+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Things He Did (G)

NS Full Member

The Things He Did (G)

A/N. I'm not even entirely sure what this is, so interpret at will.

The Things He Did

He was sitting on her bed watching TV when she came out of the shower and shakily said that she had to book an appointment with the doctor.

He sat on her sofa the afternoon the results came back, and never once spoke to her like a victim.

He drove her to the hospital the day of the surgery and held her hand as the anesthetic consumed her. Waiting so she wouldn’t be alone when she woke.

He convinced her to move into his apartment after the chemo started, just as a temporary measure. She agreed because she didn’t feel like visitors.

He held her at night and she relaxed in his arms.

He never said a word as she sobbed silently into his chest.

He smiled when she laughed about them both being bald, lovingly tracing the face he cherished.

He furiously protected her privacy as he ran for office, refusing to allow her to be a publicity stunt or a sympathy vote. He had a cabinet filled with the photos he purchased from various magazines before they got a chance to print, a folder in his office drawer containing a few of his favorites.

He slept for days when she finally left him, feeling relief from the tension in his chest. He had nothing left to hold him back now.

He stepped on to the podium, just as he did every year since she passed and took a shuddering breath before clearing his throat at one of his few public appearances.

“Someone very dear to my heart fought a long and courageous battle with this disease. A disease that can, and will, be beaten. I’d like to thank you all for showing your support for such a worthy cause.”

He stepped down with a curt nod and felt like a fraud, making his way directly to the waiting limo in a rush. Slumping into the backseat, loosening his tie to will away the lump in his throat. Just as he always did.

He went home to an empty apartment and knew it was always going to end like this.

He looked out over the city that he had shared with her, and swallowed the bitter taste that rose in his mouth. He knew what he had done and what he would do.

He thinks he loved her once, but none of that matters anymore. He hates her for what she did to him, for not being strong enough, for leaving him alone.

And knows she would never forgive him, not for the things he did.

Re: The Things He Did (G)

Even through it was a short story it was full of emotion and powerfull. I liked it very much. I feel for Lex because it's difficult not to feel angry and betrayed when the one you loved leaves you, even if it is because of a sickness. I guess he felt that without Chloe there was nothing to hold him back, no one to be good for. But I still believe that she would forgive him, becuase she loved him. The question is would he be able to forgive himself?

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

My GOD, but I actually have goosebumps from this story!

This was very powerfully written, and the emotions you conveyed were all very subtle.

Excellent work!
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Good stuff! I always enjoy a fic that can pack an emotional punch in such few words. And you most certainly did!

That and the fic doesn't seem too short...it seems to take just the right amount of time to cover the events before giving you a resolution...one, of course, that is left open for interpretation and also leaves it feeling slightly *un*resolved. And somehow it all works.

Reese

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

that was a great story and i agree with everything that Krysia said who is complty right about lex and chloe.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Wow. Just... wow. That was really well done. Powerful yet subtle, you capture all of Lex's major moods, emotions, regrets and motivations in less than few pages. Brevity truly is the sister of talent. Great work.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

That was so sad.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

What have you done? That was so amazing. As Kit said... the power is in the subtlety. Very strong themes, and for that to just happen without you even being sure of what the story is - well, I sure do envy you.

Insane Troll logic girl lexchloe's Avatar

so sad but wonderfully done.
    I tried to drown my sorrows, but the little buggers learned how to swim.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

really good work

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information