+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Blessings (Completed: 15/07)(R)

NS Senior Member Senior Member autumngold's Avatar
    I really enjoyed reading your new chapter!! Thank you for having Lex and Chloe be on a first name basis!! I hope they get to spend some more alone time together!! I also can't wait for Aoshi and Lex's meeting!! Please update!! :chlexsign3:

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar
    Okay after this It'll take at least a week before my next update... Works piling up now that I've only got like... 6 days of Day 1s and Day 2s (each) left... ToT so scary! Anyway, yeah, here we go! Chapter 11... Feedback would be great! ^_^

Chapter 11

“The only reason why Remy kept on beating you was because there were only two people playing! The likeliness that he would get the good cards was high, leaving you with the crap cards.”

Lex and Chloe, who had to finish their dinner alone together, had begun to converse – though slowly at the beginning – during the main course. They found that the only subject that they were comfortable talking about was Remy and his habits and their little moments with him. As they ate their dessert, conversation turned to the events of that afternoon – prior to the little awkward incident.

“Well, then, the next time I play that particular game with him, I’ll make sure you’re there, too, to join in,” he replied with a smile tugging at his lips.

Chloe didn’t have any particular comment to counter that so she just looked at him and smiled back then turn to face her food again. The sudden ring of a cell phone had taken them both by surprise. Glancing back at her, Lex gave an apologetic look and got up to leave, taking out his phone in the process. All Chloe caught of the conversation was a greeting before she was left alone in the dining room. She turned back to the melting heap of the ice cream left in her bowl and she felt a loss of her appetite. It had gone with Lex.

He, at that time was hurriedly walking to his study where he could find momentary privacy. Much to his surprise – and disdain – it was Shinomori Aoshi. He didn’t need to ask for a name. How could he forget the way the man had so coldly brushed off Remy? He felt the irritation at his sudden intrusion after all these years begin to stir inside him.

“What do you want, Shinomori?” he asked brusquely.

“I want Takeshi… or as you like to call him, Remy,” Aoshi answered in a formal voice. “He is my nephew, after all.”

“Well, he’s my son –”

“You know, I find it funny that you only realized this only recently. The last time we met, you looked at the child as if it was a monster and got rid of it as soon as you could get the opportunity.”

“I didn’t see you making it a point to get him back either,” he shot back.

“That may be superficially, but the truth is, I always had a hand in keeping him safe. Why do you think he ended up with Gabe Sullivan? He was a good father, reputedly so, and a hard worker with a great capacity to love. He raised Miss Chloe Sullivan by himself, did he not? Speaking of the young Miss Sullivan, isn’t she quite the character? You know, considering she isn’t attached, I believe I would like to try a hand at courting her. She has such a good head on her shoulders, after all, and –”

“There’s no fucking way that you’re taking either Chloe or Remy away from me,” Lex growled into the phone. “They’re both –” He cut himself off and pursed his lips and breathed heavily to try to calm himself.

“They’re both what, Luthor? Yours?” There was a cold chuckle on Aoshi’s end. How he loved to toy with people’s weaknesses. “That’s a big leap, don’t you think? It’s only been a couple of weeks since they came into your hold and already you’re claiming them as yours. Does she know that you think of her that way?”

“How the hell do you know that they – you’re spying on me, you bastard,” Lex seethed, feeling his hands clench.

“Well, it took you long enough to figure out. I thought that you’d find out more sooner than later, but I guess I overestimated your perceptiveness.” There was a hint of amusement in his voice.

“Damn it, Shinomori, cut the crap and just tell me why you called.”

“I want to visit my nephew. I want to have him twice or thrice a week away from you and near me.” No joking there, Lex thought at the serious tone he was suddenly greeted with.

“Chloe won’t like it,” he said. “She’s always with him.”

“She can come, too. It would be my pleasure to spend the day with both of them.”

The way the Aoshi said it set his teeth on the edge. “You’ll have to speak with her on that, Shinomori.”

“Very well, put her on the line and I’ll speak with her now. I want this negotiation to be over and done with as soon as possible.”

“Fine, I’ll get her now,” Lex informed the man through gritted teeth. “Call back in five minutes. She’ll answer the phone.”

