+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Luck Of The Irish Bartender (PG-13) - Complete

NS Full Member

The Luck Of The Irish Bartender (PG-13) - Complete

Okay, here's number 14 in a long list how how Chloe and Lex could meet. Oh, and this is a shout out to my shout box buddies---and nonky----you'll notice the suggestive names for drinks in this piece and trust me---they're all true. Enjoy.

Title: How We Never Met Series - Part 14 - "The Luck of the Irish Bartender"

Author: PMD

e-mail: mary.davidson@sympatico.ca

Rating: PG-13 (slight language)

Category: Friendship, Chlex, Clana, St. Patricks Day Fic, Chloe's POV, AU

Spoilers: None that I can think of.

Summary: Lex meets a girl who has the luck of the Irish.

Disclaimer: To whomever owns Smallville, its characters, any sayings found within (including the one from 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a (NIV)) about Love, the movie, Finian’s Rainbow, the characters from Buffy, the Devil, Trigger the horse, superglue, and all drink names, I'm just borrowing them, will give them back, not making any money with their use, so don't sue me.

Archive: To BAFsFF, BT2, Electricchlex, N.S. Forums, and SPP, for the time being. If anybody else wants it, all they have to do is ask.

Author Notes: Thanks to Jay for coming up with the title. And for him having a sneak a peek at it, as well as David and a few others. Enjoy.

How We Never Met Series - Part 14 - "The Luck of the Irish Bartender" - by PMD

Prologue: Well, here I am, at another party---working behind the bar---getting so-so tips for charity---and it's St. Paddy's Day too. Ah well, may as well make the best of it. Maybe I'll meet a guy tonight who will appreciate my head as well as my body.

~

Metropolis Hotel - Ball Room

I was supposed to be off tonight but one of the bartenders couldn't make it---a bit too much of the Irish charm the day before, I bet.

So, I sacrificed a night of watching Finian's Rainbow and any other Irish film I could find, to help out my father with this gig. You need a bartender or wench for a party---Sullivan's is happy to help you.

So I worked at one of the counters and another bartender worked at another counter, over at one of the other sides of the room.

"A margarita please."

I look up at the girl before me. "Lana---fancy meeting you here."

"Chloe---it's been like ages hasn't it. How are you doing?"

"I'm okay---can't complain. Except---"

"You still watching the old Irish classics on this night?"

I nod.

"But you had to work tonight. How is your dad, by the way?"

"He's great. You want your old job back; he's willing to give it to you."

"What and give up my life of leisure being Clark Kent's wife---I think not."

"Where is Mr. Kent? I would think he would be interviewing some of the people at this shindig."

"Did you just say shindig?"

I sigh. "Yes, the upper crusts have ruined my vocabulary."

"They've ruined mine too," we hear a deep male voice say.

I turn to look in the direction of the voice and smile. "Well, if it isn't the man himself---partly responsible for giving the party."

He walks over and Lana moves slightly. "You have me at a disadvantage---Mr. Jones. Are you a cross dresser?"

I smile at him. "They didn't tell you, did they?"

He lifts an eyebrow and then smirks. "Ahhhh---a replacement bartender. So, are you any good?"

"What would you like to drink, Mr. Luthor?"

"How about an Alexander?"

"Your namesake. Come on, Mr. Luthor---give me something more original to make---something suggestive---something to cause a blush to the young lady---or cause the man to hummmph at your sense of humor."

He smiles at me and then looks at Lana. "So, what do you suggest, Mrs. Kent?"

"Ah---hmmm---a green beer?"

"No, I think that's too traditional."

He looks back at me. "How about 'A piece of ass'?"

"Excuse me?" Lana squeaks.

I hold back the laughter, barely, and then smile at him. "All right---one 'a piece of ass' coming right up, Mr. Luthor."

"Call me Lex. And you are?"

"Chloe Sullivan."

"Ahhh---I'm being served by the owner’s daughter no less. I feel special."

"Don't feel too special---I might fuck this up."

"I have faith in you, Chloe."

