+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival, NC-17, - Aug. 2, 2009 - Epilogue added

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!

Survival, NC-17, - Aug. 2, 2009 - Epilogue added

Survival
    NC-17 Fanfiction
    Post-Episode for Covenant (Season 3 Finale)
    SPOILER WARNING: Spoilers abound, up to the current episode in U.S./Canadian release. Possible AU, but I won't know how far off-track I'm going until the fall, Season 4 premiere.

Disclaimer: Smallville, the characters therein, and all affiliated copyrighted materials are owned by the WB. This is a work of fanfiction not intended for profit or infringement, only for the pleasure of fans of the series.

Distribution: I have posted these stories and have control of them on this site. I don't want them to be posted anywhere else unless I'm the one posting them. Please take down my stories if you have them posted on another archive site. I understand I can't stop you from doing this but I hope by asking politely you'll respect my work and my wishes. If anyone has more comfort and convenience saving the text of a story to their own computer, I have no problem with that.

A/N: As a long-time lurker I'm finally possessed of what I think may be a good plot to follow to the end. Hopefully it pans out and helps me work out some of my lingering dissatisfaction with the underuse of Chloe, Lex and what is likely the most interesting ship possibility on Smallville. I've attempted to include any clues about next season that I've heard, like Chloe's new hair colour. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Chapter 1

The explosion ripped through her mind every moment, whether she had indulged in the highest dosage of the ineffective sleeping pills prescribed by a doctor or in the largest amount of strong coffee she dared to drink. It haunted her and shook through her limbs at strange moments of the day, destroying her concentration and her sanity. She was alone, forced to wait meekly until he could come to her. The danger had not passed over either of them, and together they were a larger target than they were as individuals.

Chloe Sullivan fingered her newly dyed hair as she thought with some irony that Lex might prefer it to her natural colour even if it didn’t come with double D breasts. The medium brown tone covered her previously golden locks but allowed some of the lightness underneath to warm its tones. It wouldn’t pass close inspection but it gave her a small advantage when the people looking for her hesitated over it. Her skin, usually pale, was a light tan from her time lounging on the beach. The doctor’s advice again and Lex had insisted upon it. He could offer her little in the way of comfort, but his money was evident in every day of her life now.

With one final look into the ridiculously large mirror she left the bathroom and climbed onto the equally ridiculously large bed. She hadn’t bothered to ask why all the furniture was almost too oversized to be used, but assumed it had something to do with the style of the baroque pieces. Stretching out, she arched her neck to look out the french doors to the beach. The Bahamas were beautiful, and she would have reveled in being there under other circumstances.

Chloe felt tears well up and pushed them back, knowing they could easily flow for days if she gave in. If she thought about her circumstances too much she was as susceptible to depression as any other teenager, and now that she was alone she had a responsibility to pull herself together.

One of Lex’s guards passed in front of the doors and she saw him glance into her room without acknowledging her. In a fit of pique she pushed herself up on her elbows and rolled out of his view, knowing he merely wanted to assure himself she was on the premises. Like everyone else in this gilded cage he would never presume to ask about her emotional well-being. The most ridiculous thing about the tropical escape was that she could have anything she wanted but nothing that she needed. Crying alone had lost its appeal and there were no friendly shoulders anywhere nearby.

A month ago she had felt a sense of victory as Lionel Luthor was denied bail in a Metropolis courtroom. With Lex as her ally and her father supporting her unfailingly she had dared to feel hope that her time as Lionel’s victim was over. The news of his illness, she shamefully reflected, had been a blessing and additional encouragement to speak against him despite his power.

Her victory only lasted four hours. FBI agents drove Chloe and her father for three hours and 45 minutes, until they reached the elegant house that would be theirs until Lionel’s trial was over. She remembered her father’s pleased amazement that it was so large and expensive, and his jokes about a “cardboard box condo” because of government cut backs. He had insisted on carrying her overstuffed suitcases into the house, and taking a walk around the garden while Chloe laughingly accused him of scaring the birds with his exclamations. Her lips curved in a fond smile: her good-natured father could make any situation seem like a grand adventure.

A choked sob escaped her as the explosion recurred in front of her eyes. The door had just latched behind them after they entered the house when it shook the foundation and seemingly dissolved the floor underneath them and the ceiling above their heads. From her place just inside the door Chloe had been thrown back out into the street, screaming unknowingly in agony. She had been the lucky one.

Her father’s funeral had been seven days after that, attended only by Lex Luthor. She had been in the hospital for the better part of the last month, recovering from a broken arm, minor burns and severe bruising on most of her body. Doctors had called it an odd miracle that she had lived, but she was beginning to consider it a curse. She was alone save a young billionaire who wanted her help to put his father in prison. Her mother was uninterested, her father had been killed because she couldn’t squelch her curiosity and bitter ambition, and it was too dangerous to contact any of her family members in case they became targets of Lionel’s frustrated revenge on her.

