+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden in the Shadows (R)

Thumbs up Re: Hidden in the Shadows Chapter 3 7/8/06 SV/SN (PG-13/R)

I like how Chloe handled Dean =) I hope he hits on her- I think the'd be an interesting couple and at the very least he can make Lex jealous. I really like how you're depicting Lex and Chloe's relationship- some tension but you can tell he cares. Can't wait to read more!

NS Senior Member Senior Member letia84's Avatar

Hidden in the Shadows Chapter 4 8/3/06 SV/SN (PG-13/R)

Notes: Sorry for the delay with an update for this. I have been on the run for weeks. Now I have to pack and move by Saturday. I will do my best to be back with more soon. Thank you everyone for your nice feedback and to those reading it Nobody’s Hero has also been updated this week.

Chapter 4 Secret Life

When Dean and Sam arrived it was well into the afternoon. Chloe wanted to get started right away and needed to hear everything they knew about what was going on to save her mother and herself. Before anything could be started, Dean suggested that they have lunch.

Chloe wanted to object but she didn’t want to anger the people that were going to help her. Lex insisted the hotel restaurant was the best place; it was a great choice because they didn’t have to wait long for all of them to be seated and for things to start.

It was an interesting first few moments while being seated, watching Lex and Dean eyeball each other over where they were going to sit. Once again, Lex had won the staring match and Dean took the seat next to his brother across from her.

For some reason, it seemed like Dean was deliberately giving Lex a hard time. The thought made her a bit giddy. Even though he was helping her now, Lex did abandon their friendship months ago and it was nice to see him a little flustered.

After ordering, Chloe felt enough time had passed for them to get started with what they knew. She turned her attention to Sam, she wanted answers from him. He seemed like the logical, reasonable one in this pair and wanted to deal with him for now.

“So how did you know my mother was here in Colorado?” She could see Lex in her peripheral vision eyeing her. He looked rather surprised she was so direct but, he didn’t know her anymore after a year of being away.

Sam took a drink of water, placed it down and started. “It’s all in our father’s book.” She watched him pull out a brown leather date book from his side. It didn’t look like much. Paper was sticking out of it and it looked rather worn.

“What’s in this book?” Lex beat Chloe to the follow up question.

“I can’t really say but it helps us along the way.” Sam looked at Dean for agreement on the matter.

“You said there was a ghost right?” Dean leaned in closer to Chloe and she nodded once for him to go on. “The way to get rid of that ghost will most likely be in this book, if this isn’t a typical haunting.”

“So it’s a guide book?” Chloe jumped in before Lex could this time.

“I guess you could say that.” Sam replied to her while flipping through the worn bags of the little book. “Our dad wrote that if Moira Sullivan contacted us we should help her.”

“Is that all?” Lex seemed to want to play tag team with the questions. Chloe didn’t mind if it got her closer to the truth.

“No.” Dean started glaring at Lex as he spoke. “He said she was here in Colorado but wasn’t sure of the exact city. He knew she would be in an asylum. How, I don’t know. He also said that we wouldn’t remember her since we were little when we lived in Metropolis and knew her.”

It was just as Chloe assumed and John did know her mother from Metropolis. “So we could have met before?” Chloe tried to get Dean’s attention back on her. Whatever macho act he and Lex had going had to stop.

“There was this.” Sam handed Chloe what looked like a Polaroid.

Once she had it in her hands she could clearly see herself at age two or three with a boy that was a bit older than her. “Is this…” Chloe questioned but Sam cut in before she could finish.

“That would be me and I assume the little girl is you.” Sam pointed down at the image. “Apparently we played together.”

She was holding hands with him and it looked as if they were out in the city park. Chloe had no memory of this, how could she being so young. It only confirmed that, at one time, her mother trusted John Winchester. Trusted him so much she allowed Chloe to play with his son.

“So they were friends?” Lex cut into the awkward silent moment while Chloe studied the picture.

“I would say more then that.” Dean answered him with a grin. “They worked together.”

Chloe looked away of the photo handing it back to Sam. “Worked together doing what exactly?”

“Do you know anything about your mother’s life Chloe?” Sam seemed confused and his nose wrinkled at her question.

“My mother has been missing for thirteen years. She disappeared when I was six. I only have bits and pieces of memories of her and what little my father told me. So, no, I don’t know anything about my mother’s life.” One could hear the annoyed tone of her voice. She didn’t like the look she was given and didn’t like the idea that her mother seemed to have this other life she never knew about or was never told about.

“We have taken over our father’s business of hunting down…” Sam paused searching for the right word. “…evil things. At one time he went to your mother for help. She taught him a lot about the supernatural and mainly about ghosts.”

Chloe was listening to him but what he said made no sense. Why wouldn’t her father tell her any of this or, maybe, he didn’t know. She didn’t want to believe her mother was being haunted by a ghost but settled into that fact after seeing it.

Her face twisted and contorted in confusion. They were lying, they had to be. Her mother wasn’t involved in something like this. “Are you sure?”

“Its all here in our father’s notes Chloe.” Dean must have seen her discomfort and reached out to touch her handed fisted on top of the table. “He said that Moira was a great help when he first started. She specialized in helping spirits that needed guidance in order to cross over to the other side or those that need to be banished for good.”

Chloe was looking at him right in the eye as he spoke about her mother. When she found her mother again Chloe didn’t know what to expect but this secret life her mother was living had snuck up on her. It was a lot to take on all at once.

