+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightswimming - R *COMPLETED 7/5/04*

Demented Detective Senior Member newbatgirl's Avatar
    A/N: I have been trying for days to write the next chapter of 'Family Matters' but I can't because this is taking up residence in my brain!!! Dammit. So I decided to put it out here and hopefully, my brain will cooperate now and let me get back on track.

Needy writer, will work for feedback.

Title: Nightswimming
    Author: Newbatgirl
    Rating: R
    Email: newbatgirl@yahoo.com
    Pairings: Chlex
    Spoilers: Covenant, for sure.
    Category: Romance
    Summary: Six years into the future, Lex and Chloe meet in California and get to know each other better through a unique nightly ritual.
    Disclaimer: Don't own them, not profiting from this in anyway except for occasional boosts to my self-esteem (if I am lucky). If I were profiting, do you think I'd be driving that piece of crap sitting in my driveway? Don’t think so.
    Notes: Not really a songfic but loosely inspired by REM's Nightswimming from the CD Automatic For the People, which is as close to perfect as a CD can get in my opinion. This fic is also kind of a big wet kiss to the City of San Diego.

Prologue

You, I thought I knew you.
    You I cannot judge.
    You, I thought you knew me,
    this one laughing quietly underneath my breath.
    Nightswimming.

A Waterfront Hotel, San Diego, CA…late afternoon

Lex Luthor checked his watch for the third time and stabbed the UP button on the elevator again. Logically, he knew that it wouldn't make it come any faster but he had to do something. With a subtle sigh of impatience he scanned the lobby of the hotel. As far as hotels went, it was nice, if a bit excessive on the gold plate and marble. His spacious suite on the top floor was likely even more beautiful, not that it mattered much. He didn’t really intend to spend much time there. He was in town to finalize a deal and he would probably be in meetings for much of his stay.

Lex's eyes lingered briefly on the rather attractive rear end of a woman leaning over the front desk. From his angle, all he could see of her was the way the black skirt she was wearing enhanced her curves. He heard the desk clerk say "We'll send someone up shortly with your bags, Miss."

"Thank you," she answered and began to move towards the elevator. Lex quickly averted his eyes. He didn't want the woman to see him checking her out. It might encourage her to start up some boring and trite conversation that he didn't have time for. He had just enough time to get upstairs, change his shirt, clean up a bit, and get back downtown to have dinner with the president of CalChip, the company he was trying to acquire.

He barely glanced up when she joined him at the elevator bank. Out of the corner of his eye, however, he could see that she had chin-length blond hair and most of her face was covered by dark sunglasses. She pulled out a ringing cell phone.

"Hello?…Hey, Mark. No, I just finished checking in, the plane was delayed…Are you crazy? Do you have any idea how long it would take to drive from San Francisco to San Diego?…"

The elevator arrived and Lex gestured to the woman to enter first. She did, still talking into her phone.

"No, Mark…I can't right now…I'm worn out from the flight and I look like shit…well that's very nice of you, but it's still true…I need to get cleaned up… I'll just see you there tonight, OK?"

Lex punched the bottom for this floor and looked expectantly at the woman to do the same. At that instant she was slipping off her sunglasses and tucking them and her phone into her purse. A wave of her blond hair fell across her face as she ducked her head to accomplish the task, but the face was unmistakable. His stomach tightened.

"Chloe Sullivan?"

Her head shot up and her green eyes met his, wide with surprise, then recognition.

"Fuck!"

"Nice to see you, too."

The elevator doors slid closed.

End Prologue.

Demented Detective Senior Member newbatgirl's Avatar
    Chapter One – Day One

"Nice to see you, too."

Lex took advantage of her stunned silence to let his eyes roam more thoroughly over her. He was not disappointed with how the last six years had treated her. With her black skirt, she wore a bright red shirt, cut low and snug enough to show off her figure without being indecent. Her hair was short, as she had always worn it, but fuller, wavier, and cut in a very polished style. From the top of her sleek head to toes of her black pumps, Chloe Sullivan looked like a professional woman, a sharp contrast to the snarky teenager with the funky clothes her remembered from Smallville.

As the elevator began to move, Chloe seemed to snap from her trance. She leaned towards him to punch the '20' on the panel. "Sorry, just a bit surprised to see you." She said, her eyes fixed on the flashing lights above the door rather than him.

"Same here. You look…wonderful." he said honestly.

"Thanks," finally meeting his gaze again. "You look good, too…Lex."

