Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bumping/Double Posting Policy (rev. 19th jan)

Yes, I am that Fabulous Senior Member tigerbaby's Avatar

Re: Bumping Policy

I think what Julie is trying to say that posting for the sake of posting isn't a good idea. In some instances of 'bumping' people were shamelessly promoting their own fics to draw attention to it in hopes of garnering a wider readership. There is nothing wrong with posting a request for an update but posting every other day and playing virtual card games is not a good idea.

I have come across a number of fics where a reader has two consecutive posts, pretty much immediately after each other from a time stamp perspective when if they forgot a comment, all they have to do is edit the original post.

Plus there are a couple of authors guilty of responding to every piece of FB received when that can be addressed in a PM to that person direct. If the comment is meant for the intended audience at large, i.e. if a reader asked a question and it would benefit everyone reading to hear the response, then yes do post it, but a 'thanks, glad you liked it' can be addressed in a PM.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by tigerbaby; 18th January 2006 at 00:20.

Demented Detective Senior Member newbatgirl's Avatar

Re: Bumping Policy

It seems like this rule is intended to prevent updates and stories from being "lost" in the thread shuffle. That's cool. But I also want to point out that one of the best ways for an author to prevent their fics from being lost is to indicate in the thread title the last update date and a chapter number (if available).

Most authors do this already but not all. I think it makes things so much easier. That way, people know from a quick glance whether a thread is on top because of an update or more FB. As long as the mods are cool with authors constantly updating their thread titles, I think this is good way to go.

That way, no matter how you search the board, you can see what's what. Personally, I use the "New Post" shortcut on the title bar when I come back to NS each time so sometimes I don't see how the thread order has changed in the various forums.

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Re: Bumping/Double Posting Policy (upd. 18th jan)

I just thought of a question about this policy, regarding what it is applied to.

I understand that we're not to bump up a story simply to beg for an update, to add a new piece of feedback for the author (we can edit our initial posts in those cases), or to thank readers for feedback.

But what about when readers of stories want to respond to something someone else has said in feedback? This has happened in the past on some of my threads and I'm sure on the threads of other writers as well. Some readers like to read other replies and then agree and/or disagree with them--adding new insights and occasionally starting a discussion. I've always found that this is one of the most rewarding parts of being in a reading/writing community like this--we get to discuss what we're doing, not just do it in a vaccuum. And I'd hate to see it inadvertently discouraged because readers were afraid to bump up the thread again too soon. Now, I don't mean just adding a new piece of feedback with thoughts aimed particularly at the writer. Writers, I believe, usually reread their feedback more than once and so they can notice when someone has edited their old post to add something more. But I mean thoughts, debates, or ideas intended for the wider audience. I'd be surprised if most readers go back and reread earlier feedback, so simply editing one's post to respond to something someone posted after you wouldn't really work. There would be no potential for discussion and debate with that method.

To summarize, does this bumping policy prevent readers from engaging in legitimate discussion and debate on a story thread (and I mean new replies with real content)? Can that still happen, even if it means a reader might add an additional post on the same update, responding to something someone else said?

I really hope that's still acceptable.

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar

Zannie, I would say that's allowed. A user doesn't mean to then bump the story, it's just honest feedback to what someone else has said. BUT! Say a user reads the update and the feedback and have something to say to both (the update & feedback). Then the user should address it in ONE post. Perhaps the fiction update first, and then just mark the end of that with ---- 's or something, then start the comments on the feedback... Make sense? Haven't had my coffee yet!
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Julie
    Zannie, I would say that's allowed. A user doesn't mean to then bump the story, it's just honest feedback to what someone else has said. BUT! Say a user reads the update and the feedback and have something to say to both (the update & feedback). Then the user should address it in ONE post. Perhaps the fiction update first, and then just mark the end of that with ---- 's or something, then start the comments on the feedback... Make sense? Haven't had my coffee yet!
    Yep, that makes sense, and I think it sounds great. Thanks very much.

Fic Tease Senior Member Blaire023's Avatar

Re: Bumping/Double Posting Policy (rev. 19th jan)

ahhhh, ok, now i get it. and here i've been not leaving fb and q's for the past week in fear of violating any rules.

dammit.

but now i comprehend. so it's not just posting, but posting with the intention of bumping. gah, it's confusing.

no thanks to zannie and her rambling post of big words that hurt my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaire023
    ahhhh, ok, now i get it. and here i've been not leaving fb and q's for the past week in fear of violating any rules.

dammit.

but now i comprehend. so it's not just posting, but posting with the intention of bumping. gah, it's confusing.

no thanks to zannie and her rambling post of big words that hurt my brain.
    But also, if you were to post two posts right after each other, that's the same as bumping though
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

NS Full Member

Just to make sure I'm clear in the future, if the person is posting updates every other day, it's okay to reply every other day, but if you're behind, you basically have to catch up all in one post, edited as you go?

It is okay to post if there's an update that often yes. If you're behind, yes, catch up then post your comments. If you have notepad or something similar, you can type up your comments there f.ex...

oooops, I think that I've done the whole 'post twice because I forgot to add' thing, since I've done that I've learned that you can edit your post, so I've been doing that for the most part when I want to post to the same thread again.

Closed Thread

Thread Information