+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Square (PG-13) *Epilogue* 12/11/05

NS Junior Member
    More!! I'm really enjoying this I can't wait for the next part.

I like the friendship between chlow/clark.

bad lex for lying.

WOW, i loved it. It almost made me cry poor Chloe [ and I guess Clark ] You have to write more! WHo is the mysterious someone keeping his/her's eyes on them? PLease write more!

NS Full Member

Re: Four Square (PG-13)

Great beginning. I love the friendship between Chloe and this Clark. I can't wait to see what happens when Lex and Lana figure out what happened and why Clark and Chloe are upset with them. Would love to see more soon.

Susan S

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Thank God I'm not the only one taking heat for including some (unspeakable) Lexana in a recent update. However, you'll probably come off better than me because I'm convinced nothing serious is happening between Lex and Lana in your story--it just looks that way to Chloe and Clark. Me, on the other hand . . . oh, well.

Wonderful start. I'm so glad you're making this one longer, and I'm so glad that it's going to be different--which I have no doubts means a happy ending. Right? Right.

Great portrayal of character and emotion, and I love how you move the story along primarily through dialogue.

Looking forward to more.

Great start!!! I love how you've portrayed the friendship between Chloe and Clark. It's nice to see them being supportive of each other.

NS Full Member

You got me, i'm intrigued. What happens next?

Thumbs up Re: Four Square (PG-13)

More! I'm really liking this fic!

NS Full Member

more please....now...you know if you're ready

love lea
    xxx

*Chapter 2* Updated 3/6/05

So this is the first of (probably) two updates today.

Many thanks to all of you who have provided feedback so far. It kicked my muse into overdrive and this story is almost complete (yay!).

I wish I could provide more witty commentary but, at this point, I'm a little overwhelmed with trying to find my way around the new board.

Chapter 2: Realization

"Hello? HELLO? Quit calling me if you have nothing to say!" Chloe snapped her cell phone shut and let out what Clark could only relate to a low growl.

"Problem?" He laughed.

"That’s like the third time today!" She threw her phone back in her purse. "I’ve never had this problem before."

"Is something the matter, Chloe?"

They both looked up to see Lex standing next to their table.

"Nothing that you need to concern yourself with, Lex." Clark went to take a sip of his drink, sneaking a peek at Chloe over the rim of his cup.

And he saw that she was doing the exact same thing.

Meanwhile, Lex just stood silently above them.

"I guess we should get going?" Chloe looked hopefully at Clark.

He just nodded and started to get up.

"Wait." Lex gestured for them to remain seated. "I’m leaving so there’s no reason why you can’t stay."

He looked them both over for a moment longer, clearly frustrated with the situation and wanting to say more, before turning and walking out.

Chloe finally let out the breath she’d been holding.

Clark reached across and put his hand on hers. "You okay?"

She used the other hand to wipe at the newly formed tears in her eyes. "I will be. Someday." She hesitated. "Right?"

He just nodded the sad little nod they’d both perfected in the weeks since that day in Metropolis. "Right."

Lex slid into the driver’s seat of his car, cursing under his breath.

He pulled out his cell phone and dialed the number immediately.

He was too frustrated to wait.

He barked at the voice that answered. "This isn’t quite going as we’d planned."

"Dad, I’ll be fine…really." She gave him a quick hug and then tried pushing him in the direction of the door where his packed bags were waiting.

"Honey, forgive me for being worried. But let’s consider what the last month or so has been like, okay?"

Chloe couldn’t help but smile. Her Dad had been more attentive and more present since the whole thing with Lionel had come out.

He’d argued at first for them to enter protective custody as Lex had suggested but had finally agreed that she shouldn’t have to give up her life just to keep it.

And, apparently, he’d even stood up to Lex when he’d paid a visit one day last week to, yet again, encourage him to do so and with Chloe in tow.

"You’re right, Dad. I’m sorry. But I’ll be fine. I promise." She gave him her best smile. "And remember, I have my own personal bodyguard in Clark."

"Is he coming over tonight?"

Chloe almost laughed at how enthusiastic her Dad was about a boy coming over when he was going to be away.

"Yes, he’ll be over any minute." She shook her head at him as he glanced out the window as though expecting Clark to pull up at that very moment. "Seriously, go. Or you’ll miss your flight."

"I’ll call when I land. I don’t know what time that will be here so take the phone to bed with you, okay?"

"Yes, Dad."

"I mean it, young lady."