And he did look good. He was clad in black pinstriped Armani with a white shirt and a steel gray tie hanging loosely around his neck. She was glad of the latter, she always thought he looked better without a tie, or at least a bit rumpled. "Don't go there, Sullivan.' she warned herself.

"What are you doing in San Diego?" he asked.

"I’m here for the California Press Association Conference at the Convention Center."

"Of course, and you're with the Chronicle now, right?"

She looked at him sharply and he added, "Clark told me."

"I'm surprised he even knew," muttered Chloe. Lex decided in an instant not to go near that one.

"How long are you in town?" he asked instead, realizing that they were running out of time. Chloe's floor was approaching.

"Until Monday." She had no intention of asking him the same question. There was no way they would…

The elevator chimed and they both looked up at the panel. Floor 20.

Adjusting the strap of her handbag, she gave him a faint smile, "I should go. It was nice seeing you again, Lex." She stepped off the elevator.

Lex waited several seconds before springing off the elevator after her.

"Wait…Chloe…Hang on." He walked briskly to catch-up with her halfway down the hallway. She looked up at him with a confused expression on her face and for a brief second, Lex saw the 17 year-old Chloe in front of him.

Innocent. Inquisitive. Irresistible.

"I was…uh…wondering if you and I could have dinner while we're both in town. I'm here until Monday as well."

"Why? So we can reminisce about all the good times we had?" she said, with her trademark sarcasm and yes, a small amount of bitterness.

"No, Chloe. Just to…spend time with an old friend."

Chloe returned his gaze for long moment. It was tempting. To get to talk to him again, after all this years. With no one around to question their relationship. To question them. She shook her head to drive away the thoughts.

"It's not a good idea."

He caught her arm gently. "Chloe, he's dead."

There was no question who 'he' was.

"I'm aware of that, Lex. But that doesn't mean I want to be reminded of him." She pulled her arm, away and continued walking down the hallway away from him, not looking back.

Room 2025…Later that night…

Chloe flopped down onto her bed and kicked her pumps off with a force that sent them halfway across the room. She had been looking forward to this conference for weeks, even more so after she had been asked to be a panelist at one of the sessions. It was an honor, a feather in her cap, a nod from her colleagues that she was doing something right in her chosen profession. There was no way in hell she could allow a chance meeting with Lex Luthor to flummox her whole trip. She was stronger than that.

‘Yeah, as evidenced by the way you moped through the CAPA cocktail party and dinner just now.’ said her annoying inner voice. She winced as she remembered her parting words to him. The words that had been the cause of her distraction all evening. She hadn’t meant to be so harsh; he had done nothing to deserve it. Now she felt sick at the thought that she had hurt him in the worst way possible – by comparing him to Lionel. Her words had not reflected her feelings, but her fears, and now she regretted both.

She doubted that any of her colleagues at the dinner had noticed her distracted state. Chloe Sullivan had conducted enough interviews with people who were legends in their own minds that she could feign interest in almost all social situations. Not that she missed much tonight anyway. The cocktail party and dinner were designed for the association members to learn each others’ names and practice being nice to one another, even though in reality, very few of them actually liked anyone else. Journalism was not a career in which you formed lifelong friendships with your co-workers. Tomorrow, Chloe decided, when the meetings began and they started talking about actual media issues, things she cared about, it would get better.

But right now, she was mentally exhausted and physically wired. She needed a way to work off the tension in her body so she could get a decent night’s sleep. Rolling over on to her stomach, Chloe pushed the button on her bedside phone to connect to the hotel operator.

“Yes, Miss Sullivan?”

“Hi, I was wondering what time the hotel pool is open till?

“24 hours ma’am. We expanded our hours to accommodate our business travelers.”

“Great and the room service?”

“24 hours as well, ma’am.”

‘Double sweet.’ “Great, thanks.”

“You’re welcome, Miss Sullivan.”

Chloe hung up and stretched, wiggling her fingers and toes. A swim and maybe a snack were just what she needed. She could work off some energy and take her mind off one Lex Luthor.

Fifteen minutes later, Chloe padded out through the sliding glass doors leading to the patio just off the mezzanine level of the hotel. The pool and hot tub were located outside, four levels up from the street, allowing for privacy but still offering guests a stunning view of the bay on one side and the city’s magnificent skyline on the other. ‘I could get used to this,’ she thought. ‘Two bad I’m only here three nights.’

