+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Game (PG-13) (complete)

Dangerous Game (PG-13) (complete)

Title: Dangerous Game
    Author: Not An Addict
    Rating: We’ll say PG-13 for…um…imagery, and the occasional naughty word
    Category: General
    Pairing: Chloe/Lex. Is there any other pairing? Answer: none worth writing about.
    Spoilers: I sure hope not, because I can’t find any
    Summary: A trip to the theater on Chloe’s birthday adds a layer to Chloe’s and Lex’s relationship. Slight romance/friendship with a whole lot of UST. Remember: UNRESOLVED sexual tension. Nothin’s actually gonna happen here, kiddos.
    Disclaimer: I don’t own any of this, except Arthur Rumsfeld and any of the other random people you don’t recognize. Much as I wish I owned both Lex Luthor and Jekyll & Hyde, the nice men in white say that I don’t. Maybe someday they’ll let me out of this padded room . . .
    Author’s Note: Ah, the one that started it all. This was actually the first fic I started but it kind of came in fits and starts for a while, so I ended up writing a few other stories while I was waiting for this one to completely form. I was intending this as the beginning to another fic, but the more I wrote the more I felt that it was its own story, so I decided to let it stand alone. The future of what was intended to be the sequel is hazy, but it may get written someday. Let me know if you’d like to see some kind of a follow-up. For those poor, easily confused souls (like myself), the first chapter is from Chloe’s POV, the second is from Lex’s, and the third is from both. And I didn’t know when Chloe’s birthday was, so I decided it was in October. I hope you enjoy.

LUCY:
    I feel your fingers
    Cold on my shoulder -
    Your chilling touch,
    As it runs down my spine.
    Watching your eyes
    As they invade my soul -
    Forbidden pleasures
    I'm afraid to make mine.

The leather seats of the Jaguar squished pleasantly as Chloe shifted in her seat. Normally she would have made some kind of snarky comment about how the seats alone had probably cost more than the house her father, Lana and she shared. But she was preoccupied at the moment with thoughts of that evening, trying to sort out her feelings.

Chloe dropped her bookbag by the stairs and walked into the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee. Here she was, seventeen years old today, and not a single person was there to help her celebrate her birthday. Her father had left for Denver a few days ago on a last-minute business trip. Clark had to help his father vaccinate their cattle herd before the really cold weather set in—her mind boggled that one of her friends could actually legitimately use that excuse. Pete had gotten the flu, and because most of the staff at the Talon had caught the same bug, Lana would be working late. ‘Well, at least it’s Friday,’ she thought. ‘We can always do something this weekend.’ At the sound of the doorbell, Chloe jumped up. ‘Maybe someone made it over after all.’ The last thing she expected when she opened the door was a deliveryman standing there with an envelope and an expensive-looking box.

“You Chloe Sullivan?”

Chloe nodded slowly. “Yeah, that’s me.”

The man grinned and held out an electronic clipboard. “Happy Birthday. Sign in the window, please.”

Scrawling her signature with the stylus clipped to the side, Chloe glanced at the emblem on the man’s uniform. A line sketch of the Roman god Mercury, winged shoes and all, was stitched above the words Mercury Messenger Service, Metropolis. ‘Metropolis? Why am I getting something from Metropolis?’ She knew it wasn’t from her dad—he’d given her a new case for her laptop before he left. Pondering, she handed the clipboard back and took the box and envelope in return.

Once she closed the door, she brought the items into the kitchen and set the box on the table. She turned the envelope over in her hands, wondering whom it was from—the back showed only the words, “Ms. Sullivan.” When she spotted the seal holding the envelope closed, she realized she should have known. Who else ever called her that? She scanned the raised initials several times before snapping back to normal.

“Get a grip, Chloe,” she muttered to herself. “It’s not like it’s going to bite you.” Even so, her hands weren’t quite steady as she ripped open the expensive paper.

Her eyebrows raised at the elegant scrawl she recognized as Lex Luthor’s own handwriting. So the resident billionaire had taken the time to actually write the note himself. Interesting. As she scanned over the words, her eyes widened slightly. Her gaze was drawn to the box still sitting on the kitchen table; slowly she walked over to it and drew the lid off. She felt like her eyes were going to pop out of her head as she lifted the silvery blue silk out of the box. Slightly dazed, she read the formal-sounding note again.

{ Ms. Sullivan,
    In honor of your birthday I would like to invite you to an evening at the Metropolis Playhouse for the touring production of “Jekyll &Hyde”. The show begins at seven-thirty, so I’ll arrive at your house by four; should you choose to decline I will understand, although I certainly hope you will accept my invitation. Please accept the contents of the box as a birthday present regardless.

Sincerely,
    Lex Luthor }

Chloe’s love affair with Broadway musicals was one she kept well hidden. A coincidence, then? If it had been any other show, perhaps. But the odds of picking her favorite one? She thought it over, and she couldn’t remember ever mentioning anything about the show to anyone. How could he have found out, then? As soon as she posed the question she rolled her eyes. He was a Luthor; he could find out anything he wanted to. And then it really hit her—Lex Luthor was inviting her to the theater. Immediately, her journalistic mind began hunting for possible angles. What did he want? How did she play into it? Try as she might, though, she wasn’t able to come up with an answer.

Maybe he wanted to talk about her meteor theory again. But why would he bother to take her all the way to Metropolis? Easier to just visit her at the Torch offices like he had last time—it’s not as if she required buttering up to discuss that particular topic. Maybe he felt guilty for having sent her father away when it was her birthday. Well, that made sense, even if it was slightly bizarre to consider a Luthor having a conscience.

Even so, this didn’t seem to be a satisfactory motive for his actions, and it made her nervous to . . . wait a minute, nervous? She bristled. It wasn’t like she was some cheerleading bimbo—she was Chloe Sullivan. She didn’t back down from a challenge; she could cajole, press, or intimidate information out of just about anyone; she confronted meteor-mutated, insane people with disturbing frequency; and she certainly wasn’t going to be intimidated by some pretty-boy billionaire. Besides, she thought, grinning wickedly, maybe she could talk him into another interview while she was at it. Glancing at the note again, she felt herself waver towards indecisiveness, but shook it off. If nothing else, it was her birthday. And while she wasn’t sure if an evening with Lex Luthor would qualify as ‘fun’ exactly, it would definitely be interesting.

She glanced at the clock, cursed under her breath. Two-thirty, leaving her with an hour and a half to prepare for what was apparently a fairly formal outing. She’d never be able to get ready in time on her own. There was only one person to call, and she shot a quick prayer to the powers that be that she wouldn’t be too insanely busy. Grabbing the phone, Chloe dialed quickly, letting out a silent thanks when the voice that answered spoke in the unhurried tones of someone in the middle of a lull.

“Hi, Lana? I have kind of an emergency…”

When she heard the unmistakable sound of one of Lex’s absurdly expensive cars pulling into the driveway, Chloe checked her appearance one last time. Leave it to him—or, more likely, his personal assistant—to provide down to the details: in the bottom of the box she had found shoes, a small glittering silver bag, and a long, dark wrap to shield her silk-clad body from the chill air. With Lana’s help—Chloe didn’t even try to fool herself into thinking she could have done it on her own—she had pulled her hair up into a soft twist. Her makeup was slightly more dramatic than her usual, but still subtle enough that she felt comfortable. It was fairly amazing, but the time she had spent with Lana getting ready had been . . . relaxing. Lana was her only real female friend, and it had been nice to be able to fuss over hair and makeup and clothing with someone. She shook her head in disbelief—she was actually grateful for Lana’s chronic sweetness.

Chloe had been dying to talk to someone about what she was doing tonight, and somehow she didn’t think that Pete and Clark would be too keen on the idea of her going on a date with Lex to Metropolis. Woah. Date? She laughed nervously. This wasn’t a date. It was . . . well, she didn’t really know what it was, but it was definitely not a date. In the back of her mind, a tiny voice whispered to her. ~Of course it’s not a date. You’re not dreaming.~ Please. Like a date with Lex Luthor was at the top of her wish list. She rolled her eyes and pushed the thought out of her mind.

Standing in front of the mirror, she glanced at her reflection. Unable to resist, she allowed herself one giddy twirl before collecting herself again; not a moment too soon, either, as the doorbell rang the moment she stopped. As she walked to the door she marveled to herself how he even managed to make the ring of the doorbell echo with his self-assurance. As a result, when she opened the door, the customary smirk that he wore was mirrored on her own face.

“Ms. Sullivan,” he nodded.

