+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival, NC-17, - Aug. 2, 2009 - Epilogue added

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!
    Survival - NC-17
    NC-17 Fanfiction
    Post-Episode for Covenant (Season 3 Finale)
    SPOILER WARNING: Spoilers abound, up to the current episode in U.S./Canadian release. Possible AU, but I won't know how far off-track I'm going until the fall, Season 4 premiere.

Disclaimer: Smallville, the characters therein, and all affiliated copyrighted materials are owned by the WB. This is a work of fanfiction not intended for profit or infringement, only for the pleasure of fans of the series.

A/N: Rating still stands, for obvious reasons in this chapter. This is also the chapter that inspired my new signature.

Chapter 14

Lex imagined the sweat and heat in their bedroom hanging in the air around them, like blurring heat rising off a desert blacktop.

He focused on a single bead of sweat. Quivering on Chloe’s shoulder with every synchronized breath they took, the tiny droplet would start to stretch and nearly roll off the curve of her body before reforming on the same spot. Indrawn breaths caused the tenuous beginning of a fall, exhales resettling it.

He was enervated, caught up and balls and elbows deep in her body. Innumerable tiny bits of moisture danced on his own skin, at turns a sensation that was almost overwhelming or unrecognizable amongst the others. He seemed to be unable to work all his five senses at the same time: If he licked her skin or kissed her mouth he couldn’t savour her hands wrapped over his back. If he concentrated on picking up the scent of her perfume he could no longer hear the delicious moans she let slip out. Looking at her was dizzying, and a fuzzy halo of blurred vision made him blind to everything except Chloe.

He had been discomfited to realize his primary feeling after returning from the cemetery was arousal. It didn’t seem right to go directly from the cemetery to their bedroom to have sex, even loving sex with his wife. Chloe had been quiet, thoughtful, and he had wanted to give her time to wind down from the visit. Lex had been in his study for less than a minute when she entered the room, her quick strides alarming him. He had pushed his chair back to stand, but she had been on his lap and pressing against him too quickly. There was no grief or thought in the posture of her body, and the sexual instinct he was feeling was vindicated by her own.

They had gone upstairs from his study, groping dangerously and clinging to each other on the spiral staircase, hands in places that had forced any servants they passed to turn their faces away. There was no real awareness of circumstance until they were naked on the bed, joined almost abruptly.

Chloe had been almost shocked to feel him hard inside her, her thought process no more concrete than a need to be touching him. She was deeply, profoundly alive and making love to her husband was the only thing real enough to manifest that.

She had thought there was nothing to top the intensity of Lex before, but the entire experience was different. Their eyes had met as he entered her body and that eye contact had lasted, mesmerizing them. Drowning blue eyes met hers and Chloe would later search her mind for words to describe it but find none adequate.

He loved her and she could see it because he was letting her. The reserve he wore for everyone else was gone and it was like staring into the sun. There were so many important things there it was impossible to see them all, certainly impossible to acknowledge them all as they deserved. She felt like isolating every emotion he’d ever felt and cradling each one like a baby, giving it all the attention and care she was certain no one else had.

When his eyes closed on a blink or a reflex, Lex forced them open again. The visceral pull of looking into green depths was too precious to lose a split second. She was all open trust and sincerity, and the layers of meaning in this familiar act intimidated him.

Her golden brown hair fell over the pillows, gleaming up at him in a way that made him wonder why he had ever thought Chloe wasn’t his type of woman. How had she hidden this gloriously sexual nature from everyone else so that he was the first to discover it? What was it about her that gave her certainty when he felt like a babe in the woods?

Her dewy skin slid smoothly along his, her breasts crushing into his chest as they moved together. It was her supple adjustment of legs that urged him to move faster - he found himself strangely indifferent to his own release when Chloe was with him. The desire to have himself wrapped in her for hours overruled primitive physical sensations.

As she approached climax, Chloe closed her eyes and let her nails claw Lex’s back. She lost the view of his eyes but he was speaking now, breathing out her name hoarsely with each drive inside. His lips came down to hers and they kissed briefly, both too short of breath to linger.

