+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 9/6/05

Bruce's Favorite Stalker

Re: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 6/24

Alright, first of all, hell of a chapter. Second of all-- yeah, I'm still stunned by this chapter.

Every night they sleep holding each other and never speak of it in the morning.

Lex watches her watching him and remembers.
    The relationship you write between these two tragic characters is real and I love it. Their avoidance of the topic of the relationship and bond that is growing between them is very much them, and I love the way you write it so it slowly escalades to the proverbial mess they find themselves in at the end of the chapter.

Lex pins against the wall. Their bodies touching at thigh, groin, stomach, chest. His hands are like manacles on her upper arms. Chloe can see his pulse beating in his throat like bird wings against cage bars. He forces her head up. Forces her to meet his eyes, "What do you see?" He demands, "What do you see when you look at me?" He can feel her trembling frantically under him.

Trapped by his gaze and his body, she can’t do anything but answer.

"I see a wounded little boy, lost and desperate in a dark wood, getting angrier every second no one comes to save him." Her eyes are wet and burning at the same time, "I see someone just like me."
    This is sick and twisted in a sort of way I'm sure all the shrinks in the world would have a day with-- but this sort of physical touching, arguring is, in my opinion, very Lex and very Lex and Chloe. Lex hides all his feelings and emotions so when they are finally released it is very much like you described their final meeting (the kiss) a floodgate. It is very much, in my mind, justified for their to be physical arguments to be between them-- as long as it doesn't border the line of abusive. Does this make any sense at all, or am I just crazy?

With a cry, somewhere between grief and release, Lex covers her mouth with his.

It is more than a kiss. It’s the opening of a floodgate. The force of it leaves no room for finesse or technique. All they can do is cling to each other and try to keep from drowning.
    Again, beautiful. Loved it.

They are so far beyond the territory Chloe knows there might as well be a map marked ‘Here be dragons’. She doesn’t care. She will lose Lex- but first at least she will have had this, at least she will have had this piece of him.
    Especially loved the way you ended it because it's exactly how I imagine Chlex. The first initial time is always a mistake but, eventually it is always leading them to the place where the can sit back and say 'I need this, and to hell with everyone else'.

Loved this update.

More please?
    "I think the whole glory of writing lies in the fact that it forces us out of ourselves and into the lives of others."
    ~ Anderson Sherwood

LarkLuthor
    Just a Guest!

June stole everything I wanted to say. *sticks out her tongue at June for being too right* So I'm going to coment on her quotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by June
    Alright, first of all, hell of a chapter. Second of all-- yeah, I'm still stunned by this chapter.
    Amen sister!

The relationship you write between these two tragic characters is real and I love it. Their avoidance of the topic of the relationship and bond that is growing between them is very much them, and I love the way you write it so it slowly escalades to the proverbial mess they find themselves in at the end of the chapter.
    Oh yeah, it's the little things that add up to make the conclusion so good.

This is sick and twisted in a sort of way I'm sure all the shrinks in the world would have a day with-- but this sort of physical touching, arguring is, in my opinion, very Lex and very Lex and Chloe. Lex hides all his feelings and emotions so when they are finally released it is very much like you described their final meeting (the kiss) a floodgate. It is very much, in my mind, justified for their to be physical arguments to be between them-- as long as it doesn't border the line of abusive. Does this make any sense at all, or am I just crazy?
    They do have a lot of sexual tension built up through little touches in the show... It's as if everytime the interact there's some great physical tell in their movements and reactions that they simply can't control around each other...

Especially loved the way you ended it because it's exactly how I imagine Chlex. The first initial time is always a mistake but, eventually it is always leading them to the place where the can sit back and say 'I need this, and to hell with everyone else'.
    Chlex is doomed but yet unstopable...it might not end pretty, but they can't resist anyway...it becomes a part of them...

And most of all I agree it was a great update and we NEED more soon!

