Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unacceptable (NC-17)

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    Title: Unacceptable
    Author: scifichick774
    Rating: NC-17
    Category: Chloe/Lex Angst/Romance
    Spoilers: Sequel to Amour Noire, highly recommended that you read that fic first, or you won’t know what’s going on; Amour Noire was set immediately after the season 1 finale
    Summary: Chloe’s dad and her friends are unhappy with her new relationship with Lex
    Disclaimer: Not mine, no infringement intended
    Archival: Go ahead, just let me know where
    Author’s Note: Many of you requested a sequel to Amour Noire, so here it is. Also, I didn’t know Chloe’s birthday or anything, so it’s just made up – sorry. Hope you enjoy it!

~*~*~*~*~

Gabe Sullivan stood in his living room, a suspicious and almost angry energy taking over his being. Clark stood near him, a bemused grin on his face, and both were looking at Chloe.

“I thought you said that you weren’t seeing him,” Gabe started, trying to keep his tone as even as possible. Chloe gave a nervous chuckle and started playing with the ring on her finger. Clark stepped closer to her.

“I think that’s my cue to leave,” he said, bending down to give her a quick peck on the cheek. “Good luck,” he whispered. Clark smiled and said goodbye to Chloe’s dad, after which Gabe’s full attention was back on his daughter.

“Are you going to answer my question?” He asked. She sighed and plastered a small smile on her face.

“I wasn’t seeing him when we last talked about it, and now I am,” Chloe rushed out the last part of the sentence. He just stared at her blankly, and then he started rubbing his eyes with one hand, the other hand lay on his hip.

“How did this happen?” He asked. He was trying to stay calm, but Chloe could see that he would explode any minute.

“I don’t know,” Chloe admitted, a small grin forming at the corners of her mouth that her dad didn’t take notice of. “It just sort of… happened. You know?” He shook his head and sighed, and then started to rub his temples. Chloe frowned. That couldn’t be good.
    “Daddy?”

“I think I’m getting a migraine,” he commented without looking at her, walking to the couch to sit down.

“You don’t get migraines,” she retorted and went to get him some pain medication from the kitchen. “Here.” She handed him a glass of water and two green pills. He nodded in acknowledgement and took them. She sat down on the edge of the couch. “You’re not happy are you?” She asked quietly. Chloe already knew the answer, and had just been talking out loud. He shook his head again.

“He’s my boss Chloe,” he responded in a strained voice. She nodded. “And, I thought you liked Clark.” He gave her a hopeful look and she gave him a compensatory grin.

“I do like Clark, as a friend,” she looked at him to see his reaction.

“Why do I hear a ‘but’ coming?” He asked. She smiled.

“Because you know me,” she answered.

“So, but?” He asked, not wanting the answer.

“But I love Lex,” she responded. He let out a disbelieving guffaw and stood up.

“You’ve only been dating him for a maximum of two weeks! You can’t grow to love someone in that short of period of time!” He burst. Chloe looked down and quelled her anger. She was hoping he would accept this, but knew that he wouldn’t.

“Dad…”

“No!” He interrupted her. “This is unacceptable Chloe, not to mention probably illegal. I don’t want you dating him.”

“Well, no offense Dad, but that’s not really your decision,” Chloe said in her firmest voice. “And, it’s not illegal. The age of consent in Kansas is sixteen, which, if I may remind you, I turned a couple of months ago.” She was standing up now too, hands on hips and giving him a hard, unwavering look. He sighed.

“You still live under my roof Chloe. My roof, my rules.”

“I don’t remember there ever being a rule about not dating Lex Luthor,” Chloe quipped. He gave her an unsettled grin and a somewhat smug expression.

“It’s new,” he said. Then mumbled, “I didn’t think I’d ever have to worry about that one.” She rolled her eyes and the doorbell rang. Chloe rushed over to answer the door before her dad got a chance. Her smile shown brightly as she practically shoved Lex out on to the porch.

“Bye Dad! We’ll be back later!” She slammed the door behind her, leaving her father speechless inside the house. Chloe walked at a brisk pace to the car, practically dragging Lex by the hand behind her. They got to the passenger side of the car and he cocked his eyebrow at her.

“What was that all about?” He asked, his lips turning into a grin.

“Could we talk about it in the car?” She responded, looking back to the house to see if her father was watching them leave. He nodded and opened the door for her. Gabe Sullivan watched the car peel out of his driveway and shook his head.

‘Something’s going to have to be done about that,’ he thought as he went to lie down.

Lex laughed as Chloe started to explain what happened with her Dad.

“You didn’t really think he would approve of us did you?” He asked. She shook her head. His laughter was entirely too contagious.

“No, but I was hoping.”

“Which speech did he give you? Do you know how much trouble that boy’s been in? Or, he’s my boss?” He looked at her out of the corner of his eye and could see her starting to shake she was laughing so hard now. He smiled.

“A little bit of the latter added in with my roof, my rules,” Chloe managed to get out between breaths. Lex nodded.

“Ah, I remember that one,” Lex mused. “Except, my father kept trying to use it even when I was in boarding school.” Chloe laughed.

“And I’m sure that went over really well,” she said sarcastically.

“After I was expelled enough times, I think he finally got the hint,” he paused. “Although, maybe not. He still tried to be pretty controlling right up to the end.” Chloe grew serious and touched his arm.

“Do you miss him?”

“I wish I had the kind of relationship with him where I could answer yes to that question,” he answered somewhat evasively. She nodded. “So how did things go with Clark?” He asked, changing the topic to the one that had been bothering him for the better part of the afternoon.

“Fine, we’re all friends again,” she said. Lex kept a straight face, but nodded. He wasn’t sure if that was entirely true. He was sure that Clark could put up enough of a front of “let’s just be friends” if he thought he was going to lose Chloe for good. Chloe groaned and Lex glanced over at her.

“What?”

“He was so out of it that he actually kissed me,” she said, shaking her head in disbelief. Lex slammed on the brakes and the car came screeching to a halt.

~*~*~*~*~

The car was stopped on the side of the road.

“Lex?” Chloe looked over at him, his face eerily calm, but she could tell he was just barely holding it together. He didn’t answer right away and he refused to face her.

“He kissed you?” He asked, his voice level, but angry. Chloe sighed.

“A peck on the lips before I even knew what was happening, and I pushed him away right as he did it,” she explained. She could hear Lex’s deep breathing in an attempt to calm himself, yet his hands were still gripping the steering wheel as if his life depended on it. He turned his head slightly to look at her. He had always had the ability to tell when someone was lying, which was a good trait to possess for most aspects of life, but he wanted to believe her. Even if she was lying to him. He looked into her eyes and she grinned. She wasn’t lying. He nodded his head once and removed his hands from the steering wheel.

“I’m sorry,” he said, shaking his head slightly. “I just…” She unbuckled her seat belt and moved over so she could kiss him. He grinned. “What was that for?” She stroked his cheek once with her hand.

“Although it’s somewhat flattering in a twisted way to have you be jealous; I would really like to have my confident, I can crush my business opposition with one phone call, boyfriend back,” she said, giving him a big smile. He chuckled.

“I think that can be arranged,” he replied. She moved back into her seat and refastened her safety belt. He cocked an eyebrow at her. She held her hands up in mock surrender.

“I’ve seen the way you drive when you’re being normal,” she quipped. That earned an all out laugh and Lex started up the engine again, peeling out from the section of road they had been parked on. “Where are we going?” She saw a grin form on his lips.

“My house, if you think I can be trusted,” he said, sexual innuendo dripping off the end of the sentence. She raised an eyebrow.

“Hmm, I don’t know,” she joked. “How much trouble have you been in?” He smiled luridly at her.

“Miss Sullivan, as much as I would love to grant you an interview,” he said as they pulled up to the manor. “I can think of far better things that we could be doing.”

~*~*~*~*~

Clark sat at The Talon talking to Lana. She said she was glad that he and Chloe had patched things up and that she was safe, but was trying to get Clark to tell her who Chloe was dating, as he had left that juicy piece of information out.

“Clark, I won’t tell anyone,” she pleaded and batted her eyes intentionally. He sighed.

“Lex,” he said. She turned around to look toward the door.

“Where?” She asked. Clark laughed.

“No, he’s not here. Lex is the guy she’s seeing,” he responded. Lana’s eyes grew wide in shock.

“What?!” She asked loudly. Clark couldn’t tell if she was just surprised or if she didn’t like the idea. He shrugged. “Clark, how can you let her date him?” He leaned forward.

“I don’t really have any control over that,” he said. She shook her head.

“You’re her friend, you should be looking out for her,” Lana argued.

“Yeah, I tried that. She seemed kind of resentful,” he said thoughtfully. She rolled her eyes.

“Clark, listen to me. Lex can be very charming,” she started and he gave her a look.

“Toward you?” He asked. She rolled her eyes.

“In general. The point is that Chloe has been feeling kind of left out before all of this happened, and then along comes this rich charming guy who could totally take advantage of the situation,” she rambled and then paused, her eyes widening again. “Oh my God! You don’t think they’ve slept together do you?” Clark’s mouth dropped open, his eyes wide at the possibility that Lana suggested.

“You don’t think he’d do that do you?” He managed to get out. She gave him a ‘duh’ look and he frowned. He leaned back in his chair. This wasn’t good. He obviously should have talked to Lana before seeing Chloe earlier, none of that had even occurred to him previously. He leaned forward again. “Do you think you could talk to her Lana?” She grinned in surprise.

“Like a group intervention type thing?” She asked. He shook his head.

“No. It’s just… I don’t think she’ll listen to me after this afternoon,” he said.

“I thought you said that you made up?” She asked. He looked nervous, like he didn’t want to tell her everything that had happened. “What aren’t you telling me?”

“I kissed her, well, sort of. She pushed me away,” he responded. Lana’s mouth dropped. “But we made up after that,” he added quickly.

“Clark,” she paused, not sure of how to phrase what she was going to say next. “Did you know that she was dating Lex before you kissed her?” He covered his face with his hand to try and hide the blush rising to his cheeks.

“I was… jealous I guess. I thought that I could get her away from him,” he answered. Lana nodded.

“By making her come to you,” she finished. He nodded. “This is so bad Clark.”

“No, no, we’re friends again, everything’s okay,” he said. Lana shook her head and looked pensive. She leaned closer to him and spoke in a lower volume.

“Do you have any idea what Lex will do to you Clark?” She asked, frightened for her friend. He shook his head.

“It’s not like that Lana. Lex is my friend. I was the one going off the deep end, not him,” he said. Lana frowned.

“Okay, assuming that he actually does care for her and he isn’t just taking advantage of the situation. What would you do if you were in his place?” She asked, trying to make Clark realize the underlying threat. She paused, watching his reaction, and then realized something. “Oh no! I can’t talk to Chloe about it.” He furrowed his brow.

“Why not?”

“Lex owns The Talon. If I tell her to dump him and she actually follows my advice…” she shook her head. “I would lose The Talon Clark.” He frowned.

“You could get another job,” he offered. She gave him a compensatory smile.

“Maybe we should have Pete talk to her,” she countered. “After all, he doesn’t like Lex in the first place.”

“Bad idea,” Clark said.

“Why?”

“I’m pretty sure he would just try to kill Lex,” he said smiling. She nodded.

“We have to think of a plan ‘B’ then,” she thought out loud.

~*~*~*~*~

“So, did you actually have something for lunch besides coffee?” Lex asked, smiling a cocky grin at Chloe. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I had a whole three bites of a really bad cheeseburger.” She smiled. She was lucky to have gotten that much down with the conversations that were during and immediately after what was going to be her lunchtime. He leaned down so their foreheads were pressed together.

“That’s not good for you,” he said, his voice tinged with a little bit of concern. She laughed.

“Well, a lot of people would say that seeing you isn’t good for me either,” she shot back. Lex looked thoughtful and brushed his lips against Chloe’s, then ran his tongue along the outside of her mouth. He pulled her closer and he deepened the kiss. He pulled away slightly and Chloe looked at him expectantly.