Slightly annoyed, Chloe replied, “Mr. Luthor.” Placing emphasis on the formal address, she took the arm he extended to her and shut the door behind her, trying to figure out if she had really just seen amusement sparking in his eyes. She had to fight against saying his next line along with him.

“Please, call me Lex.”

“Then you’ll have to call me Chloe. After all,” she shot him one of her patented Chloe grins, “an evening at the theatre with Smallville’s most handsome bald billionaire would be even better if we were on a first name basis.”

Lex merely raised an eyebrow as Chloe turned slightly pink. She hadn’t really just been flirting with Lex Luthor, had she? Well, so what if she was? He was looking damn sexy in that dark suit; her lips quirked at his irreverent lack of a tie, opting to leave the top two buttons of his deep blue dress shirt unbuttoned, exposing the strong line of his throat. Harmless flirting, that’s all it was, and after all, it was her birthday. If a girl couldn’t throw caution to the wind on her birthday, then when could she?

Even so, she felt more than a little self-conscious with Lex looking at her like that. She had to break eye contact. She glanced away and couldn’t help the hungry look that crossed her face when she saw the car. Lex followed her gaze and, with her arm still in his, led her over to where he had parked.

“I wasn’t sure if you’d prefer the limo or the Jaguar,” he began.

“What made you choose this one?” she asked, her eyes still devouring the image of the very, very sexy car in front of her.

He shrugged gracefully. “I like to drive,” he said simply. Taking in her look, he cocked one eyebrow again. “I take it I made the correct choice, then?”

In answer, she finally pulled her gaze away from the car to flash him a giddy smile. He laughed as he opened her door, the noise surprising them both. Before the moment could become tense, Chloe spoke up.

“Well, the limo is nice and all, but…” she glanced down at her dress, then at the car, before looking back at him with an exaggerated air of vanity. “This one matches my dress.” With that, she grinned and slipped into the seat.

Lex seemed amused as he closed her door before walking around and slipping into his own seat. The car purred to life and he put it in reverse, backing out of her driveway. They reached the edge of Smallville at a reasonable pace, and Chloe tightened her seatbelt. She caught Lex’s curious look and raised her eyebrows at him.

“Don’t trust me, Chloe?” he asked, faint amusement in his voice.

Chloe tried for a serious look as she answered him. “Well, Lex, you’re not exactly known for your stellar driving record.” He let out a dramatic sigh.

“Man, you drive off one bridge…” He shot her a sly look from the corner of his eyes.

It took an effort, but she managed to keep her serious expression in place.

“I just wanted to make sure I was strapped in nice and tight. After all, a girl ought to be able to live a little on her birthday—and I’m damn well not going to let you drive like a little old lady all the way to Metropolis.” A wicked grin took over her face. “Step on it already, Lex!”

Lex looked at her, apparently surprised at the demand, but then shook his head and let the corners of his mouth turn up. “Anything to oblige a lady,” he murmured, and slammed down on the accelerator. Chloe only had a few seconds to savor the feeling of being pushed back into her seat before Lex spoke.

“So…you think I’m handsome, eh?” he smiled at her. It wasn’t a smirk, but an actual, honest-to-god smile.

And Chloe threw back her head and laughed.

As they pulled up to the front of the playhouse, Chloe was amazed at how the trip had flown by. Interesting . . . she would have thought that a three-hour drive—well, with Lex’s driving, it had been closer to two—in formalwear, sharing company with Lex Luthor, would have been excruciating, or at the very least, mildly uncomfortable. Instead, the two of them had talked the entire way, covering every topic from ancient history—he had been surprised by her wealth of knowledge on that subject—to popular culture—both of them agreed that the ending of Hannibal had been much better in the book than in the movie. The laughter that had caught them both off-guard earlier had quickly become commonplace. They agreed, or at least managed to agree to disagree, on every topic except for the one they had been discussing for the last half-hour. Neither side was willing to cede any ground in this argument.

Lex took Chloe’s hand to help her from the car—he had managed to make it around and open her door before the valet even got there—and shot her a pitying glance.

“It’s a shame you insist on clinging to such an obviously incorrect assumption. And here I was just beginning to think you were cultured.”

Chloe glared at him as he slipped the valet a tip. “First of all, it’s not incorrect. Second of all, it’s not an assumption; it’s a fact. The sky is blue: fact. The earth revolves around the sun: fact. Lex Luthor is bald,” she added, smirking, “fact. Grover is, hands down, the coolest Muppet: FACT.”

“That you can even think that indicates only that you are in serious need of therapy,” Lex commented, seemingly oblivious to the stares of the other theatre patrons as he and Chloe crossed the lobby.

Chloe could only roll her eyes at that. “And what, pray tell, was so great about the Swedish Chef?”

“He taught a valuable lesson about the benefits of an ethnically and culturally diverse environment,” Lex stated smoothly.

Her mouth opened and closed twice before she could say anything. “I . . . I can’t even respond to that.” Chloe shook her head, gazing straight in front of her, vaguely dazed by his absurd logic. She could actually hear the smirk in his voice as he deliberately misinterpreted her words.

“Wise of you to admit defeat.”

She spun to face him, about to tear into him. Instead of the arrogant look she was expecting, however, his face was decked out in a boyish grin. Unable to resist, she felt her annoyance fade, and she couldn’t help but laugh.

“Lex,” she said, shaking her head in mock-exasperation. “Don’t you know that a girl is always supposed to get whatever she wants on her birthday?” she teased. Lex’s expression changed instantly into a well-honed look of contrition, serious with just enough charm that you wouldn’t even consider doubting his sincerity. The overall effect, however, was ruined by the mischievous glint in his eyes.

“Of course, how thoughtless of me. You are, naturally, correct in this and every other matter.”

“And about time you noticed,” Chloe replied, her exaggeratedly self-satisfied expression drawing another laugh out of Lex.

They had, by this time, reached the bottom of the grand staircase they would have to ascend to reach Lex’s private box, and she stepped slightly in front of him to get a closer look at the elegant marble steps. Suddenly feeling Lex’s hands on the material at her collarbone, Chloe, alarmed, glanced at him over her shoulder. It was when he merely raised one eyebrow at her, the corner of his mouth slightly quirked up, that she realized that he was only helping her out of her wrap. She whipped her head forward again, blushing profusely at having presumed that he was . . . well, whatever. Just as the fabric cleared her shoulders, she heard Lex’s annoyed, but resigned, voice behind her.

“Damn, he’s spotted me,” he muttered. She glanced at him again over her shoulder and saw that his eyes were fixed on something ahead and to their right. Following his gaze, she saw a portly, older gentleman plodding his way through the other patrons, heading straight for them.

As if sensing her unspoken questions, Lex leaned his head closer to hers; Chloe couldn’t help but shiver as the low rumble of Lex’s voice invaded her ear.

“Arthur Rumsfeld. Deals with the major financial contributors to the playhouse. Never seems assured that they’re being taken care of properly unless he sees to it himself.” He sighed resignedly, and Chloe jolted slightly as the cascade of warm breath rushed into her ear. “This may take a few minutes,” he continued apologetically.

“Oh, well, if it’s all the same to you, I’ll leave being fawned over to those with more experience,” she said quickly, stepping away. Then, seeing that Lex was about to protest her leaving him alone to deal with this man, Chloe shot him a grin, her eyes twinkling. “Besides, this way you’ll have to hurry along after me. Not a lot of time to chat—more’s the pity.” With that, she winked and walked off, leaving Lex holding her wrap, just as the heavyset little man finally reached him.

Chloe started to slowly climb the stairs, glad to get away from Lex and his alarming affect on her. ‘What’s wrong with you?’ she thought sternly. ‘Get a grip. Flirting, fine. That’s harmless. But this . . . this is dangerous. Crossing the line into physical attraction is entirely too much. You are not attracted to Lex Luthor. You are NOT attracted to Lex Luthor!’

Her internal monologue paused when she reached the landing of the staircase, where it split into two directions, and she realized she had no idea which way to go. She turned to look down the steps and there he was, standing where she had left him, watching her. She thought she read something in his expression, but before she could identify it their gazes met and his lips quirked up slightly in that half-smile that she was beginning to crave. As he climbed the staircase she felt her eyes tracing the smooth motions of his muscles underneath his clothes. Without warning a flash of those same muscles, naked and pressing her down into the mattress washed through her mind. When she caught herself, she groaned silently.

‘Ok, so you ARE attracted to Lex Luthor. Way to go, Chloe. You’ve gone from unavailable best friend to unbelievably unattainable billionaire playboy. Well . . . you’ll just have to deal with it, that’s all. You’ve done it before. Just . . . deal with it.’

