+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: See Into Me - R - Chloe, Lois, Clark, Lex complete Jun 30 2008

Storyteller

Re: See Into Me - R - Chloe, Lois, Clark, Lex - 10/28

I will be updating this one soon. I was going to be it tonight but I decided to wrap up Untold Tale of the Rebel Son of Krypton first. Next in line for update is either this or Daughter of the Night.

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catheryne View Post
    I will be updating this one soon. I was going to be it tonight but I decided to wrap up Untold Tale of the Rebel Son of Krypton first. Next in line for update is either this or Daughter of the Night.
    Thanks for the reply Catheryne, I really appreciate it... ALL you readers really appreciate it

I do hope this one is next in line for the update. I really want to see how it turns out.

Storyteller

Part 3 All These Things That I Have Done

When there's nowhere else to run
    Is there room for one more son

Hidden in the dark lies a past that most would want forgotten. Not Lex Luthor. He lived and breathed the past as if he weren’t the man of the future that all of Metropolis touted him to be.

He stood behind the podium in front of two thousand seven hundred eighty four employees of LexCorp Metropolis. “All my life I’ve devoted to building this company from the ground up,” he spoke into the microphone. Lex made certain to look at distinct points in the crowd to make his audience believe that he was making eye contact with each of them. “You have all been witness to my triumphs. When we released Serum 1840 and our production skyrocketed by 68% within one quarter, you were all with me.” There was the expected applause. “When we started the factory in Ohio, many of you transferred to better positions there.” Again, that applause. To all concerned, Lex Luthor basked.

One more son
    If you can hold on
    If you can hold on, hold on

“You were witness even to my great tragedies, and suffered along with me.” Hushed murmurs weaved through the crowd. “You’ve lost family—some in the Smallville plant explosion, some in the malicious arson right here in Metropolis.” Lex paused for effect, and allowed the employees to digest his words. “So have I.”

He leaned forward, his palms down on the podium. “Many expected to see me crumble,” he continued. “Many wondered when I would give the control over to another of my executives.” He turned to the four suited men sitting behind him. “They are a fine group of men, to be certain. However I would be remiss in my duties to you, LexCorp employees, if I retreated within myself.”

He stepped back from the podium with the microphone in hand, then looked up to the veiled signage above him.

I wanna stand up, I wanna let go
    You know, you know - no you don't, you don't

“I present to you the symbol of my undying devotion to this company, and the representation of our mission and vision—the proof that we will rise from the ashes and never ever die, the testament that we are not merely a business but a humanitarian institution.” Lex pulled on the rope and revealed the large lit sign. “Phoenix Charities,” he hailed at the resounding cheers.

I wanna shine on in the hearts of men
    I want a meaning from the back of my broken hand

Lex smiled and waved at the flashing bulbs of the cameras trained on him and the executives.

He needed this. This adulation was exactly what he was looking for. After all, he had not had the best day. Receiving the news of that woman’s arrival simply revived everything that he had believed was laid to rest.

Lois Lane was back, and she had taken everything that was meant for Chloe.

There were many things he portrayed to have forgotten.

She would have found it ironic. She had fought so hard against the man he was turning into she must have never expected that it would be her actions that would seal it all.

Another head aches, another heart breaks
    I am so much older than I can take

Lex Luthor smirked at the cameras one last time before jogging down the stairs. On the way back to the building, Lex spied Pete Ross glaring at him from the sidelines where he stood together with the mayor of Metropolis. Lex gave him a curt nod. Pete responded with a blank stare.

He couldn’t blame him.

He grabbed the chair and threw it towards the dresser, shattering the mirror she used to when she combed her hair every night. Lex growled at the sight of the few remaining clothes she had left behind. He prowled over to them and tossed them into a pile at the center of the room. He lit an expensive lighter and set fire to it.

Lex turned to the picture frames hanging from the wall, of himself and Chloe laughing as if there was no tomorrow. It offended him, because she appeared so in love when the truth was that she could abandon him at any moment she pleased.

And that she did.

With a wide gesture he unhooked the frame and threw the frame against the wall.

The frame dropped behind the rocking chair.

Imported from Italy, the chair was a gift he had bought her when they found out she was pregnant.

”Ouch, ouch, ouch!” she gasped.

“Hungry, isn’t he?” he murmured with a smile.

Chloe looked up at him. “Reminds me of my appetite when I was a kid.” She then turned to look down at the suckling mouth wrapped around her nipple. “Look at him go.”