“I’m very good for you,” he responded smugly. She pulled his head back down and gave him a kiss that practically made him swoon. He looked stunned when she finally pulled away for air.

“I agree.” She gazed into his lust filled eyes and undid his tie as she nipped him on the neck. He closed his eyes and let out a small moan. It was a little disconcerting that she was so good at making him lose control. He took his hands and brought her face up for another deep kiss that almost made Chloe melt.

“We should move this to a better location,” he said in a fevered tone. She looked a little confused and he motioned to the stairs. “My room. The servants won’t accidentally walk in on us there.” She smiled and nodded.

“Race?” She asked with a gleam in her eye, her smile beaming. He stepped closer to her, never keeping his stare away from her eyes. She recognized the intense look and stepped back a couple of steps, but was still smiling. She almost tripped, but he caught her.

“I have a better idea,” he said, picking her up and throwing her over his shoulder. She squealed with delight and he carried her over to a guest room off one of the main floor hallways.

The room had an elegant décor and as Chloe looked around it she shook her head. Lex came up behind her and kissed her neck.

“You don’t like it?” He asked as he ran his fingers along the bottom hem of her shirt.

“No, I like it. I’m just not sure I can get used to it is all,” Chloe mumbled the last part and shivered when Lex blew in her ear. He began to remove her top and she quickly took over and threw it on the floor. He smiled as she turned to face him and pulled her close.

“The only thing you need to get used to here is me,” his smooth voice murmured in her ear. They finished undressing as he moved her backward toward the bed.

~*~*~*~*~

Clark and Lana had made their way to the Kent farm and were sitting at the kitchen table discussing what their plan ‘B’ should be. Lana had called her aunt to let her know that she was eating dinner over there. Clark was starting to feel a little bit bad about thinking of a way to break Chloe and Lex up. She seemed to be happy when she was talking about Lex earlier. But, on the plus side, he was getting to spend more time with Lana now. He smiled.

“Any other ideas?” He asked. She rested her head on her hands on the table like she was tired and shook her head.

“Any other ideas about what?” Jonathan Kent walked in to the room as he overheard Clark’s last statement. Lana raised her head.

“We’re trying to come up with a way to break up…”

“A couple of our friends,” Clark interjected, giving a quick look to Lana so she’d understand. Jonathan looked suspicious as he grabbed a beer out of the refrigerator.

“Why would you want to do that?” He asked. Clark had a guilty feeling wash over him, but Lana seemed oblivious.

“She’s way too good for him, and we think he’s going to end up hurting her,” she answered. Clark seemed a little taken aback by her answer. It’s not like Lana and Chloe were good friends, but then, Lana didn’t really have a lot of good friends since she quit cheerleading.

“I see,” Jonathan said, giving Clark an almost scolding look. “Well, my best advice to you would be to leave it alone.” Clark and Lana gave him strange expressions but didn’t say anything. “If she really is too good for him, then she’ll probably realize that sooner rather than later and dump him on her own. And if you interfere, they’ll both probably blame you for the break up and you lose two of your friends.” Lana frowned.

“But we can’t just let her stay in a relationship that’s bad for her,” she argued. Jonathan nodded.

“You can express your concerns, but ultimately, I think you need to leave the decision up to them,” he responded. Clark grinned a little.

“I don’t think you’d be saying that if you knew who it was,” he mumbled. Lana was close enough to hear him and she giggled, but his father just arched an eyebrow.

“It’s someone I know?” He asked and Clark sunk down in his chair as he blushed.

“Forget I said anything,” Clark said. Jonathan nodded and gave them another suspicious look before heading back to the other room. Clark turned to Lana. “I don’t want Chloe and Lex to be mad at us,” he said, thinking about his dad’s earlier comment. She gave him a look of agreement.

“I know. But we have to do or say something. So back to square one I guess?” She asked. He nodded.

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe’s body was lost in waves of passion as Lex’s hands slid down her legs. She gasped softly when he ran his tongue along the flesh between her thighs. Lex moved quickly up her body. His mouth found hers and kissed her hungrily. Chloe’s lips parted and their tongues moved against each other’s. Chloe felt dizzy. Her body was reeling from his onslaught on her senses. Lex’s mouth and hands seemed to be all over her body. Her body was trembling when Lex moved over her again. Chloe groaned in pleasure when he slid inside her. He set a steady rhythm and looked into her eyes before descending upon her mouth with his own again. As they both reached their climax, neither of them heard the knocking on the door.

~*~*~
    Ch. 2
    ~*~*~

The knocking got louder and more persistent. Lex groaned, but he ignored it. He leaned down and kissed Chloe with a passion that made her head swim. She smiled.

“Sounds important,” she commented, when the knocking hadn’t stopped. Lex kissed his way along her jaw until he got to her ear. He slowly traced his tongue along it and then blew softly. She shivered in delight. She could feel his warm lips touching her ear when he started to speak.

“I love you Chloe, and nothing is more important than being inside you,” he said, then moved his way down her neck with his tongue. Her arms clung onto him as she tried to gain control over her senses. The knocking continued and Lex got angry. “What part of do not disturb for whatever reason do you not understand?” He growled loudly through the door. Chloe giggled and snuggled up next to him. He kissed her. “I’m sorry.” She shook her head and motioned to the door as she covered herself with a sheet. He got up and quickly pulled on his slacks. He opened the door and gave a death glare to his butler. “What?” He asked in a perturbed voice.

“I’m sorry sir, but there’s a Mr. Sullivan here to see you and he’s rather insistent.” The butler stood stoically in front of him, waiting for a reply. Lex sighed and turned back to Chloe.

“How do you want me to handle this?” He asked. She shook her head in frustration and closed her eyes.

“I don’t suppose you could just tell him to go away?” She asked half jokingly. He smirked.

“I could, but then you’d probably have to move in with me,” he replied. ‘Which wouldn’t be a bad deal at all for me,’ he thought. She smiled.

“Good one,” she said and started to get up, holding the sheet around her. “Give me a couple minutes to get dressed and I’ll talk to him.” His expression remained neutral and he turned around to the butler.

“See him to the library and tell him that I’ll be there shortly,” Lex said curtly and shut the door upon the butler’s nod and departure. He frowned. “Maybe you should let me be the one to talk to him Chloe, he did come to see me.” Chloe sighed as she slipped her skirt back on. “You’re already getting your clothes back on? I could have bought you a little time.” Chloe rolled her eyes.

“You just like seeing me naked,” she kidded. He smiled.

“Your point being?” He asked with a completely serious tone. She brought his head down to kiss him.

“No point, but you’d better get your clothes on too. I’m pretty sure my Dad will freak out if he sees you like that,” she said, motioning to his body, and the fact that he was wearing slacks and nothing else. He smirked.

“Probably,” he agreed and put the rest of his clothes on. He looked serious again. “I really think you should let me be the one to talk to him Chloe.”

“Why?”

“I have a feeling that I have more experience dealing with an irate father than you do,” he paused. “And I don’t want you to get hurt.” Chloe grinned sympathetically to the first part of his statement.

“He’s not going to hurt me Lex,” she argued.

“Maybe not physically, but emotional scars can last a lot longer.” He shook his head. “Just let me deal with it right now alright?” She looked pensive and finally nodded.

“Can I least be in the room?”

“No,” he answered as they began to walk toward the library. “Some things might be said that,” he cringed a little, “you really won’t want to hear.”

“Yeah?” She looked over at Lex. He seemed a little concerned.

“Do you think you’d be able to handle the situation with your dad as well as you handled the situation with Clark?” He asked. She frowned.

“No,” she admitted. “He’s a pushover when it comes to some things, but I don’t think he will be with this.” Lex put his arm around her and kissed her temple.

“So let me deal with it then,” he said, stopping her in the hallway to kiss her. “You can go have the chef make you some real food.” The self-confident smirk was back on his face, and Chloe shook her head. How could such an annoying thing be so endearing on him?

“Alright,” she answered. “Which way to the kitchen?” He grinned and pointed toward the opposite direction. She started to walk that way, but was yanked back by his strong hand on her arm. She raised an eyebrow questioningly. Lex bent down and pressed his lips to hers. She smiled under his mouth and raised her arms up around his neck. He suckled on her bottom lip and she moaned. Their tongues started dueling and both were getting swept up in the moment. Chloe finally pulled away. “Better leave now or I never will,” she said, as she steadied herself by leaning her head against his chest. He held her tight.

“It’s only for a little while,” he said, for his own benefit as well as hers. She nodded and looked up at him as she pulled away.

“I love you,” she said with a smile.

“I love you too.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex entered the doorway of the library.

“Mr. Sullivan,” he greeted in an impartial tone. Gabe Sullivan turned at the sound of Lex’s voice. “You needed to see me?” He could see the man clenching his hands into fists and releasing them, but made no mention of it.

“Are you sleeping with my daughter?” He asked without giving Lex a greeting in return. Lex raised an eyebrow.

“That’s what you wanted to see me about?” He responded. Gabe closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath.

“Are you?” He asked again. Lex forced a small grin onto his lips.

“Please sit down Mr. Sullivan,” he said, motioning to one chair while he sat in another. Gabe reluctantly sat down. “Chloe and I are seeing each other, and she told me that you were informed this afternoon. Is that correct?” He asked, already knowing the answer. Gabe nodded.

“You haven’t answered my question,” he said knowingly. Lex nodded once.

“You’re right, I haven’t. Nor am I going to do so, but allow me to ensure you that I love your daughter and have nothing but honorable intentions toward her,” he replied. Gabe gave him a hard glare.

“Why is it that you can say things like that and make them sound like you mean them?” He asked, clearly near his breaking point.

“I do mean it,” Lex said honestly.

~*~*~*~*~

Gabe sighed and relaxed into his chair.

“I would hand in my resignation and move Chloe far away from here, but I get the feeling that you would find her,” he said in a defeated tone. Lex grinned and nodded.

“I would,” he answered confidently. “Now,” he said as he stood up, “if you’ll pardon me, Chloe and I have dinner plans for this evening that we need to get ready for.” He motioned to the door with his arm. Gabe stood up and sighed again, shaking his head.

“You make it sound like you’re married,” he quipped, not expecting the reaction he got next. A smirk came across Lex’s face.

“In time Mr. Sullivan, in time.”

Gabe’s mouth dropped open as if to come up with a response, but quickly closed when he realized he had none. He shook his head again and began to make his way out of the room, and was almost run over by one of the maids, who came running into the room.

“Mr. Luthor!” She exclaimed in a worried voice. Lex furrowed his brow slightly.

“What is it?” He asked her. She started playing with her fingers nervously.

“Miss Sullivan, she has collapsed in the kitchen and we can’t wake her up,” she rambled out. Lex’s eyes grew wide in panic and he ran toward the kitchen, Gabe and the maid fast on his heels.

“Did you call 911?” Lex asked as they were making their way to the kitchen. She nodded.

“They should be here soon,” she answered. They reached the entrance to the kitchen. The doors were pulled back and locked in place, presumably so the paramedics would have better access, but it provided a scene that made Lex and Gabe’s hearts sink.

“Chloe!” Lex yelled and ran over to kneel next to her as she was lying on the floor unconscious. He looked up at the kitchen staff with an accusatory glare. “What happened?”

“We were just talking,” a young man answered. Lex gave him a death stare that made him back up a few steps, even though Lex was still crouched next to Chloe. “She said that she was feeling dizzy, she held her head, and then she fell,” the man tried to explain. Lex gently stroked Chloe’s hair with his hand. He turned his attention to Gabe.

“Has this ever happened before?”

“No,” Gabe looked pensive. “She sometimes gets low blood sugar, but I saw that she had some fast food for lunch, and that wasn’t that long ago. Even if she didn’t have anything to eat, she would have gotten the shakes and a headache for a while, but I’ve never seen her pass out.” Lex rubbed his hand over his face and stood up when he heard the paramedics running down the hall.