Lark

Quote Originally Posted by tracyaching
    "I see a wounded little boy, lost and desperate in a dark wood, getting angrier every second no one comes to save him." Her eyes are wet and burning at the same time, "I see someone just like me."
    Totally hitting the nail on the head. The dynamic of Chlex is how they are actually alike. Looking at far you cannot see it but you have to dig deep and digging deep is what we Chlexer are good at. We are able to see what the writers of smallville fails to see. Can only imagine how smallville could had been. At the beggening of the series so much potencial but they were not able to capatalize it.

Your one of the new writers here but your definitely vast becoming one of one favorite.... Bravo...

PHD in Procrastination Senior Member vardaquareien's Avatar

Absolutely wonderful ficcy! You've taken what in the beginning could have been a trite story of kidnapping that's been done to death and given it a new spin and a wonderful new life! The gradual awareness that has grown between Chloe & Lex is fantastic! And this last update, well... yummm that's all I can say! You leave me wanting More!!!

...And you're a Pterry fan!!! *hugs* (you know the first time I saw your username on the board I immediately thought of Tiffany Aching, then dismissed the thought as being the product of an overly Pratchett obsessed brain. luv the sig )

I cannot believe you ended it there!!! Get back here quick, i am desperately in need of the next chapter. That was so amazing!!!

Kimmie

slyflame
    Just a Guest!

Gorgeous, darling. wowowowow.

Just found this treasure, one of the best fics on this board..I love it. It's endearing, captiviating and giving us a raw look into two very fascinating characters. The plot and characterization are on par and I'm very impressed, keep up this great piece.

I cannot wait to read your next chapter and your future work as well!

Fabulous update. I love how their more physical relationship comes, as an explosion. I think the relationship has to be about talking and time and you have done that well. But their attraction is undeniable and you did a fantastic job of showing how well they fit. More soon please.

NS Junior Member Madison_Writer's Avatar

Love it! This story captures all of Chloe's fears and insecurities without making her seem too bitter or like Lana. It also shows a side of Lex that is sooo frigtheningly like Chloe. I've always thought that Lex and Chloe were two halves of a coin. Lex, hiding behind the dark brooding persona of rich playboy-corporate tycoon, and Chloe hiding behind the persona of the bright, ever-happy, intrepid reporter. Well done

Nerd-bitch

Re: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 6/29

A/N: Wow. I was really nervous about the new direction of this fic but you guys have been amazing- better than amazing. Thank-you so much.
    Here is a rather short update but in the words of Ray Charles, "I'm going let it be what it be, baby." So it is in writing, as in music.

Chapt 8-

Chloe is asleep, lying on her side, facing him. Her dark lashes flutter gently against her pale cheek and her lips (sweet and soft, Lex knows) are slightly parted. He traces the lines of her body with his eyes, imagining and sometimes remembering his hands and his mouth on her instead. The curve of her exposed hip is the most alluring thing Lex has ever seen. He slides a little closer, so he can feel the heat of her skin.

Lex has no idea what to do. He knows what he wants to do. He wants to stroke his fingers over her hip bone and then his lips and then he will. . .

He wants it so badly the hand he reaches towards her shakes. He has never desired a woman so much after just having her- but Chloe is different.

Chloe makes him feel.

Truly feel.

The sensation is unfamiliar. Lex has always watched. He observes the world, finding the angles, seeking weaknesses, always assessing, always removed. And therefore safe. Even with beautiful women- beautiful wanton willing women in the midst of the act- he performs and watches himself do it, the buffer always in place. But there is no safe distance with Chloe. She is immediate, visceral- overwhelming. He feels everything.

He should be horrified.

He feels alive.

His brain, the ever present little man in his head is demanding to know what will happen, where this could possibly go. As Lex’s fingers slip over Chloe's warm skin, her eyes flutter open and she gives him a smile he can feel to the marrow of his bones. He shushes the little voice and lowers his mouth to her. Tomorrow he will think. For now, for tonight he will have this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because he doesn’t want to get out of bed the next morning, Lex makes himself. Discipline drives him into the shower, insists on clean clothes, marches him into the kitchen for breakfast. Every step takes him further away from the events of last night. Each one is a test of will he refuses to fail.

