Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Places We Have Been (NC-17)

NS Full Member

Re: Places We Have Been (NC-17) Part I, 4/10/05

W.O.W

love lea
    xxx

Dark, sullen, morose, beautiful, gloomy, penetrating, bittersweet...this was well written angst so that by itself makes it amazing...yeah, angst is my addiction . This story is all-around simply beautiful. I hope I mention everything I want to...that's one of the many things I loved - the length. Also I want to say that unfortunately, I don't have a way with words in the FB department. So, no matter how simple I make everything sound, I really think it's all amazing.

Many would say Lex is a mystery, indefinable. In all actuality he’s an open book, most people just never want to take the time to read it.
    It's always striking and memorable when a writer introduces a different perspective than everyone else. Everyone has there own style and there all wonderful. But you wrote Lex in a way that I have never thought of before, but regardless is a completely believable and understandable way. Lex doesn't have the need to hide what he is, generally speaking. He doesn't care what people think and therefore it's all out in the open. People believe him to be a mystery because they don't want to know about him.

It stings less than it used to, but the bite is still there sometimes, licking at his skin in the darkness of lonely nights when his bones are too tired to fuck the nameless brunette next to him in his satin sheets that some would say are as black as his soul.
    Lex isn't emotionless, who can be every single day of their life? I liked this because it just affirmed and reminded me that yes, Lex is still human and he's still capable of receiveing pain.

Lionel Luthor and his two sons meet once a month on Sunday for brunch, a habit that started somewhere between the first heart attack and the mild stroke that had followed. Lucas and Lex oblige because he’s still their father even if the term was used in the loosest sense of the meaning.
    Lionel has been such a big influence, almost the center, of Lex's life. No matter all that he has done, I don't think Lex can ever really be rid of his father, by some other force and by Lex's own choice. And, although Lionel was never really a father to Lucas, he made Lex suffer much more than Lucas can imagine- this was the reason for Lucas being there. I thought it was very fitting that you had them remain in contact with Lionel.

Lucas was bright and young, smiled carelessly with a wife and daughter, who looked at him adoringly, on his arm. Lex was still young by most standards, stunningly handsome with classic elegance, but alone with everything he could ever truly need, void of the only things he’d ever wanted. Still, after all these years, the love of a father is something he’s never known.
    I really enjoyed how different Lex and Lucas are. Lucas has a better life because partly he wasn't faced with Lionel's "particular brand of parenting" all his life like Lex has (hehe...I used a quote from the show!...well, part of a quote anyway). Lucas is what Lex might have been, in his own eyes he once believed that he could have been.

Were they friends? Lovers? Two people who occasionally slept together? The answer was yes, to all of the above, but slowly, over time, it had become more than that. Somewhere along the way, Chloe had become Lex Luthor’s best friend.
    I love that their relationship is like this right now...undefined. They both allowed themselves to become friends, best friends. They're there for each other and have no responsibilities towards each other.

Lionel looks pathetic, stricken with emotion, and for some reason Lex couldn’t find reason to gloat at this rare moment of vulnerability.
    Another part that jumped out at me...I liked how you didn't have Lex being cruel when he was given the opportunity. I think this action holds very true to his feelings. In Covenant, when Lex tells Lionel when he's going to prison that he "wouldn't have missed this for the world"...I felt that that was never what he wanted to say. It was like a child playing with the grown-ups and instantly gloating when they won something. I don't think Lex truly would ever want to permanently hurt Lionel because he is, after all, his father...and Lex still knows the feeling of wanting his love.

He sighs so deeply Lex knows she can feel it, they’re so close, Chloe sandwiched tightly between him and the wall and he can feel her ribs against his as he leans his forehead against hers. Looks into her eyes, “I need this,” he tells her, his voice husky with emotion, “Please, Chloe,” she narrows her eyes in concern, raises her hands to cup his face tenderly. When he speaks again his voice is choking, cracks embarrassingly, “I need this.”
    Lex refuses to kiss her, fears he may not be able to breathe if he does, so he nibbles on her neck, sinks his teeth in harshly and he hears her grunt and moan at the same time. And Chloe takes it, all of it, all of him, gives him this.
    This part about their relationship was great. Lex asks Chloes permissions to take what he needs. And when he gets his answer he holds nothing back...knowing that Chloe would do this for him, bear it all.

