+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 185 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyouts, Hostile Takeovers & Matchmaking (PG-13/R)

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar

Re: Buyouts, Hostile Takeovers & Matchmaking (PG-13/R)

magnificent. even if it wasnt chlex, seeing chloe and lex in there own lives was still great!

OH! an update! an update! an update! Oh, oh my.

with clingy snobby bimbo who's going to (hopefully not) marry our Lex

and

with non-Chlex smut involving horny Teddy.... EEEEEeeew.

But, i shan't (!) complain, for an update is an update, regardless!
    I loved it loved it, you guys always write Chlo and Lex so well. I like how they both realize that what they have isn't really what they truly want or had hoped for. hopefully they will (with the help of lionabe!) find it in each other.

FANTASTIC WORK!!

NS Full Member

A/N: Sabby: So here you go fiends! An update! And Chlex interaction! And no significant others anywhere! And I swear it's the coke that causes all the exclamation point abuse! Enjoy! Oh and! Feedback!

A/N: Blue: So we actually have some Chlex interaction in this one. But, don't worry, the Lionabe isn't going anywhere. By the way, I *love* that name. Props to mimi71884.

Chloe had been putting this off for the past week but she knew that she would eventually have to face her father. He had invited her to lunch to catch up, as he put it. She really knew that it would be an inquisition about her life, that she was throwing it away and how long did she really think she could go on doing this with these men. It was the same conversation with every boyfriend. Her father got progressively more blunt with her. He wasn’t the pushover that he used to be.

She smiled at his secretary, Jane, and she motioned for Chloe to go right on in. Her father was on the phone but he smiled at her and waved, indicating that he wanted her to sit down. She did so and watched as her father discussed some important matter on the phone. The past few years had been good to him. He had advanced in LuthorCorp, seemed to be happy with his work and hadn’t gotten soft looking like so many other middle-aged men.

Maybe she’d try to convince him that he should focus on his own romantic life instead of butting in on hers. The subways had been running slowly today and her father’s office was on the other side of town. She’d been so busy at work that she hadn’t really had the chance to munch on anything. Hence, she was famished. Hence, her father needed to speed up his phone call.

Gabe watched his daughter on the other side of his desk, fidgeting a little in her seat and pressing a hand to her stomach. His brows arched up in question as he answered yet another yes or no question to the person on the other end of the line.

“Excuse me, if you could hold on for one minute,” he spoke into the phone when there was a short pause in conversation.
    “Sweetie, this might take a while, why don't you go to the break room and get yourself a snack, I'll be with you as soon as I can,” he told her quickly before returning to the conversation.

This was just like him. Invite her to lunch and then get sidetracked by a project. But, that was one of the traits that Chloe found endearing about him. To others, she would hem and haw that it was annoying, god forbid her father found that out. He’d never stop working.

She nodded and proceeded to the break room. This was something that she was used to. Poking around the tricked out small kitchen cubicle while her father tried to get off the phone with people who didn’t care that he needed sustenance in order to continue answering their annoying questions.

Even this room looked expensive. Lionel Luthor’s decorators did a good job of making every space in the building look imposing. The fridge gleamed and there was a top of the line small stove and a microwave as well. The fridge was stocked every morning and Chloe opened it, looking for something to tide her over until her father was done.

As soon as Chloe had closed the door behind her and Gabe had counted to ten, a wide grin came to his face. This might actually work and he couldn't wait to see the outcome of this first little stunt.

“Lionel, she's on her way to the break room now. Time to send Lex on his way,” he spoke into the phone.

“I understand,” Lionel said, smoothly. Lex was sitting across from him, not even bothering to hide his annoyance. He couldn’t blame his son. He had called him in telling him it was an emergency but still had yet to speak with him.

When Lex had arrived, Lionel had already been on the phone with Gabe. But Lex would never leave the office, admitting defeat to Lionel that he had been played.

“I will ensure that what you need will arrive within the next five minutes. I fully comprehend the delicacy of the matter, yes.” He paused again as Gabe made up some other covert talk just to keep him on the line. “Would you mind holding for a moment?”