I look down at the counter and back up at him. "Only three people have ever had faith in me and one of them is standing beside you."

His smile is warm and inviting. "Well, then make me lucky to be number 4."

"Okay," I say.

"Lana!" I hear a male voice yell.

Her husband walks over to the counter and kisses his wife. Then he looks at us.

"Lex---good to see you."

"And you too, Clark. Thanks for the glowing write up last week on this event."

"I only spoke the truth, my friend. And you will certainly be getting one tomorrow---this is a great party. But I have one question: Chloe---what are you doing here?"

"I work here?" I quip.

He just stares at me. Yeah, Clark can write but he can't verbal.

"She hardly works here," I hear Lex state.

Okay, Mr. Luthor is a great verbalist.

"Well, whatever's going on, Lana and I have to go---right honey?"

She sighs. "Right---well, nice party I was almost at for more than an hour, Lex."

"I'll remember to invite you both to the next one, to get your money's worth, Mrs. Kent."

She smiles at him and then looks at me. "Chloe---lunch---tomorrow?"

"How about a couple of days from now---I'm off---no comments, Luthor."

He gives me a smirk and then puts his attention on Clark, shaking his hand before Clark turns to Lana.

"Ready?"

"In a minute. Okay, I'll call you to set up a time, say, Wednesday."

"That's fine---bye Clark, Lana."

She waves as Clark drags her away.

"Wonder what that was about?" Lex ponders.

"Ovulation."

His eyebrow peaks again. "Excuse me?"

"They're trying to get pregnant."

"Ahhhh---okay. So, where's my drink?"

"Coming right up, Sir," I state, as I gather the stuff to make him a very suggestive sounding drink.

~

Minutes Later

"Here you go---one 'a piece of ass' for the man who's the greatest ass kicker around."

"You sure you're not talking about my father, Chloe?"

"Lionel--naww---I hear he's more an ass kisser, if you know what I mean."

He laughs and I smile. "Made you laugh."

He places his hand over mine and looks straight into me. "You know, I feel like I've known you all my life. Weird, eh?"

"Well, if it is, than I'm guilty of the same weirdness."

He takes it away and drinks. Then he places it down. "Good."

"Great. I can be happy now."

"Stand in line," he replies, taking my hand and squeezing it.

"Lex!"

He shudders, taking it away. "I thought I got away with this just once."

"What?" I ask.

"Nice older people, trying to set me up with somebody---usually their daughters. Why me?"

"Because you’re handsome?"

His eyebrow lifts up. "You think I'm handsome?"

"Well, yeah, in the 'nice shiny head, not having to worry about dandruff' kind of way."

He snorts. "Well, it's not that reason."

"You talk well?"

"No."

"You don't talk well---I thought you did."

"No---it's not my intellect either."

"Okay---that only leaves---"

"---money," he sighs out.

"Lex---there you are."

"Oh please, ground, swallow me up now."

He turns around and smiles at the plump lady before him, with a daughter standing beside her.

"Mrs. Duffy."

"Lex---this is a wonderful party."

"Well, thank you---I try. And who is this beautiful creature beside you?"

"Oh, yes. Lex, I would like you to meet my daughter, Buffy."

"Well, hello, Buffy," he states, putting out his hand for her to shake.

"Hello, Mr. Luthor."

"Lex, please."

"Lex," she states, blushing.

"Lex, I wondered---"

"Mrs. Duffy, I'm so sorry to be so abrupt but I forgot I have to do something."

"Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't know you were---"

"No, I'm sorry, but I have this call I have to make right away---might take a while. But it was lovely to meet you, Buffy. I'll see you around sometime."

"Sure, Lex."

He turns to me. "I'll see you later too," he whispers.

I nod at him and watch him walk away.

I then look at the ladies. "Would you like something?"

"Oh no---oh, Buffy---look. It's Derek over there---let's go see him."

I watch her drag her daughter away and then smile. Buffy Duffy---wow, her mother really didn't like her.

I put Lex's glass away and bring up some new ones, nearly dropping one when I hear:

"Hello, Chloe."

