+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Curse (NC-17)

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    A/N: Thank you so much for your reviews. They mean a lot to me. *smile*

Chapter 5
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning, Lex woke up and groggily rubbed his eyes with one hand, frowning in confusion when he realized that he still had his clothes on from the previous day. His head started throbbing with a fury and when he sat up he was overcome by an immense wave of nausea.

“Oh, God,” he moaned and rushed out of his bed toward the bathroom to throw up, not making it all the way there before it actually happened.

“Charming,” Lucas said sarcastically, seemingly appearing out of nowhere. He leaned against the open bedroom’s door frame and folded his arms across his chest. Lex stepped around the spew of vomit on the floor and went to the bathroom to splash his face with cold water and rinse out his mouth. Lucas followed him and couldn’t hide the enormously pleased smile that graced his lips. Lex turned around and shot what he thought was a scathing look at his brother. Lucas cringed, but not because of Lex’s expression. “Lookin’ a little green around the gills there, bro. Whatever it was that you took yesterday must’ve given you a hell of a hangover.”

“What do you want, Lucas?” Lex sickly rasped out, immediately regretting speaking at all as his own words echoed loudly through his already pounding head and he felt like he needed to throw up again.

“Dad wants to *talk* to you,” Lucas answered casually and then smirked at his older brother. “Three guesses as to why.”

Lex furrowed his brow, searching his brain for a possible reason to warrant a special lecture from his father first thing in the morning. His mind flitted through images and feelings from the day before and his eyes grew wide as if he were actually watching the scenes replay themselves right in front of him.

“Shit,” he said under his breath.

“Yep,” Lucas answered cheerfully. “It sucks to be you.”

Lex pushed past him and went over to his closet, searching for a change of clothes.

“Do we know what happened yet?” he asked. Lucas arched an inquiring eyebrow at him.

“Uh – ye-ah,” he strung out. “You took something, got doped out, attacked Chloe when she was trying to take you to your room, *and* you told me that I wasn’t pretty.” He made a mock hurt face and Lex ignored him, shaking his head.

“I didn’t take anything,” Lex said more to himself than to Lucas. His brother started laughing, unable to control the sheer evil joy that spread through his body with knowing that he was responsible for Lex’s predicament. Lex gave him a strange look and Lucas calmed down by clearing his throat.

“Sorry, but that didn’t come out quite as convincing as you’ll need it to if you’re going to say that to dad,” Lucas said. Lex seemed to be in his own world of thoughts again and didn’t immediately respond to what Lucas said. He changed his shirt and kicked off his pants before reaching for another pair.

“Is Chloe alright?” he finally asked. Lucas grinned.

“She’ll live,” he answered somewhat cryptically. “And live well.” Lex nodded.

“I’m sure the settlement will be quite hefty in her favor,” he said. Lucas creased his brow, but released it when he realized that he and Lex were talking about different things.

“She’s not pressing charges,” he told him. Lex looked at him with surprise.

“She’s not?”

“Nah. If anything, I think she felt sorry for you.”

“Great,” Lex mumbled sarcastically.

“Hey, it’s better than getting sued,” Lucas pointed out. “*That* would have really pissed dad off - and as it is ---”

“Where is he?” Lex interrupted.

“Dining room.”

Lex gave the younger man a curt nod and turned on his heel to leave the bedroom, never turning around to see the wide, wicked smile that had placed itself on his brother’s lips. He walked down the maze of hallways and stairs and sucked in a deep breath before entering the dining room where he saw his father seated.

“Dad,” he greeted, trying not to let any hesitation or emotion about what happened seep into his voice. Lionel looked up from his paper for a millisecond and then motioned to the chair across from him. Lex walked over and took a seat while Lionel folded the paper back up and laid it on the table. The expression in his dad’s eyes was easy to read and Lex inwardly winced.

“I was rather hoping that we wouldn’t need to have this conversation again in my lifetime,” Lionel started.

“It’s not what you think,” Lex argued.

“Oh?” Lionel asked. “And what is it that I think?” Lex sighed.

“You think I’m doing drugs – that for some reason I’ve reverted back to my old habits,” he replied. Lionel’s cool stare accompanied by an awkward pause made Lex squirm a little in his chair, though he did his best to hide it. “It’s not true. I didn’t take anything.”

