+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Blessings (Completed: 15/07)(R)

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Nice.....

hope :biggrin:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Wow, I havent read all the chapters yet (still 7 more to go) but I loved how you build up the story (not just fleeting kinda one) and the way you write it.
    Aww, from what I have read so far, Chloe isnt as perky as before. She has matured a lot but I guess that's natural considering she lost her father and has a younger bro to take care of. Sighs, I missed her usual funny quotes/sayings ..
    Everyone seemed to be quite burdened.. and this made the story quite heavy.. which caused me to be in a <s>mellow</s> moody mood..lol I will read more later..

Oh, dont abandon this story, okay?

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    Please, please update soon&#33;&#33; I can&#39;t wait to read what you have planned next&#33;&#33; This is such an interesting story&#33;&#33; :biggrin: :chlexsign1: :biggrin:

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar
    Whoopsie, sorry I got sidetracked with the RPG, this ficlet I'm making and graduation (TOMORROW!!! )... I know it usually doesn't take long to put this up but... okay, here we go... ^^;;;

Chapter 17

He couldn’t concentrate. Lex stared at his laptop for a moment then leaned back in his chair and exhaled tiredly. Ever since that whole incident with Clark and Chloe, he hadn’t been able to focus his attention to his work; his mind was always drifting to the issue with Clark and Shishio then shifted to more pleasant thoughts of Chloe and that wonderful mouth and tongue of hers. Of course his thoughts tended mostly to Chloe as it wasn’t as stressful to think about her.

However, the moments when he did think of Clark’s sudden appearance and the fact that he was connected to Shishio caused all the questions about his father’s death to resurface. Clark had a personal record with the older Luthor and therefore, there was a motive for Clark to kill the man. Chloe – wondrously soft lips coupled with enthusiasm among other things – had brought it up when they were discussing Shishio and she presented the probability that it was just a point of circumstance – Lionel was there and so he was to be killed. Lex joked about her watching too many hostage movies and she just shrugged and said that it was better to be open-minded than to see things in one solitary way.

Still, Lex was never one to see the crime so brutal as just an act of circumstance. Killing a man just because he was there didn’t explain the carving on his chest – The monster will come and swallow you whole. There was a reason why it was there; it was a warning. Had it only been for Shinomori, it would have solely been on the old man’s body, but it was also on his father’s body. A warning of conflict yet to come.

And I’ve gone and endangered Chloe and Remy’s lives. His inner voice accused him once again, but he knew that what it was saying was wrong. They would have been in more danger had they not been under his care. They would have been totally exposed – easy prey for a starving predator. Shishio Makoto with the strongest weapon Lex knew: Clark Kent.

The young Luthor closed his eyes for a moment before he pushed his seat back and got up, shutting down the lap top as he moved. There was no way he was going to get anything done with all the things that were going on inside his mind. His muscles felt strained despite the fact that he hadn’t done anything strenuous. Damn stress, he thought bitterly in his mind. He needed some distractions; something effective… like…

Chloe.

With a little smile on his face – there because of the anticipation coursing through him – he strolled out of his home office to check on that lovely blonde that was residing with him. As it was, she was talking to someone on the cordless phone in the library. Remy and Misao were there as well, immersed in another round of Big Two.

Lex’s mirth, however, came to a dead stop at Chloe’s giggle. She never giggled; not to his knowledge had she ever allowed such a – a girlish thing to come out of her mouth. His head snapped to her and narrowed on her form – sprawled on the couch as she spoke to whoever it was on the other line. I swear if it’s Shinomori I’m stuffing those precious swords of his down his throat!

“Sano, you’re such a freak!” she laughed into the cordless phone as her pointer finger on her free hand twirled wisps of her hair.

Lex felt something surge in him. Danger! Danger! Intervention needed now! “Chloe, could I speak to you for a moment?”

His voice was deadly calm. The movement – the easy-going atmosphere was replaced by tangible electricity and everything froze for a moment. Remy looked up at Lex with his wide blue eyes and suppressed a giggle. He was finally accustomed to what the Chloe and him were feeling for each other – mostly because Misao kept on muttering about it when she saw the two on her way to see the small boy. It’s so obvious, yet those two are so baka to see it, she told him with the shake of her head before they settled into their usual rounds with the cards. With a knowing look on his face he glanced at Misao, who nodded at him and they brushed all the cards together and headed out quietly.

