+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birth (Pg13-R)

LarkLuthor
    Just a Guest!

Re: Birth (Pg13-R)

Quote Originally Posted by kellykam
    That was so... powerful? Haunting? that line-- I can't describe it with words. This fic was so great, the kind that you know will stick with you long after you've read it.
    I concur! Amazing...I loved this...a little polishing here and there and it's be one of my altime favorites.

Lark

walking with cavemen Senior Member Zannie's Avatar

Just noticed this story. Why am I not surprised that it is haunting, powerful, and angsty? It rings true to me in so many ways.

She could tell Lionel was being sincere. Gone were the subtle threats and the figurative, quiet, painful punches.
    What a precise, almost inevitable way to capture Lionel's manner and method of social interaction. Your words are concise and perfectly chosen.

But...Chloe could swear that...to hear the father speak with its successor’s voice was...soaring her to the inevitability in her blood. She ached for the blanket of denial that refused to materialize.
    Wow. At this point in the story, the context and situation are still vague and ambiguous, but you can just feel a growing dread with these words. And Chloe aching for denial is psychologically just spot-on.

There was no upper-hand to be had in this.
    *gulp*

Chloe stood motionless and emotionless. Lex would be proud of the latter. She turned around and walked away silently.
    Just those three brief sentences, and they say so much about Chloe--but even more about Lex. I got a clench in my chest when I read it.

But she had been too late. Never-mind the insanity, she suddenly felt an urge to smear her hands in his blood. Lionel’s blood could be on her hands too.
    Fabulous, compelling use of symbolism there to convey a very complex psychological reality.

In this story, you've perfectly nailed several aspects that I've always believed about the Chlex relationship. First, I've always assumed the largest step to Lex's downfall would be murdering his father--and then sort of taking his place. Second, I totally believe that Lex believes that this is destined, inevitable, doomed. And, third, that Chloe would fight tooth-and-nail against this belief in Lex's doom by her faith in human free will.

“To hell with your screwed up definition of destiny, Lex!! Nothing is ever destined. Destiny is what all the choices we make lead up to.”
    and

“I wasn’t fighting against fate, Lex! I was fighting against you!” she cried out. “It’s always been you.”
    Very powerful.

That last little bit in memory was just plain mean: so bitterly ironic as to be unbearable.

Great story. You've really embodied the pain I've always believed was at the heart of the Chlex ship. Of course, my philosophy is that the human spirit is resilient enough to get through it. Your reading is probably more realistic . . . but I'll always cling to my delusions.

Lex's Devoted Love Slave darkangel's Avatar

Wow. This was sad.

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar

That was sad! Poor Chloe

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information