He pressed the hold button on the phone and then addressed Lex. “Son, why don’t you go and get some coffee? I’m sure that your time would be better spent doing that then just watching me carry out my business. Unless you think that it might help you with your own work?”

Lex's face stayed smooth, even as he envisioned several gruesome and gory scenarios of bringing his father's life to an end with his bare hands. “I was under the impression that you needed my assistance in an emergency, but since that is obviously not the case,” he left the sentence dangle in the air, knowing there would be no answer forthcoming.

“I'll see you later, dad,” he sneered on his way out, cursing his birthname for the umpteenth time this week.

What was it with those ridiculous ploys, just to keep him on his toes? He had more important things to do than run to his father's heels every time the old coot snapped his fingers and asked for his attention. But still, he ran non the less and it was getting tiresome. Like so many other things.

Irritatingly, coffee sounded like a good idea. At least it would help him get a bit of energy back from the boring drone of his father having a business conversation with some lackey. Mind made up, he made his way to the break room, since he couldn't be bothered to go all the way down to the ground floor and across the street, just for some Starbucks flavor.

He swung around the corner into the doorway to come to a complete stop as he saw a familiar face sitting at the table inside. “Hello.”

He hadn't seen her in years, but she hadn't changed all that much since her days in Smallville. Her hair was a bit longer, her clothes a little less loud and, he cocked his head to the side, she'd obviously lost a few pounds. He briefly wondered if he'd ever seen her after her high school days, but he couldn't remember for the life of him if that had been the case. Surely he'd remember, wouldn't he?

Chloe looked up from the paper that she had been reading when she heard someone address her. Giving him a little smile, she had never had anything against the man standing before her like so many of her friends and the inhabitants of Smallville, she replied, “Hello Lex. Come here often?”

It was a poor attempt at banter, but she was woefully out of practice so it would have to do for now. Knowing that he wouldn’t be put off by it, Chloe took stock of Lex Luthor. She hadn’t seen him, in person that was, in ages. Couldn’t even remember the last time she’d spoken to him.

He looked better in the flesh, as was not always the case with those that were spread across the society pages. A little put out by the tense set of his jaw, but otherwise he was still the attractive older man that Chloe remembered.

Lex's brow quirked at the clichéd pick up line as he made his way to the counter where a fresh coffee pot was already made. He opened and closed some cabinet doors on the hunt for a mug as he answered.

“Obviously, not often enough, considering the pleasant surprise,” he opened yet another cabinet, finally finding and taking out a mug with the LuthorCorp logo. “And the fact that the last time I was up here, the mugs were over there.” He pointed to the cabinet on the other end of the row he'd just gone through, then made his way back to the pot and filled up the mug to just under the brim.

Taking a sip, his lips curled up in a smirk. Strong enough to grow hair on your chest. “Perfect,” he commented absently.

“So what brings you here? Visiting with your father,” he asked in his normal tone, settling down at the table across from Chloe.

Chloe had watched Lex’s smooth movements as he hunted for a cup to put his coffee in. Whenever the man moved, it always seemed without effort and graceful. She remembered thinking that when they both lived in Smallville as well.

She nodded before pushing the paper a little further away from her. She had the terribly rude habit of only half listening to someone if the printed word was in front of her. She honestly wanted to know how Lex was, not that he would tell her, and didn’t want any distractions.

“We’re supposed to go out to lunch,” she said by way of explanation. “But my father finds it, shall we say, difficult to not answer the phone if he’s in the office. Even if he knows that whatever twit is on the end of the line will cut into our time.”

Chloe leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs. “I’m assuming from your demeanor that you’re also here to see the male half of your gene pool?” Lionel had always been one of the few, if not only, people that could crawl under Lex’s skin and cause him to have actual expressions on his face.

Lex's lip curled in disgust and he took another sip of the coffee. Then it actually registered with him how she'd phrased her sentence. “Interesting assumption, but what makes you think that this is anything but my usual demeanor?”

