+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Freak - PG-13 - COMPLETE!

Okay how could you leave it there?! Where is the next update? I scrolled down all excited... and I got nothing!

You'd best get your bottom back here NOW! Cause I wanna know what happens!

Great job

Jen x

NS Full Member
    A/N: Thanks to everyone who reviewed! It really means a lot to me. I'm sort of struggling with how in-depth I want this fic to be, so it's coming slowly. I have the two big scenes all planned, but I haven't decided for certain how to get there. Anyway, here's the next (short) bit, and hopefully I'll get my head wrapped around the rest soon. Thanks again!

Lex closed his eyes and clenched his jaw, then suddenly marched over to his liquor cabinet and proceeded to pour himself a very large glass of scotch. He drained it quickly, then poured another. Her curiosity getting the better of her, Chloe jumped off of the desk and walked over to him.

“Aren’t you going to ask me what’s going on?”

Lex jumped at the sound of her voice practically in his ear, spilling part of his drink down the front of him. Chloe instinctively reached for a napkin, but her hand fluttered back to her side after her fingers passed through the thin tissue she’d tried to grasp.

“Sorry. I’m still getting used to the whole insubstantial thing. You’d be surprised how much you take for granted until a little thing like the lack of sound from your footsteps scares the bejeezus out of a person.”

“It’s not your fault. It’s mine.”

“How could it be your fault? You were just innocently trying to get plastered and I--”

“Because I made you up. You’re not really here.” Lex moved to his desk to sit, carrying the bottle with him. “You’re obviously another figment of my imagination, created as a reaction to my guilt over your death.”

“Another fig-- Yeah, like you could dream up anything as good as me.”

Lex cocked an eyebrow at her.

“You’d be surprised what my mind can do without consulting me first. I don’t suppose you’ve run into Louis anywhere?”

“Um, I don’t think so. Who’s Louis?”

“Another one of my imaginary friends.”

“You’re a weird drunk.”

“I’m not drunk… yet.” He poured himself another drink. “See, didn’t spill a drop.”

“You have guilt?”

“Pardon me?”

“You said you have guilt over my death. Why?”

“I was supposed to protect you.”

“Oh. Well, yeah, but he got you too.”

“That’s not an acceptable excuse.” Lex watched silently as Chloe sat down in the chair in front of his desk, idly noting that the leather upholstery didn’t move as her form appeared to sink into it. He took another drink.

“Lex, you had no control over what happened. You did what you thought was best, and so did I. Unfortunately for my dad…” Chloe drew a perfect facsimile of a shaky breath. “…we were both wrong.”

“For what it’s worth, you can’t know how sorry I am.”

Chloe started to speak, then seemed to think better of it. They sat in silence for several minutes, Lex drinking his scotch while she stared at the floor.

“Well, I guess your appearance is my psyche’s way of forcing me to avenge your death.” He started at the knock on the door. “Come in.” A servant entered and stood before the desk.

“Mr. Luthor, your supper is ready.”

“Thank you. I’ll be there shortly,” Lex replied, his words faintly slurred.

“Yes sir. Miss, shall I set a place for you as well?”

“Um, no thank you. I’m not really hungry.”

“Yes ma’am.” The man bowed slightly and left the room, closing the doors behind him.

“Thanks for not asking for a plate. My staff might desert me if they were forced to set places for people they couldn’t even see.” He took another drink while Chloe stared at him. Without warning, he sprayed the desk with the amber liquid. “He spoke to you.”

“You caught that, hunh? Way to go, lush.”

Lex blinked several times.

“Okay, I give. What’s going on?”

“See, I was waiting for you to ask me that.” She smiled happily.

“Again… what’s going on?”

Chloe’s smile fell.

“I was hoping you could tell me.” She shrugged at Lex’s glare. “I do know one thing, though.”

“What’s that?”

“If anyone’s going to be avenging, it’s going to be me.”

(TBC)

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar
    “You caught that, hunh? Way to go, lush.”

CLASSIC!!!!!! :biggrin: :

NS Senior Member Senior Member
    Yay I love how they're so cute, and how Chloe's being so characteristically flippant about being a ghost and all. I like Lex's self-psychoanalysis. I definitely wouldn't like to be his shrink.

So can they go haunt Lionel now? And, if it's not too much trouble, could you find a way to work in the smoochies?

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Huh.. So Chloe is a ghost they can see. Interesting....

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

I am soooo not an addict tiger04's Avatar
    That was great. all smiles with the lush comment. You are doing a wonderful job. Chloe a ghost, with neither lex nor herself knowing whats going on. can't wait to see what happens next. Looking forward to the next update.
    AT

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    Originally posted by sylvia@Sep 12 2004, 06:23 AM
    Yay I love how they're so cute, and how Chloe's being so characteristically flippant about being a ghost and all. I like Lex's self-psychoanalysis. I definitely wouldn't like to be his shrink.

