+ Reply to Thread
Page 165 of 185 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1847

Thread: Buyouts, Hostile Takeovers & Matchmaking (PG-13/R)

Re: Buyouts, Hostile Takeovers & Matchmaking (PG-13/R)

Blue, Sabby, you should be warned - I'm about to crazily fangirl you in the next few paragraphs. Don't worry, I'm not a stalker, I just would like permission to set up a shrine and quietly worship both of you. Okay? Thanks.

I've been trying to come up with a suitable response after devoting the last three days to reading BHT&MM, but my brain keeps getting stuck on 'Wow'. Just... 'Wow'.

The entire premise of the fic, the detail with which you've built the relationships, how amazingly 'in-character' they are (taking into account of course the 'Lionel-lite' elements). I love the way you have Chloe and Lex clawing their way to and through a functional relationship. They're complex people, and not a little messed up, and it's only right that any kind of adult relationship will be bloody hard work for them to get to and maintain. (Which, is a direct reflection of the bloody hard work you've both put in to this. It's far too easy to have intractable characters fall in to bed and have the sex make everything 'better').

I love the complexity of Lionel and Lex's relationship too, rather than the simple Manipulative Bastard - Recalcitrant Son facade. Not that Lionel has ceased to be a MB, of course, but there's depth to the motivations here, with real believability. Now personally, I don't think Lionel has any right to throw in the towel until he's made the same number of attempts at reconcilliation as he ever made at fucking Lex up - but that's me. It's kind of fulfilling to read a fic where Lionel recognises his errors, and is honest about the reasons behind some of them, without trying to manipulate forgiveness from his son.

I found, for the first time in many years, trouble suspending my belief in a story. There's so much work and depth and backstory that, for me, it read more like a tale from someone's life rather than a work of fiction (believe me, I know that, given I'm reading this at an online fanfiction site, this probably bodes for a large therapy bill in my future, but let's focus more on the absolute awe I hold you both in for the brilliant work of crafts-woman-ship that this fic embodies).

The humour - oh god it's so hard to try and snicker discreetly at work - the drama, the sex (OMFG - Hot!), there's pretty much no element of the story that I don't love.

No - sorry, that's a lie. The WIP status I could do without, but it doesn't do to be greedy. I shall focus far more on being grateful. I eagerly look forward to your next update - whensoe'er it may come.

Thank you, both, so much.

Your crazy, scary fangirl.
    BETH

NS Full Member

wow, i just caught up
    great fic so far
    yay, finally they're engaged
    update soon

Talking Re: Buyouts, Hostile Takeovers & Matchmaking (PG-13/R)

I love this fanfic. Please update again soon I can't wait to find out how the hospital scene goes.

Chlex forever

Both you ladies Rock I'm new to the joint and have been enjoying reading several of your fics. This story in particular has hooked my heart. You both are terrific writers. I look foward to even more eye strain. Dagney

oh my, oh my! here comes the confrontation that everyone's been waiting for with the exception of lionel (i guess)
    i loved the proposal and the neighbors and the clan in the bat cave 's reactions to all of it. so much fun!
    but lets get on with the show ladies cause i need more!!

randa

NS Full Member

A/N: Blue: Well, here you go...family fun in a hospital room

A/N: Sabby: The long awaited confrontation is taking place. Well, one of them at any rate. Enjoy!

Gabe sat by Chloe’s bedside and wondered how long he’d be allowed to stay. She was still very out of it and not really awake. Which was the only reason she probably hadn’t thrown him out of the room. He was certain Lex would take care of that once he arrived.

Chloe murmured something. He couldn’t make it out. “It’ll be okay, baby.” He squeezed her hand in a reassuring manner and watched as she quieted down. She took a long breath and then turned a little away from him. He’d been told that they’d given her some pain medication and so he watched the heart monitor to make sure that it wasn’t affecting her adversely.

She looked different. Not terribly but her hair was long and cut in a different way. But, even like this, she was still the most beautiful thing that Gabe had ever seen.

Then there was the ring. Her hand rested on her stomach, poking out of the sling, and it was a little hard to miss. Classic and not overly showy. Like his baby girl.