“Then how do you explain your behavior yesterday?”

“I don’t know what to tell you, Dad.”

“If you’re going to bother to lie, then the least you could have done was come up with an excuse,” Lionel said dryly. Lionel picked up his fork and turned his attention to the plate in front of him.

“Believe what you want, but I’m not lying to you,” Lex stated with a tremendous amount of regained backbone. He was sick of never being good enough in his father’s eyes, and if his dad wasn’t going to believe him even when he was telling the truth, then maybe it wasn’t worth it.

“You’re extremely fortunate that Miss Sullivan is so forgiving,” Lionel said. “I, however, am not. I’ve requested that one of the security guards be with her at all times when she’s on the property – just in case you try to pull anything like that again.” Lex closed his eyes for a second and pinched the bridge of his nose. His headache was only getting worse and now he was being told that he wasn’t trusted to be anywhere near Chloe, the only person who he might have a chance in hell of convincing that he wasn’t taking drugs.

“You!” a female voice yelled accusingly. A strange tingle swept through Lex’s body. It was like what happened the previous day, only on a much, much smaller scale. He and Lionel both turned their heads and rose from their seats when they saw Chloe storming into the dining room, followed by a large man who Lex knew to usually be on the night watch for their security detail.

“Chloe, I ---”

“You gave Sean my number?!” Chloe asked, cutting Lex off and focusing her somewhat angry glare at Lionel. Lex looked surprised, but Lionel grinned at her.

“I didn’t think you’d mind,” Lionel answered.

“But ---”

“Chloe,” Lionel said in a placating voice, “He called and asked for it – and you like him. I didn’t see a problem.”

“You didn’t see a problem?” Chloe asked in disbelief. “He ---”

“You like him, yes?”

“That’s not the point,” she protested.

“Of course it is.”

“It’s not,” Chloe volleyed with a smile. Lionel could see that there was no real anger behind her words, but he humored her anyway.

Lex looked back and forth between them with a strange expression on his face, his body having a completely inappropriate response to their banter. He didn’t feel stoned as he had the previous day, but he was beginning to feel lightly intoxicated as they continued to argue. He shook his head to try and clear it, focusing on the people across from him instead.

“What are you two bickering about?” Lex asked. Chloe and Lionel both stopped talking and turned to face him. He watched as Chloe’s face went from somewhat amused to worried and concerned.

“Lex --- how are you feeling?” she asked. Lex kept his expression neutral as he nodded once.

“Better – thanks,” he answered, not even realizing that she had dodged his question. Chloe nodded and gave him a small smile. He was surprised to see her turn to face his father without asking him anymore about it or bringing up the fact that he basically owed her one for not going to the media with the story about how he latched onto her breast through her shirt with his mouth while he was stoned on something he didn’t knowingly take.

“So?” Chloe asked Lionel. Lionel smirked at her.

“I apologize,” he said, although his tone indicated the opposite. Chloe grinned victoriously and Lex blanched at the fact that his father, the man who never said he was sorry for anything, had just given Chloe Sullivan an apology. “Will you be going out with him?” Chloe’s grin spread into a smile and she let out a small, uncharacteristic giggle. Lex’s eyebrows rose and his mouth dropped open a little in shock. His dad was apologizing to Chloe and she was giggling? If those weren’t signs of the apocalypse right there, then he didn’t know what was.

“Yeah,” she answered. Lionel gave her a pleased smirk and Chloe shook her head a little, catching sight of the security guard who was standing off to her side. “By the way ---” she paused and motioned to the guard with her head, “What’s *that* about?”

“He’s just there for your protection,” Lionel said with a small shrug of his shoulders. Chloe gave him a pointed look.

“I distinctly remember telling you that I could take care of myself,” she said. Lionel grinned and Chloe rolled her eyes. “Fine. But if he tries to follow me home, then I’m getting one of Lana’s stalkers to dump his body in the woods.” Lex and Lionel both chuckled at her statement and she shook her head again before flashing a smile at Lionel. “I’ll see you later.”

“You’re not staying?” he asked.