Muscles were working overtime, close to exhaustion and threatening the aches and pains they would grin about later. Movements were almost careless while adrenaline buffered them from ill effects. Lex moved his hands from a bracing position on the mattress to curve under her neck, arching it and tangling in her hair.

Seconds to go for both of them, he felt her grip him with every muscle, arms and legs and torso pressing up and around. He watched her stricken expression, holding out on the burning ache in his lungs and his balls.

Her mouth opened on a scream and he lowered his face, nipping her lips, then her chin and finally raking his teeth just under her collarbone. Her scream broke with the pleasure and he let his eyes close finally and felt the encompassing heat cocoon them.

Chloe felt the pain in her lungs as they emptied, watched the sparks on the back of her eyelids and noticed they were the same colour blue as Lex’s eyes when he was really happy. Her body suspended itself with an almost impossible arch as his came down hard enough to make her breasts tingle with pressure. She could hear blood rushing through her veins and the roar of his release.

The end of massive sensations brought warm numbness and the return of tiny ones. The marks from her nails started to sting with sweat and the imprint of his hasty bites became tender. Their collapsed bodies started to slump toward sleep, grabbing oxygen as quickly as possible through open mouths.

They gazed at each other, too emotionally drained to speak.

Chloe twitched her torso underneath him and Lex held some of his weight up on his arms. She winced then froze, gasping. Her chest, everything in her body was in agony and her fists clenched.

“Lex, I can’t breathe,” she said, before the coughing spasms forced him to let her go.

He staggered off the bed and dialed the security team, barking orders at the first man to pick up and dropping the receiver. Terrified, he clutched her hands and tried not to show the panic and the despair as her lips turned blue.

“Hold on, just hold on Chloe.” He coaxed her to stay with him as the paramedics arrived and as they loaded her onto the helicopter, pushing his way in when most of the bodyguards were trying to pull him back. He whispered it to her unconscious form during the flight, putting all his will behind it. She would live because she had to.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

Lionel Luthor smirked and placed his book down, eyeing his employee with derision.

“You’re a day early, Layton,” he said, not bothering to walk closer to the glass. “I don’t have any use for you.”

The man stiffened with the insult, but his expression stayed neutral. Lionel granted him a small reprieve and his attention. A good poker face is an underrated skill.

Kyle pushed down his irritation with the man and tried to school his features. He wasn’t pleased to be there, only two days after the last report, but it would be his hide if he didn’t deliver the latest news immediately.

“Sir, there’s been a development. Chloe Sullivan-Luthor is in Metropolis General Hospital in critical condition.”

Shock made only a brief appearance on Lionel’s face before it was replaced with anger.

“Tell me.”

She was rushed to the hospital on Saturday morning, less than a day after the press conference, showing symptoms of anaphylactic shock and barely breathing. She was currently being ventilated with the hope that the incident had been caused by an acute allergic reaction. The team of doctors dedicated to her care didn’t know what had caused the emergency, but the mansion was being turned upside down and they were scouring her medical records. She had also received blood.

“What about my son?” His face showed a hint of concern at the question. Somewhere inside him the older man still loved his son, Kyle marveled.

The lawyer placed a newspaper page against the glass. It depicted Lex in a hallway surrounded by reporters, looking enraged and untidy. There were dark circles under his eyes and hollows in his cheeks, and the shirt he was wearing was beyond rumpled.

“He has been in the hospital with her since she arrived. He seems genuinely upset and has asked that the press be confined to the lobby of the hospital. They are holding a virtual siege and he was denied permission to bring in more of his security people. It is safe to assume they’re at risk.”

Kyle returned the newspaper page to his briefcase. Lionel was silent and tense.

“Sir, I’ve consulted a medical expert to analyze what we’ve found out. She said that if Mrs. Sullivan-Luthor is pregnant she can’t be further along than ten weeks, and has likely suffered a miscarriage. It could explain the need for blood transfusions.”

The man nodded and scrubbed a hand across his shorn scalp, visibly uncomfortable. He seemed to have forgotten he was being watched, a truly rare event.

“Deploy whatever security I can spare to the hospital. Guard them,” Lionel said, before turning away.