So can they go haunt Lionel now? And, if it's not too much trouble, could you find a way to work in the smoochies?
    I like your new chapter also, but I would love some Chlex smoochies!! Please!! :biggrin: Please post another chapter soon!! :yay: :chlexsign3: :yay:

NS Full Member
    A/N: You guys soooo rock! Your wonderful feedback has inspired some direction for this fic, so hopefully I will be able to really go with it now. Thanks for all your kind words As for smoochies... my lips are sealed...

Lex ate in silence. If he hadn’t occasionally given her one of his characteristically unreadable looks, Chloe would have thought he had forgotten she was even there. Mourning her lack of laptop, she finally closed her eyes to contemplate how she might best get back at Lionel Luthor. A few minutes later, she opened them again at the sound of Lex’s chair scraping across the hardwood floor of the informal dining room.

“I’m going to bed,” he told her curtly. “Goodnight, Chloe.”

“Sleep tight. I’ll let you know if I spot anything weird while I’m haunting about the castle.”

“I suppose it’s too much to ask that you stay in the public areas of my home.”

“Pretty much, yeah. I mean, what are you going to do, kill me?” She grinned at his annoyed look. “Relax, I might be the best security you’ve ever had.”

Her carefree countenance faded as Lex disappeared down the hall. Security indeed. Other than screaming at the top of her ethereal lungs, there was nothing she could do to protect Lex from the next attack from his father. Her tears slid down her cheeks unchecked and she wrapped her arms around herself. She squeezed her eyes tightly shut as she remembered the last conversation she’d had with her own father.

”Well, this is quite an adventure isn’t it?”

“Dad, I’m so sorry. I don’t know how I can tell you--”

Gabe had hugged his daughter.

“Shh… I know, honey. I blame myself too, you know. I should have been paying more attention to what was going on with you, where you were… I never should have given you the opportunity to get into this mess.”

“I’m going to get us out of it, I promise you.”

“Don’t worry about that now. We’re going someplace safe, and you can just let Lex worry about everything else. Other than the trial, it’s not our problem anymore.”

She had sighed softly.

“Part of me thinks he should be coming with us.”

“Chloe, Lionel raised him. I’m sure he can handle himself. Besides, he’s not exactly the sort of influence I want for my young, innocent, impressionable daughter.”

“Hey!” she’d said, laughing, as she’d swatted at him.

“Oh, look at that, we’re here. Saved by the arrival!”

Chloe had stopped laughing and furrowed her brows.

“But we’re still in Smallville…”

Her longing for her father was almost palpable. Sobs shook her shoulders as her guilt crashed down on her, but a sudden movement near her foot caught her attention. She looked down and saw that a frightened squirrel had darted away across the grass. Her eyes widened in surprise, and she fell from her seated pose to the ground.

“What the hell…” She gasped as she realized that she was next to a fresh pile of dirt. Her eyes followed the mound to its end with trepidation, and she scrambled backwards in horror as her fear was confirmed. She was at her father’s final resting place, which meant that on her other side was…

…her own grave. She screamed and covered her face, unconsciously crying out.

“Lex!”

Hours later, her reverie was interrupted by a stirring on the bed above her. Subsequent to screaming his name in the cemetery, Chloe had found herself transported to Lex’s bedside immediately. After she’d confirmed that he was still deep in his drunken sleep, she slumped against the bed and considered her situation. It hadn’t taken her long to realize that she could go wherever she desired, and she’d tested the theory with quick jaunts to the former Talon and the Torch office. That didn’t seem too unusual for a ghost, she supposed; more like an extension of the mindset that allowed her to rest against surfaces when she could just as easily slide right through them. In fact, it could be very useful in her plans concerning Lionel – and if she focussed on that, she wouldn’t have to think about why her subconscious had chosen Lex’s side for a place to run when she was scared out of her wits.

But now Lex was moving around, muttering incoherently in his sleep.

Great, she thought. Like Lex Luthor’s wet dreams are something I really want to be privy to. She rose and started to leave the room, hoping it was really something so innocent.

“Chloe!” Lex called out. She stopped and turned slowly, wracking her brain for a plausible explanation for her presence in his bedroom. “Chloe! Stop!”

He was still asleep, and he had begun thrashing in his silk sheets. His face was contorted with some emotion she could only guess at, and he was gripping the edge of his pillow tightly. It was the same nightmare she’d seen him have every night since he’d learned of her death, and she felt just as helpless as she had before.

“Chloe!” His cry was laced with agony and grief. She suddenly realized her new form gave her the ability to do something after all. She rushed to his side and sat gingerly on the edge of the bed.

