+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 9/6/05

Bruce's Favorite Stalker

Re: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R)

first of all, I must admit, when I first started reading this-- I was like 'oh no another Chlex kidnapped plot'... but you have done such an amazing job with this I am constantly coming back here and wondering if you've update. Great story, Great chlex... all around wonderful. Can't wait for the next update.
    "I think the whole glory of writing lies in the fact that it forces us out of ourselves and into the lives of others."
    ~ Anderson Sherwood

slyflame
    Just a Guest!

argh, meanie cliff you leave us hanging at

Nerd-bitch

Re: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 6/17

A/N- I'm probably going to get yelled at for leaving it where I have but it's going to be a busy weekend for me and I thought a little now instead of a lot later might be better.

Chap. 6, Part I-

Dinner that night is a silent affair, punctuated only by the ting sound as a spoon strikes a bowl. Chloe has made minestrone soup. It is delicious and comforting. Lex realizes that no one has cooked for him, who wasn’t paid to do so since his mother died. The thought makes him feel warm and weak. He wonders if Chloe’s mother ever cooked for her, before she left. How old was she when it happened? Does Chloe ever dream about her? What does she dream about? The more Lex learns about the girl, the more he is hungry to know. He does not understand what is happening except that he feels like he is drowning.

Or how he imagines drowning must feel. Floating, trapped between two screaming muffled voices. One full of fear, demanding that you fight, that you claw your way to the surface and breathe at any cost. The second voice is persuasive. It murmurs that the water is cool and warm at once and so welcoming. It tells you to rest, to let yourself sink and the burning pain will stop. The first voice sounds vaguely like his father. It makes sense. It’s a very Luthor sentiment.

This is usually the point where Lex runs but there is no where left to run to.

“I saw how you had twisted yourself around trying to make Lionel love you.” He can hear Chloe’s voice again. He does not want to be twisted anymore. Lex feels Chloe’s eyes, like a touch on his skin. What does she see now? What else will she reach in and pull out of him? He smiles tightly into his soup bowl- he has become a magician’s hat. He is full of metaphors.

Chloe stirs her soup rather than eats it. She watches fascinated as vegetables rise and fall in it. Bubbles, currents, eddies form and dissipate. Against her will her eyes keep returning to Lex. He is eating his soup with silent perfection. Even the way he grips his spoon is fascinating to her. What is this power he has, she wonders. How does he make her reveal things she has never told anyone? Chloe knows she has always led a double life- seeking and sometimes demanding the truth from others while hiding the truth about herself. It is almost intoxicating to be the story for once. The way he watches her when she speaks, so absorbed like she has become the whole world- she’s never known anything like it. No one, not even her father has ever listened to her with such intensity. She is eager and terrified by the thought that he will ask her more questions.

Chloe goes to bed early and sleeps in fits and starts. Every time Lex moves a finger or breathes too deeply she is awake again, and waiting for . . . something. Eventually, deep in the night, she sleeps the sleep of the desperate. She wakes hours after Lex and is strangely conscious of the fact that she is tracing his path through the apartment- to the kitchen for breakfast, to the bathroom for a shower, into the closet for clothes, and even into the study for a book.

She browses idly through the book shelves. He has a lot of philosophy- Nietchze, Plato, Sun Tzu- which she kind of expected and a lot of poetry which she didn’t. She pulls a very beautiful edition of “Leaves of Grass” off the shelf and begins to read. Lex leans against the doorframe an hour later and watches her. She is lying on the floor with her legs in a chair, and a pillow wedged under her head. The book is propped on her stomach, leaning against her legs. He wonders how she could possibly be comfortable like that. Suddenly, he wants her to look at him. He wants to see her eyes.

“What does MB stand for?” His voice is loud in the silence. Chloe jumps and Lex takes shameful satisfaction from it. She is not supernatural. She can’t sense his presence.

“What’s your favorite cereal?” Chloe responds, almost sharp but not quite. She is watching him from a strange angle. Her head tipped back on the pillow. He knows he looks almost upside down to her but her expression is still too intense.

“Are we still playing that game?” He shouldn’t have come in here. He knew better. And that’s not what he should say to her. If he really wanted to push her away he would have asked, “I thought we stopped playing that game yesterday.” But he can’t bring himself to punish her for being brave enough to answer his question. She rights herself suddenly so that she is sitting properly on the floor and facing him.

Chloe is holding on as best she can in the face of Lex’s stare. It would be so easy for her to give in, to answer his question and the next one and the next one and let him watch her that way forever- but she told him yesterday she wouldn’t lose herself to Clark and she won’t lose herself to him, either. If he wants answers, he can give answers.