Lucas looks proud, happy, bursting to the brim with joy. Lex smiles a real smile for his brother, doesn’t object when Lucas pulls him into a hug, does the macho manly thing and slaps him on the back a couple of times. The situation warrants it and Lex follows suit.
    This was unexpected because in the middle of reading all this wonderful angst, I was like- wait, that's happiness right there. I love that you showed what kind of situations can make Lex smile genuinely.

I honestly loved everything. But there were two things that are very memorable. I really loved how Lex and Chloe were portrayed as being very similar. Lex told her what he felt on the anniversary of Lillian's death and let her take him to her grave. Chloe expressed her vulnerability about her father's situation when she was sitting at the piano. They are both equals in their lives and in their relationship. I just loved their similarities I kept on noticing. The other thing was the security Lex felt around Chloe reminding him of the same security he felt with his mother. This was such a beautiful view and way to put hope into the future of Lex and Chloe's relationship.

Bah...I'm done now . Hehe...now it's my turn to apologize for the length of this review. Err...I don't know what to say now...update this soon please. No, no...update 'Missing Pieces'....no, update...You know what, just update something please.

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar

Oh wow... I got teary-eyed by the end... I do hope you update soon...

i decided to read this twice before i replied. so now that i did, i just have to say that this is an excellent first part. you give away so much information in just a sentence or two and that is really powerful.

i like how this story is a narrative. it makes it flow really well and the timeline is fast, and i like that.

im very excited for chloe's pov, i cant wait!

more soon

randa

If I were to sit here and quote every single powerful line that really stroke a chord and made my heart break and my throat tightened, I don't there would be enough espace.

Though I love fluff, thare's something that just attracts me about angst pieces. And when they are so brilliant like this, it's impossible not to weep and feel conected to the characters and their feelings.

There is not one single thing I didn't love about this. All the relationships were perflectly wroted, even the small ones like Lionel with his granddaughter.A master peice.

I had never cry so much reading fics like I have on this board...

ChLex Schadenfreude Senior Member crankychick's Avatar

June, I had to read this twice tonight to make sure I got the rhythm and flow in my head. So bittersweet and poignant, but what really drew me in was the juxtaposition of Lex as the odd man out in the Luthor clan. He's seemingly become the obvious dysfunctional branch of a visually functional family unit.

She doesn’t ask who’s occupied his bed in her absence, she just changes the sheets.
    Knowing this is Lex's thought and seeing how notably unflorid the statement it, the regret sticks out.

Lionel is morose, his face looks worn and his hair is grayer than Lex ever remembered it being. He doesn’t look as full of life as he usually does, he looks… heartbroken almost. His eyes are red from the alcohol or maybe it’s from grief, he’s not sure, and Lex comes up beside him, closes the piano top and watches as his father leans foreword and rests his head against it.
    Yet it is only when Lionel is in the winter of his discontented life that Lex accepts his father's grief over the loss of Lillian so many years ago. Powerful visual, June - my favorite of this part.

You've got another winner on your hands, my friends, and call me a fish. I am hooked.

NS Full Member

Thumbs up Re: Places We Have Been (NC-17) Part I, 4/10/05

On its own, this is truly a beautiful story with regret and heartache.
    Will there be more? Perhaps Chloe's POV? If not, this is a great stand alone story.

Wow this was really amazing and so full of emotions! Please continue soon!

wow. oh wow. that shit was awesome.

totally stunned over here.

You know, I haven't been feeling very well lately.

And tonight I finally realized why. *eyes not-updated June fics on NS*

Help a girl out, June. Please *hopeful smile*

Reese

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information