+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle in the clouds ( PG-13) upd 07/01/09

Castle in the clouds ( PG-13) upd 07/01/09

REPOSTED!! BIG THANK YOU TO b4 Dawn 101 who betaed it

A.N Hi! Here is another Chlex story by me!
    This one is based on one of my favorite childhood book a " Blue Castle " by Lucy Maud Montgomery.
    If you haven't read it you definitely should

Disclaimer: I don't own " Smallville", " Blue Castle" or it characters

Rating- PG-13

Summary: This story is completely AU. It's beginning of XX century, and Chloe is living with her aunt Nell. After receiving devastating news she decided to change her life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Chill, get up!Breakfast is waiting!" A bossy voice sounded behind closed doors.

Chloe Sullivan opened her eyes with groan. Today was that Day. The one day in the whole year she hated with passion.

18 August, her birthday.

She was exactly 24 and still single. And there was no chance at all that her beloved family would let her forget that fact.

Chloe stood up and went to the mirror. The view wasn't exactly unpleasant: she was short, and maybe a little to round in some places. Her blond hair was ruffled in every possible direction, as usual, but, honestly speaking, she didn' t look that bad.

'Yes I do', she thought. 'My only good features are my eyes.'

True, they were an amazing green. But nobody could see it thanks to mustard color of her dress a gift from her uncle, who hadn't been able to sell that piece of clothing to anyone.

"Chill!" Her aunt's voice echoed through the corridors once more.

Chloe cringed she hated that nickname. Her family had been using it for years because of her tendency to get the flu every winter. She hadn't found it funny back then, either.

Chloe liked her birth name, Chloe Elizabeth. Her father had chosen it, but she couldn't remember if anyone had used it after his death.

"Chill, my child!" Her Aunt Nell appeared in her room without knocking.

Chloe was certain that the lady had never knocked in her life.

"Come quickly! Lana is here; she's brought some magazines for you to look at."

'And I thought it couldn't get any worse' Chloe groaned but went downstairs obediently.

She'd never disagree with any member of her family. It was simply pointless.

But she had her secret harbor, where nobody could hurt her. It was her Castle, with her friends, with her Prince Charming. Nobody has ever known about her secret obsession, but it saved her sanity whenever she needed itmost.

But that day, standing in their dinning room and watching Lana, Chloe panicked. She couldn't find her Castle.

'Face it Chloe, you're twentyfour now. It's too late to find a husband, and you'll end your days here, in this house with Aunt Nell and her cat, as a spinster.'

Seeing Lana didn't help Chloe either. Lana Lang, her cousin and golden child of whole family, was everything Chloe could never dream to be: skinny, dark haired always straight and in place wearing a pink fashionable dress and a big fat ring on her finger.

The family always reminded Chloe, "Lana was only 20 when Clark proposed!"

Golden girl, indeed.

That may be true, but I'd prefer being single forever than marry Clark ' bully' Kent!

True to her word, Chloe had given up her dreams about having a husband and a child a family of her own. But deep down in her heart, she always treasured that small spark of hope that there was someone out there for her.

"Chill! How nice to see you! It's you're birthday, right? Twenty four!" Lana exclaimed. "I can't even imagine being that age!" She laughed.

"Well, I' m going to leave these bridal magazines for you; maybe you could choose a wedding dress for yourself. That way, when your big day comes, you'll already have it!"

"Oh how nice of you, Lana my dear," Aunt Nell gushed.

She continued to talk with Lana while Chloe tried to remember the reasons to not to kill her relatives.

"Oh! I forgot! You'll have to give them back to the library today; I only borrowed them for week!"Lana shrugged. " Bye Auntie! Bye Chill! I'll see you two at the Kent's for dinner on Wednesday," she waved to them as she stepped out the door.

"Goodbye, dear! We can't wait for the dinner, and thank you for the magazines!" Aunt Nell smiled at her favorite niece.