“What else is there to do?” She asks.

Not much and they still have eleven hours before they have to meet Anthony.

Chloe is watching him like she expects him to turn and run at any second. Lex decides it’s an innocent enough question to answer.

“Cheerios.”

Chloe doesn’t look surprised although she feels a little- discombobulated, to be honest. Cheerios. That’s so . . .endearing. So she answers his question.

“Magnificent Bastard.”

“You think my father is magnificent?” He asks.

“Only in the sense that some things are so perfectly what they are you have to be a little awed. Lionel is a perfect and utter bastard.”

That was certainly true.

“What’s your favorite cereal?” Her question has made him curious in turn.

“Count Chocula. How many pairs of sunglasses do you own?”

“Hundreds. Have you ever had a pet?”

After a while Chloe gets up to take a load of laundry out of the drier. When she’s done folding it she finds Lex in the kitchen making a sandwich. The ridiculous questions continue. What was the name of your first stuffed animal? (Chloe) Who is your favorite poet? (Lex) Do you flush the toilet with your hand or your foot in public rest rooms? (Chloe, again) Have you ever been drunk? (Lex) Lex makes her a sandwich while she watches from the behind the counter. When Chloe eats it she absently licks some mayonnaise off her thumb and Lex watches mesmerized through his eyelashes.

After lunch they return to their own pursuits, occasionally Chloe shouts a question at Lex which he invariably walks over to reply to and then asks a question of his own before leaving the room. He lets her shout her answers, though he never raises his voice.

They make dinner together again.

“What was your first kiss?” The questions have been getting progressively more intimate all afternoon. It happened so slowly Chloe hardly noticed. Nor is she sure how it occurred or who is responsible. The question sits there and dares her to answer.

Lex is watching her out of the corner of his eye as he slices cucumber for the salad. There is a faint blush on her cheeks. He actually sees her pull herself together and decide to be nonchalant.

“Sixth grade. Kevin-“

Lex turns around, quick and sharp and Chloe steps back. He pulls a towel out of the drawer beside her hip and smiles at her.

“Sorry. Please continue.” He is leaning back against the counter, watching her as he dries his hands.

“Kevin Cousineau. Under the monkey bars. Someone bet him a quarter to do it.” It’s a silly memory but it still bothers a little. She got her first kiss from a boy who wanted a quarter not her. Story of her life.

“When was your first real kiss?” His voice is soft and he has not taken his eyes off of her since he turned around. Chloe can feel her body slowing down like time is leaving her behind. The blood is sliding through her veins like syrup and she can’t seem to get enough oxygen. No. She shakes her head to clear away the spell.

“My turn.” She asserts, “When was your first kiss?”

“I was thirteen. Her name was Jessica Van Avery. Spin the bottle.” He bought his way into the game and then rigged it.

“and?”

“and what?”

“How was it?”

“Clumsy.” He smiles a little, recalling the moment. It is not bitter or sarcastic and Chloe experiences a vague annoyance with this faceless girl. “but memorable.” Lex turns his attention back to her. “What was your first real kiss?” He asks again. In the dim light of the kitchen his eyes are dark.

“That is a very vague question. What do you mean by “real” kiss? Do you mean the first time some guy tried to stick his tongue in my mouth or the first time I wanted him to? Or do you mean the first time I ever felt dizzy and breathless and swept away?” She is surveying the kitchen as she talks, looking at anything but Lex and trying to keep her voice casual. “In that case maybe what you really mean is ‘what was my best kiss to date’. You wouldn’t be much of an interviewer.” She observes.

Lex steps across the narrow area between the counters again. He pulls the same drawer at her hip open and tucks one end of the towel into it so it can hang dry. He shouldn’t have crossed the space between them. He can’t back away. He looks down at Chloe. She is staring at the floor but can’t seem to move either. Lex can smell her- clean, and sweet and delicious like lake water.

“What,” His voice is husky, “was your best kiss?”

Lex Luthor. Two days ago. He kissed my neck and I could feel him shivering as he did it. She can’t tell him that.

She licks her lips nervously and Lex has to close his eyes.

“Fifteen. Joe Andrews.”

“And?”

“And what?” Why are they always going around in circles, Chloe wonders frantically. She picks a thread on her shirt to hide- everything.

“What happened?”

“We were behind the gym. I was interviewing him about some things that went missing from the chem lab. He had criminal impulses.” She admits. “All of a sudden he kissed me.”

“That’s it?”