They quickly took over the scene and tried to revive her. She was still breathing, but had a nasty bump on her head from the fall, and her heart rate was accelerated. She just wouldn’t wake up. They put her on a stretcher and carried her outside to the ambulance. Lex and Gabe both watched as they lifted her into the vehicle, and both men obviously wanted to go with her. A fact not lost on the paramedics.

“We can only take one of you to ride along, the other one will need to meet us there,” the man said. Everything in Lex’s body and soul yearned to go with Chloe, but his thankfully his mind kicked in. If he wasn’t selfless about this, Chloe’s dad might never forgive him, and Chloe might never forgive him. He gave an unspoken acquiescent nod to Gabe for him to get in the ambulance and Gabe acknowledged him with a thankfully nod back and got in the back of the vehicle. Lex didn’t even wait for the ambulance doors to close before he was behind the wheel of his own car.

~*~*~*~*~

Clark was giving Lana a ride home when they heard the ambulance sirens.

“I hope they’re okay,” Lana commented, not even knowing whom the passenger was. Clark grinned. Lana had a heart of gold.

“I’m sure they will be,” he said to try and make her feel better. He pulled the truck to the side of the road when he saw the ambulance lights coming toward them. The ambulance quickly passed with Lex driving right behind them. Clark and Lana both frowned.

“Wasn’t that Lex?” Lana asked. Clark turned the truck around to follow the ambulance and Lex’s car to the hospital. When they found a parking spot and went into the ER, they saw Lex and Gabe both sitting in the waiting room. Clark got a bad feeling in his stomach. They walked over to Lex.

“What happened?” Clark asked. Lana put a hand on his arm to calm him down when she heard how accusatory Clark had asked the question. Lex looked distraught and had his face in his hands. It took everything his body had just to keep it together. Gabe walked over to them.

“It wasn’t Lex’s fault,” he said, surprising even himself. Clark looked at him confused. “Chloe was in the kitchen, apparently started to get dizzy, and just collapsed,” he explained. Lana gasped and covered her mouth with her hand.

“Is she going to be alright?” She asked. Lex thought it interesting that Lana seemed genuinely concerned about Chloe. He didn’t think they were friends, or at least not good friends.

“We don’t know,” Gabe answered.

“Yes,” Lex said. “She’s a fighter.” Clark suddenly felt empathy for his friend whom he had been at odds with. He remembered how he felt all of those times that Chloe was taken into a situation that could have, and probably would have, killed her if he hadn’t been there. But, even with his abilities, he knew that there wouldn’t have been anything he could do to help her. Even now he couldn’t help her. He knew Lex was just trying to convince himself that Chloe was going to be all right. He was doing what he had to do.

A woman, who looked to be in her early forties, and wearing scrubs, came over to the group. Lex immediately stood up.

“Are you Chloe Sullivan’s family?” She asked, already knowing having been directed toward them by the nurse at the desk.

“Yes,” Lex answered without hesitation. Lana looked at him questioningly, but he didn’t acknowledge her.

“I’m Dr. Schafer,” she said, not holding out a hand to shake.

“How is she?” Gabe asked. She gave a neutral expression to the man.

“It looks like she’ll be fine,” the doctor answered. “We were able to calm her heart rate down a little bit, that alone could have been responsible for the dizziness.” Lex nodded but said nothing. “We’ll know more when we get her blood tests back.”

“Did she wake up?” Lex asked in a worried voice. He noticed that the doctor frowned ever so slightly.

“Not yet, but like I said, we’ll have more to go on when we get the tests back.”

“When will that be?” Lex asked impatiently.

“Depends on how busy the lab is, but probably about a half hour,” she replied.

“Can we see her?” Clark asked. Lex gave him an indiscernible look, part of him jealous that Clark would probably be allowed to visit her, part of him angry for not asking the question himself sooner. The doctor shook her head.

“Not yet,” she answered, and looked fearful when Lex glared at her. “Soon,” she said in a promising voice, “But we need the blood results to see what we’re up against first.” With that, the doctor walked away. Lex turned to Clark and Lana.

“You two should go home,” he said in an authoritative voice. Clark clenched his hands into fists, trying to calm down, but not really succeeding.

“We’re staying.”

~*~*~
    Ch. 3
    ~*~*~

Lex paced the ER’s waiting area for what seemed like an eternity. Every once and a while he would receive a look from Clark, indicating that he blamed Lex for the situation Chloe was in now. He sighed. Maybe he was, he had no way of knowing since that stupid doctor hadn’t come out with any news. It had been almost an hour now. He spotted a nurse checking in at the desk and saw that she was pointed over to them. Gabe noticed too and his face turned pale. It couldn’t be good news if they were sending a nurse out to tell them what it was.

“What happened?” Gabe asked, not allowing the nurse to introduce herself. The woman gave a motherly smile.

“Maybe you would feel more comfortable sitting down?” She motioned to the chairs, but no one in the group moved. “Or not,” she mumbled. She caught Lex’s stare and shivered in fear. “They think they know what’s wrong, but the doctor had a couple of questions she wanted me to ask you.”

“And?” Lex asked impatiently. The nurse raised the piece of paper in her hand so she could read from it.

“Has she been under any sort of stress lately?” She asked, getting a pen out of her pocket to write down their responses. She noticed that all three of the men looked somewhat guilty, but didn’t answer. She looked at Lana. “So that would be a ‘yes’ then?” Lana nodded. She jotted down the answer. “On the entrance forms, it said that she wasn’t on any medications that you know about?” Gabe nodded. “Do you know of any reason why an SNRI medication would be in her system?” They looked surprised and confused.

“SNRI?” Clark questioned. The nurse grinned.

“Serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor,” the nurse answered kindly. At least this young man wasn’t shooting her death glares. Clark still looked confused. “They’re generally used for weight loss for obesity, but there have been some disturbing cases recently where people have been using it as a poison because of its side effects.” Lana covered her mouth in shock. Clark was about to shoot an accusatory glare at Lex, but saw that Lex looked angry and worried. It was a dangerous combination. “Obviously she’s not obese, so…”

“Oh God!” Lex appeared ill. “It was meant for me, I’m sure of it.” Lex murmured and then took out his cell phone.

“Sir, you can’t use that in here,” the nurse reminded him, pointing to the various signs up that said no cell phones. He grimaced. “There’s a courtesy phone at the front desk,” she said as she pointed to it. He nodded once. Clark followed him over to the phone.

“Why do you think it was meant for you?” He asked. Lex turned around and gave him a blank stare.

“Clark,” he started in an exasperated tone, but finished explaining to Clark like he was a child. “Nobody has any reason to try and hurt Chloe, but me…” he trailed off, letting Clark come to the only conclusion.

“How would they have given it to her though?” Lana asked, now practically a fixture at Clark’s side. Lex had the phone in hand and had already dialed the number for the police. He gave Lana a quick look of disbelief and turned his attention back to the phone, silently wondering how it was that his beautiful and intelligent Chloe had managed to put up with them for so long. His. He liked that. Whoever had done this to her would pay dearly.

Lana guided Clark far enough away from the phone so they could talk, but she still spoke in an almost whispered voice.

“This is really bad Clark. Do you see now why she shouldn’t be going out with him?” Lana glanced over at Lex to make sure he wasn’t looking at them, and then turned her attention back to Clark. Clark frowned.

“I don’t really think it was his fault Lana,” Clark began defending Lex again. She shook her head.

“Chloe wouldn’t have been hurt if Lex wasn’t such a target,” she argued. Clark frowned. He had some thinking to do.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The nurse was still asking Gabe questions about Chloe. Apparently the forms he had filled out when they first arrived didn’t include the full medical history sheets. She wrote down his response to her final question and gave a small smile. She felt very comfortable talking to him, especially without the younger bald man looming immediately nearby. Unfortunately, this caused her to let her guard down.

“So, do you think she’s going to be okay?” Gabe asked.

“I can’t say for sure, but I have a good feeling. It’s really a shame she had to go through this, especially in her condition,” she answered. Gabe arched an eyebrow.

“Her condition?” Suspicion dripped off his comment and he glanced over at Lex, who was now speaking with two police detectives. The nurse paled slightly and stammered.

“Oh, I, uh, thought the doctor had already discussed the blood test results with you. I should really let her be the one to talk to you about it,” she said, clearly flustered at her disclosing something that she shouldn’t have. “It was very nice meeting you,” she rushed the words out, and turned on her heel, fleeing quickly down the hallway. Gabe walked over to Lex, his anger coming back full force. He wanted so badly to punch him, but knew better, especially when the police were in the same room. Clark looked at Gabe and dashed over to him to stop him from doing whatever it looked like he was going to do once he got to Lex. Clark grabbed Gabe’s arm and Gabe stopped, turning his attention to him.

“How is Chloe doing?” Clark asked. He noticed that Gabe kept looking over at Lex menacingly. He put on his best ‘oblivious smile’; at least that’s what Chloe called it. Gabe sighed.

“The nurse thinks she’ll be alright, but doesn’t know for sure,” he said, silently wondering when the Kent boy had gotten so strong. He was sure he was going to have a bruise on his arm in the morning. Clark nodded.

“That’s good,” Clark affirmed.

“So why do you look like you’re ready to kill Lex?” Lana asked, having joined them at this point. Gabe sighed and rubbed his face. The police nodded to him as they left. He forced a grin onto his face.

“Will you excuse me please?” He asked, not waiting for a reply, and started toward Lex again, who was walking toward the group anyway. “Why couldn’t you just leave her alone?” Lex looked confused. Gabe started rambling, but at least his anger was being projected into that instead of physical violence. “Why couldn’t you just let her date some nice boy her own age, like Clark?” He gave Lex a hard stare. “If that nurse meant what I think she did, I’ll kill you myself.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Dr. Schafer came into Chloe’s room as soon as the nurse informed her that Chloe had woken up. She grinned compassionately as she wrote something down in her chart.

“How are you feeling?” She asked. Chloe gave her a blank expression and looked around the room.

“Why am I in the hospital?” Chloe asked, without acknowledging the doctor’s question.

“You passed out,” Dr. Schafer informed her. “You’ve been unconscious for a few hours now, we couldn’t wake you up.” Chloe tried to sit up, but was quickly taken over by a sensation of the room spinning. She moaned and swallowed down the nausea that came with flopping her head back against the pillow.

“What’s wrong with me?” Chloe asked. She had been feeling fine earlier that day. The doctor frowned a little and sat down in a chair next to Chloe’s bed.

“Your lab results were a little troubling,” she commented. Chloe waited for her to continue. “We found traces of an SNRI medication in your system. The police believe that someone used it to try and poison your boyfriend, but you got the food with it instead.” Chloe nodded. The doctor hesitated. The next part might not be as easy to explain.

“There’s something else?” Chloe asked when she saw the expression on the doctor’s face. Dr. Schafer had an unreadable look on her face.

“Your blood tests also show that you’re pregnant, not far along though, no more than a couple of days,” she responded. Chloe’s mouth dropped open a little and she suddenly appeared much more pale.

“What?” Chloe asked in disbelief. “That’s not possible, we used protection. And, don’t you usually have to wait a few weeks for pregnancy tests to even show a positive?” Chloe rambled defensively. The doctor grinned.

“It depends on the woman actually, and no protection is 100% fail safe,” she countered and got a serious look on her face. “We don’t know the side effects the medication could have on the fetus.” Chloe’s head was swimming and she clutched the sheets of the bed with her hands. Dr. Schafer noticed Chloe’s panicked reaction. “There are options.” Chloe slowly turned her attention back to the doctor. “I’ll get you some pamphlets and we can go over them together later, alright?” Chloe swallowed again and managed to nod once. Dr. Schafer stood up. “Your father and your friends are in the waiting area. Do you feel up to visitors?” Chloe ran a hand over her face, but didn’t object. “I’ll send your father in first.” Chloe closed her eyes and heard Dr. Schafer walk away. What was she going to tell her dad?