By the time Lex reached the top of the stairs, Chloe had capitalized on her finely honed skills of self-preservation and cloaked herself in her trademark smile. Lex offered her his arm, and when she took it he began leading her up the twisting right-hand staircase. She glanced at him again, and a puzzled frown settled over her features when she realized that both her wrap and the coat he had been wearing earlier were absent. He noticed her expression and raised one eyebrow.

“I was just wondering where our coats went,” she replied to his unspoken question. “You didn’t have enough time to have checked them.”

His mouth moved into a mocking grin. “Well, one of the benefits of having Arthur fawn all over you, as you so eloquently put it, is not having to hassle with checking your coat. They’ll be brought back up to us at the end of the show,” he added as they exited the staircase, steering her left down a hallway elegantly draped in deep red and gold.

“Oh. Well, that’s . . . very nice of them.”

Lex chuckled at that and gestured to one of the doorways on the right. At his cue, Chloe walked ahead into the box, her eyes widening appreciatively. The small area was a study in understated elegance. Two small, plush chairs faced the stage, upholstered in the same wine colored velvet that draped the hallway and walls of the box. A delicate table laden with fruit, bread and cheese sat tucked under the ledge in front of the seats. Soft lights were mounted on the walls, casting a gentle golden glow. It was the reflection of that glow that brought Chloe’s eyes to the ice bucket in an elegant silver stand perched next to one of the chairs, housing what looked to be a bottle of undoubtedly expensive champagne. She raised her eyebrows at this and turned to Lex, who had followed her in. He grinned roguishly and pulled the left chair out slightly, indicating that she should sit.

“I realize you aren’t exactly legal to drink yet, but I figured a glass or two of champagne wouldn’t hurt. And before you say anything, I realize that I will, in fact, be driving later; but rest assured, such a small amount of alcohol will in no way incapacitate me, especially not three hours later.”

“And if I choose to decline your kind offer?” she asked as she took the seat he offered.

Lex simply shrugged casually. “Then we won’t drink.” She looked at him questioningly, prompting a smile out of him. “Yes, Chloe, we. This is your celebration. I’m just here to make sure you enjoy yourself. It’s as simple as that.”

“Thank you, Lex,” she said. She waited for a moment before letting a grin light up her face. “I was just making sure.” She looked at him expectantly. “Well, aren’t you going to pour us our drinks?”

Shaking his head and laughing, Lex opened the champagne with a satisfying pop and filled the two flutes that were held in the bottom of the stand. After returning the bottle to the ice, he handed her one of the glasses and lowered himself into the chair next to hers. She found herself transfixed by his gaze as he held up his glass in a toast.

“Happy Birthday, Chloe. May all of your wishes be granted, tonight and always.” His eyes never releasing hers, he tapped his glass to hers. Moving slowly, Chloe mirrored his motions and brought her glass to her lips for a small sip. Before she realized it, she voiced the question she had been pondering all night.

“Why did you do all this, Lex?”

Her question seemed to have thrown him off-guard. He blinked at her, breaking their eye contact, and she took the opportunity to take a fortifying gulp of her surprisingly enjoyable drink—she hadn’t meant to ask the question, but now that she had she wasn’t backing down without an answer. Within seconds, however, he had regained his composure.

“There are a couple of reasons, actually,” he started.

“My dad?” Chloe raised her eyes to look at him again.

He paused again. “Yes, that was one,” he admitted. As she tried to conceal her look of disappointment, he continued swiftly. “I didn’t know he would be gone on your birthday when I sent him, but the fact remains that it’s my fault he isn’t here. Then, when I talked to Clark and I found out that no one else was going to be able to be with you today . . . ” He trailed off, and Chloe couldn’t help the warmth that filled her when she realized that she was being allowed to see Lex vulnerable, without any of the barriers that he usually shielded himself with. “I had too many solitary birthdays growing up. I didn’t want you to be alone today if I could help it.”

Chloe glanced at her drink, considering. When she looked back at Lex, it was with a small smile. “You said there were a couple of reasons?” she prompted.

Lex’s smile of relief spread across his face and charmed a larger smile out of her. “I want to get to know you, Chloe,” he said simply. “I don’t have a lot of friends in Smallville—hell, I think we both know I have exactly one friend in Smallville,” he laughed. “Partly because most people seem to think I’m the Prince of Darkness,” he bowed his head when she lifted her glass in a mocking salute, “but largely because most of the people there don’t have enough intellect or wit to hold my interest for any length of time. I know that must make me seem unbelievably arrogant, but it’s true. Even Clark; don’t get me wrong, he’s a great friend, but . . . ”

“Not likely to sit down and have a discussion with you about anything other than his parents or Lana?” Chloe supplied.

Lex grinned. “Exactly. I can talk to him, but he doesn’t challenge me. He doesn’t often surprise me. You, on the other hand . . . ” He shook his head slightly. “I never know quite what to expect from you.” He gestured to the stage. “I never would have pegged you as a musical fan, for example.”

“Oh!” Chloe said suddenly. “That reminds me.” She leaned forward slightly and crossed her legs. “How on earth did you know that I like musicals? No one knows I like this music, not even my dad. And how did you know I liked this one, especially? Was it just a coincidence, or did you have some kind of motive for choosing it?”

“Ah, she’s gone into reporter mode,” he teased.

“Ha, ha. Funny.” She rolled her eyes. “Seriously, how did you know?”

“You really don’t know, do you?” he mused, an evil little smile playing around his lips.

“Know what???” She had to fight the urge to stamp her foot, settling instead for bouncing in her seat.

Lex cleared his throat. “I, um…well, I suppose you don’t realize that you tend to hum to yourself when you’re wearing headphones, do you?”

She could feel herself paling. “I do not,” she protested, but her voice lacked any real conviction.

“Sometimes you sing under your breath, too.” Although he tried to hide it by bringing his glass up to his mouth, Chloe could clearly make out the devilish smirk on Lex’s face. All the blood that had left her face a moment before now returned with reinforcements.

“Oh, god,” she moaned, squeezing her eyes shut against the blush burning in her cheeks as memories of how many times she had listened to her CDs at the Talon came rushing back to her. Well-kept secret. Right. She opened her eyes again when she felt Lex take her hand.

“Don’t worry, Chloe.” He gave her that half-smile again. “Not many people would peg me as a musical fan, either.” She looked at him blankly, unable to make the connection. Musical fan? She had assumed that he’d merely gotten the tickets in deference to her not-so-secret vice. Of course, her mental state was somewhat impeded by the fact that his thumb was tracing small circles on the palm of her hand. “Think about it, Chloe,” his voice called her attention away from its very pleasant distraction. “I had to be familiar enough with them to know what songs you were singing without having to ask.” Chloe absently nibbled on her bottom lip for a moment before tilting her lips into a lopsided smile.

“I won’t tell if you won’t,” and she held up her glass. Lex’s trademark smirk was back. He tapped his glass to hers again and the chime of glass against glass sounded in synch with his reply.

“Deal.” They both drank, and he gestured to the food sitting in front of them. “I didn’t think we’d have time for dinner. I had anticipated it taking us longer to get here.” He shot her a look and she grinned unrepentantly at him. He tried unsuccessfully to hide his amusement. “Would you like something to eat?”

Chloe nodded and reached for a strawberry, suddenly realizing how hungry she was. She closed her eyes as the first bite hit her taste buds, and let out a small sound of pleasure. Her eyes opened again to find Lex staring hungrily at the fruit she still held in front of her lips. One eyebrow arched. “You know Lex, there’s plenty more fruit right on that table if you’re hungry,” she informed him condescendingly.

Lex didn’t answer, only curved his lips and reached out one hand to loosely shackle her wrist. Without breaking eye contact, he brought her hand to his mouth and bit off the rest of the sweet red fruit, his lips a hairsbreadth away from her fingers, his breath washing over her skin. She blinked when he released her wrist, the same wicked grin still on his face. Then she looked down at the green stem in her fingers and frowned at him. She plucked another strawberry from the pile and glared playfully at his raised eyebrow.

“Nuh-uh, this one’s mine. Get your own.” He chuckled and took a piece of bread. She took another sip of her champagne and her features softened into a small smile.

“What?”

“I was just thinking: when I got up this morning, if someone had told me that by the end of the day I’d be sitting with Lex Luthor enjoying champagne and strawberries, I would’ve tried to have them committed.”

He smirked. “Life’s full of unexpected twists.”