It was a bit unsettling that someone who hadn't seen him in years could apparently read his face and actions and know exactly what was bothering him. Definitely not good, his mask must be slipping. “I'm merely here for a cup of coffee before a meeting that will probably take several hours with no break in between.”

Ok so that was a lie, but he'd made sure his expression was neutral and would look into whatever had given him away in the first place. It couldn't have been his hunt for a cup. He'd not been hurried in any way, had he?

~~
    Lionel grinned at the laptop that both he and Gabe were currently hunched over. They were watching the security feed from the room, looking for anything that they could use in their fight to do what was best for their moronic progeny.

“She certainly has his number, Gabe. And,” he leaned closer to the screen, “it’s driving him insane. I’m sure he’s now working over what movement he didn’t execute properly that would lead her to make such a statement.”

He felt downright gleeful at the prospect of that little slip of a girl getting to his son in such short order. He clapped Gabe on the back, “Damn fine job of raising her.”

~~
    Chloe ducked her head and bit her lips to make sure that she didn’t smile or worse, bust out laughing. It wouldn’t be polite. But, damn if Lex’s tone and defensive words weren’t amusing to her.

She knew that Lex had to know what she was doing but she still cleared her throat before speaking. While she didn’t doubt that most people wouldn’t be able to tell that something was up with Lex, he seemed to have forgotten what she was trained in.

When one was out for the truth, you had to look for small tells. Most people had some common ones but everyone had their own little tics that would alert you to the fact that they were lying, nervous etc. The tone of Lex’s voice told her all she needed to know.

His movements had been smooth but he had closed the cabinet a little too forcefully than was absolutely necessary and when he spoke to her, the first words were tight. He had to relax after what had just happened with who she assumed was his father.

Clearing her throat she said, “Sorry if I stepped on any toes. I just assumed that if you were here and a little annoyed, which the vigor with which you shut the cabinets communicated to me, that only your father would be the cause of it.”

She shrugged her shoulders and then paused. Her thirst for knowledge always got her into trouble and could see that happening but couldn’t stop it. She leaned forward a little and asked in a conspiratorially tone, “Was I right?”

Lex contemplated her for a minute, head cocked to the side. A small smirk twitching at the corners of his lips, he leaned in as well, bringing their heads even closer. He could see she was waiting for an answer the moment her eyes lit up and for some reason the table was rocking slightly under his elbows.

“No comment,” he said smoothly, then flashed her a grin, all teeth and sharp edges before he leaned back in his chair.

“You bastard,” Chloe said. Though, she supposed that the malice usually associated with the words was not conveyed due to the fact that she was laughing. She crossed her arms over her chest.

“You had fun doing that, didn’t you? You know,” her voice took on a lecturing tone, “it’s not very nice to lead a girl on.” Chloe noticed that her knee, that was bouncing up and down from her energy, kept hitting the table, causing it to bop up and down. She ceased her motion and looked back up at Lex.

That damn smirk was still affixed to his face. If anything, it had gotten even wider. “Shut up, just shut up.” She wasn’t even sure of what Lex would say to her, but she didn’t want to hear it.

~~

Gabe almost whooped when he watched his daughter’s reaction to Lex. Her knee was going 50 miles an hour and her whole demeanor was coiled and ready to pounce. Thankfully the way the two cameras were set up in the break room, he could clearly see the motion under the table from one angle.

“Oh, he's got her flustered, alright. She hasn't twitched that much since that time she was trying to make an impression on the interviewer from Princeton,” he turned to shoot a lopsided grin at Lionel, then quickly returned to watch the ongoings in the break room.

~~

Lex grinned and relaxed even further into his seat, taking a sip of his coffee to distract from the expression on his face. He didn't even remember the last time he'd had that much fun. Back in Smallville, the two of them hadn't gotten to talk very much or often, but their verbal judo had always managed to brighten a dull day. It made him wonder what had happened to the girl since those days. Where she'd gone with her life.

