+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Wisdom, R, Post-Fragile One-shot

Destroyer of Mullets

Re: Acceptable Wisdom, R, Post-Fragile One-shot

Quote Originally Posted by nonky
    Disclaimer: I do not own the characters or the television show Smallville. If I did I’d be very ashamed and covered in money dirtied with Lexana. For some reason I think I'd also be an impotant dirty old man.
    Yes, and you'd have to write (and I use that word in its loosest possible sense) with crayons and your own faeces like Mr DeKnight.

Lex was rarely pleased to see his father at any time in his life, and he had been enjoying the neglect while seducing Martha Kent took up Lionel’s time.
    Wheee! I heart Lionel/Martha.

There was no gain in continuing the family line only to produce cretins where there might be genius.
    Hee. Lana can seriously damage your children's health.

"I won’t have you spreading unsavory stories about Martha Kent. She is an upstanding, ethical woman who will do a lot of good as a senator."
    "And she's going to be your stepmother."

"Because you squandered the bond she felt for you. I made the same mistake. Mr. Kent seems to have learned his lesson, however. She’s a surprisingly powerful force."
    How galling must it be when Clark does something smart and you... don't? Especially when you're a brooding, megalomaniac genius and he's a farmboy.

"It was a recognition of her abilities, and a difficult decision. I enjoyed her more than she knew. For a long time I couldn’t decide between fucking her and eating her."
    Oh, dear God. Over-share! Over-share!

"I imagine you grappled with the same choice. Those months as her protector must have been bliss and torment combined."
    Yes. And we're back to Witness Protection. Which is one of my all-time favourite fics.

"She’s very appealing to men like us. For that year I slept with blonds almost exclusively to relieve the . . . tension. I love a woman who can give as good as she gets. Unfortunately, I had to deny myself."
    Dude *Snorts with laughter and then shudders* You are so wrong. But I love you anyway.

"Of course, if you’re intent on the barely legal, I’m sure Miss Lang tastes sweet - like those hard candies playing an ubiquitous role on every secretary’s desk. A lump of pure sugar with colors to fool you into believing there’s a flavor underneath. Pure sweetness isn’t the worst thing in a woman," he concluded, his tone diplomatic.
    No, emotional flaccidity, constant self-pity and the world-view of a navel-gazing contortionist are the worst things in a woman. Lana? Hee. Pure sugar with colors. You rock.

"This has absolutely made up for the birds and bees talk we never had," he mocked tightly. "Thank you for your many repugnant insights."
    He should be thanking God that Lionel never gave him the talk. Can you imagine the trauma of Lionel Luthor telling you about sex when you're still young? Jesus.

Clark had allowed her an equal place in something they all knew was infinitely larger than a romance. It meant more than any plans Lex could have made for Lana. Stark, ugly bitterness made him put down his drink.
    You spaced it differently but I read it like this. Lex is completely jealous that Clark has Chloe wholly on his side and he's stuck with the easily manipulated Lana. As he should be. Dumbass.

There are no words, Nonky. You know how I love your fics. Every one of them is a tiny, intricate, glinting masterpiece of Chlex. *Glomps you regardless of personal space or that restraining order* LOVE!

Thessaly

PS I still want that smutty hypnosis threesome fic though. STAT!

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Its fics like these that keep me sane while watching the show. I just have to believe there is something deeper between Lex and Chloe. I yell these things at the tv and my roommates just stare at me and say that I should accept what I see for truth and stop living in denial. But I come here and have all of you wonderful people writing amazing fics with great insight and I'm able to keep the dream alive. Who cares if I live in denial, it's a hell of lot better than the dimension where SV is. Thanks for the great story.

Fan Artist, Fanfic Lover Senior Member Esther25jm's Avatar

Wow, that was gorgeous!! Perfect use of Lionel as the one to point out the differences between the two women. Loved it!

I loved it. Mainly Chloe's commet and the one simple fact of life!!

The dialog was fantastic, completely caustic. Perfection. The depth of feelings behind it was equally weighty. Wonderfully done.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

I adored this fic. At this point I suppose I 'might' have become notorious for my near-fanatical devotion towards (well-written) Lionel dialogue and action. This fic fit perfectly in with my view of Luthor Senior. Callous, manipulative, ruthless and just plain nasty (in every sense of the word).
    For a long time I couldn’t decide between fucking her and eating her
    That is one nasty bit of imagery, but rather compelling and facinating at the same time. I need professional help

I loved the comparisions he made between Lana and Chloe. Comparing Lana to those colourful, eye-catching sweeties that adults have learned never to touch... was just such an amazingly apt description. Clearly the implication was that Lana was the kind of girl that young teenage boys went for, while Chloe was the kind of woman that men developed a taste for during their older and wiser years (just like scotch)

In his own eloquent way, Lionel was simply telling Lex to 'Grow up and act your age!'

