Thread: Fallout (NC-17) 8 September, 2009 - Complete

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Oh this is getting crazy more please...

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar
    :biggrin: fantastic chappy!

NS Full Member
    Excellent! This was definitely not what I was expecting, it's really an interesting turn of events. Thanks for the update!

NS Senior Member Senior Member carebear72884's Avatar
    That was great, :biggrin: I can't belive I forgot about this fic, I haven't read any of it since the begaining...update soon, I want to know what is going to happen.

NS Senior Member Senior Member Béatrice's Avatar
    Fabolous!!! :clap:

More... pleaseeeeeeeeee!!!

NS Full Member
    Okaaayy, can we all say HUH?! This certainly took a new twist.

When is Lex gonna find out what happened? Will anybody else find out what happened? How is Lex gonna react when he does find out? Is Chloe Gabe's or her mother's widower's daughter? What exactly has this got to do with the rest of the plot?????

Oh just shut me up with another update already or I'm likely to keep asking questions 'til you've forgotten what it was you were going to write and then my questions will never be answered!

In all seriousness (is that even a word?) I loved the update and I nearly fell out of my chair when they first asked for her DNA sample thinking that someone else had found out about the assault and they were going to try Lex for rape.

More soon please?! :worship2:

Kezz.....x.x.x.

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    A/N: *points to story summary on first page* Sorry if it seemed like I was throwing a wrench into the story, but rest assured that everything has been planned.

~*~*~*~*~

Two Weeks Later…

Chloe Sullivan prided herself on being able to handle just about everything that life threw at her. She dealt with the heartbreak of unrequited love, the broken emotions of being consistently lied to by people she cared about, she’d been put in the hospital by meteor freaks so many times that she’d lost count, she’d sat through grueling interrogations about a certain evil billionaire, and she’d gone on as if nothing had happened after being raped by said billionaire’s son.

She’d been able to deal with all of that, but in the end, all it took to undo her was a single sheet of paper.

99.87% match for paternity.

That was…pretty definite.

Her legs gave out and she crumpled to the ground, her body shaking all over. She felt cold and she felt numb. There was no small voice in the back of her head to reassure her that things would be alright. There were no images of what the future might hold for her now – or even memories of the past that she’d been trying so desperately to forget. There was just nothing; an all-consuming void that drained the spark right out of her.

What the hell was she supposed to do now?

~*~*~

Dark circles sat under his eyes and his weary muscles showed their pain even through his expensive clothing; Lex Luthor had definitely looked better. Garner grimaced. He could see that the pharmaceutical therapy sessions had been taking their toll on the younger Luthor’s body; and if the frantic phone call he’d received in the middle of the previous night was any indication, then the treatments were affecting Lex’s mind as well.

He was sure that no memory was worth subjecting yourself to that kind of torture and he was surprised and dismayed that Lex kept coming back time and time again, searching for answers that may not even exist. Garner sighed and it alerted Lex to his presence. The bald man’s head snapped to look at the doctor and the doctor frowned at him.

“Your next session isn’t for another week and a half,” he informed Lex gruffly, leaving the unspoken question dangling in the air between them. What are you doing here?

“I can’t sleep.”

“The pills I gave you aren’t helping?”

“No,” Lex answered. “They help me fall asleep, but…”

“But?”

Lex sat down and buried his head in his hands. It was an expression of helplessness and defeat and Garner was wary and uneasy at seeing it on a man who usually exuded such self-confidence.

“I keep seeing things,” Lex said so quietly that Garner almost didn’t catch what he said. “Bad things. I can’t tell what’s real from what’s not and they’re starting to creep into my head when I’m awake.”

“Ah,” Garner said with sudden understanding. He folded his arms across his chest and adopted an ‘I know everything’ stance. The look was not uncommon for him. “It sounds like you’re experiencing some deterioration between your synaptic nerves and neural processing. It has only presented itself in ten percent of our ongoing experiments, but you should be fine if we discontinue treatment now.”

“We can’t.”

“You have to. You’ll risk losing your mind if you don’t.”

“I have to know what’s real,” Lex said, too tired and desperate to care if his words came out pleadingly. “I have to know if…”

If I hurt her…if I *raped* her…

“I have to know,” he whispered.

Garner shook his head. “Whatever it is that’s haunting you isn’t going to go away with the knowledge of whether it actually happened or not. And your body is already having a hypersensitive reaction to the drugs we’re using. If we keep going, you could end up trapped in your own mind, reliving that memory, or nightmare, or whatever the hell it is, for the rest of your life. Think about it. Do you really want to take that risk?”

Lex closed his eyes and clamped his shaking hands together so his agitation – his fear – wouldn’t be as visible.

“I have to know,” he repeated.

Garner sighed again. “Is there any other way you can find out?” he asked. “Because I’m telling you now, if you don’t lose your sanity with the next session, then there’s a good chance you’ll lose your life.” He stepped closer to Lex and noted the utter anguish etched on his features. “If it’s a real memory and not just a figment of your imagination, then there should be some outside way to verify it.”

Lex rested his forearms on his thighs and hung his head. There was another way. He’d already hired someone to break into Smallville Community Hospital to see if there were any records of a rape victim matching Chloe’s description coming into the Emergency Room during his ‘missing’ seven weeks of time. He’d received the results in a sealed manila envelope yesterday.

He hadn’t opened it yet.

He wanted his nightmares to be only that and the weight of the envelope alone let him know that there was a very real chance that they weren’t. But it appeared that he didn’t have a choice. He’d have to open the envelope and face his demons head on; he just hoped he’d be able to live with himself afterward.