Meanwhile, Chloe had tilted her head backwards and blinked at him. Even if he was upside down, she could tell he was irritated. With what, she didn’t know. She was too busy listening to the quirky stories that Sano was telling her about the women he dated. Pursing her lips she settled back again in her seat.

“Sano, uhm… something kind of came up –”

Yeah, I know, the man on the other end replied with a mischievous tone. I heard baldy-man. Go talk to him. He sounds like he’s got something stuck up his ass. Chloe repressed a laugh.

“Okay, bye,” she said in a muffled voice before she disconnected. Waiting a moment and taking a breath before she got up and looked straight at the stony-faced Luthor. “What’s up?”

“I think it’s high time we talked about that kiss we shared just a while ago,” he answered point blank.

He strode purposefully towards her, causing her to stiffen. He took a seat across from her and leaned forward; his elbows settled upon his thighs. Chloe moved in her seat and mimicked his posture so that they were at eye-level. She wasn’t about to show she was intimidated by him. “What about it?”

“I was hoping you could tell me. I’ve told you my story. It’s time for yours.” His eyes were intense, piercing her; making her feel almost vulnerable.

“You told me squat, Lex,” she retorted. “I knew it would irk Clark… among other things.” Her voice turned mocking when she quoted him then she snorted. “I mean what the hell? That’s no answer; that’s avoiding it. I’m absolutely not going to say anything until I hear the truth from you.”

“But I already gave the truth.” He could feel the blood in his veins pump more furiously.

“Yeah, half baked!”

“It’s a lot better than nothing – which is what I have from you. Do you make it a habit to have someone kiss you then reciprocate only to flirt with some other guy afterwards? Some people would call that –”

“Oh, no, don’t you dare even go there!” she yelled. “I was talking to a friend just now; I wasn’t flirting! Why the hell am I explaining any of this to you? You’re not even explaining your side of the damn story!”

“Don’t be so pig-headed, Sullivan –” he started, his eyes narrowing.

“Ooh, very bad choice of words, Lex! Pig-headed? Sullivan? Oh yeah and let’s not forget the fact that you almost called me a damn slut!”

“I wasn’t going to say –”

She went on raving, refusing to let him speak. “First you insult me then you place distance! You know, I’m thinking it really was all for show because if you really did care then you’d have forgone the extra crap and just told me straight out that you actually like me.”

“I wouldn’t have done that if I didn’t like you, Chloe,” he told her in a deadpan voice.

“You know, I think that as long as it’s got enough cleavage and can be used to your advantage in another situation, you would have done the same thing with it as you did to me.” Chloe inhaled and pinched the bridge of her nose before she moved to get up. “I thought that we were friends but I see that it’s all just my imagination.”

“I don’t want us to be friends,” Lex growled as she walked away.

She whirled around with spite in her eyes. “Oh, is that right? Let me guess…” she tapped her finger against her chin as if she was thinking then looked back at him, her eyes a stormy colour. “You want us to be fuck buddies?”

“Damn it, Chloe, you know that is not what I want our relationship to turn out to be.”

“You’re certainly not being clear about what you want of it, Lex.” She sighed tiredly then. “And until you are, I think we should keep a bit of space between us.”

She began to walk out – her fingers rubbing her eyes. Ranting always took so much energy out of her, but it was better than keeping in all that frustration that was pent up in side of her. And all for the –

“Chloe you better not be walking away from me. No one ever walks away from a Luthor our circumstances.”

The enraged voice was kept low, but menacing enough to stop her in her tracks and caused her to turn around and peer at him. He was standing in front of the couch his eyes a dark and stormy colour while a muscle worked at his jaw. When she faced him fully, her head was tilted up in defiance and her eyes refused to waver from his face.

“Well, guess what, Lex; there’s a first for everything,” she seethed. “So consider this your first.” With that she stomped off leaving Lex in the deafening silence.

~~ o0o ~~

“Sano, it’s gotten worse,” Misao murmured into her cell phone with a heaving sigh. “It’s been a week since they’ve spoken to each other. They refuse to dine together and Remy’s becoming distressed.”

“Don’t worry, anata,” Sano reassured his girlfriend. “Ice-box is thinking something up. Just… entertain Remy for a while longer.”

“His senses are acute, tori-tama,” she hissed into the phone. “He will always be aware of what’s happening around him. There are no signs of the two even making eye-contact within the next few weeks and Halloween’s coming up in that time. If Ice – I mean Aoshi, doesn’t act now, Remy’s going to head for a steady decline!”