It was a clear dismissal and Kyle took it gratefully. He kept his eyes on his employer, backing off cautiously.

Lionel waited until he was alone, save the omnipresent camera surveillance, and allowed himself to slouch onto the cot. His hands pressed down on his closed eyelids, trying to banish the memories that were rising.

His moment of rest over, he stood and paced. He recalled what he knew, which wasn’t nearly an acceptable amount to work with. Whatever was wrong with his daughter-in-law wasn’t his doing, so he knew nothing. If she had been pregnant it was likely his grandchild was dead. Lex looked like death and he was showing absolutely no good sense when it came to security.

He pondered the facts and the sequence of events, but nothing jumped out as a starting point. The Luthor family had many enemies, too many for him to properly track.

Blasted hopeless, he thought. How am I supposed to protect my family when I’m forced to spy on them like a petty criminal?
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar
    AAAAAAAA!!! Oh no!!!!!

ToT That's horrible!!

Lionel is awesome!!

I'm torn between ecstatic and sad!

BB

Sugar&Spice of the gutter Senior Member Queen Of Tact's Avatar
    OMG!!! How could you stop like that!!!! Please please please please let Chloe be alright!!!! I don't think lex could survive if anything happened to her.... I so love Lionel......

please please please post more soon...

CC
    "I am scared that I'm always going to be somebody's friend or sister or confidant, but never quite somebody's everything."

NS Senior Member Senior Member
    The reserve he wore for everyone else was gone and it was like staring into the sun. There were so many important things there it was impossible to see them all, certainly impossible to acknowledge them all as they deserved. She felt like isolating every emotion he’d ever felt and cradling each one like a baby, giving it all the attention and care she was certain no one else had.
    Loved this paragraph, it was just beautiful.

But what did you do to Chloe? :crygreen: Though, Lionel's reaction was written like a charm, I really love that MB, despite all the evilness.

Please update soon, I really want to know what happens!

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!& #33;!!!!!!! CHLOE!!!!!!! She has to be all right. Don't let her die. Please...... :crygreen: :crygreen:

Hope :crygreen:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Insane Troll logic girl lexchloe's Avatar
    :crygreen: Chloe's going to be fine right? Of course she's going to be fine, you wouldn't do that to Lex. He needs her. PLEASE let Chloe be alright.
    I tried to drown my sorrows, but the little buggers learned how to swim.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

je_m'adore
    Just a Guest!
    :crygreen: AWWWW... Lionel cares!!!

CHLOE!!!! :crygreen:

I am soooo not an addict tiger04's Avatar
    I hope everthing will be ok. And who knew that Lionel Luther would even care.
    Hope that you write more soon.

AT

Miss Innocent-Or? 2005 Senior Member ColumbiaBlue's Avatar
    *gasp*... :huh: Get back her and fix it!!!! What happened to Chloe! Poor Lex... And... Lionel... Is he good? I'm slow... And confused...

Update soon!

~Manda :

Na-No-Wri-Mo-ing!
    Survival - NC-17
    NC-17 Fanfiction
    Post-Episode for Covenant (Season 3 Finale)
    SPOILER WARNING: Spoilers abound, up to the current episode in U.S./Canadian release. Possible AU, but I won't know how far off-track I'm going until the fall, Season 4 premiere.

Disclaimer: Smallville, the characters therein, and all affiliated copyrighted materials are owned by the WB. This is a work of fanfiction not intended for profit or infringement, only for the pleasure of fans of the series.

A/N: I’m aware of how cruel the last chapter was, but it was seriously nothing compared to what I briefly considered doing to Chloe. I’m a terrible, terrible person, but in my defense just writing this fic is incredibly intense for me. I can’t seem to stop adding layers.

Chapter 15

Misery had a strange way of making doing nothing almost bearable.

Lex Luthor had been seated in various rooms in the hospital over the past five days, docilely shuffling his feet down the puke green hallways to a new one when he was shut from his wife’s room. The hospital staff were treating him like he was broken, speaking to him quietly and offering coffee at every turn. They were trying to be helpful in little ways, overcompensating for their complete failure to help Chloe.