She closed her eyes for a moments trying to picture her mother braiding her hair. Her mind focused on how gentle and loving she was. If her mother did love her it made no sense why she left her or her father. Even if she was in trouble, she could have asked her father for help.

When her eyes opened, she was greeted with a warm look from Dean sitting across from her at the table and the sound of Lex clearing his throat. Out of corner of her eye she could see Lex still glaring at Dean.

Chloe’s mother seemed to have more secrets then she was prepared to learn about. “I’m sorry this is a lot to take. I know my mother is being haunted but now you’re telling me she brought this on herself.”

“No one is saying that Chloe.” Sam spoke up nudging his brother back away from her. There was some silent game going on between Dean and Lex. Now, it looked like Sam was going to be playing referee. Sam waited for Dean to move his hand back before he went on. “She helped people and I assume she got in too deep on one of her jobs.”

“How can we be sure that what you’re saying is true?” Lex leaned in close, his voice was all business. Chloe knew he had her best interest at heart. It made no sense for them lie to her. They hadn’t come into this looking for money or telling her anything she hadn’t already assumed.

Her mother had plenty of reason to lie. When she entered her room at the asylum she tried to make Chloe leave. All this time Chloe’s mother was trying to protect her. Somehow, Moira knew Jun would come after her if she knew who she was and that’s why she left. For thirteen years she took on the burden of keeping Jun away from her but now it was time for her to be set free.

“Look we are telling the truth. Why would we show up here and tell her some bullshit story about ghost?” Dean was leaning on the table just as closely as Lex was now.

Lex answered him through clenched teeth and his voice grew deeper. “I don’t know why but if you are lying, you should know who you’re dealing with before you get in too deep.” Looking at the both of them, it was the start of a fight.

“Who am I dealing with then?” Dean remarked full of sarcasm “Because you don’t look like much.”

Lex pushed his chair back, stood up, and made a scene in the restaurant that was thankfully more than empty. She placed her hand on his arm and took control of this before it went too far and someone ended up getting punched.

“Lex, I believe them.” She looked up at him and waited for his attention to be turned back to her. His gaze shifted down but his face hadn’t softened. “We didn’t tell them about my mother living in Metropolis. We didn’t tell them her name, they told me. I think they are here to help and nothing more.”

“She’s right.” Sam added trying to ease Lex back as well. “We just want to help.” He tuned to Dean and rolled his eyes at him before looking at Chloe. “We both want to help.”

Lex took a moment to adjust the jacket of the suit he was wearing and took his seat. “Do tell how you plan on helping Chloe then.” His tone had softened but, she could still see the tension coiled in his body.

“First, we need to hear what the nature of the haunting is. Maybe even see Moira for ourselves.” Sam answered while Dean slouched back in his chair.

“No, you can’t see her.” Chloe didn’t want anyone else near her mother. There was no telling what could happen to Sam or Dean. The last two doctors that tried to help her were both punished for it. “She’s not in any condition to see anyone. If you have questions, you can ask me.”

“It would really help if we could talk to her.” Sam protested.

“I’m sorry but I won’t allow it besides, the doctor has heavily restricted access to her. She’s being sedated in order to get through the day. She can’t talk to you; she can’t talk to anyone right now. If you have questions ask me. I have all her files and have basically memorized everything about her case.”

Chloe cringed thinking of her mother lying in bed alone while she was there in the hotel restaurant. She’d seen her every day since they arrived in Colorado and, even though she was so lost and they really couldn’t connect, it was hard not being with her right at that moment.

“Okay then, tell us what you know.”

Chloe nodded once and started her story of what happen when she saw her mother. She let them know how her mother’s condition got worse over the years. They both didn’t flinch when she told them about what happened to the doctors. The first one going insane and the death of the second seemed to roll off them like nothing.

She went over how the light left the room, how the shadows crept around her and her mother, then suddenly her mother turned into Jun. She repeated the chant her mother used and they told her it was to ward off Jun’s attack. She did her best to tell them about Jun’s appearance and made sure not to close her eyes for fear of seeing her.

The food arrived and Lex was going over what was happening while he was out in the hall. He made it clear that the door didn’t open and wouldn’t open until he took it off its hinges. Chloe could still hear him screaming for her.

All this talk of Jun Tyler and Chloe’s dream was starting to run through her mind. She pushed her plate back and didn’t think food was the way to go at that moment.

“Have you seen her since?” Chloe’s desire not to eat was enhanced by watching Dean speak to her with a mouth full of food.

“No, not since the first time.” Chloe answered then Lex cut in quickly.

“She hasn’t been sleeping.” He was trying to help but Chloe didn’t want them to know.

“Have you been having nightmares?” Sam asked.

Chloe didn’t want to answer this. Her dreams weren’t getting worse but she didn’t want to admit that she needed Lex to get her out of them. If she lied, it could delay helping her mother. Before she answered she needed to know how important it was for them to know the truth. “Can ghost haunt you in your dreams?”

Sam nodded once before he went on. “There are some cases of ghosts getting to people in their subconscious while they are sleeping.”

“Do some of these cases cause harm to the person being haunted?”

Sam looked at Dean and the answer couldn’t be good. Dean nodded once and Sam went on with the answer. “Yes, there are some cases of stroke.”

Chloe’s eyes widened at the thought of having a stroke in her sleep. She had to tell them the truth now.

