Thread: The Bachelor (R)

scifichick774
    Just a Guest!

The Bachelor (R)

Title: The Bachelor
    Author: scifichick774
    Rating: R
    Category: Romance/Humor/Drama
    Spoilers: Everything through the spoilers for season 3 at Kryptonsite.
    Summary: Semi x-over with the reality show of the same name. Chloe/Lex
    Disclaimer: Obviously not mine. I’m just playing with the imaginary characters’ lives for fun and not for profit.
    Archival: Sure – just let me know where.
    Author’s Note: Kind of a rip-off of Rant’s reality show idea, so thanks for that hon. Also, you should know that I don’t watch the show that this sort of crosses over with (The Bachelor), so there will probably be a lot of inconsistencies. Just ignore them and pretend that they’re not there if you’re a fan of the other show. Oh – and Lana will be slightly OOC – because I’d like to believe that she becomes less self-centered after she marries Pete.

~*~*~*~*~*~

*Beep*

“Hey honey, it’s Dad. Just called to see how the meeting went. Give me a call back when you get home.”

Chloe sighed and tiredly ran a hand around the back of her neck. The meeting in question had gone exceptionally well, but the promotion her editor had offered her as a field correspondent would mean a move back to Kansas – Metropolis specifically – and she wasn’t sure she wanted that.

After all, there were reasons that she chose to go to college in Gotham; that she took extraordinarily heavy class-loads to graduate a full year early; and that she took a job in that city despite offers from other papers across the country.

Though it was true that she missed seeing her dad more than a couple of times a year, she had no desire to tempt fate and pick at old wounds.

*Beep*

The sound of the answering machine signaling another message snapped her out of her thoughts and she found herself staring at the small black plastic box expectantly.

“Miss Sullivan,” a chipper female voice started. “This is Janice Gooding with ‘The Bachelor’. I have great news for you!”

Chloe furrowed her brow in confusion and then reached out with her hand, her index finger hovering above the delete button as the woman continued.

“Your friend Lana Ross sent in an application for you to be a contestant on our show; and from that, the pictures, and the candid video footage we received, we’ve selected you to be a participant for our next show.”

Chloe’s eyes widened as Janice left her office number – a number whose area code she recognized as being in Los Angeles – and said that she’d be receiving a packet via courier the next day with release papers for her to sign and travel accommodations to the island where the show was going to be filmed this time.

Chloe listened to the message again to assure herself that she had indeed heard it correctly and then gritted her teeth as she removed her cordless phone from its base on the wall.

She grumbled under her breath and paced impatiently while she held the phone to her ear and waited for someone to pick up on the other end of the line.

“Hello?”

“Hey Pete – it’s Chloe.”

“Hey! How’s it going?!” Pete asked excitedly. “Gotham treating you okay?”

“Fine – good,” Chloe answered, not wanting to get into specifics of what was going on in her life at that exact moment. “You?”

“*Really* good. Just found out last week that Luthor’s gonna be out of town for a whole two weeks next month.”

Chloe smiled.

“I still can’t believe you’re working for him.”

Pete snorted.

“Join the club,” he said. “And it’s been what? Almost three years now?”

Chloe blinked. Had that much time really gone by? She quickly did the minor calculations in her mind, remembering that Pete had finally sucked up his pride and pitiful family vengeance to get a job at Lex Corp when Lana told him that she was pregnant with their first child. It had been Chloe’s second year in Gotham, the year before she graduated, so the timing fit.

“Wow.”

“Yeah. So what were you calling about?”

“Actually, I needed to talk to Lana. Is she there?”

“Yep. Hold on a sec.”

She heard him call out Lana’s name even though the receiver was muffled by what she assumed was Pete’s hand.

“Chloe?”

“Lana,” greeted tersely, though not as much anger fueling her voice as there would have been if she hadn’t spoken to Pete first. “You’re a dead woman.”

“Excuse me?”

“You signed me up to be on *‘The Bachelor’*?”

“Oh,” Lana said. “Oh! What happened? Did they call you? Do they want to set up an interview…or…they didn’t turn you down, did they?”

“They want me to be on their next show,” Chloe sourly informed her. “Apparently all the stuff you sent them was enough for them to bypass this interview thing you mentioned.”

“Chloe! That’s great!”

“No. No it’s not. If I wanted to be on some stupid reality show, then I would have signed up myself, Lana.”

“No you wouldn’t have.”

“Because I don’t want to be on the show!”

“Chloe…” Lana said, trailing off as she thought about how best to phrase her argument. “When was the last time you went out on a date?”

“Last week.”

“Oh,” Lana said in surprise, causing Chloe to roll her eyes. “Well, when was the last time you went out with the same guy more than once?”

“It’s called being selective, Lana.”

“It’s called being a workaholic, Chloe,” Lana countered. “It’s like you’ve been super driven toward nothing but journalism since junior year.”

Chloe closed her eyes as Lana’s words brought back memories that she had trying desperately to repress.

She had gotten in over her head while trying to gain information on her friend Clark Kent for Lionel Luthor. His son, Lex, offered to come to her rescue, but then fell into a web of lies and drugs that Lionel wove for him, and she had to end up rescuing him instead by helping Clark to get Lex out of a mental institution.

The next half year bounced her back and forth in the ongoing battle between the Luthor men, the end of which was brought on by Lex copying his father’s example and drugging him; but the substance he used wasn’t intended to make Lionel seem crazy to everyone else, it was given to kill him.

Chloe lived with the guilt every day that she had never turned Lex in even though she had witnessed everything; trying to ease it over time with the same excuse she had given herself at the time: Lionel made Lex’s life a living hell from day one and he would have destroyed hers as well. He needed to be taken care of.

She realized that Lana was still prattling on about something and took a breath as she tried to focus on what the other woman was saying.