He is sitting upright and stiff, at the counter eating a bowl of Cheerios when Chloe wanders in. She is mussed and rumpled and languid. He can smell the scent of their mingled bodies on her. In these ways he has marked her and some part of him takes immense satisfaction in it. She helps herself to coffee and watching her standing at the counter, her shoulder blades pale and sculpted like swan’s wings, almost breaks his resolve. All he wants is to stand close to her and feel her breathing. The four feet of space between them is four feet too many.

When she turns to face him, she gives him a small quiet smile, “What? No breakfast?” She asks.

He offers her a bite of Cheerios from his spoon, grave and mocking and she grins. Moving quickly, Chloe crosses the kitchen and leans over the counter between them to take what he has offered before he pulls it back. His eyes are wide when she snatches the mouthful. They narrow again when a drop of milk rolls down her chin. She wipes it away before he can act on his next impulse.

His exercises of will power this morning mean nothing. He sees that quite clearly now. He is not in control of anything.

“I’ll need a clean spoon.” He hears his voice say.

Chloe stops dead, her smile draining away.

Lex wishes he could close his eyes or turn his head but he forces himself to watch. This is my fault, he tells himself. I have done this. I have made this necessary.

She rips open the silverware drawer behind her and when she comes around with the spoon she looks like she wants to plunge it into his chest but instead she hands it to him.

“Thanks for breakfast.” She tells him as she leaves the kitchen.

Lex finds her later in the study, staring at a book. He doubts she’s reading it. She hasn’t turned a page in five minutes. It doesn’t occur to him that he has stood and watched her not reading for that long.

“We need to talk about the plan.” He says from the doorway.

She looks up at him. Somewhere in the last nine days she has mastered his stare. Lex has the uncomfortable sensation that she can see right through him. She smiles a little, “Of course, the plan.” He can almost hear the commas dropping into place around the word.

He ignores the smile, the stare, and the tone of voice. “What do I need to do to convince you this is our best chance at getting out of here?” He asks seriously, sitting across from her.

“Nothing. I’ll do it.” Her gaze is steady, neutral, completely opaque.

“You will?” There is a stone in his gut, holding him to the chair. She won’t even argue with him.

“Yeah. I don’t have any better ideas and you’re right- we need to get out of here.”

He doesn’t answer and she continues on in the same calm voice.

“But where will I get a costume? and I know you have a tux in the closet but we both need masks.”

“It’s taken care of.” A brief call to a costume shop this morning and an offered bribe in cash, to have the required items delivered to the desk downstairs has taken care of that particular problem.

“Fine.” Chloe says her eyes falling back to the book. Lex sits stunned. Only his father has ever been able to dismiss him like that. He resists the urge to rip the book out of her hands and kiss her until she looks at him again the way she looked at him last night.

“What do you want from me?” He asks instead.

Her eyes are pale and bright and flecked with a dozen different colors like stones at the bottom of a stream. “What do you want, Lex?” She asks before returning to the pages.

The question haunts him all through the day and into their bed that night. He knows what he wants. But all the years of his life have taught him that anything he truly wants and tries to take will only leave him emptier than before. And there is the matter of what she wants and what is best for her. What could he offer her but shame and staring eyes and big empty gestures? It should be painfully obvious to her that he knows nothing about love.

Love. How is it possible that such a dangerous word has snuck into his vocabulary and into more than his vocabulary?

In the dim light, Lex can see Chloe’s outline, like a landscape. He realizes that with her, he is becoming his mother’s son and not his father’s. It is this thought more than anything that lets him reach out to touch her skin, gently near the shoulder. She rolls over. Her face is soft and sad and something in him that came loose yesterday falls free. He reaches towards her again and with a sigh she slides into his arms. He is briefly afraid she will misinterpret the gesture but she doesn’t move to kiss him. She only holds him and before he drifts off he hears her murmur, “You’re such a coward sometimes”.

He doesn't argue. She has a way of seeing the truth.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information