' Well, that explains everything. Our " Miss Perfect" was too lazy to go to town herself!'
    Chloe thought. 'Oh well, it's not that bad. At least I'll be able to go to library without the usual fuss.' Chloe tried to look on the bright side and smiled to herself. Reading and writing stories were some of the ways she escaped her cruel family and the pain they inflicted.

'And maybe I'll finally go to visit Dr. Flint to ask him about these chest pains.'

The aches had first appeared two months ago, but the attacks were getting stronger as of late. She didn't tell any of her aunts or uncles about it, correctly assuming that their probing questions and general lack of sympathywould be worse than leaving them clueless.

'Yes, I'll go to the doctor, '
    she decided. 'I still have some money that Dad left me. It's not much, but I can afford the visit. Nobody will have to know.'

-------------------------------------------------

Chloe was sitting in the chair, feeling unsure under the doctor's gaze.

He'd listened about her symptoms, examined her, and was now scribbling furiously on a pad of paper.

"I'm sorry, Doctor," his secretary said, opening the door a crack. "There is urgent call for you."

"My apologies, Miss Sullivan, this will take me but a minute." Dr. Flint smiled at her.

"Of course." Chloe settled into the hard chair as comfortably as possible.

She had been watching the clock since the doctor's departure, and, with each passing minute, her confidence grew smaller.

'Even my doctor... ' she thought with resignation after half an hour of pointless waiting.

Just then the doors opened.

"Oh dear. You're still here," a nurse said, entering the room.

"Yes, but I was just going." Chloe stood, trying to stay calm. "Dr. Flint forgot about me."

"Oh, I'm so sorry! The doctor ran off about a half hour ago. His daughter was in a serious accident, and he needs to be with her."

"I understand," Chloe reassured the woman, feeling slightly better. " I'll just come another time."

'Well, at least Dr. Flint had a good explanation for his behavior. My family, on the other hand..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chloe couldn't believe her own bad luck. She was already late for dinner, and with the every passing minute, her aunt would become angrier. That anger was usually only resolved by complaining to Chloe about everything she had ever done wrong.

She had no other choice than to go through the dreaded shortcut, Lover’s Alley.

Chloe sighted and picked up her pace, trying to get through it without actually running. Or running into people.

There were a lot of happy couples walking together, holding hands, or kissing. Chloe tried to not to look at them. After all, jealousy was a sin.

There were groups of girls too, wearing bright dresses and whispering secrets to each other. Chloe smiled at them. A long time ago, when she had been at school, she'd had a friend like that. But Lois had been a craftsman daughter, so there'd been no way that Lang's family would have allowed their friendship to continue. Chloe still missed her only real friend, but only when she allowed herself the luxury of self-pity.

She was almost at the end of the alley when she spotted him. The “devil himself,” as people called him.

He was lying on the ground, some strange tools in his hands, trying to fix his old black car. He smiled at Chloe when she passed him, and she fought hard not to blush.

Ever since she had seen this man for the first time, almost two years ago, the Prince in her Castle had changed his appearance into tall, strong man with a blue-gray piercing gaze, an irresistible grin and a completely bald head.

Oh, she heard every story about him, but she refused to believe in them. In her mind, nobody with a face like that could be the spawn of Satan. Alex Diffidere had come to Smallville three years ago, and since then, he'd become favorite gossip theme for the whole town. Nobody knew much about him; some said that he lived in that old house on the island in the middle of the Smallville River, but they were only rumors.

If anything Chloe envied him his freedom--he did whatever he wanted to. There was no noisy family around to control him.

That's a real life, she thought with envy, hurrying towards the home. The one thing on her mind was Alex’s face, especially that adorable scar she noticed on his upper lip.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Chloe arrived, her aunt was already turning red with impatience and anger.

