+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 80 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 56 (May 27, 2016)

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 41 (Jan. 9, 2012)

The whole Lex and Tino dynamic was very interesting. How Tino has watched and been a part of the ups and downs in Lex's life. Can't wait to see how Chloe is going to turn out in this all.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Chapter Forty-One

Aargh! Sorry about the massive delay in reviewing, Nonky. I feel horribly sick, but I’m feeling much better now.

This was a fantastic chapter. The last chapter was all about Lex and Chloe suffering through the aftermath shock of their ‘negotiations’ and escape from the cross-fire between despicable, evil forces. This chapter is more about recuperation and recovery… with Lex finding his sense of equilibrium and balance again. Chloe, naturally, will need some more time before SHE starts getting ready to move on and recover… but it’s good to know that at least Lex is on the ball in handling the aftermath of this horrible, horrible situation.

He had seen Lucas once when they were children, across the big lawn of the Smallville house - Lex's nanny pulling him away so he didn't see the way his father laughed his mistress and their son off. The nanny had been sweet and smelled of freesia. She had let him stay up to perfect the math skills Lionel had praised without understanding how many hours of Lex's young life were spent plodding through exercises. Miss Sarah had gone away soon after his mother, slamming a door on his childhood. He held Chloe tighter.
    It was a stark reminder that the man who drove his limo was probably more respectable than he was, Lex mused. He couldn't recall a single flub or misstep from the driver. He treated call girls with the same class and manners as he did visiting LuthorCorp executives. More than anything, Tino was kind. He had tirelessly picked Lex up from drunken sprawls, and several times called for an ambulance that had likely saved his life.
    The previous chapter made a point of highlighting how alone, isolated and therefore vulnerable Lex and Chloe were, especially against the standing armies that Morgan and Lionel commanded. So I liked and appreciated how this chapter highlighted that Lex actually DOES have allies and support, in unexpected places. It’s true that his staff can’t help him fight his battles with him, but they CAN provide comfort, solace, support, reassurance and help in a hundred other different ways… ways that help Lex regain his strength in order to continue fighting.

Loved it! It was heartening and wonderful to know that, despite being neglected and emotionally abandoned by his parents, and isolated and scorned by his peers… Lex still DID always have some kind of reliable support system and companionship to keep him from killing himself.

Pushing aside a strange sentimental turn, Lex carried Chloe toward the master bedroom. It was the only bed left since he'd dismantled the guest room, and the bathroom was close when she needed it. He set her down as gently as he could, and ended up having to lean over her as his back cramped.

Lex cringed at the dirty knees of her jeans, but he couldn't take off her clothes while she was sleeping. He wasn't sure it was sleep, and other words made him afraid for her. She needed to rest and he couldn't handle hysteria, so maybe it was better she lay down. It was beyond him to offer comfort and sanity to anybody else until he could think.

He covered Chloe up to her chin and looked at her face. It was hard to say if there were many small bruises or one large one covering her chin. Her lips were dry and chapped. There were scuffed, darkening marks around her wrists. Her other injuries weren't evident, and he tried not to imagine them. She was tired - perhaps broken - and he had to remain functional.
    I remember how previous chapters illustrated the sheer gutsy strength that Chloe possessed within herself. She might have been over-powered by Lionel’s forces, and then by Lionel himself, and then kidnapped again by a gangster… but she always remained alert and vigilant, assessing her situation and finding loopholes to allow her escape from her situation. Despite the horrific trauma she had been going through, she always remained strong.

Which is why I really appreciated how she’s being depicted as so fragile and breakable over here. In Lex’s view, Chloe has been through the kind of trauma that would break most highly trained soldiers… which is precisely why he can’t help but see her as near the breaking point, if not clear over it. Even the readers themselves cannot be sure that Chloe was not pushed over her limits during those hours that she spent, awaiting rescue, in Morgan’s company. That she was not pushed over the edge when leaving her tormenter to be finally killed by another ruthlessly evil man… that she didn’t break during those harrowing moments waiting for the gun-shots that killed Lionel, running away to perhaps safety outside the hospital.

We hope that Chloe had held onto enough of her immense strength of will to retain her sanity during those final few hours… but we can’t really be sure… not until she wakes up and speaks.

"Mr. Lionel Luthor had an accident, and you went to the hospital to visit. Maybe, he was in the car and it hit Miss Sullivan's cab? A fender-bender, and when she was released you gave her a ride. A kindness, that happened at a particular time that matches with the sad loss of your father? It is private business, but that was my understanding, sir," Tino said slowly. "I'm sure it's not my role to know more than that."

