+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposition (PG-13)

Proposition (PG-13)

A/N: This is just a quickie fic I wrote to follow the 100th episode, Reckoning. Sad to see Jonathan Kent go (and not Lana Lang)? Yeah, me too. A little Chlex is just the medicine. It's a one-parter for now, but who knows....

Her eyelashes were beginning to stick insolently to her cheeks, the tears freezing them uncomfortably. She wiped at her eyes to melt them, managing only partial success. Her cousin turned to her expectantly, clearly ready to leave. Lois had some trouble with cemeteries, always had. “Go ahead,” Chloe told her. “I’m going to wait and see if there’s anything…” Chloe trailed off helplessly.

Lois hesitated briefly, because as much as she wanted to leave, she still felt horrible about loosing Jonathan Kent. In the end, Lois gave her a tiny wave and ambled over to the parking lot with the other guests.

“He works fast,” Lex noted disapprovingly, suddenly appearing beside her. Chloe didn’t jump, because she’d seen him lurking about during the ceremony. She was a little surprised that he was talking to her though; they hadn’t been getting along lately.

Chloe frowned and followed his gaze to where Lionel Luthor was attempting to burn a hole through Mrs. Kent with his stare. She’d seen him during the funeral too, gallantly offering her a shoulder to cry on. Sleeze.

“You did always learn from the best,” Chloe remarked. Lex quirked an eyebrow at that but didn’t say anything. Yes, Lana had told her about that, and after hearing Clark’s story about Lex’s high-speed chase on Route 40, Chloe found herself liking the Luthor heir less and less. Sleeze junior. He stated back at her coolly.

Suddenly, surprisingly, his gaze softened and he reached to brush a clump of snow off of her shoulder. “Chloe,” he sighed. “In another lifetime you and I could have been friends, and…happier.”

“Lex,” she felt sad even having to point it out. “We used to be friends in this lifetime. If you’re not happy now…it’s not that your friends have changed.”

He looked away quickly and she knew that she’d angered him. “You look cold,” she sighed, trying to break the ice (so to speak) –though she didn’t regret what she’d said. “And I know that I’m freezing. I don’t think they’re going to want company anyways.” Chloe nodded to Clark and Martha, now alone, all the other guests long gone (even Lana and Lionel). She started to make her way back to her car and, after a moment’s hesitation, Lex followed. He really did look cold.

“Non-fat latte please,” Chloe rummaged through her purse to find her wallet. “To go.”

“Make that two,” she rolled her eyes and looked over at Lex, who’d developed a creepy (and annoying) habit of sneaking up on her lately. “Chloe,” he greeted with a smirk.

“Senator,” she smirked back. Lex came very close to rolling his eyes at that. The girl came back with their coffee.

“On me,” he insisted, handing over a ten. Chloe was ready to protest, but…she really did love a free coffee.

“Thank-you,” she replied politely and took a sip. Time to cut the crap. “What’s going on Lex?”

He smirked again, knowing that she was smart enough to see through his pleasantries. “Maybe I’m just enjoying the pleasure of your company.”

“I’ll spill my coffee on you.”

“You’re snarkier than usual today,” he grinned, a sick part of him seemingly liking the negative attention.

“I must like you then,” she smiled sweetly.

“Are you heading back to Metropolis?” he asked, eyeing her tailored navy suit a little too closely.

“Yeah, I have to finish up an article for tomorrow’s morning edition,” she took another sip of her heavenly latte. “This is fantastic!”

“Maybe they should just hook it up to your veins,” he muttered. Chloe smirked this time.

“Seriously Lex,” she sighed impatiently. “As charming as you can be when you want to, I really do have to get going. So why don’t you just cut to the chase?”

“I’m always charming—“

“What do you want?” she just barely resisted the urge to stomp her foot. Though he seemed pleased at his ability to anger her, he didn’t say anything. Instead he grabbed her arm and tried to lead her to a nearby booth.

Chloe shook her arm free and glared, much more confidant doing so in the Talon than in the caves. “I swear to God if you man handle me again I’ll make sure that you can’t produce heirs,” she snapped and marched over to the booth. He looked shocked at her outburst and followed her slowly.

“Chloe, I didn’t mean—“

“You did too,” she cut him off with a pointed glare. “I meant it too.”