He wished that she would wake up. Even though he knew that she’d look at him with hate in her eyes and hurt him with her words, he didn’t care. That would be better than this stillness that her body currently possessed.

It made him wonder about what he’d missed in her life. What funny stories she had told Lex but not him. But then he looked at the ring on her finger. She was in love with Lex and going to marry him. There would be children, he was sure of it, and Chloe’s life would be full of love. It was all he ever wanted for her.

Pain was the first thing she became aware of. It was dull but it was there. Her arm felt weird. Chloe did her best to work past the confusion and opened her eyes. Her head felt funny and her throat was dry. She heard beeping. Someone was holding her hand.

She looked to her right and saw her father. She was confused. Where were they and why was he here?

God, he looked old. “Daddy?”

Her voice sounded weak but she was awake. And knew who he was. He felt the pinpricks of tears but blinked rapidly to beat them back. Even when she’d gotten older she’d always fallen back on that term when she was either scared, confused or sick. She might be all three at the moment.

“Hi, sweetie. It’s ok. You’re ok. You’re in the hospital, you had an accident. Lex will be here soon.” He rattled off all of the important things, not knowing how long he’d have with her.

Chloe tried to remember what she could. Crossing the street. That’s when it had happened. But why was her dad here and not Lex? Then she remembered that she’d never taken off her father as her emergency contact.

She worked her hand out of his and could see how much that hurt him. But she couldn’t care about that. He’d done something really wrong.

Gabe cleared his throat. “I’ll be going now. I know…”

A ruckus could be heard in the hallway. “I think Lex is here.” Gabe could hear his voice. He stepped towards the door and poked his head out of the room. Lex was currently accosting a nurse.
    “Lex. Over here.”

Lex sharply turned away from the nurse and looked in the direction Gabe’s voice had come from. The man was a few doors down, looking out of one the rooms.

He strode down the corridor, ignoring the nurse behind him completely and brushed past Gabe in his hurry to get to Chloe.

“My god what happened? Are you okay?”

His hand hovered over her bandaged arm for a moment, then he brushed his fingers over her forehead, careful not to touch the spot that was covered by a large band aid.

She looked tired, and out of it. Her pupils were tiny pinpricks in her irises. She was obviously dosed up with painkillers. They’d stuck her in a hospital gown and Lex knew she must have been unconscious. She’d never have let them put that thing on her if she wasn’t.

She mumbled his name, sounding completely exhausted and Lex nearly collapsed with relief that she was awake and responding.

He sat down beside her hip and grasped her uninjured hand, brought it up to his mouth and kissed the fingers. Looking at them, he saw that she’d also broken two nails during the accident. He kissed the torn tips and placed her hand down in his lap, holding it between both of his. Her skin was unsettlingly cold and he started to rub the back of her hand.

Seeing Lex with her made things better and worse at the same time. The look on the man’s face spoke more about their relationship than anything else. Gabe would wager that Lex was almost as frantic and scared as he’d been. Chloe would be in excellent hands. He could let go now.

But he didn’t want to. He’d stopped calling her but that didn’t mean that he’d stopped caring or thinking about her. He wasn’t programmed that way.

He continued to stand by the door as he supplied Lex with some details. “It was one of those damn bike messengers.” They were menaces on two wheels. Cutting in and out of traffic and not looking where they were going. “He hit her and she fell. She has a concussion so they want to keep her overnight for observation. But she should be fine.”

Lex looked like he didn’t believe it. He knew that the man had lost people he cared deeply about before. “She fell out of a tree when she was seven.” He didn’t know why he wasn’t leaving. “I saw her climb the thing and was yelling at her to get down.” Gabe shook his head as he remembered what happened next.

“Chloe wanted to see the baby birds that were up in the nest. She reached for them and…”

He could still remember the sight of his daughter falling to the ground. It made him sick. “The doctor said she was pretty thick skulled.” Gabe smiled as he remembered the jokes he’d made over the years about that. “Lex, she will be fine.”

A smirk fought its way to his lips as Lex imagined a seven year old stubborn Chloe climbing trees and defying her father, even at risk of her own head.