The patio was deserted due to the late hour. She would likely have the pool to herself.

Chloe looked at the pool with a practiced eye as she undid the sash of her short terry robe. It was comparable in size to the one in her gym at home. She wouldn’t need to adjust the number of her laps. Without hesitation, she strode to the deep end and plunged in, not bothering to take time to let her body adjust to the change in temperature. She would be warm from the exertion soon enough.

She immediately began her laps, slowly at first to allow her muscles to get used to movement again, then faster, pushing herself to the level to which she had grown accustomed. Halfway through her set she decided to pause at the deep end to take a breather. She looked up just as her hand touched the wall and saw a male figure standing right above her.

Panicked at the sight, her hand slipped off the wall and she failed to get her kicking in rhythm quickly enough to prevent her head from going under.

She felt the impact of another body hitting the water and then felt a strong pair of arms lifting her to the surface. She sputtered, coughed, and blinked to get the water out of her eyes and mouth. Then she looked at her would-be rescuer. It was Lex. ‘Of course, who else would it be? Damn it!’

“Are you alright? I guess I scared you.” he said.

“You’re damn right you scared me! I didn’t expect to see someone just standing there this time of night.” She retorted, getting her body under control again. Well except for the fact that she was currently being held by a bare-chested Lex Luthor.

“I’m sorry about that. I guess you and I had the same idea…to take advantage of the pool’s late hours?”

She nodded and pushed the wet strands of hair from her face. “Yeah, I’m not sure how much I can do now after you just gave me a heart attack.” She said it with a smile hoping he would realize that she wasn’t really mad.

“Yes, well, you’re young, you’ll recover. I should let you finish your laps.” Lex loosened his hold on her but she stopped him by placing a hand on his bare shoulder.

“Wait, Lex. I’m actually glad I ran into you again. I wanted…to apologize for earlier.”

“There’s no need…”

“Yes, there is,” she interrupted. “I should not have said…what I said. It isn’t true. And it isn’t fair to you. You don’t…remind me of him…”

“But I do remind you of the whole situation, though, right?”

She hesitated. “Yes, but that’s not the same thing. Anyway, I’m sorry for what I said.”

“Chloe, I’m used to it.”

“Not from me.” she said firmly.

He smiled slightly. “Apology accepted. End of story.”

“OK.” she agreed and pulled back a bit, finally realizing how much warmth they had generated by being so close to one another. She pulled away and held on to the wall for support. He ducked under the plastic rope separating the pool lanes and positioned himself to begin his own laps. With a grin he called out to her. “I don’t suppose I could interest you in a little competition?”

“Not likely, Luthor. You’ve got a considerable height advantage on me, not to mention the fact I’ve been swimming for some time now and you’re fresh.”

“Maybe next time then.” He began swimming before she could answer and she was somewhat grateful for the chance to get her bearings before she started swimming again herself.

Within minutes she completed the number of laps she wanted to do tonight, but instead of getting out she flipped over onto her back and just allowed her body to float. For several long moments she just let the momentum of the water carry her as she looked up at the stars in the cloudless sky. Yes, this was certainly better than swimming in her gym. It didn’t matter that she was in a hotel pool in the middle of one of the busiest cities in the country. Right now she felt like the only person in the world.

She heard the splashing nearby and the sounds of wet feet on the patio. Well, not quite the only person.

Lex looked down at her, floating contentedly in the pool. The look on her face was new to him. He had never seen Chloe this relaxed before. It suited her. When he had found her in the pool earlier, he had almost left, not wanting a repeat of their painful earlier conversation. But he had hesitated too long, been too caught up in watching the way she pulled herself through the water. Soon it was too late, she noticed him standing there and nearly drowned herself at the shock.

He had been surprised at her apology and he hoped he hid it well. She was right about him not being used to such harsh words from her, that’s why it had hurt, even though he would never admit it. But Chloe Sullivan had a way of getting him to drop his guard, even when he didn’t want to. She always had. That was just one of the reasons he had thought of her often in the past six years.

He saw as she opened her eyes and found him watching her. She blushed a bit and he thanked God that there were some constants in the universe.

“You plan on staying in there all night?”

“Maybe. It’s not exactly the worst idea I’ve ever had.”

“You’ll turn into a prune and you’re far too young to have that many wrinkles.”

Chloe swam over to the ladder nearest to where he stood. “I’m not as young as I used to be,” she said cryptically, pulling herself up.

