Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumping/Double Posting Policy (rev. 19th jan)

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Bumping/Double Posting Policy (rev. 19th jan)

Bumping; When posting just to bring attention to the thread, or to get it at the top again.

Bumping JUST to get it on top is not allowed.

This goes for ALL users!

When posting
    ; Let at least 5 days pass from your first post (f.ex asking for an update) before you post another one. * This does not apply if the author has actually updated within these days. Then your allowed to post of course. If you want to add more comments, find your first post after the update, and edit the post.

When posting on other threads; If you post a post, and remember you can add something else as well, EDIT the post you first made, don't just post a new post! This goes as double posting and is not allowed either!
    EDIT your original post!

Authors: You may of course update your stories before five days has passed. Just don't post replies to feedback in each their own post. Make one post for the feedback and address everyone at once.

This applies to the authors as well. Everyone on the board will have to follow this. When a author wants to post replies to the feedback, of course she/he may do that, but it can go into one post. You can use the quote function, or just state their name and in bold. Note though, should one post get extremely long, because of long feedback etc, it's okay to break it into two posts. But, like, when quoting, it's not necessary to quote the ENTIRE thing, just a small paragraph of it, to address it, you know?

To summarize, does this bumping policy prevent readers from engaging in legitimate discussion and debate on a story thread (and I mean new replies with real content)? Can that still happen, even if it means a reader might add an additional post on the same update, responding to something someone else said?

I would say that's allowed. A user doesn't mean to then bump the story, it's just honest feedback to what someone else has said. BUT! Say a user reads the update and the feedback and have something to say to both (the update & feedback). Then the user should address it in ONE post. Perhaps the fiction update first, and then just mark the end of that with ---- 's or something, then start the comments on the feedback...

In the beginning users not following this policy will get a PM or some sort of small warning. If a user keeps doing this, she/he will get warned. I've recently implemented a new warning system, very much alike the one we used to have at the old board. And if the user violates too many rules, she/he might get banned for a certain period.

Topics such as 'X' Name Game, NS Community General Chat, and alike are of course not under this rule...

This of course only applies AFTER I've posted the policy itself, not for posts made BEFORE Jan 14th 06

----------------------------
    Admins/Mods reserve the right to bump up any thread (we have a tool for this, so we won't be making any posts).

Thread may be updated, so be sure to check it once in a while
    Last edited by Julie; 19th September 2006 at 21:34.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Re: Bumping Policy

I think this is a good policy - does it apply to writers too? I assume it's obviously fine to update a fic before the five days are up, and I know sometimes a writer might need to respond to feedback if, for example, a question is being asked, but sometimes I've noticed authors consistently posting responses to almost every piece of feedback for their fics; I don't think that's very fair to other writers because it means their fics drop down the list very quickly.

ETA: I don't think the writer(s) in question are neccesarily doing it deliberately, but it kind of skews the whole process, because fics that might otherwise have been read and reviewed had they stayed at the top for a reasonable length of time are too far down the list to be noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise
    I think this is a good policy - does it apply to writers too? I assume it's obviously fine to update a fic before the five days are up, and I know sometimes a writer might need to respond to feedback if, for example, a question is being asked, but sometimes I've noticed authors consistently posting responses to almost every piece of feedback for their fics; I don't think that's very fair to other writers because it means their fics drop down the list very quickly.

ETA: I don't think the writer(s) in question are neccesarily doing it deliberately, but it kind of skews the whole process, because fics that might otherwise have been read and reviewed had they stayed at the top for a reasonable length of time are too far down the list to be noticed.
    Amen!

I agree with the new policy and especially with Louise's comments here.

I was wondering if admins/mods would be notifying authors of this by PM or on their threads if they see it happening regularly? If, for instance, they don't see this thread and aren't aware of the new policy?

Thanks,

Reese

Fic Tease Senior Member Blaire023's Avatar

I am aware of the new policy and I'm sorry if I offended any other writers out there.

I'll start pming people to answer their questions.

Sorry, again.

Sorry for not addressing this sooner!

Louise, it of course applies to the authors as well. Everyone on the board will have to follow this. When a author wants to post replies to the feedback, of course she/he may do that, but it can go into one post. You can use the quote function, or just state their name and in bold. Note though, should one post get extremely long, because of long feedback etc, it's okay to break it into two posts. But, like, when quoting, it's not necessary to quote the ENTIRE thing, just a small paragraph of it, to address it, you know? And I don't mean you in the sense of youyou, I'm saying this to everyone!

Reese, in the beginning users not following this policy will get a PM or some sort of small warning. If a user keeps doing this, she/he will get warned. I've recently implemented a new warning system, very much alike the one we used to have at the old board. And if the user violates too many rules, she/he might get banned for a certain period.

This of course only applies AFTER I've posted the policy itself, not for posts made BEFORE Jan 14th 06

Blaire, I don't think the above posts were aimed at you. As I said, you may of course answer questions/feedback in the actual thread, just try to put it all in one post

Should there be any other questions, comments, complaints, whatnot, just hit the reply button
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

Wannabe Lover of Da 'Baum Donutte's Avatar

Just a thought for authors - I often try to answer questions in an author's note in updates. Unless it's been forever since I've updated. But if it's been a reasonable amount of time between updates, I just do that. Kill two birds with one stone. Ok, maybe I'm just lazy

I like this policy. I used to respond to every post in my first story (after looking back on it). I try not to do that anymore, but newer authors tend to be very enthusiastic and excited when they get feedback, and feel the need to say something right then. So, perhaps posting this thread in the fanfic forum as well? Just a thought. You may have already, but I've yet to be there.

And, I'm very guilty of posting early in the morning or late at night upon seeing an update, then making ANOTHER post when I actually read it (usually later the same or next day). I'll just edit my original posts from now on.

Just my two cents

Do'

Donutte, I'm going to send every registered user an e-mail asking them to read this thread and keep an eye on it. And I'll probably also make it into a global announcement

Fic Tease Senior Member Blaire023's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donutte
    I try not to do that anymore, but newer authors tend to be very enthusiastic and excited when they get feedback, and feel the need to say something right then.

This is what I was doing. I sometimes leave huge gaps of a few weeks/months/sometimes years between my updates so if someone actually has a question pertaining to a certain part of the story I like replying to them then. It's a two way street. Readers post to let the author know they're reading. Author's reply to let the readers know they appreciate it and aren't too busy to take time out of their schedules to answer them.

Wannabe Lover of Da 'Baum Donutte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blaire023
    This is what I was doing. I sometimes leave huge gaps of a few weeks/months/sometimes years between my updates so if someone actually has a question pertaining to a certain part of the story I like replying to them then. It's a two way street. Readers post to let the author know they're reading. Author's reply to let the readers know they appreciate it and aren't too busy to take time out of their schedules to answer them.
    Oh, nothing wrong with that. I was more referring to people that have just posted a new story, and after the first reply that same day feel the need to respond, etc. I was so guilty of doing that for a long time. Something a friend said actually (not to me, but just in general) made me very aware of that fact. If that makes sense

I'm not saying one can't post feedback and the chapter at the same time, but one can post the chapter in a post, then all the feedback in another. Perhaps before one posts the next chapter.

Closed Thread

Thread Information