Even now two days later, on Monday morning, Nell refused to speak with her niece, punishing Chloe for her “ungrateful and childish" behavior. Aunt Nell always acted like this when she felt offended in any way. She just sat in her chair by the fireplace, contemplating her injured majesty and doing nothing else, so when the post arrived it was Chloe who had to pick it up.

They hardly ever received letters, so she was surprised to see a small white envelope addressed to “Miss Chloe Sullivan” next to her aunt’s papers. Chloe quickly hid it away in her skirts like a treasure, not knowing who it was from but excited just by having it.

She gave the newspaper to her aunt and started breakfast. When they were finished, Nell read her daily while Chloe watched the clock. She wasn't allowed to get up from the table before quarter to nine, so she had to spent another four minutes there, curiosity eating her alive.

She glanced at an article on the front page. There it was again. Every Monday, an article was printed about the missing heir of the Luthor fortune. It had been almost six years since his disappearance, and everyone in the country knew this story by heart. Nevertheless, Chloe skimmed through it out of boredom.

" ... engagement... Miss Helen ... beautiful... disappeared... age 21... desperate father... nobody knows... reward..."
    The minute hand of the clock slid over the nine, signaling that Chloe was free to go.

"I'll be in my room." She left without waiting for an answer from Nell

Once inside the room she quickly opened her letter. It was from doctor Flint! He hadn't forgotten about her! She smiled at that and started to read.

Dear Miss Sulivan,

I'm sorry to tell you that you're suffering for very rare heart disease.

Unfortunately it's an incurable and fatal illness...

After reading that, the words became blurry.

You have no longer then eight months of living ahead, although you may die anytime.

To avoid that, you are not to overwork yourself, and you should take great care about your health.

While this illness can't be cured, the medicine I have sent you should stop the ache you feel.

Sincerely, Dr. Flint.

Chloe dropped the letter to the floor.

She was dying.

Before she could even live, she was going to die.

Tears began flowing from her eyes

That is so unfair!! Why, God? Why me?!

She threw herself on the bed, her sobbing muffled by the pillows.

Chloe couldn't tell how long she cried, but she founded herself utterly thankful for her aunt's grumpiness. It helped her to avoid a lot of uncomfortable questions.

She watched herself in the mirror, a reflection with red, puffy eyes and tangled blonde hair. "Please, God, let me live for real before I die," she whispered, lifting her eyes to look towards heaven. All she saw was the ceiling, and her hope fell. She felt as though her prayer would never reach heaven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nell Lang was more nervous with every step they took on their way to the Kent's farm.

She glanced at her companion. Chloe looked the same, but it was not her appearance her aunt was worried about.

Nell couldn't really understand what exactly had happened, but for the past two days, her niece had changed her behavior completely.

On the Monday she had declared that she would not respond to "Chill" ever again. She'd refused to get up at 8 o’clock on Tuesday morning and had spent whole afternoon reading, even when Nell had told her to stop wasting her time. She hadn't even tried to apologize for her behavior. But the worst of all had taken place earlier this morning, Nell had caught her sliding down the banister, not the least embarrassed or ashamed.

Approaching the Kent farm, Nell prayed that Chloe would behave herself and not embarrass the Lang family.

Meanwhile, Chloe was walking with a spring in her step, in very good mood. After the initial shock had passed, she'd discovered that being so close to death had made her feel free. She'd spent past two days doing the opposite of she'd been supposed to do. And it'd felt divine.

So now, not worrying about consequences, she wanted to enjoy the dinner and her newfound freedom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was typical Lang-Kent gathering, the one Chloe used to hate with passion. Usually she'd hidden herself in her Castle, but today she decided to take part in the discussion, especially because they were talking about Lois.

The whole town knew the story. Three years ago, Lois had been working at the hotel in Metropolis, but after a year, she came back. Nobody had known why. Six months later everyone knew she'd given a birth to a boy. She had never told who the father was, and people were too afraid of her father to ask him. The boy had lived only six months, and since his death, Lois had fallen ill herself.

The doctor said that she would die this winter.