Her hands clasped together in her lap under the table. This was the hardest talk she ever had with anyone. “I see her…” She started and stopped when she felt Lex’s hand covering hers. He seemed to know when she needed him the most. Dean held her hand a moment ago but this was different. Chloe felt her heart beat a little fast when he touched her but she was calmer the before. “I have nightmares about Jun.”

“What is she doing to you?” Dean asked. Both of them seemed eager to ask the questions and jump in before the other.

“She’s chasing me.” Chloe moved her hand around Lex’s in her lap and squeezed it. She remembered that hand was what got her away from Jun night after night.

“How do you wake up?” This time Sam won.

“In a cold sweat, gasping, terrified, I could go on.” Chloe didn’t mean to be rude but the interrogation was getting to her.

“I’m sorry that’s not what I meant.” Sam shook his hand no and honestly looked sorry for upsetting her. “Is anyone there with you? Your mother? Anyone helping you get away from her.”

“Is it important if someone is there? She’s after me the whole time.” Chloe didn’t want to let them know that Lex was helping her in her dreams. This trip was so strange with him and things seemed out of place for the both of them since he started to help.

“It could be important later. If something or someone is helping you get away from Jun then it could be a defense against her, just like your mother’s chant you told us about.” Sam was being the caretaker in all this. His eyes were low and his voice was calm and steady. Chloe could see who the people person was in this pair.

She swallowed hard, then turned to look at Lex who had stopped eating and was staring at her. His hand was clutching her own, he was really there to help her. She could see the look in his eyes and for the first time in a long time she could see his words were true; Lex did care about her.

“Lex is there for me.” She turned her attention away from him feeling too much looking into his eyes. “His hand reaches out to me and he pulls me away from her then, I wake up.” Lex’s hand tightened at her words. It felt the same way when she needed to wake up. It was almost as if he was silently saying he would be there when she needed him.

“Well then.” Dean said and pushed his plate aside. “Since he was the first thing you saw after the attack, it could be why you dream about him.”

“No I don’t think that’s it.” Sam interrupted. “Lex may be assuring Chloe that she is safe. When he’s around Jun loses her hold on Chloe. We can use that against Jun later if we have to.”

“It’s a theory little brother.” The pair of them shared a look and Chloe broke the silence.

“Now you know what I know so, what’s your theory?”

“It sounds like your run of the mill haunting but this lady has got a vendetta against your mother. It sounds like your mother may have tried to help Jun move on and Jun wasn’t interested.” Dean looked to Sam for approval. “I say we salt and torch the bones.”

Sam frowned and seemed to be looking inward for a moment. “We need to find out more about Jun first. If your mother was working the case in which Jun was killed she would have research on her.”

“I don’t have anything like that.” Chloe looked to Lex.

“We have found little to nothing on Jun Tyler.” Lex added.

“Have you asked your father?” Dean looked to Chloe and the thought never occurred to her.

She wanted to keep Gabe as far from this as possible. “No, he doesn’t even know I’m here now.”

“Then we should talk to him.” Sam finished the last bit of his sandwich after he answered, it looked like they might have to go to Smallville.

“He never told me about her secret life before why would he tell me now?” Chloe didn’t see the point. Gabe had kept all this from her for years, there was no reason he would just start spilling it all now.

“Chloe we are left with few options here.” Lex jumped into the fight. “If my people aren’t able to find anything then maybe your father is the next best thing.”

“He’s right.” Dean added. “Your dad may have kept it from you to protect you and there is no reason to do that now seeing as how Jun is after you too.”

Chloe let go of Lex’s hand then sighed long and deep. If her father knew all about her mother’s secret life, it could be what saves them both. “I should call him and tell him we are coming. He might remember the two of you.”

Lex moved his hand away when he felt her let go. She could see the disappointment in his face but pushed it back as nothing. Her mother was to come first in all this, not Lex’s strange behavior.

“I’ll call to prep the jet.” Lex announced and reached for his cell phone in his suit pocket.

