+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 9/6/05

Re: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 8/17

Loved it, and I kindof like the fact the man crumbled to say himself in the eyes of his granddaughter. I am so glad that Lex finally took the initiative. I never understand people who think that the hurt of rejection is worse than the pain of going without and never knowing. LOVED IT!!! More.

Crap, yep their in some truble all right can't wait to see what Lex comes up with to get them out of it. Loved them getting over their fears.

Mrs Dean Winchester Senior Member pipersmum's Avatar

Red face Re: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 8/17

Wow can't believe i have only just found this and you are on the last part already
    Really enjoying this story something that made me chuckle was
    She turned suddenly and caught sight of him in the doorway and gave a surprised little shriek.
    “God, somebody needs to put a bell collar on you or something,” She was blushing a little. He ignored the remark and helped himself to some coffee.

So glad Lex is not letting Chloe go and what is Lionel upto?????
    Please update soon

I started reading this story a couple of hours ago and now I'm one of the many
    waiting for the next part! Great work!

He takes a deep breath but meets her eyes, “I see a fierce beautiful woman hiding in the dark, afraid that no one will ever see her true self or care enough to come looking for it.” His gaze is inescapable and he touches her face on the cheekbone just below her eye with one trembling hand, “I see someone just like me.”
    Aww, so sweet.

Lex goes cold all over and though he knows with absolute and terrible certainty he forces himself to ask, “Who? Who could take over LexCorp?”

Perry gives him a strange look, “Your father.”

They are in terrible danger.
    Uh. Oh.

Wonderful update, I can't wait for the last part.

Nerd-bitch

A/N: Well, here it is- last part. Thank-you so much to all you lovely fic readers out there who took the time to FB for a nervous new writer. Couldn't have done it without you! I hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it. I left the end pretty open, what do you guys think- sequel or no?

Chap. 10, Part 2-
    Studying Lex’s face Perry smiles viciously before letting out a bitterly satisfied laugh. “You didn’t know.” Another laugh, “It’s almost worth it. How do you think my people knew to look for you at that particular club?”

Lex holds himself in check through sheer will power. When his gaze falls back onto Perry’s face, the old man flinches visibly. Then he leans back in his chair as though it never happened and his insolent smile widens, “It seems to me that the situation has changed somewhat, Lex. I-“ Before he can say another word, Lex reaches down and grips the business man brutally by two very sensitive little orbs- and twists. Perry’s eyes go wide with horror and he gasps with the pain. The move is so crude but Lex doesn’t have a lot of choices at this point. Chloe is on the floor all alone and they are both trapped in his father’s stronghold.

Lex leans down so he is only a few inches from the other man’s face. He says in a quiet, intimate voice, his eyes boring into Perry’s,

“Do you think my father is a dangerous man, Mr. Perry? Ask yourself, what kind of man uses his hated business rival and his own son against each other? What kind of a man would put his own son’s life in danger for the sake of profit? A ruthless and amoral despot, perhaps?” Perry doesn’t answer in words but his expression is a clear reply. With great deliberation, Lex says, “Imagine what kind of a son he raised.”

Letting go abruptly, Lex straightens calmly, almost casually. Perry is grey faced and shaking. He’s a long way from the rough and tumble youth he is so proud of and it is obvious his position has just become clear to him. He is trapped between two angry titans and there is no escape.

Lex regards him quietly for a moment before speaking. “Now, you are going to go down to the ballroom and get your wife. The two of you will drive over to my lawyer’s office on Chestnut Street. Jessica will stay here with Ms. Sullivan and myself. She will not be harmed physically but if I don’t hear from my lawyer in the next forty-five minutes that you have sold me your stock at the price I have dictated, I will do exactly as I threatened.” This is a lie actually. Lex lost his cell phone the night they were kidnapped and in forty five minutes he will be too busy dealing with reporters to take any phone calls anyway but Perry doesn’t know that. As long as he believes the call will be made, he will do as Lex wishes. Lex twists the knife a little, “Imagine how much more damaging it will be for Jessica to face the knowledge of your crimes and the cameras alone.”