The grunt and sound of the dead line told him that he would. He stood for a moment, his blood boiling and his heart wrenching before he collected himself and began his search to find Chloe. As much as he didn’t want to, Aoshi had every right to the child… and the intrepid blonde residing with him as well. In a matter of minutes he found the two together in the library. She had taken a book he had recently bought for his son from the shelf – The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss – and was reading it to the boy, pointing at the pictures and using animated voices for the characters. He stayed by the doorway, watching them for a moment. They created such a beautiful picture that he hated to disturb it.

But the dark cloud of Shinomori’s phone call was hanging over him so he cleared his throat to make his presence known. They turned their heads to him and he nodded as a hello. Chloe in turn gave a tentative smile – still feeling awkward around him. It would soon pass, he thought to himself.

“Chloe, someone is going to call in a few minutes who would like to speak with you,” he informed her bluntly.

She cocked a brow. “Really? Who is it? Is it Pete?”

“Actually it’s a man named Aoshi Shinomori.” He waited a heartbeat. “He wants to talk to you about… Remy.”

“Okay… that’s quite strange. Why would he need to talk to me about him?”

He was just about to explain when the cell phone that he was holding began to play the tune to Dream Theatre’s ‘As I Am’, causing the people in the room to focus their eyes on the little device. The fact that he listened to such raunchy music surprised Chloe somewhat, but she found that it still fit him – different and edgy for a businessman. He first looked down at the LCD screen then at her with a grave look. It was Shinomori. Stonily, Lex, handed the phone to her and she took it with shaky fingers. Taking a deep breath, she clicked the answer button and brought the earpiece to her ear.

“Hello, Mr. Shinomori.”

Please, call me Aoshi, Chloe. She blinked at the familiarity in which he was approaching her.

“Um, okay… Aoshi.” She glanced up at Lex who’s eyes narrowed dangerously at her. She couldn’t stop the blush that stained her cheeks. “Will you please tell me what the meaning of this phone call is?”

Actually, it’s about Remy… and you. As the boy’s uncle, I find that I’m entitled to seeing him at least three times a week. Don’t you think so?

“I guess so… but why me as well?”

Well, for one, I’ve been informed that he doesn’t go anywhere without you… and also you intrigue me.

At that comment, her cheeks became a darker shade of red. It didn’t go unnoticed by Lex and even when he tried to keep a tight reign on his anger, it didn’t stop his hands from clenching into very tight fists. “Well I barely even know who you are,” she commented in what she hoped would be somewhat calm. “And we haven’t even met. What makes you believe that I’m as fascinating as you take me to be?”

A hunch, Chloe… and most of the time, my hunches are right. Now, will you allow me to spend time with both you and Remy for the three days of every week? I would very like to be a good influence on my nephew…

“Well, your intentions are very noble and you are entitled to your time with him, so I don’t see why not. When would you like us by?”

How does this weekend sound?

“I guess, it’s okay for Remy, but in my case, I won’t be much of a companion. I’ve got catch up work to do.”

That’s absolutely fine. You can still join us for meals and such. I’ll keep Remy distracted so don’t be afraid of distractions. I’ll be expecting the both of you at five in the evening this Friday. Is that okay with you?

“I think so. Let me just check with Lex.” Putting a hand over the mouthpiece, she turned to Lex. “He says that Remy and I stay with him for the weekend and that we be at his place at five p.m. on Friday.”

“I can’t stop you from going, Chloe,” he told her. “It’s really your choice.”

She bit her lip, turning the idea over in her head. Then, removing her hand she said into the phone, “It’s okay.”

Good, then it’s settled. I’ll see the both of you soon. I’ll send a car over to fetch you. Until then, Chloe; sayonara.

There was a click of the phones disconnecting and her ears met the drone of the dial tone then nothing. Silently, she handed the phone back to Lex, who took it with a closed look upon his face. “You know,” she began, “You could come with us.”

“No, that’s fine. You both have fun while you’re there… just a word of warning, though, Chloe: Aoshi Shinomori is known to be a notorious womanizer. Although he’s discreet, it’s still known amongst all of the business world of what he does.”

“Why are you so worried? I’ll be fine.”

“I’m just trying to look out for you. Someone ought to, after all. Why can’t it be me?”

“I don’t know,” she answered. “It just seems like a Pete or Clark thing to do. I never expected you to be like that.”