"It's God's punishment," Jacob Lang announced. "She sinned, and now she's paying for it!"

"You’re right, Jacob," Jonathan Kent agreed. "To think that she came back here with..."

His wife stopped him, pointing at two young ladies at the table. "Jonathan, Lana and Chill shouldn’t hear about this. They are too young and innocent."

"She didn't deserve it," Chloe said, surprising everybody except Nell, who paled at the sound of her niece’s voice. "She only had a baby without being married. I don't think that God would be so cruel to punish her because of bringing such an innocent creature to this world"

"And what do you now about it?" Benjamin, Lana's father asked. "Young ladies shouldn't even think about things like that!"

"I know because, as you've kindly reminded me earlier, I'm 24 years old!" Chloe answered sharply. “Besides, isn't our God kind to His children? Slow to anger and abounding in love?" She finished loudly, scraping the legs of her chair against the wooden floor as she stood.

"Yes, he is" Jacob agreed quietly, embarrassed that he had been proven wrong.

Mildred, Jacob's sister decided to stop Chloe before she would speak again. "Chill, dear, you are too fatty for a girl. You'll never find a husband looking like that. Don't you know any diets?" Mildred smiled cruelly. Usually, her hurled insults were enough to make Chloe face red with embarrassment

"No," Chloe answered sarcastically, raising her voice, “but I do know a place where they can take care of your bushy brows. By the way, my name is CHLOE!" She slammed her hands on the table, causing all the plates to quiver.

Soup slopped out of Lana’s bowl and onto her lap. She screeched and ran to the bathroom to rinse it out. Chloe smiled to herself, pleased with the carnage.

Martha decided that it was high time for desert. The family was eerily silent for a while, and even when they began talking, Chloe’s outburst was carefully avoided. For a while, they only talked about Clark and Lana's marriage, so Chloe busied herself with the tasty cheesecake. The conversation topic changed, and it caught her attention.

"I can’t believe he's allowed to walking free on the streets! He's a criminal and should be in prison," Jonathan started his traditional tirade.

"You're right," Lana quickly followed his lead. "If I ever met him in the dark alley, I... , oh it's too scary to think about…" She made a frightened face and Clark smiled comfortingly at her.

"And that name! Diffidere? Who’s ever heard of that?" Jacob added.

"It's just the same as Lang, Kent, or Sullivan" Chloe said earning some wary looks. “Besides, I've never heard about any crime he's committed, so he can't be a criminal."

"He's a criminal!" Jonathan replied forcefully.

“How?” Chloe challenged.

"He looks like felon, and he's close with Lane and his daughter..." Jonathan spat the words out of his mouth like they were a bitter medicine.

" Jonathan!" Martha stopped him. "We all agree with you, he’s a criminal." She gave Chloe a stern look.

"Only if being bald and talking to people are enough to make somebody lawbreaker." Chloe refused to give up

She stood once more, and everyone around the table tensed. She smiled at Martha, "Thank you for delicious meal, but I'm going now. Goodbye, Mr. Kent. Feel free to report anyone with hair loss to the nearest police station." Chloe walked out of the door with her head held high, leaving the shocked family behind.

"I think it's a beginning of nasty flu" Nell finally said after a long and awkward silence.

"Probably crazy like her father," Benjamin muttered.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chloe had been laughing since she'd closed the door behind her.
    The look on their faces, it was priceless! I need to cause trouble more often!

"Good evening, Miss."

Chloe quickly turned around and smiled. "Oh! Good evening, Mr. Lane” The man continued walking, but she stopped him. "Mr. Lane, how’s Lois?" she asked.

Sam felt his temper rising at the mention of his daughter, but the look in the girl’s eyes was one of compassion.

"She's not well, Miss. She can't even get up from bed," he said, sadness etched into his voice. “She’s not had company in ages.”

"She's alone all day?" Chloe asked with disbelief.