He captured my mouth. He pushed me up against the wall. His hands- He still wasn’t you.

She looks up at Lex finally. He has only ever been so physically close to her once- on the dance floor. Would she always be haunted by that damn dance? The distance between them is shrinking. She can feel the heat of his body. He is so much warmer than. . .

Ding! The oven timer buzzes sharply and they both jump.

“The rolls-” Chloe hastily pulls herself away. Oh god, what was she about to do?

They return to the game as they eat their meal but it is innocent again and they are both distracted. Afterwards Chloe watches a movie she will never remember seeing and then wanders in the bathroom to begin getting dressed for the club.

Out of the shower and trying to decide what to do with her hair she hears a thump and growl. She wanders toward the noise. Lex is going through the drawer where she has put all his “disguise” clothes. She promises herself she will behave normally.

“What’s the problem?” She asks him.

He rounds on her and opens his mouth. Chloe readies herself for the barrage but his lips twist and he smiles ruefully, “I was going to say that I don’t know what to wear but that sounds a little- pathetic.”

Chloe grins. He is making it easy. “Vanity thy name is Lex.” She intones solemnly. She reaches down into the drawer and pulls out a charcoal gray long sleeved t-shirt and a white short sleeve button up. “Wear these.” She tells him.

He looks at them doubtfully, “Together?” He asks.

“Yes, and the cuff.”

“That is not going to happen.”

Chloe makes a disgusted noise, “You know nothing about modern fashion.” She informs him on her way out.

“Thank God.” She hears behind her.

Lex waits on the couch in what he thinks of as his stage clothes and tries to prepare himself for whatever will come out of the bathroom. He tells himself all the things he should: she is just a high school girl, he is a man, a very experienced man who has known hundreds of beautiful women (in the biblical sense), this is certainly not the time or the place for whatever is going on inside of him, and he has never been attracted to blondes anyway.

None of it works. He doesn’t feel like a man. He feels like a turgid sweaty teenage boy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight Chloe is in green- jade to be exact. Her top is silk, falling from her neck to reveal far too much of the beautiful skin between her breasts. She is wearing jeans as well, of a blue so dark they are almost black. She has a wide green ribbon around her wrist and her hair is pinned back behind one ear with what looks like an elaborate brooch made of jade green rhinestones in the shape of a leaf. Her eyes have become green to match. She looks like some kind of modern day wood nymph. Lex imagines his tongue tasting the skin her top is showing him. Only the long hard years of his life under Lionel allows him to stand up and usher her out the door like everything is normal.

TBC. . .

There's been a bit of a debate on the boards about Lex's favorite cereal- I couldn't help but incorporate it. Just know that I have the utmost respect for everyone's opinion on the subject this is just what I had to go with now.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was a great update!

Loved the way Lex and Chloe were playing 20 questions with each other

And I can't wait for the second part.

This story rocks
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

LarkLuthor
    Just a Guest!

The 20 questions were great! and I loved that the cereal question got in there!

More soon? Right?

Lark

LOL you've brainwashed me! I have crossed over to the Lex-loves-Cheerios camp because that was just so cute! And I kind of want to try Count Chocula now! Great update

Nerd-bitch

Re: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 6/18

A/N: Okay, so I got inspired and neglected my homework a little. I work better under pressure anyway.

Chapt 6, Part II-

The atmosphere in the club is ferocious- there are even more people than last time. Everyone is drunk and dancing. Chloe is grateful that they came in the VIP door. The thought of crossing the dance floor in this is unimaginable. The bouncer from the door doesn’t take them up to the balcony like before, instead he ushers them to a small office somewhere behind the bar. When the door shuts behind them Anthony doesn’t even bother with hello.

“You really inspire people, you know that Alex?” The club owners’ voice is not mocking this time, rather it is tense and short. Lex seats himself very deliberately in one of two chairs in front of Bird’s desk. They both ignore Chloe, so she stands back in the shadows to watch. “When people hate you, they don’t do it half-assed. You inspire them to new heights.” Seeing the formally cool man so agitated is worrying Chloe. When all this is over, she promises herself she will never come to this club again.

“This discussion of my charms is fascinating, Anthony. Could we get to the point please?”

“It’s Perry- Thomas Perry.” Chloe is stunned. She had assumed it was Lionel. It was almost always Lionel or something to do with him, wasn’t it? She watches Lex carefully but she sees no evidence of relief or anger. He curls his lip delicately in disgust when he hears the name. Lex had wormed a very lucrative contract out from under Perry’s thumb, leaving the electronics mogul in a very vulnerable place. Perry had needed that defense contract to convince his board of directors he was not running the company into the ground. When he lost the deal, they dumped him from his own company and now Luthorcorp was on the verge of buying it all. Chloe was constantly amazed at the precarious nature of big business. It was a wonder anything ever got done at all with the dramas being enacted in and out of boardrooms.

