+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Affair To Forget (PG-13)

Storyteller

An Affair To Forget (PG-13)

CATEGORY: ROMANCE

Author's Note: No matter what happens, don't run away. Please. You may feel the urge to close this screaming but don't. It's not worth it

Disclaimer: Nobody's mine, although if they were... SV's going to be all about Lex.

An Affair to Forget

Part 1 The Man She Married

She has been waiting for him an entire day. Chloe perked up at the sound of motor. She eagerly anticipated the door opening to reveal her very tired, but still very handsome man.

“Mrs. Luthor, I’m home!” came the cheery call from outside. The door swung open and she squealed and raced towards him. She caught only his surprised look before launching herself into his arms forcefully. He wrapped his arms around her tightly so that if they lost balance, he could make sure to take the brunt of the fall. “Excited to see me, babe?”

Chloe grinned at her husband and pulled him into the house with her. He remembered to kick the door shut behind him and grope for the knob to push the lock. “I’ve been sitting on my hands all day!”

“I hope they’re not sore and numb,” he replied, tongue in cheek.

She couldn’t restrain a giggle as she pushed him onto a chair in the dining room. “I want to have a taste of this.”

He followed her with his eyes, his eyebrows arched when she bent low by the oven, her butt exposed high up in the air. “I wouldn’t mind having a taste of that.”

Chloe laughed and turned to face him with a cookie tray completely covered by what appeared to be hardened dough. “Why, Mr. Luthor, you’re very frisky tonight!” She walked over to him, placed the tray in front of him on the table, sat on his lap, and kissed the tip of his nose. “Besides, we’ll get to that later,” she whispered teasingly, “but right now I want to know if I’ve finally succeeded.”

“What are they?” he asked. She sucked in her breath at his question. When he saw her frown, he immediately worked to repair the damage. “Cookies. They’re cookies. I meant, what flavor.”

Chloe rolled her eyes, picked up, or rather tried to pick one up. The cookie seemed stuck to the metal so she stood up, took a bread knife from the sink and forced it off. The cookie was thrown up into the air, and Chloe watched in horror as the split parts flew.

Fortunately for her, her husband caught them in one hand and stuffed them quickly in his mouth. He nodded convincingly. “Mmmhhmmm,” he murmured, his mouth full. “Mmmhhhmmmhhmmhmmm!”

She smiled brilliantly at him. “What is it? What is it?”

His eyes scanned the room quickly for any clue as to the identity of the hardened dough. Peeking from the top of the trashcan was a pack of coconut powder. He breathed a sigh of relief, forced himself to swallow, and said triumphantly. “Coconut!”

Her eyes lit up, and she embraced him tightly. “You like it?”

“I love it, Chloe.”

“Great! I’ll make sure you can take some to work tomorrow!”

And he was going to have to find a way to dispose of it without her suspecting. He reached for her and wrapped his arms about his waist. He would not swallow anything inedible for any other woman. She gave a pleased sigh when he pulled her closer and she straddled his thighs. “I would love that. But won’t you be too tired?”

“I don’t do anything all day,” she protested. “I should really get a life, you know.”

“You don’t need to work, Chloe. I’ll take care of both of us.”

She ran her hands over his tight shoulders. Her fingers played at the short hair on his nape and she leaned closer to kiss him. He buried his hands in her hair and deepened the kiss. “Lucas,” she gasped as his lips moved to her ear. “You can’t sweep this topic under the rug with sex again. I will need to help out with the bills. You’re barely making enough.”

“We don’t lack for anything,” he murmured against her skin. “I provide well, don’t I?”

And he was right. Every since she could remember, Lucas had done everything in his power so that she would never have to worry. “I just don’t want you working yourself to death for me. I’m perfectly capable of helping out.”

“Chloe, no,” he told her seriously. He pulled away for a minute and tipped her head to face him squarely in the eye. “Promise me you won’t go out looking for a job while I’m at work.” She remained quiet and he sighed. “I love taking care of you, Chloe. I’ve been doing it all this time.”

She raised her hand to cup his cheek. “I know. It’s the first thing I remember in the morning, waking up to find you beside my bed, asking me how I felt.”

“Good, baby. That’s all you need to remember.”

“I can’t help thinking there’s more to my life than being your wife—not that I don’t like it, Lucas. I adore it. I adore you. But there’s got to be more to me than this.”

She could see in his eyes how his mood had fallen. The drastic change was apparent in the way his arms around her slackened. Unable to stand seeing him so sad (he was a boy in so many ways still) she rose from his lap and pulled him with her up the stairs to their bedroom.

