+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promises and Other Such Lies (Completed) PG

Promises and Other Such Lies (Completed) PG

Title: Promises and Other Such Lies
    Author: HumbugGirl
    Email: humbuggirl@hotmail.com
    URL: http://www.geocities.com/oddfiction or http://www.livejournal.com/~humbuggirl
    Fandom: Smallville/Batman
    Pairing: Chloe/Bruce, Chloe/Lex, Lex/Other
    Rating: PG
    Summary: Future fic. Not all is perfect in the perfect life.
    Spoilers: None
    Disclaimer: Smallville and Batman aren’t mine. They belong to someone who is a hell of a lot richer and clever than me.
    Author’s Note: Most definitely angst. No prequel, no sequel rules counts as well. This is a one shot. Unbeta’d. Apologies if there are any mistakes.

Her heals were clicking too loudly on the tiled floor beneath them. As she weaved her way across the restaurant floor behind the head water it seems like the amount of noise she’s making should be a secondary concern to the fact she’s even in the room at all. Somewhere in Chloe’s mind however the two things had become inseparably connected until she finds herself wondering whether taking her shoes off to lessen the noise they’re making would not somehow make her disappear.

Shoulders back, head held high Chloe Wayne reminds herself that such ideas are stupid; she hasn’t been invisible since she married Bruce more than ten years before and that situation was not going to change at any point in the near future although the man himself might be changed for the one at the table she’s approaching.

Her breath hitches. If Bruce should ask later why she was having lunch with Lex Luthor, not that he’s likely to as things happened to stand at that moment, then Chloe knew she could pull the ‘because he’s an old friend’ card in spite of the fact that she knows for a fact her husband is half convinced his billionaire contemporary was as evil as evil could be. He’s was always so good and understanding about that fact even though Chloe knows within herself that the ‘old friends’ dinners she’s been sharing with Lex for the past four years are more than that alone and the trip she took to Mexico for ‘sometime with the girls’ last year was not that at all.

He’s really very understanding, her husband is.

Grey blue eyes watch her steadily as she slides on the chair the waiter has held for her. Feeling her companions gaze on her Chloe makes the effort to put an indifferent, almost bored, expression onto her features. It’s not very convincing but Chloe knows it will make Lex smile and that’s what she really wants to see; not the stoic business face he’s been showing her ever since she arrived at the table. Indeed when she looks up from the place setting he is smiling at her and Chloe can’t help but return the gesture.

In retrospect she knows all of this, her affair, her choice of Lex to be her co-conspirator, began in the most improbable of ways. All it took was a society luncheon, the type of thing she always tried to avoid and always seemed to get talked into at last minute and a chance encounter at said luncheon with the newly made Mrs Lex Luthor – otherwise known as Darcy Rayne-Luthor. Why the other woman was in Gotham when the Luthor family hardly ever shifted out of Metropolis in those days was beyond Chloe but one moment the small blonde reporter had been stood in a hallway after ringing the doorbell, slightly wet from the stormy Gotham day outside with her security team standing a few metres away and the next a leggy brunette was before her with a broad grin on her face.

“Darcy Rayne-Luthor,” the woman said. “You must be Chloe Wayne. Emilia says sorry she couldn’t get the door herself but she’s battling with the twins at the moment.”

At that moment one of the twins in question dashed towards the door and Chloe stooped to collect him before he could escape into the corridor.

What had followed had been an immensely long afternoon during the course of which Chloe had tended to find herself elected child carer of the women who had brought their assortment of overweight, effected, spoilt and maladjusted children along – only serving to fuel the blonde reporters own fears of what her children might be like when she and Bruce decided it was time to extend their family. The only interruption to this trend was the occasional conversation that Darcy tried to have with her about Smallville which had left Chloe with the stark realisation that she probably knew more about Lex than Darcy did. On reflection Chloe had surmised that the last point probably was not that unusual considering that the newlyweds had only known each other for a matter of months both before and during marriage.

Her largest impression of the afternoon however had been how happy she had been to get away from the insipid socialites even though she knew there was every chance that going home meant finding no company but her baby boy Daniel and Alfred. It wasn’t that she disliked talking to Alfred only that she would rather that it had been Bruce who was there to greet her instead of being off playing superhero and then coming home and pretending that he had been working on a last minute business deal.

It was amazing the number of business emergencies that had popped up over the years which just happened to coincide with the appearance of a certain bat signal I the skies above Gotham.