“He contracted with some Russians for your pick-up. The idea was to grab you, find out how you got the information, and then make it look like a random robbery gone wrong.” It’s Anthony’s turn to look disgusted, “Stupid fucking Russians.” He throws Lex a large manila envelope. Lex catches it deftly, slides the papers out, and starts to flip through them rapidly. “They’re still looking for you.” Anthony tells him grimly, glancing quickly at Chloe, “the strawberry too. They’ve been everywhere, asking questions, flashing money around. You can’t come here again.”

Lex nods absently as he reads.

“What are you going to do?” Anthony asks when Lex looks up finally. The smile Lex gives him is chilling.

“I’m going to teach Mr. Perry why it’s a good idea to lose gracefully.”

Anthony becomes his old self all at once, giving Lex an evil smile in return, “Good luck with that man.” Anthony stands, “C’mon, I’ll walk out with you.” Anthony holds the door for Chloe and when she walks through she has the distinct feeling he is looking at her ass.

They enter the small ante-chamber that is the VIP exit and entrance. The guard has changed from earlier and there are three instead of two. One approaches them and Anthony frowns, “K.S. you’re not on-“

Everything happens at once.

The man Anthony called K. S. pulls a knife and reaches for Lex. The two other guards run at them. Anthony pulls out a gun but a man barrels into him before he can use it. Meanwhile Lex is struggling with the man and his knife. The door behind Chloe bursts open and two more guys come pouring in. The room is too small for eight people to brawl in. Chloe doesn’t know who the good guys or the bad guys are anymore so she kicks and punches anyone who tries to get between her and Lex. She reaches him just as K.S. slashes at his shoulder. She sees Lex’s eyes go wide and she knows he has been cut. The man with the knife pulls back to stab again- he crumples to the floor. Anthony is standing behind his body, panting.

“Go!” He snaps. Chloe takes Lex’s arm and hustles him out the door.

They are a block away when Chloe stops, pushes Lex against a wall.

“Let me see.” The wound is ragged and ugly, bleeding profusely. She has never seen anything like it. Chloe knows a lot more about head trauma then knife wounds. She’s never been knifed. There’s no way they can take a taxi with him bleeding like that. Lex bunches up the material of his jacket at the shoulder and presses it to the injury. He doesn’t hiss or wince but his face is very grim. He seems more angry than in pain. He is looking very intently at Chloe’s face. She raises her hand and winces at the bruise she can feel forming under her eye. She doesn’t even remember getting hit.

“Thomas Perry-.” He can’t even finish the sentence but he doesn’t need too. Chloe can see his face. She shivers.

“C’mon.” She says. The walk is long and cold. If Lex wasn’t bleeding they could have sauntered up the street, straight to the apartment and no one would have noticed them, probably. But he is bleeding and so they keep to the shadows and the back alleys. They have to go down five blacks to cross the street at a spot that isn’t so brightly lit. Lex is so silent and grim, Chloe can’t tell if he’s okay or not. He is walking rather slowly but that maybe to avoid jostling his shoulder. She asks him a question. She’ll know better if she hears his voice, “What did you do for Anthony that he owes you so big?”

He glances over at her. In the faint light of the street lamps she glows. “I saved his sister’s life.”

Chloe feels her eyebrows rise. “How?” She asks.

“She was drunk, in the parking lot at the club. She and Anthony had just had a very heated argument and she wouldn’t let anybody walk her out. Three guys found her puking beside her car and thought they’d have a little fun. It was an accident that I arrived when I did.” If he had been capable of it at that moment he would have shrugged. “Anthony was very grateful. His people take family very seriously.” His voice is casual and Chloe rolls her eyes. Of course, he took on three guys to defend the virtue of a girl he didn’t even know- not a big deal but ask him what his favorite cereal is and he’ll glare at you and refuse to answer for ten minutes. Lex stumbles a little suddenly and Chloe is instantly at his elbow. His face is much paler than it should be.

By the time they reach the apartment building Lex is leaning on her. Chloe doesn’t ask him anymore questions, afraid they will require too much energy from both of them. He is heavier than his slender frame would suggest. Before they enter the lobby, she slides her arm around his waist and tries to make it look like they are any young couple coming in from a night on the town that can’t get enough of each other. She keeps Lex’s body turned away from the guard behind the desk as they approach the elevators.