What if I’m acting that way out of jealousy? He was slightly startled that the voice in his head had actually suggested such a thing and pursed his lips in the possibility of such a thing from escaping his mind. “I just felt the need to warn you. Well,” he promptly said quickly. “I think I’ll go do some work before heading off to bed. Take care, the both of you. Good night.”

He turned at that point, not waiting for a response and left the library and headed back to his home office. Once inside he took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He, of course, had finished all of his work in the time left before dinner. His purposes for coming to this room was to escape the overwhelming need to tell her to stay instead of go to Aoshi’s place. When did this fondness for Chloe start? Did he always harbour some form of desire for her? He remembered meeting her for the first time and already finding her quite interesting. There was also her wall of weird and then their bouts of verbal judo that had drawn him to her. But it was merely a childish attraction at that time; she was only sixteen and he, twenty one. There was nothing sexual at all about their relationship and it was so sparse that they would meet that it ended up that they became mere acquaintances.

It had to be recently that he had grown to genuinely like this woman living with him. Just seeing her interacting with Remy, the looks of utter love and devotion on her face, made her seem so… wonderful. He wanted her to look at him like that; he that had lacked such looks when he was growing up in a world that was filled with deceit, lies, and betrayals; he that suffered the consequences of meteor exposure and been laughed at because of something that wasn’t his fault. Walking over to his desk, he sat down heavily on the leather cushioned seat dropped his head into his propped up hands, his eyelids drooping tiredly. Too much was happening in such a short span of time that has caused too much tension inside him. Would he be able to keep in stride with all the changes – both internal and external? He wasn’t sure…

~~ o0o ~~

When Remy was safely tucked in bed and asleep, Chloe sat in front of her lap top, hooked it up to the phone line and began a background check on Aoshi. Sure she knew a bit about the guy through the things she read in the newspapers, but there was more than what was in those articles that she needed to know. That was why she resorted to an old habit of hers: allowing her curiosity to lead the way. Page after page gave her general statistics and information on the company, but there was rarely anything on the net about the man himself. He really makes sure he looks clean… there was no way that he truly was, though, as every businessman was armed with something dirty.

She searched for two hours but to no avail. As she examined the last page for anything, she sighed and sat back tiredly. It was no use. The sudden trill of the lap top caught her attention. Someone had sent her a message, her eyes narrowed down at the screen name… Grey Storm. Chloe snorted. Must be some teenager looking for a chat mate. She scanned the message.

I figured your search would be dry.

Chloe frowned. Her fingers tapped the keypad to write a message back. Sunflower: Who is this? How do you know what I’m doing? After sending it, there was that few tense seconds of waiting. Her stomach twisted and she bit her lip nervously. Then the answer appeared.

Who I am is of no consequence. But how I know is because I’ve been watching everything you’ve been doing on the computer.

Chloe stiffened. This was not good. Everything she important was in this hard drive! Her work, her music… even her personal thoughts. She scrambled to type her reply. How much of my stuff have you seen? The same routine; she sent waited and read.

Just what you’ve been doing for the past two hours. Don’t worry; all the other files in your computer are safe from my prying eyes. However, perhaps I could be of some assistance to your… predicament.

No sooner had she finished reading the message, a file to be transferred was waiting to be accepted by her. The title read: Ice Blue Eyes. It was only a text document so there was no harm in reading it… She accepted. The file transferred easily from her unknown friend to her and she curiously, though at first hesitantly, opened the file. Before her eyes was the complete file on Aoshi Shinomori and the family. Chloe drew in a breath of amazement. She was jarred out of her awe by the sudden trill that sounded off a message.

All of the information there is true to the last drop. Enjoy, my intrepid reporter.

The certain use of that particular familiarity seemed to sound something off within her brain. With the excitement coursing through her, she quickly typed in a message. There was a smile on her face; one that showed realization and knowledge. Thank you… Lex.

The grey eyes that read off the message danced with mirth. Always the sharp one, Lex thought fondly. He knew he didn’t need to reply after that. He shut down his computer and walked out of his office to go to bed. His steps all the way back were light and most triumphant. Aoshi, step out of the way because Lex Luthor is here to stay.

TBC

:yay2: thanks to Jem! hehe... swift reply! yey thanks thanks thanks!