“Really, babe, just chill. Here, talk to Ken-san. He knows more about what’s going on with that baka-shishou of ours. Aishiteru, itachi-anata!”

There was a moment of fumbling and then Kenshin’s voice – chipper as usual – met Misao’s ears. “Konbanwa, Misao-dono!”

“Oh, cut the formalities already, Ken-san!” she whined, rolling her eyes. “You make me feel like I’m a hundred instead of twenty-two!”

“But, sessha could never drop formalities for everyone deserves the utmost respect,” the flame-haired man said, chuckling.

She grumbled into the phone. “Anyway, what is it that my cousin is cooking up for the two? It’s excruciating to be around them when they refuse to talk or acknowledge each other. It’s – it’s so childish!”

“Yes, well sessha recalls another couple a year ago that had gone through such a phase,” he answered in a jokingly wistful voice.

Mou, Ken-san!” But the woman laughed. “So tell me what’s up?”

“Well, with Halloween coming up, Aoshi thought it would be nice to host a nice party at the penthouse. It’ll be just you guys there, us and a few other selected guests.”

“Uh huh… and how do we get them together, spike their drinks?”

Kenshin laughed heartily. “No, of course not; that would defeat the whole purpose… the thing is, we’re going to make it a masquerade party… so they’re bound to run into each other, but not recognize each other.”

“And you’re sure this is going to work, how?”

Maa, maa, Misao, some things are supposed to be a surprise! Just expect an invitation in a day or two. Everyone gets one. If one plans to back out, you inform us and we’ll do the coaxing… if we left it to you I don’t think we’ll be seeing them at all.”

Misao snorted. “Look, I know I’m aggressive and all but –”

Kenshin chuckled. “Really, Misao-dono, you can just leave it to sessha or Aoshi. Anyway, I have to get going. You take care, okay? Ja!”

Bai-bai,” Misao said with a smile on her face.

Exhaling loudly, she flopped back on the bed she was sitting on. Soon, she thought relieved. She was so sick of them skirting around each other… Chloe to Lex no baka.

~~ o0o ~~

Chloe ran her fingers across the keyboard expertly, typing in the address to her email account. When she logged in, she found that she had merely one new mail. Nonchalantly she clicked on the inbox icon and her face instantly lit up when she found that the sender was Aoshi.

The whole idea seemed wonderful. She immediately sought out Misao and upon finding her, she asked her about the possible costume she had in mind. The raven-haired girl seemed enthusiastic about the entire thing and said also added that Remy would be going (upon Aoshi’s request) and wearing a prearranged traditional Japanese costume from the early 1800’s. Chloe felt the anticipation build in her, only to feel it drop slightly at the probability that Lex would go to. Pursing her lips, she went to seek him out.

~~ o0o ~~

Lex gave a once over at the invitation and snorted. He knew that Chloe must have gotten one, too, considering she was the closer one to the Shinomori’s out of the both of them. He was very tempted to go. But his blood still boiled at the idea that she could possibly spend more time with that Sagara character. Did she know that he was a playboy – seeing a different girl everyday and flirting with women left and right?

Oh he would go, he thought resolutely. There was no way in hell that he would allow her to be in a place at such close proximity with someone who oozed sexuality like Sagara did. He’d be there and she wouldn’t know it.

There was a sudden knock at his office door and his eyes flitted from the screen of his lap top to the raven-haired woman with sharp blue eyes. “Makimachi-san,” he greeted stiffly.

“Damn it, why is everyone being so damn formal with me all the time? It’s ‘Misao’, Lex; I’m going to be here a while so you better get used to saying that name.”

“What do you want?” he asked shortly, his eyes going cold as she approached his desk.

Misao placed both palms against the wooden surface and looked intently at Lex. “You’re going to Aoshi-sama’s party, right?” There was something in her look that made him want to answer ‘yes’.

“I plan on declining, actually,” he told her instead, leaning back against his chair and looking at her with his usual easy smirk.

“Oh right! I forgot; you’re never one to associate yourself with those who are obviously far more superior to you. Okay, well, I’ll go tell Aoshi-sama that his lowliest invitee will not be coming.”

Lex pursed his lips, so tempted to speak his mind, but he knew she was baiting him. So, Aoshi wants me to come, he thought when the door to his office was closed and once again he was left alone. That was a sure sign he was plotting something; most probably to show him that he was capable of winning Chloe over. Oh, no, he hadn’t forgotten their first non-business conversation. You know, considering she isn’t attached, I believe I would like to try a hand at courting her… the Japanese man’s voice, so suggestive and arrogant, was still clear in his mind.

