+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: All Bets Are Off (NC-17)

Imperial Dragon Senior Member Impress's Avatar
    Originally posted by sabby@Jun 10 2003, 04:18 AM
    Patience? What is patience? I dunno patience and I don't care! I want more now! And what is it about these stupid nurses never letting you finish your sentences before they drug you up!

Poor Chloe, poor Lex, man that is gonna give problems when Lex gets back home. DAMMIT you and your twists! Not fair!

I want and Update and I want it now!

hugs,
    Sabby
    What sabby said.

Angel undercover!
    So, all Lex has to do now is get better, get out of the hospital and get back to Chloe. *nods* And I want an update!

Fic Tease Senior Member Blaire023's Avatar
    It's about damn time someone besides me around here started writing some angst into a fic. However, you may have just pushed my angst muse down a flight of stairs, so thank you.

And he called her his girlfriend. Awww.

B

That nurse needs to lose her job >_<

Poor Lex. First he needs to have that nurse fired and then he should rush and just turn up wherever Chloe is and run into her arms with a cheesy music accompanyment ^_^

Love lifts us up where we belong&#33; Where eeeeeagles fly, on a mountain high&#33;

etc... hehe

Patience is a virtue gifted to someone who isn&#39;t me....

this is a great story...I can&#39;t wait for more...just promise you won&#39;t hurt Lex anymore.... :unsure:

Hoping for more soon,
    Lily M. :sunny:

Sugar&amp;Spice of the gutter Senior Member Queen Of Tact's Avatar
    AHHHHHHH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; How could you just stop&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Three days.... Three friken days..... Why hasn&#39;t anyone looked for him yet... I mean I know Lex can take care of himself, but come on......... I&#39;m so going to kill that nurse..... Chloe must feel like crap..... I need more.... You have to get back here and post more.... Please Please.... I don&#39;t know how long I can last without an update *slowly dieing* Must have update to live.....

CC
    "I am scared that I'm always going to be somebody's friend or sister or confidant, but never quite somebody's everything."

demoness
    Poor Chloe she&#39;s going to feel like shit when she finds out he was hurt and she was blaming him for leaving her&#33; Update more soon please I have no patience&#33;

Tandy

hurlingturtles
    Just a Guest!
    *lol, cheesy music accompanyment, now that would be funny&#33; I wish I could hook that up&#33; Oh, this is a long one cuz it&#39;s the last. I thought about breaking it up, but I decided to give you guys a break :biggrin: *

-Chapter Thirteen-

“I hate to say it Chloe,” Pete began the following day at school.

“Then don’t,” she snapped, hearing an I-told-you-so a million miles away.

“He is a Luthor, after all,” he continued. “And you know how trustworthy they are.”

“Pete, shut up,” she said, tightening her grip on the mouse as she struggled to concentrate on working on the Torch.

“I’m just saying.”

“Well, just don’t say it.” Her chest still ached whenever she thought of how she’d been abandoned and cast aside once Lex had had her.

Pete paused thoughtfully. “You don’t still like him, do you?”

“No&#33;” she denied quickly. “He left me alone in LA.” However, some pathetic part of her knew that she would change her mind if he begged for her forgiveness.

School seemed to plod on forever that day. She tried to ignore the longing that welled up in her to go to Lex’s house after school. The next time they met, she vowed, it would because Lex couldn’t go on without her- not the other way around. So, she went home and did anything but think about him. She tried to work on her homework at the dining room table that evening but lost all focus when the Jeopardy theme jingled from the living room.

“Chloe&#33;” her dad called. “It’s Lex Luthor&#33;”

She stood up and ran into the living room. Sure enough, there he was standing behind his podium looking worldly and sexier than any man had the right to be.

God, she missed him already. She’d never expected him to have been able to break her heart. She’d been falling in love with him, she realized, she already was in love with him. That explained why the thought of losing him had been unbearable, not because she’d miss him as a friend- but because she loved him.