“As much as I’d love to, the halls of Smallville High beckon – or at least the principal does,” she said. “I’ll be by after school though.” After Lionel nodded, Chloe walked over to Lex and gave him a sympathetic grin. “I know we’re not friends, but if anyone knows how much life can suck, it’s me. So – if you need to talk or whatever --- off the record, okay?” Lex felt one corner of his mouth lift ever so slightly with her words. Even if she did believe that he was taking drugs, and even after what he had done to her, she wasn’t condemning or judging him.

“Thanks.”

“No problem,” she said with a small smile and then turned around quickly to walk out of the dining room, waving goodbye with her hand high in the air as she left.

Lex grinned almost goofily as the tingle in his body evened out and he felt completely content. Lionel sat back down and steepled his fingers together as he eyed his son suspiciously.

‘Interesting.’

TBC…

Lionel seems to be noticing something...let's hope the game is not over that soon

Michelle
    Just a Guest!
    I know Lucas will be responsible for them getting together, but *damn* he is an asshole! He didn't intend this to help Chloe and Lex, he just wanted to fuck up Lex's life for no reason. Well, HAH! He's just made the "stupid" mistake of getting Lex together with the one person who can make him happy! So nyeh nyeh nyeh nyeh! But I like this, you can tell by their relationship now that this is gonna be one loooong fic, nice job!

Michelle.

NS Full Member
    *snort* See, I'm just waiting until Chloe finds out what Lucas has done, way down the line. I cannot wait for that rant. And Lionel being the first to notice. I wonder if he'll be helpful or try to keep Chloe as far from Lex as possible.

Blue

NS Senior Member Senior Member sydsvaughn's Avatar
    Hummm.. wonder what Lionel has in store. And you gotta love Lex in this one! I can't wait to see how this progresses and I have to tell you, I actually like how you're writing Chloe and Lionel's interaction. Great job and post more soon!

Sara

NightGlow
    Just a Guest!
    I hear you, Michelle! I can't stand Lucas either. I am, however, relishing the irony that his malignance is going to blow up in his face!
    And as for the image of Lex latching onto Chloe's breast... :goof: Priceless!
    Oddly enough, I rather like Lionel in this fic as of yet. But that doesn't mean I trust him. Who knows what's flitting around in that mind of his?

NS Full Member
    nice work!! smack Lucas for me tho...

: Sway

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    A/N: Yes, I’m aware that I should be updating TCMMOMM first so I can get to work on Beloved, but I kind of made a blackmail deal with Sabby and…well, I’m sure you can figure out the rest.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“I don’t know, I just think it would be weird,” Lana said, carrying her books against her chest as she walked down the school’s hallway with Chloe.

“It’s just a job, Lana. Just like your job at the Talon – except I don’t bring him coffee, his secretary does that,” Chloe said with a smile.

“Yeah, but working for *Lionel Luthor*,” Lana said and shook her head. “I don’t think *I* could do it.” Chloe barely resisted snorting.

‘I don’t think you could do it either,’ she thought. Lana was nice, and amazingly enough her friend now, but Chloe had to admit that she still looked down a little at her when it came to general intellect. She knew it was wrong, but on some level, there was a part of her that clung to it, screaming, ‘Mine!’ Lana could have the beauty and the adoration of everyone in the small little town they lived in, but intelligence was the thing that Chloe had over her and she knew it would serve her well once she could leave Smallville. She shook her head slightly as Lana rambled on about how creeped out Chloe must be working for a man like Lionel.

“I just ---” Lana trailed off and gave an overly dramatic shudder of her body. “I don’t know how you can do it.” Chloe let a small laugh escape her lips. She hadn’t intended on telling Lana about Sean, but it’s not like she could share the information with Pete or Clark.

“Let’s just say it has its advantages,” Chloe said. Lana’s eyebrows rose high and Chloe burst out in laughter. “Wow! Someone’s mind is in the gutter.”

“I ---”

“I met a guy – Sean – at one of Mr. Luthor’s meetings – and he called last night to ask me out,” Chloe explained. Lana’s eyes grew wide with excitement and a large smile beamed across her face.

“Chloe! Why didn’t you tell me?!” she screamed happily.