They finished off their glasses and savored another as they ate their fill. After a few minutes they fell back into the comforting randomness of their conversations—who would win in a fist fight: Abraham Lincoln or Aquaman?—before the lights finally dimmed. Chloe was pleased to note that the edge of the box was low enough and the chair high enough to let her sit back and still have a perfect view of the stage. The curtain rose and Chloe found herself swept up from the first verse of “Lost In The Darkness.” Her well-trained brain had long ago memorized all of the lyrics, but seeing it performed live, with such passion and skill, was enough to leave her breathless.

The curtain went down for intermission and Chloe sat stock still, too dazed to even think of applauding. When it finally occurred to her, she became aware that her hand was otherwise occupied. At some point during the performance she had taken Lex’s hand which now lay, fingers entwined with hers, on the arm of her chair. Fighting the heat rising again in her face—lord, when had she EVER blushed this much?—she let go as casually as she could, falling back on the pretense of reaching for her half-full glass of champagne. Glancing back at Lex, she noted the mischievous glint in his eyes and prayed that he would simply let the incident slide. So, she took a small sip of her drink and turned to look him full in the face.

“You know, I never really liked Emma.”

And so during the intermission she and Lex stayed where they were, regaling each other with their favorite and least favorite parts. Before long Chloe had composed herself to engage Lex in a rather heated debate about whether the show was better with “Good and Evil” or “Bring on the Men.” When the second act started, Chloe once again sat riveted to her seat. Her heart raced with the music, and she was oblivious to the tears that ran down her face from Lucy’s death until the finale. This time, when the last chord echoed in the air, she stood and applauded as if there were no tomorrow.

By the time the last actor had left the stage, she was back in control of herself. She glanced to her right, expecting to see Lex, but instead finding only empty space. Before she could wonder about it, she felt his fingers brush over her shoulders.

The song, her favorite from this show, was instantly in her mind. His fingers weren’t cold; no, they were warm, almost hot. But she felt the shiver running down her back just the same. Her heart beat a bit faster as he settled her wrap over her. Had his hands lingered a bit on her shoulders? No, it was just her overactive imagination. She turned to face him, already knowing what she would see, already knowing the danger of meeting his gaze.

Yes, there it was, the next line coursing its way through her head. She wondered vaguely if it were simply part of his mysterious Luthor powers that made her feel like she had no defenses when he was looking at her. It was as if he could see into every part of her soul, straight through the walls she usually put up as though they were made of glass. Yet somehow, it didn’t make her feel uncomfortable; it made her feel . . . powerful. Like she didn’t have to hide. Her gaze slipped down to his mouth; oh, yes, she could imagine the forbidden pleasures that were waiting there. And as much as she hated to admit it, she was afraid of discovering just how much pleasure he was capable of giving her.

It only lasted a moment—barely a sweep of emotions across her face before she was back to her usual snarky self. “Why thank you, Lex,” she breathed with exaggerated gratitude. “I don’t know how I ever would have managed to put my coat on without your help.” She gazed up at him, her look of wide-eyed innocence a mocking imitation of the helpless female. “Why, heaven only knows how I managed to get all of these complicated clothes on all by myself.”

There was a glint in Lex’s eyes complementing the slow, seductive smile that turned up his lips. His voice was low and husky as he leaned forward slightly.

“Well, if you think you’ll need any help removing them, I’d be more than willing to lend a hand.” It was almost too much for Chloe’s already reeling system, so she covered with the only tactic she could think of.

She stuck out her tongue at him.

Lex blinked once, and his lips started twitching. He leaned back, shaking with contained laughter. Chloe rolled her eyes and breezed past him. At the doorway she felt his hand at the small of her back. It stayed there as they walked outside, and she could feel the vibrations when every now and then Lex would start silently laughing again. When they reached the street, Lex’s car was already pulling up. Lex opened the door and helped Chloe in as the valet exited and rounded the car. Once Lex was settled in his own seat, Chloe looked over at him and grinned.

“Y’know, I think I like Arthur.”

“He does have his uses,” Lex agreed as he pulled into the line of traffic heading away from the theater. “So, where to next?”

“Next?”

Lex nodded sagely. “Yes. I have it on good authority that ‘a girl is always supposed to get whatever she wants on her birthday.’ So, m’lady, your wish is my command.” He shot her a glance. “All you have to do, Chloe, is tell me what you want.”

‘Do not blush, Chloe, you will. Not. Blush. He didn’t mean it like that. For the love of God, come up with something quick.’ Considering her options, Chloe started thinking out loud. “Well, first I’d like to get out of this dress . . . ” she began.

After a moment, Lex spoke up. “Like I said, if you want any help with that, just let me know.” She turned to glare at him and he winked roguishly at her. Chloe snorted and continued with her self-narration.

“Other than changing clothes,” a warning glare, “what else . . . I think I’d mostly just like to unwind. I guess we should head back to Smallville.”

Lex had obediently headed out of town, and Chloe had sat there, thinking, for almost half of the ride. They had turned on the radio to fill the silence, and gentle strains of classical music filled the car.

Finally, she burst to life so suddenly that Lex swerved slightly.

“Oh!” She turned down the volume on the radio, then swiveled in her seat so that she was facing him. “Watch a movie with me! Please?”

“A movie?” he asked, looking confused. Apparently he had expected something of a grander request after a forty-five minute consideration.

“Well . . . it’s a very specific movie and there are very specific conditions,” she continued.

He looked at her suspiciously. “What movie? And what conditions?”

She shook her head. “Nuh-uh. Promise first, and I’ll tell you the rest when we get to my house.”

“Your house, huh?”

“That’s one of the conditions. Please, Lex?” She gazed at him hopefully, pleading.

He glanced at her and groaned. “Do people ever say no to you when you turn that look on them?” he asked rhetorically. She broke into an ear-to-ear grin.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

And before she knew what she was doing, she leaned across and kissed Lex on the cheek. Sinking back down in her seat, Chloe turned the volume on the radio back up. Once again, the music was the only sound in the car; Chloe sat and hummed along for ten straight minutes until her nerves quieted down.

As she watched the darkness outside of the window, her thoughts drifted back to earlier that day. She had dropped her bookbag by the stairs and walked into the kitchen to grab a cup of coffee . . .

At the touch of your hand -
    At the sound of your voice -
    At the moment your eyes meet mine -
    I am out of my mind -
    I am out of control -
    Full of feelings I can't define!

HYDE:
    It's a sin with no name -

LUCY:
    Like a hand in a flame -

HYDE:
    And our senses proclaim

HYDE/LUCY:
    It's a dangerous game!

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    Yay! N-S is back up and you're posting! Don't keep them waiting too long for the next part.

bored and dangerous Senior Member sabby's Avatar
    Sittin by the side of the road in the middle of nowhere...
    hell yes!

post the next part soon, you know I'm waiting for it *bg*

still love the muppet debate and the thing with the car complementing her dress [but still love the spider more than the jag ;-) ]

hugs,

Sabby

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    I loved it :biggrin: more please :chlexsign2:

Hope :chlexsign3:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

Sunflow
    Just a Guest!
    That was great! :chlexsign3:
    Sequel *needed*

Sunflow

ladymichelle
    Just a Guest!
    That was awesome! Can't wait for the next part.

demoness
    Great, great! I'm dying for more! please update soon!

Tandy
    :chlexsign2:

Sugar&Spice of the gutter Senior Member Queen Of Tact's Avatar
    very very nice.... I can't wait to read more.. Please post again soon... I want to see if the birthday gir's wishes all come true...

CC
    "I am scared that I'm always going to be somebody's friend or sister or confidant, but never quite somebody's everything."

Angel undercover!
    The beginning is so great, now I can't wait for Lex POV.
    Please post more soon.

A/N: Here we go! The (not so) long-awaited Chapter Two! Warning: SPOILERS in this chapter for Tempest and Vortex. Thanks to everyone who reviewed the first part, and special thanks to Sabby and Kris for looking this over. You guys rock my world. :biggrin: Hope you guys enjoy this part, and please review!

HYDE:
    A darker dream -
    That has no ending -
    That's so unreal
    You believe that it's true!
    A dance of death -
    Out of a mystery tale -
    The frightened princess
    Doesn't know what to do!

The road stretched out like a black ribbon ahead of him, smooth and gently waving. Lex was silently grateful for the nearly deserted stretch of highway—with only the occasional other car, it was possible for him to safely divide his attention between driving and thoughts of what had happened that evening. He needed to figure out what was going on, and he needed to do so fast.