She was still unconscious, as serene as he was disheveled. They said it was poisoning, something that had been slipped into her food or drink, something she had ingested in his presence, in his home, under the care of his security officers.

The doctors had been puzzled by the lab results, recognizing the substance only as a synthetic drug, an expensive neurotoxin unknown to any medical database. Lex knew why: It was a one-off drug made to kill either Chloe or himself. Perhaps the intention had been to give them both the mercy of dying together.

It didn’t matter how those despicable molecules had found their way into his wife’s already weakened frame, just that they were there. No one had used the word coma yet, but he wasn’t fooled. He knew it was possible she would never wake.

Lex was at least privileged enough to be sitting with her. He pressed his forehead to her hip, hiding his face and inhaling the scent of her that hadn’t quite faded with the sponge baths that forced him to wander the halls like a ghost.

Her arms were tiny and covered in needles and tubes. They were feeding in blood and saline to keep her alive, along with an experimental antidote. He had felt like Dr. Frankenstein as he signed the form allowing them to try it, knowing he would effectively be her killer if the terrible side effects they warned of took her life.

He was afraid to touch her like this. It looked like anything might hurt her. One of the quiet, kind nurses had told him it was alright to hold her hand but he couldn’t. It wasn’t enough.

Lex slumped closer to the bed but kept his weight on the balls of his feet. It seemed as if any extra strain on her would be the breaking point. He tilted his head to the side to watch her chest rise and fall. The tubes going into her nose delivered oxygen from the hissing ventilator, and he cherished the harsh artificial sound.

She was alive. He would keep her alive. He needed to keep her alive because she was the only one who believed he could love.

The doctor had looked at him askance upon finding out Chloe was 17, then very seriously had asked if she was pregnant. His tone had the condescension of a medical professional already diagnosing the patient on appearances. Clearly a wealthy 26 year old man didn’t wed a woman eight and a half years younger purely out of love and desire.

If his splintering sanity hadn’t been apparent with every painful gasp from Chloe, Lex correctly assumed the doctor would have believed he was behind the poisoning.

For her sake he had gritted his teeth and ignored the affront, assuring the man that he was responsible for the care of only one life.

Unfortunately it wasn’t true.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

“How did you do it, you bastard?”

Lionel rose from his cot and approached the glass wall, his expression cautious. He recognized some of himself in his son’s desolate rage, a drive to fight with fists and body when only prayer could do any good. A need for vengeance against a world that had allowed their family money and power but no peace.

He knew what Lex was feeling at that moment because he had lived that pain for years, watching his wife die by inches. He had sat vigil next to a hospital bed, lost to the passage of time except as a way to measure his dwindling moments with the woman he loved. No doubt he had looked then as Lex looked now, wearing clothes that were days old, old and new sweat giving his face an unhealthy shine.

“I was very sorry to hear about Chloe, son. How is she?” There was none of the manipulative push or pull normally found in his voice, just sincere concern.

Lex couldn’t handle it, short of temper as he was. Both of his fists collided with the strong glass, producing a minute sonic boom echoing his rage. Lionel could see the blood rushing to the surface of the bruised flesh before Lex turned around. He stood rigid and tensed, breathing harshly, nearly unaware of his father’s presence.

Chloe, I’ll kill him for you, I swear I will. Lex thought about her face, tried to see her smile, but the only image his mind would give him was her pallor and the blue of strangulation stealing her beauty.

“Arrrgh!” He picked up the folding chair for visitors and hurled it against the wall, tears filling his eyes.

He whirled back on his heels and slammed his body into the glass hard enough to make it vibrate. Lionel took an involuntary step back, unable to hide his fear of the man he had raised, stunned as his fists continued to hammer on the glass.

The younger man sank to his knees, his forehead pushing brutally into the wall. His arms hung slack at his sides, all energy having been used up. For a long minute there was no indication Lex even knew where he was, a startling reminder for his father of his time as a patient in Belle Reve.

Eventually his blue eyes squeezed shut, then reopened with cognizance. Lex leaned back and lifted his face to Lionel’s. His voice was chilling as he asked his questions.