"Randy---what the hell are you doing here?" I spit out.

"I was invited. Fancy seeing you here."

"Don't you dare try anything---we're over!"

He places his hand over mine. "Are you sure about that? I see the fire in your eyes."

"Yes and it's because I'm angry. Now let go of my hand or I'll scream."

"You wouldn't scream. That could get you fired."

"Sir, if you don't let go of the young ladies hand, I will have you forcefully removed from the building!"

He turns to glance at Lex. "Go away, Luthor."

"You want me to go, Chloe?"

I give him a desperate smile and he looks back at Randy.

"I know you live up to your name, Randy. And I know that St. Paddy's Day can sometimes be arousing because of the drinking but this young lady has the good taste of not wanting you around anymore. So, please, leave or I will throw you out myself."

Randy smirks at him and then looks at me, holding tight to my hand and bringing it up to his lips. I struggle with his grip but it's no good. He brushes his lips across my hand and I shudder, in disgust. Then he places it on the counter.

"See you feel something."

"I feel disgust and nothing more. Please leave me alone."

"No---you're mine," he growls.

"She is her own and nobody else’s," Lex rages, turning him to face his angry look and then dragging him away from me.

I hear a commotion from the front door and then watch the crowd part, allowing Lex room to walk back to me. He walks around the counter and that’s when I want to let it go but people are staring at us.

He turns to glare at them and they go back to their conversations. Then he looks at me.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes."

"Chloe---I don't like liars."

I sigh and feel tired at that moment. "No, I'm not," I finally get out.

He pulls me into his arms as I let out a quiet sob and a few tears.

"It'll be okay, Chloe. I'll make sure of that."

I back away. "Going to hire a body guard for me?"

"No, I'll talk to Randy's father and tell him that if he doesn't get his son to back off, I'll take my business elsewhere. Money talks."

I don't know what to say. So, I go with my gut instincts and lean up, kissing him on the cheek.

He smiles as I move away again. "The luck of the Irish has been bestowed on me for another year."

I just laugh and turn away. "The luck of the Irish bartender more than likely, Lex."

I move down to get something from behind the counter and then he's at my level. "Chloe---do you need help? You've been through a traumatic moment back there."

"No, I'm okay, Lex," I state.

We both get up and see a wealth of faces before us. Why couldn't they be bugging the other guy's counter? I sigh, turn to him and grin, saying, "Help!"

~

Serving Drinks and Conversation

"Here you go, Miss."

I look over at Lex and smile---he's a natural---at talking and serving drinks. If he wasn't so rich, Dad could find a place for him in this business of his.

"What?" brings me out of my thoughts.

"What what?"

"Chloe, don't answer a question with a question. What?"

"Why not? Its fun and it irritates you---so score!"

His eyes narrow and then widen. Then I see a very impish smirk.

"What?"

"Nothing," he states, asking the next person what they want.

"ALEXANDER!"

"Oh God, save us from the Devil himself," Lex groans.

Oh boy, his father---so not score.

We watch as Mr. Luthor Sr. pushes his way past patrons and I watch his son visible shake. I move closer for support and sense him easing a bit.

"Hello, Dad."

"What the hell are you doing behind there---you should be smoozing with the crowd."

"I thought that was your job?"

"Don't get smart with me, Lex."

Before he can answer, I speak:

"Sir, can I interest you in a drink?"

He looks at me like I'm a bug or something to squash and I just give him my brightest smile.

"After I have a talk with my son, young lady. Now please, don't interrupt again."

"Sure---I'll just make one 'Devil's cocktail'."

He smirks at me and then growls, "I said no interruptions or I'll fire you."

"Father, that was rude."

"She's only hired help."

"She's my friend."

"And I thought you had better taste then that. Didn't I see Buffy over here with you. Where is she?"

"With Xander?" I ask, innocently.

His eyes narrow again and he growls. "You are walking on thin ice, Miss."

Before I can say something, Lex gives me a look and I shrug.

"I'll be over here if you need me, Lex."

"He won't," the Devil states.