Lex leaned forward onto his elbows and pursed his lips as he stared ahead of him. Damn it, why was everyone after her all of a sudden? There was no doubt that she would showcase herself during the party since she wasn’t one to be anything less of a spectacle wherever she went (she had a habit of drawing attention to her… must be her personality and aura that draws their attention to her).

“Lex,” someone called snapping him out of his humourless thoughts.

His grey eyes rested on the only person who could occupy his mind so completely. “Chloe,” he greeted just as aloofly as he had with Misao. “What is it you want?”

A lot of things that you aren’t willing to give me as of yet. “I just want to know if you’re planning to go to Aoshi’s party,” she answered in a huffy voice, shoving down the thought viciously.

“As much fun as it sounds, I plan on passing the invitation,” he lied, a small smirk playing across his lips. “Sorry to disappoint you.”

The fact was that Chloe did feel put down that he wasn’t planning on attending. Despite the fact that they weren’t in good terms whatsoever, the tension around him, always kept her fears of Shishio and his men at bay. “Oh, yeah, very disappointing,” she retorted, trying to hide her true feelings on his answer. “Okay, well…” she cleared her throat and walked out.

Despite her best efforts to keep it from him, Lex saw the play of emotions on her face… and once he was in the presence of only himself, he leaned back against his chair and a full-fledge smile grew upon his lips.

To be continued...

******** Author's Notes ********

Okay first off, vocabulary!

anata - beloved (endearment)

tori-tama - chicken-man

baka-shishou - stupid boss

Aishiteru - I love you

Itachi-anata - beloved weasel

Konbanwa - Good evenening

sessha - this unworthy one

Mou - sort of like 'aww!!' in a protesting manner

Maa, maa - now, now...

Bai-bai - .... well i think you get the idea that it's just bye-bye spelled differently... ^^

Okay just for clearing things up, Misao is not old; yes, she is with Sanosuke (see chapter 15.a for introduction to his char) and the Shinomori's are doing a bit of matchmaking through the costume party! -_-; that was already my original plan before i discovered other stories with masquerade parties... this isn't quite a masquerade but... close enough... -_-;

So... what do you think? -_-; These next few weeks might be funky too... I'll try to get an update in though!!!

PS... Feedback!!!!

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    Thank you so much for the update&#33;&#33; Oh, I can&#39;t wait for the party&#33;&#33; This is going to be so much fun&#33;&#33; Hopefully Shishio won&#39;t crash the party&#33;&#33;

Congratulations on your graduation&#33;&#33; arty2: Hope you have so much fun&#33;&#33; :dance: :bestwishes:

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Chloe and Lex frustrate the hell out of me. UGH&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Hope :nobad:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

NS Senior Member Senior Member Béatrice's Avatar
    :biggrin: Thanks for the update. I hope that their misunderstandings are going to end soon. I can&#39;t wait for the next part. :chlexsign3:

Pirate At Heart
    Aww, she wants him to go protect her. This is one of the best fics I&#39;ve read. Congrats&#33;

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar
    A/N: Okay so it&#39;s been a while since I&#39;ve posted... -_-; sorry about that... I got caught up in the flurry of post-high school stuff so... yeah... uhm, anyway, I added some Remy-ness to this so I hope you like... More Chlex--scenes to come... definitely... mwhaha... on with the fic..

Warning: OOC Lex, but you&#39;ll see why... -_-; I hope you don&#39;t mind it....

Chapter 18 (un-betaed as of now...)

Sano whistled as he lifted the costume Aoshi was going to give Chloe. “What I wouldn’t give to see this on itachi. She’d look so hot&#33;” He turned to his boss and gave a pleading look. “Could Misao try it for a while? I promise that she’ll only wear it for a moment…” a look that suggested they would be engaged in activities needing no barriers such as clothes between them.

At the icy glare, Sano set the costume down and backed off, laughing a bit. Aoshi shook his head. “Why she’s with the likes of you, I’ll never understand,” the businessman muttered.

“Love is a strange thing; it can exist in any circumstance.” Sano grinned haughtily at his boss, feeling smart at his words.

“Are those wise words coming from rooster-head’s beak? I’m shocked,” the other man smirked. “Or perhaps you got that quote from someone else? That seems more likely as your brain is a lot smaller than the rest of us.”

