+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Square (PG-13) *Epilogue* 12/11/05

Re: Four Square (PG-13) *Chapter 2* 3/6/05

Great update!!! I'm dying to know who took Chloe.

Lana and Lex?! What is this world coming to?! Other than that terrific start. =)

NS Full Member

Good update! I can't wait to see Lex's response to that. I also think maybe that the MB doesn't have anything to do with taking Chloe. If he just wanted revenge wouldn't he just kill her Dad and then a bit later kill her? I hope you can update again today.

Susan S

Another great chapter . I'm really happy to hear that you've almost finished with it. I wanted to say again that I really like the relationship between Chloe and Clark. And you're doing a great job of writing Lex...his true character.

He barked at the voice that answered. "This isn’t quite going as we’d planned."
    I can't wait to find out who Lex was talking to!

Trying to wait patiently for your next update!

NS Full Member

Ruh-ro! A double cliffhanger! I hope you get to that second update soon!

Bruce's Favorite Stalker

Re: *Chapter 2* Updated 3/6/05

I said it before, despite the Lexana and the Chlark I love his fic. But you know what I would love even more? The next update. Clearly, that conversation between Lex and Clark isn't finished and should be sometime soon... like soon. You get what I mean by *soon*? It's for my health here, honestly. Addictions are baaad. And I've only read two chapters of this...

First of all what is it that isn't going exactly as planned? Second, how can Lex not now why they're mad at him. Unless, it's just one big misunderstanding and he's not with Lana they're just *chokes* friends. Which is still a possibility right?

"Nothing that you need to concern yourself with, Lex." Clark went to take a sip of his drink, sneaking a peek at Chloe over the rim of his cup.
    That hurt me and I'm just reading it.

Loved this update greatly, and I'm very excited to see who took chloe, what Lex's big plan is, the rest of the Clex convo, and *giggles* that hot chlex lovin you better be working in here somewhere...

Waiting patiently for the next update.

Loved the update!!! Though I hope that Chloe's ok. Somebody stole Lex's Chloe!! Get her back safe and sound

Steph*

***Chapter 3*** 3/6/05

Here's the second update as promised *pats self on back*

For the record, I think this might just be the most fun I've ever had with a fic. Thanks to everyone who offered feedback, questions and speculation.

And a special thanks to those who had faith that I wasn't the devil incarnate.

And even greater thanks to those who were willing to enjoy the story even if I was

Chapter 3: Revelation

"What are you talking about, Clark?" Lex had waited until he’d gotten Clark off the porch and out of earshot of the various people still passing in and out of the Sullivan house. "What do you mean you found out about me and Lana?"

"I can’t believe you lied to us, Lex. I had my doubts about you but I never thought you’d do that."

"Do what, Clark? What is it exactly that you think I’ve done?" Lex was clearly getting frustrated.

"We saw you, okay? Chloe and I. We were both at the airport and we saw you with Lana. We know that you two are…together."

"Chloe was there?" Lex asked.

Clark just nodded.

"So she thinks I…" Lex just shook his head and looked away.

Clark couldn’t tell for sure but Lex’s expression seemed to be a combination of frustration and amusement.

"Well, you’re both wrong. And you both should have said something."

"What?" Clark couldn’t believe Lex was lecturing him on how to behave. "What did you want us to say?"

"You really believe that I’d go after Lana? After all I did to try to help get you two together?"

"Well, I saw you with my own two eyes, Lex, so…"

"No, Clark. What you saw was two friends saying goodbye to each other. Two friends who had an agreement."

"An agreement?" Clark couldn’t believe that Lex was trying to get out of this situation by referring to his relationship with Lana as an ‘agreement’.

"Yes, Clark. Lana was to take care of herself in Paris, out of harm’s way, and I was to make sure Chloe was safe and that you were okay as well."

"What?"

"I figured it would be best to support Lana’s going to Paris because it would put her out of harm’s way this summer. She eventually questioned why I was being so encouraging and I figured it was best just to explain it to her. Even though my father didn’t have it out for her, she was still associated with me and, therefore, it might be best for her to be as far away from Smallville as possible for a couple of months."

"Oh." It’s all Clark could muster at that point.

"In return though, she made me swear I’d do everything in my power to keep Chloe safe. I think part of her wanted to stay to make sure of that herself."

Clark said nothing at this point, just listened to Lex with a dazed expression.

"I was also to keep an eye on you. Lana knew things were a bit strained between us but she made me promise to watch out for you while she was away. I think she was worried you’d up and disappear to Metropolis again."

"So…?"