Logically, he knew she would be alright, it was just that seeing her like this, it rattled his nerves fiercely.

Lex looked at Gabe Sullivan and nodded. For the first time, he really noticed the appearance of the man standing in the door. He looked worn, and worried, old beyond his years somehow. Despite the immaculate business outfit, it looked like Gabe had been wearing himself down and the circles under his eyes spoke of more than a few sleepless nights.

Lex wondered if Gabe had looked like that since the day Chloe had decided to cut the man out of her life.

He knew why he’d made the choice to break ties with Lionel, but it was still a surprise to him that Chloe had done the same with Gabe. In the heat of the fight, it had felt right that she would share his decision and she had a right to be every bit as angry as he was.

But looking back, even then, or at least shortly afterwards, Lex had been convinced she would reconcile with Gabe at some point in time. After all, Chloe and Gabe didn’t share the same sordid history Lex and Lionel did.

Instead, she had ignored Gabe’s calls until they had stopped. Had never made an effort to talk to her father on her own accord.

Lex looked down at Chloe, watching her head turn and her closed eyelids twitch with the movements of her eyes underneath them. She was still mostly out of it and Lex wished she would wake up and stop being so…frail, helpless, injured.

He squeezed her hand and brushed her messed up hair back. She’d just gotten it trimmed and highlighted a few days ago.

“She misses you, you know.”

She’d probably also kill him for telling this to her father, but Lex felt like he had to say it.

Unlike him, who could live the rest of his life without ever speaking to his father again and be happy about it, Chloe did actually miss her father.

“She doesn’t say it. In fact she tries to avoid even thinking about you whenever she can, but I know it.”

Chloe wasn’t that good at hiding things. Especially when she wasn’t aware that she was being watched. And Lex made it a habit to watch her, just because he was allowed to. It had started on their impromptu trip to Bora Bora a year ago and continued without pause when they’d moved in together.

“You hurt her so much, but she still cares about you, whether she wants to or not.”

“I miss her, too.” Gabe said the words quietly as he watched Lex tend to his daughter. He wanted so much to be a part of her life but that right had been taken away from him. He could admit to his culpability but he still knew he wasn’t as sorry as he should be.

“I know you two have a right to be mad.” He couldn’t deny that. “But we really did think we were helping.” He didn’t want to push his luck on the subject. “I know you’ll take excellent care of each other. Congratulations on the engagement.”

Both he and Lionel had celebrated that. But it wasn’t the sort of celebration he’d imagined when they’d started the scheme. Much more subdued and without anyone else present.

“Tell her that I’ll wait.” He looked over at his sleeping child. “I’ll always be there if she needs me.”

Chloe moved around a little and Gabe wondered if he’d been too loud. He should go. It might upset her more if she saw him there. Yes, she’d seen him already but she might not remember that. He didn’t move.

There were voices around her. They were talking about her. She knew that…somehow. Hated when people did that.

When she opened her eyes she saw Lex looking down at her. He looked so worried and tense. This time his hand was holding hers. Had she dreamed her father? “Hi.”

Chloe tried to think of something witty to say but she was drawing a blank. “Don’t look so worried. I’m ok.”

Lex smirked at her grumpiness, relieved in knowing she was well enough to be grumpy. “Your arm’s in a sling and you’ve got a concussion, in my book, that’s not okay,” he admonished.

She tried to move the aforementioned arm, but Lex used his hand to prevent the movement. “The doctors say you will be alright though. Or so I hear.”

He looked from Chloe to Gabe and back again. “Do you remember what happened?”

If this was a silly TV show, she’d now realize that she was suffering from a case of amnesia and couldn’t remember anything. Thankfully, life was not a silly TV show. Which made his question kind of pointless, he realized.

Chloe let her head thump back down on the pillow. Lex clearly wasn’t going to let her get up. Fine, she’d just pee all over him. That would fix his train.

“Not really,” she admitted. “I remember finishing up my interview and then being on the street…” She shook her head. “But after that, nothing until…”

She looked around the room again. Yup, she hadn’t imagined it. Her father was there. But she remembered something else. Something from when she was just waking up. “You told him about the bird’s nest.”