“You know if you weren’t my boss I’d kick your ass right now,” the spiky-haired man announced.

“You can try but you won’t even be able to get near it,” Aoshi answered back arrogantly.

Sano narrowed his gaze on Aoshi and clenched his jaw from saying anything. The other man looked back arrogantly with his eyes dancing in amusement and triumph. He looked back at the costume and pursed his lips. “I must get Misao to bring her to the salon… this won’t work if he can tell by her skin tone and hair-colour.” He glanced at the spiky-haired young man. “Call Misao right away and tell her she is to bring Chloe to Hidori’s salon.”

With a curt nod, Sano left with the cell phone in his hand. Once the man was out of the room, Aoshi looked back down at the outfit. Lex Luthor, Mr. Predictable when it came to women, was not going to know what hit him. The smirk that graced the Japanese man’s lips was mischievous and full of glee.

~~ o0o ~~

Remy sat quietly on the bed in his shared bedroom while Chloe and Misao fussed over the blonde’s costume. He may have been deemed empathic, but this was one particular ritual that the boy could not understand. Perhaps it was the fact that he was so naturally male that clouded his ability to comprehend or maybe because he was too young. Still, becoming distressed about what to wear, how to wear it and the make up and hairdos just didn’t click well in his mind.

Seeing more than enough of this side of the women he was close to, Remy hopped off the bed and left the room to search for a male. He’d had his share of oestrogen; now he needed a dose of testosterone… and who better to provide that than his own father? With a little smile on his face he skipped down the stairs with one hand on the banister, then walked with his head wandering around and bobbing as if he heard a little melody in his head.

Remy knew Lexie would be in his study and just as as he opened the door, there he was. He felt secret mischief of sorts roll off of the bald man and the child cocked his head to the side curiously before he moved closer. The child watched as Lexie looked up from the screen of his lap top and saw the raise of a pale brow of surprise. Remy knew it was because of his costume and he beamed up at him, holding his head high.

“Well, look at you, Remy,” Lex said, the corners of his lips lifting. “When did you get it?”

The young boy was fully dressed as a samurai of the Meiji Era; a full-length kimono, hakama pants and a haori all in blues and whites. At the child’s hip was a shrunken version of what Lex himself had behind him – a pair of swords: the kodachi and the katana. Everything was precise; down to the tabi and tabi socks he wore.

“I got it yesterday from oba-san who said it was from my shukufu,” the child answered simply, puffing his chest and strutting around for a while.

Lex was torn between laughing at the four-year-old’s display of confidence and growling at the idea that Shinomori had actually given something to Remy. He knew the latter reaction was uncalled for as the man was Remy’s uncle and thus he was entitled to contact and gift-giving, but he couldn’t help but feel uber-protective of his son. Remy, with his sharp senses brought his blue eyes to Lex’s own grey ones, his expression becoming solemn.

“I’m happy you’re my dad,” the boy stated simply.

Lex forgot to breath. He had never felt emotions as severe as those he was experiencing at that moment. He felt himself shakily get up and go over to his son before kneeling before the child and grasping his arms in a loose hold. “Do you mean that?” His voice sounded faint, even to his own ears, but he was beyond caring about that.

The split second that Lex waited was elongated into what seemed to be hours. Remy’s head of soft raven strands moved in an upward and downward motion. It took a moment for the answer to register, but when it did, a floodgate burst open and a chaotic blend of happiness, stark disbelief, and relief roared through the older Luthor. Lex saw the four-year-old watch him with eyes that spoke of child-to-parent love and felt the grand feelings grow to new heights. Impulsively, he drew his son in and held him close; his body shaking uncontrollably. So this is what it feels like to have a family member actually love you, he thought, shutting his eyes tightly. He felt Remy’s shorter arms wrap as far as it could around his middle and let out a choked laugh. It felt so strange to express so much and yet he was thankful that he allowed such a thing to occur.

It was so difficult not to be open with Remy. He already had empathic abilities, thus trying to hide one’s true feelings away from him was impossible. That added to the natural joy and trustful nature made it hard to even deny the boy a glimpse (at least) of the true person behind the front. Lex pulled away and gazed at his son with an intense look in his grey eyes.

“Thank you, Remy,” he murmured with a little smile.

In turn he got a toothy grin. “You’re welcome,” the boy answered enthusiastically, aware that he had just done something extraordinarily wonderful for his father.