“Well, you know,” Chloe started, “you got back so late because you had to close last night, and there’s the whole ongoing weirdness that is our friend – or sort of friend, Clark.”

“Yeah, well,” Lana said and then her lips stopped moving as they straightened into thin lines, “Clark can be a jerk.” Chloe looked surprised by Lana’s comment and Lana immediately looked regretful. “Don’t get me wrong, because usually he’s great, but he has no right to be acting all possessive with either one of us and then turning both of us down at the same time.” Chloe nodded in agreement and then held her head up high, only catching a glimpse of an evil smile that had crept across Lana’s mouth. “Can I be the one to tell him?”

Both girls erupted in laughter and straggled into class, bumping against each other as the laughter racked through their bodies. Pete and Clark looked over from their assigned table and Pete smiled back at Clark.

“Looks like your girls are getting along,” he quipped. Clark gave him an uneasy grin, but it fell as he watched Chloe and Lana sit at the table across from them. “You seem to be in a good mood this morning, ladies,” Pete said with a wide smile. Chloe and Lana both smiled over at him, Lana’s smile a bit more devious.

“There’s a reason – you wanna hear it?” she asked, leaning toward him. Chloe couldn’t help but roll her eyes when she saw Clark shift uncomfortably in his chair. Pete leaned toward her.

“Hell yes,” he said in almost a whisper because he knew the teacher would be coming in soon.

“Chloe’s got a date *and* he’s *not* a meteor-freak,” Lana said, matching his volume. Pete’s eyebrows shot up and a teasing smile rose to his lips as he stared over at Chloe.

“Way to go, Chlo!” he said a little too loudly. Chloe covered her face with some embarrassment, but couldn’t hide keep her mirth from lightly shaking her body.

“Thanks, Pete,” she said. Clark cleared his throat nervously and Lana bit her lip to refrain from immediately laughing at his reaction.

“So, um…not a meteor-freak, huh?” Clark asked. “Where’d you meet him?”

“Metropolis,” Chloe answered. Pete snorted.

“I guess working for the devil has its advantages,” he said with a modicum of teasing lining his voice. Pete had initially had a really difficult time accepting that Chloe would take a job working for Lionel Luthor, but when she explained that she desperately needed the money for college and no other place in town would pay nearly as well, he had caved and just left a threat hanging in the air that if the bastard ever hurt her he would pay.

“I don’t know, Chloe,” Clark said, hesitation evident in his voice and Chloe braced herself for what she was sure to be another Kent lecture. “A guy that works with Lex’s dad? Isn’t that kind of --- gross?” Chloe rolled her eyes at Clark’s automatic assumption that the man would be significantly older than she was.

“Number one, he doesn’t work with Mr. Luthor - his family basically owns the Callaghan Corporation,” Chloe rebutted. Pete’s smile grew bigger.

“Ooh, I smell money,” Pete said and rubbed his fingers together, earning a small giggle out of Lana and a slight glare from Clark.

“And second, he’s like Lex’s age, not some eighty-year old perv who hits on high-school students for the hell of it,” Chloe finished.

“Oh,” was all Clark said and squirmed a little. Despite the fact that Chloe and he weren’t on the best of terms, he still felt a need to protect her. He felt that he had failed miserably when she took the job working for Lex’s dad, and now she was going to go out with some guy who, in his mind, was probably just another spoiled rich kid who wanted to use her. The teacher called for the class’s attention and he made a mental note to ask Lex about the guy Chloe had a date with later.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lucas knocked on the open door to his father’s office a couple of times and nodded his head at his dad as he looked up from his desk.

“You wanted to see me?” Lucas asked.

“Close the door,” Lionel replied. Lucas arched an eyebrow, but did as he was ordered and then came to sit down in one of the chairs across from his father.

“What’s up?”

Lionel leaned back in his chair and Lucas shifted a little under his intense stare.

“As you’re aware, you’re brother has been acting…out of character recently,” he said. Lucas snorted, trying to hide his amusement with the situation.

“You could say that.”

“Hmm,” Lionel sounded in agreement and then leaned forward. “He claims not to have taken anything.”