Chloe looked between her dad and Lex. Her father just nodded and looked at his shoes. It wasn’t one of his fondest memories of her.

Lex looked at her and squeezed her hand. They hadn’t discussed their parents a lot but she knew where Lex stood when it came to her father. If she wanted to forgive him, he would too. He’d only said it once but she knew that he’d meant it.

She missed him. A lot. More than she really knew or thought about. But it came back to her now that he was in the room. He looked like hell and she knew that most of it was probably due to her decision to not be in contact with him.

But could she forgive him?

Chloe looked back up at Lex. It was almost imperceptive but she saw it. He’d nodded his head.

“Dad, can you stay with me and Lex for a little while?”

Gabe was speechless. He didn’t know what to say, was afraid that saying something wrong would make Chloe change her mind and demand he leave. Could it really be possible that she was offering him a chance at forgiveness? Gabe really hoped that was the case. He’d do anything to make things right between them again.

He nodded and slowly stepped forward, taking the chair from the corner to sit down at the side of her bed, leaving enough room between him and them that she didn’t feel like he was intruding.

Lex looked at the man and could literally see the hope flaring up on his face. He’d always had an idea where Chloe had her enormous range of expression from, but now he got to see it first hand.

Looking back at Chloe, he could see that she was trying to smile, even though it was obviously an effort. She wasn’t quite sure about this yet, but she was willing to give her father a chance.

Lex really hoped that between the three of them, they could work this out. Chloe needed her father in her life, more than she liked to admit. And Lex wanted to see her completely happy. Without that shadow that lingered every time her thoughts strayed to Gabe and she had to forcefully clamp down on them.

The silence was starting to become a bit awkward, so Lex decided to break it.

“I forgot to say thank you,” he said as he looked at Gabe once more, “for calling me. I’m glad you did.”

He would have found out sooner or later, but by the time the news got around to him, he would have been suffering from major guilt for not knowing and not having been there when Chloe needed him.

Gabe nodded again, returning Lex’s gaze sincerely. He knew how much his daughter meant to Lex and how protective he was of her. “Of course. They should have tried to contact you in the first place. Emergency contact or not.”

His baby wasn’t exactly engaged to Joe Normal and her picture had been in the newspapers for the last four days. He wondered what the nurse was thinking. Probably nothing at all, too busy following standard procedure.

Lex understood the unspoken reference to their engagement and the fact that Chloe was now in the public eye. “It doesn’t matter.” His gaze shifted back to Chloe who was looking back and forth between him and her father. “It’s good that you’re here.”

This was weird. And she knew it would be for awhile until they all became comfortable with being around one another again. If that could happen. But having her dad near her felt good. It felt right. And, maybe it was the drugs, but she could swear that he looked better already.

His job probably wasn’t helping either. She was sure that he was stressing himself out…

“Did one of you call the paper?” She should have been back hours ago. Chloe still had to go through her notes, write the piece, speak to the layout department. “Where’s my stuff?

Her head whipped around the room. She saw a closet and thought that’s where her bag probably was. She swore she could hear her cell vibrating. They probably thought she was dead or kidnapped or both.

“Don’t even think about it.” Two voices, same words. She looked back at Lex and her father.

“Cool, a lecture in stereo.” Both of their eyes narrowed. “Calm down, I wasn’t going to try and go.” Neither looked like they believed that. “I wasn’t! I just was looking for my cell so I could call in. Or one of you could do it. And my notes need to be dropped off, too.”

Lex resisted the urge to roll his eyes but couldn’t fight the smile. If she was strong enough to go on about work and start bossing around, she was definitely on the path to health.

“I’ll call your boss and let him know that you won’t be coming in for a couple of days.”

When he saw Chloe starting to protest he held up his hand to stave her off. “No arguments. You’ve got a concussion and that means no stress, trust the guy who’s had more than a dozen.”

He walked over to the closet and found her purse and street clothes inside. He dug around until he found her cell phone. Three voice mails, two text messages. They really had to be worried.

He flipped through the address book to get to her editors number and pushed the call button.

After three rings, the man picked up on the other end.