Lex shoved aside the copy of the plant’s quarterly report that had occupied his attention for the past three-and-a-half hours. His assistant, Maria, had phoned from Metropolis at nine that morning to let him know that she had found a dress that she was certain would be perfect for the young lady. He had her wait a couple of hours before sending it, along with the necessary accompaniments, to Smallville. As per his request, the messenger had stopped at the mansion first to pick up the note that would explain—more or less—what was going on. An invitation to the theater for a production of “Jekyll & Hyde”—he smirked to himself when he pictured Chloe trying to figure out how he knew about that secret little vice of hers—to celebrate her birthday.

Running a hand over his face, Lex glanced at his watch. Three o’clock; the messenger should have arrived at Chloe’s house about half an hour ago. The corner of his mouth curled up. He had intentionally given her only an hour and a half to get ready before he arrived, some instinct telling him that if she had very long to think about his offer she would convince herself not to go. She would, instead, spend her night alone, wishing that she wasn’t.

His high-backed leather chair creaked slightly as he leaned back, one hand absently playing with a gold-plated pen. Of course, there was the very real possibility that she would say no anyway—he had made certain she knew that was an option. He frowned for a moment, then shrugged it off. As much as he knew he would enjoy the theater with Chloe, he was prepared to forfeit those plans if she wasn’t interested. The frown was replaced by a confidant smirk. ‘But if she thinks she’s getting rid of me tonight, she’s sadly mistaken.’

He had talked to Clark the evening before and discovered that not a single one of Chloe’s friends would be able to spend her birthday with her. On top of that, her father was out of town on business—thanks to Lex. True, he hadn’t known when he chose Gabe as Lex Corp.’s representative that Chloe’s birthday would come right in the middle of the conference, or that her friends would all be unable to help her celebrate. Even so, the fact was that he had taken away the only family she had and left her with no one. Yes, part of him felt guilty for that, and consequently responsible for making sure that Chloe enjoyed herself today. But a larger part of him, one that he was still coming to terms with, was simply and undeniably intrigued by her. They were able to trade wits without the underlying animosity that was usually present in his verbal sparring. He wanted to spend time with her, get to know her better; that he was provided with a valid excuse to do so was simply a fortuitous coincidence.

The fact that he found her more than passably attractive had nothing to do with it. And if he kept telling himself that, he might actually start believing it.

With one last glance at his watch—3:25—he rose, jotted a final note in the margin of the report, and strode out of his study. He’d just grab a quick shower and change his clothes, then head over to Chloe’s. As he reached his room he tried to ignore the nerves that were inexplicably lodged in his stomach, and without conscious thought began searching for an outfit that Chloe would appreciate.

Letting his senses drown in the purr of the motor, Lex sat for a moment in Chloe’s driveway before cutting the engine. He knew that most of the small minds of Smallville thought that he used his cars as a kind of prop, a way to show off his wealth and power—that he drove so fast to show that Luthors were above petty things like the law. And while such claims weren’t entirely untrue, neither were they his main motives in his quest for speed. What no one knew was that driving was a sanctuary for him. Hurtling down a stretch of road at ninety miles per hour it felt as though he could out-race all of his demons, so that even when he finally stopped they would never be able to catch up. When everything else in his life was falling apart, having control over something so powerful was like a balm for his troubled psyche.

When he was preparing to leave the manor, he had first called for the limo; but as he put on his overcoat his fingers had brushed against the keys that were still in the pocket. Taking them out and glancing at them he could almost see the muscular design of his Jaguar, feel the vibration from the roaring motor. He hadn’t been able to resist; one clipped command had canceled the limo and within minutes he was slipping behind the wheel.

Now he unfolded himself from the car and paused again, taking one deep breath. As he walked slowly to the front door, he wondered if Chloe would just see the same spoiled little rich boy that everyone else saw. He tried to scoff—he was a Luthor; it didn’t matter to him how some teenaged high school reporter saw him. Except . . . it did. Her opinion mattered to him in the same way that Jonathan Kent’s did. For whatever reason, part of him needed to be found worthy in Chloe’s eyes.

Lex blinked at the painted wood that was suddenly before him, realizing that he had made it, lost in thought, all the way to the front door. ‘Snap out of it,’ he thought sharply. Lord, he hadn’t been this nervous before a date since . . . wait. This wasn’t a date. It was . . . it was him doing something nice for a friend. Or rather, someone he hoped could be a friend.

He had to get control over this irrational train of thought. Without realizing he had done it, he let his face fall into the emotionless mask he wore so often. Having easily slipped into the Luthor persona, he reached out and confidently rang the doorbell.

A few moments later the door opened, and his smirk grew when he saw Chloe was wearing the wrap that had been sent along with the dress. Well, it seemed as though he had worried for nothing. Her hair was pulled up and away from her face into an elegantly subtle twist. The makeup on her eyes was slightly smoky, making them seem even larger and more brilliantly green. And her mouth, painted a gentle red, was curled in a smirk that was a mirror of his own.

“Ms. Sullivan,” he nodded, purposely using the formal address, hoping to get a rise out of her. She didn’t disappoint.

Chloe’s eyes glittered briefly. “Mr. Luthor,” she replied, taking the arm he offered her. Her pointed tone was not lost on him, and his own eyes glinted with amusement.

“Please, call me Lex.” The request was made automatically—a cheap trick he usually used to lull people into a false sense of security. This time, however, he found that he actually wanted someone to think of him that way, without the added thought of his money or power—he wanted to be simply Lex to someone, if only for a moment.

“Then you’ll have to call me Chloe. After all,” she shot him one of her thousand-megawatt grins, “an evening at the theatre with Smallville’s most handsome bald billionaire would be even better if we were on a first name basis.”

Lex raised an eyebrow at her; as soon as the words were spoken a faint blush, clearly visible in the slowly fading light, tinted Chloe’s skin.

He couldn’t remember the last time he had seen a woman blush, and found the sight oddly enticing. Innocent flirting, not as a tool for seduction but merely as friendly banter, was something else he hadn’t experienced for a while. It was . . . pleasant, he decided. And as much as he was vaguely enjoying the fact that she was becoming unsettled under his gaze, he wanted to put her at ease again. Before he had a chance, however, her eyes left his and a look of almost animalistic hunger fell across her face. He followed her gaze and saw that it had landed on the sleek form of the Jaguar. Her arm was still in his, and he led her over to the parked car.

“I wasn’t sure if you’d prefer the limo or the Jaguar,” he began.

“What made you choose this one?” she asked, the hungry look never leaving her face.

Automatic answers flashed through his mind, all designed to impress or charm, but they all rang hollow. No, with Chloe it would have to be the truth—an overly simplistic version of it, but the truth nonetheless. So, he merely shrugged gracefully.

“I like to drive,” he said simply. Taking in her look, he cocked one eyebrow again. “I take it I made the correct choice, then?”

In answer, she finally pulled her gaze away from the car to flash him a giddy smile. He laughed as he opened her door, and she looked as surprised by it as he felt. Before Lex could think of anything to say, Chloe spoke up.

“Well, the limo is nice and all, but . . . ” she glanced down at her dress, then at the car, then looked back at him with an exaggerated air of vanity. “This one matches my dress.” With that, she grinned and slipped into the seat.

Undeniably amused, Lex closed her door before walking around and slipping into his own seat. The car purred to life and he shifted smoothly into reverse, backing out of her driveway. Resisting the urge to throw the car into high gear, he kept his speed at, or at least reasonably near, the speed limit. He doubted that Chloe would appreciate the break-neck speed he usually preferred, and he had made sure that they would have plenty of time to reach Metropolis at this safer, slightly more legal pace. However, when they reached the edge of Smallville, he caught the movement out of the corner of his eye as Chloe tightened her seatbelt. He looked at her curiously and she raised her eyebrows in response.

“Don’t trust me, Chloe?” he asked, letting his amusement show through in his voice.

Chloe wore the too-serious look of someone trying desperately not to laugh. “Well, Lex, you’re not exactly known for your stellar driving record.” He sighed dramatically.

“Man, you drive off one bridge . . . ” Not wanting to admit that his pride was slightly wounded, he shot her a teasing look from the corner of his eyes.

To her credit, she managed to keep her somber expression intact. “I just wanted to make sure I was strapped in nice and tight. After all, a girl ought to be able to live a little on her birthday—and I’m damn well not going to let you drive like a little old lady all the way to Metropolis.” He watched as a wicked grin took over her face. “Step on it already, Lex!”

Lex looked at her, surprised at the demand, then shook his head and let the corners of his mouth turn up. Perhaps he had found someone who craved speed as much as he did.

“Anything to oblige a lady,” he murmured, and slammed down on the accelerator. Chloe closed her eyes, her face rapturous as the speed took hold of them. That look was doing considerable damage to his self-control; and in any case, now was as good a time as any to catch her off-guard. He spoke up.