“I’m looking,” he assured her. Lex settled beside her on the rocking chair. “Gorgeous.”

He collapsed into the chair and rocked, trembling for hours until he was as close to still as he needed. That was the moment he stopped thrashing their home and turned his pent up rage towards the real culprit. His man had informed him about who handed Chloe the keys.

And my affection, well it comes and goes
    I need direction to perfection, no no no no

“Where is she Lana?” he had demanded.

Lana blinked at his words. “What are you talking about?”

Help me out
    Yeah, you know you got to help me out
    Yeah, oh don't you put me on the backburner
    You know you got to help me out, yeah

“Tell me where she is or I swear—“

“Do you think threatening me will bring Chloe back, Lex?”

Lex nodded at her words. Pete Ross’ fiancé had sealed her fate.

And when there's nowhere else to run
    Is there room for one more son
    These changes ain't changing me
    The cold-hearted boy I used to be

Day turned to night, and he waited in his house. Lex Luthor sat across the room from the shattered mirror and the pile of charred clothing. The television flickered from high up on the wall. His lips curved when he heard the sirens in the news program. A pale faced anchor spoke on the screen, frantic as she related her breaking news of the mayor’s right hand man’s house up in flames, his fiancé believed to have been trapped inside.

“We now have confirmation,” the brunette continued, excitement creeping into the solemn façade she was putting on. It had to be exciting. She was too used to reporting about biggest cookies and longest hotdogs. “Pete Ross has identified the remains salvaged from the home as Lana Lang.”

Yeah, you know you got to help me out
    Yeah, oh don't you put me on the backburner
    You know you got to help me out, yeah

Lex shrugged off the memory. Sooner or later he would be able to walk away from the past. Chloe couldn’t haunt him for too long. All he had to do was tie up all the loose ends.

You're gonna bring yourself down
    Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down
    Yeah, you're gonna bring yourself down

Lex entered the elevator and pressed the button for his floor. At the ding, he walked into his plush offices.

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

He had glass walls to give him an unobstructed view of Metropolis. Now the pest ruined what he paid for. He stopped at the sight. Superman hovered outside, staring at him, watching him.

“When will you cease this obsession?” Lex demanded in a low voice, certain Superman could hear anyway.

“When will you stop yours?” the superhero mouthed.

Over and out, last call for sin
    While everyone's lost, the battle is won
    With all these things that I've done

Lex turned away from Superman, certain that as always, he would leave. Crime never stopped. Sooner or later Superman would hear a muffled cry and glide down to save the world.

He never stopped. Superman was Metropolis’ savior. He would fly off again and save every unimportant soul he could.

All these things that I've done
    If you can hold on
    If you can hold on

“Get me Lois Lane’s new address here in the city,” he commanded. He placed the phone back in the cradle.

All these things that I've done
    If you can hold on
    If you can hold on

She came in to her apartment exhausted from her first day in the office. She tossed her bag onto the chair and stumbled towards the small bathroom. She sighed at the sight. There were rings under her eyes. She pulled back the dark hair and turned her face sideways, then squinted. The faint lines were fading now. Soon they would be gone. Soon there would be no more trace, no more evidence.

When all the signs are gone, then she would face him.

She jerked in surprise when the doorbell chimed. “Who the—“

“Lois!” called out the familiar voice. Despite all he’d done and the hatred in his heart, his voice still melted her insides. “Open the door, Lois!” he demanded.

tbc

Re: See Into Me - R - Chloe, Lois, Clark, Lex - 11/9

This was a great update… Although a little too short to be wholely satisfying, but still great reading.

Hidden in the dark lies a past that most would want forgotten. Not Lex Luthor. He lived and breathed the past as if he weren’t the man of the future that all of Metropolis touted him to be.
    I LOVED this opening sentence. In fact, I read it over three times before getting on with the rest of the fic. It’s beautifully written, and one of those rare paragraph that’s meant to be savoured for flavour and texture.

Lex made certain to look at distinct points in the crowd to make his audience believe that he was making eye contact with each of them.
    I liked the detail of this little ‘trick to win the approval of the masses’ here. Very nice.

“You were witness even to my great tragedies, and suffered along with me.” Hushed murmurs weaved through the crowd. “You’ve lost family—some in the Smallville plant explosion, some in the malicious arson right here in Metropolis.” Lex paused for effect, and allowed the employees to digest his words. “So have I.”