"Yes, none of her old friends visit anymore. I had to throw out the last housekeeper--she was sloppy and unkind to my little girl." Sam shook his head. “I can afford to pay a good, honest woman to take care of Lois, but nobody in this town wants to work for us," he finished angrily.

“I’m very sorry to hear that, Mr. Lane.”

"I have to go Miss, Lois is waiting for me. I’ll tell her that you asked about her. She'll be glad. Lois has always liked you," Sam said.

Chloe felt a pang of shame. She liked Lois too, and now, thinking about her lonely friend, she made up her mind. "Mr. Lane, would you employ me?"

What do you think about that?????
    Please leave me your comment
    Beta-ed by: b4 Dawn 101 xD
    Last edited by carly; 7th January 2009 at 18:58.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Castle in the clouds ( PG-13)

Awesome beginning! And I'm so glad that you have decided to post your story here

Can't wait for more!
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

I love this!!!! Plus I absolutly adore LM Montgomery and love her story. I love how you have put SV's characters into this story...Update soon!

The Masked Phantomess Senior Member Augustine86's Avatar

I totally liked it! A good, AU story that accomodates all the characters... it sounds awesome so far! Please continue soon.

Castle in the clouds ( PG-13)

REpOSTED

A.N. Thanks for your feedback! I love you guys!

"That girl is mental! She should have been locked up long ago!" Benjamin declared.

"How could you let her go?" Jacob accused Nell. "You should have stopped her!"

Nell started sobbing. "I tried, but she refused!"

"It'll ruin our family name forever!" Mildred announced.

"I can't believe it. Chill was always such a good girl" Susan Lang took out her handkerchief to blow her nose noisily.

"She has always been crazy!" Benjamin slammed his fist onto the table.

"I'll contact a doctor. There has to be some medicine for this lunacy," Jacob said.

"But for now, we must face it with calm and dignity, like true Langs!" Mildred said forcefully.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chloe was simply happy. She was heading to her new home: where she was needed, where her friend was waiting.

"Chloe!" Lois smiled in greeting.

Chloe gasped when she saw her. She had remembered beautiful bouncing girl, but there, lying on the bed, was only a shadow of the Lois she knew.

"Lois," Chloe took one of girl's fragile hands, "I've missed you!"

"I can't believe that you’re here." Lois smiled. "When Dad told me that you were coming, I thought that he was joking!"

Chloe hugged her carefully. "No, he wasn't. I'm staying with you as long as I’m needed."

Lois closed her eyes and nodded. "Thank you, Chloe."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chloe was standing in the middle of the garden, collecting fresh flowers. Ever since she had moved in with Lanes, she made sure that the house was filled with flowers. Lois loved them, and they made house brighter.

Chloe stretched her muscles; they were rather sore from all the work she had done. She didn't mind it, though. It was nice to do something other than listening to Nell’s constant complaining or fighting the urge to kill her family. Yes, Chloe liked her job a lot.

"Good evening, Miss Sullivan." A deep voice sounded behind her.

Another benefit of her work: finally, she was able to talk with him, to know him. Chloe felt the blush sneaking on her cheeks. "Hello Alex," she answered. Chloe remembered from their very first meeting that he'd insisted to be called that, claiming that he hated the “Mr.” term. Chloe was more than happy to oblige.

"How are you doing?” he asked. “I hope that you aren’t overworking yourself."

“No, of course not. I'm fine," she answered. "In fact, I was just musing about how nice it is to finally do something for someone!" Chloe grinned.

"It's not just something--you’re the best that could happen to Lois right now."

Chloe face lit up at this. "No, taking care of her is the best thing that has ever happened to me! It's wonderful to be needed, you know?"

Alex looked her straight in eyes, pondering what she had said. "I guess you’re right," he said. His eyes widened just a bit, and his lips turned down slightly.

"Will you stay for dinner?" Chloe asked, not knowing what had brought that sad look onto his face.