Lex doesn’t wait for Perry to agree. He had seen the older man break the minute he realized that Lex was truly his father’s son. Lex can taste something bitter in his mouth but he ignores it. Using the conference phone on the table he makes the call to one of his numerous lawyers- at home but Lex pays enough money for them he should be able to demand their attendance on his whims in the afterlife. When the arrangements have been made, Lex turns back to Perry, “Are you ready?”

Perry nods. He is pale and shaken and he looks truly old for the first time. Lex feels no satisfaction in seeing his enemy broken before him. His father is the real monster- always. And Perry is just another pawn. If he could he might let the other man go but there is only one way to protect Chloe at this point and that is to make sure she never knows that Lionel was involved. And so he has to stick to the plan- or seem to. Lex feels distinctly disquieted by the idea of trying to deceive Chloe, even for her own good. She deserves better- and he’s not entirely sure he can do it successfully. She sees so much. He shakes the thought off. He can do whatever he has to, to keep her safe.

He gives Perry a few last minute instructions, “Find your wife and leave. Do NOT approach Jessica.” The older man looks so weary and afraid Lex finds himself offering a small assurance, “I will see that she gets home safely. You have my word.” Perry nods and stands stiffly. He regards Lex quietly for a moment. His expression is a strange mixture of fascination and fear. Lex raises an eyebrow.

Perry shakes his head, “He has no idea what he has made.”

No, Lex thinks, he doesn’t.

On the floor, Chloe chats amiably with Jessica Heath. It’s easier and harder than she thought it would be- because Jessica is genuinely . . . nice. They have been amusing themselves for the last forty-five minutes by making fun of the other guests and eating the best hors d’ overs off the buffet table. Jessica has grown up rich but she’s not too spoiled and she has a great sense of humor. Chloe is shamed by the knowledge that she has helped to make the other girl a pawn. But like most reporters’ Chloe is a realist. Perry most likely would have had her killed the night of the kidnapping and if all goes well Jessica will never know what really happened here tonight. It is an ugly necessity.

And Lex is counting on her. Chloe would rather die than let him down.

At a quarter to midnight Chloe is actually shaking with nerves. Jessica snags two glasses of champagne off a passing tray and with a wink offers her one. Chloe accepts it gratefully. Things are going to start happening soon and it takes all of Chloe’s willpower not to look around for Lex.

The lights go down suddenly and exactly five seconds later a spotlight kicks on to illuminate the podium. The crowd murmurs a little at the drama and Chloe makes a delicate sound of disgust. Jessica giggles. Chloe has developed a passionate dislike of dark crowded rooms. When Lionel steps up to the podium, she hides her discomfort by leaning over to Jessica and whispering, “I wish he’d get a haircut. He looks like he’s trying to get a job posing for the cover of a bad romance novel.” Chloe hears the other girl smoother a hasty laugh.

Chloe studies Lionel with disgust as he makes charming jokes and talks about the importance of charity. For all he knows, Lex’s body is lying in a ditch somewhere but Lionel looks as smug and superior as ever. She’s glad suddenly that she agreed to Lex’s plan. Lionel deserves to be punished- if only for his terrible neglect of his own son. He doesn’t deserve Lex.

Jessica moves forward a few steps to get a better look at someone on the platform and Chloe stays where she is for the moment. Watching the other girl with one eye, she scans the crowd hastily. Where is Lex, anyway?

She feels a warm grip enclose her hand and she smiles without turning. Lex steps up until his chest is pressing against her back. He murmurs into her ear, “Did you miss me?”

She can’t help herself. Her smile turns teasing, “Not really.” She whispers back, “There are a lot of eligible billionaires here tonight. I may start a collection.”

Lex slips an arm around her waist, pulling her more firmly against him and actually growls into her ear. It is arguably the most inappropriate time and place possible but Chloe shivers a little in his arms. She slides her hand over his hand where it rests on her stomach and squeezes gently. “Of course,” she adds, “none of them have your incredibly sexy bald head.”

Lex experiences a low warm sensation. She thinks his head is sexy. He holds her closely for a moment, enjoying the warmth of her body and the curve of her hip under his hand. For a moment his father’s betrayal means nothing and the world falls away. Then he remembers where they are. He kisses Chloe quickly at the base of her neck and steps in front of her, “Come on.” He tugs gently at her hand and begins to push through the crowd toward the podium where Lionel is wrapping up his little speech.