“Lex, I’m here. It’s okay, I’m… I’m safe. I’m right here with you.” His face relaxed and he slowly eased his grip on the bedding. He mumbled softly as he drifted back into peaceful slumber, and all she caught was her name and the word “stay.” She bit her lip. “Don’t worry, Lex. I’m not going anywhere tonight.” She stretched out beside him to watch him sleep.

The next morning, Lex awoke to a dull ache in the back of his head, a slightly queasy feeling in his stomach… and the certainty that he was not alone. After careful consideration, he realized that his recollection of the events of the previous evening was very hazy. He vaguely remembered being with Chloe, but he chalked it up to his recurring nightmare that had deterred from its usual course to end with her in his arms instead of in a cold and lonely grave. Without opening his eyes, he gently patted the bed beside him, hoping for some clue as to who the body he sensed next to him belonged to.

There was no one there. He sat up quickly, but there was no sign anyone had been in his room at all. He groaned as he rubbed his face with his hands, then dragged himself from the sheets to stagger toward the bathroom, home of aspirin, water, and the shower.

Suppressing her sudden urge to peek in once she heard the water running, Chloe willed herself away from her position under the bed. That had been close.

Lex was on his way to the terrace when a servant stopped him.

“Mr. Luthor, your breakfast is served and your morning papers are on the table. Your… er… guest is waiting for you also, but she did not require anything.”

Lex sighed. He’d remembered a bit more about the previous evening while he’d showered. Either he really had been with Chloe, or he really needed to check himself in somewhere. Possibly both.

As a result, he was not surprised to find the blonde apparition seated at the table when he walked outside.

“Could you turn this over, please?” she asked as he sat down.

“Pardon?”

“Could you turn the Times over? The rest of this article is on the other side.” Shaking his head, he did as she’d asked before choosing another paper for himself.

“Will you require the entire paper spread out across the floor before I leave?”

“Yes, in duplicate. Can’t miss the things on the back.”

“Of course. Shall I leave the television on for you as well?”

“No, but you could download a voice-activated browser if you don’t mind.”

“No trouble at all.” Lex finished perusing the stock numbers he was interested in, then folded down the top of his paper. As he’d suspected, Chloe was grinning broadly. He smirked his reply, then started on his breakfast.

“Actually,” she said, “I’ve got plans for the day.”

“Oh?”

“I’m going to get to work on gathering more information for the case against your father. I think it will actually turn out pretty well – I can find the information without anyone knowing I was there, and you can send in a goon to retrieve it after I tell you what to look for.”

“A goon? Are we Mafia now?”

“You know what I mean,” she said, rolling her eyes. “The point is, we can find all the information we need without putting you in danger.”

Lex put his fork down and leaned back in his chair.

“Chloe, I don’t know how to tell you this… but there really isn’t a case against my father at this point. With you gone and Clark missing, the judge declared the case closed for lack of evidence.”

“What? That’s insane! Lex, it is so obvious that your father had me killed and tried to poison you, the judge would have to be blind not to see--” She stopped, her jaw frozen mid-speech. Slowly, she sank back into the chair. “Your father got to him too. He paid him off, or threatened his family.”

“It would seem that way.”

“Fuck!” Chloe slammed her hands down. Had she been corporeal, the table would surely have tipped, but instead her fists landed ineffectually against her knees. Her outburst brought a servant running, however.

“Is everything alright, Mr. Luthor?” the matronly woman asked.

“Yes, we’re fine,” Lex replied, shooting Chloe a warning look.

“Oh. Well, let me get you more coffee while I’m here.” The woman hurried to the table, picking up a pot from the warmer by the door on her way by. As she poured, she gave the shadows that lay across the granite floor an idle glance. Suddenly, her eyes widened, and she looked at Chloe, then back down at the ground. She backed away from the table and hurried into the house.

“Geez, Lex, that’s pretty good, your mere presence scares away the help,” Chloe said sarcastically. He looked down at the ground near the table, then back up at her.

“It wasn’t me, oh transparent one.”

Chloe looked down at the ground, where the wrought-iron breakfast table and chairs were perfectly outlined in shadow. Lex’s figure was more abstract, but also plainly visible. But where she should have been… there was nothing. Heaving a sigh, she flopped back in her chair. Lex chuckled and returned to eating.

“Did you say Clark’s missing?” she asked after a few minutes of silence. She'd known he hadn't been around, but she hadn't realized he'd actually disappeared again.

“Apparently. I haven’t spoken to the Kents. As best I can tell, though, it has nothing to do with my father.”

Chloe remembered the cup Jonathan had given to her to have investigated. She knew Clark’s disappearance probably had everything to do with that mysterious girl.

Maybe she had plans for the day after all.

(TBC)

LarkLuthor
    Just a Guest!
    I'm loving this! It's so intreging! I'd love some more about Lex's reaction to all of this now that he's sober. Update soon!

Lark

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar
    woot awesome!! I missed just abit but... woohoo!

Chloe - reporter in life and in afterlife...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information