I shake my head and then get this impish idea in my head. Instead of walking away, I touch Lex's arm. He turns his head to look at me and I lean up, kissing him on the lips. Then I back away and look at his surprised face and then at his father's disgusted one. My work here is done.

Then I walk away, satisfied and feeling a little light headed. And a few minutes later wishing I could be deaf as a doorpost.

Man, could those two argue. The patrons were walking away from the counter and I was getting pissed. They weren't even going over to the other counter for a drink---just walking away, probably to gossip about what was going on with them. Finally I walked over there, after 5 minutes of their ranting and raving.

"GENTLEMEN!"

They stop and stare at me. "What?" they both say.

"You are scaring away the customers---that's not good. So, stop it, please. I need tips to give to the children’s orphanage."

They're stunned into silence and then Lex looks at his father. "Tomorrow?"

He nods and then walks away, ignoring me completely.

"Remind me to be far away from Metro tomorrow, Chloe," Lex states.

Then he looks at the jar for tips and walks over, putting a 100.00 bill in it.

He walks back. "That enough?"

"I'd say so. Thanks, Lex."

The guests come back for their drinks and we're busy for a few minutes---but I still have time to glance at him, once in a while, until he catches me.

"Like what you see?" he asks, smirking.

I look away, handing a green drink to a customer. She winks at me, then walks away, and I smile. Then I feel him beside me and I shiver.

He leans in; I feel his breath like a calming breeze that still stirs my soul. Then he whispers to me:

"You didn't answer my question with a question?"

"It didn't deserve an answer."

"Really?"

"Yep, really."

"That's a shame---and here I thought you liked me."

He backs away and I turn to look at him. "Oh, I do. But I don't believe in fraternizing with one of the people who's employed us."

"Well, then, we'll finish this later."

I give him a shy smile. "Okay."

He walks over to his section and then turns to look at me. "I was wondering---what did Randy use to drink?"

I laugh. "You won't believe it."

"Try me."

"Pecker Heads---he loved Pecker Heads."

He chuckles and then looks out to see nobody else wants a drink. "Well, I guess my job is done here."

I sigh. "I guess so---thanks for the help."

He turns to look at me. "And thank you for helping with my father."

"You didn't really need much help."

"But you stopped the argument before it got out of hand."

"That's true."

"So, I guess I'll go see how the crowd is doing out there. But I insist on one thing."

"And that is?"

"I follow you back home, to make sure my father doesn't kidnap you."

"Lex, I can't---"

"I insist."

"All right; deal. You can follow me home in the van," I state, putting out my hand to shake his.

He then lifts my hand to his lips and kisses it gently. I look at him and he says, "To help you forget about Randy's tired try at being a gentleman."

He lets go of my hand and then walks around the counter. "I'll see you later."

He then walks away and I lean on the counter, sighing. You certainly will.

~

Two Hours Later

The guests are leaving and as I clean up, I keep looking at the gracious host, handing the men a green hat and the women a scarf of emerald green. He smiles at each of them and grins as Buffy and Derek walk out, with Mrs. Duffy beside herself. Someone’s getting lucky tonight---maybe. And maybe me too.

The last have left and I watch him sigh and then look directly at me. He walks towards the counter and my smile is simple and true. He's in front of me now.

"Need some help cleaning up?"

"Sure. Jerry usually helps but he had to leave early."

"So, what do you want me to do? Put the stuff from the other counter into your van?"

"Nawww---Jerry's got that stuff in there already---used the back entrance you know. You can deal with the bottles---if you think you know how to put bottles in boxes."

"Empties or full?" he quips.

I frown at him. "You don't drink that much?"

He sighs. "No---just enough to make me forget I'm alone in the world."

I smirk at him. "You aren't alone in the world."

"I don't count my father."

"Lexxxxx---you have Clark and Lana---and me."

He ponders for a moment and then:

"Okay, I'm alone in the world except for friends. So, guess I really don't have to drink that much---I'll just have to find another way to get rid of my father's memories."

Before I can make a suggestion, my cell phone rings.

