+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 56 (May 27, 2016)

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 28 (August 3)

i love this.

can;t wait for more Great story!

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Chapter Forty-four

Lex wasn't eager to face the censure of Lois Lane, but she could comfort Chloe. He would write cheques for the medical staff and to defer the expenses of shutting down the clinic. Lucas wasn't a natural choice for moral support, especially among the moral, but he wouldn't remind Chloe of Lionel. A new face had to be better than the face of an abuser, Lex thought.

He had dressed and spoken like his father since puberty, as a very conscious effort. He had learned to match Lionel drink for drink by the age of fifteen. When he'd turned eighteen, whoring his way through Metropolis had been his birthday wish. He had accomplished it and not slowed down, compounding his empty sex with drugs and alcohol. Lex hardly remembered the last woman he'd had who hadn't been getting paid for her indulgence. He had embraced corruption as another facet of ambition; a comfortable rut of flawed behaviour he was happy to excuse in himself.

He was never going to be virtuous. Teetotaling and drug PSAs were as foreign to Lex as doing his own housework. In a situation where real skills were needed, he wouldn't know what to do with himself. His grasp of strategy had been a life-long talent, but even that had faltered against his father's plans for Chloe.

His hands felt numb and empty. He wanted to go in and sit with Chloe, but he had never comforted anyone. Staring at her and fumbling for old chestnuts about tomorrow being another day was worse than keeping to himself, he thought. He wished he was . . . better. A good man could have done something for her more personal than paying off witnesses.

Absolute sobriety was probably impossible, but he could cut down his drinking. In the thick of his fears for Chloe's life, he'd had the nerve to long for a scotch. That shame should get him on track to look at the rest of his vices.

It was best to distance himself from Morgan Edge and his rackets anyway. It was too easy to lace club drugs with poison. If any one of Edge's prostitutes was still willing to see him, Lex was certain she would have to be up to something for her boss. That world was a small one, and unconcerned with fair dealings. He was about to step up to lead a company, and his social life would multiply with staid parties where deals were hammered out over champagne. People would be watching. Edge would be watching, and take advantage of weaknesses, so those weaknesses had to be culled.

How could I let another call girl in without thinking of Chloe? I have to live better or I'll be seeing her in every woman, Lex told himself.

He stood up and glared at the clock hanging smugly, telling him it was only six minutes later than when he'd last checked the time. Lois and Lucas should be knocking soon, and it was his job to let them in. They were supposed to hurry so Chloe could have her surgery and start recovery.

Someone had to help her, and he found himself coming up dead last on the list. He was almost relieved when Lucas' ridiculous secret knock came from the other side of the door.

His legs felt jittery and stretched like rubber, going from numbness to searing twinges, but standing up would be giving in to pressure.

Chloe only slept for a few hours after the surgery. Lex spent the time trying to force his muscles not to bunch and cramp in the seat he refused to leave. Lois had claimed the other chair at her cousin's bedside, her eyes flicking distrustfully at him as she gave every nonverbal cue invented to make him obviously unwelcome.

"I'm sure you have stuff to do," she said, faking a smile. "I'm here now, and I can take care of her."

Lex was too tired to be civil. He shook his head and stared at Chloe's hand curled on the scratchy hospital blanket. "My father is dead and deserves none of my time. My brother is trying to flirt with an ob-gyn to get a recreational oxycontin prescription, and my company would require my giving a shit to benefit from my efforts. Today, I am here for Chloe."

He knew the operation went well, and there was no physical reason the reporter wouldn't wake up, but Lex relaxed when Chloe's eyes finally opened. She looked at him vaguely, the absolutely neutral gaze of a dreamer.

"Are you comfortable," he asked quietly.

She rolled her head heavily away, as her cousin took her hand. "Hey Chloe, you're going to be fine," she said tenderly. "We're going to have to get some really good ice cream, just like after I got my tonsils out."