“Lex Luthor here, I’m just calling to inform you that Chloe won’t be in for the next two days.”

The editor was obviously a bit surprised, but didn’t hesitate to ask the important questions.

“My fiancée got into a small accident today with one of those bike messengers,” Lex sneered the last two words, “She’s got a concussion and her arm was injured as well. I’m sure you understand that she now needs a couple days of rest to recuperate.” His tone of voice brooked no argument.

The editor asked about the notes that Chloe mentioned and Lex rifled through her purse to see a large red folder. “I’ll send someone to get them to you as soon as possible.”

A smirk curled at one corner of his mouth as the editor somehow managed to convey his acceptance, pass on his well wishes and ask for an interview all within the same sentence.

“I will pass along your regards and no, there is no chance of an interview about the accident or anything else pertaining to Chloe or me. But I admire your skills. Have a nice day.”

They exchanged their goodbyes and Lex pushed the disconnect button and placed the cell back in her purse.

“My knight in shining Armani.” He gave her a look that clearly told her to stuff it. She smiled over at him. “But thank you.” She was surprised that her editor asked for an interview. He hadn’t done that with her. Probably because he knew she could spit, or worse, in his coffee.

While the last thing that Gabe wanted to do was leave, he knew that Chloe and Lex could use some time alone. Mostly so Lex could convince himself that she was alright. “I’ll take those over.” He gestured to the folder that Lex was holding.

His future son in law, he grinned at that though, passed it to him. He hesitated and then leaned over and kissed her cheek. “I missed you.” He whispered the words and could see Chloe start to tear up a little.

That was definitely his cue. “I’ll see the two of you…” well, he didn’t know when, exactly. “Later.”

As he headed for the door, Chloe called out to him.

The party was in a week and she wanted him there. They’d talked about her wedding when she was very young and if she was going to make this work, she wanted him to be a part of that. “Lex and I are having an engagement party at Hathor next week. Do you maybe want to…”

“Yes.” Geez, don’t seem too eager. “I mean if you want me to…”

“I wouldn’t have asked otherwise.” She could see that her father was trying to rein in his emotions, which brought out hers.

“I’d be honored. I’ll call you in a few days for the details?” This had been too much to hope for but Chloe was letting him back in.

“Me or Lex.” She nodded. “Bye Dad.”

“Bye baby.” He looked over at her fiancé and nodded. “Lex.”

As Gabe walked down the hall, he took out his cell phone. He scrolled through the missed calls and saw that Lionel had tried to reach him numerous times. He’d probably heard about the accident.

When he reached his car, he sighed. What was he supposed to tell his friend?

~~

Lionel knew that Gabe was waiting for his reaction. That his friend needed something, anything, from him at this point in time. But it was hard. Lionel was still trying to take everything in. The most important thing was that Chloe was alright. No lasting damage done.

And Gabe was back in her life. He smiled softly. It seemed as if Lillian wasn’t done with them yet.

“I’m so grateful my whole scheme hasn’t irrevocably damaged your life.” The guilt that he’d been suffering for over a year was like nothing he’d ever felt. It was one thing to ruin his relationship with Lex but Chloe and Gabe’s had been another matter all together.

“And they seemed happy?” Gabe nodded. “Then nothing else matters.” He knew Gabe was very worried about him. And he knew he had reason to be. Lionel’s life, if one could call it that, wasn’t much to write about these days. Without his work and Gabe, he had nothing.

But he could live with it. Would live with that for a good long time knowing that Lex and Chloe were happy. They would get married and there would, most likely, be grandchildren.

It pained him deeply to know that he’d never know them but Gabe would tell him about them.

“And you’re invited to their engagement party?” Another subdued nod from Gabe. “Hug them both a little tighter for me.” He thought of how happy they both must be. Chloe even more so now that she was talking to Gabe. And, by extension, Lex would be happier too.

“Gabe, please don’t act this way.” He sighed. The man didn’t look happy at all. “I thank you for your empathy about my situation but there isn’t any need for you to check your joy around me.” He knew Gabe didn’t want to make him feel any worse.