“Why her and not me? Why couldn’t you let me have something, just once?”

“I always wanted you to have everything, Lex,” was Lionel’s quiet answer.

He knew they were frequently at odds but Lex was his legitimate heir and the man who would carry the Luthor name after he was gone. He also knew that the mistakes he had made as a parent would fill an encyclopedia, especially as a single parent and a widower. All of that pushed aside to reveal the bare bones, Lionel loved his son. Everything he had done had expressed that in one way or another, whether it was the emotional reserve he employed in raising him or the underhanded ways he interfered in LexCorp.

Lionel’s own father hadn’t been a good model of sane parenting, but there were shades of the same kind of conflict between father and son of all three generations.

You had a boy, gave him a few years with his mother so his bones could harden, then you started regularly and systematically beating the tar out of him. At first it wasn’t something you enjoyed, just a necessity in raising a strong son, one who would survive. The world was harsh and it didn’t care about anyone receiving a fair chance. It rewarded winners who would accept nothing less than what they wanted. Later it was a habit, a release of the frustrations brought on by crushing poverty and hope so deeply subverted that it had become a kind of joy to wallow in how bad things were.

Lionel’s upbringing had been about literal beatings that had chased him onto streets only a little safer. In the legendary Suicide Slums of Metropolis in the mid-twentieth century, everyone was equally at risk for violence. In the tiny tenement apartment where he existed-not lived-with his perpetually intoxicated father, the only available victims were his debased mother and himself. On the street at least he was one of many and there was always another alley to present escape.

When Lex was born Lionel had been as sentimental about the transition to fatherhood as any man, in love with his wife and honoured to have a child with her. The happy family life dissolved quickly under the pressures of building an empire and losing his wife and second son. Left to their own devices and kept separate the two living Luthors had few problems that couldn’t be buried in their minds and dulled by excess of one kind or another. In the same room one could feel the ozone rise like a lightening storm.

Lionel’s aversion to beatings meant the conflict took place with words, maneuverings and manipulations. He would challenge his son to impress him, to be stronger, smarter, faster, better than him. He would see what Lex seemed to value and take it from him, daring him to take it back. He would step in when his son grew tired of women, trying to glean from them an understanding of his progeny.

But Lionel had never taken the final step in that conflict. He had never absolutely forgotten the infant he had once cradled under his wife’s warm gaze or the little red-haired boy who had sat on his lap and smiled at him with love.

Deep in the twisted mass of emotions between the two there had always been that awareness. They couldn’t trust each other but they had limits. Neither wanted to be the executioner of his only remaining family. Certainly there were incidents that belied this but it was, in essence, the Luthor family code of conduct.

Chloe Sullivan was not protected under those rules, but Chloe Sullian-Luthor was.

Lionel was actually rather pleased with Lex’s choice. He certainly hadn’t wanted one of the interchangeable brunette bimbos raising his grandchildren. It complicated things that she was also the key witness in his murder trial, but he was nothing if not adaptable. Bouncing a red-haired, green-eyed baby on his knee would go a long way to all things being forgiven.

If she lived.

Lionel pulled himself from his thoughts and looked into his son’s eyes. He needed to win him over, convince him they could work together to protect their family’s future. Otherwise all their sacrifices of the past year would add up to nothing.

Exhausted and defeated, Lex waited. He didn’t know what was going on anymore and decoding the machinations that dictated his life was beyond him. The best he could hope for was a bargain for the antidote. He would sign over everything if he could hold on to Chloe.

“I didn’t do this, son. I didn’t poison Chloe or you and I didn’t arrange the explosion that killed Gabe Sullivan. I’ve been trying to protect you. That’s why I’m here.”

The older man made a spare gesture indicating the cell walls. Lex labouriously got to his feet, levering himself up against the glass.

He looked searchingly at his father, trying to see the lie so he could protect himself and Chloe, but he couldn’t find it. All of his training in reading the man had either abandoned him or there was no lie.
    Her soul is senstive like a finely made tuning fork. It vibrates and resonates with every little hint of trauma, evil and monstrosity that might be humming in the air, and channels it into expressions of fiction... or recomended websites - somethingeasy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information