“So . . . you think I’m handsome, eh?” he smiled at her. It wasn’t one of his carefully crafted smirks, but a real, honest smile.

And Chloe threw back her head and laughed.

Pulling the car into the circular drive in front of the Metropolis Playhouse, Lex’s mind was still on the drive there. The car had been filled with conversation the entire way, and Lex had never enjoyed a discussion quite so much. They had covered a myriad of topics: everything from old classics—who would have thought that Chloe would be able to match him fact-for-fact on the history of Napoleon’s reign—to modern culture—they were both in the extreme minority of people that appreciated the ending of Hannibal in its original form. He had never lacked for intelligent conversation, but was never able to feel as at ease as he was with Chloe. He didn’t have to be on guard with her, and it gave him an incredible sense of freedom to express himself. He never would have expected that the two of them would have so much in common, but their thoughts had been remarkably parallel—until their most recent topic of conversation, that is, which they had been debating for the last half-hour. And while Lex did fully believe in the veracity of his claim, he had even more adamantly refused to cede any ground because he simply enjoyed arguing with Chloe.

Lex took Chloe’s hand to help her from the car—one glance at the valet and the man had backed off, deciding that he would be much better off letting Mr. Luthor tend to his own date—and shot her a pitying glance that he knew would get to her.

“It’s a shame you insist on clinging to such an obviously incorrect assumption. And here I was just beginning to think you were cultured.” He felt Chloe’s glare burning into him as he palmed a tip to the grateful valet. True to form, she rose to the bait.

“First of all, it’s not incorrect,” she stated emphatically. “Second of all, it’s not an assumption; it’s a fact. The sky is blue: fact. The earth revolves around the sun: fact. Lex Luthor is bald,” she added, smirking, “fact. Grover is, hands down, the coolest Muppet: FACT.”

“That you can even think that indicates only that you are in serious need of therapy,” Lex commented, ignoring the stares of the other theatre patrons as he and Chloe crossed the lobby.

Chloe rolled her eyes at that. “And what, pray tell, was so great about the Swedish Chef?”

Prepared for this, Lex countered smoothly, “He taught a valuable lesson about the benefits of an ethnically and culturally diverse environment.”

Her mouth opened and closed twice before she managed to say anything. “I . . . I can’t even respond to that.” Thoroughly enjoying her reactions but glad that she was facing ahead and couldn’t see the grin that spread across his face, Lex injected as much arrogance as he could into his next words.

“Wise of you to admit defeat.”

Chloe spun to face him again, her eyes glinting, indignation clear on her face. When she saw his expression, however, her face softened and her lips began to curl. Finally, she let out a low laugh.

“Lex,” she said, shaking her head in mock-exasperation. “Don’t you know that a girl is always supposed to get whatever she wants on her birthday?” she teased. Immediately Lex slipped into the mask of contrition he had perfected during his more rebellious teenage years, a tool to help himself out of some of the stickier situations he got involved in.

“Of course, how thoughtless of me. You are, naturally, correct in this and every other matter.”

“And about time you noticed,” Chloe replied with an exaggeratedly self-satisfied expression that Lex couldn’t help but laugh at.

By this time they had reached the bottom of the grand staircase they would have to climb to reach Lex’s private box. As Chloe stepped slightly in front of him, he reached out to help her out of her wrap. When his fingers unhooked the material over her collarbone, she turned her head and shot him a startled glance. Amused, he raised one eyebrow. ‘Now, now, Ms. Sullivan, what can you be thinking?’ he thought amusedly. He could see on her face the exact moment she realized the innocence of his actions, and another captivating blush spread over her skin as she spun her head forward again.

Lex’s amusement dried up as he continued to draw the material off and inch by inch exposed more of her smooth skin. Barely breathing, he drew back the fabric to reveal her strong, soft shoulders before a movement at the edge of his line of vision caught his attention. He looked up and saw a familiar, squat little man making a beeline for him through the crowd of other patrons.

“Damn, he’s spotted me,” he muttered. Chloe glanced at him again, then followed his eyes until she saw the older man.

Before she could voice the questions he knew must be running through her mind, Lex leaned his head closer to hers; he noticed her shiver as he spoke lowly in her ear. ‘Well, now, this is interesting,’ he thought, draping her wrap over his arm.

“Arthur Rumsfeld,” he told her, giving her a basic rundown on the man. “Deals with the major financial contributors to the playhouse. Never seems assured that they’re being taken care of properly unless he sees to it himself.” He sighed resignedly and felt Chloe jolt slightly as his breath hit her ear. “This may take a few minutes,” he continued apologetically. While he was actually rather fond of the older man, he hated the idea of anyone intruding on his time with Chloe, especially with the way she was now responding to him.

“Oh, well, if it’s all the same to you, I’ll leave being fawned over to those with more experience,” she said, quickly stepping away. Before Lex could protest against her going anywhere, Chloe shot him a grin, her eyes twinkling. “Besides, this way you’ll have to hurry along after me. Not a lot of time to chat—more’s the pity.” With that, she winked and walked off, leaving Lex holding her wrap, just as Rumsfeld finally reached him.

“Lex, so good to see you,” the short, elderly man beamed at him, slightly out of breath from his trek across the lobby. “Of course, we weren’t expecting you to be here quite so early.” Lex frowned slightly, and Rumsfeld hurriedly continued. “Not to worry, though, I was informed as soon as you arrived, and everything has been prepared just as you requested, waiting for you in your box. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“Yes, actually. If you would be kind enough to see these checked for me,” he replied, holding out his coat along with Chloe’s wrap, which the man quickly took. Glancing towards the staircase, he explained, “I don’t want to have to abandon my date.”

“Certainly, certainly, Lex. Saw her as I was coming over. Quite a change from your usual companions,” he said, his voice holding the slightest hint of disapproval at Lex’s usual choice in women, “but absolutely lovely all the same. Has a genuine quality to her.” He stepped back. “I’ll have these brought up to your box after the show, and I’ll be sure your car is waiting out front for you.” With a glance up the staircase, he smiled fondly at Lex. “You’d do well to hold on to this one, my boy.” Before Lex could correct his assumption, Rumsfeld was walking swiftly away.

Shaking his head, Lex turned to the stairs again, just in time to see Chloe climb the last two steps and pause on the landing. As his mouth went dry he made a mental note to ensure that Maria got a substantial bonus. This was the first time he had gotten a glimpse of the dress he had given her, and he couldn’t tear his eyes away. Long slits in the material rose to mid-thigh on either side, giving him a tantalizing flash of shapely legs as she climbed. The silver-blue silk hung from thin straps, exposing the gentle slope of her shoulders, and draped elegantly over her curves. Lex’s eyes raked over her form once, twice. Then she turned and saw him standing there; her vaguely lost look had his lips quirking up slightly, and he started to quickly climb the stairs. His eyes stayed fixed on her as he did, and to his surprise he caught her gaze traveling briefly over him. Something like hopelessness flashed in her eyes, but was covered up quickly.

By the time Lex reached the top of the stairs, Chloe was smiling brightly at him. Something still lurked in her eyes but, being slightly unsettled himself, he decided to let it pass. He offered her his arm, and when she took it began leading her up the twisting right-hand staircase. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her glance at him again, a puzzled frown settled over her features, and he raised an eyebrow at her.

“I was just wondering where our coats went,” she replied to his unspoken question. “You didn’t have enough time to have checked them.”

His mouth moved into a teasing grin. “Well, one of the benefits of having Arthur fawn all over you, as you so eloquently put it, is not having to hassle with checking your coat. They’ll be brought back up to us at the end of the show,” he added as they exited the staircase, steering her left down a hallway elegantly draped in deep red and gold.

“Oh. Well, that’s…very nice of them.”

Lex chuckled at that and gestured to one of the doorways on the right. At his cue, Chloe walked ahead into the box. He followed her in and watched as she took in her surroundings, giving him time to study her once again.

The way her hair was swept up exposed the elegant line of her neck, bare of any adornment. Her earlobes were bare as well, and he could imagine her gasp as he drew one into his mouth. Shaking himself out of his thoughts he glanced around, noting with satisfaction the food and champagne that stood waiting as he had requested. Chloe, too, noticed the champagne chilling in a silver stand next to one of the two chairs. She turned to look at him, her eyebrows raised in questioning amusement. He grinned roguishly and pulled the left chair out slightly, indicating that she should sit.