And also to all those who have reviewed! Been so encouraging and helpful!

BTW, here are the lyrics to As I Am by Dream Theater:

Don't
    Tell me what's in
    Tell me how to write
    Don't tell me how to win
    This fight
    Isn't your life
    It isn't your right
    To take the only thing that's
    Mine
    Proven over time
    It's over your head
    Don't try to read between the
    Lines
    Are clearly defined
    Never lose sight of
    Something you believe in

Takin' in the view from
    The outside
    Feeling like the underdog
    Watching through the
    Window I'm on the outside
    Living like the underdog

I've been trying
    To justify you
    In the end
    I will just defy you

To those who understand
    I extend my hand
    To the doubtful I demand
    Take me as I am

Not under your command
    I know where I stand
    I won't change to fit your plan
    Take me as I am

Still
    Running up hill
    Swimming against the current
    I wish I weren't so
    Fucked
    Feels like I'm stuck
    Lost in a sea of mediocrity
    "Slow down,
    You're thinking too much
    Where is your soul?"
    You can not touch
    The way I
    Play
    Or tell me what to say
    You're in the way
    Of all that I believe in

Takin' in the view from
    The outside
    Feeling like the underdog
    Watching through the
    Window I'm on the outside
    Living like the underdog

I've been wasting my breath
    On you
    Open minds will descend
    Upon you

To those who understand
    I extend my hand
    To the doubtful I demand
    Take me as I am

Not under your command
    I know where I stand
    Take me as I am

To those who understand
    I extend my hand
    To the doubtful I demand
    Take me as I am

Not under your command
    I know where I stand
    Take me as I am

katspell
    Just a Guest!
    *big sigh* oh this is so much fun I just loved the:
    my intrepid reporter
    line. He better not let her find out that he is really thinking of her as his though.

On a side note I take it Lex just doesn't want a huge scandle or something and that is why he's letting them go, legally he could totaly tell the other guy to take a hike... hmm

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    :clap:

Hope :chlexsign2:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

I love how Lex was smart enough to figure out what Chloe was going to do and then helped her!! I'm glad that Lex is starting to realize his feelings for her!! Will Remy be safe with his uncle? I think Lex should go too, just to keep Remy safe of course!! :biggrin: Thank you for the great chapter!! :chlexsign2:

Sexified ChLex Addict Senior Member Blackberry's Avatar
    Yey, chapter 12 is done! Not much on the pairing, but more on the plot development. Yes, I know it's taking so bloody long for the two to get together, but I need to establish more of the problems that they'll be facing... don't worry, it's all going to come together

Big thank you to Jem for beta-reading this one!

FEEDBACK! yes, that would be nice too....

******** End of Author's Note ********

Chapter 12

The halls were momentarily devoid of human activity. Being nine o’clock in the morning, it was unusual to have such lack of bustling about in the Shinomori household. The sound of an automatic door sliding open broke the silence. Someone rushed into the hallway, the feet thumping loudly against the wooden panels of the floor. Raven hair freed from the confines of a tie flowed behind the woman it belonged to. She came to an abrupt stop, gasping as she slid across the ground before coming to a halt. Her light blue eyes regarded the door to her right; her breathing heavy and her hear thudding from anxiousness.

She placed her hand on the identifier, waiting for its approval. The previously red light just below the contraption turned green and the doors slid open. She hurried inside and looked around, biting her lip as she did.

Aoshi-nii?” she called out. “Dokoni iru? I need to ask you about something.”

There was a grunt from the confines of the living room and she walked over to where she heard the sound, finding her brother there. He was seated in the middle of the room, facing the blue-tinted window. Upon her appearance, he turned and regarded her with a warm look. There was rarely a smile upon his face, so one had to watch his eyes. This was one of those occasions, however, that he chose to allow such mirth to show upon his lips.

Kaoru-chan,” he greeted almost teasingly as he neared her and gave her a brotherly hug. “Nan dai?”

“Is he coming?” she asked in a faint voice, looking up at her older sibling’s face.

Aa.”

