+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Sonnet Series - Part 3 - Debris - PG - 04/03/07

Re: Broken Sonnet Series - Part 2 - I Bruise Easily

A/N: Here you go people! As promised, this is 2/3 of I Bruise Easily

Disclaimers in 1/3

~*~*~*~*~*~

Chloe ducked her head as soon as she saw Lex round the counter and start up the stairs. She couldn't stand the irony of the song's lyrics.

'I'd love the song if only it didn't speak so much about me. Lonely, broken girl, indeed! I'm gonna smack Peggy---as soon as I hear Lex close Lana's door.'

As the song's chorus peaked, Chloe heard someone clear his throat.

'Great. Peggy saved me the hassle of storming over and wringing her neck at the counter.'

She jerked her head up as soon as she heard that someone bang something down on her table. The overhead lights affected her sight for a moment as she tried to focus.

"Miss Sullivan."

Chloe gulped. Only one man could say her name and make her swoon and get riled up at the same time.

"Lex," she said automatically.

Realizing her faux pas, she amended, "I mean, Mr. Luthor."

Chloe faced Lex but wouldn't meet his eyes.

Lex inwardly flinched at the formality, but simply nodded and sat down on the chair opposite Chloe.

'She's professional---again,' he thought as a familiar scene flashed in his mind of them bantering about a movie last summer.

"Tap on my window

Knock on my door

I want to make you feel beautiful"

As he took in the cuts and developing bruises on her cheeks, he can't help but be disgusted with himself. 'How could I have done this to her?'

Lex gestured to her face, "You should put some ice on those bruises." Scars. More scars.

Chloe bobbed her head, "I did---I will---yeah, sure."

And continued to do so as if it would delay the inevitable questions.

Lex took a sip of his coffee and drummed his fingers on the table; his own version of stalling.

"So---um---how are you feeling?" said Chloe, finally breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"I'm all right. Back in one piece."

Chloe didn't seem notice as she went back to her head-bobbing and looked away, pursing her lips.

"So you are," she replied softly.

Lex got tired of beating around the bush. He rested his elbow on the table and leaned over.

"I'm sorry, Chloe---for whatever Alexander---"

Chloe whipped her head back and glared at him as he mentioned Alexander.

"Are you sure?" she asked quietly, but her eyes told a different story. They brimmed with angry tears.

"I know I tend to get so insecure

Doesn't matter anymore"

Lex swallowed hard. Her attack was so subtle; it felt like an invisible rapier had swiped at his throat. He was ready to take on a Chloe in full rant-mode. He had been expecting an outburst, a snarl, anything, goddamit! He'd rather take on a dozen Lana-loving meteor freaks than face off with this side of Chloe.

Chloe took his hesitation as her answer. "I thought so."

She wearily stood up, both hands on the table to support her. As she moved to slide out of the booth, Lex slammed his hands on top of hers.

"No---" he looked up at Chloe, "I mean, yes. Yes, I am. Hear me out."

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies

It's compromise that moves us along"

Chloe yanked her hands from under Lex's and squared her shoulders as she sat down again.

"Explain," she muttered.

A wave of relief passed over Lex's eyes as he took a deep breath.

"I'm not going to make excuses or give reasons to justify my actions," he started.

"Your actions or Alexander's?" Chloe interjected.

His heart skipped a beat. 'Did I just say *my* actions? Yes. Right. My actions.'

"My heart is full and my door's always open

You come anytime you want"

Lex had paused, but not a moment too long. "Yes, my actions."

"So, you *prevented* Dr. Sinclair from reuniting the Lex and Alexander."

"Yes, but---"

"You arranged for a hydraulic chamber to fall and collapse on Clark and me, and pushed the button yourself," she interjected.

"Yes, Chloe," said Lex, fighting back a smirk.

This was the Chloe he was used to. This was the Chloe he enjoyed bantering with.

Though Chloe didn't notice the slight twitch of Lex's lips, she disappointed him nonetheless as she relaxed back in the booth and crossed her arms.

"I thought I knew you."

'This is getting out of hand. Must steer back to my point.'

Lex set his jaw. "Alexander is not the real me, Chloe. I wouldn't have pushed for those plans to proceed. You know me."

"Those *plans* needn't have pushed through. The mere fact that the thought crossed your mind and that you entertained it proves that Alexander has a firm, if not stronger, grip on your consciousness than Lex has," she argued. "How can you be sure that Alexander won't do an encore performance in the future?"

"Because I won't allow him to." he insisted. "Chloe, don't give up on me yet."

"I don't mind spending every day

Out on your corner in the pouring rain

Look for the girl with the broken smile

Ask her if she wants to stay a while"

"I'm past giving up, Lex. I just don't want to care anymore," replied Chloe wearily.

"Why must I always prove myself to you?" Lex suddenly lashed out.

"Why do you try so hard?" replied Chloe, unfazed by Lex's outburst.

"I just---," Lex sighed, "Chloe, stop shutting me out."

Chloe narrowed her eyes.

"Shutting you out?!" she hissed. "I testified against your father. I sacrificed my life to help you bring him down. I almost got killed. My father had to relocate to Grandville where he still can't find a decent 9-5 job. I recently helped you avoid a murder conviction," Chloe enumerated on her fingers.