“Jet!” Dean questioned with his voice hitching up in tone at the end. “As in airplane?”

~~~~)~~~~(~~~~

After a few moments of conniving, Chloe was sitting in the Luthor Corp jet once again. This time she was a lot less nervous than she had been before but still worried about what was going to happen.

She called her dad and it was a rough conversation to have. There was no mention to him of Dean and Sam. She would save that as a surprise when they got there. It was to corner him and Chloe hated using such a tactic on her father but they need answers. She told him she found her mother and that they needed to talk. Gabe was less then pleased with the news but by the end of the phone call he was just glad to hear Moira was alive after all those years of being away.

Chloe glanced over the cabin and Lex was sitting across from her like before with Sam next to him. It wasn’t exactly where he wanted to sit. When they all boarded the jet, Dean rushed to the sit in the seat near Chloe and Lex walked in behind him a slow second.

Lex was giving so much, and not just his money, to help her right now. Chloe couldn’t let herself wonder what Luthor Corp business he was leaving unattended. She wondered if he even called the past few days to check on Lionel’s condition. Lex was giving up so much of his time to be there with her right now. Chloe didn’t want to get ahead of herself but it looked as if he was trying to repair their, once dead, friendship.

She looked across to Dean, his leg was jittering like a junkie waiting for his next fix. Sam made a comment about him being afraid of flying and Dean excused himself for a moment. Chloe assumed they had a little brotherly banter but he returned, ready to go. It took some doing but Dean expected Lex’s offer of having their car driven into the city. For some reason he couldn’t leave the thing behind and it had nothing to do with his fear of flying.

“Are you all right?” Chloe questioned him getting his attention off the sky outside of the window. He was staring out the tiny window for the last twenty minutes since take off.

“I’m fine.” He said clearing his throat once.

“Remember to breathe.” Sam shouted out to him from across the cabin with a snicker.

“Thank you Sammy.” Dean yelled back to him with a hint of anger in his voice.

Chloe couldn’t help but giggle at a grown man afraid of flying. “You know more people die…” She wasn’t allowed to finish the statistic because Dean cut in.

“In car accidents then they do in plane crashes.” He said mockingly.

“I was just trying to help.” Chloe finished with a grin.

“Thank you but I think I can handle it.” He looked back to the window and Chloe saw a shift in his expression. He was no longer shaking his leg and his eyes weren’t cringing in fear. Dean put his attention back to her and leaned in close to where she was sitting. “Can I ask you question?”

It appeared he was turning on some sort of charm that Chloe could see right through but she indulged him all the same. “Okay, one question.”

His voice was at a whisper and his question startled her a bit. “How long have you and money bags been dating?” He finished with a smirk and Chloe wanted to slap it off his face.

She leaned in to meet him half way and lowered her voice to his level. “We aren’t together, we are just friends but, if we were I sure as hell wouldn’t tell you about it.” Chloe leaned back in her chair arms folded over her body in defense.

Even though he was pissing her off, this was keeping her mind off of the things that had been plaguing her for the week. For a few moments she wasn’t worried about her mother, Jun coming after her again or Lex’s confusing actions towards her.

“It was a valid question.” Dean was still leaning over in his seat and grinned at her, waiting for her to take the bait.

It wasn’t impossible for Chloe to back down from this but she went in, head first, leaning back towards him. “Explain to me how it was a valid question.”

“Well…” He stated matter-of-factly. “The way he keeps looking over here for one thing would tip me off that he’s not too happy that I’m sitting with you.”

Chloe eyes squinted; she hadn’t noticed Lex’s glances during the flight. Her head peaked to the side; he was in fact looking right at them. Quickly jerking her head away she sat back in chair. It didn’t mean anything, he was just worried about Dean for some reason and that’s why he was looking.

“So what? It doesn’t make your question valid.” Chloe huffed out.

His finger curled for her to come back into the lowered position. She ignored it. “Okay I’ll just say it out loud.” He was about to open his mouth but Chloe didn’t want Lex’s attention draw to the conversation about him.

She leaned forward and slanted her eyes at him. “What?”

“I was just going to say I can prove my theory.” He whispered to her.

“How?” Chloe whispered back, a little interested in finding out how much Lex truly cared about her.

“When I touched your hand at lunch he was about to punch me.” Dean reminded her of Lex’s outburst but she didn’t see that as the trigger. His anger came from Dean’s bad attitude and nothing more.

They had been glaring at each other since the Winchesters arrived. “That had nothing to do with me. You were baiting him since you arrived.”

“Maybe or maybe he just got jealous that someone was touching something that he deems his.” Dean darted a quick look back then turned his attention back to Chloe.

Her eyes were full of anger and her skin was starting to blush a bright pink color. He was making assumption and making her look like a fool. She wasn’t Lex Luthor’s possession and didn’t want to be. “He doesn’t own me. He may be helping me with all of this but Lex Luthor is not my keeper.”

“That may be the case but I can see he wants to be.” Dean’s whispered ended with a chuckle.

He wasn’t funny or charming and Chloe wanted this talk over. “How are you going to prove any of this to me and why are you going to prove it for that matter?”

“Well first off if I’m going to keep flirting with you….”

Chloe interrupted before he could go on with a laugh. “You call this flirting?”

“You think you’re pissed off at me but I see that hint of curiosity behind your eyes.”

Chloe covered her mouth before she burst into laugher. They only met a few hours ago and he thought he could read her so well. “I’ll let you think what you will but trust me its not curiosity your seeing.”

Chloe leaned closer to him, grinning on the way down locking eyes with him. Dean seemed to think this was some seductive move and smirked at her as she got just about to his ear. “The hint of something you see behind my eyes is...” She took in a deep breath and heard him do the same. She let it out slowly and finished the thought. “…is anger.”