"So yes, you and Chloe were both wrong. I did see Lana off but only to reassure her that I would take care of my end of our agreement and to provide her with my private numbers so she could reach me in case anything unusual happened while she was abroad."

"Lex, I don’t know what to say. I mean…"

"Clark, that doesn’t matter now. What matters is finding Chloe." Lex started to walk away but Clark reached out and grabbed his arm.

"Why are you so concerned with protecting Chloe anyway?"

"Because she’s my responsibility. She came forward to help me and I promised to keep her safe."

"Is that all?"

Lex hesitated for a moment, as if considering how honest he wanted to be in his response. "No."

He pulled away and started down the stairs.

Clark, satisfied with his answer, followed.

Clark knocked on the door and waited.

He didn’t even get a chance to open his mouth before the butler spoke. "Yes, Mr. Kent. Right this way. Mr. Luthor is expecting you."

Clark followed the man down the hall and then, surprisingly, up the stairs. Clark leaned back a little and realized that Lex wasn’t in the study as usual.

After another flight of stairs and a turn down the hallway, Clark finally realized where they were heading.

The butler opened the door and Clark hesitated for a moment before entering.

He stopped at the top of the short staircase as the door closed behind him and took in the sight around him.

It wasn’t quite how he remembered it.

"Clark?"

He was broken from his reverie by the sound of Lex’s voice.

"Huh?"

Lex started moving towards him and Clark finally started making his way down the stairs and into the room.

"Anything?"

Clark finally pulled it together enough to focus. "Nothing."

Lex nodded before turning back to the table that now occupied the middle of the room. Clark followed, but slowly, as he took in the images around him.

Walls and monitors that had once been covered with his face were now covered with someone else’s.

Everywhere he turned, he saw Chloe looking back at him. Most of the pictures he recognized but some he didn’t.

He wondered for a moment where Lex had gotten those in particular.

"Clark?" Again, Lex had to get his attention.

Clark started to say something then stopped and decided to ask the inevitable. "Why here, Lex?"

"What?"

"Why have you set all of this up in here?"

Lex stopped what he was working on and turned to face Clark. "Because this room has been empty for some time and I figured now would be a good time to put it to use again."

"Empty? Since when? Last time I was here it certainly seemed to be serving a purpose." Clark couldn’t keep the bitterness out of his voice.

Lex took a deep breath as though absorbing the memory of that day. "Yes, Clark. It was serving a purpose. But after that day, I realized that some things were more important. So I had it cleared out and it’s been empty ever since."

Clark just stared at him, unsure of what to think.

Lex took a step closer. "Look, Clark. I know we have some unresolved issues between us but do you think now is really the time?"

Clark just shook his head and looked down at the floor, ashamed that he’d let his own personal issues cloud him from the task at hand.

And, at the moment, both he and Lex shared the same important task: finding Chloe.

Lex, seeming to realize that he was going to hold off on any further accusations, gestured for Clark to follow him back to the table.

"Plus, we have something else to contend with now." He handed a piece of paper to Clark.

"He didn’t show up at the conference?" Clark looked at Lex as his shoulders slumped in a sign of defeat. "They’ve got her father now, too?"

"Apparently." Lex paused for a moment before continuing. "The plane landed in Birmingham as scheduled but the driver I had waiting never saw him get off the plane."

"So did he even make it on the plane?" Clark asked aloud.

"Not sure yet. I have someone looking into it."

Clark placed his hands on the table and leaned on them, lowering his head. "I should never have let this happen."

Lex looked up from the papers in front of him to the young man suffering beside him. "Clark, even you can’t be in two places at once."

Clark froze for a moment before making eye contact. "Lex, what--"

"Mr. Luthor?"

They both turned to see someone standing in the doorway. Lex seemed to recognize her immediately and started walking in her direction, leaving a confused Clark in his wake.

"Do you have them?"

"Yes, sir. But you aren’t going to be pleased." She offered a file to Lex which he snatched from her and flipped open.

Clark walked up slowly next to him to see what had Lex so intrigued.

His fists curled up at his sides at the images in Lex’s hands.

Picture after picture of Chloe being dragged out of the back door of her house by two men in dark coats. Unfortunately, the pictures were clearly taken from far away so there was no way to make out any distinguishing features of either man.

Clark started to say something but was cut off by Lex’s angry words. "I ask for twenty four hour surveillance and this is the best you can do?" He flips the folder shut and tosses it on the table behind them.

The woman before him doesn’t seem surprised, or even threatened, by his tone. "Sir, we were on orders for observation only. These were taken by an unmanned camera over 200 yards from the house, set up on a timer." She paused. "We were under the impression you thought she was already protected."

