+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "The Heart Of The Matter" (PG-13)

NS Full Member

"The Heart Of The Matter" (PG-13)

I wrote this piece one evening, when talking to my friend, Esther. I'd like to thank her for all her support of my writing in both SV and VM. And I gave it as a birthday present to my friend, John, who loves this type of Chloe. Hope you guys enjoy it. I certainly had fun writing it and getting some major feelings out---writing is so therapudic.

Title: Birthday Fic For John - "The Heart Of The Matter"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (language)

Category: Chlex, Lex's POV, AU

Spoilers: Anything is fair game in Smallville.

Summary: Lex is in hot water---I wonder why.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, and the mention of Hotmail, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use, so don't sue me.

Archive: To BAFsFF, BtS, BT2, Electricchlex, MD, N.S. Forums, and SPP, for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: This is a birthday fic for John that came to be, one night, when talking to my friend, Esther. Thanks for being there through the birth of it, sweetie. And John---happy birthday, dude. Hope you like your present. Enjoy.

Birthday Fic For John - "The Heart Of The Matter" - by PMD

I walk into the place and see that Lana is behind the counter. She points in a direction and I turn to look, seeing Chloe, sitting there, her eyes red from tears. Okay, what happened now?

I glance over at Lana again and see she's back to her work. I want to walk over to find out what's going on but for some reason, I'm not sure I want to know. That look she gave me as she was pointing didn't seem like her usual look at me--her friendly look. Is this my fault again---damn!

So, instead, I walk over to Chloe and stop, looking at how vulnerable she is.

"Leave me alone, Luthor."

"Chloe."

She looks up, her eyes blazing. "You can't hear---leave me alone!"

"Chloe---please---"

"Please what? Please let me stay? Why? No wait---please tell me who did this to you? That I can answer---you did."

Oh God, it is me. Of course it's me---I was late again.

I gain some semblance of control and sense Lana behind me.

"Coffee, Chloe?"

"Sure, what the heck---I'll have to stay up all night trying to figure out what to do for my column tomorrow morning, since Mr. Forgetful forgot about our interview---again."

I didn't forget---I was just late, damn it!

"Lex, you are such a jerk sometimes," Lana states, her eyes blazing at the back of my head.

I turn around and glare at her---you're not helping, Lana. She just gives me a lifted eyebrow, moves around me, and fills Chloe's cup.

"It's on him," she states, before walking away.

"Don't give me any ideas, Lana."

"Chloe!" I growl out.

"Idiot!" she counters with.

"I'm---"

"No---don't say you’re sorry."

"Well---"

"Lex, I have that tazer and you know I know how to use it."

"Chloe, please let me explain."

"All right---this should be interesting. Sit and then please leave my sight until I'm over being angry at you---say, 30 or 40 years."

Well, at least she's not saying 1000 years. Count your lucky stars, Luthor. How do I get out of this? And why did I even answer Lana's call? I was heading here already---I guess I just didn't think---that's the darn problem with you, Luthor. Sometimes you just don't think.

I sigh and sit down. She glares at me over the computer and then closes it.

"Explain, jackass."

"Excuse me?"

"Oh right, Mr. Jackass."

"Well, I'm not sure if I'll explain now."

"Fine---leave."

"Chloe----you are close to the edge of no return," I growl at her.

"Cool---never been there. Maybe I'll like the weather."

"Grow up!"

"No you grow up!"

"I'm an adult."

"So am I. And I'm not old like you because I remember things."

I was fucking late---I didn't forget, damn it! And---well, if she won't listen, I'll tell her what I did for her in regards to the paper.

I let out a snort and then glare at her. She just smiles and looks away, until I pull the computer from in front of her.

"Hey, that's mine."

"I'm just borrowing it for a minute."

"Yeah, to put a virus there, I bet, you---jerk."

I ignore her rants and open up my e-mail addy. I type away and then push a button.

"You've got mail," I state.

I turn the computer around to her and she opens up her program. Then she starts reading:

From AJL@hotmail.com
    To CES@hotmail.com

I'm Sorry:

I'm sorry I was LATE for our appointment, sweetheart. I was unavoidably delayed at the store, getting something for you. I hope you like it---and I hope you forgive me.

I did call the Ledger and they gave you an extension----you have till tomorrow evening to get the column in---for the next mornings addition. So after a short celebration---hopefully in bed---we can work on the subject.

So, forgive me?

Love Lex

Her face can be as non-committal as mine. That's why we are perfect for each other. That and the fact:

"Lex?"

"Yes?"

"I forgive you and what's the present?"

That and the fact, she gets right to the heart of the matter with me and others.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome----what's the gift?"

I get up and offer my hand. She closes her computer and then puts it in her bag, before taking it.

I lead her out of the Talon, nodding to Lana as we leave. Then we're in my car and I look over at her, taking something out of my pocket. I open the small case and she gasps.

She nods, unable to get the words out. I place it on her finger and lean in for a kiss. Then I back away.

"Well, guess this is one excuse you won't be able to use for being late for me for anything, anymore," she replies, lifting her ring finger and watching the light of the street lamp, dancing off the diamond.

"Oh, I think I can think of more reasons to be late. Maybe a pair of earrings---pearls of course. And then there are necklaces and other things that my future wife might like."

"Oh honey, all I want is an interview done on time with you, and you. Nothing else matters."

"And all I want is for you to have that interview and---you," I state, leaning in to kiss her again.

As I say, Chloe and I are a perfect match for the fact we love each other and we love to get right to the heart of the matter, especially when it deals with our hearts.

The End.

NS Full Member

Re: "The Heart Of The Matter" (PG-13)

That was adorable and exactly what i needed. Especially after watching tonights epi.
    Oh and enjoyed that you put in that earrings part.

Addicted to Baby Luthors bluengreenswmer's Avatar

Aww.....so adorable!! Damn, I want me a Lexy...

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

so sweet and i am glad that lex had a good reason for being late. perfect way to end a good story.

very cute

NS Full Member

This was a very adorable story.

sweet, so sweet.

Oh yeah they go right to the heart of the matter...if chloe let's lex talk of course *g*
    Great work as always

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar

Very cute!
    *Coffee Break 9:00 to 5:00 Daily.
    *Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over.
    *Are you crazy?
    *From zero to insane in 1.5 seconds!
    *If I agree with you, then we'd both be wrong!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information