+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rules of Enmity: NC17

Re: The Rules of Enmity: NC17*chp 33 & 34 now up!!!!

Chloe is quite the quick thinker, good for her...she got herself out of a pretty sticky situation with help from the nurse of course. This story always has some good action going on Now what's going to happen with Chloe and Lex? I can't wait to see. Great update!

Steph*

NS Full Member

This is a great fic, I'm glad that I have taken the time to read it, as I have enjoyed every chapter. I love the humour that you have put into Chloe and Lex's relationship, it really is quite different to the fics that I have read before.

I look forward to your next update!

Kerry

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Excellent update, Zelda!

Chloe is so awesome--of course she was one step ahead of the the bad guy. And I liked that Lex showed up at the hospital because he knew that something was wrong.

And I'm loving the return of Det. Riley
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Junior Member

Great update...poor Chloe just can't seem to stay out of the hospital.

The last lines were such nice Chlex interaction.

Two superheros in the house and someone still gets hurt!!
    Chloe drew a question mark on the paper. He smiled for real. “I married her.”
    “You must be a smart man.” They both turned to see Lex, looking slightly disheveled and out of breath.
    So sweet

“I was already on my way, he didn’t get a chance to tell me the details, but for once, I think I can wait till I hear it from the horse’s mouth.” Chloe didn’t answer but stuck up her middle finger at him. “Shouldn’t she be sedated or something?” Verbal judo without talking!!

Wonderful updates!!!
    Even an evening out turns out to be a nightmare, but I'm glad Chloe got help and nothing more serious could happen to her!!!

hee, hee, loved the last line! very good story. thanks for sharing with the class.

That was fantastic, I loved the fire scene, and am always up for a little Bruce Wayne. =) So glad that Chloe wasn't the one in that bed. Can't wait for a little reconcilement time. This is such a great and interesting story.

Inhalation of burning chemicals was a serious enough injury for Chloe to remain in the hospital for two days. The doctors didn’t want to take a chance on something irritating her throat and lungs and making it difficult for her to breathe. Dr. Tanner was being uncooperative and she’d had to undergo tests to make certain that none of the chemicals used were poisonous. Detective Riley stopped by to update her on the investigation; a smoking gun like attempted asphyxiation couldn’t tie him to the fire; since there was no clear motive for his attack on her. They had Bobby’s confession but no hard evidence. Andrew, the Dr.’s son, had vanished along with Bobby.

Chloe was resting and enjoying the effects of her painkillers when she had visitors. She looked up from the spot on the wall she’d been gazing at to see a large frame in the doorway. She blinked a few times to focus and smiled at the dark-haired man and waved him in.

"I hope I’m not disturbing you, Miss Sullivan," he said. She shook her head and gestured to the chair beside the bed. Talking was possible, but painful so she did as little of it as possible. "I’m an associate of Lex Luthor’s he continued, with a small smile. Chloe held up her hand.

"Mr. Wayne," she rasped with a nod. Clearing her throat painfully, she reached for the glass of ice water on her tray and pulled her laptop close. She couldn’t use the internet here, but she could type faster than she could write so she’d cajoled the staff into letting her have it. She opened it up and tilted it so he could see the screen.

"Call me Bruce," he said, pulling his chair a little closer. "I’m meeting Lex shortly and I knew he’d be stopping in so I thought I would check on you before he gets here. We didn’t meet at the party, but I was there when the fire started and wanted to share my good wishes for a quick recovery."

Chloe’s lips quirked at the corners and she hastily began typing. He read over her shoulder: ‘A very kind gesture for a stranger.’

Bruce cleared his throat. "How is the investigation going?" She gave him a brief version of what she’d been told by Riley. "Do you think you’ll be able to help them? I mean, do you remember anything?"

Yes.’ She watched him but his features didn’t change from politely concerned. ‘I went to the balcony when Dr. Tanner locked me out there. I saw him through the window and he saw me.’

"You’re certain?"

He gave me the finger.’

"Guess that qualifies," he said with a shrug. "How did you get down?"

I didn’t, I got up. There was no way to climb down but there was a way to climb up. I didn’t think the fire was that close to the other side of the building when I went up to the next balcony.’

"Did you try shouting?" Chloe gave him a look. He shrugged. "Some people panic in a situation like that."

I panickedwhen I couldn’t breathe,’ she continued to type. ‘I was ready to jump off the balcony in order to get some fresh air.’

"It sounds like there was some pretty nasty stuff burning." They looked at each other for a few moments and she typed a single word:

How?’

"How what?"

"Bruce?" Lex stood in the doorway to the hospital room. "What’re you doing here?"

Bruce started to say something but Chloe placed her hand on his arm and shook her head.

"I thought I would check on your friend before our meeting. I knew you’d be here."

"And how is our patient?" Lex smiled at Chloe who shrugged. She casually placed her finger on the Delete key and her words erased themselves.

Nothing has shown up yet in my system to indicate that the chemicals will have a lasting effect.’ She typed as Lex came over to read. Bruce made a small sound that was akin to relief. She spared him a split-second glance.