Inside the elevator, Lex leans against the wall with his head tilted back. He breathes slowly and deliberately. The pain is intense. He has been stabbed deeper but this longer, shallower cut seems to hurt worse and he knows he is losing a lot of blood. Just keep breathing, he tells himself. Stay awake. He looks at Chloe. She is as pale as he is, although the bruise on her face probably makes it seem worse than it is. That bruise. Thomas Perry is going to be so sorry for that bruise. The elevator stops but Lex can’t remember what is supposed to happen now. Chloe takes his undamaged arm gently and leads him down the hall.

At the door she asks him, “Where are the keys, Lex?”

Is she trying to use his mind control voodoo on him now? He smiles a little. “Left front pocket.”

The side of the injured arm. Chloe takes a deep breath and slides around in front of him. There is not a lot of space between his body and the door but she doesn’t want to ask him to step back in case he falls over. She slips one hand into the pocket and he makes a small noise she forces herself to ignore-this isn't the time- and pulls out the keys. She turns between them and moves to open the door. Lex leans against her back.

Chloe manages through sheer strength of will to get him to the couch and then runs back to shut the door. Lex is slumped against the leather, his head leaning back again.

“Lex.” She says. She needs to see his eyes. And again sharper this time, “Lex!”

He opens his eyes, looks at her.

“I need your help.” She tells him, “I don’t know what to do about knife wounds.” Her voice is quavering a little and she clenches her jaw. She will be okay. She has to be okay for Lex.

“Unwrap it.” He tells her. Chloe pulls his hand back away from where it is pressing into his shoulder. She has to help him untangle his fingers from the jacket, he has been holding on so tight. She pulls him forward gently to try to ease the jacket off of him buts he winces visibly. “Scissors might be better.” He suggests. Chloe nods and runs in to the kitchen for a pair. Lex feels a momentary pang at the thought of losing the stolen jacket. It’s ugly as sin but it's the most comfortable he has ever owned. He’ll have to buy another one when all this is over. Chloe must know where they sell them.

Chloe cuts the jacket free and he sees her stop abruptly, frozen in place. She is staring at the wound, at the blood soaked cloth of his shirt. She begins to shake. She is starting to panic. Lex can see it quite clearly even through the pain. He draws a deep breath.

“Chloe,” he says softly. She looks up and he holds her eyes deliberately. “Chloe, I need you-“ He needs her. His mind swims. He needs her. . . She is still watching him, mesmerized. The moment stretches.

“I need you to get me a clean towel. . . “ he gives her instructions and she follows them. Holds herself together admirably. Cleans and bandages the wound. Brings him water and Tylenol with codeine. She hardly cries at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night in bed, Chloe crosses the invisible barrier that has existed between them, pressing her chest against his back, an arm around his waist, her leg comfortably nestled between his. Lex knows he should push her away, cut into her, send her running- but he’s so tired. And when she holds him his shoulder doesn’t hurt so much. So he allows it. He is too exhausted to fight anything, anymore.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was an exciting update!

I like that Lex isn't afraid to let Chloe help him, and I like the image of Chloe holding Lex while he sleeps--Very sweet.

Now, tracyaching, I'm worried about your schoolwork--I'm loving this story, but I don't want you to neglect your studies.

Oh man, when did I become an adult?!

This story completely rocks.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Bruce's Favorite Stalker

The chapter before this was incredible of course, and the beginning with Lex's thoughts on Chloe and her mother mirroring those of his and his own mother were beautifully done and wonderful, considering I've always thought that was what made them so right for each other-- the fact that they connect on that sort of level. *sighs* and I did hate where you ended it, but lucky for me I didn't get to read until today and there was already a chapter waiting for me...

That night in bed, Chloe crosses the invisible barrier that has existed between them, pressing her chest against his back, an arm around his waist, her leg comfortably nestled between his. Lex knows he should push her away, cut into her, send her running- but he’s so tired. And when she holds him his shoulder doesn’t hurt so much. So he allows it. He is too exhausted to fight anything, anymore.
    Wonderful, truly amazing. Chloe's strong when she wants to be weak, but at the end of the day she is always there to comfort Lex and the thing that always amazes me is that he lets her. Beautiful ending, I can't wait until the next update.
    "I think the whole glory of writing lies in the fact that it forces us out of ourselves and into the lives of others."
    ~ Anderson Sherwood

Beautiful chapter. You carried the intensity very well. Loved them fighting and helping each other. Last paragraph was perfect. Can't wait for more.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information