The knock on the door had Remy turning his head and Lex glancing irritably at the intruder. His annoyance melted away from his outward appearance as he withdrew into himself once again when he noted that it was Misao. She looked as though she had been searching for someone and found him. Switching her blue eyes to Lex for a moment she informed stiffly, “I just came to get Remy.” Then she peered back at Remy and smiled warmly. “Come on; we still have one more stop to make before the party.”

Remy turned back to Lex and tugged at his arm. “Please come, too, Lexie,” the child urged. “I want you to come, too.”

It was then that Chloe decided to burst in as well pushing the door open to its fullest angle and startling Misao slightly. The older Luthor brought his eyes back to the doorway and felt something clench in his gut. She, too, was sporting a traditional Japanese kimono that was a bluish-purple hue with cherry blossom designs. The inner layers were a lighter blue colour while the obi tied around her waist was a peach tone with red, violet and sky blue flowers printed on them. The darkness of her clothing seemed to enhance the pale tone of her skin. Even though it was a conservative costume, Lex noticed the sudden acuteness of his senses. Her face was yet to be adorned with make-up, but he was more than willing to say that she needed nothing to enhance her already flushed cheeks and full pink lips.

“So what’s happening now?” Chloe’s voice cut through the haze that he had retreated into as he took in her appearance. She seemed oblivious to his attention – to the way he was practically memorizing her appearance.

“I want Lexie to come, Chloe,” Remy stated firmly with a delicate frown upon his childish brows.

Misao made a little sound of amusement at Remy’s pet name for Lex. She had never heard the boy use it before and to hear it in reference to the bald Luthor was hilarious. She bit her lip, however, when she noticed the deathly glare that he shot her.

“I’m sorry, Remy, but I have a lot of work to do,” Lex lied easily as he looked at his son. He knew the boy would pick up on it and had counted on it. As he regarded the child in his arms, his true message was clear in his grey depths. “We can hang out later, though. Now you run along and have fun, okay?” He gave a little smile and urge the child to go with Misao.

The look on the face of the young Luthor changed to one of clear mischief. He understood and would do what his father told him. Before he turned, Remy made sure there was a believable pout upon his face. In a sulking manner, he went to Misao and Chloe, both of whom looked slightly guilty – as if they were responsible for the situation and the boy’s disappointment. It took a fair bit of control not to break into laughter – for both Remy and Lex.

Before leaving the room, Chloe glanced back at Lex and bit her lip. “You can come if you want to, Lex…”

He shook his head in reply. “I’ll be just fine here… I think things would be far too tense if I went and it would ruin Remy’s night for sure.”

The blonde considered this and nodded. “Very well… uh… I’ll… see you.” Awkwardly, she turned away from him and left him alone.

Lex waited for a few minutes, waiting until he was sure they were gone. Then he moved efficiently towards his bedroom. I’ve still got an hour and a half to get ready, he thought.

~~ o0o ~~

Inside the car, Chloe fidgeted, her fingers tugging at one another as she stared anxiously outside. The mansion was rolling out, Lex was still inside and Remy was still sulking. She felt awful about doing this, but even as she barged into his office, the awkward feeling returned and had he come, there was no doubt the rest of the night would have been the same way.

“Hey, Chloe, snap out of it; if I didn’t know better, I would have believed you were actually enamoured with the bald bakayarou,” Misao piped in a joking manner.

The blonde snapped out of her daze and glanced at the spunky chick beside her. “Well, I would have laughed in your face at thinking such a thought,” she replied.

The sceptical look that she got had her rolling her eyes and Misao smiled. “Say, you want a drink? I believe they actually have some red wine stored in here…” she looked inside a compartment and brought out a bottle with a triumphant look upon her face. “Here we go&#33;”

In a mindless motion, she moved the bottle so that it was to pop away from her but lined up to the window by Chloe. Before Chloe could stop her, Misao popped the cork and it hit the tainted glass before ricocheting off of it and landing promptly on Remy’s lap. It wasn’t the cork that had her panicked, however. Just as she suspected, the red liquid shot out apparently with the intent of ruining her costume. And it achieved to do just that. To the blonde’s dismay and horror, it landed in an unceremonious splat across her lap and sank into the expensive material.

