell her what he was thinking and feeling. Someone that wasn’t pulling away or running away from her advances, like a bald man that would remain nameless for the night.

Even though Dean wasn’t exactly what she wanted maybe he was everything she needed at that time. His idea of charm was amusing enough not to play off him a little. There was nothing wrong with getting a confidence boost but there was something wrong in doing it to leading him on.

Just as he was making the last shot of the eight ball Chloe knew she had lost but couldn’t seem to care. He lined up the shot and sank it no problem. “That’s game.” He said with a grin.

Chloe placed down her glass next to him. She was standing right behind him and moved in front of him placing the pool table behind her. She jumped up on to the table and took the cue from him. “Okay pool master. What is the one thing you want?”

She watched his eyes lower to her cleavage then back to her eyes. “Is that what you want? Breast?” Chloe’s statement must have put a thought into his head and she saw the wheels turning as he considered the idea.

Dean’s eyes widened and a devilish grin twitched his lips. “As tempting as that sounds that’s not what I wanted.”

Chloe couldn’t stop the laughter from bubbling up out of her. “I would have thought differently.” She swayed from side to side giggling at his expense for awhile.

“For a drunken person your speech has not been altered at all.” Dean picked up the empty glass at her side and shook it in her face to taunt her.

Chloe’s eyes moved back to the door of the room to check for anyone coming. Sam was now snoring and Lex was no were to be see. She turned her attention back to Dean, dropping the pool cue that cracked against the hard wood floor then in one swift motion she pulled Dean forward by the rim of his shirt. “So what if I’m drunk. That doesn’t mean I don’t know what I’m doing.”

His hands grabbed hers clutching to his shirt. She saw the shift in his eyes again down her chest and back up again. “Now are you flirting with me?”

“No, I still despise you.” She let go with that and another long laugh was had. Everything seemed to be funny after four glasses of scotch. “Are you going to tell me what it is you want?”

Dean seemed displeased that she was laughing. He breathed out deep before he answered. “I only had a question for you to answer.”

Grinning ear to ear Chloe waited for her question. “What do you want to know now? Where Lex hides his money in the manor? I can’t answer that; I don’t know.”

“No, I think I can manage without it.” His hands moved on top of hers gripping the side of the table. He was leaning forward just like before on the Luthor Corp jet and she was feeling just as she did on the plane. Her tongue swept over her bottom lip and readied for what was going to happen but Dean ruined the moment. “Do you want him or his feelings all one sided?”

Her eyes narrowed and she wasn’t feeling very funny anymore. It didn’t matter if she had feelings for Lex. At that moment things were simple and things with Lex were too complicated to think about. Dean was attractive and more than enough of a challenge for her to figure out. He wanted to be flirting with her and he seemed to be very interested in her. Why he would ask her that question made no sense.

Her secret life was still tucked away; her heart hidden from view. That’s where she hoped it would stay. Lex just kept pulling away and there was only so much Chloe could take. Feeling connect to Lex then getting tossed out like the trash and now feeling their connection again only to have him turn away whenever the topic turned to what they were feeling, was all more then she could take.

In a huff she jumped off the table and pushed Dean out of her way. She wanted out of that room. She didn’t want to think about what Lex meant to her. Thinking about Lex was painful. At one time she did want him. At one time she saw herself with him and it was so clear how she felt connected to him but, now things were not that way. His behavior meant very little because Lex had yet to tell her what he wanted from her.

“Wait.” Dean called behind her but she just kept moving. Chloe was at the door ready to pull it open but he grabbed her hand before she could turn the door knob. “I asked you to wait.”

“What?” She said turning back to look at him then tried to finish him off with a quip but it wasn’t going to happen. Chloe felt a sudden jolt in her body. At first she thought it was the scotch catching up to her and she was going vomit but that wasn’t it.

The room started to go dark. What was light started to slip away into the shadows of the room. By the look of things Chloe thought she had to be blacking out but she was wide awake. The alcohol wasn’t making her feel like that before and had no reason to be doing it all of a sudden.

“Are you all right?” She heard Dean, felt his hand squeezing her arm to look at him.

Here eyes rested on the light gradually slipping away on the hardwood floor. “Do you see it?” Chloe whispered and knew what was coming. It was happening again.

Jun had found her.

“I don’t see anything.” Dean let go of her arm. Chloe looked at him frantically, circling were he was standing and looking for what she saw. “What is it Ch….” He was trying to speak but his words were cut short.