~*~*~

Truth be told, he hadn’t expected the test results to be positive. But there it was in black and white in front of him.

He had a daughter.

He had a daughter who he’d never known existed.

Gregory blew out a long breath that he didn’t consciously realize he’d been holding in. He was trapped in a cyclone of emotions that weren’t easily handled one at a time, let alone when combined with each other. He was shocked, elated, bitter, hurt, and angry all at the same time.

How could his Alice never tell him? No clue, no hint, no…anything.

He would need to learn more. Though no amount of investigation could provide him with the real answers he sought, he could at least find out what his daughter’s (his daughter) life had been like up to that point and how best to build the foundation for a relationship with her from now on.

~*~*~

Three Days Later…

Nothing he’d relived through his nightmares could have prepared Lex for what he was now looking at. He’d finally gathered the courage to confront his demons head on and was now really wishing that he hadn’t.

Severe laceration…seven stitches…signs of rape…massive bruising and tearing…evidence of forced entry…

And if he thought the medical reports were bad, they were nothing compared to the pictures. Logically, he understood the reasoning behind them. They were proof that it had happened; snapshots of the results of a brutal crime to use as evidence in a court of law.

Except they hadn’t been.

According to the reports, Chloe lied and said it was too dark to make out who her attacker was. Smallville, Kansas was a town with a lot of farmland and not a lot of anything else. The only lights on at night were the streetlamps downtown and those on residents’ homes. Nothing would have lit the area where Chloe claimed the incident occurred, so the doctors believed her. The police believed her. There was no reason not to.

Lex turned away from the images, closing his eyes for a moment as a sickening nausea swept over him. This time it had nothing to do with the drugs he’d been taking and everything to do with facing the horrific reality of what he’d done to Chloe.

No amount of apologizing was ever going to make up for what his family had done to her. Clark may have temporarily broken her heart, but the Luthors had managed to put some permanent chinks in the already thin armor that was her spirit.

To make matters worse, Lex knew there was no atonement. He’d never be able to even be in the same room with her again. He wouldn’t be able to say he was sorry for the things he’d personally done to her because he’d be too sick from projecting the severely wounded photos he had just been looking at onto her now seemingly normal self.

Normal. There was a relative term if ever he’d heard one.

When he first met Chloe, she was energetic and fully of spunky wit. Over time, he’d witnessed her withdrawing more and more into herself, but the changes had been so gradual and slow in progression that he didn’t realize what was happening. Given the attention span of the Smallville populace in general, he doubted that anyone had.

He slammed his eyelids closed again and tried to focus on his breathing. It didn’t work. Flashed of a night he wished had never happened intermingled with images of the results, with the scanned photos of Chloe’s blood and dark purple bruising in the shape of his fingers.

His stomach lurched and his heart felt like it shattered into a million irreparable pieces. With the memories of the truth came cruel reminders of how he felt about her at the time; how he felt about her now and just hadn’t realized it until he’d started to remember his missing time.

He loved her.

He loved her and he destroyed her.

Lex buried his face in his hands. For once, he had no idea what to do. What plan of attack could there be when he himself was the enemy? He dragged his hands down his face and opened his eyes. He felt drawn and defeated.

As much as he’d like to make his father the scapegoat for his current situation, he couldn’t. His dad may be responsible, inadvertently if not directly, for everything else that had gone horribly wrong in his life, but this…this was all his own doing and he had no one to blame but himself.

The realization broke something inside him and when he turned his attention back to the contents the manila envelope had held, he stared down at the pictures and medical files in a dead, expressionless haze. His heart and mind completely separated themselves from the information, refusing to deal with the indescribable pain he felt moments before; with the hurt he’d been trying to ignore for almost two weeks.

At the bottom of the file, buried beneath the almost illegible scrawl of the doctor’s notes, was something that caught his attention and shoved his brain back into gear. A handwritten page on a small sheet of hospital stationary.

Just FYI – it looks like someone else has been into the victim’s records in the past couple of days. Couldn’t trace the computer signature, but anyone who can afford an anonymous address would probably go for the hard copies as well. Thought you’d want to know.

It wasn’t signed and it wasn’t addressed, but Lex knew who it was from and that it was to him just the same. He also had a good idea who was digging through Chloe’s medical records.

Fuck.

A fiery anger began to burn within him. His father couldn’t just leave well enough alone, could he? He was probably looking for something like allergies to medication, for some way he could get rid of the girl that was becoming more than a simple inconvenience to him without making it look like he had anything to do with her death.

Suddenly, the plan of attack that had eluded him before came into crystal-clear focus. There was more than one enemy and his father was the one on the offensive. He remembered telling Chloe that he’d protect her from Lionel Luthor, and if he couldn’t allow himself near enough to her to give her the apology she deserved, then he could at least keep his word.

She wouldn’t be hurt by his family again.

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar
    hmy: EEKKKKK!!! OMG!!! rip my heart out why don't you!!! Damn, aghhhh, blubber blubber, god, this fic is just D-A-M-N!!!!!!!!

:worship2: :worship2: :worship2:

NS Full Member
    Wow, that was a quick return! Thank you, thank you!

I'm glad this new "father" isn't planning on just barging in and trying to take over Chloe's life. She's been through enough for someone who is essentially just a kid, mature though she may be. And Lex... *sigh* Poor, tortured Lex. Excellent work.

lexodus
    Just a Guest!
    This story breaks my heart. :crygreen: I'm so addicted to it, though.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information