There was no gain in continuing the family line only to produce cretins where there might be genius.
    It was excellent to see someone understand and appreciate the value of Chloe Sullivan.

"There seem to be a lot of young women running away from you lately," Lionel reflected, tilting his glass to the lamp to light up his scotch. "It might be an indicator your charm is waning."

Shifting in the leather armchair, Lex turned a sigh into a sneer. "Let it rip, I’m prepared to be condescended to."

Your personal life has never needed my help to fall apart," Lionel pointed out, gesturing around the room with his drink. "At least I’m not aware of a happy marriage, unless you’ve managed it in the past day."
    I just loved the rapid fire cutting dialogue exchange between Lex and Lionel. The two of them don't even seem to think twice about letting loose some casually cruel remarks to one another. I get the feeling it would make them both extrememly uncomfortable to actually have a civil conversation

But underneath the cruelty, there seemed to be genuine concern for Lex and his taste in partners. Lionel kept making allusions to the relationship problems that Lex has been suffering through, and he brought up Chloe as a possible solution to Lex's ridiculous problems in finding love. So disregarding all the nasty, callous, snide comments, this was a really 'sweet' Luthor father-son bonding session. As sweet as a discussion can get considering that they were both discussing a common carnal attraction towards a college student

I'm looking forward to the Chluthor fic you were referring to in some earlier thread. I think you had plans to call the fic 'Acceptable'? But please, please, PLEASE update 'The Lesser of Two Evils' (or Onyx?)... or any of your fics... I'm not especially choosy at this point

p.s. I apologize for any lack of coherency in this review. Its 2.00am, and I'm very, verrry sleepy. gd'night all!

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

very interesting and a little scary that lional would talk about chloe like that though those thing are true i wish lana would go away and never kissed lex that is just gross.

"Let’s get to the point, Dad," he said caustically, making the last word acidic. "How do I get rid of you for another few months?"

"Relax, son, I’ll be leaving as soon as I am allowed to dispense some valuable advice. Humor my attempt to be paternal and we’ll be each on his own separate lonely road once more."

Shifting in the leather armchair, Lex turned a sigh into a sneer. "Let it rip, I’m prepared to be condescended to."
    I just read through this ficlet again, and it was as amazing an experience on it’s (10th? 20th?) read, as it was during the first time I read through it.

I just LOVE fics that manage to bring out the full force of the animosity between Luthor father and son. If done properly, the kind of sparks between the Luthors can rival the electricity and fireworks that flow between Chloe and Lex during their most heated moments together. A VERY different kind of voltage of course, but that doesn’t make the sparkage any less powerful.

His drink just at his mouth, the older Luthor frowned. His purpose was sincere. There was no gain in continuing the family line only to produce cretins where there might be genius.
    I STILL love Lionel’s way of observing the situation here. How he perceives the Lexana union as apposed to the potential of a Chlex alliance. And it makes me laugh to think about how Lionel is thinking of ‘future Luthor heirs’ as a potential business deal and he’s measuring the possibilities to weigh which one will will yield the most profitable results.

I just think it’s the PERFECT characterization of Lionel Luthor.

"Try to look past the source of the advice and accept the wisdom behind it. I have only ever considered us business rivals. Your personal life has never needed my help to fall apart," Lionel pointed out, gesturing around the room with his drink. "At least I’m not aware of a happy marriage, unless you’ve managed it in the past day."
    And the way he skilfully combines condescension, insults and actual sounds experience and wisdom when dealing with Lex… It is EXACTLY the way I would imagine Lionel Luthor handling his son.

"I won’t have you spreading unsavory stories about Martha Kent. She is an upstanding, ethical woman who will do a lot of good as a senator."

"Done. A reputation of sour grapes toward a senatorial widow won’t help my next campaign," he agreed flatly. Striding over to the bar again, he shrugged dismissively.
    This part made me laugh too. How Lionel is actually DEFENDING the honour of a woman he seems to admire. And Lex backs off admitting that it wouldn’t be ‘prudent to be seen’ carrying a grudge for this lovely lady.

"It was a recognition of her abilities, and a difficult decision. I enjoyed her more than she knew. For a long time I couldn’t decide between fucking her and eating her."

A flinching jaw muscle betrayed Lex’s revulsion to the idea. His father’s stupid law of the jungle metaphor didn’t make it funny or absurd. He drank to distract himself.
    I was glad to see that Lex was as pleased about his father’s repulsive phrase as your reader’s were. This was the first hint in the entire fic that Lex wasn’t REALLY as indifferent and hostile towards Chloe as he pretended to be.