She leaned back to see his reaction and his grin was now a blank stare. “No matter, just give it time. Anger is good for passion.” He adjusted his positions and started with his plan. “I can still prove to you that Mr. Luthor isn’t looking to help just because he’s a friend.”

“Fine show me.” Chloe was going to do this. Dean thought he was so smart and she would let him prove it only to watch him fall flat on his face.

“I have to touch you again.” He reached his hand out to her.

Chloe nudged his hand away. “No, I don’t think so.”

His grin grew into a smile and he reached out again. “I’m a gentleman, don’t worry.” He moved his fingers to the strands of hair hanging down in her face and pushed them back. “I just need him to see me touching you and I promise he’ll be over her asking me for a chat in a few seconds.”

Chloe let his hand move behind her ear taking her hair with them and they locked eyes. His dark eyes soften some and he was no longer being cocky and condescending. His fingers stroked the line of her jaw and moved back to her cheek while they looked at each other. It was like she was under some trance and Chloe licked her lips as if she was preparing for a kiss, moistening the top then the bottom slowly.

Dean seemed to see the hint and moved in closer to her, whispering to her once more. “You really do have beautiful eyes.”

Chloe keep her eyes on him and didn’t look away from him getting closer to her during the tender moment but suddenly it all stopped. She could feel someone standing next to them. Out the corner of her eye she could make out the dark pants Lex had put on that morning.

She leaned back and looked up at him. “Is everything all right Lex?’ Chloe tried to talk to him as normal as possible but she could see he was angry. His hands were fisted at his sides and his knuckles looked white from the pressure.

Lex was focused completely on Dean now sitting back in his chair smiling ear to ear. “Everything is fine Chloe. I just want a word with Mr. Winchester.”

“Sure thing…” Dean looked to her as he undid his seat belt. “…friend.” She watched him following Lex to the back of the plane then saw the curtain shut behind them.

Something happen just now and it wasn’t just the long stare she shared with Dean. If Chloe hadn’t gone completely mad by then she could read Lex so well at that moment.

He was jealous.

Chloe ran her fingers through her hair and couldn’t believe it. It appeared her mother wasn’t the only one living a secret life and keeping it from her. Lex was living a secret life as well, hiding his true feelings for her. The thought of another secret coming to light made Chloe’s stomach drop and her heart pound.

It only meant her secret life would be revealed very soon.

TBC

Chapter 5 Protection

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Hidden in the Shadows Chapter 4 8/3/06 SV/SN (PG-13/R)

Excellent update!

So Chloe's mom has some sort of supernatural ability--that's pretty cool.

I wonder what Lex is going to say to Dean? A jealous Lex can be rather dangerous, and now Chloe knows that Lex has feelings for her--this is also awesome.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

Oh what a great update. Lex is so jealous.

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

very interesting i can't wait for more and i find it funny that lex is jealous

He's jealous! Hooray for Dean Can't wait to read more!

NS Full Member

OH I like, I'm still a bit off on Lex but I'm enjoying the subject and the trouble that Dean seems to be intent on creating.
    'I build you out of nothing to have you near
    I remembered you on trains
    So now you're on every train I hear'
    Something For Kate: Old Pictures

Mrs Dean Winchester Senior Member pipersmum's Avatar

Wow I can't believe I only just found this!! Letia it's fantastic I love it I wish they were more fic's with the Winchesters and Chloe and Lex

You have captured Dean just right and Sammy for that matter. I love a jealous Lex I am desperate for you to update please do it soon or I will be forced to pester you!

NS Senior Member Senior Member letia84's Avatar

Hidden in the Shadows Chapter 5 8/19/06 SV/SN (PG-13/R)

Chapter 5 Protection

As the evening approached, Chloe found herself standing at her front door. Her father was waiting alone inside for her while she stood outside far from being alone. After what seemed like the longest flight known to man they landed in Smallville.

After Dean’s little game, the rest of the plane ride was in silence. Dean and Lex had their talk in the back of the plane and both of them returned as if nothing happened. The blank look on their faces was unnerving. They were just discussing her and they both took their seats as if nothing happened.

Chloe asked Dean what was said but he waved the question off as an exchange between friends and there was no need for her to be concerned. The comment was infuriating after what he did by stirring things up.

She was also a little taken a back by how easily he almost kissed her. If Lex hadn’t walked by Chloe was certain they would have kissed. The idea was unsettling but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do.

The rest of plane ride she kept her head down and away from either of them. She didn’t want anymore attention drawn to the fact that Lex was jealous and she was somewhat happy about it. Both men were a puzzle that would have to wait to be solved.

Her secret was still intact but Lex’s was waving about free in the wind. Right now at the front door of the town house she shared with her father, her mother’s secrets were her concern.

Chloe had her key ready to open the door but had to say something first. She turned to find Lex right behind her while Dean and Sam were just behind him. “I just want it clear that we are not going to interrogate my father. I don’t want him to feel like this is an ambush.”

“But this is an ambush.” Dean added with a smirk.

Her eyes couldn’t be stopped from rolling at him. Lex took the last few steps to stand closer to her as she made her silent protest to Dean’s comment. “Everything will be fine.” Lex’s calming voice was what she needed but his sweetness was reminding her about what Dean said.

Lex wanted her but he wasn’t telling her and it didn’t seem like he ever would.

Chloe smiled quickly and turned her gaze away from him. “I’m serious. Treat my dad with respect.” Her words were directed right at Dean.

Sam moved in behind Lex. “We both understand Chloe.”

She nodded once and went back to unlock the door. Opening it slowly she could hear her father stirring inside the house. “Honey is that you?” Gabe’s voice sounded from behind the door and when it was completely opened he was standing right there.