That was why when the telephone in her study had rung that night Chloe had been shocked to find that it a) wasn’t her editor calling to tell her there was another Batman related story or b) Bruce ringing to let her know he was almost ready to come home. Instead when she had lazily answered the phone with a, “Chloe Wayne here, what’s the what?” the only thing she heard in reply was a chuckle and an all too familiar voice saying, “For some reason I always thought you’d keep your maiden name.”

It was fair to say her heart had leapt into her mouth from surprise more than anything. When she didn’t say anything the voice on the other end said, “Chloe?”

She forced herself to relax, leaning back into her chair. “Lex Luthor, however did you get this number?”

“Everything’s available for a price.”

“Then I suppose my next question should be, why are you ringing me?”

“You met Darcy today.” It was a statement that was in desperate need of an explanation.

“I did.”

“She mentioned having spoken to you and it occurred to me we haven’t seen or even spoken to each other in a while.

In eight years Chloe thought but held her tongue to stop her from saying it aloud. “Well you see Lex, I kind of don’t need to interview you anymore.”

“Of course not,” he responded after a pause. “You have you bat stories now. I must say I’m impressed. I’ve never seen a journalist who managed to stay so confined to one area of the news; first freaks in Smallville and now freaks in Gotham.”

Chloe had to bite her lip as the unintended insult rattled down the telephone to her along with what she suspected was an intended one. “Its news,” she managed between gritted teeth.

“And I’m not?”

She could almost hear the smirk down the line. “Lex you’ve been news since the day you were born. However you live in Metropolis and I live in Gotham and the temptation to get blown off from yet another interview with you is not so strong that I feel any desire to run across the country for it to happen.”

“I’m in Gotham now,” he announced causing Chloe to raise her eyebrows in surprise. “And I promise that if you still want that interview then you’ll get it this time.”

It was too tempting an offer for her to rest and Lex knew it. Writing about the freaks of Gotham was all well and good, it was exciting and interesting but there was a part of Chloe that longed to finally finish the interview she had started so long ago. And that was why two days later the two sat down to coffee in the lobby of Lex’s hotel – neutral ground both had insisted on – and before Chloe entirely knew what was happening she had her interview and an entirely unexpected impression of just how stark Lex’s life was. The frightening thing was she half knew that he realised how dissatisfied with her life she was at that moment in time and in Lex’s hands such knowledge was dangerous for all involved.

The problem was he had not made it seem dangerous just… natural.

Two weeks later they met up again for coffee and a week after that Lex just happened to be in town for a meeting which was postponed so they spent the better part of the day together just talking about the old days. Then two weeks after that Chloe was sent to Metropolis on a story about how one of the freaks that had plagued Gotham back when she had first been married to Bruce had moved there and after an uneasy confrontation with her cousin Lois and Clark during which both had tried to convince her Lex was a crime boss she had met up with said evil genius and gone out to dinner with him. An irate phone call from Lois had followed the next day when pictures of the pair were printed in the Daily Planet’s society pages and Chloe had snapped saying, “Look I know he’s not squeaky clean; I’ve always known it and to be honest I just don’t care.”

Slamming down the telephone handset Chloe had stared at the wall for what felt like an eternity wondering whether she meant it. Could she honestly be friends with a man who was growing increasingly maladjusted to function as a good citizen in every day life and be married to a man who abhorred such beings and in his own quite frankly fucked up way tried to chase them from the face of the planet? It wasn’t an easy question to answer, especially since the last thing she had said to Lex the night before was a promise to stay a day longer in Metropolis and meet up with him again during it.

It hurt like hell when she let herself back into the mansion two days later than she had said she would be to find Bruce stood there with baby Daniel in his arms waiting to greet her knowing that she had been enjoying another man’s company.

“Have a nice time?” he husband asked and the look in his eyes when she dared to face them was enough for Chloe to know he knew exactly what she had been up to. The next few minutes during which Alfred had relieved Bruce of his precious bundle and backed out of the room had been some of the hardest of Chloe’s life as she only just managed to hold back a flood of tears and pushed herself into Bruce’s arms where it felt like nothing could ever go wrong again.

That in itself, Chloe would later reason, was one of the problems in their relationship, when Bruce was there, looking at her with warm dark eyes and features that couldn’t help but show he loved her Chloe would not have been anywhere else in the world. In those moments Bruce was her soulmate, the one being who could draw such feelings out of a heart that had been trampled on and battered throughout the years. But when he wasn’t there… in those moments she was cold and instead of the love he sparked to life in her heart there was nothing but a lonely wasteland where she would wonder whether this wasn’t the hour that she would hear on the news that Batman had been killed. And every time that thought entered her mind Chloe would shudder and have to fight the urge to curl herself up into a ball and cry.