“So, where did you end up? Last I heard from you was right after graduation and you were planning to go to,” he paused, trying to remember the tidbit from the conversations he'd had with Gabe before his work had taken him back to Metropolis and he'd lost contact with his former plant manager aside from the occasional hello in passing, “Princeton, right?”

Chloe nodded. “Yup, the hallowed halls and ivied walls of pomp and circumstance. And of pompous asses, of course.” She bit down on the comment that he would have fit right in there. Somehow, from the look on his face she guessed that he knew what she was thinking.

It was unsettling but not in a bad way. It had just been way too long since she’d had a conversation with a man in a non work related situation who actually seemed to be able to keep up with her.

“It was a good time. I especially enjoyed the Rugby team.” Chloe managed not to cringe at the last sentence she had let slip. It was an accident, well, more of an instinct actually. It was what she always told people about her time there.

No one really wanted to hear about how hard it had been. All of the cramming she had to do, idiotic assignments to prove herself, being so far away from her father or anyone else that might actually care about her. Chloe’s first two years had been miserable. But, she had never complained about them. She made jokes as a defense mechanism and people usually accepted it.

But, she could see from the look in Lex’s eyes that she didn’t have him fooled. The silence continued between them but Chloe made no move to speak. It didn’t bother her that he continued to study her. Nope, didn’t bother her at all.

Lex wasn't sure how to react to her comment about the Ivy League university he himself had attended. True the major populace of the student folk had belonged in the category of spoiled and pompous, but it somehow rankled, because he got the feeling that she'd put him in that category, too. Yepp, the Luthor stigmata at work again. Well, it should be interesting to see how she'd deal with the comeback.

“I was more partial to the fencing team, being a member myself,” he commented dryly, holding her gaze, “Rugby just seemed a little too much brute strength and too little technique to me.”

He found himself wanting to ask which house she'd been in, and how it had been for someone who had to have went there on a scholarship to fit in with the crowd and make it through the strenuous experience without loads of money to back them up and grant them an acceptable status within the ranks of the students.

Instead he opted for a simpler question. “What was your major?”

~~

Gabe cocked his head to the side, watching the interaction on the screen and the myriad of facial expressions he'd never seen on the Luthor scion’s face before. Coupled with the comments Lex was making, and the tone of voice he was using...

“Is he hitting on her?” He wasn't sure, but it sure looked like it. Somewhat.
    “We can only hope so,” Lionel said, dismissively. For a man that had agreed to persuade his daughter to date someone, Gabe was acting rather strange about what would have been a good turn of events. “Now, be quiet.”

~~

Chloe’s gaze didn’t waiver as Lex questioned her. She was surprised at his comment about the fencing team…which was most definitely not a comment about the fencing team. But, she tried not to let it show. Lex was famous for turning on the charm with women at the drop of the hat so why would she be any different?

“Journalism.” She stated it simply and then said, “I’m surprised that you forgot our numerous attempts at interviews.” Cocking her head to the side she added, “Then again, I suppose you could think that it was a passing phase with me. But, I made it through and am actually employed at a paper in town.”

She was proud of that. Numerous people either hadn’t made it out of the program or couldn’t find internships or jobs at any of the papers. True, she didn’t have a byline on the front page but she knew that she would have to be patient and just keep plugging away.

Lex shrugged a shoulder, casually. “I wasn't sure if the desire would last, since you tended to get in way over your head and had to have a certain farmboy with a hero complex get you out of trouble.” The certain farmboy being a person he did not want to dwell on, nor anything that went with it, thank you very much.

“In any case, I'm impressed. It's not easy these days to make it through University and get a job so soon after.” He didn't ask which paper, not wanting to offend the woman in front of him or get her into an uncomfortable position if it happened to be a mud-rag.

He remembered Chloe Sullivan as a very proud person, something she'd most surely inherited from her father, who wouldn't even consider society dirt as actual journalism. Always going for the big stories, the extravagant theories that still somehow might be provable. “So you're permanently in Metropolis now, that's good to know.”