“Hi daddy.” Chloe tried to appear as chipper and upbeat as possible as her father’s eyes settled on the three men behind her.

“Lex? Who? What?” His short questions ran together looking at all of them standing at the door. She didn’t want to do this to him but for thirteen years he was keeping things from her, things that could have saved her mother years ago. Today he would have to tell her everything.

Gabe couldn’t protect her forever.

“Dad, I promise to explain everything to you but you have to let us in the house.” Chloe nudged him aside and was followed in by what she was going to refer to as the boys.

She heard the boys saying their hellos to her father as Chloe walked in to take a seat in the family room. She sat on the large sofa in the room and was joined by Lex. Sam and Dean followed suit to take a seat on the love seat while her father was the last to take a seat.

“Dad I want you to meet Sam and Dean.” She paused and looked for some sort of reaction from him and got nothing. “Sam and Dean Winchester.” She added then got the reaction look she was waiting for.

Gabe’s eyes widen and he cleared his throat before speaking. “John’s boys?”

“Yes sir, John is our father.” Dean answered him and he was actually doing as she asked.

“I want you boys out of my house.” Gabe stood up from the arm chair he was sitting in and moved for the front door.

Chloe didn’t know what was going on but she wasn’t going to get rid of the people that could save her mother and herself. She walked behind him quickly taking hold of his arm to stop him from leaving the room “Dad they are here to help mom. Why would you want them to leave?”

He looked at her with deep concern; concern that she only saw once in her life. The day they took the ride to the safe house, before Lionel’s trial, Gabe looked so concerned for her and he was looking that way again.

Gabe’s hand covered her own. “I just want to protect you from all of this.”

“But you can’t dad. Whatever happened to mom, whatever made her leave us; it’s not just after her anymore.” Chloe saw her father’s fears coming to life.

His body seemed to go tense and his arms pulled her close to him. “Not you too. I can’t lose you.” She could hear him on the verge of tears.

The simple plea told Chloe what she needed to know. Her father knew more about her mother’s life then he wanted to tell her. “Dad, that’s why they are here, to help me.”

“She’s right sir. We just want to help get this thing.” Sam was behind them and Chloe hadn’t notice him being wrapped in her father’s arms.

“If it’s after you, then I failed.” Gabe pulled back and looked at her. “I did what your mother asked me to do but now I can see I failed.”

“You didn’t fail dad.” Chloe didn’t understand what he was trying to tell her and it was time he explained. “Please sit and tell us what you know.”

He nodded once and moved back to the arm chair he was sitting in. Chloe found Sam behind her. Sam quietly sat back in the love seat with Dean and started what wasn’t an interrogation but seemed so much like it. “Sir, if you know our father, then you know what we do.”

Chloe sat with Lex doing what he had done best since this started. His face was stern and his demeanor was calm, keeping Chloe centered on what was happening.

“The last time I saw you Sam, you and Chloe were thick as thieves. I used to think that you two would be friends for a long time until John up and moved out of Metropolis.” Chloe studied her father as he spoke, validating the picture of her and Sam. “The two of you would laugh all the time. Most of the time I had no idea what you laughing about.” He chuckled a little at the memory.

“What about me?” Dean questioned.

“You were older and I think the fact that Chloe was a girl bothered you. Mostly you would pull her hair and make her cry then she would kick you. You two didn’t get along.” Gabe just defined how things were going with Dean now. He was annoying when they were kids and he was annoying now.

Chloe looked at Dean; he was already looking at her. “I guess we still like to fight.” He said with a smirk.

“Mr. Sullivan, what was the nature of John and Moira ’s relationship.” Lex interrupted the trip down memory lane and got them back to the matter at hand.

Gabe shifted in his seat and his eyes settled on Sam and Dean. “Your father wanted to know everything about ghosts. At the time, Moira was slowing down her work. She wanted to spend more time with Chloe and I as a family. After years of wanting her to say that to me, John Winchester came knocking on our door.”

“She worked with our father then?” Sam was on the edge of his seat. He seemed eager to hear more about his father’s life; as if he didn’t know him. Chloe had no idea how it was for him growing up in a world where ghosts, and other bad things, were a common occurrence.

Gabe sighed long and deep before he answered. “Yes, she and John worked several jobs before he took off with you two. Your mother had a gift for banishing ghosts and John wanted to know all about it. Once he got what he wanted, John skipped town never to be heard from again.”

“How did she get involved in any of this dad?” Chloe felt a chill go up her spine at the thought of Chloe’s mother chasing a ghost like Jun.

“Honey, there are so many things I haven’t told you about your mother.” Gabe moved from his seat to sit next to her. He took her hand and started the story that she wanted to hear for years.

“When I meet your mother she had a secret. She would disappear for a few days and she wouldtell me that it was her job, that she had taken over the family business and was an ancient dealer. At first it all seemed to make sense so I asked her to move in with me and she did. We were happy and when she came home from trips I had what I wanted. Then I noticed the bruises.”

“Bruises?” Chloe squeezed his hands, willing the words out of him. The boys stayed quiet. They all seemed to know she needed to be in control of this and kept quiet.

“Yes, she would have gashes on her head or a scratch on her arms. Once, she had a burn on her shoulder and that was it for me. I loved your mother, I wanted to marry her and make a life with her but there was this one thing keeping us from truly being together. I told her I would leave if she didn’t tell me the truth, so she finally did.” His eyes drifted away and Chloe was so worried about herself that she forgot how hard this was for her dad.

Her free hand took his hand in hers. “It’s all right dad, you don’t have to hide this anymore.”

“She said.” He started and stopped again. Gabe swallowed hard before he could go on. “She said I hunt ghosts. Then I laughed.”