Lex put down his coffee and rubbed his face. It felt awful to be plotting lies, and he wasn't capable of doing it well. He was very lucky to have a loyal driver. "I think you have a good accounting of it," he agreed. "Miss Sullivan has her own car, though. We'll have to see to the repairs in the morning. Perhaps you know a good body shop. I am . . . not inclined . . . to bother with an insurance claim, under the circumstances."
    "It might be the best time to offer retirement to Mr. Luthor's main driver. I don't think he ever took to Mr. Luthor, and he wasn't good with privacy. He would take a few bills to let somebody know where Mr. Luthor was going. If he could afford it, I think he'd be happy to take his wife somewhere warm to live," Tino said seriously. He was holding his hat with both hands, turning it uncomfortably.
    Squeee! Omigosh! I friggen LOVE Tino!! He’s amazing and awesome! It’s one thing to drive your boss away from a crime scene, but it’s a whole new level of loyalty to help that same boss to cover up the crime as well. Tino’s loyalty is extraordinary and awe-insipring enough… but it’s also his sharp, astute attention to detail that helps the readers appreciate how damned lucky Lex is to have an employee like this.

Of course… it might not be luck after all. It might just be Lex’s own charming, charismatic ability to attract highly skilled, intelligent hardworking people to swear undying loyalty to him. I’ll bet that Lionel would have found it damned difficult to inspire THIS kind of loyalty from HIS employees… not unless he either intimidated or over-paid them into submission.

"The FBI got here about an hour and a half behind us," Hansen told him. "They barred us from the house. We burned the bedding and towels from that bedroom-"

Lex didn't need to be reminded which bedroom, but he found himself holding his breath at the imagined stench of misery and fear.
    Gah! Even oblique references to all the evidence of Chloe’s rape in That Room are still freshly horrifying. Damn you, Lionel!!!

"-before they got here, or it would have been evidence. We wiped down the common surfaces for fingerprints. There were few signs of a young woman in the house, though there were some other things; sedatives without a prescription, restraints, some other unpleasant sexual items. It looks as though the house was used for liaisons, perhaps not entirely consensual. We couldn't get it out."

He could give a shit about aspersions on his father's name. He might just pepper his eulogy with anecdotes of the domestic abuse and explosions of temper Lionel had indulged over the years. Lex wasn't going to cover for his father anymore, but he had to think of his employees. He had to consider Chloe's privacy.
    Yikes! I don’t think I really want to know what else was there in that house besides everything that we saw in The Rape Room. It makes sense though, that Lionel would have gotten for himself a whole houseful of sexual torture paraphernalia to use on Chloe during her enforced stay at that house. The bastard probably went on a gleeful shopping spree to gather together all the equipment and ‘toys’ required to break Chloe.

Hmmmm… and it’s also an interesting, AND plausible, idea that this house might have been used for sexual liaisons of dubious consent long before Chloe ever arrived. After all, Lionel as good as admitted that this wasn’t his first rape… so it does make a repulsive sort of sense that Lionel probably continued to indulge in the practice of rape, even after he became a ‘legitimate’ business man.

Lex swallowed down a fresh surge of rage. Lionel's men had forced Chloe off the road. They could have killed her. It was obvious his father's sanity had splintered, his former strategic brilliance becoming deadly shrapnel.
    HAH! I knew it! I knew that I wasn’t the only one who saw fundamental flaws in Lionel’s ‘brilliant’ plans. I KNEW that I wasn’t the only one who took in the details of his plan with aghast, appalled astonishment, wondering how the bloody heck Lionel thought he could get away with it. It’s reassuring to know that I’m not the only one who thought Lionel was cracked out of his mind in kidnapping Chloe and setting her up in some kind of twisted birthing home, until she finally dropped a baby.

It was a good question. Lex was loathe to admit weakness to Curry, but he needed time to sort out all the pieces that made up his cover story. He squeezed his eyes tight and thought frantically. The answer came int Lionel's voice; an old lesson from childhood. He was a Luthor, and short of cooperating with court orders and IRS demands, he wielded a great deal of power. He would use or misuse it for his own purposes, as long as he could justify them to himself.
    Awwww… Although I know Lionel’s voice came in mighty useful in centering Lex over here, and helping him sort out and settle the frantic nature of his thoughts… I STILL felt a distinct shiver of revulsion imagining Lionel’s smooth, mocking voice in Lex’s head. And I’m quite sure that Lex probably suffered a chilly little shiver himself.

"My father died tonight," he said shortly. "I'll need you to get the announcement out before it gets to the morning papers without any comment to pacify the investors. I can't come in right now, but we should be able to do this from your home office. I want a simple announcement, quelling any nasty rumours about the circumstances, and getting ahead of anyone who might attack the company. There will be no layoffs, and there will be no shedding of assets. The company will carry on to be a credit to its founder."