"Saved by the bell," he smirks, coming around the corner and moving towards the bottles and the box for them. "This?"

I nod opening my cell:

"Hello."

'Chloe.'

"Lana, how's it going?"

'I was going to ask you the same thing. How are you and Lex getting along---great?'

She sounds a little too hopeful there. I smell a rat and it's wearing a pink nightie at the moment.

"Lana---you didn't!"

'Did what?'

"Set us up!"

'No.'

"Lana---you did!"

'Well---it was Clark's idea in the first place.'

"Right---you blame it on the person who I can't hurt with a hit in the jaw."

'Chloe, you wouldn't hit me?'

"No---but why did you do it?"

'Well, you've been lonely and Lex has been lonely and we want you both to be happy. So, if it worked out, great. If not---'

"Well, you are damn lucky cause I think it's working out okay."

'Really!'

"Don't sound too excited. I won't be in the car with him---I have to drive the van back to work and drop off the stuff. Then I'll have to check it over and by the time I'm finished---well, he might follow me to the warehouse but he'll probably leave in boredom, before I'm finished," I state, lying through my teeth.

'Ooooo, I know how to handle that---I'll send Clark to take the van back to work and do all that stuff you would have had to do---as a way of making it up to you for doing this dastardly deed.'

"Lana, you aren't a super villain but I'll take you up on your offer."

"What offer?"

I look at Lex. "She said she'd send Clark over to drive the van back to my dad's business."

He smirks. "And that means you have to walk home?"

I tilt my head. "No---actually, I was going to take a taxi home from there and I can do the same here too---unless you have a better offer."

He walks closer and grabs the cell from me. I lean in as he says:

"Lana, thank you and Clark for being so devious tonight."

She gasps. 'You knew?'

"Please, I've been set up by the best."

'I'm sorry.'

"Don't be---just get Clark over here so I can whisk Chloe to her home and have my way with her."

I hear another gasp and then her yelling to Clark.

"Night, Lana," Lex states, closing my cell before she can say anything.

I gesture for my cell but he only smirks at me.

"You knew," I quip.

"Of course."

"And why did you let it go on?"

"I was enjoying my time with you. For once, I have a set-up that works. At least, it does work."

"Give me my cell back and I'll show you how much it worked."

He hands it to me and I lean up, about to give him a kiss when:

"Hi, Guys."

"Oh God, Clark has the worst sense of timing," we both sigh.

I smile at him and he does the same. "I'll drive you home. Oh, and we'll continue this later, I promise you."

"Promises, promises," I quip, moving away from him and getting a hit on the butt for my kinetic comment.

~

A Short Time Later

We're finally waving goodbye to Clark and his remark, 'Don't do anything I wouldn't do' to us.

Yes, he was pumped up, knowing that his idea worked, with Lana's help. Should have known this was too good to be true---that this was another fix-up---that's what happened with Randy, right? And here I was pumped up such a short time ago, I think, as I get into Lex's car and fumble with the seatbelt.

"Allow me---they're kind of tricky."

I watch him lean over and take in a deep whiff of his cologne.

"Nice cologne."

He snaps it in and moves away, leaning in to smile. "I don't wear any."

He shuts the door to a surprised face and then walks over to the other side. I look ahead as he gets in and closes the door, putting on his own seatbelt. Them I feel his eyes on me and I refuse to look.

"Chloe, what's wrong? Are you upset about the set-up?"

I feel the tears in my eyes and sigh. I won't cry, I won't cry, I won't, cry.

One slips down on my left cheek and I feel him lean in and brush it off.

"Oh God, Chloe. It's a set-up on their part but it's not for me. It never was. I believe that any other place---any other time---Lana or Clark there or not---I would be here right now, with you. Please believe me."

I turn to look at his face, the moon illuminating it---giving it an ethereal look---a magical look---a promise of things to come, look.

"I believe we were interrupted before," I whisper.

"Interrupted?" Then it dawns on him. "Ahhhhh---yes I believe we were."

We lean into each other and kiss. This one is different then the one before. This doesn't have an audience and although gentler than the smack I gave him before, is much more consuming.