“I realize you aren’t exactly legal to drink yet, but I figured a glass or two of champagne wouldn’t hurt,” he explained. Catching her look, he continued, “And before you say anything, I realize that I will, in fact, be driving later; but rest assured that such a small amount of alcohol will in no way incapacitate me, especially not three hours after the fact.”

“And if I choose to decline your kind offer?” she asked as she took the seat he offered.

Lex simply shrugged casually. “Then we won’t drink.” He smiled at her puzzlement, accurately predicting what had caused her confusion. “Yes, Chloe, we. This is your celebration. I’m just here to make sure you enjoy yourself. It’s as simple as that.”

“Thank you, Lex,” she said. He waited a beat before a grin lit up her face. “I was just making sure.” She looked at him expectantly. “Well, aren’t you going to pour us our drinks?”

Shaking his head and laughing—lord, when was the last time he had laughed this much?—Lex opened the champagne with a satisfying pop and filled the two flutes that were held in the bottom of the stand. He truly wouldn’t have minded if she had chosen not to drink, but something inside him was deeply glad that she was trusting him like this. After returning the bottle to the ice, he handed her one of the glasses and lowered himself into the chair next to hers. He fixed his eyes on hers, trapping her gaze with his as he held up his glass in a toast.

“Happy Birthday, Chloe. May all of your wishes be granted, tonight and always.” His eyes never releasing hers, he tapped their glasses together. Moving slowly, he brought his glass to his lips and watched as Chloe mirrored his actions. Without warning, she voiced the question he had been futilely hoping she wouldn’t ask.

“Why did you do all this, Lex?”

His mind went blank; he felt himself blink stupidly at her, watched as she took a swallow of her champagne. ‘Not the truth,’ a little voice in his head screamed. ‘Tell her anything, just not the truth.’ Well practiced at it, his mind immediately came up with several answers that would placate her and keep the reality of his motives hidden.

“There are a couple of reasons, actually,” he started.

“My dad?” Chloe raised her eyes to look at him again, and confronted with the vulnerability he saw there, his contrived answers abandoned him. He paused again.

“Yes, that was one,” he admitted. At her poorly concealed look of disappointment, he continued swiftly. “I didn’t know he would be gone on your birthday when I sent him, but the fact remains that it’s my fault he isn’t here. Then, when I talked to Clark and I found out that no one else was going to be able to be with you today . . .” He trailed off, and feeling his carefully constructed barriers crumbling, he took the final plunge into the truth. “I had too many solitary birthdays growing up. I didn’t want you to be alone today if I could help it.”

Lex held his breath when Chloe lowered her eyes again to her drink. When she looked back at Lex, it was with a small smile. “You said there were a couple of reasons?” she prompted.

Lex’s smile of relief spread across his face and he was rewarded with a larger smile from her. As long as he had started with honesty, he might as well continue. So, the truth it was, but . . . perhaps a toned-down version of the truth would be safer.

“I want to get to know you, Chloe,” he said simply. “I don’t have a lot of friends in Smallville—hell, I think we both know I have exactly one friend in Smallville,” he laughed. “Partly because most people seem to think I’m the Prince of Darkness,” he bowed his head when she lifted her glass in a mocking salute, “but largely because most of the people there don’t have enough intellect or wit to hold my interest for any length of time. I know that must make me seem unbelievably arrogant, but it’s true. Even Clark; don’t get me wrong, he’s a great friend, but . . .”

“Not likely to sit down and have an in-depth discussion with you about anything other than his parents or Lana?” Chloe supplied.

Lex grinned. “Exactly. I can talk to him, but he doesn’t challenge me. He doesn’t often surprise me. You, on the other hand . . .” He shook his head slightly. “I never know quite what to expect from you.” He gestured to the stage. “I never would have pegged you as a musical fan, for example.”

“Oh!” Chloe said suddenly. “That reminds me.” He caught his breath as she leaned forward, crossing one leg over the other and effectively baring a good portion of both. Hoping she hadn’t noticed the slight catch in his breathing, he made an effort to concentrate on her words. “How on earth did you know that I like musicals? No one knows I like this music, not even my dad. And how did you know I liked this one, especially? Was it just a coincidence, or did you have some kind of motive for choosing it?”

“Ah, she’s gone into reporter mode,” he teased. Surely she had figured out how he had discovered her secret, unless . . . could she not be aware of it?

“Ha, ha. Funny.” She rolled her eyes. “Seriously, how did you know?”

“You really don’t know, do you?” he mused, an evil little smile playing around his lips. Oh, this was going to be too much fun.

“Know what???” She bounced slightly in her seat, and for one of the first times in his life Lex was grateful to his father for forcing him to learn how to hide his emotions.

Lex cleared his throat. “I, um . . . well, I suppose you don’t realize that you tend to hum to yourself when you’re wearing headphones, do you?”

The color drained from Chloe’s face. “I do not,” she protested, but her voice lacked any real conviction.

“Sometimes you sing under your breath, too.” Unable to help the smirk on his face, Lex did his best to hide it behind his champagne. Chloe’s color came back with a vengeance, her cheeks burning bright red even in the dim light.

“Oh, god,” she moaned. Her eyes squeezed shut, and he was willing to bet that she was thinking back over all the times she had listened to her music in public. While it was fairly amusing to see her so distraught over something which was—in Lex’s mind, at least—fairly insignificant, he wanted her to enjoy tonight, not spend it in the throes of humiliation. He reached out and took her hand, causing her to look at him again.

“Don’t worry, Chloe.” He smiled, somewhat sheepishly, and unconsciously started to trace small circles on her palm. “Not many people would peg me as a musical fan, either.” She looked at him blankly, not seeming to make the connection. “Think about it, Chloe,” he prompted her. “I had to be familiar enough with them to know what songs you were singing without having to ask.”

Chloe absently nibbled on her bottom lip for a moment before tilting her lips into a lopsided smile. “I won’t tell if you won’t,” and she held up her glass.

Lex smirked at that. ‘Good girl,’ he thought proudly. ‘Make sure I know you have me as cold as I have you.’ He tapped his glass to hers as he answered. “Deal.” They both drank, and he gestured to the food sitting in front of them. “I didn’t think we’d have time for dinner. I had anticipated it taking us longer to get here.” He gave her a significant look and she grinned unrepentantly at him. He tried unsuccessfully to hide his amusement. “Would you like something to eat?”

Chloe nodded and reached for a piece of fruit, and Lex sat transfixed at the sight of her bringing a plump red strawberry to her mouth. Her lips wrapped around the fruit and at the first bite she closed her eyes with a little sound of pleasure; an image of her naked and arching beneath him flashed through Lex’s mind when he heard her. With his gaze fastened on her lips, he wondered vaguely if he could draw that same noise from her, or if she would make entirely different sounds when he was inside her. Her eyes opened again and saw Lex staring at her.

One eyebrow arched and she informed him condescendingly, “You know Lex, there’s plenty more fruit right on that table if you’re hungry.”

An idea forming, Lex didn’t answer but curved his lips and reached out one hand to loosely shackle her wrist. Without breaking eye contact, he brought her hand to his mouth and bit off the rest of the sweet red fruit, his lips a hairsbreadth away from her fingers, so close he could almost taste her. She blinked when he released her wrist, the same wicked grin still on his face. Then she looked down at the green stem in her fingers and frowned at him. She plucked another strawberry from the pile. When he raised an eyebrow at her she glared playfully at him.

“Nuh-uh, this one’s mine. Get your own.”

He chuckled and took a piece of bread, glad that she still felt comfortable enough with him to respond that way. Simply another layer added on to their usual banter, that was all it was. And he wondered when exactly he had started to think of Chloe Sullivan in a context where that distinction was important. His curiosity was caught when she took another sip of her champagne and her features softened into a small smile.

“What?”

Her smile widened. “I was just thinking: when I got up this morning, if someone had told me that by the end of the day I’d be sitting with Lex Luthor enjoying champagne and strawberries, I would’ve tried to have them committed.”

He smirked, thinking back on his reactions to her tonight. “Life’s just full of unexpected twists.”

They finished off their glasses and savored another as they ate their fill. After a few minutes they fell back into the comforting randomness of their conversations—who would win in a fist fight: Abraham Lincoln or Aquaman?—before the lights finally dimmed. Lex watched as Chloe settled back in her seat, noted the excitement on her face that soon turned to rapt attention. Despite his better intentions, he spent the first act paying more attention to Chloe than to what was going on onstage. He had taken a few other women to the theater before, but none had shown any real interest in the show. Watching Chloe as she watched the stage was entrancing. Her emotions moved unchecked across her face, void of all pretense.