Lex doesn’t say anything but just turns his back on her and walks away.

Clark just stands there, trapped in the tension of the room for a moment, before speaking to the woman beside him. "Is there anything else you can tell us? Did you see the vehicle they used? Any tracks?" She just shook her head so his last question was asked with desperation. "Anything?"

She looks past Clark to Lex who’s now leaning on the table as Clark had been just moments before. "It seems that Miss Sullivan attempted to make a phone call around the time of her abduction."

This bit of information causes Lex to look up but it’s Clark who responds. "So where did she call? My house?"

"Actually, Mr. Kent," she hands him a piece of paper with a number on it, "she attempted to call Mr. Luthor’s cell phone."

"Why would she call you?" Clark paces behind where Lex is sitting. "Why would she call you and not me?"

Lex takes another sip of his drink, too lost in his own thoughts to respond.

"After everything that’s happened, it just doesn’t make sense. Why would she call you when she’s in trouble?"

Finally, Lex rises and turns to face Clark. The quickness of the motion catches Clark’s attention and he stops pacing.

"Clark, I don’t know. Chloe’s had that number for some time in case of emergencies. I just…" he rubs his hand over his head. "I just hoped she’d never have a need for it."

Clark takes a serious look at Lex for the first time since arriving at the mansion and when he does, he sees something he never expected.

Fear.

Desperation.

And something he can’t quite put his finger on.

"Lex?" He walks up and puts his hand on the other man’s shoulder. "We will find her."

Lex just nods.

"This isn’t your fault."

Lex almost smiles at the pep talk he’s getting. He looks up at the young man beside him. "It’s not yours either, Clark."

Clark starts to pull away, apparently unable to believe the words, but he stops his retreat when he feels Lex’s hand covering the one on his shoulder.

"Clark, if it’s not my fault, it’s certainly not yours. You’ve kept her safe for weeks. Now we have to just work together to bring her home."

Clark just nods in response.

Their moment is interrupted by a light knocking on the door.

Clark turns around, surprised at who is staring back at him. "Mom?"

"Hi, honey." She looks past Clark to Lex. "Hi, Lex."

"Mrs. Kent." Lex looks almost as surprised as Clark to see her there.

She takes a step in and offers up a duffel bag to Clark. "I’ve packed some clothes for you in case you stay here another night."

Clark is overwhelmed by guilt, realizing that a whole night had passed and he hadn’t even called his parents since he’d left there the night before.

"Mom, I’m so sorry--"

"Now, Clark. That’s not why I’m here. Your father wanted me to come by and--"

"Chores," Clark blurted out. "I totally forgot. I’ll--"

"Clark." Martha said his name with a little force this time, trying to get him to just listen to her. "Your father suggested that I bring these by because he figured the two of you were going to be working non-stop to bring Chloe home."

"But what about the farm?"

"Clark," she looked almost sad at this point. "Your father and I will take care of that. What you need to focus on right now is finding Chloe."

Clark just nodded, relieved that his father wasn’t going to show up and try to talk him out of working with Lex.

"Well, I should get going. I’m working inside today so I can stay by the phone but right now your father is covering it and I’m sure he’s getting restless already." She gave her son a hug before whispering, "Be careful, Clark."

Before leaving though, Martha turned her attention on Lex who was keeping his distance from their interaction. She took a step towards him. "Lex, you will find her."

Lex seemed unable to speak. He just nodded.

She took a step closer. "She’s a strong girl. Stronger than any of you give her credit for. And she won’t give up. She has too much to live for."

Lex, who started to look so uncomfortable he might back away, found himself embraced in one of Martha Kent’s hugs.

"And it’s not my son she’s living for." She whispered in his ear before pulling back enough to look him in the eye. "It hasn’t been for some time."

Lex’s mouth opened slightly in what could only be described as a stunned response. He closed it quickly though and just nodded his thanks as she started to pull away.

"Keep us posted. And let me know if you need anything." She eyed them both before giving Clark’s arm a quick squeeze on her way out.

Clark watched her walk out and then turned to Lex, tempted to ask what had just happened between his mother and friend.

But then he saw something in Lex’s expression.

Hope.

And he figured his questions could wait.

And please remember, feedback is joy in word form!

NS Full Member

Re: Four Square (PG-13) Another Update! 3/6/05

Great update Reese. I can't wait to see what happens next

Re: Four Square (PG-13) Another Update! 3/6/05

So glad you updated...again! Well at least Clark and Lex are talking, hopefully that way Clark can't meddle and will actually be helpful I loved Martha's little pep talk, at least someone else is noticing the Lex and Chloe chemistry. Update soon!!

Steph*

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information