She turned out of the living room and flew up the stairs into her room. “Goddammit&#33; You idiot&#33;” she swore at herself. “You’re in love with an emotionally constipated man who wouldn’t know love if it bit him in the ass&#33;” That sucked, needless to say.

She threw herself on her bed and decided to go to sleep. It was only seven, but the oblivion of sleep had to be better than dealing with the drama of unrequited love. So, she tried to fall asleep but flashes of memory from the other night kept her awake and aroused late into the night.

“Thank you, father,” Lex said reluctantly. “For once, I’m glad that you horned in on my business.” A nurse was pushing him in a wheelchair through the front door of the mansion.

Lionel shrugged. “After all the grooming I put you through to fill my shoes once I’m gone, I couldn’t let you die in a public hospital”

“I wasn’t exactly dying,” Lex said wryly. “But I do appreciate you bringing me home.”

As soon as he’d found out that the hotel had kicked Chloe out of the room, and Lex had threatened to close it down forever, his father had burst into his hospital room unannounced. He whisked him out of there, introducing him to Lex’s private nurse. She was a rather buxom young blond lady with an inane giggle. Lex barely glanced at her which annoyed Lionel, who had carefully picked out this particular woman as his son’s nurse. He had sighed heavily, finally admitting to himself that his son was in love with the Sullivan girl.

Lex called Chloe’s cell phone one last time before he left the hospital, still getting no answer. He considered leaving a voicemail, but then remembered her saying something about how she never checked it anyway. Then he called her house. Her dad answered, coldly telling him that she was at school and that he wanted Lex to stay away from his daughter. He hung up on Lex before he got a chance to explain himself.

By the time that Lex got back to the mansion all his energy had vanished and his annoying nurse insisted he go to bed. He hated her even more when she tried help him get into bed. Lex refused to have her help change him into pajamas and decided to fire her tomorrow. He lay Chloe’s engagement ring and mangled quill in his bedside table before falling asleep for the night.

He finally got a hold of her the next day. “Chloe&#33;” he said in relief as she answered.

“Lex,” she said coolly. “What do you want?”

“I need to give you something,” he blurted out.

“Gee, thanks, a parting gift? You shouldn’t have,” she said bitingly. “The thing is, you’re supposed to give those away before you leave not after.”

“I heard about the hotel. I’m sorry I wasn’t there.” More than she realized. “But I had no choice- Look, why don’t you come over here. I don’t want to talk to you over the phone.”

“I don’t know,” she said doubtfully.

“Look, if you still don’t forgive me after I explain what happened you never have to come to me house again,” he said, holding his breathe as she seemed to be thinking about it.

“Fine.”

He slumped in his bed in relief. “Great. Come over today?”

“I’ll be there in ten minutes,” she agreed. “Bye.” She hung up.

Lex pulled himself up from his bed and into his wheel chair, rolling over to his closet. He threw some nice clothes on, the effort making him tremble as pain shot up his back. Getting dressed took much more time than he’d bargained on. He glanced in a mirror, grimacing at the dark circles under his eyes and the chalk-white pallor of his skin. The woman who was currently making his heart race in painful anticipation was coming any second now and he looked like a skeleton.

He hesitated. Should he greet her in his bed or in his wheelchair? He decided on the bed, the wheelchair reminding him too much of a Lifetime movie- not that he’d ever actually watched one. He heaved himself up out of the chair and fell on the bed, panting at the exertion. Furious at his weakness, he gave the chair a vicious kick- sending it rolling across his room.

“Lex, I was told you were here.”

He looked up. It was Chloe. He closed his eyes for a moment, her image seared on the back of his eyelids. She looked stunning. Then he opened his eyes again and carefully propped himself up on his pillows, mindful not to rip any of his stitches.

“What are you doing?” she asked, noticing that he hadn’t stood when she entered the room. That was odd. She stepped into his room, feeling a bit like she was entering forbidden territory. That was when she noticed the wheelchair. “What do you have a wheelchair for?”

“The doctor said I should do as little movement as possible for a week or so while I heal. Turns out back muscle move when you do practically anything.”