Lois kept talking, lapsing effortlessly into memories of funny shared events. They were closer than Lex was to his own father and brother. It was like looking at a family on a cheesy television show; foreign and plausible in a way he could feel but never have. He stood up awkwardly and pushed the chair out of the way in the tiny recovery room.

"I'm going to get someone in to check her and see when she can go," he said.

Lois gave a dismissive twitch of her hand, but Chloe turned to look at him again. He was moved to say something, but he fumbled at it. "I don't want you to worry about this - I'll handle the details. We'll have you home soon."

"I know," she said weakly. Her mouth twisted at the corners and he left before she started to cry.

Dr. Concord was in her office, falsifying patient records to cover up Chloe's existence as her patient. Lex knocked briefly and stepped inside to sit at one of her bright pink chairs. He sniffed at the aroma of strong coffee, and she nodded toward a carafe on a side table.

"Help yourself, though a night of sleep would probably do better," she said. "Is Chloe awake?"

"A few minutes ago," Lex replied. "I sent a nurse in, but she seems okay. I'm going to have to move her somewhere more secure."

"If you're going to do that today, it will have to be later. I want her here for at least another few hours," the doctor said. "Sugar packs in the bowl, and creamers in the drawer."

He shook his head, to both statements. Drinking the coffee black, he looked out the window and frowned at the bright midday light. "Then moving her will have to wait until after dark. It's not just about concealing what happened to her. In order to make the story work, I have to create another event that explains how she was injured and why I'm paying her medical bills. What about her arm?"

"That," she paused to take a long swallow of coffee, " - is a different matter. Pregnant women usually try to avoid x-rays, and we don't do emergency medicine here. I have a friend who will treat an anonymous patient for me at the hospital. I'd have to make a call, but I'm pretty sure after icing the arm that it is at least fractured."

Lex put down his cup and leaned on the desk. "Chloe is a reporter. She needs function in her hands. What will it cost to get your friend today?"

Dr. Concord stood up and walked to her printer. She stared at the pages emerging, and said, "It's not about cost. My friend, who I'm not going to identify, will have to do what I'm doing and submit fake paperwork. People don't pay by cash for hospital visits anymore. It's going to look suspicious."

He crossed his arms and his mouth tightened. He didn't care about the money involved, but delay would prolong Chloe's suffering. He had chosen this doctor because she had seemed able to bend rules to protect her patients.

"I have no desire for this person to be caught. Give me the instructions to be sure we are not caught."

"You're too high profile. So Chloe and her cousin will have to go, alone, and not mention the surgery she just had. She'll have to give whatever story you intend to use. She'll have to be awake and alert, or some over-eager resident might try to admit her overnight. And if you're willing to listen to some advice, I really don't want you to make her lie about what she's been through. If there's any way to keep her safe and let her tell her side of things - it would help Chloe in the long run."

She folded papers and stuffed them into an envelope, carrying it back to her desk. As she sank into her chair, Lex noticed she was wearing a wedding band. She might well be a mother, too, and he could see why the doctor was pushing for Chloe's rights.

"I don't think you recognize the risk in that," Lex sighed. "The recent attack on Chloe is the least of what these men have done. They will kill me, in spite of my security. With me dead, any deal is forfeit. There have been decades long investigations that haven't resulted in jail time. They just killed one of the richest and most influential men in the city, and the only thing they're worried about is what Chloe knows. If you can't provide the confidentiality you promised, please connect me with someone who can."

The woman looked sad, and shut her eyes for a long moment. "I'll need a series of cheques to cover the hospital charges. My friend will fill them out with what looks like monthly payments and file them over a reasonable span of time. And then we'll have to see what we can do for Chloe without getting her into trouble."

"Thank you."

Lex left her to make the appointment, looking for his brother in the small maze of exam rooms and supply shelves. He had to go see his accountant in person and get some cheques prepared.
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

NS Full Member

like chapter.glad you updated.can't wait to see see what happen next.

Thanks for the new chapter! I am so happy to see that this story is continuing!

So excited to see an update!!!! It feels like Chloe and Lex just keep getting deepere in the quick sand with no rescue in sight.