She’d never seen him look so uncomfortable before (well okay, maybe just that one time when she’d had her adventure on K-brand wacky gas), which oddly didn’t please her as much as she thought it would. “I’m sorry,” he said quietly, holding her gaze.

Chloe looked down and the plastic lid on her white cup and sighed. “It’s fine,” she said, accepting his apology. She believed him. “So, what’s up?”

He seemed to shake his shame pretty quickly. “I have a proposition for you.”

“I’m not sleeping with you,” she replied automatically.

“Um, that wasn’t what I meant—“

“And I’m not going to get Lana to sleep with you either,” Chloe made very clear.

His eyes darkened at that, not liking her insinuation. “I’ve never had to blackmail anyone into sleeping with me before, and I’m not about to start now,” he assured her. “I’m talking about an interview.”

She perked up then, though she really wished that she hadn’t. “An interview?” she repeated, much more calmly than she felt. “Didn’t you just hold a press conference yesterday?”

“Yes but my advisors are after me to do an in depth interview to get the public more acquainted with me, and more comfortable having me in office,” he admitted.

“And you want me to do it?” Chloe asked. When he nodded she couldn’t help but frown. “Lex, I don’t know if it would be ethical for me to do this.”

“How is it unethical?” he asked, though she knew that he didn’t really need it explained to him.

“I don’t know how to say this without…” she wanted to say ‘without hurting your feelings’ but didn’t think that would go over well.

“Without what?”

“Lex, I didn’t…vote for you,” she admitted. “I don’t think it’s right to write a puff-piece on a candidate I didn’t even support. I’m sorry.”

He shrugged. “I had just thought that maybe you’d like the front-page headline,” he knew where to hit her so it hurt. “Maybe help get you off of page 39.”

“Why not go to one of the features writers at the Planet?” she asked him, ignoring the slight about page 39…because it was true. “They’ll clamor for the chance to spin your story in whatever direction you want.”

“What if I don’t want a spun story, Chloe?” She almost choked on her coffee. “Hey!”

“Sorry,” she waved her hand for him to continue.

“Chloe we both know that I got my job by default,” he seemed to have to swallow his pride to say that out loud. She opened her mouth to offer some sort of condolences, but fell short. “It’s okay,” Lex assured her. “Jonathan Kent won fair and square. But don’t be mistaken, I am capable of doing his job.”

“No one ever doubted your ability to do the job Lex,” she assured him. “Well…no one that’s not related to you anyways. That’s not why you lost.”

He seemingly ignored her statement; of course ignorance is bliss. “Chloe you’re the only reporter at that paper, or any paper, that actually knew both candidates. I don’t want an article that pretends that I won—you’re the only person I trust to write an article that still honors him without making me look like the devil.”

“Son of the devil,” she sighed lightly.

“Chloe—“

“I get it Lex,” she smiled softly. “I really do. It’s just…if I write it, there would be a lot of people who would be really upset by it.”

“You mean Clark,” he concluded tersely. Chloe nodded. “Chloe don’t let Clark’s unfounded hatred of me keep you from—“

“Oh no you don’t!” she cut him off. “You do not get to play the martyr in this little telanovela! Lex you investigated him and his family, lied to him, and every time he turns around you’re making a play for his girlfriend!” She cried, drawing a couple of stares. “And you ran a nasty campaign against his father.”

“Ex-girlfriend,” he mumbled. “Fine, yes you’re right. But Clark will get over it Chloe, he always does.”

‘He’ll hate me,’ Chloe thought. ‘Unless…’ “I have two conditions Lex.”

“So you’ll do it then,” he grinned.

“I have two conditions,” she repeated.

“Fine, what?”

“Number one,” she held up a finger. “Neither you, nor your consultants, will have any say in the final article. Seriously.”

He hesitated for a split second before nodding. “And the second?”

“You don’t go after Lana Lang for an entire month,” she said seriously. “Starting now. Clark’s had a rough enough week as it is Lex, and this article’s not going to make it any better. I won’t write it if you don’t promise.”

“You really don’t have any right to ask that,” he sighed.

“Lex.”

“Fine,” he agreed in a cool voice.

“Great,” Chloe quickly extracted one of her cards from her purse. “I really should get going, but take this. Give me a call and we can discuss what time works best for you to do this interview.”

Lex took the card with a glare; Chloe knew that he liked to feel in control at all times, and that he would probably prefer for her to have to call him. She stood and gathered her things.

“Thanks for the coffee,” she patted his shoulder and gave him a quick wave. “Bye.” Then she was gone.