"I’ve got some people out looking for the Tanners and Bobby…what’s his last name, anyway?" lex looked at her.

Doesn’t have one. He dropped it.’ She shrugged. ‘I guess he’s a Cher fan.’
    "So it’s just…Bobby?" She nodded in response. "That’ll be interesting. He turned to Bruce, "I’m satisfied that she’s feeling well. Are you ready?" Bruce nodded and they both said goodbye. Chloe practically rolled her eyes when Bruce quietly set down his briefcase just inside the door of her room.

Lex walked to the elevator and asked his friend where he wanted to have lunch. The doors opened and Bruce named a restaurant. Lex agreed and stepped onto the elevator. Smoothly, Bruce stepped just before the doors closed.

"Forgot my briefcase, meet you downstairs." The doors shut before Lex could react.

Chloe was sitting up with her hands folded across her middle when he walked back in the door with his excuse. She pursed her lips and glared in annoyance.

"I really don’t care what you do in Gotham City," she whispered. "Don’t ask me how I know, because if I don’t get answers, neither do you." He looked her in the eye. She nodded to the door and he picked up his briefcase.

"I have no idea what you’re talking about; I’m just going to assume it’s the result of the medication you’re on. I hope you feel better, Miss Sullivan." He walked to the door but stopped briefly in the doorway when she spoke.

"It’s Chloe." He didn’t turn around but nodded and left.

Lois stopped in with her father. Sam Lane was his usual gruff self but kissed his niece and gave her a small pot of Violas. He left without Lois who chatted to her silent audience about work, caped superheroes, her dorky partner, and her deadlines.

As if summoned by the mention of his name, Clark stuck his head in the door. He looked relieved to see Lois and held out a ragged arrangement of tulips with one hand and held a vase in the other.

"Where did you get that arrangement?" Lois asked, eyeing the dirty stems. "Metropolis Horticultural academy for the blind?"

"No," Clark said, brushing past her to the small sink where he began filling the lovely ceramic, painted, vase with water. He placed the flowers in the water, haphazardly. Lois took pity on him and rinsed and clipped the stems, using a small knife from her key chain. In a few minutes she managed to make an agreeable arrangement. "You’re nothing if not resourceful," Clark mumbled, pushing his glasses up his nose. He pushed his shoulder into the corner, Chloe recognized the gesture as his unconscious attempt to appear to take up less space.

"You know," Lois continued, placing the vase on Chloe’s table, next to her laptop, "the flowers look pretty nice when they’re cleaned up a little." She raised an eyebrow. "Pretty vase." Lois made her exit, reminding Clark about his deadline and left them alone.

Chloe reached out and touched the vase, it was a hand-painted piece of good quality. It had a landscape with fields of tiny tulips, a windmill, and a sunset. Taking a sip of water, she spoke carefully.

"How did you get them here without crushing them?"

"In a box," he replied. "They don’t tend to withstand high airspeeds unprotected." He cleared his throat. "They used to be your favorites."
    "They still are, but there’s a florist that sells them in the hospital."

"Way overpriced," Clark scoffed. "I got these for free, I picked them after I offered to help an older lady move some heavy furniture."

"Didn’t know you spoke Dutch. Was that lady an artist?"

"She happened to have some lovely vases for sale." He had the familiar innocent gleam in his eye. Then he removed his glasses and walked to her bedside. "I left because I didn’t want to talk to you."

"I know."

"I had no idea anything was going to happen."

"Premonitions have never been your strong suit." She cleared her throat again and picked up the spray that helped to numb the swelling."

"Does it hurt to talk?" he asked. She nodded. "I’m sorry."

"You can’t be there every second, Clark. And you didn’t set the fire."

"I know," he said, sitting on the edge of her bed. She pulled her feet up to give him room. He looked extremely uncomfortable. "If I hadn’t chickened out and stuck around to talk to you, I could’ve prevented this, maybe even caught Dr. Tanner."

"I still don’t know why he decided to set a fire at a charity ball."

"Probably to cover something else up." She shrugged. "I’m going to try and leave it to the cops this time."

"I’ll keep my ears open."

"Thanks."

Clark stood up and put his glasses back on. He nodded awkwardly and patted her knee. Then he left and Chloe looked back at the tulips that he’d flown in from Holland. Even with the box, they’d gotten a little mussed. It was the gesture he wanted her to see. Going all the way to another country for flowers he could have purchased around the corner. And it was with no more effort. She’d ceased seeing his grand gestures as remarkable. With his gifts, it took little thought and trouble to do so many things. She admired and pitied him the burden he carried, but she wasn’t a fool anymore.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: The Rules of Enmity: NC17*chp 35 4/9/06

Great update, Zelda!

I liked all the conversations in this chapter: Cnloe/Bruce, and Chloe/Clark being the two best

I did like how Lois and her dad stopped by to check on Chloe--she needs what's left of her family around her--even if she doesn't want to admit it.

And it's always great to see Lex
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information