Chloe’s heart went into her throat, her eyes widen and she backed away from Dean flying across the room by forces unseen.

“You are mine.” The ominous voice she heard long ago was echoing throughout the room.

Chloe’s voice was lost and she couldn’t say a word. The light was gone and the room was filled with shadows. Dean was knocked out on the ground far away from her. He wasn’t moving. Chloe turned to Sam and he was still sound asleep as if he heard nothing.

She tried to breathe but nothing happened. The voice sounded again and was coming toward her. Chloe turned back to the study door. She turned the knob but it wasn’t going to open. “Please.” Chloe murmured pulling the door harder, jerking at it as if she had the strength to pull it off its hinges like Clark. “Dean!” She screamed trying to pull as hard as she could, feeling tears starting to swell in her eyes.

“Chloe…” Her name was soft but Chloe heard it right behind her. She couldn’t see a thing in the darkness of the room but whatever was calling her name was right behind her.

Her whole body started to shake as she turned around slowly. Her breathing was far from under control and she was panting trying to breathe. Once she was fully around she was there.

The dark figure of the woman, bleeding from the neck was there. “Chloe…” She said her name again, soft and slow.

Chloe tried to think. The feeling of being drunk had long gone and now it was replaced with fear. If she said her mother’s chant maybe Jun would go away into the darkness again but she couldn’t move or speak. Nothing was happening except Jun reaching out to her with her bloody right hand.

Jun reached her cheek and her body went cold. Chloe fell into some sort of trance and lost the will to control herself. She couldn’t say her mother’s chat or call out to Dean and Sam. She was under Jun’s control.

She turned back to the door and then opened it. Walking into the hall of the manor, the light slipped away as she made her descent into the manor. She wasn’t there and she couldn’t see where she was going but Jun was guiding her body along the way. She was leading her into the kitchen.

In her clouded state of mind Chloe could feel her hands gripping the butcher’s knife. She felt her left hand moving the shiny blade to her right and slicing it open. Her screaming sound though out into the room but no one was there to stop her, to help her, to protect her.

“See what I see.” Jun said to her. “Die as I died.” Jun whispered again.

Hand shaking, body froze in place Chloe took the knife with her left and point the tip of the blade to her neck. Just as her mother had done to her self many a time Chloe was going to cut herself. Cuts that might go deep enough to kill her or shallow, like the cuts her mother, all done under Jun’s control.

There was nothing she could do to stop it. Jun was in charge of her. But unlike her mother, someone was there to stop her. Someone was there to protect her.

Before she could pull the blade across her throat, a hand grabbed her own. “Chloe! Chloe don’t!” Someone turned her around and the knife fell to the ground. The man’s strong hands gripped her arms; shaking her back into the world she left behind in the study. “Chloe, look at me love.”

Out of her mind the thing that brought her back was the sound of Lex’s voice; his voice calling her love. She finally focused on him as he looked at her; the most terrified she’d ever seen him.