There was hurried rustling on the other end of the phone, probably Mrs. Gerald dressing and taking notes. She mumbled an agreement, no trace of resentment for being awoken before dawn to write a press release.

"Absolutely, Mr. Luthor," she said firmly. "I'm heading to my computer now."

Lex nodded to himself and gave her a minute. He had lost control but it was coming back to him. He would protect Chloe and his company. He had no other choice.
    Yep… there we see it… For better, or for worse… Lex is regaining his equilibrium, and becoming the smooth, manipulative, scheming bastard that is needed for this impossible situation. Let’s see how that turns out, shall we? Personally, I’m wary, and yet optimistic about how things are going to turn out from here on in. Let’s see whether Nonky is done torturing her characters, eh? Lol!

Every time, it's worth the wait. Thank you.
    Last edited by georgee5; 18th January 2012 at 03:02.

Members

This is such an engaging story. It leaves me anticipating the next chapter that will be put up and so happy when the new chapter is put up. Thank you for a great story!

storie girl Senior Member starmoon's Avatar

i really like this story and can't wait for more please update soon.

Members

Loving it

Somehow managed to miss this update....please post more soon! I really like the complexities in this story. There is no black and white, just many many shades of grey.

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Re: The Lesser of Two Evils - NC-17, Chapter 42 (Feb. 18, 2012)

Chapter Forty-Two

There was someone calling her, but Chloe didn't want to wake up. She hurt, and the deep, dreamless sleep helped numb her. She tried to cover her face with her arms, but it sent a sharp agony up to her elbow. She flinched and sobbed. A soft hand lowered her arms down.

"Chloe, I know it hurts, but I need you to help me now," the female voice said. It wasn't unkind, but it definitely held an order.

Chloe moaned as she tried to sit up. She blinked as a woman's hands helped her lift up just enough to be propped up on pillows. Her arms were hanging down into her lap. She watched her own fingers twitch with a disconnect that was frightening. Her focus was too shattered to reach out to her own body.

"It's Dr. Concord. You're at Mr. Luthor's apartment and he called me here to help you," the woman said, sounding somehow friendly, placid and upset at the same time.

She put a hand warmly on Chloe's shoulder, and held it there. It was comforting, and she seemed to be trying to help, so the teenager nodded. "Okay."

It wasn't remotely okay. She wanted to be at home, in the twin bed her father had bought for her. She wanted to be safe and untroubled. Chloe knew she had to convince the doctor and Lex she was fine before they'd let her go.

"Can you tell me what happened to you?"

"I was raped." The blunt words crackled with repression, and Chloe shook her head. It was her voice, but it didn't sound like her. It didn't sound human. "He wanted me to get pregnant. I need something to stop it."

The doctor had removed her hand, and was digging in a medical bag. She was sure to look at Chloe's profile when she asked, "Who hurt you, Chloe? I know you were here alone with Mr. Luthor, but you don't seem afraid of him. Is he the one you're talking about?"

A purse-sized box of tissues was placed next to her hip, anticipating a need for them.

"No, his father. His father wanted to replace him and he needed a new heir for the company. Lex came to get me back. Don't blame him," Chloe told her. "Anyway, it's done. I need birth control to make sure and all the STD tests. He didn't use protection."

A nicely manicured hand took her wrist and held it while pulse beats were counted off. Dr. Concord's body heat was almost visible to Chloe, and she shivered violently.

"Did they teach you first aid at your school? You're in shock. You'll feel cold and disoriented for a while, but it's not dangerous unless you have injuries that are neglected. I'll take good care of you, but I need to know more."

Shaking her head, Chloe was faintly aware of irritation that should have been closer to the surface. She noticed it, and brushed it off, because she knew it was better - safer - to say as little as possible. The events of the past day didn't even sound like facts to her.

"He kidnapped me, and raped me, and then the other man kidnapped both of us. I guess the plan was to kill me, too, but then he . . . didn't?"

Not being sure about whether or not she'd died had to be a really bad sign, Chloe thought.

She moved and her body sent out a thousand distress signals. Her spine turned to water and she moaned hoarsely. Dr. Concord frowned and her hands hovered over her patient.

"I need you to keep still and try to be calm, Chloe," she said. "I know you've had a bad few days, but I don't want you to aggravate your injuries. I have to assess you before I can give you something for the pain. Where does it hurt?"

"Everywhere."

It wasn't an exaggeration. Chloe knew she couldn't be as beaten up as she felt, but she wasn't able to convince her body.

"Okay, that wasn't a very helpful question. I'm sorry. Let's try this; wiggle your toes and tell me if that hurts."

Her legs were stiff and her feet cold, but Chloe felt okay until they had moved up to her thighs. She shifted uneasily, and the ache inside flared up.