~*~*~*~*~

Clark was using the courtesy phone after Lana had finished. He was talking to his mom.

“I just have a really bad feeling Mom,” he explained.

“I’m sure Chloe will be all right Clark,” she said in a comforting voice. Clark frowned.

“The nurse told her dad something that I don’t think she was supposed to. He threatened to kill Lex, but he won’t tell us what the nurse said.” Clark paused. “I can’t lose her Mom, she’s one of the most important people to me.”

“The only thing you can do is stand by her Clark,” she answered. “I know I can’t talk you into coming home and getting some sleep, so try and rest while you’re there. Okay?” She was more concerned for Chloe than she was letting on. She had always known Gabe to be a pretty sensible person with a relaxed personality. For him to threaten Lex, he must either blame him for Chloe’s condition, which may not improve, or it was something else that she didn’t even want to think about. Dr. Schafer came out of the hallway and they all noticed her right away.

“I have to go, Chloe’s doctor is here, bye Mom,” Clark said quickly, not waiting for a response before hanging up the phone. They all rushed over toward her and she held up a hand.

“She’s awake, but I’d like for her father to see her first since he’s immediate family,” she said, motioning Gabe to the hallway she had just come from. He gave one last angry scowl at Lex and then followed her.

“The nurse said something about a ‘condition’,” he said, emphasizing the last word. She stopped walking and turned to him.

“I see,” she said in a non-committing voice. “She shouldn’t have told you anything.”

“She’s my daughter, I have a right to know,” he argued in a firm voice. She shook her head.

“The state of Kansas disagrees with you sir. She’s sixteen, so she has private rights regarding the disclosure of medical information to other individuals, even her parents.” She gave him a warning look and he sighed.

“She’s pregnant isn’t she?” His voice still rang with anger.

“If you’re going to be like this when you go to her room, I can’t allow you to see her. I won’t do anything that hinders my patient’s ability to get well.” Her voice was stern and scolding, and made Gabe feel like he was the worst father in the world. She noticed the defeat creeping into his demeanor. “Can you be nice and not give her the third degree? Because I don’t think she’s feeling up to it right now.” He ran hand through his hair as if in thought, and nodded. She started walking again, not sure whether to believe him. Most parents tended to get irrational if they found out their teenage daughter was pregnant, but she hadn’t admitted anything to him, and Chloe seemed feisty enough to handle herself. Dr. Schafer still decided to put security in the room with them, just in case.

~*~*~*~*~

Lex paced in the waiting room. Lana gave him a sympathetic look.

“He’s her dad Lex, he should be the one to see her first,” she said in a reassuring tone. He turned around and stared at her. He was angry and obviously hurting, but still managed to keep his voice level.

“I’m seeing her next,” he proclaimed, stating the situation clearly in case Clark and Lana had gotten other ideas into their heads. Clark frowned.

“I think I should see her, I’ve known her longer,” he said. Lana gripped Clark’s arm when she saw the warning in Lex’s expression. Clark turned to Lana, a questioning look on his face. Lana looked at Lex.

“We can go in after you,” she said. Lex nodded once and resumed his pacing.

“What was that about?” Clark asked her in a hushed voice.

“I don’t think he’ll hurt her Clark,” she replied in the same lower tone. “But I know he’ll hurt us if we try and go first.” She glanced back over at him for a moment. “I don’t even think he agreed with Mr. Sullivan going in there before him. Just think how he would react if his competition went in first too.” Clark narrowed his eyes a little.

“Competition?” He queried. She gave him a small smile.

“It’s not exactly a secret how you feel about Chloe Clark,” she said. He shook his head.

“We’re just friends,” he insisted. “I…”

“You have a crush on me,” she interrupted, and had to keep from giggling at the expression on Clark’s face. “But you’re in love with her.”

~*~*~
    Ch. 4
    ~*~*~

Dr. Schafer stopped at the entrance to Chloe’s room. The door was closed and she motioned for security to come over. Gabe frowned.

“Is that really necessary?” He asked. She kept her authoritative look.

“Yes, it’s procedure,” she replied, hoping he wouldn’t realize it was a lie. He glared at her.

“And will this ‘procedure’,” he said with disdain, “apply to her boyfriend as well?” He took a deep breath to try and calm himself down. She nodded.

“Yes sir,” she said noticing his excited state. “Although I doubt you’ll have anything to worry about there. I’m sure the bald man will keep him in line.”

“He is the bald man,” he replied with a sardonic grin. Dr. Schafer looked shocked.

“Oh,” she paused and then opened the door. “The guard will be outside the door, but the door will be open.” He closed his eyes for a moment and she opened the door. Gabe looked over at his daughter lying on the bed and felt a wave of guilt and concern sweep through him. Chloe was pale, and looked fragile and vulnerable. Dr. Schafer walked away, figuring that everything would be all right after seeing his expression, and if it wasn’t, then security was there. She now had more concern about the girl’s boyfriend though.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex’s head whipped around at Lana’s statement. She thought she had said it quietly enough that he wouldn’t be able to hear her, but her eyes grew wide in fear when she saw that he had. Clark smiled sheepishly, trying to diffuse the situation.

“I’m not, you know, Chloe and I already talked about this,” he stuttered out. Lex made a noise that sounded remarkably like an animal’s growl and Lana got out of her seat, clutching Clark’s hand in hers, forcing him to stand as well. She looked at Clark.

“You know Clark, I’m suddenly really hungry. How ‘bout we go to the cafeteria?” She asked, obviously trying to get them out of there before Lex decided to kill them. Clark plastered a smile on his face and nodded.

“Good idea,” he agreed. The two practically ran out of the waiting room. Lex took a deep breath and then sighed. He sat down in one of the chairs and rubbed a hand over his face.

“Chloe almost dies, her father wants to kill me, and Clark Kent’s in love with her. What’s next?” He muttered to himself.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Gabe pulled a chair next to Chloe’s bed and sat down. He reached out tentatively for her hand. They said she was awake, but her eyes were closed and her cheeks were still wet from crying. Her eyes fluttered open at her dad’s hand on her own. She smiled weakly.

“Hey,” she greeted. Her voice was raspy and she felt dehydrated. He grinned. “Could you get me some water please?” He nodded and poured her some water. She used the bed mechanism to pull up to a sitting position, but it still made her dizzy, and she looked like she was ready to throw up. Gabe frowned.

“You okay sweetie?” He asked. Chloe was sipping the water, but nodded.

“Just a little queasy, I’ll be fine as soon as the room stops spinning,” she joked. He chuckled, but Chloe noticed that it didn’t have his usual enthusiasm. “Are you okay?” He let go of her hand and stood up.

“Not really,” he answered. He started to walk around the room, trying to avoid eye contact with her. “It’s not every day you find out that your only daughter is dating your boss, then you were poisoned because someone was trying to kill him, added to the fact that you’re pregnant with his child,” he sighed. “It’s just a lot to take in one day Chloe.” He didn’t notice the shocked look on her face.

“You…?” She asked, leaving the end of the question dangling in the air. He turned to face her. He was still upset about the whole situation, but he couldn’t be angry with her, especially not seeing her like this.

“The nurse let it slip, sorry,” he explained. She nodded.

“Does Lex know?” She asked. He cringed when he heard the name, but covered it well; at least he thought he did.

“No.” There was an uncomfortable silence, but Gabe knew what she was going to ask next.

“Is he here?” She asked shakily. He eyed her for a moment before answering.

“Last time I checked,” he said and then paused. “Are you…?”

“Keeping it?” She finished for him. He nodded. “I don’t know. The doctor said they don’t know how the poison could have affected it, but they’re guessing not good.” He nodded. He stepped over to her when she got quiet and appeared sorrowful. He took her hand in his and gave her a small grin.

“I know I’ve been a little out of line about all of this,” he rolled his eyes when she grinned. “But, you know I’ll be here for you, whatever you decide.” Chloe felt a tear start to roll down her face and she quickly wiped it off.

“Thanks Dad,” she said, her voice choking. He leaned down and gave her a hug. When he pulled away he sighed.

“Do you want me to send him in?” He asked. Chloe closed her eyes, attempting to fight off another dizzy spell. Gabe mistook the action. “I hate to say this, seeing as how I’ve been wanting to kill him since I found out, but you’re going to have to talk to him eventually.” Chloe opened her eyes. Her head was still swimming and she felt like she was going to pass out.

“I want to see him Dad,” she said, a little confused. “But I think I need to see the doctor first. These dizzy spells are knocking me out.” He frowned in concern and reached over to push the call button for the nurse.

“The nurse I talked to said that it would take at least a day for all of the medication to get out of your system.”

“Great,” she mumbled. “Don’t they have anti-dizzy meds they could give me?” He grinned.

“Those could probably hurt,” he paused and motioned to her stomach, “you know.”

“Oh. Right. Could you tell Lex to come back then?” She asked in a hopeful voice. He frowned but nodded.

“You do know that I still don’t approve of him?” He asked, although it came out as more of a statement. She chuckled.

“Yeah, I got that.”

Gabe left the room and told the nurse at the desk that there was no need to send someone over to Chloe’s room. He also told her that he was going to be sending in Chloe’s boyfriend to see her, so to be sure to keep the security guard there. The nurse laughed, but nodded when she saw the serious look on his face. Gabe made his way down the corridor until he reached the waiting room. Lex was still sitting, but he didn’t see Clark and Lana. Gabe walked up to him.

“Is this the part where you kill me?” Lex asked without looking up. Gabe grumbled.

“I doubt Chloe would appreciate that right now since she asked to see you,” he said. Lex looked up and Gabe could see the hopeful look on his face. “But I reserve the right to kill you later.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lex walked down the hallway until he saw the security guard at the door. ‘This must be it,’ he thought to himself. The guard glared at him, but let him in the room. He swiftly moved to Chloe’s side and sat in the chair her father left by the bed. He lovingly stroked her arm with his fingers.

“Chloe?” He asked. She opened her eyes and smiled at him.

“Lex,” she said. He swept a few strands of hair out of her face.

“God, Chloe, I’m so sorry,” he said.

“Not your fault,” she replied. There was a moment of silence while they just looked at each other. “Did my dad tell you?” She finally asked. Lex noticed the hesitation in her voice.

“Tell me what?” He leaned down and peppered her face with soft kisses. She grinned but held up a hand to try and move him away. He gave her a serious look. “You’re not going to die are you?” She laughed and he let out a breath. “Then it’s not serious,” he said and started kissing her again. She gripped his arm with her hand.

“It is serious Lex,” she said, her voice slightly hushed. She liked his attention and she didn’t know if she had the energy to get in a fight with him. Meaningless verbal battles over insignificant things were one thing, telling him that she was pregnant and having to hear him rant at her was something else entirely. He grinned and arched an eyebrow, moving to sit down again.

“Your father doesn’t want me to see you anymore?” He guessed.

“I’m sure he would be thrilled if that happened,” she responded dryly. He chuckled.

“Alright, we’ve already established that you’re not dying and that your dad doesn’t want me to date you, so what’s going on?” He asked. He noticed Chloe wasn’t looking at him and had suddenly become very interested in the blanket on top of her. “Polyester blend would be my guess,” he said, trying to lighten her mood. She grinned.

“I’m not sure how to tell you this,” she said. He reached for her hand and kissed it.

“You can tell me anything,” he prodded. She looked over at him her eyes met his.

“No,” she paused and Lex could see tears welling up in her eyes. He frowned and furrowed his brow. “You’ll hate me, it’s not my fault, but you’ll hate me,” she mumbled. He wiped a tear off her face with his thumb.

“Please tell me that you’re not going to dump me for Clark Kent,” he said in all seriousness. She managed to shake her head without getting dizzy, a good sign that she was starting to get better. “Then what?”

“The blood work,” she looked at him and he nodded his head once for her to continue. “It said that I’m a day or two along,” she said so quietly that he barely heard her.