Alex shook his head. "Not today." He looked away from her and towards the small cottage.

"Are you all right? Did I say something…?" Chloe asked, unsure.

"No, it's just...you made me realize that nobody has ever needed me like that," he explained before he could stop himself. Alex tried to gloss it over by taking her hand and kissing it. "Goodbye, Miss Sullivan." Alex left without another word.

Chloe watched him leave. No one’s ever opened up to me before… She didn't know what had happened, but she suddenly felt a strange, warm feeling deep inside. "Goodbye Alex" she whispered before taking the path back to the house.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"You’re looking better," Chloe said, rearranging pillows. "I'm sure you'll recover soon"

"I'm not feeling better.” Lois smiled sadly. "But it's alright. I miss my little baby, and it will be so much easier for everyone when I'm gone."

"Don't say that!" Chloe sat at the bed. "I can't imagine what I'll do without you!"

"Oh Chloe, you'll be fine, I'm positive of that. You'll still find your prince and your castle."

"You still remember that?!" Chloe gasped.

"Of course; it was our secret." Lois face fell a little, and her eyes focused on thin air, as if she were looking at something that wasn’t really there. "At least I met my prince."

"And he broke your heart," Chloe said bitterly. She hated that unknown man for what he had done to her friend.

"You’re right in some ways,” Lois said, sighing. “But it's more complicated than that, Chloe… I was happy--we were happy…and so much in love."

"Then what happened?" Chloe asked

"Life, fate...Oliver was very rich, and... I don't know. He had so many secrets that I, a small-town girl, wasn't able to understand. We quarreled about them, and one day he said he had to leave..."

"And he's never come back for you or your baby," Chloe finished.

"But he never promised me that he would. He didn't know about the baby either," Lois said gently. "You see, Chloe, I'm telling you right now that I don't have any regrets. I took a risk and burnt myself, but I've felt it--I’ve felt love, even if just for a while. It's better than to live your life as an empty shell."

Chloe bit her lip, drawing blood.

"Don't be sad," Lois said. "I didn't tell you this to upset you, but to teach you that love is about taking risks. It won't always end with ‘happily ever after,’ but it's always worth it to try."

Chloe tried to smile.

"You see, that's better. I swear, you can cure a broken heart with that smile!" Lois watched her friend for awhile. "And I think I know a person who really needs that kind of treatment," she whispered to herself.

I know it was short, but still please tell me what you think
    Last edited by carly; 14th September 2008 at 08:25.

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: Castle in the clouds ( PG-13) upd 08/05/07

This is such an interesting story! I'm worried about what Nell and the other Langs will try to do to Chloe--can they get her commited?

And Lois' story is quite sad--her baby dies and the man she loved never even knew that she was going to have his child. Will Oliver come back for Lois?

And Lois seems to realize that Alex needs Chloe--is she going to try and play matchmaker?

Update soon
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Ok- how much will you be sticking to the original book-or will you not tell. Obiviously there are some changes already but will the general plotline still remain?
    Anyway I love the adaptation and if there is anyonw who has not yet managed to read the book- here is the link to the online version
    http://www.gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200951.txt Amazing book!

The Masked Phantomess Senior Member Augustine86's Avatar

I like this Lois. Much more real and all-around nice... And Chloe's syness is just so endearing!

The Langs are, of course, perfectly done as well.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar

That was a great update.
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Castle in the clouds ( PG-13) upd 08/05/07

REPOSTED

A.N. You see, it's working! You leave me your comments, and they make me work harder

THANK YOU to all of you who did it

And answering your questions, I'll try to stick with original plot but I have to make some changes to adapt it for Chlex and Smallville,

The sky was dark when Chloe made her way through the streets. Under normal circumstances, nothing would have made her go outside with the weather like that, but Lois had been coughing very badly since morning, and there hadn't been anybody else to get medicine for her.

Chloe wrapped her cloak tightly around herself. The wind was getting stronger with every minute; she could barely walk against it when she felt the first drops of the water falling from the clouds.