To see his only sister’s eyes light up with joy was one of the greatest gifts he could ask for. After Megumi gave up her life, he dedicated his entire existence to the welfare of his immediate family. Their father had been too immersed in the business to really care about his family. The only time he would notice was when they were threatening his reputation… like the time that Megumi confronted them with the two year old boy…

Now that Shinomori Senior was gone, Aoshi was able to do exactly what he pleased – and that was to keep his siblings and his mother happy and the business flourishing. Kaoru, just over twenty-two had a smile of joy on her face at that moment and he in turn felt the happiness surge within him as well.

“Oh, Aoshi-nii, that’s so wonderful! Why aren’t we getting ready for his arrival? Come on; call on everyone to fix the place up!” She began to fuss when he placed a placating hand on her shoulder. “Nani?”

“Relax, ne-chan,” he replied with an amused voice. “He’s coming later – five this afternoon.”

Her posture slumped and she gave him a sheepish smile. “Gomene, you know I tend to get a bit too enthusiastic about things.” Her eyes shined once again. “Oh, but the boy, Remy… he’s actually coming! This is so – indescribably – I don’t have any words to show you my happiness.”

“Just that look on your face is enough to tell me. There is no need for words that you need to say.”

Patting her on the cheek, he walked by her to have some tea. Kaoru, needing something to do to keep the urge of over-preparing for Remy’s coming, followed her big brother. She smiled to herself and repressed the little giggle that was bubbling in side. Her nephew was coming… and was finally going to meet his real family.

~~ o0o ~~

Misao, walked stiffly to Luthor’s office. The staff rarely got called upon for anything other than fixing dinner, driving somewhere. She wasn’t sure what to expect from the man. She knew that she had been acting exactly the way any normal staff member would act. She made it a point to look inconspicuous. She never slipped up… not on an important assignment. And to Aoshi-sama, this was important.

As she neared the room, she inhaled a shuddering breath of air. There was only one way to find out what this was about. Somewhat hesitantly, she knocked on the door, waiting for the verbal consent muffled on the other side. Upon entering, and poking her head in, the bald man at the desk smirked. “Ah, Mimi; please, step inside,” he invited motioning his hand to the empty seat across him.

She didn’t like the look he gave her. There was arrogance there, though it was hidden behind a veil of aloofness that he placed between him and the rest of the world. She silently wondered if he would always be like this – forever trapped; a solitary being against the universe. Misao blinked with her brown-contacts eyes regarding him in what she hoped seemed like mild curiosity. In truth, she was actually fearful. Sure, she had an idea of how sedated the man could be, but his wrath was horrific. She heard talk amongst the rest of the staff when they thought she wasn’t listening.

“You know,” the man noted – slicing through her thoughts. “Remy and Chloe are quite close to you, I’ve noticed. They aren’t really like that to the rest of the staff. Why is that?”

Casting her eyes down, she tried to look sheepish. “Well, I – I guess it’s because I look more approachable than the others, sir.”

The cluck that responded had Misao frowning. “I think there’s more to you than you’re telling me… no, I know there’s more… Makimachi-san.”

Here eyes widened and flew up to his in disbelief. The steely gaze that stared back at her had her pursing her lips. Well, no use in holding the whole façade. She brought a finger to her eye and carefully removed the contact to reveal the angry blue that was hidden the whole time. She saw as a muscle worked at his jaw. She gave him a fake smile as she flicked the soft cover to the side. “Well, then, you’ve found me out. Am I allowed to ask how?”

“Shinomori seemed to know a lot about what was happening around the house… and let’s just say that you were easy to spot as the ‘not’ after a bit of observing.” He leaned forward and cast a glowering look at her. “What have you told him? I want the truth or so help me, I will make sure that your life becomes a hellhole.”

The woman across from him raised an amused brow. “Oh, really? Do you think you can actually accomplish such a feat?”

To prove him wrong, she jumped out of her seat and reached beneath her skirt and unsheathed eight kunai – small daggers, but deadly and effective. Each one was nestled in the space between two curled fingers – difficult to do; showing her experience with the weapons. Her lips changed into an angry sneer as she deliberately threw the four on one hand at him. Lex, who was not able to react quickly enough, felt the rush of air and heard the pointed blades stab into the back of his chair with a precise snikt sound. Her eyes – fired with anger and triumph at the same time – flashed at him in a deadly blue.

“You underestimate my abilities, Luthor,” she growled. “I can very well kill you now.”