Lying beside him, her head pillowed on his outstretched arm, she whispered, “I hope you’re not mad at me, Lucas. I just know there’s more to me than this.”

Her eyes fluttered closed and her breathing steadied as she joined him in sleep. Like the past two days, flashes of a dream disturbed her. They were events which she had no recollection of, but everything seemed just at the edge of familiar.

She was lying down on a bed. From the looks of the room, it was a hospital. Chloe had been to Smallville General several times and a few times to Metropolis. This was not either. She held a small bottle in her hands. Chloe wiped at her cheeks and when she looked down, she could see that her palm was wet. She looked up and found Lucas’ intent eyes focused on her. “If you really want to put this behind you, Chloe, all you have to do is take that.”

“I can’t just—“

“Does it hurt?” he asked compassionately.

“So much,” she whispered. And in that dream, Chloe felt the ache in her heart spreading through her entire body.

He wrapped his arms around her and she felt him brush a kiss on the top of her head. “Don’t worry about… after. If you decide to do this, I’ll look after you.”

“I can’t burden you with that. I’ll recover. I have to.”

He closed him hand over the bottle and clasped her hand. “I gave you that, Chloe. I’ll deal with the repercussions.”

“I can’t believe it’s all come to this,” she said. “I hate your entire family, Lucas.”

“No argument here,” he told her softly.

“If—if I take this, what happens to my dad?”

His grip on her hand tightened, and she almost winced at the pain. “Chloe,” he said in a low voice, “this isn’t the best time to tell you.”

“Lucas, what happened?” she demanded. “Your father promised me—“

“He’s dead, Chloe. Mr. Sullivan’s gone.”

She turned her head away when he would have touched her cheek. “Can you leave me alone?”

He took a deep breath. “I don’t know if I should.”

“Look, I know you’re here because of your brother,” she gritted out. “So just leave me the hell alone for a few minutes while I gather my thoughts, okay?”

“Fuck Lex. You think I’ve been hanging around this shit hot country because of my brother?” Chloe didn’t answer. She waved him away. “I should’ve met you in Smallville, Chloe. We would have blown out of there and never looked back.”

“Shut up, Luthor, and give me some privacy.”

Chloe waited until Lucas had shuffled out of the room before pulling her sore body to a sitting position. She couldn’t stop the tears now. Crybaby. One day of fucking bliss and then it shattered. Damn Lionel Luthor and damn Lex even more. He couldn’t even be bothered to come and visit her when he put her there in the first place.

Her hands fluttered to her flat stomach. Chloe closed her eyes tightly because hopefully that will keep the tears from falling. It was an exercise in futility when she started sobbing at the new emptiness she felt there.

She raised the small bottle of potent liquid that Lucas had managed to procure from her. The government had reason to shut down the Luthor plant in this country if they could produce chemicals as strong as this. A brisk knock on the door and Chloe met his eyes briefly before she tipped the contents down her throat.

Chloe woke up coughing. She sat up in bed and tried to catch her breath, but only ended up choking even more. Lucas sat up beside her and ran his warm hand up and down her back. “Chloe, are you alright? What was it, babe? Bad dream?”

She took the glass of water that he offered her and slowly sipped. “Lucas,” she whispered, “you’re an only child right?”

His breath was warm on her neck as he kissed the goosebumps on her skin, but succeeded only on giving her more. “I am, Chloe. Why?”

“Nothing. I just… it was a bad dream.” He wrapped his arms tightly around her as they went back to bed. Lucas covered her shivering legs with his as he placed kisses all over her face. She closed her eyes, trying to remember faces of Lex or Lionel or even Mr. Sullivan, whose grave her husband had once taken her to. But there was no other significant face in her memory except for Lucas’. She fell asleep, disturbed, but dismissing it in the meantime. She must have been a writer before the car accident that Lucas had told her caused the memory loss.

tbc

frogprincess
    Just a Guest!
    Ooh. I'm intrigued.

I almost fell off my chair when she said "Lucas" instead of "Lex". Very close.

My gum did fall out of my mouth when I started gaping at the computer though. :blush:

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!
    Already sent you my in-depth review, but I wanted to let you know again how much I like the beginning of this. Please write more soon.

demoness
    Hair? :huh: What hair? I thought when I read this. You really had me going! Wow, really great fic. Write some more please! :chlexsign2:

Sugar&Spice of the gutter Senior Member Queen Of Tact's Avatar
    Oh I like, but Lucas!!! She should be with Lex, but for now I'll go along with u on this...lol... Please post more soon....