"My thighs are bruised, I think," she said. "And between my legs."

The childish answers seemed like more than she could manage. Chloe felt tears bead in her eyes and blinked furiously. "My stomach, too."

Dr. Concord was palpating her middle with a careful pressure and an even more careful expression. Chloe took the tissue box and pulled a few out. She had to use her left hand, and the motion was awkward.

"I suppose you haven't eaten a good meal in at least a day?"

"No. Not much of anything, but I skip meals a lot. My arm - my right arm - really hurts."

The gentle diagnostic touch ranged her left arm first, then skirted the right. The doctor made a face at the swelling she found.

"I think that's due an x-ray," she said. "But that will take some arrangements, so let's check out the rest of you. Your chest is okay?"

Chloe nodded. Her good hand curled under the damaged one, as she flexed the fingers. It hurt but it was reassuring.

"Shoulders are okay. What date is it, and who's the president," Dr. Concord asked.

Chloe told her, and idly wondered what her father thought of not spending her birthday with her. She would have to lie to him, and he would worry anyway. A broken arm was impossible to hide.

"I don't want a cast," Chloe said quickly. "My dad can't see me in a cast or anything."

"I can't promise that. If it's broken a cast is necessary. We can ice it and see what the x-ray shows. Your face is bruised. Are having any trouble inside your mouth? Loose teeth, pain, cuts?"

"No. It wasn't that hard. You're not going to tell my dad, are you? I know Lex said you're discrete, but I want to hear it from you."

"You're my patient and you just turned 18. I can't divulge your records to anyone without your permission. Mr. Luthor did explain the extra risk of your situation. That being said, your family could be a great help to heal."

Chloe shook her head. "He'd just worry. It's me and him and he always feels bad for working so much. I'll follow your instructions really well."

Frowning openly, Dr. Concord sighed. "I think you're going to face a harder recovery than you're expecting, but I won't disrespect your privacy. We'll have to take you somewhere to be treated. I can promise my clinic will be private for you tonight, but that means getting you there before my regular patients arrive. Let me speak to Mr. Luthor, and I'll get that ice for you."

Dr. Jane Concord left the bedroom to find Luthor hanging around the hallway. He looked shamed for a moment, but straightened up to ask, "Well?"

"I think her most serious injuries are vaginal and to her right arm. I know she was raped. Is her arm a part of that?"

He looked at the floor, radiating guilt. If he'd been smarter, faster, better than his father, Chloe would still be the innocent young woman who had thanked him effusively over the phone less than a day ago. If he hadn't been so quick to call her with what he'd thought was their victory, Chloe wouldn't have let her guard down.

"We had to get away fast. I was helping her down some stairs and she passed out. I had to catch her, and I was probably rough. It was get her out of there or -" His gut burned and Lex cut himself off and pushed down anxiety. "I suppose it could have been before, too. She was in a car crash. They ran her off the road. You need to check that as well."

Dr. Concord put up a hand and shook her head. "That's what I want to tell you. I can't treat her here. I know you said there might be people watching outside the building, but it's very early. Is there any way to go to my clinic now? I need x-rays and I'll have to call in at least a few nurses to help. Will I be getting them killed if I call them to work?"

Lex fisted his hands in his pockets. "I can send security over there, but there shouldn't be anyone after Chloe now. We - I made a deal."

Arching her back in irritation, the doctor brushed at her loose hair. "I see. I suppose this deal means she won't get any justice for what she's been through." The set of her mouth was as harsh as her tone was neutral.

"She'll get to live - to outlive the bastards who hurt her. It's all the justice I could give her without getting us both killed. She's already outlived one of them."

The brief charged silence was crushing. Lex hurried to add, "I didn't kill anyone. I wanted to, but I didn't. This deal lets Chloe recover and go back to her life. I know I screwed up, but I'll do anything to make it salvageable."

Sizing him up, she grabbed his wrist and looked at her watch as she counted. "You're pretty close to shock. Trouble breathing? Chest pains?"

Lex chuckled darkly. "I wouldn't be so lucky to die now, doctor. I get to live with how this went down."

She shrugged off his dramatic words, and let go. "You have to come to the clinic with us. Get your security going, and I'll call my nurses. Chloe's been waiting too long."

He didn't think Chloe would want him near her for any reason, but Lex had to see it through now. He dialed his security and started giving orders.
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Poor Chloe and Lex, both of them are in shock. How are they ever going to go back to real world after everything that has happened.

intake of breath... exhale of breath... I have been fortunate enough to have never been in Chloe's situation. I can only hope that she can get though this. I have to wonder if she will ever be able to be with Lex - the man, instead of Lex - my only hope of survival.

Well done. Please don't let this one go back to the graveyard. Lex and Chloe need a resolution.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information