“You’ll kill yourself if you keep living that way. You need some sort of balance.”

“And competing with a bunch of other women over some loser is supposed to provide that balance?”

“Well…not when you put it that way. I just meant marriage in general,” Lana said. Chloe sighed and Lana frowned sympathetically. “If nothing else, it’s being held on an island in the Caribbean this time. Maybe you could just look at it like a vacation. And who knows? You might like the guy.”

~*~*~*~

Three weeks later...the island of St. Vincent…

“Okay, now that we’ve gone over all the rules and introductions, I’d like to remind you – before we bring out our bachelor – that all of the paperwork you’ve signed is legally binding,” Chris Harrison, the host of the television program said. “Meaning: if you’re lucky enough to be that one special girl and you accept his proposal, then you will be required, and have already agreed, to sign a prenuptial agreement. Is that understood?”

Murmurs went through the crowd and the brunette sitting next to Chloe leaned toward her.

“I bet that means he’s rich,” she half-whispered, practically giddy at the prospect.

“Probably,” Chloe agreed in a bored voice.

She’d been surrounded by these people since her plane touched down two hours before and she was already sick of them. There were maybe five of the other contestants that she could stand to talk to for more than ten minutes at a time, and all of them were there because their friends or families had volunteered them as well.

The woman sitting next to her was not one of them.

Chloe glanced down at her watch. According to the itinerary that had been handed out, they had four hours of ‘mingling’ with the bachelor after he was introduced and then they got some free time while the man made his decision on who to cut from the first round.

‘*Four hours*,’ Chloe thought grimly. ‘Maybe I can just say something to let him know that I’m not interested and he’ll let me leave early.’

“Alright, then without further ado,” Chris said, bringing Chloe’s attention back up to him. “I give you, your bachelor, Lex Luthor.”

Chloe’s eyes grew wide in a combination of mortification and panic, only relaxing a little when the woman next to her scrunched up her face in disgust as Lex walked out.

“He’s *bald*,” she said with obvious repulsion. “Ugh. Just my luck. The one time I decide to go out for the show is the first time they decide to get some follicley-challenged guy. Like I really want *that* gene passed onto my kids? Not.”

Chloe opened and closed her mouth in surprise and the woman, whose nametag read ‘Cynthia’, looked over at her.

“What?” Cynthia asked.

“First of all, he’s bald because of radiation from a meteor shower he was caught in when he was a kid,” Chloe said in a hushed voice so as not to draw unwanted camera attention to herself. “And second, hair loss and baldness are passed down from the mother’s side, not the father’s.”

Preparing herself for a catty comeback or a snotty look, Chloe was taken off guard when Cynthia’s hands flew up to her hair.

“Oh God no,” she whimpered pleadingly. “You’re joking, right? Just joking?”

Chloe shook her head a little and Cynthia cringed.

“Wig?” Chloe asked compassionately.

“No – but my mom ---”

“Gotcha.”

“God. You don’t see any like…patches or anything do you?” Cynthia asked, leaning down a little so Chloe could check her hair.

“Nope. You’re all clear – er – you know what I mean,” Chloe said with an embarrassed, yet bemused smile. Cynthia let out a breath of relief. “Maybe the gene skipped you, or is recessive or whatever.”

Cynthia nodded.

“Still,” she said. “I better blow this guy off just in case. I mean, if he was really rich then he obviously could have afforded transplants or something. That prenup thing is probably just something they tell every group of women.”

Unsure of any response that wouldn’t make her sound like a bitch or inadvertently end up forcing another shallow bimbo at Lex, Chloe merely grinned.

She noticed that the women were standing up to get in a line to go shake hands with and say hello to Lex and she sighed in resignation.

‘This should be interesting.’

TBC…

Imperial Dragon Senior Member Impress's Avatar
    ok I agree with Chloe. This should be interesting. can't wait for Lex's reaction. more soon.

PHD in Procrastination Senior Member vardaquareien's Avatar
    Originally posted by scifichick774@Nov 30 2003, 02:28 PM
    ‘This should be interesting.’
    ...yeah you can say that again!!!

Poor Chloe! I would've killed Lana for doing that...well actually she wouldn't have to do anything for me to kill her!

Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with this one!

is pushing daisies Senior Member
    It's going to be hilarious to see his reaction when he see's Chloe. Can't wait for an update
    Say what you will.

Spunky Chick Senior Member hfce's Avatar
    Oh this sounds good. :biggrin: More please...

Hope :chlexsign2:
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. "

EEEEEE! This story is awesome. Great beginning. And I also can't wait to see how he reacts. Update soon pleeeease. :chlexsign1:

Miss Innocent-Or? 2005 Senior Member ColumbiaBlue's Avatar
    Loving this already!!! :yay2: :yay2: :yay2: I can't wait to see Lex's reaction when he sees Chloe!

~Manda

Oh god . . . the idea of Lex on 'The Bachelor' . . . you know, if you wanted to kill me there were easier ways. A knife. A gun. A good fast-acting poison. But no, not you. You choose to make me laugh myself to death. You're cruel, woman. CRUEL!! That being said, I can't WAIT to see what happens next! I know it's probably not why you named her Cynthia, but I just keep seeing that character from 'Days of Our Lives'. Hee! Ok, time for some islandy Chlex. And . . . ACTION!

Oh yes! I love this reality show. Can't wait to see how Lex will react when he sees Chloe there as one of the participants vie-ing for his hand. :biggrin:

BrightStar
    Just a Guest!
    Oh Kris, this is just too funny. I don't watch 'The Bachelor' either, but I am soooo ready to laugh my butt off. Like Chloe, I can't wait to see how 'interesting' this meeting turns out. More soon!

:biggrin:

~Galen

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information