However, to her irritation, he didn’t look phased. Misao felt her anger grow a rise up a notch when she saw the small smirk lift the sides of his lips. “You wish.” That was the last straw. Letting out a war cry she threw her remaining kunai straight at his face – and watched disbelievingly as it passed right through him and into the padded chair. Her breathing grew erratic and her eyes flew around the room. “You cowardly bastard!” she yelled furiously, her bangs thrashing around her face at her jerky movements.

The image of Lex laughed. “You, in turn, underestimate my abilities as well, Makimachi-san. You think I’m ignorant enough to believe you don’t know some form of defence?” The illusion of him sat back and the kunai moved so that it seemed to be nestled comfortably in his head. “Now, tell me how much you know and what you told Shinomori… and I will let you go freely. No strings attached… except for the ones that Shinomori has placed.”

The room was dead of sound, save for the laboured breaths that came from Misao. Pursing her lips together, she righted herself, stiff and formidable as she stared stonily ahead; looking at the mirage of Lex Luthor – powerful and untouchable. “You must keep your word. I will personally make it a point to kill you if you do otherwise, Luthor. Don’t doubt it.”

“You have my word.”

There was a heartbeat of a pause before she chose to speak, her voice sounding sullen and monotone. “I was sent here to keep a close eye on Remy. That is all that I know and he is all was willing to keep track of. Aoshi-sama didn’t want me physically closer to you than that. His father had done that to his daughter and that got her killed. If you question me any further on the subject I will be thoroughly insulted.”

“Well,” the mirage said after a moment. “I still have one question, but it it’s in regards to your stay here. I suppose that you’ll take your leave after our conversation?”

“No.”

“No?” he asked. “So you still want to work here?”

“I didn’t say that. I just said that I won’t be leaving. However, considering my cover has been blown, I will stay, not as a servant –” the word was spat out leaving a funny aftertaste in her mouth (she really hated the word.) “– but as a guest of sorts. I still don’t trust you with the boy… or Chloe. You are still dangerous in many rights. To have them at such close proximity to you would be stupid for anyone to do.”

“I assure you, Makimachi-san, that I am in no mental instability that will put them in any danger. I have gotten over my temporary insanity – which I’m sure most of the world refers it to as now – and that the two are in great care. I will see to it that they are protected.”

“It isn’t you, personally, that I believe you are dangerous for,” she replied in a dead-panned tone. “It is that, which follows you around that is the threat.”

The sudden clap of a closing book behind her caused her to turn away from the desk. There, walking towards her was Lex Luthor holding a thick hard-bound book. His eyes were narrowed on her in their hard grey hue. “I’m aware that people are trying to kill me. But they are rookies; all of them.”

The woman before him shook her head. “There is a force out there that is far more powerful than you can ever imagine. And it’s growing – even now; its forces are building to new heights. No one – but Aoshi-sama and Himura-san – can stop him.”

“You make this all sound like some apocalyptic war is about to happen. How do you know so much?” he raised a sceptical brow at her and held the book in one hand at his side. The Art of War, it read on the spine.

“I have my sources,” she answered aloofly, moving away from him and towards the now static illusion of Lex where, on his chair her beloved kunai were impaled. Expertly, she retrieved them and placed them in their small leather sheaths underneath her ridiculous uniform. “I am not in a position to disclose information on that to anyone other than those I work for.”

“When it concerns the safety of Remy and Chloe, it very damn well will be given to me,” he growled.

She shook her head. “You will have to ask Aoshi-sama for that, Luthor.” She turned to go, steering clear of his grabbing range. “I’ll transfer my things to the room beside Chloe and Remy’s. Ja, Luthor.”

Lex’s eyes, which had followed her out the door, were trained upon the empty doorway, the frustration burning in their grey depths.

~~ o0o ~~

“Chloe, you have been doing that for the past three hours, non-stop. I think it’s time that you set that book down and took a break.”

Startled, the blonde looked up from her textbook to the towering form of Aoshi who stood before her. Truth be told, she hadn’t noticed the time passing. There was barely any time for her to finish reading and writing and making those damned essays that her focus was absolute and on what she needed to concentrate on. She looked about her, noting the scattered many pieces of papers she had used to write her notes down on and raised a brow. She hadn’t thought it possible to accomplish so much. She hadn’t been interrupted, either. Not once during the time she had been at the Shinomori household had anyone disturbed her.

