+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadows of the Past (R )

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    Loved the update!! I'm so glad that Chloe is going to investigate what happened to Megan and Emma!! Please post more soon!! :yay2: :chlexsign4: :yay2:

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar
    A/N: This chapter describes the violent deaths of Megan and Emma. It’s not gory, but the images are intense, and I have to admit to getting the chills a couple of times.

Chapter 4

“Daniel Todd, age twenty five, was arrested for the brutal murder of his wife and daughter. Megan Butler Todd, age twenty-one, was found in the kitchen, lying in a pool of her own blood, with her throat cut. The couple’s daughter, Emma, was drowned and found lying half in and out of the sink. The police arrested Daniel Todd at the scene of the crime. As of this press time, Mr. Todd has not offered an alibi. He refuses to answer police questions.”

Chloe printed out all of the articles in The Daily Planet’s archives. She then went to The Ledger’s archives and began a search for any and all records of the Todd’s and their immediate families. She found articles about Megan and Daniel’s engagement and subsequent wedding. There was also a copy of their wedding photo.

Chloe stared at the picture, and found her eyes filled with tears. Megan looked so happy that day, and then, three years later, she was dead.

Chloe shook her head, and chastised herself for getting so emotional over the death of a woman and her child, nearly a hundred years ago. Yet, it seemed like they were alive just yesterday. ‘Come on, Chloe, get your head in the game. We’ve got a story to investigate.’ With one more glance at the picture, Chloe turned back to the files with new determination.

After two hours of diligent searching, Chloe had a stack of articles about the murder and Daniel’s arrest. She also had articles on Daniel’s family and in particular his father, Michael, who tried to rejuvenate Smallville’s economy by bringing the railroad line to town. But it was in the last file drawer that Chloe struck the mother lode. She found The Ledger’s old publicity photos, dating from 1910 to 1929.

Chloe promptly sat on the floor and began to systematically go though the pictures and sorted them by year. She paid special attention to the photos from 1917 to 1920. After she had them all organized, Chloe went back over all the ones from the specific years she was looking for.

There were plenty of pictures of the Todd’s. In fact, they were considered minor celebrities, and in one photo, were riding their car in the 4th of July parade. Chloe couldn’t help but laugh at Daniel’s obvious discomfort, but Megan and Emma were smiling and waving to the crowd as they rode along.

Chloe placed the photo to the side and continued to go through the stack. There were not that many more pictures, and the ones that featured the family had to do with the railroad.

Chloe gathered up all of the articles and photos she had made copies of and left the file room. She needed to get home so she could reread the articles about the murders. Something kept whispering at the back of her mind that she had missed a crucial clue.

Her dad was in Metropolis for the day, so Chloe would have the house to herself. She could take over the dining room table and her dad wouldn’t be able to grouse at her, good naturedly of course, about her leaving her junk around.

When Chloe got home, the first thing she did was put on a pot of coffee. While that was brewing, Chloe took out her outline, the articles and the photos, and spread them all over the table.

She grabbed a cup of coffee, some chocolate chip cookies and set about going over all of the evidence.

An hour later, Chloe drank the last of the pot of coffee, she was sick to her stomach from eating cookies, and she still hadn’t made any brilliant deductions. She pulled the photos towards her one last time, when something caught her eye.

It was the photo of the Todd family riding in the 4th of July parade.

Chloe nearly smacked herself in the head for missing something so obvious. But, now was not the time to reprimand herself. She had her phone in her hand, and the number she needed to call speed dialed in a matter of minutes.

“Lex? It’s Chloe. I have something to show you. I’ll be over in 10.”

“Chloe, what exactly am I looking at?” Lex tried to keep the exasperation out of his voice, but he was sick of playing twenty questions.

The minute Chloe walked into his study, she thrust a faded photograph in his hand, and told him to tell her what he saw. A number of replies went through his mind, the majority of which would cause Chloe to blush adorably, get flustered, and then, punch him in the eye.

He wisely kept silent and gazed at the picture, hoping to get some clue as to what he should say. Ten minutes passed, and Lex was just as mystified as to the significance of the picture.

Finally, Chloe broke the silence. “I knew I wasn’t losing my touch. It is so obvious that you actually over look it.”

Lex interrupted Chloe in mid-rant. “As much as I usually enjoy listening to other people’s innermost thoughts, I would really like to know what the hell I’m supposed to be looking at.”

Chloe smiled apologetically and hurried to his side. “Okay, remember the journal you bought for me? With the lilac cover?”

At Lex’s nod, Chloe continued. “This is the picture of the woman who owned the journal, with her husband and daughter. Do you see anything familiar?”

Lex looked closely at the picture, and then he saw it. He looked at Chloe and saw her grin of triumph. “You see it now, don’t you?”

Lex slowly nodded, but he appeared to be lost in thought. “What were their names?”

Chloe answered readily. “Daniel, Megan, and Emma Todd.”

Lex closed his eyes, half in relief, and half in panic. “Well, the dreams make a little more sense now.”

“The house is dark, which is strange because Megan always has the lights on in the front parlor. She thinks it makes the house feel more homey. I walk into the front door, and think how silent it is. I can usually here Megan cooking dinner and Emma playing jacks in the hallway. But neither of my girls came running to meet me.”

“I don’t know when it started, but I’m afraid. I make my way towards the kitchen, and that’s when I smell it. The coppery smell of blood and death, and I’m reminded of the battlefield. But it shouldn’t be in my home. Never my home. I brace myself, and walk into the kitchen…”
    Last edited by Kit Merlot; 7th June 2009 at 04:33.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

What... what... stupid comp???

He eat the rest of it! Now I don't know which dreams? Lex has dreams too? And what is obvious? WHAAAT??? I need to know! This can't be the end! Help! WHAT! WHAAAAT!

lexodus
    Just a Guest!
    Originally posted by nokchan@Nov 22 2004, 02:52 PM
    What... what... stupid comp???

He eat the rest of it! Now I don't know which dreams? Lex has dreams too? And what is obvious? WHAAAT??? I need to know! This can't be the end! Help! WHAT! WHAAAAT!
    Yeah, that.

Lex is having dreams? The same dreams Chloe is having? What's in the picture? What is it? I have to know.

:huh: WOA! that fic rocks already! And Lex is having dreams too?! whossh! :goof:
    Love it! want more!

xoxoLaLa

ps to Nokchan: what is ur signature honey? I'm sure I know the line of the father, but from what movie? please telle me! ;-)

Insane Troll logic girl lexchloe's Avatar
    What's obvious?? What's obvious??? I demand you come back right now and tell us!!! uppyeyes: please???? So Lex is having dreams as well ? This is getting really interesting. More soon please.
    I tried to drown my sorrows, but the little buggers learned how to swim.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@ LaLa... it isn't from a movie but from a serie. Called "My wife and kids"
    with the awesome Damon Wayans.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    What is it? Please tell us....

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Senior Member Senior Member Ami Rose's Avatar
    Okay...? Dreams too? :huh: I want more... :crygreen:
    *Coffee Break 9:00 to 5:00 Daily.
    *Heaven doesn't want me and hell is afraid I'll take over.
    *Are you crazy?
    *From zero to insane in 1.5 seconds!
    *If I agree with you, then we'd both be wrong!

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    Thanks for the update!! I can't wait for Chloe and Lex to compare their dreams!! Please come back soon and post more!! :chlexsign2:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information