She just blinked at him. “Heal?” she echoed.

“Yeah. The morning after we-“

“Had sex,” Chloe said bluntly.

“Made love,” Lex corrected. “I went out to get you somethings and then I got mugged.”

Chloe gaped at him. “You’re joking&#33;” That was when she noticed how wretched he looked.

“No. They took almost everything of mine, but I managed to save what I’d gotten you.” He reached for his bedside table, freezing as he closed his eyes.

“Lex, what’s wrong?” she asked in alarm, rushing to his side.

“My back,” he groaned.

Chloe slid up his shirt to look at his back. A long row of ugly, dark blue stitches trailed down along side his spine. “Oh my God&#33;” A wave of nausea chocked her.

“I was stabbed,” he explained grimly. He reached for the drawer again, ignoring his pain and Chloe’s protest. He dug out her gifts.

“They wanted to take these, but I managed to save them before I got stabbed.” He showed her the ring and quill, his stomach turning nervously.

Chloe stared at his offerings in astonishment. The diamond of the ring looked almost pink with blood splattered across it. She recognized the quill as the one she’d loved at the store he taken her to. It was mangled and filthy with blood and dried mud. Her heart twisted in a knot.

“They stabbed you because you wouldn’t give them these, didn’t they?” she asked point blank, knowing the answer.

Lex’s eyes fell and she knew he was lying when he said no.

He suddenly felt like his gifts weren’t good enough for her and he bitterly regretted showing her them. “The quill was supposed to be a symbol of how much I love you and the ring, well I was going to ask you to marry me, and it was supposed to symbolize the extent of my commitment to you.” The words were pulled out of his throat, kept coming no matter how much he wanted to take them back. “Not very good symbols, are they?” He smiled weakly. How could he expect her to believe that he still felt the way he did with them ruined? “I can get you new ones,” he offered.

Chloe picked them up carefully from his hands. “I don’t want new ones,” she told him.

He looked away, struggling to suppress tears that burned behind his eyes. “Oh,” he said blankly. “I won’t bother you anymore, then.” He wanted to seize her in his arms and seduce her into loving him at the same time he wanted her to leave so he could nurse his shattered heart in private. Conflicted, he just sat there.

“No, you don’t understand. I want to keep these,” she said, her voice reverently hushed.

A burst of hope warmed his heart back to life. “What? Why?”

He noticed that her eyes were shimmering with tears. “You nearly died to give me them.”

“So, are you saying…” he trailed off.

“Yes, I’ll marry you.”

Lex beamed at her, his face lighting up in joy. Seeing how ecstatic he was, she wondered how she’d never noticed that he was in love with her. He pulled her to him to give her a passionate kiss. Chloe enjoyed the kiss for a moment before pulling away from him.

“Careful, you’ll tear your stitches,” she told him.

“God, I love you so much, for so long I barely remember what it was like before I’d known you,” he groaned, sweeping his hands up and down her body- his touch lingering as if he’d missed the feel of her curves.

“I love you, too, Lex.” She rested her head lightly on his chest.

“At long last,” he grumbled good-naturedly. “You know I was going crazy for a while, caught between trying not to love you and making you love me.”

“How sweet.”

“It was not sweet, it was terrible.”

“So, are you saying you’re not nuts anymore?” she teased, her hands drifting below his waist.

“I think it’s time for Jeopardy,” Lex announced.

Chloe glanced at his clock. “No, it isn’t.”

“Not Alex Trebec’s Jeopardy, *our* Jeopardy,” he said giving her hips a suggestively squeeze.

“Stitches,” she reminded him.

“We can still play without my moving much,” he insisted, slipping his hand underneath her shirt, and somehow Chloe knew that once her clothes were off they’d be doing much more than playing Jeopardy.

The End

Elviriel
    Just a Guest!
    oh this is so good &#33; I loved it &#33;

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    You finished&#33; And aww - sweet sappy ending. Loved this fic&#33;

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information