Great, what now? I should wait for this to pass, but Lois is all alone! I have to go! I don't think it will kill me… Chloe chuckled a little; she found it strangely humorous all of sudden. She continued her walk when the sound of an approaching car stopped her.

"Miss Sullivan!" Alex stopped the car and Chloe smiled at him "Get in here; you could catch a cold!"

Chloe just laughed and climbed into the car. "Thank you, Alex! I don't know what I would do if you didn't show up!"

"I was looking for you," Alex said.

Chloe looked at him surprised. "Why?" she asked

"I went to see Lois, and she told me that you went to the town. She was really worried about you out in this storm, as was I. It’s not smart to go out at a time like this!" Alex tried to drive in the heavy rain, but it was impossible to see anything through the dense curtain of water. "I'm sorry, but it seems that we have to wait till it passes."

Chloe was still shocked by his previous statement.

He was worried about me! Nobody ever truly cared about her well-being before, so the sensation shocked Chloe to her core.

“It's fine. At least it's dry here," she said. After a minute, she gasped. "Lois! I have to go; she's alone!"

"It's alright, Sam came home early today," Alex said, calming her.

They sat in silence for couple of minutes before Chloe suddenly laughed.

"You know, when I was small, I used to love standing in the rain. My dad was always telling me that I wasn't allowed, but then he’d join me and we’d dance and splash in the puddles…" Chloe stopped abruptly. "I'm sorry, I don't know why I’m telling you this."

"It's fine. You must really miss him," Alex noticed. "Lois said that he died when you're a child."

"Yes, I was five. My aunt took me in, and I've been living with her ever since."

"You've never left Smallville?" Alex asked.

"Yes... no...I mean, physically, never. But when I read about some different place, I always imagine that I'm actually there--" Chloe found herself blushing. "I'm sorry; small talk was never my strong side."

"I think you pretty good at it," Alex smiled. "It seems that you have a lot of time for you travels."

Chloe smiles sadly at that "The rest of my life."

Alex noticed it and asked trying to change a subject. "So, you know Lois from school?"

"We were friends back then, well, honestly, she was my only friend." Chloe watched the rain absentmindedly.

"I've always thought that in small towns like this one, everyone would be friends," Alex said, then laughed at his incorrect assumption.

"Almost. You see, I was different then the rest of them, some kind of freak who loved books and wasn't very communicative with others. Being shy is a curse at school." Chloe shook her head. "I've always thought that if I was pretty like my cousin, then everyone would like me, accept me.”

'Way to go girl! God, how can I let myself babbling like that?! He must think I'm crazy!'

"You know Chloe, if you can't be yourself with somebody, that only means that this person is not worthy to be your friend," Alex said gently to the girl sitting next to him.

"I know... but it still hurts when you're the only one not invited to birthday parties, or when you don't have anyone to invite to your own!" Chloe blurted the words straight from her heart.

"I'll come to your party if you invite me," Alex smiled. He touched her hand, and Chloe shivered at the sensation. "You’re cold! I'm sorry, I should have thought about it earlier." Alex reached into the back seat and handed her a jacket. "It's not much, but it should help," he said to her.

She hadn’t shivered because she was cold, it but Chloe buried her face in the fabric and smiled. It smelled like him, that great, incomparable smell she had learned to recognize. Chloe watched his hands when he fastened it around her. She felt safe and cared for, just happy to sit in the car with him with the rain outside.

'He didn't laugh at me! Funny, but I think he really understands me. He knows what I'm talking about.'

"I think we can drive again now; the rain has almost stopped." Alex started the car.

Chloe watched him, not understanding a single word he spoke but relishing the musical sound of his voice.

I love him, she realized. I love him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Beta-ed by: b4 Dawn 101 xD
    You read it???

Good, now tell me what you think!
    Last edited by carly; 14th September 2008 at 08:29.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information