“Chloe Sullivan,” Chloe told the skeptical looking secretary. The woman picked up her phone and dialed.

“There’s a Chloe Sullivan here to see you. Sir,” she shot Chloe a cool look while she spoke into the receiver. Chloe smirked back at her while she hung up. “You can go in,” the woman told her reluctantly.

Chloe refrained from rolling here eyes and walked leisurely to his office. The bing noise from behind her indicated that someone had just stepped off of the elevator. Chloe paid it no mind until, “Ms. Sullivan”. She groaned audibly; definitely the wrong Luthor.

Chloe didn’t even try to smile at him, though he certainly didn’t hesitate to leer at her. Lionel was beside her quickly, though he was smart enough to not try for a handshake. “What brings you to Luthor Corp, my dear?” he asked. His gaze made her feel a little dirty.

“I have a meeting,” she replied as politely as she could. He creeped her out.

“With Lex?” Lionel smiled at the news. “Oh no, you two aren’t planning another scheme against me are you?”

“Yes,” she lied, keeping her face impassive. Lionel looked like he was trying to decide whether or not to believe her.

“You’re lying,” he smirked.

“You’d know.”

“Tell me Ms. Sullivan,” he changed tactics. “How are things at the Planet these days?”

“Revealing,” she answered, her grip tightening on the strap of her messenger bag. His eyes raked over her once again, and she stifled her shiver of disgust.

“Yes?” he smiled again. Was he flirting with her? “Well it is nice to see some new blood there,” Lionel continued. Chloe faintly heard a click behind her but paid it no mind. “A talent like yours though really shouldn’t be wasted in the basement with the other classified writers. I could probably make a few calls and see about mobbing you upstairs.”

“Gee, Mr. Luthor,” she tried not to turn and run. “Thanks for the offer, but I really am just here to see Lex.”

“Well, if you change your mind,” Lionel smirked again. He reached a hand in the general direction of her chest and she took a step back, colliding with something solid. Hands wrapped around her upper arms to steady her and she didn’t need to turn around to know he was behind her. She could smell his cologne.

Lionel took a step as well and plucked a piece of lint off of her shoulder. “You had something,” he explained, obviously pleased with his ability to scare her.

“Thanks,” Chloe gritted out, vaguely aware of Lex’s hands still on her arms, and how close behind her he was standing. She suddenly had the words ‘Luthor Sandwich’ in her head for several uncomfortable seconds.

“Well Dad,” Lex didn’t even try to hide his disapproval. “Though I’m sure Chloe enjoys being harassed by you as much as the next woman, I’m going to have to ask you to excuse us.”

“Certainly, son,” Lionel smiled greasily, making it sound more like a slight than a term of endearment.

Chloe didn’t protest this time as Lex steered her away, into his office. She could recognize the lesser of two evils when she saw it. At least, she though so.

Fin...

Re: Proposition -- PG-13 (to be safe)

That was an amazing beginning. I really enjoyed Chloe and Lionel's conversation. Please update soon.

Quote Originally Posted by spiked
    “Thanks,” Chloe gritted out, vaguely aware of Lex’s hands still on her arms, and how close behind her he was standing. She suddenly had the words ‘Luthor Sandwich’ in her head for several uncomfortable seconds.

“Well Dad,” Lex didn’t even try to hide his disapproval. “Though I’m sure Chloe enjoys being harassed by you as much as the next woman, I’m going to have to ask you to excuse us.”
    I loved this part
    I like how you have written both Chloe and Lex in this story. You have their snark down perfectly. I can't wait to see what happens next, especially Clarks and Lanas reactions to Chloes article. More please.

I really like this beginning Are you planning on continuing it? I like how you've depicted the tense situation btwn Chloe and Lex, but how they're becoming ever so slightly closer. Hope you update soon!

Smile Re: Proposition -- PG-13 (to be safe)

Well that's certainly a very interesting start, are you planning to continue? The snarks are great, can't wait to see more!!

That was an interesting start, I hope there's going to be more soon

very nice begining. i'd like to see where it'll go

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Very cool beginning--more please!
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

I didn't care for the Lexana implication I still liked the beginning of this story. Lex is to good to go after that girl pretending to be a woman pretending to be a girl. More please

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

This is something you have to update!!!! Honestly, it's far too good to be left like that
    and that means-UPDATE

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information