He watched as, during Jekyll’s transformation, her eyes grew wide and her fingers began unconsciously gripping the arm of her chair. Slowly, cautiously, he reached out and covered her hand with his. Eyes still glued to the stage, she turned her hand over and gripped his, their fingers interweaving. An unexpected surge of warmth and calm swept through him; as Hyde’s voice faded away, Lex waited for Chloe to remove her hand from his. Much to his surprise they remained locked together for the rest of the act, though her grip was looser now, more relaxed. It was an easy feeling, and one that Lex savored.

The curtain went down for intermission and Chloe simply sat there, seemingly oblivious to the fact that people were clapping. When she finally surfaced from her daze, she glanced down at their entwined hands. Lex couldn’t fight his amusement as her cheeks once again stained that adorable pink. She casually extracted herself from his grip and reached for her glass; she might have pulled off the look of nonchalance if it wasn’t for the blush that was still lingering on her cheeks. She glanced back at him, and seeing the look of self-consciousness in her eyes he decided to let the incident drop. Certain that she would make an attempt to throw him off-topic, he waited as she took a sip of her drink and turned to look at him.

“You know, I never really liked Emma.”

So they stayed where they were during intermission, going over their favorite and least favorite parts with each other. Before long Chloe was back to normal, and they engaged in a rather heated debate about whether the show was better with “Good And Evil” or “Bring on the Men.” When the second act started, Chloe once again sat riveted to her seat, and he once again found himself watching her. From the time that Hyde plunged a knife into Lucy’s chest until the last note rang through the still air, tears ran unchecked down her face, an outpouring of emotion that she made no attempt to control. This time, when the last chord echoed in the air, she stood and applauded as if there was no tomorrow.

When the curtain calls started, Lex heard the soft sound of the door to their box opening. Slipping unnoticed from Chloe’s side, he crossed the small space and handed the usher a generous tip in return for their coats.

“Thank you, Mr. Luthor, sir,” the man murmured discretely. “Your car will be waiting out front for you.” With that, he slipped from the room as quietly as he had entered.

Lex slipped his coat on and stepped forward as the last actor left the stage. Chloe glanced to her right, undoubtedly expecting to see Lex standing next to her. Before she could turn he reached out to place the wrap around her, letting his fingers brush over her smooth skin. He felt her shiver, and as his hands retreated he let them linger—just for a moment—on her shoulder.

‘What the hell am I doing?’ he wondered. In the space of a breath the entire situation had become surreal, almost dreamlike. Called forth by the mysterious whims of his brain, song lyrics began dancing through his head. It truly was unreal; the only reason he knew it was actually happening was the certainty that even his potent imagination would never have the audacity to come up with something like this. Chloe Sullivan here in front of him in a dress that would undoubtedly be prominently featured in his dreams tonight—a situation so unexpected that it could never be anything but reality. She turned to face him, her movements graceful but just a bit hesitant.

Their eyes locked and he marveled at how open her gaze was. Entranced, he read the emotions that played so clearly there. Confusion, primarily, with a touch of fear. Was she afraid of him? She should be—his reputation as a dangerous and ruthless man had not been bestowed without reason. He knew that there was something dark coiled within him, waiting for a lapse in his control to spring free. He had felt it when his father lay trapped beneath debris in the midst of a tornado, and again when he shot Roger Nixon in the woods. The next part of the song floated through his mind, although he was fairly certain that Chloe would punch him if she knew that he was thinking of her as a frightened princess, artistic license or no. Because there in her eyes, behind and around the fear, was the sheer determination that was so much a part of her. And on its heels was something else, something hungry . . . but before he could define it her eyes lowered, and a split second later she was back to a more recognizable version of herself.

“Why thank you, Lex,” she gushed, her face a comical imitation of a helpless damsel. “I don’t know how I ever would have managed to put my coat on without your help.” He couldn’t help but be amused at her obvious mockery of a wide-eyed, swooning female. “Why, heaven only knows how I managed to get all of these complicated clothes on all by myself.”

Lex couldn’t say what drove him: part of him wanted to send her running for cover, wanted her to know the danger of such unknowingly provocative statements. Another part of him entirely had already been overwhelmed with images of helping her out of said clothes, of laying her out beneath him and discovering exactly what every square inch of her tasted like. In any case, both sides of him were urging him towards the same response, and he didn’t try to fight the slow, seductive tilt of his lips or the hunger he knew was gleaming in his eyes. As he leaned forward he caught her scent, and his voice came out lower, rougher, as the animal inside of him stirred.

“Well, if you think you’ll need any help removing them, I’d be more than willing to lend a hand.”

For a moment he was drowning in the shock and yes, the desire, that sprang in Chloe’s eyes. He could see her trying to formulate a response, and he saw the exact moment when she gave that up as hopeless. As much as he could see, however, he wasn’t prepared for what came next.

She stuck out her tongue at him.

He blinked once, startled when the tension crackling between them was so abruptly broken. His lips began to twitch at the sheer absurdity of what had just happened. The warning look in Chloe’s eyes was all that kept him quiet as he leaned back, his body shaking with barely contained laughter. Obviously trying to regain some of her dignity, Chloe rolled her eyes and brushed past him. He managed to control himself enough to catch up with her at the door, and his hand went to the small of her back in an unconsciously possessive gesture. Every now and then he would begin laughing again, but as long as he kept silent Chloe seemed willing to let it go. By the time they reached the street he was under control again and, true to his word, Arthur had ensured that the Jaguar was pulling up to the curb as they exited the building. He opened the door for Chloe, then rounded to the other side, slipping the valet another tip as their paths crossed. Once he was settled in his seat Chloe turned to him, a grin lighting up her face.

“Y’know, I think I like Arthur.”

“He does have his uses,” Lex agreed before focusing on merging safely into the heavy traffic around the theater. Once they were ensconced in the flow of cars, he glanced at Chloe from the corner of his eyes. “So, where to next?”

“Next?”

Lex nodded somberly, as if he were about to impart the wisdom of the ages. “Yes. I have it on good authority that ‘a girl is always supposed to get whatever she wants on her birthday.’ So, milady, your wish is my command.” Unable to resist the temptation when baiting her had been so fun earlier, he shot her another glance. “All you have to do, Chloe, is tell me what you want.”

Chloe sat perfectly still, absently biting her lower lip as she seemed to wage some kind of internal battle. “Well,” she started, her tone that of someone talking more to herself than anything else, “first I’d like to get out of this dress . . .”

Lex fought his own personal battle for all of about two seconds. After all, if she was going to set him up so perfectly . . .

“Like I said, if you want any help with that, just let me know.” His only response to her glare was a playful wink, at which she snorted adorably and continued with her self-narration.

“Other than changing clothes,” another glare warned him to keep silent, “what else . . . I think I’d mostly just like to unwind. I guess we should head back to Smallville.”

Once Lex had obediently headed out of town Chloe had sat silently for almost half of the ride, apparently deep in thought. They had turned on the radio to fill the silence, and gentle strains of classical music filled the car. A sudden burst of animation from Chloe caught Lex off guard and the car swerved slightly.

“Oh!” She turned down the volume on the radio, then swiveled in her seat so that she was facing him. “Watch a movie with me! Please?”

“A movie?” he asked, unsure of why she was so excited, and why it had taken her so long to come up with that.

“Well . . . it’s a very specific movie and there are very specific conditions,” she continued.

Now he was starting to get suspicious. “What movie? And what conditions?”

She shook her head. “Nuh-uh. Promise first, and I’ll tell you the rest when we get to my house.”

“Your house, huh?”

“That’s one of the conditions. Please, Lex?” She gazed at him hopefully, apparently not above begging.

He glanced at her and groaned at the naked pleading he saw on her face. “Do people ever say no to you when you turn that look on them?” he asked rhetorically. She broke into an ear-to-ear grin.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

Before he had time to anticipate what she was doing, she leaned across the small space and pressed an enthusiastic kiss to his cheek. Sinking back down in her seat, Chloe turned the volume on the radio back up. This time music was accompanied by the sound of Chloe’s nervous humming, but after a time even that died down. The road stretched out black before him and he berated himself for letting the situation get so uncomfortable. She wouldn’t have been so nervous about such a simple gesture if he hadn’t been throwing innuendo at her all evening. What was going on with him? He had only a fraction of his usual control tonight, and he needed to figure out why. Maybe if he started at the beginning of this whole escapade. He remembered he had been sitting at his desk, looking over the plant’s quarterly report…

HYDE:
    Will the ghosts go away? -
    LUCY:
    No -

HYDE:
    Will she will them to stay? -
    LUCY:
    No -

HYDE:
    Either way, there's no way to win!
    LUCY:
    No!