I've never been kissed like this before. Nobody could top what's happening to me at the moment. He begs for entrance and I can't deny him anything. We duel for supremacy for a second before he gives in to me and lets out a sigh.

That is what makes it so amazing---beyond the feelings I can do anything now---even fly. I sense he doesn't give over the reins too often---definitely not in business that much and I think he wants to be in control of anything dealing with women or personal relationships. Well, except for close friends---like Clark and Lana. And now me.

We both back away, breathing deeply of the air and smile.

"Lex---I---"

He places a finger over my mouth. "Its okay---you don't have to say a word."

I glare at him. "Okay---you can say something if you want," he quips, pulling back.

I sit there, staring at him one moment and then ahead.

"My love-life has been a shambles---"

Then I look at him. "---that is, until now."

I see it---something noble---not egotistical and then he speaks:

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."

I feel the tears again. "Are you saying you love me?"

He touches my cheek. "Are you saying you don't feel it too, Chloe?"

"I do but this is the first time somebody has wanted my heart, as well as my body. It feels---"

"---wonderful?"

I nod.

He leans in, causing me to shiver with, "Well, I'm in it for both and your mind."

He backs away and I hit his arm. Then it turns serious. "I was serious about feeling like I knew you before. Maybe we met in another life-time and this is our reward for doing things right---a lifetime together and beyond---I mean, I hope that happens."

I see the insecurity again and rub his arm. "Try to get rid of me, Luthor. I'm stuck to you with superglue."

"So, that was that slick stuff in your mouth," he quips.

I shake my head and smile. "You really think you got the verbal judo on, don't you?"

"Yes, I do."

I laugh. "Yeah, but I'm honing it, aren't I?"

He chuckles. "I love Clark like a brother but he couldn't hold a candle to you in that department."

"The same for Lana. Isn't it weird?"

"What?"

"That I know Lana---Lana married Clark---and you know Clark. How often does that happen?"

"More often then you know, Chloe."

"Maybe---who knows. We'd have to do a survey to find out."

"First thing on my agenda, after getting you home."

He starts the car and then turns it off.

"What's wrong---run out of gas already?" I quip.

"Ah---which way to your home?"

"Oh---thataway, Trigger."

"Horse jokes now?"

"Thought it was needed. The tension in this car---"

"---you could cut with a knife."

"Yep."

He starts the car again and then pats my hand. Then, we're off.

~

Arriving at Chloe's Condo

The rain had started just as we left---a drizzle at first. And now, not quite a storm but a little heavier. Heavy enough that I want him to stay till it's over. No, you would want him to stay, even if it wasn't raining, Chloe. Why am I going so fast? I didn't with Randy---it wasn't until the 3rd date that I let him in. You know why---you don't want this to end.

"Lex?" I ask, as he parks the car in the condo's parking lot.

He turns it off and looks at me. "I'd love to come up and wait out the rain. Do I need something to park here?"

I open my purse and pass him a parking pass.

"You always carry them around with you?" he quips.

"You never know when a girl can get lucky, you know," I quip back.

"And are you feeling lucky tonight?" he asks.

I'm about to quip him with that remark when I see he's serious. "Yes, I am---very lucky."

He leans in and places a chaste kiss on my lips. Then backs away. "Good answer."

He puts the pass in the window and gets out. I open the door and then he helps me out, putting his coat over me and locks the door. We rush for the door to the building and arrive at the elevator in scant minutes. We enter and I push the button for my floor. Then we go up, trying not to shake the droplets onto the floor. Just breathing and staring at each other.

"If we weren't both a little wet, I would stop the elevator," I say, seductively.

"You'd have to fight me for that task," he says, the desire hot in his eyes.

I gulp and look ahead, thankful for the ding of the elevator as it arrives at the 7th floor.

"Saved by the bell again," he quips, as we exit the elevator and make our way to my condo apartment.

Indeed, I think, indeed.

~

Chloe's Condo

We're in front of my door now and I'm so nervous.