“Lex.” She whispered his name and lost all the feeling in her body. She passed out in his arms.

~~~~)~~~~(~~~~

Chloe opened her eyes slowly. She opened them and didn’t know where she was. The last thing she saw was Lex’s face but now she was staring at a white wall.

She lifted her right hand and winced in pain at the motion. Her vision was blurry but she focused on her hand after blinking several times. It was wrapped in a bandage and appeared to be stitched up. She thought what happened at the manor was a dream but seeing her hand she knew it wasn’t.

Chloe had cut herself just like Jun wanted her to.

Dropping her arm back to her side she looked down at herself. She was in a bed that wasn’t her own but a bed she had been in before. She knew the feel of hospital sheets and gown after spending many times in one.

Struggling to sit up, Chloe heaved herself up in the bed propping her back against the pillows behind her. She surveyed the room again and she was alone. It was a private room and she knew it had to be Lex’s doing.

She shifted over to the side and her feet made contact with the cold tile floor below. In search of answers as to how she got there Chloe stood up and started to move for the door leading out of the room.

Before she could reach it she heard a voice. “The pain.” A woman’s voice filled the room.

Chloe’s heart stopped and she thought she was found again. She thought Jun had come back to finish her off and make her slice her throat for real this time but she was wrong.

Turning slowly towards the voice a woman in a hospital gown just like her own was holding her hand out to her. She was pale and looked to be in her thirties. Her long brown hair was sticking to her face and it look as if she been sweating for days.

“Make the pain go away.” The pale woman stood still holding her hand out to Chloe.

Chloe assumed the woman must have been lost and need to find her way back to her own room. “Are you lost?” The question was shaky and Chloe’s voice was raspy. She cleared her throat and tried again. “Do you need a doctor?”

“The pain won’t go away.” The woman said.

Chloe was so confused and disoriented. Somehow she lived through another attack by Jun but this woman seemed so strange to her and out of place in the room she was in. How she got there, why she was there was so unclear.

“I’ll get a doctor.” Chloe walked towards the woman slowly. Whoever she was; was in pain and needed help. Her hand extended towards the woman and just as she was about to touch her someone called her name.

“Chloe.” She turned to see Lex in the doorway of the room. The look of terror had gone but she could see he was still concerned. “You’re awake.”

“This woman is in pain can you get a doctor for her?” She thought her request was clear but Lex looked at as if she was crazed. His eyes roamed around the room and he walked in closer to her as he searched.

“What woman?” He questioned.

Chloe’s eyes widened and she looked behind her. Had she not seen the woman asking for help? When she was focused in the direction of the woman, she was there still reaching out to her.

She looked back to Lex pointing behind her. “The woman is right here.”

“Please help me.” The pale woman repeated.

“I will. It’s okay we well get you some help.” Chloe turned back to her reaching for her hand again.

Lex touched her shoulder before she could take it. “Chloe there is no one here.” He repeated and his voice was wavering.

Chloe kept looking at the woman and she started to cry. How could Lex not see her? How could Lex not hear her? Chloe couldn’t look away from the pale woman’s face that was filled with tears.

“She’s here, she’s crying, can’t you see her?” Chloe insisted. Looking behind her again she saw that Sam and Dean had entered the room. “Dean… Sam… don’t you see her?”

“See who?” Sam spoke up first. “Is it Jun again?” He said, standing alert, ready for the next attack.

Chloe looked to the woman still asking for help, still crying and then looked to the boys all staring at her in disbelief.

“Chloe.” Lex’s hand was still at her shoulder and moved up to her cheek. “There is no one there.” His eyes lowered and he was trying to calm her but, it was only making it worse.

It was a dream she resolved. It had to be a dream and she was still passed out in Lex’s kitchen. But Dean’s words made it real. What he said made sense as to why she was seeing the woman in pain and they couldn’t.

As if she hadn’t gone through enough that day learning the truth of who her mother was, seeing Jun again then cutting herself under Jun’s control.

Something was happening to Chloe that she hoped she didn’t have. Something she thought skipped a generation and made her less like her mother. The only thing they shared were green eyes. She was hoping for years that she wasn’t like her mother knowing she had gone mad because of what was now true for them both.

Chloe Sullivan was more like her mother then she ever expected to be.

“It’s a ghost.” She heard Dean say softly. “She has the sight.”

TBC

Chapter 7 Gift

Mrs Dean Winchester Senior Member pipersmum's Avatar

Red face Re: Hidden in the Shadows Chapter 6 8/24/06 SV/SN (PG-13/R)

Letia this is really good I love how Dean interacts with Chloe, this paragraph was so Dean like
    He kept doing a little dance with his eyes. She could feel him staring at her as she bent over to make her shots. Dean took no care in how he positioned himself behind her claiming to be helping her with a shot but merely using the moment as a reason to touch her.
    I was surprised that Dean only wanted to ask her a question, I guess I was hoping it was going to be a kiss but never mind!!!

So Chloe can definitely see ghosts that girl is never going to get a good nights sleep!

I can't wait for more soon hopefully

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Hidden in the Shadows Chapter 6 8/24/06 SV/SN (PG-13/R)

Great update!

So Chloe is now a seer too--I love it!

And just as a side note, I'm loving that Dean is trying to get Chloe to admit her feelings for Lex--Good man
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Great update!!!! I was sure Dean & Chloe were going to be playing more than pool but, I think Dean can sense that Chloe & Lex love each other & he won't do anything until he knows for sure. Can't wait for more!

NS Full Member

I still really like the Dean and Chloe interaction and how fitting that it just stems from when they were younger. Naughty Dean and his teasing Chloe.

So she finally got ghost license I was wondering when that would come about. Great update look forward to the next part.
    'I build you out of nothing to have you near
    I remembered you on trains
    So now you're on every train I hear'
    Something For Kate: Old Pictures

I never really got into Supernatural but now I'm wondering what I'm missing out on. I'm really enjoying this story.

I hope you update soon. I'm really enjoying

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information