Lex had no idea why he'd just said that, but it did ring true, even to himself. Maybe he'd run into her again, get a bit of interesting conversation in or something. “And outside of work? What's your choice of entertainment these days?”

Back in Smallville it had been meteor mutants and chasing down stories. Now that she actually made a living of chasing a story, and considering there weren't any mutants in sight in Metropolis, he wondered what she did with all the free time. Why he wondered, again he had no idea.

~~
    “He’s intrigued by her.” Lionel whispered the words, wondering why he was doing so. He looked over at Gabe. “It’s been so long since he’s been around a woman with an actual head on her shoulders that he can’t stop himself from asking questions. He usually doesn’t do that.”

Lionel wondered what the grandchildren would look like. And, if Chloe would allow Lex to give them names that began with ‘L’. He frowned briefly when he considered the idea that Chloe wouldn’t go for that or, worse, not want them to be named Luthor.

“He’s showing his hand more than he usually does. Letting her know that’s he’s interested.” Lionel once again leaned closer and studied Chloe. “And, she’s picking up on it.”

~~

This was an unexpected turn of events. She and Lex had exchanged pleasantries all that they had needed to. But, it seemed as if he truly wanted to know what she was up to and what she did in the big, bad city after hours.

She paused before answering him. If she started talking about Teddy it might seem like she was telling him to back off….even though he wasn’t doing anything wrong. And, it might change their conversation.

~~

Gabe nodded silently along, listening to Lionel's comments. True, the younger Luthor was asking questions, keeping the conversation between them alive. Chloe looked like she actually had to think before she spoke, something that hadn't happened in a while. He wondered if she'd be telling him about her liaisons or if she'd gloss over the fact that she'd went out and dated her way through several dozen men in the last few years.

“She's thinking about her answer, and thinking hard,” he commented. “I guess she's trying to come up with an answer that won't make him back off right away. She likes this conversation.” Gabe was amazed and he briefly let himself entertain the thought of somewhere down the line.

With these two, it would be like watching the soccer endgame of the World Cup. Always on the edge of your seat and waiting for the next disaster or success. Their children would probably learn to debate before they learned to walk in a straight line. A small grin on his face, Gabe seriously hoped this would work out.

~~

“Well, after that trouble comment of yours, which I’m letting slide cause I’m so kind, I think that you’ll be glad to hear that I kickbox in some of my spare time.” She ran a hand through her hair. “And, based on the number of times you got roughed up, I do believe that I could kick your ass.”

Seeing the amused look on Lex’s face Chloe said, “Hey, I’m serious. I may not look it but I am fierce.” She glared at Lex. “Stop smiling at me like that.” When Lex continued to do so, Chloe sighed and then got to her feet.

“OK, come on.” She took her fighting stance and made a ‘bring it’ motion with her hands. “I can’t believe that you’re going to make me beat you up at your office, but so be it.”

Lex was seriously amused by the fact that a simple smile from him could rile her up like that, when she jumped to her feet and dropped into an, admittedly professional, fighting stance his brows rose. Was she serious?

“Now, I wouldn't be much of a gentleman if I hit a woman, now would I?” He made no move to get up from his seat, yet, regarding her slowly.

Even though, he had to admit the idea of a little sparring was tempting. He'd never been one to underestimate a woman and her capability of kicking ass if need be. Sadly, most women were too concerned with the shape and perfection of their nails or outward appearance in general to even give something like self defense a shot. He watched appreciatively as Chloe's stance fortified and he got a glimpse of her shape outlined under the clothes.

Standing up, he purposely moved into her personal space, opening the button on his jacket before he leaned in, correcting the angle of her elbow, just slightly.

“And it would hardly be a fair fight, considering where we are and that I'm not exactly dressed for the occasion,” he added.

Both points were nothing but the truth. Fighting in a closely tailored dress suit fit for show, and in a kitchen with limited space no less. He'd lose simply for the fact that he couldn't move properly and that his opponent was small, and from the looks of it limber enough to use it as an advantage over him.