The water dripped from her petite form, distracting Lex for a few seconds. He had seen woman in far more provocative swimwear than Chloe’s simple black tankini but none made his heart stop like she did. Maybe it was the way she carried herself, confident and completely unselfconscious. Or maybe it was just that it was her. For the sake of his sanity, he reached back and grabbed another towel and offered it to her.

He turned away from her slightly as she dried her face and head, making no attempt to cover the rest of her. “You done already?” she asked.

He nodded. “I was thinking of testing out the hot tub. Care to join me?”

There was a challenge in his voice and in his eyes. She had turned him down once today and he wanted to see if she would do it again.

Tossing her towel aside she walked past him towards the hot tub. “I’d love too.”

She climbed the steps to the hot tub area and adjusted the timer before slipping under the bubbling water, the contented look on her face once again. Lex followed soon after her, and positioned himself on the opposite side of the tub. There was plenty of room for them both. In fact, the tub could probably hold eight people comfortably.

“So what are you doing in San Diego?” asked Chloe, her eyes skimming over Lex’s muscled arms, which he had spread out on the rim of the tub on either side of him.

“I’m looking into acquiring a company out here.” He noticed the familiar gleam in her eye. “And no, I can’t tell you which one.”

She rolled her eyes. “I know that. I know SEC regulations as well as you do. Of course you could give me a hint.”

“I could…but I won’t.”

“Still as close-mouthed as ever.” She grumbled good-naturedly.

“Yes, I have to be. But perhaps it would make you feel better to know that if anyone could get it out of me, it would be you, Miss Sullivan.”

As he had hoped, his words got her blushing again. “Are we back to that? I thought for sure we had gotten past the Miss Sullivan and Mr. Luthor thing.”

“We have.” He admitted. “Sometimes I like to do it for old time’s sake.”

Another eye roll. He wondered briefly if he should keep count.

“I guess I should be flattered.” She mused. “I bet I could figure it out on my own. Knowing how well Luthor Corp. has been doing lately on its own and how focused you’ve been recently on your core businesses, I’m guessing this acquisition has more to do with opportunity than need.”

Lex looked at her, willing his stone face into place. ‘Damn, she’s good.’

He immediately moved to change the subject slightly. “You’ve been following Luthor Corp?”

“Of course.” She replied. “You’ve been doing well.”

“There’s always room for improvement.” was his automatic reply and she chuckled. Still the perfectionist.

“And I even hear that most of that success is actually from reputable business practices.” she continued with a smirk that could rival his.

“Most? How do you know it’s not ‘all’?”

“Like you said, there’s always room from improvement. Besides, I doubt even six years is long enough for you to clean out all of your father’s ‘activities’ which I’m sure you’re trying to do.”

Lex fell silent for a moment. She had a lot of faith in him, more than most people who saw him all the time. What the hell had he done to deserve that?

“Perhaps. And how about you? How are you doing?”

“You’re the one who knew I was at the Chronicle. You tell me.”

“I knew through Clark.”

“So you said, but I have to think you knew before that that Dad and I settled on the West Coast. How else would you have made sure that your father’s hex was taken off our respective careers?”

It was Lex’s turn to smirk at her. She was two for two. “I only tracked you two until you were settled, I haven’t tracked your activities for five years.” It was the truth. After they escaped the attempt on their lives, he had worked with the FBI to make sure that Gabe and Chloe Sullivan were sent far away from Smallville and Lionel Luthor. After Lionel died, the FBI told them that they could return, but they hadn’t. He hadn’t been surprised, there were probably too many bad memories in that aptly named town for them.

“Well, thank you…I guess. I am doing well, the Chronicle recruited me right out of Berkley. That doesn’t happen often. I had to do my share of crap assignments for a while but it was worth it.”

“I’ll bet, and your father?”

“In Seattle. He’s running a water treatment plant up there. He’s happy as can be, even in the rain. I can’t understand how, I mean, I can handle the fog, but fog *and* rain? No thanks.” She said.

“Chloe, I worked with your father. If he could be happy running a Luthor Corp. crap factory, I’d venture a guess that he could be happy anywhere.”

“That’s true.” She agreed, leaning back against the tub to look up at the sky once again. “You know, if someone told me that lightening was going to strike this very spot right now, I still don’t think I would move. This feels amazing.” She let her legs bob to the surface and she wiggled her toes, only a foot or so from where he sat.

“How about you? Are you happy?” He didn’t know what the hell made him ask that. ‘Shit.’