“Most people do.” Dean added.

“Yes, but she wasn’t joking. The look in her eyes was one I’d never seen. She told me she had a gift and it was one she couldn’t ignore. Her mother had it and she taught her how to use it. Moira said she can feel them.” Gabe looked lost now. He was holding in so much.

“She could feel them?” Chloe looked to Sam and Dean for the answers; she could see her dad needed a break.

“She’s some kind of seer?” Dean spoke up pulling their father’s worn notebook from inside his jacket. He flipped the pages quickly until he found what he wanted. “Yes, it’s right here. Sam how did you miss this?”

“Miss what? Dad didn’t mention anything about her being a seer.” Sam took the book from him staring at the page blankly.

“Look right there, the two eyes drawn in red.” Dean took the book from him and flipped it around so the rest of them could see. He pointed down to the two eyes he spoke of. “My dad used all sorts of codes and a pair of red eyes means seer. Your mother can sense ghosts, she might even dream about them. She can tell how they died and talk to them when no one else can. Sometimes if a haunting is strong enough, the seer might relive their death if they are close enough to where the person died.”

“Dad is that true?” Chloe turned back to her father and he nodded once.

“That’s what she told me then she showed me her books. She had written down the things she would dream about, things she saw, people she helped and people she had to banish. Your mother was good at what she did.”

Gabe released her hand and told her something she never knew. “I left her after she showed me. I thought she had gone insane and I didn’t know what to do. I left her for three days before coming home. For three days I thought about the things I read in her books and what she said. I couldn’t think of one reason not to go ahead with my plan to marry her. Moira wasn’t crazy and she wasn’t lying to me. She helped people and the thought made me love her more.”

“So you came home and what happened?” Chloe saw the guilt in his eyes for leaving her. Her mother exposed her life to him and he ran out on her. There was no reason for him to be guilty. What happened couldn’t be easy for anyone to deal with.

“I came home and I apologized for leaving then she said that I needed to see it in order to believe it and she took me out on a job. I was terrified but your mother knew exactly what to do. The family she helped thanked her a hundred times before we went home and I saw her for the first time. This was and important part of her life and I finally saw your mother for who she was.”

“You married her even though she lied to you?” Lex’s question came out of nowhere. Chloe looked back at him and he was staring at her as he spoke.

“Yes, forgiveness is a great gift.” Gabe replied. “If I didn’t forgive her wouldn’t have spent so many wonderful years with her. I wouldn’t have Chloe.”

Chloe was still looking at Lex when her father answered. “Your right, forgiveness is priceless.” Lex said and his eyes were on her as if he was asking her for forgiveness.

All of Lex’s strange behavior had to be about him asking for forgiveness. He said he owned he more then this after what happened in the caves but what that was still wasn’t clear. Chloe had to look away, now wasn’t the time to talk about it.

Her mother’s books were what mattered now. They could have the answers they sought about Jun Tyler.

“Dad do you know Jun Tyler?” Chloe looked at him staring away from her.

“Yes.” He answered and that’s all he said.

All this time Jun was torturing her mother and Gabe knew about it. Chloe couldn’t believe that all this time he kept this secret. She wanted him to say no. She wanted him to offer them the books, not to tell her that he knew her mother’s tormentor and did nothing about it.

Chloe didn’t come into this angry but now she was. “How could you do that? How could you know John, and what he could do, and not look for him dad. Mom was going crazy and you let it happen and did nothing to stop it. Jun could have been stopped years ago if you did something.” Chloe didn’t realize she was yelling but her voice grew louder as she spoke.

“I did what I had to do.” Gabe reached out for her hand again but, Chloe wasn’t going to let him take it.

She jerked back bumping into Lex on the way. “Don’t you dare tell me you did what you had to do? I saw mom, she’s so lost right now and she doesn’t have to be. You could have done something.” Chloe wanted out of the room. She needed to clear her head of all of this.

Too many lies had caught up to her. She moved from her seat and tried to get to her room but Gabe stopped her. “You wait a minute young lady.” He grabbed her arm stopping her from leaving.

They stood together; fighting in front of the boys like they weren’t even there. “Whatever you have to say, I don’t want to hear it. I want mom’s books and I’ll take care of the rest.”

Gabe looked down at her and let go of her arm. “I won’t apologize for not looking for John. I made a promise and I kept it.”

Her eyes narrowed and made Chloe did need to hear this. “A promise?’

“Your mother tried to stop Jun. She was killing people and she did her best but Jun latched on to her somehow. Your mother wouldn’t explain it to me or let me help her. She said she had to leave because Jun would come for you next. She made me promise that I would take care of you. I wouldn’t let you find her once she was gone.”

Gabe’s hands moved over her hair, looking at his daughter lovingly. “She didn’t want you to know you had it too. That you would start seeing things the way she did one day. She didn’t want what was happening to her to ever happen to you. So I promised to keep you away from the paranormal world. I promised her I wouldn’t let you look for her but over the years it was impossible to stop you. Now Jun is doing it to you isn’t she? I was supposed to protect you and I failed.”

“But you loved her, why didn’t you try to save her?” Chloe’s voice had softened and she was calming down. How could she stay angry at him? Her father was her protection and he felt like a failure now because Chloe had to know the truth.

“I had a six year old who needed me more. John didn’t want to be found but your mother went looking for him anyway. She would call at first but, as time went on, the haunting got worst and your mother disappeared. I could have dropped everything and went after her but I made a promise. My little girl needed me and I wasn’t about to leave you because I was all you had. I couldn’t let you lose us both.”

