Thread: Gabe Saw It All (PG)

Gabe Saw It All (PG)

Title: Gabe Saw It All
    Author: Campbti
    Rating: PG
    Spoilers: don’t think so.
    Disclaimer: Don't own, don't sue!
    Category: some romance, just a little ditty
    A/N: This is unbetaed, I wrote it while trying to write something else, this is my tangent. I hope it gives a bit of enjoyment.

Gabe felt bad about going out of town on Chloe’s birthday, but she had assured him it was fine, she was going to the party at Lex’s house and they would do the family thing when he got back. He was not really surprised that she had invited Lex to their family dinner; they had gotten to be good friends. Although he did not really want to stop and consider what might be really going on there. While he would never have pretended to be able to read Lex, he could read his daughter pretty well, even though he tried to never let her know that. It was his one ace in the hole with her. She was so intelligent and had been practically a self-sufficient adult since she was 12, but there were things that hurt her and he knew it. Clark had hurt her a couple of years ago, he knew his daughter had a crush on him and then the whole thing with the dance, and Lana, and then Lana moving in. He didn’t fully understand but he tried to be there for her when she would let him. But over the past year or so she seemed to be ok with Clark and she and Lana were actually friends. The changes in her were so subtle that he wasn’t sure anyone else would notice. He did, she was his little girl, or not so little now. She carried a maturity now that she never possessed before, and the strength that had always been there, now seemed unbreakable. When he first began to see her change he thought it was just growing up, but then he realized it was more. The calmness she had was more pervasive, she was still wild and passionate, but she didn’t let it rule her. She had control now, and he knew exactly where it had all come from, Lex Luthor. At first when she started spending more time with the young billionaire, he didn’t question it. Then when she would call from his house and say she was getting advice on one thing or another, he wondered. Then when he went to pick her up one night a few months ago, after she had gone to Lex’s to get help on a history paper, he had known.

He heard them in the library and listened from the door. Fathers are allowed to eavesdrop on their children, it was a rule somewhere, he was sure of it. He listened to her explain her point on a Roman emperor, and to Lex calmly tell her she was wrong. Gabe winced and waited for the attack she would inevitably launch and hoped it would not be so bad that he would be out of a job. Then he heard her calmly say, “Why”. Gabe shook his head, ‘Was that it, can’t be’. Lex then explained his point and that while he agreed with some of her premise, her conclusion was slightly off. Again, Gabe waited for the tirade to begin. But what he heard was simply ‘Fine’, then she proceeded to tell him how she considered his point of view and would amend her conclusion but not entirely. Then Lex laughed and said “Good enough” and continued to laugh. Gabe stood rooted to the floor, he wasn’t sure he had ever heard Lex really laugh. Then Lex continued “Do you want some dinner, I think Mary made her lasagna.”

“Ooohh, I love her lasagna, but I think my dad will be here any minute.”

“Well next time Rome is giving you trouble let me know and I’ll have her make more.” Lex replied but in a tone Gabe had never really heard before, so relaxed and easy.

“Thanks, I’m gonna hold you to that, but who knows next time it may be the British that rear their ugly heads. And you know you may not be the authority on the history of every age. I may have to seek my lasagna elsewhere,” Chloe was laughing as she said the words

“Well, I can assure you that I am the authority on all things period, I am a Luthor after all, and I don’t want you getting your lasagna fix anywhere else.” He paused, then added, “Mary would be hurt”, then they both laughed.

At that Gabe realized he better make his move, he was getting a little uncomfortable with their easy banter and was beginning to be afraid of being spotted. He backed up and took two loud steps then knocked on the partially closed door. “Mr. Luthor” his voice a little more shallow than he would have liked.

When he stepped into the room, they were quiet but the smile was still on Chloe’s face, Lex was less readable, but he seemed at ease, something Gabe had rarely seen. He always seemed to be ready for attack, always on the defensive. But now he seemed almost normal, almost.

And Gabe was sure that tonight would be anything but….

Fin.

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!
    :biggrin:

Exactly! That's just what should be happening on Smallville right now. Thank you for making sure it happened somewhere. I loved the characterizations because they really do tend to calm each other down.
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Awww that was so sweet.

Hope :chlexsign2:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Insane Troll logic girl lexchloe's Avatar
    lovely.
    I tried to drown my sorrows, but the little buggers learned how to swim.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar
    This was wonderful!

I wish the show could be like this--EXCELLENT :biggrin:
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Aww, this was sweet.

Maybe can we see more? :chlexsign4:

that was cute

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    Excellent story!! :applause: I love Gabe's insight on Chloe and her and Lex's relationship!! :yay2: :chlexsign1: :yay2:

...sleep all day. Senior Member Ainur's Avatar
    I loved this. To see the changes that Lex caused in Chloe through Gabe's eyes, was fantastic. Very insightful. Great job!!!

NS Senior Member Senior Member
    Very nice, I always love Gabe POVs, father's insight and all. The easygoing Chlex conversation was a lovely touch too.

Now, how about a sequel?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information