"Now you're telling me to stop shutting you out?! You ignored me right after your father started sharing a bunk bed!" she spat out.

"Chloe---," Lex started.

"If you think that's the *Thank you* I deserved, then to hell with you!"

"And she will be loved

And she will be loved"

Chloe quickly slid out of the booth and bolted for the door, taking advantage of Lex's delayed reaction.

"Thanks, Peggy," she muttered as she passed the counter.

"Anytime, Chloe," Peggy replied softly.

'He obviously cares,' she thought. She had seen the drama unfold between Chloe and Lex. 'Please listen to him.'

"Dammit!" Lex cursed as he stood up and hurried after Chloe.

Chloe jogged to her car and rummaged for her keys in her purse.

"Shit!" she exclaimed when she couldn't find them.

Lex caught up with her and whirled her around to face him. "Chloe, wait---"

Chloe angrily waved away his hands.

"Chloe, stop it! Listen to me!" he snapped.

"Go. Away. Lex! I don't care anymore!" she yelled, still fighting off his hands.

At last, Lex secured his grip on her wrists, pulled her flush against his body and embraced her, trapping her arms between their chests. He pressed his forehead onto hers and nudged her head up. He felt her breath on the tip of his nose, their lips only millimeters apart.

"And she will be loved

And she will be loved"

"What are you doing?" she asked through gritted teeth. "Why talk to me now? After all those---"

"How could you not care anymore?" he butted in.

"Let me go, Lex."

"Answer me, Chloe!" a hint of desperation in Lex's voice. He was losing control, but he didn't give a damn anymore.

Chloe struggled and beat her fists on his chest. But this only made Lex hug her tighter.

"I know where you hide, alone in your car

Know all of the things that make you who you are"

"I'm not Alexander," Lex whispered as he closed his eyes. "I'm not Alexander," he chanted, silently wishing this would convince her.

Chloe opened her fists and let her fingers graze Lex's cheeks, planning to scratch if given the slightest provocation.

Lex opened his eyes as soon as he felt her touch.

"I'm Lex," he said, loosening his hold just a bit.

"Your Lex," he said huskily.

Chloe's breath hitched. "I don't think I ever had you!" she choked out.

Lex felt his jaw drop, as well as his hands from her back. Chloe stepped away, still keeping her arms glued to her chest.

"How could you say that? What about last summer?"

"You should ask yourself that first, Lex."

Chloe dug into her purse and finally fished out her keys. She glared at them before jamming the right key into the lock.

"Find me when you figure out why you ignored me for almost a year."

She was about to step in when she turned back to Lex. "You know what, scratch that. Just answer it for yourself. Let's just say that---," Chloe grinned evilly, "---Lana's story was really enlightening."

She simply laughed as Lex gaped at her. "Oh, don't look so horrified Lex."

She got in, started her car and shifted to first gear.

"If you think you were ever 'my Lex'," she sneered, "then you officially stopped being mine when you kissed Lana."

"I what?!" he cried out.

"Embrace your destiny, Alexander," she called out as she sped away and left a stunned Lex at the parking lot.

2/3

A/N2: Sorry for the cliffhanger!

Feedback = Life
    Last edited by teejei; 6th March 2007 at 04:01. Reason: fixing typos

Re: Broken Sonnet Series - Part 2 - I Bruise Easily - Updated *04/29/05*

I liked the ending. I can just see Lex standing there crushed with his mouth hanging open. Good for Chloe she should be lashing out, he ignored her after the summer then kinda kissed Lana. LANA! Of course i still hope for a happy Chlexy ending. After some beging on Lexes part for example.
    Great chapter

NS Full Member

Hey Teejei:

You know, when I read the ending,well, first I thought---Thank God I didn't watch the eppy. : ) Then all I could think was---you got guts, girl. And I have faith that all will come out well. Remember, guys, the best endings come from angst.

Tee, hope I didn't hit you too hard up the head, sweetie. If I did, I apologize and I offer compensation in a story I did for a good friend a while ago, in regards to Helen and where she ended up in.

hah! i knew it!

nobody liked the ending of 2/3 that's why there are no more feedback/comments.

it's ok. i'd be pissed myself if i read this.

back to the drawing board.

Addicted to Baby Luthors bluengreenswmer's Avatar

Re: Broken Sonnet Series - Part 2 - I Bruise Easily

Quote Originally Posted by teejei
    Feedback = Life
    Updates = Life

3/3 is still being polished.

*fighting back urge to skip confrontation/begging and plunge right into reconciliation make-out session...or even , for godssakes! if only i could pull it off...*

Lex still needs to prove himself. *sigh*

but really now, tell me...was 2/3 ok? kinda not sure if i did this right, though.

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

Re: Broken Sonnet Series – Part 1 – Reality Bites (PG13)

that is so sad please make a sequel where lex is sorry and makes it up to chloe and they live happly together.

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

more please make a sequel or something.

NS Full Member

Teejei:

Come on---big group hug for our fellow writer here. {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}
    Honey, you just shocked us into submission a bit. Me, kinda what WTF the first time I read it but I know it's going to have a happy ending---right?

Oh come on complete this, this is fantastic!!!!!!!! I can't wait for the next part

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information