+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 56 (May 27, 2016)

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 50 (February 25, 2014)

Chloe and Lex are going to try to date as a form of closure and healing. That is a very interesting idea.

NS Full Member

This is great. I've been anticipating an update and I am so happy to see Lex willing to do anything to help Chloe.

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

great update love please keep going i really like this story.

Members

This is such a gripping tale, and I'm so glad that you've not given up on it.

I couldn't sleep in the wee hours of this morning, and started to read this fic for the first time. Needless to say, it's now 9 hours later and I haven't been able to stop reading! (Well, except for brief interludes for breakfast and laundry and helping my Dad with his computer along the way!)

Thank you so much for continuing to update this fic over the years, and I'll be looking forward to another installment whenever you're able to get to it.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

This was lovely! Good for Lex for being so worried about hurting Chloe--once he gets past his worry, he and Chloe can make a good start at healing each other.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Full Member

great update.love that lex is willing do anything to help chloe and is concerned about hurting her.this should be interesting

Members

When I saw WIP I said to myself don't read it but it has been so compelling! Thank you for writing such a great story, my heart broke a thousand times, I thought Chloe and Lex had a chance even though they had such an unfair start to their complex relationship but when that evil Luthor raped an already vulnerable Chloe I was so upset for what could have been for chlex. However with your excellent story telling I see that glimmer of light for them and imagine my surprise and delight to see that this story was updated days ago!

keep going you have fans waiting to read the next installment, Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I hope Chloe see how damaged Lex really is from everything. I think helping him heal will be good for her too.

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 52 (June 1, 2014)

Chapter Fifty-two

Chloe watched her phone vibrate, edging closer to her keyboard across the table. She lifted her hands away from her typing instinctively, holding her breath as she became sure it was Lex calling her. The number on the phone set off a fizzing awareness in her body as she absorbed the buried response.

Lex's number made her feel giggly-nervous. She had the urge to look over her shoulder for some overly interested stranger who was miraculously aware a famous, rich billionaire was calling her.

In the two and a half days since she'd spoken to him, he had talked to Dr. Concord. Despite a rapport, the doctor would never reveal to Chloe what Lex had said. His reaction, or lack thereof, would come only directly from his words.

I was worried I'd sent him running for the nearest alp, she reminded herself. Before he was calling me I was getting offended.

She looked around the tiny cafe that had become her favourite unofficial office. The wifi was excellent and the coffee was good, excepting an experimental order of a pumpkin spice flavour shot. She was comfortable slouching over her computer and pounding out sour reviews of campus theatre productions. It was where she frantically wrote last minute essays an hour before they were due.

Carving out comfortable spaces in the world had become the closest thing to a hobby since she'd moved to the city. Chloe acknowledged the flaw in it was her comfort typically came from solitary moments. Her old friends seemed far away, and her new friends sensed her panic when they became too familiar. Her plan to move on with her life needed other people to succeed, so she had to let other people near.

She didn't look as she grabbed for the phone. "Hello." The greeting was rushed, breathless, but she had answered. She was going to try to rediscover her friendly nature.

"Hello . . . Chloe. Is this a bad time?" He sounded tense,but then she sounded like she was having some kind of choking spasm.

"No. I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring your call," she said. "What's up?"

Cringing at her phrasing, Chloe pushed down nerves. She wasn't feeling remotely casual about Lex and what he was going to say next. She wasn't brave enough to push him if he decided he didn't feel up to helping her.

"I spoke with Dr. Concord."

It felt like a refusal. He was too precisely pleasant. This was Lex politely saying 'hell no.' Chloe couldn't really blame him. It wasn't as if she believed they were a good match. She had paused too long, and hurried to end the conversation gracefully.

"I understand if you can't do this," she said. "I'm not one hundred percent sure I could have. It was a crazy idea."

He exhaled, sounding almost angry. "It's a crazy idea, but I'm okay with trying. Dr. Concord was able to clarify the suggestion. I think it's possible spending time together will help both of us. I have genuinely wondered how you've been, and I recall we were able to find a few things in common."

She held her breath, processing the pitch of hope rising. Chloe closed her laptop without noticing, and leaned back in her chair holding her coffee in her free hand.

"Okay. Um, so when did you want to me to come over," she asked tentatively.

"Cara and I go to the dog park on Saturday morning. If you're free, I'd like you to join us. We throw tennis balls and she treats me to lunch before we walk home," Lex said. "It's probably better we start slow and see how we do. I'm not certain just how much help I can offer."

It was a date. A dressed down Saturday morning at the dog park, but definitely a planned date with a man she might sleep with. Chloe's face washed pink as she smiled bashfully at Lex through the phone.

It wasn't a yes or a no, but she was somehow happier with a maybe. It sounded more like the truth of their situation.

"That sounds really nice. Thanks."

"My pleasure. Does 10:30 work for you?"

"It's fine. I'll be at your place then," she told him. "What if it rains?"