“Was I really working for that long? It seemed like I just got her a moment ago. Damn, now I’ve lost my groove.”

The Japanese man chuckled. “Well, now that you’re roused from your work, I think a meal would be the best. Come, Takeshi – I mean Remy is waiting at the dining room already.”

“You gave him a Japanese name?” she asked getting up, slightly wobbly but stretching to get her limbs warmed up.

“Well, I always thought it was appropriate that he had a suitable name and Takeshi was what I came up with. Kaoru-san – my sister and the one that –”

“Yes, the one who watched Remy while he was with my –” she choked slightly “– my dad…”

“Aa,” he murmured, walking towards the door to the library she had been escorted to. “She prefers to call him Remy, though. I think it comes from habit; two years of watching the boy being called the same foreign name… well, you know how it is.”

She nodded as they walked together. Her mind wandered, unwilling to keep it on the thoughts of her father’s death. It was still a sensitive subject. She noted how strange the set-up was; how unlike Lex’s the place. The house itself was very large and spacious, like Lex’s mansion, but it had a traditional-futuristic feel to it. The doors they passed through slid to the side like a traditional Japanese door, but the entire thing was a blurry glass panel and stainless metal frame instead of paper and wood. The table she had been working at was low and the seat was actually a pillow on which she sat, cross-legged upon, but it was made so that it looked more modern and felt more comfortable than it probably would have been. The art that was wispy and oriental was set on plain white walls.

They made their way through the apparently endless hallways, with their feet shoeless, and finally came to a particular door where Aoshi had his hand scanned. The doors slid open where Remy and another older boy had been squabbling over something. Upon hearing the quiet hiss of the doors opening, the two froze and looked at the two new-comers. Chloe stepped through first (at Aoshi’s insistence) and smiled warmly at the two boys. The dining room itself was cosy and small – spacious enough to fit the same amount of bodies that the table needed and for the people to move relatively freely. The window on the wall ran along the entire length and revealed a beautiful Japanese garden that was dimly lit by a few lights. Her eyes settled upon the two boys and noted that the older one, unlike the rest of the Shinomori family, had brown eyes – but they still held the same intensity as the rest of them.

The boy scrambled up to stand and bowed to her respectfully. “Good evening, Miss Sullivan,” he greeted in perfect English. “I am Shinomori Yahiko, Aoshi-san’s brother.”

“Well, I’m very pleased to meet you,” she replied, with an impressed look on her face. She was unaccustomed to such manner from a child and to have it happen was very intriguing.

Yahiko righted himself and looked up at her with a smile planted on his face then turned back and sat down at one of the places at the table. Remy had made his way to Chloe and at that moment clung to her leg. She laughed a bit and lifted him into her arms.

She was just about to ask him how everything was when suddenly Aoshi’s hand clamped over both their mouths. Yahiko jumped up and ran over to him silently his face alarmed. He removed his hands from Chloe and Remy’s mouth and motioned for them to be silent. The room was still for a moment. Not a sound was heard; only the ringing silence. The breaking of glass came unexpectedly and Chloe shielded Remy from any shards that may come in their direction. Aoshi pushed the three out of the door and unsheathed a pair of kodachi that Chloe hadn’t noticed had been at his side until that moment.

Fearfully she called out his name but his eyes were trained on the lone intruder, whom he knew personally: Soujirou Seta. And the door to the dining room hissed closed behind him.

To be continued...

Vocab time!

(name)-nii - brother (name)

Doko ni iru - where are you?

(name)-chan - honorific for younger individuals

Nan dai - What is it?

Aa - Yes

Nani - what?

Gomene - Sorry (informal)

kunai - small dagger

Ja - '(see you) later' (informal)

How intense!! I loved Lex's meeting with Misao!! I think they both underestimated the other!! Will Aoshi be able to protect Chloe and Remy? Why did he invite them there knowing that it put them in danger!! Thank you for the update!! This is a really, really good story!! I can't wait to find out what you have planned for your next chapter!! :chlexsign4:

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    More :

Hope
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

katspell
    Just a Guest!
    this story is soooo good. I'm loving it. Whats going on at the house???? Update soon!

NS Full Member
    i cant wait to see lex's reaction when he finds out.....heads will roll

great fic

love lea
    xxx

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information