She stared at it for a moment before she let out a little peeping sound to express her utter shock. Misao’s blue eyes were wide in shock and guilt. “Kami-sama… Chloe, sumimasen… really I’m so sorry&#33;” When she said that, movement was restored in the back seat area. Chloe began to fuss again and Remy watched wide-eyed as the two bickered about the incident. “Kenta-san, we have to make a detour to Hidori’s place. Chloe, don’t worry, Hidori-san has a lot of other costumes that are just as good as this one. I’m so sorry.”

Misao’s female companion looked disappointedly at her clothes. “I just feel bad that I can’t wear this… it was so pretty…”

“Don’t worry, this is a common design. I think it would be best to pick something else out anyway, just in case someone else has the same costume as you. I think a lot of the females will be planning to wear this kind of thing anyway… given that Aoshi-sama is a traditional man and a bachelor… no doubt they would do all in their power to impress him with their attachment to the Japanese culture…”

“You’re sure that this Hidori character will have something in her place? What if it doesn’t go with my hair?” Chloe began to panic again. “I don’t want to look like some wannabe type person… and I have to be in full costume&#33;”

“We can arrange it so that you have the full costume; don’t worry so much; Hidori-san is just great with these things... and just to set the record straight, Hidori-san is a man...”

The rest of the car ride to the shop was filled with panicked comments and reassurances. When they finally stopped, they both sighed in relief and jumped out, ushering Remy out with them as well. The boy hurried with the two older women, fascinated by their reactions to such a situation. His attention, however, was diverted once they stepped inside. The place was flooded with light and screamed posh. There were mannequins with different outfits and mirrors mounted on the walls. The place was had strange designs upon their walls where there were no mirrors and the ceiling was painted with angels, demons, gods and nymphs. It was a clash of cultures, yet they melded together in a glorious mesh. It was like walking into the fun house of a carnival… only for adults.

“Ah, Misao-chan, daijoubu?” A man’s voice cut into the tense group. “Oh, Kami-sama, what happened to your dress, dear?” he practically cried out when he saw Chloe’s borrowed kimono.

“It’s a wine spill… I’m afraid that I can’t go waltzing about wearing a wet kimono to a party, now can I?” she tried to kid around but she looked miserable about it.

“Hidori, we need another costume and a makeover that will fit it pronto. Do you have anything that could go well?”

“You know that I don’t like these last minute things, Misao-chan… but I’ll make it an exception…” the man smiled and glanced back at Chloe then began to scrutinize her. Something lit in his eyes and a full-fledged smile graced his lips. “Oh, my dear, you are going to look fabulous&#33;”

Taking her by the hand he tugged her along down the hall where she would change her appearance for the second time that night. Remy felt his spirits sink. He didn’t want to go through this process again. Giving a heaving sigh he moved to follow, but was stopped by Misao, who pulled him towards another direction. “Come on, it’ll be boring to watch her. Let’s go to the second floor. I hear they have a game room up there&#33;”

The child’s eyes grew animated and he squealed. Misao smiled as she guided him up to the level above. Well, Aoshi, everything is going as smoothly as you thought it would. Now we just need Lex Luthor to do his thing and it will all be set&#33;

~~ o0o ~~

Lex shifted in his costume as he rode up to the Kyoundai Towers. He had chosen to come as a wanted man of the west; his hairless head was covered by the cowboy black hat and his mouth and nose with a matching bandanna. His entire being for that matter was covered in black. He chose to look ominous and evil – but still inconspicuous amongst the crowds; able to slip into the shadows unseen. He felt bad-ass to start with as he was going undercover to monitor Chloe and Remy.

When he got out of his car and made his way up in the elevator, he felt the mischievous feeling return again. He knew what he was doing must have been stupid, but it was also fun at the same time. Couldn’t they cut him some slack? He knew how to have fun, too… even though this kind of fun was slightly warped. At the ding of the elevator his senses became alert and his eyes narrowed as the doors slid open to reveal an agglomeration of laughter and chattering.

And so my search begins for the gold amongst the bedrock…

To be continued...

okay so to save time, here&#39;s a picture of what Remy looks like.... only add with your imaginations the kodachi... btw, this is what Soujiro actually looks like:

Samurai Outfit

And the female in the picture has the outfit that Chloe is wearing:

Kimono

Vocabulary:

Daijoubu - Okay? (relatively informal)

So what do you guys think? -_-;; thank you to those who have given feedback&#33; very much appreciated... hope you continue to do so... it helps in urging me to write... hehe...

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar
    :biggrin: excelent stuff as always&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; more&#33; :yay:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information