I take my keys out of my purse and then drop them.

We both lean down at the same time to pick them up and hit our heads.

"Ouch!" Lex states, getting up and rubbing his head.

"I'm sorry," I state, remembering I have hair as padding, he doesn't.

"Its okay---it never pays to do something good."

"Hey, is sure does. I mean, this was an accident. You saved me tonight from that jerk and now---"

"---I get you?" he asks.

"Actually a cup of coffee and some homemade cookies. And the possibility of me in the future."

I try my keys again, after seeing that happy look on his face. Unfortunately, I'm still feeling clumsy and drop them.

"Shall I?" he asks.

I nod.

He picks them up and tries the keys in the door---one, then another, then another, and finally hits the right one.

He opens the door and bows to me. I walk in and he follows, closing the door and then handing me the keys, which I drop once more, when he pulls me in for a kiss.

"I can't understand why I'm so clumsy tonight," I say, after we break the kiss.

"You're nervous."

"I guess. I'm---"

"No, it's okay---I'm nervous too."

"Lex Luthor---the man who's the most eligible bachelor in Metropolis and dated some very famous and infamous women in the world, is nervous?" I quip.

"Only because the woman before me is somebody I never want to lose as a friend, if this relationship goes south."

I lean in, hugging him and whispering, "I promise---we'll always be friends, even if we end up together or don't."

He hugs me tighter and whispers, "Thank you, Chloe."

"You're welcome," I whisper back.

Then we back away. "So, you sit down and I'll bring out the coffee and cookies."

"Aren't you a little clumsy tonight? Maybe I should help with the coffee?"

"No---I'm okay now. Go, sit, relax---you deserve it with all the hard work tonight and dealing with your father."

"Okay---I'll be over there, if you need me," he states, pointing at the couch.

I lean up to kiss him gently on the cheek and then back down. "I'll always need you---now scoot and I'll bring back some goodies and then---"

"To bed?" acting like a teenager who thinks he's getting lucky for the first time.

"No, a movie and then we'll see."

He rolls his eyes and walks over to the couch---sitting and fuming at me. But he can't fool me----he's just pretending to be pissed.

I walk towards the kitchen and hear, "Nice ass."

"You have a nice one too," I state, as I leave the room.

And I hear laughter in my wake.

~

Chloe's Kitchen

I putter around it, getting out the cookies and then I stop. I go to the fridge and find the makings of a drink I really want to share with him.

I mix it up and then put it on a tray, with the goodies and then I walk back---to a man fast asleep.

I place the tray on the coffee table in front of the couch and walk over.

"Lex?"

A snore.

"Lexxxx?"

Another snore.

I lean in and find myself pulled on top of him. "Lex!"

"What?" he asks, an innocent look on his face.

"You are such a bird brain. You've been around Clark too much---he's shattered your brain."

"Just because I'm a little playful, I'm stupid," he quips.

"Well, I don't know---I've only seen the deadly serious Alexander Luthor on the TV screen---he kind of scares me."

"Well then, you'll only see him on the screen."

"Lex---a happy medium, please. How about semi-serious, semi-goofy?"

He sighs, as I get off of him. "I'll try."

Then he looks at the table and back at me. "That's coffee?"

"No, genius---it's a cold drink instead."

"You offered coffee."

"Well, I decided to change my mind."

"Okay---what is it?"

"It's called a 'goodnight kiss'."

"Hmmmm---so, this is in place of a goodnight kiss at the door?"

"Yes."

"I get to stay the night."

Before I can say a word my phone rings.

"Saved by the bell, again."

I snort at him and then go to the phone:

"Hello, Clark."

'How'd you know it was me?'

"Wild guess."

'Oh, I interrupted again. Sorry, Chlo.'

"Its okay---what do you and Lana want?"

'We wanted to invite you and Lex up to the farm tomorrow. So---coming?'

I back away from the phone. "Lex, do you really want to get out of town tomorrow?"

"Hell, yes."

"Okay."

I go back to the phone. "We're coming---when do you want to start out?"

'Early.'