CC
    "I am scared that I'm always going to be somebody's friend or sister or confidant, but never quite somebody's everything."

odd duck
    Wow, that was very suprising, a great begining. I can't wait to read more.

Storyteller
    Part 2 A Paradise to Come

Lucas Luthor settled back on the comfortable seats that the company’s private plane provided. He sighed and smiled, just out of the blue. Even his father’s demand for the quarterly meetings with his sons did not diminish the happiness that had been lighting his entire week.

It had been difficult to leave her. It was always hard for him to kiss her goodbye at their front door. This time, the parting was even more reluctant because of the recent information.

Due to two weeks of mild illness, he had taken his wife to the hospital for a check-up. Imagine the shock that paralyzed him to find out that they were expecting a child to further strengthen their family. Lucas could hardly believe the amazing development. He had one less thing to worry about. The fear that one day she would remember and leave him was easing with every kiss. With a baby they created together, Lucas was certain that Chloe would be with him forever. No matter what events occur or memories that come back, their bond was unbreakable now. And the lock that sealed that relationship was even now growing inside her.

He closed his eyes and relished in the memory of her arms wrapped around him, clinging to his shoulders as she asked him not to leave. Her eyes were moist when she agreed that his work was important and that she would be waiting. He could clearly see the image he created in his mind of her welcoming her home, her belly one month larger, her breasts one month fuller, her heart one month fonder.

He blinked at the steady, annoying noise. Lucas turned and found the flight attendant waiting for his attention. “What is it?”

“Sir, it’s a video call for you. It’s your brother.” She turned on the video phone in front of him and walked sedately back to the cabin.

“How is Spain this time of the year?” greeted the Luthor on the screen.

As with all the times that they have faced each other, Lucas tamped down the heavy feeling in his heart. “Lovely as always. The matador festival will be coming soon. I intend to be home by that time.”

“Of course you will,” Lex assured his brother. “I doubt that this meeting will take long. Father just needs to see that we’re both still under his thumb.”

“And he couldn’t do this by video conferencing? I would have preferred to stay in Barcelona.”

“Your wife must be one heck of a woman to tie you down like that. You’re a drifter, Lucas. It takes a uniquely brilliant sun to keep a man like you from wandering.”

A mention of her and Lucas was sure he was probably perspiring now. He was grateful that the screen would not catch such a tiny detail. He informed Lex that he married, and for all that Lex knew, Lucas had tied the knot to a Spanish woman he had met in the part of the empire he was given. Lex never extended an invitation to meet her. It helped that Lucas’ marriage was around the same time when Lex suffered a loss and betrayal of his own. He had no wish to observe evidence that his brother found the happiness that he himself had not. “You have to understand, Lex. I want to be with her. We’re—we’re expecting. Just found out yesterday.”

It was apparent even in the small screen how devastation flitted across the older Luthor’s features. Lex quickly hid the reaction. “You should have told dad. I’m sure he wouldn’t have insisted on this meeting if he knew.”

Lucas shook his head. “He would have insisted I bring her along, Lex. I wouldn’t have had the time to explain.”

“Are you still telling her that crap about being a sales agent? Why don’t you just tell her? It’s not like you’re afraid she’ll be with you for your money.”

“How is Manila, Lex?”

Lex smirked at the abrupt change in topic. “Manila is Manila. Same hot hell it’s been since my exile. Even worse is that despite the freaking heat, there’s a tropical storm heading close by. On the upside, dad has no reason to grill me. LuthorCorp Pacific posted an impressive revenue this quarter.” He flipped through some papers on his desk. “It looks like you’ll be heading home to your wife soon. EuroLuthor did even better than the mother company.”

Matching the statistical graphs of the Pacific and European branches, Lex started to congratulate his brother on the performance of their company. He waited for an acknowledgment. When none came, he glanced up at the screen and found it static. Lex frowned and redialed.

‘The number you are calling is out of coverage.’

The hell it was. The line was just cut and their global positioning satellite reached the deepest cave on earth.

Lex picked up the phone on his desk and dialed air control. “Don’t do this, Lucas,” he muttered, looking out the window at the darkened skies. “Don’t fucking do this.”

~~

She sighed in her sleep, her hand involuntarily seeking her belly. Chloe smiled and drifted deeper into her dream.

She sat cross-legged on a checkered blanket at the bottom of a small hillock. It was the replica of a famous volcano, thirty feet high but perfectly coned at the top. She had no idea how she knew that particular detail, but with the sun shining high above her and snacks spread before her, she didn’t bother to find out.