~~

“Kiss her,” Lionel hissed. He was surprised at how downright desperate his voice sounded. Then again, he would have had to be full of desperation to have actually hatched this scheme. This scheme that now didn’t seem so stupid.

Chloe had challenged Lex. Something that always raised his son’s hackles. ‘If not something else,’ his brain piped up. But that comment he would not voice. At least not with Chloe’s father at his elbow.

Lex was trying to intimidate Chloe, to show her that he was bigger and stronger than she was. He would never do that with one of his other weak willed and bodied women.

“Just do it, dammit.” Neither of the figures on the screen moved. He tried a different tactic. “Kiss him.”

Lionel's outburst made Gabe turn his head sharply, catching the other man in an unguarded moment with an actual expression other than derisive arrogance or imperious wrath on his face. 'Wow, Lionel Luthor anxious'. Then his eyes turned back to the screen where Lex was closing in on Chloe and his daughter was tightening her fist, pulling back.

“He'll be lucky if she doesn't punch him in the face. She's not far from it,” his face scrunched up, in preparation for the blow.

Lionel turned his attention to Gabe. “You really don’t see what’s going on, do you?” He waved his hand towards the screen. “This, no matter how odd it may seem to us, is foreplay to them.”

He looked back at the screen. “It’s a dance that they are doing, it’s only a matter of time until one of them cracks.” He considered the two people that they were discussing. “Hopefully one of them will before we’re both dead.”

~~

Chloe looked up at Lex because she found herself physically unable to look away. “Firstly, you’d be hitting an adversary, not a woman.” Though, it delighted her to know that Lex could see that she was a woman. Few people from Smallville would place her in that category. “Secondly, using fashion as a defense never got anyone off the hook with me.”

However, she did put her hands down. “If you’re scared of losing, just say so.” She knew that she was baiting him but she just couldn’t stop herself. It was too much fun to watch Lex’s reactions.

Lex's eyes narrowed slightly. He knew he was being baited and he knew he could come up with some good line to brush her down, or get out of this, but at the moment, he wanted to see how she'd react if he didn't. Wanted to see just how for the astute Miss Sullivan was willing to take this.

“Alright,” Grinning sharply at her, he turned around, closed the door to the break room and flicked the lock in place.

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar

oh ho ho!!!!! now this is just a fab piece of writeing!!! you had me bounceing in my seet and positively tripping overmyself in an effot to read more quickly!!!!

MAGNIFICENT!!!!!!!!

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

NO!!!!!!!!!!!! How can you end there. Just when we were getting to the good part. I want more. I want to see the fight. I want to see Chloe kick his ass. !!!!!!

Despite you guys being cruel in ending it. I really enjoyed the fire between those two. You can see that they are starving for it. The way Lex is flirting with her and how Chloe is eating it up. I love it.

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar

Thank you for the wonderful update!! I love how Chloe didn't mention Teddy and Lex hasn't even thought of Skylar!! Maybe they don't realize it but the sparks are flying!! I wish that they would listen to Lionel though, he has the right idea!! He and Gabe are the best in this story!! I can't wait for more!!

Wow, great chapter. I can't believe you ended it there, though.

LarkLuthor
    Just a Guest!

Wow! Lovely, lovely! Go write more... I don't care about "real life", it's not as entertaining so you don't need any time for it...

Lark

Insane Troll logic girl lexchloe's Avatar

Squeee!!! Awesome update. Really enjoying the flirtatious verbal judo between Chloe and Lex. Love that they can both read eachother so well. How cute are Gabe and Lionel being all concerned about their kids. I'm hoping though that Chloe and Lex don't end up getting too hot and heavy with them watching cos that would be very very wierd!! Can't wait for more.
    I tried to drown my sorrows, but the little buggers learned how to swim.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This fic is so much fun!!! You were ebil to stop there, but Im still happy and smilling... The banter btween them, Lionel reactions! I just love this!

“Alright,” Grinning sharply at her, he turned around, closed the door to the break room and flicked the lock in place.
    Can't wait to see how that goes...Update soon!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information