"I imagine you grappled with the same choice. Those months as her protector must have been bliss and torment combined."

Even less of a reaction from his son, so Lionel talked almost to himself, voice lowering to a purr.
    Eeek. I know Lionel is probably only trying to get a rise of out Lex, but I get the feeling he’s telling only the truth over here. I wonder how many kinds of breakdowns and heart-attacks Chloe would have had if she knew she has inspired such a change in Lionel’s sexual partners.

"She’s very appealing to men like us. For that year I slept with blonds almost exclusively to relieve the . . . tension. I love a woman who can give as good as she gets. Unfortunately, I had to deny myself."
    Thank HEAVENS this version of Lionel actually managed to employ some sense of discretion and self-restraint when it came to dealing with Chloe Sullivan. He might have tried to kill her, but pursuing her another way might have inflicted more damage on the girl.

I guess we know WHAT kind of damage can occur if Lionel HAD decided to go after Chloe (check out Nonky’s ‘A Lesser of Two Evils’).

But I seem to remember Nonky was thinking of another fic where Lionel was going to launch a more… subtle means of pursuing and seducing Chloe? I think the fic was supposed to be called ‘Nudge’, and I just wanted to know how that was going? Is that still going to be written, or has Nonky abandoned that very interesting idea?

"I think Chloe tastes like a fine scotch," he said idly. "Shadowed and peaty. Fleshy with strains of sweetness, and a depth that makes you feel you could hold it on your tongue for hours and find new facets."
    The glass in his son’s hand trembled as his grip increased. A few more provocations and the attentions he was trying to focus on Lana Lang would be unalterably tied to the residual fascination for Chloe Sullivan. Making the simple gesture obscene, he finished his drink and rolled it in his mouth before swallowing.

"Of course, if you’re intent on the barely legal, I’m sure Miss Lang tastes sweet - like those hard candies playing an ubiquitous role on every secretary’s desk. A lump of pure sugar with colors to fool you into believing there’s a flavor underneath. Pure sweetness isn’t the worst thing in a woman," he concluded, his tone diplomatic.
    I LOVED this comparison between the two. It was very apt, and metaphors drawn up the way only Lionel Luthor can tell it. Even if you never do ‘Nudge’, please so write some more Lionel-speak in some fic or another. You’re VERY good at it, Nonky!

Lex stood up and faced the fireplace, filled with outrage. The taunts and jabs hit harder some days, and he had a very hard day already.

"This has absolutely made up for the birds and bees talk we never had," he mocked tightly. "Thank you for your many repugnant insights."
    LOL! Lionel won the round for tonight. Of course Lex wasn’t anywhere near ready to concede defeat, but the fact that he cut the conversation short so abruptly shows who is the clear winner in this Luthor altercation.

Lionel stood easily, smirking and relaxed. He had laid the groundwork to prevent an insipid girl from ruining his son. Ridiculous to think Lex Luthor’s downfall could be an unremarkable foundling searching for a replacement daddy. Even more absurd that she was simultaneously being painted as the substitute for Lillian. The loss of the election, company projects of little commercial value and an air of unreliability were all to blame on this preoccupation with Lana Lang.
    LOL Lionel’s VERY correct observation that all of Lex’s current failures are probably due to Lex’s ridiculous obsession with Lana. ‘replacement daddy’??!! Oh MY GOD!!! ROFLOL!

And the taste in his mouth during the kiss might have been pure sweetness, but he had tasted the substantial harmonies of scotch.
    This ending was VERY interesting. It was the perfect way to show how Lex secretly WANTS Chloe, but is not actively pursuing her because he’s too much of a coward to get over his intimidation by her… Brillaint plotting, Brilliant ending, and I look forward to more along the same vein (Lionel, Lex and Chloe)… pretty please?

sheeesh! This is becoming disturbing. Every time I re-read this ficlet, my obsession with the possibility of a Nonky-fic with a love-hate Luthors/Chluthor/Chlex triangle becomes deeper and more consuming. There hasn't been any mention of 'Nudge' for a long time, and I understand that Nonky has plenty of other fics to keep her occupied with diving her attention to ANOTHER one. But I'd really, REALLY thought this showed such fantastic potential, and I would have LOVED to have seen more writing along this vein.

Any chance of taking up the Luthors vs. Sullivan possibility, Nonky? I'd really like to see what kinds of turns such a fic might take.

pretty please? At YOUR convenience of course.

Let's rub Lex's head! TheDragonLady's Avatar

This was AMAZING...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information