Chloe was crying now and couldn’t stop. She did need someone in her life and was thankful that her father was there for her. If she lost them both she had no idea where her life would be and didn’t want to know. Her arms wrapped around him and she pulled her father into and embrace.

She was sobbing into his shirt while he tried to comfort her. “I just want you to be safe. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you any of this before. I had to protect you.”

They both needed this moment; it was all out between them now. Chloe let herself be a child a little while longer and savored the hug her father was giving her. He rocked her slowly saying how much he loved her and how proud he was of her. It was hard to hear and it hurt like hell but Gabe had helped them. He told them what they needed to know.

Once Chloe got herself together, Gabe told her he had the books and Jun’s story had to be in them but he never looked at Moira ’s request. He went for them and left Chloe alone with the boys. They didn’t speak but they all looked very worried about her.

Chloe didn’t think of them and looked inward for a moment. Her mother didn’t want her to know what she could do because Chloe might be able to do it too. She thought back to what Dean said about a seer and tried to think of a time when she felt anything like what her mother had.

Her mind focused on her nightmare of Jun and that was the only thing she could think of. She resolved that maybe she wasn’t a seer but Chloe didn’t know how wrong she was.

“Here are the books.” Gabe returned to the room with a large, worn box with Moira ’s name on it. She’d never seen the box before and wondered how he kept it from her all these years.

Chloe stood over the box and opened it slowly to find several composition books. She pulled out one; it wasn’t dated or marked in anyway. She flipped the pages and none of it made much sense to her. “Dad how do you…” Her question was cut short by he father.

“Honey your mother is the only that can make sense of these. You’ll have to go through all of them.”

“We will go through them.” Dean spoke; getting up from his seat and looked at the books.

“We need space to spread these out.” Chloe mumbled while flipping though a second book.

“Then we should take them to the manor.” Lex replied.

The suggestion was a good one. If they needed space, the manor was definitely spacious. “Thank you Lex.” Chloe looked back at him as he moved towards her.

“We should get started.” Dean grinned at her as she picked up the box.

Chloe said a few words to her dad before heading out and at the door she was followed by Lex. Sam and Dean had loaded the box into the car and were already seated in the car.

“Lex.” Gabe called out to him before he could move through the door.

“Yes, sir.” There wasn’t a time when Chloe saw Lex call her father by his name. He always referred to him as sir no matter how many times he told him not to.

“You found my wife?” Chloe heard her father’s question and stopped moving towards the car Lex had driven to her house.

“Yes, sir I did.” Lex’s back was to her but she could hear every thing they were saying.

“Thank you and now I need you to do one more thing for me.” Chloe didn’t know what was going on but her father was still trying to protect her. “You saved my daughter once and you told me you would never let anything happen to her when we were in hiding. I need you to tell me now you’re still going to do that. If Sam and Dean are half the man their father was I’m sure they will do their best to help her but you know Chloe better then they do. I would feel better knowing you’re protecting her again. ”

“You have my word. I’ll do everything I can to keep her safe.” Lex and Gabe shared a look and then her father went back into the house. Chloe watched Lex turn to look at her, staring at the two of them intently. She didn’t move from her spot and watched him walk towards her. “Is that all right with you, me protecting you?”

He looked at her as Chloe’s heart was pounding a little. Her father just handed her protection over to Lex. He didn’t know what happen during the meteor shower and if she had her way he never would. Gabe knew how hard Lex worked to keep her safe from Lionel and trusted him enough to do it again.

“It’s all right with me. Just don’t think this means you can take charge or anything.” Chloe wanted to stop the hard beating of her heart and thought a minor jab at Lex would do it.

“I wouldn’t dream of crossing you Miss Sullivan.” Lex moved closer to her leaning down to her ear. “I hope this means you forgive me.” He moved back away from her and the tenderness in his eyes had returned.

The sound of his voice in her ear didn’t help her poor heart and it started to beat even faster. Lex was so confusing but now wasn’t the time to talk about it.

There was never the right time to talk about it.

Chloe tested the boundaries between them and moved close to him, resting her head in his chest. Lex took the gesture for what it was and his arms wrapped around her. She could feel his heart and it was beating just has hard and fast as hers..

“I forgive you.” Chloe mumbled muffled in his dress shirt. After she spoke she heard him sigh long and deep as if he was relieved to be forgiven. His arms tightened around her and the hug was lasting long then she expected.

There was no reason for her not to forgive him. Lex had made a mistake and they could talk about it later but right now, for him to truly be there for her, they needed to do this. They never touched this much before but now it seemed like they both need this lingering embrace. They need to move past what happen in caves and what happen last year if they were working together again.

Just as Chloe thought they were getting somewhere, Lex pulled away from her quickly. “We should get going.” He went for the car without looking back. For some reason when they got close or started really talking Lex would pull away. For now it would have to wait and the warm feeling he just gave her would have to be pushed back.

Her mother’s books held the key to the mystery of Jun Tyler and they would solve it.

TBC

Chapter 6 The Sight

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Hidden in the Shadows Chapter 5 8/19/06 SV/SN (PG-13/R)

Wonderful update.

So Chloe's mom is a seer, and Chloe herself might have the gift as well--COOL!!

I don't blame Gabe for being freaked out--finding out that someone you love has paranormal abilities is quite strange. And he did the right thing--Chloe needed a constant in her life, especially at six years old. Her mom was gone, so her dad became even more important to her.

I liked that Gabe trusts Lex with Chloe's life, but when is Lex going to admit his feelings for Chloe?
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information