She saluted him before giving him one last shove in the direction of the door.

He finally conceded and picked up his bag. He turned back before closing the door behind him. "You know, if it’s okay with the Kents, I wouldn’t have any problem with Clark staying here while I’m away."

"Dad!" Chloe couldn’t believe her ears.

"Okay, okay…I was just saying."

Before she could respond, he ducked his head out the door.

Chloe let out an embarrassed little laugh and then turned towards the kitchen. She jumped at the sound of the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it’s me. Sorry, I’m running late."

"No, problem. Dad just left. I’ll start working on the popcorn."

"I’ll pick up the movies on my way. It’ll probably be at least a half hour though."

"Okay. Just don’t forget the chocolate and all will be forgiven."

"I won’t…see you soon."

Chloe didn’t even respond to the dial tone at the other end. She placed the phone on the counter next to the microwave and began preparing the first popcorn bag of the evening.

I’ll pick up the movies on my way. It’ll probably be at least a half hour though.

The man looked at his watch as he put down the headphones, then made a note on the pad in front of him before picking up the walkie talkie from his desk.

"You’ve got just under a half hour. Get in and get out."

Clark grabbed the bag out of the truck and headed up the stairs to the front door. He lifted his hand to knock but then something caught his eye in the window.

Popcorn.

It was spilled all over the counter and the floor.

Without thinking, he pushed on the door until it almost came off the hinges.

"Chloe? Chloe?!?"

He found nothing.

Except the sign of a struggle.

Clark paced back and forth on the front porch, waiting for the police to finish their search of the inside.

He’d already called his parents and told them what happened. His father was out right now with Mr. Ross seeing if they noticed any suspicious activity in town while his mom manned the phone at the farm.

If someone had taken Chloe…and if somehow she got away…that would be the first place she’d call.

Clark turned to pace in another direction when he saw a car approaching.

He struggled with whether or not he was angry or relieved to see the familiar sports car.

"What happened?" Lex was out of the car and on the porch in a flash.

Clark couldn’t help but study the almost desperate expression on Lex’s face before answering. "I don’t know."

"Tell me what you do know then, Clark."

"I called her, told her I was running late, and then when I got here I saw," he gestured to the inside of the house, "I saw what looked to be like the sign of a struggle."

"You called her? On the house phone or on her cell?"

Clark just looked at him, confusion in his eyes. "On the house phone, why?"

"Excuse me, officer." Lex got the attention of one of the deputies walking by. "Has anyone checked to see if there are any taps on the phone lines?"

"Taps? Here? Sir, I think you’ve been reading one too many mystery novels or something."

Before he knew what was happening, Clark saw Lex reach out and grab the man. "Do you even know what you’re dealing with here? This is the household of a very important witness in a federal investigation. And I’m guessing they wouldn’t appreciate the cavalier attitude of a backwater ticket-writer when it comes to their star witness. What do you think?"

Clark reached over, forcing Lex to release his grip on the young man who was now scared into wide-eyed silence.

"Get out of here," Lex tossed the remark to the young officer before pulling out his cell phone.

"We have a situation at the Sullivan household. I need you here now." He snapped the cell shut and turned to face Clark. "Do you know anything else? Anything else suspicious lately?"

Clark started to shake his head in the negative before something dawned on him. "She’s been getting a lot of hang ups or wrong numbers on her cell phone lately." He looked at Lex, wondering if that meant anything.

Lex cursed under his breath. "They’ve been tracking her."

"Who has?"

"Someone working for my father, I’m sure." He looked back up at Clark. "This is why I wanted her in protective custody, Clark."

Clark, already feeling guilty for not having been there, looked away.

"If you two would have just talked to me, told me what was going on, maybe we could have prevented this."

Clark still didn’t look at him.

Finally, Lex asked the question that had been eating away at him for the last couple of weeks. "What happened, anyway?"

Eventually, Clark turned to look at him. "What do you mean? I already told you…"

"No, not tonight," he paused. "The day of the hearing. You two haven’t been able to even look at me since that day."

Clark looked down before looking, tentatively, back at the man he once considered a friend.

"We found out," he hesitated, willing himself to say the words out loud. "We found out about you and Lana."

Feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated...

Members

Re: Four Square (PG-13) *Chapter 2* 3/6/05

Hmm who really took Chloe? Was it the MB or did Lex have her Kidnapped and put in to safe keepping? Hmm I wonder. Guess I'll have to stay tuned.

summer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information