“Along what?” He asked. She wanted to laugh at the absurdity of it all, but it came out as more of a loud release of breath.

“Um, it said that I’m pregnant,” she said, as she looked the other way. She really didn’t want to look at his face when she said it, and she didn’t want to handle dealing with him all irate like she thought he would probably be. It’s certainly how she was. Lex sat in stunned silence, but he hadn’t let go of her hand.

“I see,” he finally said, and then a grin tugged at his lips. “Well, that explains why your dad wants to kill me.” His voice was neutral and Chloe hadn’t seen him grin, so she winced when he made the comment.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know, we used protection,” Chloe started to ramble but was cut off by Lex’s lips brushing against her own. “Um.” He deepened the kiss and she moved her hands to his shoulders. He finally pulled away and gave her a smirk. She raised an eyebrow. “What the hell was that?” He laughed.

“You thought I was going to be angry,” he observed. She narrowed her eyes at him.

“Ye-ah,” she strung out her answer. He was still smiling. “You’re not angry,” she said.

“I’m not angry,” he confirmed. She rested her head back against her pillow.

“Huh. Interesting.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Clark and Lana made their way back up to the waiting room from the cafeteria in the basement. Lana quickly looked around to make sure Lex wasn’t there, or if he was, that he wasn’t going to kill them.

“All clear,” she announced with a smile. They saw Gabe and nodded, but moved to sit down in chairs across the room so they could talk.

“Lana, you never answered me when we were eating,” Clark started. Lana smiled, hoping that he had forgotten that little fact, but it was always best to play naïve.

“About what?” She asked. He tilted his head and looked at her and she looked down. “Oh, right, about why I think you’re in love with Chloe.” He nodded. “It’s obvious Clark. I mean, if I didn’t really believe it, why would I be trying to break up her and Lex?” Clark looked confused and suspicious.

“What do you mean? You gave me all the reasons that she shouldn’t be with him,” he said. She grinned.

“I believe that’s what’s called ‘telling someone what they want to hear’ Clark. You may not realize that you’re in love with her, but you are, and you’re my friend, so I want you to be happy,” she replied. His mouth dropped open.

“But…” he started and she held up a hand.

“Who’s the first friend you tell most things to?” She asked. He frowned.

“Uh, well, Chloe, but…”

“And how did you really feel when you saw her in her dress for the dance?” Lana continued. Clark blushed and looked down. He rubbed the back of his neck with his hand.

“I don’t know if I should tell you that,” he said embarrassed. She giggled and touched his leg.

“It’s okay Clark,” she said. “I already knew the answer to that before I asked you.” He looked up and his blush hadn’t gone away. “The question is, what are you going to do about it?”

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    ~*~*~
    Ch. 5
    ~*~*~

“So,” Lex said as he nuzzled Chloe’s neck, “names?” He kissed along her jaw line to her lips and noticed her confused expression.

“Names?” She repeated. He grinned.

“We can only call the kid ‘baby Luthor’ for so long before they start to get resentful,” he smirked. “I’m open to any names besides Clark.” She smiled, but he noticed that it didn’t reach her eyes. “What’s wrong?” She sighed.

“You know me entirely too well for someone I haven’t been going out with for that long,” she commented.

“And because I know you so well, I know that you just said that to avoid answering what I just asked you,” he countered. She had a very serious look on her face and she brought her hand up to caress his cheek. “Now you have me worried. What’s going on?”

“They,” she paused, trying not to get too emotional, but she could feel the lump in her throat forming. “They don’t know what effects the poison is going to have on the baby.” Her lip quivered and she wouldn’t look him in the eye. “We may not even need to get to the naming stage.” Lex leaned over and kissed her forehead. He grinned as he pulled back.

“That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard,” he said. Chloe let out a very unladylike snort and Lex chuckled. “After all, look at their gene pool. There’s also the fact that the pregnancy test showed positive so soon.”

“I asked about that, they said it depended on the woman,” Chloe responded. Lex grinned.

“Exactly. You’re a fighter, I’m a fighter,” Lex started and Chloe rolled her eyes, effectively making her dizzy, but it was worth it to see the look on Lex’s face. “Our kids will be fighters too,” he finished in a soft and comforting voice. Chloe arched an eyebrow.

“Kids? As in plural?” Chloe called him on his previous statement. He shrugged.

“We’re still young and have lots of breeding years left, just not ruling out any possibilities,” he smirked.

“Jerk,” she said kiddingly and hit his arm. He laughed.

“You’re assuming that I’m joking,” Lex smiled.

“Of course you’re joking, I’m only sixteen,” she said.

“My great grandmother was only fifteen when she had her first child.”

“Well, that’s different,” Chloe said. “That was back in the days when people got married that young too.” Lex arched an eyebrow.

“Your point being?” He asked. Chloe playfully narrowed her eyes at his serious tone, but chose not to respond. “So how long are they keeping you here?” He asked. Chloe groaned.

“At least another day, they want to make sure all of the bad stuff is out of my system,” she answered. He nodded.

“I’m sure Kent will want to see you, he and Lana have been out in the waiting room all this time.” Lex really didn’t want Chloe to allow Clark to see her, especially not without him being in the room, but he knew that if he started acting jealous and possessive it would make her pull away, and he couldn’t risk that, especially now.

“Wow!” She exclaimed. “And you’re actually telling me this?” She smiled broadly. “I have the best boyfriend in the world.” Lex laughed and leaned over to kiss her.

“No argument,” he said, conveniently leaving out that he knew Clark was in love with her.

~*~*~*~*~

Lex reluctantly left Chloe to go tell Clark and Lana that it was their turn to see her. Before all of this happened, he would have felt more comfortable with Lana being in the room too, but now it seemed that she was just as anxious to have Chloe break up with him and go out with Clark as Clark was. He frowned. He knew under the current circumstances that Chloe would never leave him; he just needed to make sure that the circumstances didn’t change. He walked over to where Clark and Lana sat and they looked up at his foreboding presence.

“She wants to see you,” he muttered. Clark alone stood up and Lex winced. He motioned to Lana. “You too. I think she’s getting too tired to take anymore separate visitors.” Lana nodded and stood up. She had been hoping that Clark could get some alone time with Chloe, but she wasn’t going to cross Lex’s path tonight. Clark and Lana disappeared down the hallway and Lex walked over to where Gabe was still sitting. He offered no sort of emotion.

“Chloe asked me to give you a ride home,” Lex said in a neutral voice. Gabe glanced at the clock, nodded, and stood up.

“Thanks.”

~*~*~*~*~

Clark and Lana entered Chloe’s room. Lana smiled to herself as Clark rushed to Chloe’s side. Chloe smiled weakly.

“Hey guys,” she greeted. Clark brushed the top of her hair with her hand and she pulled back a little, but tried not to make it too obvious. After all, he was still her friend, and that could have just been a friendly gesture. Clark and Lana were both smiling. Clark held Chloe’s hand and began to lace his fingers with hers.

“Are you doing okay? Your dad said you were still pretty dizzy,” he said with concern. Chloe laughed.

“Tell me about it, I don’t think I have anything left to puke up,” she said. Clark and Lana both jokingly made ‘eww’ faces.

“I was worried about you Chlo,” Clark admitted. She grinned.

“I’ll be all right Clark. With any luck, I might even get to go home tomorrow night,” Chloe responded. Lana frowned slightly. It worked to her tactical advantage to have Chloe in the hospital a little longer so Clark could dote over her and win her back.

“Well, don’t rush things,” Lana said and both heads turned toward her. “I mean, we wouldn’t want you to think you’re all better and then have to come right back here.” Clark smiled and nodded, turning his attention back to Chloe.

“She’s right. And you know, I’ll be here to take care of you, whatever you need,” he added. Lana smiled to herself again. Clark had picked up on that much quicker than she thought he would. Chloe smiled.

“I know you will Clark, but it’s not necessary,” Chloe said. He shook his head.

“We’re still friends Chloe and friends take care of each other,” he reasoned. She nodded.

“Okay,” she agreed. Clark looked at her struggle to keep her eyes open and he chuckled.

“You’re pretty tired, we should get going,” he said as he stood up, but he still held her hand. He quickly glanced over at Lana, who was giving him a ‘go on’ look. He bent down and kissed Chloe’s cheek. “I love you Chlo.”

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: You all are going to be so mad at me. In this part, the evil part of Lex’s personality shows up for a little bit. It kind of ties the storyline together, so I had to put it in there. Sorry. Also, this part takes place the next afternoon.

~*~*~*~*~

Lex saw Clark doing his chores in the barn, and briefly contemplated whether confronting him was such a good idea. But, that morning he had asked Chloe what Clark and Lana had to say the previous night and she told him what happened. His blood was boiling. This had to end.

“You couldn’t leave her alone could you Clark?” Lex asked, his anger rising to the surface.

“What do you mean?” Clark feigned innocence. There was an uncomfortable moment of silence while Lex tried to calm himself down.

“Chloe told me what you said to her,” Lex elaborated. Clark looked down at his feet.

“I meant it,” he responded, raising his eyes to Lex’s in a challenging manner. Lex gritted his teeth and nodded once.

“I know you did,” he said as he took a small step closer. “You’re incredibly lucky that she thinks you meant only as a friend,” Lex said menacingly.

“I’ll have to go clear that up the,” Clark said as he side-stepped out of Lex’s way. Clark could practically see the imaginary steam coming from Lex’s ears.

“It won’t matter Clark, she won’t leave me,” Lex said with confidence.

“Why do you think that?” Clark asked in an almost mocking tone. “After all, she hasn’t been going out with you for that long, and she was in love with me for years.”

“Chloe doesn’t strike me as a woman who would leave the future father of her children,” Lex half-grinned. Clark started laughing, but only because he hadn’t been told what the situation was.

“And you think it will be you?” Clark continued laughing.

“It’s already me Clark,” Lex responded in a serious tone, giving Clark a minute to digest what he had just said. Clark’s face looked like his world had just collapsed.

“What?” He asked disbelievingly, making sure he had heard him correctly. Lex sighed. If this boy wasn’t his rival for Chloe’s affections, then he might feel sorry for him.

“Chloe’s pregnant Clark,” he said, expecting a little more of Clark’s life to crumble and for the young man to recognize defeat. Instead, Clark looked angry and had a suspicious gleam in his eyes. Clark ran his hands over his face.

“God Lex! You did this on purpose didn’t you?!” He yelled. Lex tried hard to hide the smirk that spread across his features, but he didn’t quite succeed. “Why?!” Clark continued. “To make sure she wouldn’t come back to me?!” Lex raised an eyebrow.

“She was never with you to begin with,” Lex paused. “But essentially yes,” he admitted. “Chloe’s the first person I’ve actually loved since my mother died,” he tried to explain. “I couldn’t risk her leaving me because of you or any other high school schmuck who secretly fawns all over her.”

Lex didn’t see or anticipate the fist that connected with his face, leaving him bleeding and unconscious on the barn floor.

~*~*~*~*~

Clark ran outside the barn and saw that the truck was gone. It was dangerous to use his abilities in the middle of the day, but he had to get to Chloe, he had to tell her what was going on. He ran as fast as he could to the hospital and rushed to Chloe’s room once he got there.

“Chloe!” He said a little too loudly, waking her from her sleep. She looked at him blankly for a moment.

“What’s going on?” She asked, concern lacing the notes of her voice. He swooped down and gave her a giant hug. Chloe was confused. Why all of the affection all of a sudden? She pulled away from him. “What’s wrong Clark?” He ran a hand through his hair, his other hand still gripping onto hers for dear life. He was shaking a little.

“Chloe, it’s Lex,” he started. Her eyes grew wide in panic.

“What happened?!” She asked, feeling a sudden terror run through her body. He shook his head.

“He did this on purpose Chlo,” he said. She looked confused.

“He did what on purpose?” She asked and he sat down next to her on the bed. He took a deep breath, which Chloe knew was never a sign of good news with him. He gently placed his hand on her stomach.