That one singular fact was the reason why when Lex next called her Chloe agreed to go to dinner with him even knowing that Bruce would certainly find out one way or another that she had been the other billionaire.

Two, three meals later – she had never been able to give in and call them dates as they surely were – Chloe had finally relented and with an air of acceptance that it was inevitable she had not rolled her eyes at Lex when he had suggested they go back to his room for an after dinner drink. Safe in the knowledge that Daniel was safely tucked up in bed at home and that it almost a certainty that Bruce was out being his alter ego Chloe had followed Lex up to his suite and admitted to herself that it was what she needed.

Occasionally over the years since that first night Chloe would spare although for poor Darcy Rayne-Luthor who died mysteriously only two years into her marriage or she would cast an eye towards Metropolis and her old friends living there under supposed tyranny of Lex’s less than honest business dealings and she would sigh and admit to herself that what she was doing was wrong. It wasn’t until the birth of her second son, William, though and the look on Bruce’s face as her lifted the delicate little boy – so much unlike his sturdy older brother – into his arms and accepted him as his own flesh and blood even though they both knew even if they would never admit it that the child probably wasn’t his that she decided to end things with Lex. The break had been short however as the man she loved and loathed for what he did for her taunted her by making plans to marry her dark haired reporter cousin from Metropolis and Chloe, finding herself appalled at the idea, went back to him.

She wasn’t certain at what point she had started to believe a life with Lex would be better than the life of near constant worry she had with Bruce. She kept waiting for the dark knight of Gotham to hang up his bat’s wings or to pass them on to someone else and call his work a job well done. It never happened though; even after he spent nearly a week unconscious after being thrown from a high rise building and at some point Chloe knew it had become too much even as Lex seemed to sense the change in her.

“Leave him. Don’t put yourself through it anymore Chlo’,” he said one night as they lay in bed together.

She hated him for saying it; for making her face up to the decision that had been so long in coming. Climbing out of bed she had stared down as his pale hairless form as he watched her in return and vowed not to be weak any longer, eventually leaving his hotel suite without saying a word.

The words had followed her however and when she had arrived home to find Bruce was still out even though it was past two in the morning they had nagged at her until Chloe found herself wondering whether Lex didn’t have a point. She was still lying awake thinking about it two hours later when Bruce had stepped into the room with his wrist tapped and a thoughtful expression on his features. He seemed to know instinctively she was awake and sitting on the edge of the bed with his back to her he said, “At heart I’m a selfish man; the idea of you leaving me nearly kills me.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” Chloe said softly.

“Yes you are,” he answered, head bowed and the meaning all too apparent.

“I love you.”

“You love him.”

“I need him,” she countered. “It’s a different thing entirely but just as…”

“Important?”

“Yes.” She paused then shifted going up onto her knees and resting her face against his back. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. Just promise me you won’t sink to his level.”

He turned as he spoke and Chloe found herself looking into the mysterious eyes she had fallen for so long ago. “I promise,” she whispered and the breath that accompanied her words brushed over him so strongly that barely a second later Chloe found herself in his arms for the last time.

The next day in the restaurant Chloe looked Lex in the eye across the table and waited for him to speak even as she knew what he would say. Emotion flickered over his face, the corner of his mouth turning up into a characteristic smirk even as he said, “Welcome home, Chloe.”

THE END

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    Wow. That was heartbreaking and angsty and wonderful. I loved it.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Nice job . :
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Escapeism Artist Senior Member asharnanae's Avatar
    : that was really lovely. wrenching, but lovely. It reflecys the twist and turns of life well, and I enjoyed every word! :worship2:

I never knew exactly wat to expect when i read your fic; i just knew that it was gonna b a good one.

this is really heartbreaking, yet, i find myself compelled to read it. i really feel bad for bruce, losing his love....

PHD in Procrastination Senior Member vardaquareien's Avatar
    That was angsty and heart-wrenching and yet at the same time it was incredibly sweet in a strange way. Really well written. It was a one-off and yet it was totally complete within itself. Well done.

That was angsty but wonderful and lovely at the same time. Great job.

Duchess Gonzo
    all i can say is DAM!

that was a well written, brilliant story.

Excellent story! I loved all the darkness and angst.

Fantastic job!

Wow...this was such a touching, intuitive story. what I particularly like is your handle on how the two men could mean two very different things: love and need. This is such a fine distinction that most don't understand. You've handled it beautifully.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information