"Okay---is that early farm time or early, city time?"

"Early city time---say 7 okay?"

I turn to Lex. "7 an okay start?"

He nods yes.

"Fine, Clark. We'll follow you from your place?"

'We'll come over to your place---as a way of making it up to you two.'

"Works for me. We'll see you tomorrow then. Give my best to Lana---and happy baby-making."

'Bye Chloe.'

I swear as I hang up, I can hear him blushing. I grin and then look over at him getting up and taking both glasses in his hands.

He walks over and hands one to me. "To tomorrow and all the morrows to follow."

"To friends who love to set up friends," I add.

We clink our glasses and take a drink. He takes my glass and puts it down on the table with his.

"Nice but I'd rather get the real thing."

"A goodnight kiss?" I ask.

"No---just a kiss."

"But---"

He places a finger on my lips. "Chloe, I have a bag in my car. I always do for emergencies. And since we do have to get up early tomorrow---well---"

He backs away. "You want to stay the night?"

"If you'll let me. And I'll stay on the couch---if you want to take it slow."

I close my eyes and see him not there but in my arms, always. I open them.

"No, you can share my bed, if you aren't a blanket hog."

"Can't say I've ever been called that," he laughs.

I smile and then feel a little nervous, until:

"Chloe, I meant it---as slow as you want to take this is fine by me. I just don't want to lose the luck of the Irish bartender, ever."

I lean up to kiss him on the lips, softly and subtly. Then I back away to a very contented man.

"You never will, Luthor. The luck of the Irish will always be with us both."

"And the luck of two friends who could see what two people needed and gave it to them."

I take his hand and lead him towards the bedroom, turning off the lights as we enter my inner sanctum.

May the luck of the Irish be with my friends too---for helping us find love, like they have.

The End.

NS Senior Member Senior Member

Re: The Luck Of The Irish Bartender (PG-13

Love the flirting. Have to wonder if that's a real drink. Loved Chloe's quips to Lionel, especially the part about 'with Xander' when he asked about Buffy. Very fun and nice fic.

Very sweet story, Peggy!

I loved that your Lana wasn’t annoying and I laughed when the most outrageous drink she could think of was a green beer. Lol

His eyebrow lifts up. "You think I'm handsome?"

"Well, yeah, in the 'nice shiny head, not having to worry about dandruff' kind of way."

Lex really should learn to appreciate the convenience of baldness. And just think of the savings on shampoo.

I though it was wonderfully sweet of Lex to stay and help her serve drinks. It’s nice to see him being there for her even at this early stage.

I shake my head and then get this impish idea in my head. Instead of walking away, I touch Lex's arm. He turns his head to look at me and I lean up, kissing him on the lips. Then I back away and look at his surprised face and then at his father's disgusted one. My work here is done.

LMAO She got to kiss Lex *and* bug Lionel. Total score.

"Oh God, Chloe. It's a set-up on their part but it's not for me. It never was. I believe that any other place---any other time---Lana or Clark there or not---I would be here right now, with you. Please believe me."
    I love how Lex wanted so badly to convince her.

This was really a wonderful look into the lives of happy Chlex. Sometimes it’s nice to get to watch them be happy without the world falling down around them.

Great job!

~Sarah~

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

Cute cute story. I would love to see Chloe or Lex behind the bar where I go but they are all ugly dudes. Anyhoo, you banter is really good and I like you working other characters into the stories.

NS Senior Member Senior Member malugargula's Avatar

Great fic

I loved the flirting, the kissing and the irish luck that they got
    LOL
    And I liked Lana and Clark here... They finally did something important
    Malu

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

loved the story it was soo funny and sweet.

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar

That was cute! Great story!
    *Coffee Break 9:00 to 5:00 Daily.
    *Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over.
    *Are you crazy?
    *From zero to insane in 1.5 seconds!
    *If I agree with you, then we'd both be wrong!

Re: The Luck Of The Irish Bartender (PG-13) - Complete

Absolutely adorable. I love how you write Chloe so feisty and strong like she was in the beginning of the series. Well done.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information