“He got you pregnant on purpose, so you wouldn’t leave him,” he explained. Chloe’s expression told Clark that she didn’t believe him.

“Clark…” she said, only to be cut off by the insistent ‘I’m telling you the truth’ look on his face. “Why would he do that?” She asked, still not entirely believing what Clark was telling her. He frowned.

“I don’t know, it’s like he’s obsessed or something,” Clark answered. “But he doesn’t like losing just with regular stuff, imagine that like a zillion times worse for losing the woman he thinks he’s in love with.” Chloe glared at him.

“Lex does love me Clark, he doesn’t just think it,” she argued. He leaned in closer to her and brushed some hair away from her face with his fingers, his other hand still entwined with hers. He shook his head and pulled back a little.

“I would never say this to you otherwise, but I think you…” He was about to tell her that he thought she should get rid of the pregnancy or at least that she should dump Lex and let him help raise the child, but he paused when he saw the questioning look on her face. She was staring at his knuckles, which he only now realized were covered in Lex’s blood.
    Her face paled and her voice shook when she spoke.

“What did you do?”

~*~*~
    Ch. 6
    ~*~*~

Chloe looked at Clark. She was stunned and fearful, and noticed that he had yet to answer her question.

“Clark?” She asked again. Clark kept his gaze down. He realized that he should feel some remorse for what he had done, and in a way he did, just not in any way he could explain to Chloe so that she’d believe him.

“I lost my temper,” he admitted in a quiet voice. She stared at him disbelievingly.

“You lost your temper?” The temporary feeling of astonishment at his previous words was being replaced by anger. “You have blood on you Clark! Did you hurt him?!” She raised her voice almost to a yell and he winced. He absently started stroking her hand with his thumb.

“I don’t know,” he said honestly as he dared to look up into her eyes. “I hit him and then I came here to tell you what I found out.”

“How many times did you hit him?” Chloe asked, not really wanting to know the answer. Clark shook his head.

“Just once Chlo, I promise.” He sighed and found himself getting lost in her eyes. He mentally chided himself. ‘You could have prevented all of this from happening if you had just admitted the truth to yourself sooner,’ he thought. “I’m sure he’ll be fine,” he said reassuringly.

“He’d better be,” Chloe answered in a stern voice that caught Clark off guard. He stared at her lovingly.

“Chloe, I know you think you love him,” Clark began. Chloe opened her mouth to interrupt, but Clark put a finger up to her lips. “But can you honestly say that you love someone who would intentionally get you pregnant without you knowing about it? Just so he can eliminate the competition?”

“He doesn’t have any competition,” she said bluntly. She didn’t believe what Clark was telling her, and now she was trying to ward off all of the terrible things going through her head about how hurt Lex was. Clark grinned and started stroking his fingers up and down her arm.

“Chloe, I know that I haven’t always been there for you, but I love you. That’s why I came to tell you what happened.” He had to restrain himself from leaning in and kissing her. He knew that in her state she was more likely to punch him than to reciprocate the kiss.

“I know you love me Clark,” she said, exasperated. “You’re my best friend, of course you love me. I love you too.” Clark’s face lit up and he smiled brightly.

“You do?” He asked, his voice full of hope. She nodded once.

“And for a while, I even thought that I loved you as more than a friend,” she admitted. Much to her surprise, not even a little blush rose to her cheeks. “But, now that I know what that kind of love is really like…” she trailed off and shook her head, immediately regretting the motion with the wave of nausea that swept through her. “I’m sorry if I gave you a hard time about Lana, I know that you two will be happy together when you finally get around to asking her out.” Clark looked like he was in shock. He hadn’t been expecting that.

“Chloe, you don’t understand, I don’t love Lana like that, I love you,” Clark rambled out. Chloe grinned.

“I know what you meant, but I don’t feel that way about you, not anymore,” she said, trying to let him down easy. She had a sneaking suspicion that Lana was the only reason he had these ‘new found feelings’. She figured a change of topic would be the best way to kill two birds with one stone. “I’m tired. Do you think I can see Lex before I go back to sleep?” She asked. Clark frowned at her dismissal of his admission, but a nagging voice inside his head kept telling him that he could win her back if he played his cards right.

“Uh, I don’t know if that’s such a good idea,” Clark said. She narrowed her eyes at him.

“He was bleeding,” she observed, motioning to his hand with her head. “You brought him to the hospital to get fixed up, right?” Clark didn’t answer. “Right?” She asked a little bit louder. He refused to look her in the eyes. “You left him there?!” Now Chloe was really angry. “What’s the matter with you?!”

“No, no, he’s just waiting for a doctor right now,” Clark lied. He wasn’t very good at it, but it sounded convincing enough. He could certainly get home and then back to the hospital with Lex in time for Chloe to not know he lied. He stood up. “Do you want me to go check on him?” Chloe pushed her feeling that Clark was being less than honest with her aside and nodded.

“Please,” she said. She was getting tired, but she doubted that she’d be able to get any sleep if she didn’t know for sure that Lex was actually all right. She watched Clark leave the room and then closed her eyes. ‘Please let him be okay.’

~*~*~*~*~

Clark was walking toward the exit when he caught a glimpse of his mom out of the corner of his eye.

“Mom!” He said a little louder than he needed to, so he could get her attention. She turned to look at him. He walked over to her, and the closer he got, he could see that her expression was that of pure worry. Clark frowned. He gave her hug. “Is everything okay?” She shook her head and wrapped her arms across her body.

“I found Lex in the barn,” she began, unsure of how to break the news to her son that his friend was injured. “He was just lying there and there was so much blood,” she said, and then briefly covered her mouth with her hand. “I’m so sorry Clark, one of the horses must have gotten free or something.” Clark didn’t know what to say. He couldn’t very well tell her that he had hit him because he stole his girl and got her pregnant. Better to pretend that he didn’t know what had happened, at least for now.

“Wow,” he said, managing to pull off a surprised look quite successfully. “Is he going to be all right?” His mom ran a hand through her hair.

“I don’t know honey. The paramedics said that his vitals were strong, so I think that’s probably a good sign.” She paused. “Do you know why he would be in our barn?” Clark frowned and shrugged.

“He probably came to see me, but I’ve been here with Chloe,” he lied again. He was getting better at it. Although, it helped that he hadn’t told his parents anything about Chloe and Lex’s relationship and everything surrounding it. She seemed to believe him and patted his arm.

“These past couple of days have been really hard for you haven’t they?” She asked in a comforting voice. He looked at the floor. They had been difficult, but not for the reasons she thought.

“Yeah,” he said.

“Well, don’t worry. Chloe and Lex are both fighters. They’ll be fine.”

~*~*~*~*~

Chloe fell asleep waiting for Clark to come back and give her news about Lex. She didn’t know how much time had passed, but she was awoken by a familiar female voice.

“Chloe?” A hand reached out and gently touched her own, prompting Chloe to slowly open her eyes.

“Mrs. Kent,” she acknowledged. Clark’s mom gave Chloe a sympathetic grin and sat down next to Chloe.

“How are you feeling?” She asked. Chloe noticed that she seemed genuinely concerned and figured that Clark hadn’t clued his parents in to what had been going on.

“A little better, they said I might be able to go home later,” Chloe answered with a little bit of hope in her voice.

“Well, take it easy. You have a tendency not to rest when you’re not being forced to,” Martha observed. Chloe smiled.

“So I’ve been told,” she responded.

“Clark told me to tell you that Lex should be fine,” Martha said. “I understand that you two have become friends.” Contentment passed over Chloe’s face and she grinned.

“More than that,” she said confidently. Martha looked confused and almost shocked.

“What do you mean?” She asked, making sure she heard what she thought she heard.

“We’re dating,” Chloe confirmed. ‘Well, sort of,’ she thought. Martha’s mouth dropped open a little and she suddenly appeared very concerned.

“Are you sure that’s such a good idea sweetie?” She asked in her best motherly voice. Chloe almost laughed, but was able to restrain herself. She couldn’t hide the smile that came across her lips though.

“It’s okay, really,” Chloe stressed the last part. “I’m a little surprised that Clark didn’t tell you.” A myriad of thoughts were running through Martha’s head and not one of them was good. She had a feeling that her son had been lying to her about Lex being at the barn, but had decided to trust him. Now she felt that was a bad decision. He had hurt Lex. It would not have been difficult, given his abilities, but the reason hadn’t been clear until Chloe told her that she and Lex were dating. She could only see a very bad outcome to the entire situation.

“Well, I’m sure he had a good reason,” she said as she stood up to leave. “If there’s anything you need, be sure to let me know. Okay Chloe?” Chloe grinned and nodded. Martha went to find her son. They needed to have a talk.

~*~*~*~*~

Lex strayed back to consciousness and squinted his eyes at the bright hospital lights. The last thing he remembered was being in the Kents’ barn arguing with Clark, but now he was in the hospital and in a great deal of pain. He groaned, and a nurse checking his chart looked up.

“Good to see you awake Mr. Luthor,” she commented. She was in her late thirties and from the way she carried herself, Lex could tell that she would not be intimidated easily. He glared at her.

“Are you in any pain?” She asked. Pain was an understatement. “You had to receive some surgical services, but they didn’t give you any pain medication because you were out cold,” she said. Well, that certainly explained things. Lex continued to glare at her, but she rolled her eyes and set his chart down. “I’ll go get your doctor.” She turned on her heel and left him in the room. A few minutes later Dr. Schafer came into the room. Lex’s eyes widened at the site of her. Someone he recognized, Chloe’s doctor, thank God.

“I’m going to give you some morphine for the pain,” she started and he shook his head. She gave him a questioning look.

“No narcotics,” he said simply. She nodded in understanding.

“Alright. I’m sure we can come up with something else,” she said and gave him a grin. “Your girlfriend has been asking about you. Do you want me to give her a message?”

“Can I see her?” Lex tried to raise himself up to a sitting position, but his head hurt so much. He attempted to rub his jaw, but realized that it was bandaged. Dr. Schafer grimaced.

“It’s going to hurt for a while. You’re very lucky that only minimal reconstructive surgery was needed. Do you remember what happened?” She asked. He furrowed his brow in thought and then shook his head. “It’s okay, that’s to be expected.”

“Can I see her?” Lex asked again, realizing that she hadn’t answered him the first time.

“I was planning on releasing her this evening, maybe I can have someone bring her by in a wheelchair or something,” she said sympathetically. “Has she talked to you about the options yet?” He raised an eyebrow at her. “Regarding the pregnancy.”

“There are no options,” he replied in a neutral voice that came across somewhat threatening. “We’re keeping our child.” She frowned; it obviously wasn’t the answer she was hoping for.

“With all due respect, I think you need to look at the big picture. Ms. Sullivan is a beautiful and intelligent young woman. But, she’s only sixteen. If you make her go through with this pregnancy, she could end up resenting you and herself for the rest of your lives.” Lex was getting angry, and he was still in a lot of pain. It wasn’t the best combination for keeping his temper under control.

“Chloe is beautiful and intelligent. I have no doubts that our child will be also. I have no intention of ever letting either one of them go. And if you try to convince her to get rid of the baby, I’ll make sure you regret it,” he threatened. His words were like ice and Dr. Schafer swallowed in fear. “Do you understand?” She nodded and stepped further away from him.

“I’ll have the nurse bring some pain medication in,” she barely managed speak without tripping over her words. She turned and left the room and Lex laid his head back against the pillow. He didn’t understand why everyone was trying to stand in the way of his relationship with Chloe. He almost felt bad about what he had told Clark. He hadn’t planned to get Chloe pregnant, but he couldn’t help using Clark’s belief that he did against him. He just wanted him to see that Chloe was his, would always be his; but the pain radiating from his head and down his body was starting to make him wonder if Clark Kent wasn’t a more formidable opponent for Chloe’s affections than he had believed.