He chuckled, short and deep. "As a dog owner, I'm pretty much obliged not to notice beyond putting on a coat before I leave the house. Dress warm and cross your fingers for a nice day. If it's too cold I'll let you off the hook."

She set down her coffee, opening her laptop to look up a weather forecast. "Oh, I'm tougher than that."

"I know you are. Have a good day, Chloe. Bye."

"You, too. Goodbye."

She lowered the phone gently and stared blankly at the website. She almost wanted to call Lois and tell her the dreary hermit cousin had a date that weekend. Lois would be happy for her, even if she was puzzled. Chloe didn't comprehend why it felt right, but she didn't really care. She was looking forward to seeing Lex on Saturday.

He hadn't counted on a media presence. At least not more than one reporter, he corrected himself. Lex looked over his shoulder and then to Chloe at his side. She was leaning down to scrub affectionately at Cara's ears. He grimaced and privately mourned the first twenty minutes of their date. It had been going fairly well, helped immensely by his friendly dog.

"Chloe . . ."

She stood up and looked at him, her face wary but not guarded. Being out in public was helping, both as a distraction from their dark past and a buffer for any overly intense feelings. They were like any other couple navigating a potentially awkward first date. They were a long way from fun, but not doing too badly with companionship.

"Sorry, " he apologized. "I don't know why I didn't think of this. First when I got Cara, there were photographers every time I walked her. The novelty wore off and they left us alone. I guess they thought your being here was interesting."

She spun around, and the photographers caught her initial startle as they focused on her. Lex stiffened. He wanted to turn around but that would give better photos. He wound Cara's leash a little tighter and murmured, "We can go back, or you can leave alone. They might decide to follow you. I could call my security but that generally draws more attention instead of less. The police won't help as long as we're not in danger. It's up to you."

Chloe was still facing away, her arms folded over her chest. She shook her head, but without her expression he couldn't tell what it meant.

"They keep shooting as long as they can get a clear view of your face," Lex told her. "Do you want me to get my lawyers on this? I know most of these guys by name."

She turned back. "No. I'm a reporter. I know how it works. They aren't doing anything wrong, and I should have understood a date with you would have some extra complications. Don't sic your lawyers on them. Let's just keep going?"

Her brave, wan smile made him angrier, but Lex nodded and led the way to the dog park. It was enclosed by a fence and Cara knew where they were headed. She pulled at his arm in eagerness.

"Easy, girl. It's a walk, not a gallop," he chided.

"Did you talk to her on all those walks? I think I know why the photographers were following you. They wanted to capture the moment you finally snapped," Chloe joked.

"Cara is a very smart dog," Lex said firmly. "It's not like I'm talking to a houseplant. She understands a lot of what I say to her, and she listens - mostly."

The dog was still towing him, trying to drag him more quickly to the gate. He barely had the leash off before she was trotting away to greet her dog friends.

"She's a great dog. I didn't mean it. I'm sure you're perfectly sane."

Chloe waded into the field of dogs and owners happily, agreeably petting any furry head that butted her leg. She watched while Cara made her first mad circle of the space before homing back to Lex.

"Behave yourself," he told Cara, digging her tennis ball out of his pocket. "You nearly trampled a dachshund. Chloe, since you're our guest, please throw out the first ball of the day. I suggest aiming low to the ground and off to one side. She's just big enough to knock people over, and fetch gets her too excited to be careful where she's going."

Taking the ball, Chloe grinned at the dog's impatient dance. "That sounds like a story."

She tossed the ball, sending Cara flying behind. Lex shook his head. "Not really. Luckily no one was hurt and dog owners get used to occasionally being knocked down. Cara's personality smooths over most of the gaps in her training."

Across the dog park, Cara had the ball and was carrying it proudly. A number of other dogs were making playful nips toward it, but she dodged them and came back to drop it at Lex's feet. He picked it up and threw it again.

"She's an obedience class dropout," Chloe asked. "Why? She seems like she could be trained."

Lex walked to a bench and sat down. Chloe followed and perched precisely a foot away from him. He swallowed a sigh and glanced at the remaining photographers. Some had given up on his date turning newsworthy, but he was still a Luthor. Most of his dates were considerably more elaborate than inviting a woman to the park.

"My fault. I found a very good school but they insisted only the owner could attend the lessons. After we got the basics down I canceled a few times and we unfortunately were kicked out," he said wryly. "I'll apologize in advance for her table manners."

She turned almost unconsciously toward him, smiling shyly. Her back was still too stiff, and there was no question of touching or even a topic more personal than anecdotes about his dog. Chloe hadn't taken the excuse of photographers to go home. She was tolerating their strange version of acquaintance and that was all he could ask.

"She might make the same apology for you. So where do you go for lunch with a dog who's just been rolling in dirt," Chloe asked.

"You'll see."
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 52 (June 1, 2014)

So nice to see an update to this story. The thought of Lex taking a dog to the dog park everyday, how very normal. I'll be interested to see how the rest of Chlex's date goes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information