“You’re going to burn your skin off.” And then there was shade. Chloe looked up but couldn’t see the man’s face, silhouetted as he was. With the sun shining behind him, all she could discern was that he was bald.

She was drawing an envelope from her purse now. Chloe noticed appreciatively that her bag was woven abaca that matched the sandals at the edge of the blanket. All around her was vast grassland and she was the flower in the floral sundress.

Chloe handed the envelope to the man. She could feel her heart racing, although she did not know why. What was so important in that envelope that made the man gasp? The paper fluttered down to the blanket and she smiled up at him.

“God, this is perfect!” he sighed. He knelt in front of her, and with the sun still behind him, she saw nothing of his features but that brief spark of the blue in his eyes. His arms wrapped around her waist and she rested her hands at his nape, allowing him to lay her down on the blanket and cover her body with his. “You’re perfect,” he said. “We’re going to be perfect, the three of us,” he promised, and her heart soared.

She turned her head and looked at the paper caught underneath a mango. Chloe’s lips parted when she read the words printed there.

“Names,” he said. “We’ll think of names. And we’ll go shopping for everything it needs.”

“Lex,” she said, puzzling her again. “It’s too early.”

“I don’t care,” he whispered against the crook of her neck. “We’re going to look for a house, Chloe. I’m going to design the nursery.”

“Will you let me help?” she teased.

“Maybe.”

“Why did you bring your phone? You promised you wouldn’t,” she protested.

Chloe stirred on the couch when the ringing didn’t stop. She sat up and saw the cordless telephone on the coffee table blinking, and then realized that it wasn’t a dream. She reached for it. “Hola!” she greeted. By this time, Lucas would be calling from Madrid, where he usually signed contracts for the chemical sales.

“Señora Luthor,” the low voice came from the other end.

“Si.” Chloe rose and went to the kitchen to get some milk. She really needed something to wet her suddenly dry throat. Too bad she wasn’t allowed coffee anymore. She couldn’t even claim that she forgot the rule. Lucas had it plastered on the refrigerator and the coffee maker. ‘BABY DOESN’T LIKE CAFFEINE. DADDY WON’T APPRECIATE MOMMY HYPED ON CAFFEINE.’ “Soy aqui. Quien es tu?”

“Señora,” the man said slowly, “tu hablas ingles?”

“I’m American,” she informed the caller. “Why?”

“Mrs. Luthor, I’m calling about your husband Lucas.”

Chloe grabbed the edge of the sink. There was something about the sober was that the man said that that made her faint and woozy. “He’s on his way to Madrid. His train left a few hours ago.”

“No, Mrs. Luthor,” the man imparted. “I will be going there to fetch you. I would not have wanted you to find out this way. Lucas’ plane was reported lost over the South China Sea.”

“What?” she whispered.

“We will need you here.”

“Who is this?” she demanded. “Lucas is in Madrid, not flying to Asia!”

“Mrs. Luthor, your husband has been traveling here four times a year. He is vice president of EuroLuthor.”

“Who the hell is this?”

“I’m his brother, Mrs. Luthor. And I know that we are complete strangers, but this crisis will bring us closer. I assure you. We take care of family. I will be leaving right now to get you personally. Wait for me okay?”

“This isn’t true,” she denied softly, although what the man said made sense. Lucas did leave for weeks of every quarter. And for a chemical sales agent’s salary, they had an impossible carte blanche over anything they would ever need.

“I’ll explain everything on the way back here. Just wait.”

“Lucas does not have a brother!”

“He does. I’m sorry he never told you. Lucas is a complicated young man,” the caller explained. “Please. I only got your address. Wait for Lex Luthor.”

Chloe gasped and dropped the phone to the floor, where it cracked open and sent the small screws and parts rolling all over the kitchen tiles.

tbc

Sunflow
    Just a Guest!
    Oh my, this is so good :chlexsign3:

But he must have recognized her voice, right?
    And the baby.. oooh. Can't wait to read the next part!! :chlexsign1:

Sunflow

Signature Removed

Sugar&Spice of the gutter Senior Member Queen Of Tact's Avatar
    Wow!!! I can't wait to find out what happend that was so bad that Chloe wanted to forget everything! Now she is going to see Lex and wont have a clue who he is... I can't wait... Please please post more again soon...

CC
    "I am scared that I'm always going to be somebody's friend or sister or confidant, but never quite somebody's everything."

odd duck
    *eep* I can't wait for the next part. Is Chloe going to remember when she sees Lex?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information