Thankyou for the new update. I hope things start inproving for them. And please have Chloe make Lois lay off the hostilaty tward Lex. She knows he has had a bad time of it too.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Good for Lex for working so hard to keep Chloe safe and he's chosen well with Dr. Concord--she seems like a really good person and I like how she's trying to help Chloe with her recovery.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Full Member

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 44 (July 15, 2012)

Yes, we got an update to the story. I am so touch Lex. He really cares about Chloe and he is making so much effort to ensure she is safe from Morgan Edge and spending so much money to continue to keep her safe. Hopefully, Chloe will be able to get thru. the ordeal and get together with Lex.

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 44 (July 15, 2012)

Chapter Forty-five

Lex skulked around the city like vermin, making brief and nearly silent appearances at his accountant's office, his own corporate office, and his apartment. Tino had shown up for worked as usual, but Lex didn't want to waste time in the big car trying to ease it in and out of traffic. He wasn't too tired to drive, and his fastest car suited his mood.

Now if only I didn't feel like finding the nearest cliff and driving right off, he thought tiredly.

He had a whole book of blank cheques, drawn on a shell company where the employees did not even know Lex Luthor was their major shareholder. He had hurriedly gulped down a coffee and some toast his driver insisted on making. There were arrangements to be made for Lionel, and the police seemed eager to speak to him about the circumstances of death. He had no time for it. Lionel Luther had done everybody a favour dying, and doing so in a hospital meant there was no need to identify the body. Lex would not have rushed in to do so even if it meant his father ended up in potter's field in an anonymous grave.

He would leave Chloe to make sure she was protected and getting the help she needed, but it was not for Lionel to claim one more second of his time.

Lex was fairly certain this cloud of hatred for everything his father was wouldn't extend to running the company. He knew a fair number of employees, and respected their rights to be led by someone who wanted the corporation to succeed. His frustration was temporary, he thought hopefully, and ambition would take over once he'd had time to adjust.

This wouldn't kill him, but Lex felt hobbled. Feeling better seemed like a longer journey than he had the will to travel. He wouldn't give up on Chloe, but he had to put his limited energy toward getting her well.

He squinted into the skyline and wondered whether letting himself think of futures - his own, Chloe's, or some entangled joint prospect - was a mistake.

Chloe sat up gingerly and made herself pick up the juice box Lois held out. It made her fingers too cold, and her stomach was churning in warning. She put the straw between her lips, plugged it with her tongue and mimed drinking until her cousin turned away.

"You can stay with me tonight," Lois said certainly. "Tomorrow I'll drive you home. We'll have to talk to Uncle Gabe soon, but I think we can convince him we were just twigged about your car accident instead of - We'll make sure he doesn't worry too much."

She turned away and brought back a large purse, packed too tightly with clothing to zip. Lois pulled out a blouse and tugged on the cuffs.

"I think I brought something kind of stretchy. It will be easier to take off for the x-rays."

Nodding, the blonde looked around for a place to put the juice. She had a whole array of snacks crowded on her knees, and a stack of magazines was thumped down on one foot.

"Sorry," Lois yelped. She made a face and Chloe shrugged.

"I didn't feel it, really."

"You can still feel your legs though, right," her cousin frowned.

"Yeah, my legs I can feel, but a few magazines didn't hurt me, Lo. Can you put this on the table or something?"

The juice was plucked away and Chloe was treated to Lois' nurse mode. Her good wrist was seized and her pulse counted, then her forehead was tested for fever. She mumbled a little protest and her cheeks went red with mortified feelings.

She had longed for Lois to know everything she was going through, but the reality was awful. Lois was older and wiser in most ways, and Chloe felt like an idiot for ever getting near a Luthor. She was on drugs to ease the worst of the pain, but Dr. Concord couldn't give her anything very strong. Weeks of appointments would bring back the memories of her current pain even if she healed perfectly. Her life would revolve around being a damaged secret.