‘Shit,’ Lucas thought, his father’s eyes practically boring a hole through him. ‘He knows something.’ Lucas hid his reaction well and acted uninterested and indignant. “You think he’s telling the truth?”

“Difficult to say – although he does have a…history.”

“No offense, Dad, but why don’t you just get to the point already?” Lucas asked. Lionel let out a humorless chuckle and gave a half roll of his eyes.

“Alright,” he said and then paused for a second before continuing. “We have some important contracts coming up, ones that I can’t afford for Lex to screw up by reverting back to his old behaviors. I’d like you to become his shadow so to speak – make sure he stays out of trouble.” Lucas inwardly cringed and then repositioned himself in his chair.

“I don’t know,” he responded, “Have you done a blood test or anything? Maybe Lex wasn’t lying.” Lionel sloughed off the comment with a wave of his hand.

“The only thing a blood test would show is what exactly it is that he took. What I need is someone to make sure he doesn’t do it again,” Lionel said, giving a pointed look at his younger son. Lucas frowned.

“And you want me to be that ‘someone’,” he said. Lionel nodded. ‘Crap. If I say no then it’ll look suspicious, but if I say yes, then I’ll be blamed once Lex starts acting all doped up again.’ “Have you talked to Lex about this? Somehow I get the feeling that he won’t be thrilled with me tagging along everywhere he goes.” Lionel smirked.

“It’s not as if he has a choice. Besides, I’ve told him that you’ll be there to make sure that nobody tries to slip anything into his drinks or food.”

“Yeah, and I’m sure he believed that,” Lucas said sarcastically. Lionel shrugged.

“If he wasn’t lying, then the situation is more serious than I originally thought. You’ll need to keep an eye out for anyone that might be trying to do harm to your brother as well.”

“Lucky me.”

“Don’t worry, son. You’ll still have plenty of time to spend with your girlfriend,” he replied. “The house is already being searched for any sort of ‘stash’ he may have here, so the only times you’ll need to accompany him are when he leaves the house.”

“Oh, is that all?” Lucas said with heavy sarcasm.

“You can delegate some of the responsibility to the security staff as you feel necessary.”

“Yeah, but I’ll still be the one who gets blamed if he screws up again,” Lucas mumbled.

“It won’t be forever – two months at the most, much less if you can do your job properly,” Lionel said. “If he hasn’t sobered up in that time, then I’ll send him to seek professional help.”

“I still don’t understand why you want *me* to do it,” Lucas complained.

Lionel paused again and looked Lucas directly in the eyes, his cold glare void of any emotion other than the underlying threat carried in them.

“You’re friends with Chloe, yes?”

“Acquaintances – but I like her, she seems nice enough.”

“I don’t need to remind you how your brother behaved around her in his ‘state’ the other day, do I?”

“So, this is about Chloe?” Lucas asked, inwardly coming to the realization that Lionel wasn’t connecting *him* to anything, but was more concerned about how Lex was acting around his new part-time personal assistant. ‘Eww,’ he thought, getting a mental image of Lionel fawning over Chloe. Lionel arched an eyebrow when Lucas shuddered, but didn’t say anything about it.

“I haven’t asked you to do much since you were accepted back into the fold, but I *need* you to do this,” he said. Lucas frowned and rested his head on his hand, propped up by his elbow. “Think of it as your chance to prove yourself. If you succeed in this, then I’ll know that I can trust you more responsibility.”

“Fine,” Lucas said through gritted teeth. Lionel leaned back and grinned smugly.

“Good. I’m glad we understand each other.”

“Where is he now?” Lucas asked.

“I believe he’s complaining about security going through his office with their drug dogs,” Lionel replied with a small laugh. Lucas groaned and placed a fake smile on his face.

‘Thanks, Dad,’ he thought sarcastically.

It was going to be a long couple of months if he couldn’t get Sabrina to reverse that curse.

TBC…

NS Full Member
    Hee. Getting a mental image of Lucas trying to keep Lex off of Chloe makes me laugh. It's a good thing. I can't wait till the curse takes a real hold on him.

Blue

HAHA, guess Lucas' plan has backfired on time BIG TIME. I imagine Lucas gettting the way of Lex when Lex tries to get to Chloe and Lex laying a few on him... accidentally of course

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information