Chloe looked at him quizzically. Then she appeared to think about it. “Yes, yes I am. You don’t make a lot of friends in journalism but I guess that’s a tradeoff. The ones you do make are good ones.” She was thinking of her editor, Jen, and few others. A very few.

He smiled again. “I’ll let you in on a secret, Chloe.” He said, leaning in, “You don’t make a lot of friends in my line of work either.”

She smiled at the hidden meaning. “You and I should take one of those Dale Carnegie classes together. Learn how to ‘win friends and influence people’?”

Lex laughed. “I doubt it; it’s been my experience that if you do one of those too well, you can’t do the other. Strange, isn’t it?”

“Very strange.”

They sat in comfortable silence for few minutes, taking turns looking out at the bay and watching one another when they thought the other wasn’t looking. Finally, Chloe pulled herself from the water. “I should probably go up. I have to be up early tomorrow.”

Lex nodded and pulled himself out of the tub, offering his hand to help her as well. When she took it, he breathed in sharply at the feeling. Six years, and he could still feel the spark when they touched. ‘Does she feel it too?’ he thought to himself. She was pink again but he couldn’t tell if that was from the hot water or from something else.

They made their way over to their towels and dried off in silence. She pulled her terry robe around herself and he let out an almost audible sigh of relief as he pulled a t-shirt over his head. At least he didn’t have to ride up in the elevator with her in just a swimsuit.

He was very aware of her presence as they made their way back inside. Chloe shivered a bit at the rush of cool conditioned air they encountered.

As they waited for the elevator, Lex heard Chloe take a deep breath before she spoke again. “Lex, does that offer for dinner…?”

“Yes.” he said, before he could stop himself. ‘Anxious much?’ said a voice in his head that sounded a lot like 17-year old Chloe. “I mean, if you’ve changed your mind, that is.”

“I have, I just can’t tomorrow. We have another conference dinner.”

Lex nodded and hid his disappointment.

“I’m free for breakfast, though, if we eat early.” she offered. The elevator arrived and Lex gestured for her to enter first again.

“Is 8 early enough for you?” he asked taking his place in the lift and punching the ‘20’ for her and the ‘PH’ for himself.

“It’s perfect. I know just the place we can go.”

“Where?”

“It’s a surprise.”

“I don’t like surprises.”

She grinned up at him. “That sucks for you, doesn’t it?”

He frowned at her but the frown did not reach his eyes.

“You need to practice that glare a bit, Lex. It’s not nearly scary enough.” she quipped in response.

“I’ll work on it.”

The bell chimed signaling their arrival at her floor.

“See you tomorrow morning, we’ll meet in the lobby?” she said turning to face him. He marveled at just how small she was, standing in her bare feet, with her hair wet around her face.

“Eight o’clock, in the lobby.”

As if reading his mind, she stood up on her tip toes to kiss his cheek and slipped out of the elevator. Lex blinked. That was unexpected. The Chloe he remembered from Smallville had been as into personal space as he was. He wondered what else the years had changed about her.

‘This trip is going to be more interesting than I thought.’ he mused as the elevator doors slid closed.

End Chapter One.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar
    NBG, you already know that I love this whole concept. The banter was intelligent with just the right amount of flirting :biggrin:

I know I should be begging for FM update, but I need more--PLEASE?
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

NS Full Member
    Lex, Chloe...lots and lots of history. Sounds promising.

Gimme more now!...um I mean....Update soon :biggrin:

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    I love this more please. I love when Chloe is mature and successful against Lex.

Hope :chlexsign2:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

I loved it. Scary if this is what you crank out when you aren't really trying. I love their conversation, so like old friends would be, easy going, not too forward. I can't wait for an update. And for Family Matters too.

GREAT WORK!!! :chlexsign1:

Miss Innocent-Or? 2005 Senior Member ColumbiaBlue's Avatar
    A new NBG story!!! Yaaaaay!!! :yay2: :yay2: :yay2: I love it so far and I can't wait for more!!!

~Manda

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar
    oooooh this is an awesome beginning!!!

BB

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    I'm really enjoying this new story!! Thank you for making Chloe be so self confident!! I could really picture her like this in six years!! And Lex of course is yummy!! :biggrin: Can't wait for more!! :yay2: :chlexsign4: :yay2:

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar
    :biggrin: Damn Fine!!!! Damn fine indeed!!! :chlexsign1:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information