Oh god, here they go. This is the part Chloe has been dreading. In less than a minute every person in the room will be staring at the two of them. The idea would be completely paralyzing if Lex wasn’t be her side. Chloe thinks she hears Jessica’s voice raised in a question but it’s too late to reassure the other girl or to explain. As they approach the dais, people are parting before them- too intent on what is happening at the front of the room to worry about two rude people who seem to be jostling for a better position. Glittering and nightmarish faces pass through Chloe’s vision. Though there is no logical reason to be afraid, she waits for hands to reach out and grab them both. Lex pulls off his pirate hat and throws it casually back into the crowd. Chloe slides her fingers under the edge of her mask and when they reach the steps to the platform Lex lets go of her hand. She understands why but it still hurts a little. Hello again world, Chloe thinks as, mirroring Lex she pulls her mask off.

A protest dying in his throat, the security guard on the steps moves aside hastily when he sees Lex’s face. The noise from the crowd grows louder as someone sees Lex and Chloe step onto the dais. Lionel has just finished his speech but there is no applause and Chloe can see him frowning in confusion. He turns, following the attention of the crowd and his eyes land on his son. Chloe can feel the tension in Lex as sharply as though it was her own. He is as still and rigid as a mountain in front of her. Lionel’s expression as he looks at Lex is unreadable. There is something strange in Lionel’s face, something almost angry. Chloe wishes she could see Lex’s face. She wishes she could touch him. Then Lionel moves, crossing the platform rapidly to embrace his son.

The audience breaks into spontaneous and confused applause.

Chloe stands stony-faced a few feet behind the two embracing Luthor’s. She is torn between her urge to kick Lionel for his self-serving hypocrisy and the need to weep because they are back in the world now and all she wants to do is throw her arms around her own father. Pulling back from Lex, Lionel asks a few rapid questions Chloe can’t hear. Lex shakes his head and smiles a smile Chloe knows to be false. Lex turns toward the crowd and every reporter in the room rushes forward, their arms waving wildly as they shout questions.

Chloe and Lex are seated quickly and the charity ball becomes an impromptu press conference just as Lex predicted. But they are alive. They are safe.

Chloe is too relieved and weary all of a sudden to deal well with questions and she delivers the answers she and Lex agreed upon as well as she can. It seems impossible that it is almost over. Lex handles most of the inquiries, telling their convenient lies and siphoning attention away from Chloe with so much charm no thinks to question his replies. Watching him, Chloe feels a small pain. He is sitting right next to her but he seems a thousand miles away. They are separated again by his persona. The crowd before them becomes a confused sea of camera flashes and voices. Just when she starts to think she can’t take anymore Lex calls an end to barrage, stating the need to speak to the police and re-unite Chloe with her father. He takes one more question from a young man Chloe recognizes as a staff writer from The Inquisitor.

“Mr. Luthor-“ The young reporter begins, “this week you’ve disappeared, been presumed dead, crashed a major charity event, rescued a damsel in distress and then reappeared to society. Any big plans for this weekend?” When the laughter at this somewhat fascias question fades, Lex smiles a little. Under the table where no one can see, he presses his knee very deliberately into Chloe’s and says into the microphone, “I thought I might go dancing.”

On the inside where no one else can see, Chloe smiles brilliantly.

-The End-

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Two Sides of the Coin (PG 13/R) Update 9/6/05

Tracy, this was a superb ending, but of course I want a sequel.

I'm glad that Lex and Chloe are safe, but I can't help but feel that Lionel needs to feel some pain, Chlex style!

This was a beautifully romantic, and suspenseful story, and I'm sorry that it had to end.--WELL DONE!
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Oh, I'm kinda sad its over but I loved the ending and its just crying out for a sequel!!!

Come On you know you want to write a sequel!!!

Great fic...Well done on finishing it!

Kimmie

Awe, such a lovely story! I'm really sad to see it end but as they say; "all good things must come to an end."

Lex's Devoted Love Slave darkangel's Avatar

Lovely ending.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information