~*~*~*~*~

A few hours later, a hospital volunteer peeked inside Lex’s room. His eyes were closed, but he sensed her presence.

“What?” He asked. The girl smiled.

“Are you up for visitors?” She asked. He opened his eyes and looked at her, then looked past her to see the front part of a wheelchair in the hallway. He grinned and nodded. The girl pushed Chloe into Lex’s room and positioned the chair so that it was next to the bed. “Just call a nurse when you’re ready to go back to your room,” she said and then left. Chloe reached out a hand and clasped onto Lex’s arm.

“How are you doing?” She asked. She couldn’t see his injuries, but if the bandages on his skull were any indication, Clark must have hit him several times with some sort of farm equipment. She didn’t want to think about that now. She was just glad he was alive. He grinned.

“I’m a fighter,” he answered in a quirky manner. She smiled. There was a little bit of a pause in the conversation as their fingers caressed each other’s. “Dr. Schafer wanted to know if you had gone over the options with me,” he said quietly. As much as he wanted her to keep the pregnancy, it was her decision, and legally he could do nothing about it.

“Yeah,” she answered in the same volume. She looked down and he got worried.

‘Crap,’ he thought. ‘She doesn’t want to have the baby, or the poison affected the baby somehow, or…’

“Lex, I know it’s only a couple days along, and I don’t expect you to be happy with this, but I,” she paused and he shut his eyes and cringed. This couldn’t be happening. “I don’t think I could ever get rid of it,” she said in a small voice. He opened his eyes.

“I didn’t catch that last part,” he lied. She still wasn’t looking at his face, so she couldn’t see the grin that was developing there.

“I don’t think I could ever get rid of it,” she said a little louder. He smiled and she looked up to see his reaction.

“God Chloe, I’d kiss you if I wasn’t in so much pain.”

~*~*~
    Ch. 7
    ~*~*~

“You hit him?!” Martha yelled. She was livid that her son could do such a thing, even with him liking Chloe. Of course, she didn’t know about the pregnancy. Clark looked very guilty and put his hands in his pockets. His dad smiled widely.

“Well it’s about time is all I have to say,” Jonathan said proudly. Martha turned her head and shot him a glare, causing him to shrink down in his chair. “Of course, you should be careful about that sort of thing son, especially given your abilities.” He looked at his wife to make sure that was enough of an apologetic statement to her.

“You could have killed him Clark,” she said, lowering the volume of her voice a little. “We’ll be lucky if he doesn’t press charges.” She wanted him to know how serious this was.

“You don’t know what happened Mom,” Clark tried to explain.

“You found out that Chloe was dating Lex,” Martha replied, thinking that was the reason. Clark shook his head.

“Chloe’s dating Lex?” Jonathan asked, clearly confused and somewhat horrified.

“I already knew that,” he admitted. Martha’s mouth dropped open. “I found out that he got her pregnant on purpose to keep her from coming back to me,” he said quietly, knowing that his parents wouldn’t react well to that news.

“What?!” Jonathan yelled and jumped out of his chair. “That son of a bitch!” He started stomping toward the door, but Martha stopped him.

“Does she know this?” She asked.

“I told her, but I don’t think she believed me,” Clark said. Martha closed her eyes and sighed.

“I don’t know how I should punish you Clark,” she finally said. Jonathan arched an eyebrow.

“Punish him?” He asked incredulously.

“He punched Lex and knocked him out. Lex had to have reconstructive surgery Jonathan,” she explained.

“So?” He asked, not impressed with the reasons for the punishment.

“If it were anyone else besides Lex Luthor?” She asked. He huffed and stood by his son.

“Anyone else besides Lex Luthor wouldn’t have stolen her away from Clark and gotten her pregnant intentionally,” he argued, but then seeing the stern expression on her face he relented and turned to face his son. “Sorry.” Clark nodded.

“It’s okay, I was expecting it,” he said as he sat down.

~*~*~*~*~

“Hey sweetheart,” Gabe greeted Chloe as he walked into her hospital room. She was already dressed and sitting in a wheelchair with a volunteer standing behind her. She smiled and he chuckled. “Not anxious to get out of here or anything are you?” He asked sarcastically. She shook her head lightly.

“I’m really, really sick of hospitals. I just want to go home,” she answered. He smiled.

“I can take her,” he said to the volunteer.

“I’m sorry sir, but it’s hospital…”

“Policy,” he interrupted and nodded his head. “This hospital seems to have a lot of those. Alright, well, let’s get going then.”

“Wait,” Chloe said. Gabe turned around to face her again.

“Forget something?”

“No, I just want to stop and tell Lex that I’m leaving,” she answered.

“Did he go to the cafeteria or something?” Gabe asked, confused as to why Lex would be at the hospital and not in her room. ‘Not that I mind,’ he thought to himself.

“No, he’s in his room,” Chloe said, earning a questioning look from her father. She sighed. “He got in a fight with Clark yesterday.” Her dad arched an eyebrow.

“And now he’s in the hospital?” Gabe asked in a surprised tone. ‘Good for Clark,’ he cheered silently.

“Don’t seem too happy about it or anything Dad,” Chloe said, noticing the bemused expression that had formed on her father’s face.

“Ah, sorry,” he said, a little embarrassed that Chloe had noticed.

“So, can we stop by his room before we leave?” She asked. He frowned and nodded his head.

“Not for long, you’re supposed to be resting,” he said. She smiled in agreement. As they made their way to Lex’s room, Gabe was having trouble suppressing his pride in Clark for standing up to Lex. He didn’t know all of the details, but he suspected that it had something to do with his daughter.

“Hey, are you awake?” Chloe asked as the volunteer wheeled her into the room. Lex smiled and then winced at the pain.

“Yeah. It’s time for another dose of medication. It’s kind of hard to sleep without them,” he answered. She nodded and gave him a sympathetic look. “Mr. Sullivan,” he said, acknowledging her father’s presence.

“Mr. Luthor,” he greeted back. Lex looked like a truck had hit him. ‘Or a tractor,’ Gabe thought to himself. Lex took in Chloe’s appearance.

“You’re leaving?” He asked.

“Yep,” she said cheerfully. “No more poison in my system. I’m still queasy, not dizzy though, and they said that the nausea should go away in a few months.”

“Great,” Lex said sarcastically. “You weren’t eating enough as it was.” Gabe appeared thoughtful at Lex’s comment. That’s not the sort of thing that you notice if you don’t care about someone.

~*~*~*~*~

“Hello?” Clark answered the phone while his parents tried to decide on an apt punishment for him.

“Hi Clark,” Lana’s voice came through the receiver. She didn’t sound happy. “What is this I hear about you sending Lex to the hospital?”

“Clark? Are you going to answer me?” Lana asked after a brief lapse in the conversation.

“Yes,” he finally said.

“Yes?”

“Yes, I hit Lex and he had to go to the hospital,” Clark confirmed begrudgingly. He didn’t want to talk to Lana about this. He didn’t need another person to be angry with him. Why couldn’t it have been Pete who called? Then he would have been getting a pat on the back. He heard Lana sigh.

“Clark, you do realize that you’ve just pushed Chloe further into his arms right?” She asked. “I thought the goal here was to get her away from him,” she continued without waiting for a response.

“Lana, you don’t know everything that’s going on,” Clark said, feebly trying to stick up for himself.

“Chloe’s pregnant,” she responded in a somewhat arrogant tone. Clark was confused.

“How did you know that?”

“Same way I knew that you hit Lex, I have a source at the hospital,” she said proudly.

“Oh.”

“Anyway, you still didn’t answer my question,” she prodded. This time, Clark sighed.

“Yes, I realize that I probably pushed her further into Lex’s arms,” he admitted. Lana grumbled something Clark couldn’t make out.

“Alright Clark, I’m going to tell you something that my ‘source’ told me, but only if you use it to make amends with Chloe. Understood?” She was starting to get frustrated with Clark’s incompetence when it came to matters of the heart. He perked up a little at the information. If there was something that could help him, he wanted to know what it was.

“What is it?”

“Chloe was released this morning,” she said. “But Lex won’t be released for another week or so.” Her voice was chipper. If a week apart from Lex didn’t make Chloe wake up and see Clark standing right in front of her, then fine, she deserved Lex. Lana wondered if the rumor her friend had told her about Lex impregnating Chloe on purpose was true, but she figured it would only upset Clark if she asked him if he knew.

“Really?” He asked hopefully. His inner voice was cheering him on.

“Yeah, so go over there and do something about it,” she said.

“I will, thanks Lana.” He had a genuine smile on his face for the first time in what seemed like forever. Or, at least since he found out that Lex got Chloe pregnant. His parents walked back into the room.

“Alright Clark, we’ve decided on a punishment,” his mom announced. He cringed. This couldn’t be good. He looked at them expectantly.

“Grounded. One month,” his dad said. Martha looked at Jonathan. “And extra chores around the farm for the duration.” Clark groaned. How was he supposed to see Chloe if he was grounded?

“Something wrong?” Martha raised her eyebrow and crossed her arms, challenging him to contest what they had said. He shook his head.

“Chloe was released this morning. I was just hoping to go apologize to her,” he said. He hoped they bought the apology bit. Clark did want to say he was sorry, but that obviously wasn’t his primary motivation for wanting to see Chloe. His mom’s expression softened a little.

“Well,” she started and looked at Jonathan. He nodded. “I guess that would be alright. But no going out with your other friends or anything like that.” Clark smiled and nodded.

“No problem, thanks Mom, Dad,” he said as he ran out the door. Jonathan rolled his eyes.

“Like we could have kept him here if we wanted to.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Gabe answered the door and smiled widely when he saw that it was Clark.

“Hi Clark,” he greeted. “Come on in.” Clark walked past him and pushed his hands into his pockets.

“Lana told me that Chloe was released this morning,” Clark said. “I thought I’d come by and say hi.” Gabe nodded.

“She’s taking a nap, but I don’t think she’ll mind if you wake her up,” Gabe responded with a smile. He liked Clark. Clark knew everything about Chloe and Lex and was still willing to be her friend, or more. Clark made his way to her room and watched her sleep for a moment before nudging her.

“Chloe,” he said quietly. She stirred and opened her eyes. Her vision was a little blurry, but she could make out that it was Clark.

“Clark?” She asked and sat up in her bed rubbing her eyes. “What are you doing here?” He smiled and sat on her bed.

“I just wanted to say I’m sorry for everything,” he said. Chloe looked surprised. On the way over to her house, he had developed a new strategy to get her back. He would tell her what she wanted to hear until he was back in her good graces, they would start spending more time together, and then it would just be a matter of time.

“Really?” She asked, a skeptical tone to her voice. He smiled again and looked down.

“Yeah, I just overreacted. You know?” He saw Chloe nod and he grinned. “So, you think you can forgive me?” He partially looked up, his face wearing a puppy dog expression. She smiled and touched his hand.

“Of course Clark. I’m sorry too.” They both leaned in and gave each other a big hug. Clark stood up and ran a hand through his hair.

“I need to get home, I just wanted to say that I was sorry,” he said. Chloe nodded.

“I’m glad you came over.”

“Me too,” Clark said. ‘Me too.’ Clark left Chloe’s house feeling confident of his future with her. Chloe’s cell phone rang five minutes after Clark had gone.

“Hello?” She answered.

“Hey,” Lex greeted. She smiled at the sound of his voice. “So I was thinking…”

“Good for you sweetie,” she jested. Lex chuckled.

“I can’t believe you still have that wit on you after being in the hospital. The poison didn’t get rid of any of it?” He teased.

“None,” she answered. “So what were you thinking about?”

“Right. What I was thinking about. I know you’re only sixteen, but when are we doing the whole marriage thing?”

~*~*~
    Ch. 8
    ~*~*~

Chloe shook her head in shock. She couldn’t have heard him right.

“What?” She asked. She heard Lex laugh through the phone and her heart started beating ten times faster than usual.

“When are we getting married?” He rephrased. Chloe paused. She couldn’t marry him. It wasn’t enough that she was only sixteen and pregnant?