"So, as far as I know, the private ambulance will pick us up, and we'll go right to the outpatients door to meet with this doctor friend who's sneaking you in. When we get there, the paperwork will be filled out already, but you'll have to answer to the fake name. The bills will be paid by Junior-" Lois sneered as she referred to Lex. "-and all we have to do is play along with whatever name they hide you under."

The chipper voice and can-do attitude only made Chloe's oppressed feelings heavier. She didn't want to do anything, even if it put her body back together. She last remembered wanting something just before she'd locked herself in Lex's shower. Hot water had momentarily pulled her away from the deep awareness of her body's damage. There had been harsh satisfaction in scrubbing Lionel's signs away.

She would not have his baby. There was equal relief in knowing the rather inadequate precautions with Lex had worked, too. She was barely able to get a straw to her mouth. She wasn't fit to be anybody's spy, and obviously unsuited to be a whore. Her emotional reserves were too empty to be a mother, even one who gave her child away. She had prayed so long to be simply useless.

No one would want her now, and Chloe let a tiny, bitter chuckle out from dry lips.

Lex had briefly flicked through the many messages his employees had been collecting while he neglected his responsibilities. He needed to go to the hospital and sign for the release of his father's body. In record time, the medical examiner had done the required autopsy and found nothing to indicate what had really caused his death. Morgan Edge was practiced at murder.

The paperwork was a convenient excuse to hand off the blank cheques to Dr. Concord's friend. If he was able to sneak a visit, he could also check on Chloe. He had to speak to her at least once to assure himself she wasn't going to break down and confess what had really happened if the FBI agents hassled her.

He didn't want to have her lie, but truth would be dangerous. The investigation of his father had been building steam, and it would be difficult to discourage Assistant Director Curry after rallying the agent to find the manpower.

The morgue was on the lowest sub-basement, but Lex was invited to an office instead. He greeted the hospital administrators, a wholely unnecessary gathering of five of them, and sat down in the plush chair they urged him towards. His lawyer read over everything first, he signed without asking any questions, and he was shaking hands around the room with his lawyer inside ten minutes.

When he had convinced everyone else he was fine to see himself out, Lex made his way upstairs in the most distant stairwells he could find. He was becoming glad for the small meal Tino had pushed in front of him. At the time it had just been easier to accept the kindness, but he felt slightly more capable with some nourishment.

He left the stairwells and entered a tiny, beige room with chairs. It looked precisely like every other waiting room ever built, and exceptionally ugly at the same time. The hand-me-down coffee table was piled with battered magazines and a pair of scuffed white sneakers with thick rubber soles. A man dressed in white scrubs stood up and nodded.

"You must be Dr. Concord's friend," he said, watching as Lex took out the cheques. "Miss Zachary came in about twenty minutes ago. Her films showed a fracture but she's getting a soft cast. It should heal fine. She'll be home inside an hour."

The man was acting fairly naturally, no wink-and-nod subterfuge present as he moved closer. Still, it was the second time in a day Lex had been to the hospital to make a secret payoff. He was worried for Chloe and would have liked to visit her to check if she needed anything.

That's rich, his conscience needled. Are you going to give her a basket of kittens to cuddle? Will roses and a box of chocolates make it all better?

Lois was right to guard her cousin like Cerebus paced the gates of the underworld. In her eyes, he was a monster and the son of a monster. There was no gift or restitution to comfort her cousin. Lex knew he could ask for Chloe's room number, but he'd only get into an argument with Lois and draw attention they couldn't afford.

He couldn't buy Chloe. He couldn't charm her. He couldn't even see her. As he handed over the cheques, the billionaire said, "I'm glad she's doing well. Please let her know I'm thinking of her."

The man left and Lex sighed deeply. He'd been thinking of Chloe nonstop for weeks, and if he wanted his sanity he had to stop. Out of respect for her, he had to conclude she wanted to be off his mind just as badly as he needed the space back for his own aching psyche.
    Last edited by kitten; 20th July 2012 at 12:36.
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information