+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Want it That Way (Angst; G)

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar

I Want it That Way (Angst; G)

A/N: Answer to Louise's challenge:

Quote Originally Posted by Louise
    Think of the corniest, most nauseating love song you have ever had the misfortune to hear (might I suggest something sung by a boy band...?) and write a fic that must include at least four lines from the song, including the cheesy title, in the dialogue. Either Lex or Chloe can say them, but it must be to each other, and not because they are just being silly quoting a song at one another - that's cheating. Don't care how long the fic, or what rating, or what genre, but the cheesier the song and the more believable the fic, the more impressed I will be!
    Using "I Want it That Way" by the Backstreet Boys... I hope that qualifies!

Rated: G

No real spoilers.. well... just maybe Season 3... but that's it...

This was more something to get my mind off of my Latin homework which I should get to after I finish posting this.

All lines from the actual song will be italicised.

Disclaimer: Don't own any of the Smallville stuff... for entertainment purposes only.

I Want it That Way

She was wringing her hands nervously as she waited in his study. It was difficult to maintain a strong sense of self when in such a vulnerable situation... and to be strong in the face of Lex Luthor – well, it was almost impossible. His presence had a way of making one's knees go weak; make one want to flee.

But Chloe would never allow herself to do anything but stand her ground. She was fed up and she needed to speak her mind. Too many times she was overlooked. Now, she would not allow such a thing to happen. It had been two years overdue.

She could feel her insides tremble. She could only imagine how much worse she'd feel when she was face to face with him. She checked her watch on her shaky arm. She'd been waiting for at least five minutes, though it felt like a lifetime. Damn him for wishing to make her anticipate, make her more of a wreck by delaying their meeting.

Her body shuddered some more. The seconds ticked by agonisingly slowly. She was at the point of breaking her resolve when the doors swung open revealing the aloof figure of Lex. Clad in crisp trousers and his favoured lavender collared shirt, he looked even more untouchable than her imagination could have ever made him.

She'd forgotten to breath until she realised she was seeing specks of white in her line of vision. exhaling and taking in a deep breath she closed her eyes, focusing on her purpose, forgetting he was powerful, wealthy or a Luthor.

"Miss Sullivan," he greeted distantly as he strolled over to where she sat.

Eyes snapping open, she threw him a pointed glance then looked away. "Since when have you stopped calling me by my first name?" she asked bitingly.

"We're hardly in a position that would prompt me to address you otherwise," he replied off-handedly. "Now what was it –"

Chloe jumped up, an incredulous look on her face. "And how did that happen?" she interjected. "More importantly, why did it happen?"

"We were never anything but acquaintances to one another. Granted we used each other at a certain point to get what we wanted, but the fact still remains that you and I were hardly anything more."

"Don't try and erase the past, Lex. You know full well that we were certainly intimate."

"I apologise if you got that impression, but –"

"Liar!" she shouted, hands clenched tightly at her sides. Anger swelled in her bosom; fears and inhibitions forgotten. "You feel more. I know you do! Don't you dare write it off as nothing by saying it was just some ploy to get into my pants."

When he said nothing, she continued with vehemence. "Tell me why... and don't you dare say," she went on with a dark chuckle, "that it ain't nothing but a mistake because I refuse to believe that." She paused to breathe in deeply before going on "You were being honest for once that summer two years ago––"

"You're being simple-minded," he growled, pressing his fingers into his temples as if to stave off a headache. "We're two worlds apart."

"Relationships weren't meant to be all fun and games, Lex. You of all people should know that the things that are most important to you are worth fighting for. And that's exactly what I'm doing here. Now if you would just drop your fears and just understand..."

He shot her a cold look, sending a stabbing sensation through her chest. She could feel the tears welling in her eyes. "I can't win, can I? I can't reach to your heart." She breathed in hopes of stopping herself from crying. "I came here to show you I was willing to stop denying... to stop deluding myself... because I know... you're what I want... you're my one desire."

"Well, desire me all you want, but I can't say I feel the same way," he said in a deadpanned voice. "We had a nice fling, but that's all it was. To believe any more of it was your own fault and I apologise if I hadn't made it clear in the past. But that's the way it is."

Chloe's chin trembled; the tears unchecked and flowing freely now. "Very well. I guess honesty with you isn't enough... I guess this unconditional love that I have for you isn't what you want. If you don't want me that way... then I'll leave you be. You won't be hearing from me again."

"Yes, I want it that way." Lex said it simply. So simply. In her heart of hearts she heard herself chanting, I never want to hear you say 'I want it that way.' But this was reality. She had to face it.

Holding in the sobs she gave a stiff nod and walked out. She was able to make it to her car without collapsing. Once inside she release her sadness.

~~ o0o ~~

Lex stumbled to the bar and poured himself a full glass of scotch and drank heavily. In his head, he'd said something different; something that would have allowed a happy ending, perhaps. He imagined himself mirroring her words, reciprocating by saying that she in return was his one fire that burned bright and fierce and pure.

But circumstance was against them; all the powers were against them. She would be happier this way. She didn't understand the potential darkness in his soul... no matter what she believed, she didn't know. So he kept the words he wanted so badly to say; kept them tucked away in his imagination and lived with his choice.

"Yes," he admitted to himself in a mutter. "I know it's too late... I'm sorry, Chloe..."

[fin]

was that okay? o_O

Re: I Want it That Way (Angst; G)

Well Lex has always shown signs of stupidity. It could have been so beautiful.
    And this was a really beautiful story.

Okay? *claps* That was brilliant! Who'd have thought the Backstreet Boys could be so entertaining?! I so didn't think anyone could get an angsty fic out of my challenge, let alone such a good one, I think you deserve bonus Chlex points just for the genre!

That was really good, the lyrics completely fit the story (or the story fit the lyrics, I'm not sure which way around it is!) and I totally believed the dialogue, which you managed to weave into Chloe's thoughts really nicely. Were it not for the italics, I don't think I'd have even noticed where the lyrics were!

I am loving issuing challenges, you get such fantastic fics out of them!

that was great!
    <3 yams.

Oh no, the Backstreet Boys...I can't say I ever really enjoyed them but great job! Sad because Chloe and Lex went their separate ways (and because Lex is an idiot ) but it was very honest. I enjoyed it alot.

Steph*

NS Junior Member

Brilliant story. I think you included the klines of the song really well, and it didn't seem forced in the dialogue. Good job!

can say that I'm mighty impressed, making those idiotic lyrics a good fic is just by itself one hell of an achievement lol good job!

Impressive use of BB lyrics to get a Chlex story told

Now what about a sequel using another cheesy song as inspiration? You could make this a whole BB series! LOL

Reese

Thumbs up Re: I Want it That Way (Angst; G)

Love how you used those lyrics, brilliant! Very believable, it certainly looked like something Lex is capable of doing, I feel sooo sorry for Chloe (I think everyone knows what´s like to expose your feelings and get hurt afterwards).Anyway, very enjoyable

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar

Lol thanks for the reviews you guys. It was really interesting writing the whole thing with the lyrics in mind... fun~

Reese, we'll see if a song bops me on the head that can follow up this one...

Thanks again you guys~ glad to know it was entertaining despite the angsty nature of the fic~

BB

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information