“Um, we’re not,” she replied in a quiet voice. She could almost see him furrowing his brow at her.

“I see,” he said in a calm voice. Much too calm Chloe thought. “Did something happen with the baby? Did you change your mind?” He was trying desperately to stay rational, but knew he was going to lose it if he lost her.

“No. I just, I just can’t be married Lex,” she said. He sighed.

“You’re willing to have my child but you don’t want to marry me?” He asked to clarify. “Please Chloe, for the love of God, tell me that Clark hasn’t gotten to you.”

“I talked to Clark just a little bit ago, he came over to say he was sorry about everything,” Chloe said. “And, I’m not ruling out marriage eventually, just…” She shook her head. She couldn’t possibly be throwing away what might be her destiny for her dreams could she? “I don’t know what to do Lex,” she admitted. Lex could hear Chloe start crying and mentally slapped himself.

‘Of course she’s not going to want a proposal like that you idiot,’ he thought. ‘Especially after a visit from Kent.’ He had to keep himself from growling. “Chloe, I’m sorry,” he said. She sniffled.

“When are you getting out?” She asked, changing the topic.

“Good news on that front actually, I’m being released tomorrow,” he answered.

“Really?” Chloe cheered up. “I thought they would have to keep you longer than that.” Lex chuckled.

“Well, therein lies one of the benefits in having money,” he said. She rolled her eyes. He stopped talking for a moment while he thought. “Chloe, do you still want to be with me?”

“How can you even ask me that?” She asked him back.

“I notice that you didn’t answer my question,” he observed.

“Yes.”

“Alright, when I get out, I want to spend more time with you then. Understood?” He asked; although Chloe took it for what it was, a demand, but she decided not to call him on it.

“I think I can handle that,” she replied.

“Good. I love you,” Lex said. He never would have been able to say those words to anyone else. He hoped Chloe knew how much that meant.

“I love you too Lex,” she said. He smiled.

“Chloe, one more thing…”

“Yes?”

“Don’t let Clark hang all over you until I get out,” he said with a smirk that was quickly shot down by Chloe’s response.

“So after you get out it’s okay if I let him hang all over me?” She teased.

“That’s not funny.” He could hear Chloe laughing and he shook his head. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” They said their good-byes and Lex sat in his hospital bed wondering what he could do to convince Chloe to marry him. He thought the pregnancy alone should be enough to at least make her consider it, but he knew how independent she was. He shook his head again. The problem wasn’t her independence. She could be with him and still retain whom she was and what she wanted to do with her life. The problem was Clark Kent. He was sure of it, and he needed to find a way to get him out of the picture for good.

~*~*~*~*~*~

The next day, Chloe was awake and feeling much better. Her dad had taken too much time off to be with her as it was and had to go into work, so she was alone at the house. The doorbell rang and she walked over to answer it. Lex. He looked awful, and she silently wondered how Clark could have caused so much damage by just hitting him. She carefully gave him a hug and he laughed.

“I’m not going to break you know,” he half-whispered into her ear. Shivers coursed through her body and she tried to shake them off.

“Don’t do that,” she said a little too gruffly.

“Something wrong?” He asked. She walked over to the couch and he followed her.

“Right now is not the time to be thinking lusty thoughts about you,” she said, and then realized that it had been out loud when she saw the smile on his face. Chloe blushed and tried to face the other way. “Sorry.” He turned her face back around.

“It’s okay. I’ll be better soon. Feel free to think all the lusty thoughts you want about me,” he smirked and she grinned. He paused and leaned closer to her, moving some stray hairs behind her ear. “How long do you need?” He asked seriously. She looked at him.

“For what?” She asked.

“Until you love me enough to say yes,” he said quietly. His voice was quivering and he didn’t want her to hear it.

“I already love you enough to say yes,” she said, copying his volume. “That’s the problem.”

“It doesn’t sound like a problem,” he replied. He moved his head to nuzzle against her neck and she closed her eyes.

“And if you were in my position?” She asked, searching for an answer that could help her understand all of the emotions she was having. Lex pulled back and looked thoughtful.

“Thank God you’re not me,” he finally said, a grin tugging at his lips. She laughed. “You’re afraid you’ll lose yourself, your identity,” he guessed. She nodded.

“I don’t want to give up my dreams,” she said, holding back the tears that were forming in her eyes.

“You don’t have to,” he said reassuringly. He moved to kneel down in front of her. He took her hands in his. “Marry me,” he said. It sounded remarkably unlike a question. She gazed at him for a long time before answering. She stared at every feature on his face, including the bandages and the bruising that was creeping out from underneath them. They had both been through so much and were still so young. Chloe finally gave her answer. She nodded.

“Yes,” she said. After all, who was she to reject destiny?

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    ~*~*~
    Ch. 9
    ~*~*~

“Chloe,” Lex said. He leaned up against the closed door. “Are you sure you wouldn’t rather have a big wedding with all your friends and family there?”

“I’m sure,” she responded from the other side of the door, and then laughed. “Can you imagine how many people would stand up to object?” Lex looked thoughtful.

“Good point,” he agreed.

“Exactly. It took how long to convince my dad to sign the paperwork allowing this? There’s just no way that we could have a big wedding.”

“So are you going to come out any time today? The judge is waiting in the living room,” he said impatiently.

“Fine. Go wait with him,” she replied.

“Chloe,” he pleaded in the sweetest tone he could muster, but it came out kind of whiney.

“You’re not supposed to see me before the ceremony anyway. I’ll meet you there in a couple of minutes,” she said, smoothing down her dress with her hands. He sighed loudly so she could hear it and then walked away. She briefly smiled to herself at his behavior. She did wish that her dad could be there, Clark and Pete too, maybe even Lana, but she knew none of them would agree with what they were doing. She wasn’t entirely sure she agreed with it herself, but she had to take the risk. She opened the door and walked toward the living room. She saw Lex standing there talking to the judge and she returned the judge’s smile when he looked over at her.

Lex turned to follow the judge’s gaze and a wide smile crossed his face. He held out his hand for her to come and stand next to him. She wore a simple, yet elegant, ivory silk dress with beading, and pearls in her hair.

“Lucky man,” the judge nudged Lex.

~*~*~*~*~

The bell for the kitchen entrance rang and one of the kitchen staff answered it. She smiled at Clark Kent, who was holding the first of many boxes of produce. She motioned for him to come in.

“Lex having another party?” He asked as he set the first box down. He was friendly with all of the kitchen staff at this point, and he knew they wouldn’t think he was prying for information. The woman smiled and signed the slip of paper Clark handed to her.

“Mr. Luthor is getting married today. He wants us to prepare a feast for him and his new wife,” she said as if it was nothing. Clark furrowed his brow.

“Married?” He asked. “Guess I didn’t get my invitation,” he tried to appear nonchalant about it as he brought another box in.

“No one got invitations,” she commented and looked through the produce approvingly. “It’s a private ceremony and there’s no reception. Damn shame if you ask me. With all his money they could have had a royal wedding, but Chloe said it was fine with her if they just eloped, and of course Mr. Luthor jumped all over that.” She rolled her eyes. Clark’s mouth was hanging open in shock.

“Ch-Chloe?” He stammered. She nodded.

“She said to call her by her first name, nice girl, full of spunk.” She looked at Clark. The color had drained from his face. “Are you alright son?” He shook his head.

“What time are they getting married?” He managed to get out.

“Right about now I imagine. The judge got here about a half hour ago.” She glanced up from looking at the produce and Clark was gone. She shook her head. “Strange boy.”

~*~*~*~*~

Clark ran to the living room and saw Lex and Chloe, his Chloe, standing there with the judge.

“I object!” He yelled. They turned to face him. Chloe looked stunned that he was even there, let alone objecting to the wedding. Lex, on the other hand, remained surprisingly calm.

“We’ve already passed that part Clark,” he said in a smooth voice that only fueled Clark’s anger with him. The judge looked thoughtful.

“Well, actually…” he began, but quickly shut up when Lex glared at him. Clark smirked.

“You can’t perform the wedding if I object can you?” He asked in recognition. Lex clenched his hands into fists. The judge looked at Lex expectantly. They had already said their vows. Truth be told, all he needed to do was pronounce them man and wife, although he hesitated to do so with the current objection.

“I just need to find out the reason for the objection and if it’s valid enough to keep from marrying them,” the judge replied. Clark nodded and walked over to them. He couldn’t stop looking at Chloe and Lex cringed. He didn’t like the way Clark was openly leering at his soon to be wife. The judge cleared his throat to get Clark’s attention. Clark looked up. “The reason?”

“She doesn’t love him, she’s only marrying him because he got her pregnant, and he did that intentionally without her knowledge,” Clark rambled, still eyeing Chloe. Lex had to applaud her efforts to not let this disruption upset her. She seemed to still be standing tall, although be it with an angry look on her face. The judge’s face paled and he shook his head to clear it.

“What?” He asked, making sure he had heard the young man correctly. He turned to Lex. “Is this true?”

“Which part?” Lex replied, causing a more discomfort to cross the judge’s features.

“Any of it,” he said. Lex tried to keep from rolling her eyes.

“Chloe does love me,” he glanced at Chloe for affirmation and she smiled and nodded. “She probably is only marrying me because I got her pregnant, but to my knowledge, quite a few marriages begin that way.” The judge nodded.

“And the third?” He asked. Lex sighed and ran his hand over the back of his neck.

“Not true. He assumed and I didn’t correct his assumption,” Lex answered. The judge let out a breath. Lex Luthor was a powerful man, and he had no desire to die. On the other hand, Luthor was also known for not being entirely truthful, and if the allegations were correct, he couldn’t let the young woman marry him.

“I see,” he finally said. “In that case, Mr. Luthor, will you please take Ms. Sullivan’s hand.” Lex reached out for her and Clark saw that their rings had already been exchanged. “With the power invested in me by the state of Kansas, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss your bride.” Lex pulled Chloe to him and kissed her softly, so as not to cause any pain in his jaw. Clark stumbled backward for a moment, shaking his head in disbelief, but then he saw the smile on Chloe’s face. He came over to her, despite a growl from Lex and gave her a warm hug.

“I’ll always be here if you need me,” he whispered in her ear and then kissed her cheek. Clark left the manor that day with a deep sense of regret. He would never again hesitate to act on something so important before it was too late.

The End

Elviriel
    Just a Guest!
    oh it was so great ! I almost felt pity for Clark !
    Did Lex really got her pregnat on purpose ?
    it was wonderful thanks !!!
    :chlexsign2: :chlexsign2:

Originally posted by Elviriel@May 26 2003, 02:02 AM

Did Lex really got her pregnat on purpose ?
    Of course he did... remember the smirk on his face...
    Great story... as always

:chlexsign3:

Luthor's Power Senior Member Sab_Luthor's Avatar
    i love it

and can u please do a sequel. :worship2:

NS Full Member
    I don't know what else to say or write except :worship2: !

I did read Amour Noire but I think I had left my review @ fanfiction. When I find AN story, I will leave one here as well.

Peace!

:chlexsign3:

kmdaugherty2821
    Just a Guest!
    "Clark left the manor that day with a deep sense of regret. He would never again hesitate to act on something so important before it was too late."

She deserves to be with lex anyways... and they dying question i have to know, even if you have already answered it.. Did lex get her pregnant on purpose? =) Great story!!!

:chlexsign4:

Shay
    Just a Guest!
    Wonderful story.

However....Lana and Clark got on my freaking nerves. I wanted to bitch slap the both of them and yell, "Butt the fuck out!"

But all was good and it ended as it should.

I'm off now to search for part 3.

...sleep all day. Senior Member Ainur's Avatar
    Oh my, this like a soap opera. I hate every one on this fic. Except for Chloe, Lex amd Martha. What the is wrong with Clark? Is he deficient? and Lana! I wanted to slap the pink out of her. Those 2 were Super annoying. Great job!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information