+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Play NC17*Completed*

Fic Tease Senior Member Blaire023's Avatar
    holy shit, this story is sooooooooooooooo great!

i could visually imagine everything that was happening.

you're writing chloe exactly the way i love her written, spunk to spare.

and lex, heee, he's definitely met his match!

NS Full Member
    Wow!

I really love this fic so far, makes feel feel the warm fuzzy Verbal Judo again. Thank you!

~Sugi

Lex needs to be spanked.

Chloe hailed a cab outside Lexcorp. She tucked the bottle inside her coat, and asked the driver to take her home. On the way, she called Julie, one of her friends at the bar and asked her to bring the group to meet her at her apartment. At first Julie was hesitant but when Chloe said that they were all going to be out of work on Monday, the woman agreed to meet her.

It wasn’t a fun-filled weekend. Chloe had told her friends from Baxter that she knew an employee pretty high up in Lexcorp and that he’d given her the head’s up so she could start looking for another job. The others were skeptical at first, but she managed to convince them that she was telling the truth. There were some tears and bursts of outrage. She herself was making plans. She still couldn’t believe that Lex had made his offer. She wasn’t even certain what the details were. She wanted to call him and just ask. Her curiosity was making her insane. How much was he willing to pay her? And did he really intend to pay her rent?

Chloe didn’t call Lex all weekend. She cleaned her apartment, beefed up her resume and went to the Daily Planet. Clark was at his desk, proofing an article; probably for Lois who was a notoriously bad speller. He glanced up when she greeted him.

“Chloe?” His gaze remained unfocused, his mind still on the article. “Hey!” He stood up and came around his desk to embrace her. He looked strange in his dark-rimmed glasses and stern navy suit. The severe cut of his clothes made him look almost lanky, but when she hugged him, she felt the same familiar muscles, hard as steel, beneath. “You look good.” His face clouded over for a moment. “What’s wrong.”

“I have a proposition for a trade to make with you,” she said, squeezing his hand. “Can we get coffee?”

They went downstairs to a coffee shop that sold passably palatable and overpriced hot beverages. Clark paid, of course.

“What’s on your mind?”

“Lex Luthor.” Clark’s eyebrows wrinkled in the middle. He looked troubled. “What is it?” she asked with a little exasperation. “Why aren’t you friends anymore?” She'd asked him this before, he usually avoided it.

“Grew apart, I guess.” He looked out the window and sighed. “Why do you want to talk about him? I didn’t think you ran into each other much.”

“Every couple of weeks, but he’s offered me a job, and I’m not sure if I want to work for him or not.” Her friend raised an eyebrow. “Part of my hesitancy is how little I know about him. If he can lose you as a friend, I need to know why.”

“Chloe, it wasn’t a single event that changed our friendship,” he said, slowly, taking off his glasses. He pinched the bridge of his nose like he had a headache.

“Please tell me.”

“You know, they’re looking for someone in the arts section at the paper,” he said with a hopeful smile. I know you must miss reporting.”

“Quit dodging,” she said with a smile. “I do miss it, but I wasn’t happy there.”

“Okay, last question,” he said, replacing his glasses. “Didn’t Lex offer you a job once and you turned him down?”

“Yeah,” she answered. “When I was here living with Lois and working at my first paying job at the Planet. He offered me a position at Lexcorp part-time. The pay scale was pretty high, but Lionel’s influence there still made me uncomfortable, even though he was dead.”

“I can’t say I blame you.”

“Now, back to Lex.”

“What exactly do you want to know?”

“Keeping in mind everything that happened to me back in Smallville, am I in danger being close to him?”

“That’s a tough question, some people were in danger just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Others, like Lucas, wouldn’t have survived without him protecting them.”

“Hey, I played dead for a couple of months and he managed to keep me relatively safe.”

“You have always had an unusual habit of getting in the way of dangerous people.” He shook his head and mumbled, “runs in the family.”

“Yeah.”

“I think Lex and I grew apart in ideals. He didn’t just shut himself off overnight, but I think his father’s death had a profound affect on his psyche.”

“You mean because he felt guilty?” Clark looked at her sharply, so she smoothly added, “You know, being relieved that his father was dead.”

“In a way, yes. Lex always had that battle, he couldn’t let his guard down and he couldn’t show any weakness. Then suddenly the enemy was gone. I don’t think he knew what to do with all that freedom.”

“Did you talk to him about it?”

“I tried a few times,” Clark admitted. “He was spending more time here in Metropolis, he was busy with work and it became his only challenge.”

“Without his father to keep him busy.”

“Exactly. But eventually, Luthorcorp became Lexcorp and his father’s influence was virtually erased so he didn’t even have that to contend with.”

“Idle hands?”

“Idle, intelligent hands.”

“Why did you stop talking to him?”

“We became friends under unusual circumstances, it led Lex to believe things about himself and continue to believe them. Eventually those beliefs changed him.”

“His immortality complex.”

“Yeah.”

“He should’ve just known that Smallville was being looked after by Clark Kent. Most of the citizens had no idea that a hero lay within their very midst.” Clark looked uncomfortable. “Relax big guy, I’m not prying into anything, or going off with my theories, but let’s face it, you’ve saved more proverbial bacon then the Vegans and PETA combined.”

“I was just trying to help.”

“I’m not complaining.”

“Why don’t you come over for dinner this week,” he suggested. “I’ll invite Lois and we can just have a nice evening together.”

“I’d like that, but I might be busy pounding the pavement.” At his curious look, she continued. “My part of the deal comes as promised. A little scoop before my co-workers spread it around. Lexcorp acquired Baxter Software and we’re all going to be looking for new jobs. Lex offered me one and gave me the head’s up.”

“Good of him.”

“Not entirely magnanimous.”

“Is he ever?” They both shrugged. “I’ll let you get to work on the story, just don’t mention my name.” She handed him a business card. “This is their lawyer’s number. He’ll definitely be losing his job and might be willing to make a statement.” He stood up and Clark pushed back his chair and rose as well. He leaned over and kissed her cheek.

“Let me know about dinner.”

“Make your manicotti with sausage and I’ll give it very close consideration.”
    Last edited by zelda; 20th May 2005 at 07:02. Reason: spelling

NS Senior Member Senior Member sydsvaughn's Avatar
    I really like this Chloe and Clark friendship ... and he's being somewhat honest with her, I so enjoy that.

Is it wrong of me to laugh outright at the thought of Clark Kent cooking?

And I can't wait for more Chlex judo!

SaraC

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

*Spins and spins and spins in desk chair until dizziness hits*

YAY! I love this story!
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

NS Full Member
    ooo just saw this love it, when lex asked chloe to hurt him i was like:

ok :huh: especially after her beating him up

oh well more please

love lea
    xxx

Insane Troll logic girl lexchloe's Avatar
    aww that was nice Chlark. I might actually be able to stand Clark in this story. Bring on the Chlex please.
    I tried to drown my sorrows, but the little buggers learned how to swim.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    I still dont like Clark but it was a nice read.

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

great chapter. The Chloe/Clark interaction was well done. Loved the hero reference, the "proverbial bacon"! :biggrin:

Chloe's in a difficult situation and you're doing a great job showing her gathering info and deliberating before making her decision.

Looking forward to the next chappy!!! :yay2:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information