“You have your daughter back.” He saw Gabe swallow heavily. “You’ll be there to walk her down the aisle, play with their kids…and report back to me on everything.” Finally, a little smile from his friend.

Gabe was happy, truly happy that Chloe and Lex had given him the chance to be part of their life again. However, he’d known how hard it would be on Lionel. Lex didn’t seem willing to forgive the man for as long as he lived. And there had been far more bad blood between father and son. No divine intervention would manage to fix it.

“I’ll take as many pictures as I can, and of course there will be video tapes.” He wished he could say something along the lines of ‘Give them more time and they’ll come around’, but that would be blatantly lying and Lionel wouldn’t appreciate that.

“I haven’t even told Celeste yet. She’s in Spain right now.” He wondered how she would react.

That brought up another question. How would Chloe and Lex react when they found out that he was dating the woman that had spied on them? Maybe it was best not to mention it for the time being. But he didn’t want to lie to them again. He’d have to tell them that it had simply happened, and that he truly liked Celeste. And after all, it wasn’t her fault. She’d just taken on a job that she had been paid for. There was nothing personal about it on her part.

“God, I hope they won’t hate me all over again when they find out I’m dating her.”

Lionel could see the panic rising up in Gabe. “I don’t think that it will be an issue.” Chloe had forgiven him. Forgiven him for doing it and, therefore, for everything else that went along with it. At least that’s what Lionel thought.

He knew that the woman must have wanted her father back. Otherwise, she would have dismissed him from the hospital. He tilted his head to the side. “If anything, perhaps she’ll just choose to think that you followed her advice.”

Gabe looked up and over at him. “If memory serves, Chloe was trying to hook the two of you up when she didn’t know who Celeste was.” Gabe nodded. “So, it turns out that she was right about that. Besides, Gabe, Chloe only wants you to be happy.”

The woman really was a giving and good hearted person. Lionel couldn’t see her begrudging her dad the very happiness that she had found. Gabe, even though he probably didn’t realize it, was in very deep. Lionel often had dinner with Celeste and his friend when the woman was in town. Love, it appeared to him, was definitely in the air.

“Let’s hope so.” Gabe really wanted to believe Lionel’s words, but wasn’t sure that things could be so easy. Not after a full year of hell where scarcely anything had gone right.

He would do anything to make the best of the chance Chloe had given him, but he didn’t dare hope for too much at this point. Being given the chance was more than he’d ever expected to happen in the first place.

“I just wish that things had been different. Then maybe we could have all celebrated this together.”

But Lionel had gone wrong a long time ago and the chasm between him and Lex was caused by more than just this last breach of privacy. Added to that, Lex could hold grudges like no one else he’d ever met. Aside from his daughter, that was.

“I honestly believe that this was the way things had to go, Gabe.” Their children never would have found their way to one another otherwise. “I went into this with my eyes open. I knew what would happen if Lex found out.”

He’d prepared himself for the worst. True, it still tore him apart when the worst happened. But this was not about him. It was about Lex.

“If Lex never forgives me, this was still worth it.” He caught Gabe’s eyes. “That’s part of my problem. I’m sorry we hurt them, I’m sorry they feel like pawns but I do not regret putting them together.”

He shook his head. “It’s the question if the ends justify the means. I still think that they do.”

That was where they parted ways. Some things just weren’t justifiable. And he was glad that Chloe had forgiven him for doing them anyway.

Now he only hoped that he didn’t mess things up along the way again.

tbc

I'm glad everything is falling in to places.

Chloe and Lex engaged, they are patching the relation with Gabe and maybe they'll do it some time in the future with Lionel as well.

Hey! Update Your Story!!! xxasaxx's Avatar

finally! a reconciliation!

I love the update and can't wait for next chapter

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I'm so happy that Gabe and Chloe are well on their way to repairing their relationship, but I still feel bad for Lionel with each moment. I know Lex would never open up on his own and if Gabe tried to speak about it, Chloe and Lex might start to get mad at him again. I think Chloe is the only chance for a reconciliation with Lex and Lionel. If she suddenly understands through Gabe how much it meant for them to do this, she might be able to get Lex to change his mind. I don't want Lionel to be all alone.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information