Lex called her once a week on a secure line. Still in Smallville, he had barely survived himself after being poisoned, but at least Lionel was attempting to keep his efforts to cause his eldest son’s demise low-key. She wouldn’t receive the same treatment if the magnificent bastard found out where she was.

Suddenly exhausted, Chloe sighed and buried her head into the plush counterpane of the bed. Surrounded by luxuries but isolated from everything she was, the teenager cried until she fell asleep.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

With a whirr of turning gears the camera swiveled and the lens zoomed in on the sleeping girl. Her shuddering breaths continued long after her limbs went slack, and there was obvious tension in her spine. A practiced eye noticed her weight loss, robbing what little extra body mass she had possessed from her small frame.

Eddie Haring had worked for the younger Mr. Luthor since his exile to Smallville, and he knew Chloe Sullivan from her various spectacular appearances at Luthor manor. When he had been promoted to head of security for this rented vacation home he had been surprised to find out his main concern would be the young woman who seemed to have such an incidental relationship to his employer. Sullenly assuming she had bowed to greed and empty flattery, he had cynically thought Miss Sullivan had become Lex Luthor’s mistress.

He had been ashamed to hear the story of her injuries and the loss of her father at the senior Mr. Luthor’s hands and had promised his employer she would be well taken care of. The frantic man had apparently made the long plane ride with the girl and a medical staff after bundling her from the hospital, then flown back to Smallville for a full work day all within a single night.

If Eddie had any lingering suspicions about how overprotective Lex Luthor had been over her security, he pushed them aside. The rich really did live differently, and as far as he knew there was nowhere else for the girl to go. The FBI had already failed her. Eddie had no intention of doing anything of the sort.

He dialed the telephone with one eye still on the video feed from Chloe’s bedroom.

“Lex Luthor.”

Eddie grimaced at the nervous feeling of dealing with his exacting employer, but tried to ignore it as he gave his encoded message. “Sir, I think your investment here might need some extra assistance. Perhaps another accountant might be necessary to ensure your success.”

Silence.

Lex Luthor worriedly ran his left hand over his bald head. Chloe was ill, grieving and isolated, and the most he could offer was a short telephone call once a week. His head staff member was raising the alarm and requesting another doctor to help her.

“I understand. I’ll make sure someone is available. He should arrive by this time tomorrow,” he replied.

Hurriedly, Lex looked at the clock in his study. Calculating his duties at the plant, he should be able to board the helicopter by three o’clock.

“Thank you, sir. Should I pass the news along to the other parties?” Eddie asked.

Lex sighed audibly, and Eddie found himself shocked to hear the young man in such obvious distress.

“That won’t be necessary, Mr. Haring, but thank you for informing me of the situation.”

Eddie grinned. “My pleasure, sir, this investment is obviously one of a kind.”

Lex nodded in agreement but said only, “I’ll be in touch. Good-bye.”

As he put down the receiver, Lex Luthor winced as the worry of his tenuous position hit him once more. He was the only thing that stood between a beautiful, brilliant young woman and his father’s wrath, wrath she had incurred in order to help him. He had failed Gabe, but was determined not to do the same with his daughter.

Hold on Chloe, I’ll be there soon, he thought as he picked up the telephone.

End Chapter 1 - Survival
    Last edited by skauble; 3rd August 2009 at 01:24. Reason: title change

Members
    Great start!

Can't wait for more. I'll add this one on my list of must read :biggrin:

Diana

Administrator Senior Member Julie's Avatar
    Please add in a rating in the topic title or topic description. I suggest you go take a look at the forum rules to make sure you don't break any other rules in the future.
    Be sure to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for latest updates and news!

awww poor Chloe. i hope Lex makes her feel better.

this is a wonderful story so far.

please be sure to update soon!

LarkLuthor
    Just a Guest!
    Interesting. Looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Lark

NS Senior Member Senior Member Béatrice's Avatar
    What an interesting beginning! I'm waiting gor more soon. :biggrin:

Poor Chloe. That must be a hard situation she has to undergo.

:chlexsign3:

Members
    Wow.
    More ?

The monosyllabic lurker.

NS Full Member
    Great way to delurk. More soon please.

siwla
    Just a Guest!
    Welcome, welcome! :wave:
    This is really cool, I hope we can have more soon!

siwla

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    Poor, poor Chloe!! I feel so sorry for her!! What she really needs is a friend, someone who she can cry on and tell her troubles to!! I hope Lex will be able to be with her soon!! Please upda|e quickly, I really enjoyed the excellent beginning to your story!! :yay: :chlexsign4: :yay:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information