He leaned forward, his palms down on the podium. “Many expected to see me crumble,” he continued. “Many wondered when I would give the control over to another of my executives.” He turned to the four suited men sitting behind him. “They are a fine group of men, to be certain. However I would be remiss in my duties to you, LexCorp employees, if I retreated within myself.”
    I suppose he is referring to the arson attack that killed his and Chloe’s son. It probably WOULD have been better if Lex had taken some significant time off to deal with his loss. Instead he chose to bury himself in his work rather than spend time with Chloe and mourn properly.

He needed this. This adulation was exactly what he was looking for. After all, he had not had the best day. Receiving the news of that woman’s arrival simply revived everything that he had believed was laid to rest.
    He chose work over marriage, and he lost Chloe. I hope he really enjoys this applause now. I hope he appreciates that he chose admiration of the masses over love from his wife.

Lois Lane was back, and she had taken everything that was meant for Chloe.
    I can just sense the hard sense of resentment here. Both Clark AND Lex have a common loathing and hatred for the new Lois Lane now.

She would have found it ironic. She had fought so hard against the man he was turning into she must have never expected that it would be her actions that would seal it all.
    Is he seriously blaming Chloe for how he turned out? Is he trying to tell himself that he turned into a monster before Chloe left him… when Chloe would probably answer that she left him because he had turned into a monster.

Chicken or egg?

He grabbed the chair and threw it towards the dresser, shattering the mirror she used to when she combed her hair every night. Lex growled at the sight of the few remaining clothes she had left behind. He prowled over to them and tossed them into a pile at the center of the room. He lit an expensive lighter and set fire to it.

Lex turned to the picture frames hanging from the wall, of himself and Chloe laughing as if there was no tomorrow. It offended him, because she appeared so in love when the truth was that she could abandon him at any moment she pleased.

And that she did.
    Scary! And it’s rather ironic that after Chloe had probably been BEGGING him to go through an emotional catharsis, he finally lets go of his emotions and control after she leaves.

His outburst is frightening, but also heart-wrenching because we (the readers) know that it’s being motivated by the loss of his beloved.

Imported from Italy, the chair was a gift he had bought her when they found out she was pregnant.

Chloe looked up at him. “Reminds me of my appetite when I was a kid.” She then turned to look down at the suckling mouth wrapped around her nipple. “Look at him go.”

“I’m looking,” he assured her. Lex settled beside her on the rocking chair. “Gorgeous.”
    I just wanted to cry at this. Such beautiful imagery, such a happy life… all gone without a trace.

“Tell me where she is or I swear—“
    “Do you think threatening me will bring Chloe back, Lex?”
    Lex nodded at her words. Pete Ross’ fiancé had sealed her fate.
    I really didn’t expect Lex to take up Lana on her challenging statement.

Day turned to night, and he waited in his house. Lex Luthor sat across the room from the shattered mirror and the pile of charred clothing. The television flickered from high up on the wall. His lips curved when he heard the sirens in the news program. A pale faced anchor spoke on the screen, frantic as she related her breaking news of the mayor’s right hand man’s house up in flames, his fiancé believed to have been trapped inside.
    OhMyGOD! I never fully appreciated WHAT kind of a monster Lex had become until this paragraph. Even after the phrase ‘sealed her fate’, I hoped it wasn’t meant to be taken as dire as it sounded.

But Lex has truly descended into madness. I can’t imagine how he suddenly became capable of such a horrendous act… killing the innocent Lana just because she happened to be the random person who helped Chloe escape.

I wonder if this was the kind of monstrous behaviour that Chloe was getting away from. Or whether this horrifying and terrifying kind of action and attitude was inspired by Chloe’s leaving.

Egg or chicken?

Lex shrugged off the memory. Sooner or later he would be able to walk away from the past. Chloe couldn’t haunt him for too long. All he had to do was tie up all the loose ends.
    Considering the type of man Lex has become, I’m guessing the ‘tying up of loose ends’ includes killing the new Lois Lane. I wonder if Lex is going to kill Lois, only to realize that it was CHLOE all along… or perhaps it’s possible that he would kill his beloved wife without ever realizing what he did.

He had glass walls to give him an unobstructed view of Metropolis. Now the pest ruined what he paid for. He stopped at the sight. Superman hovered outside, staring at him, watching him.

“When will you cease this obsession?” Lex demanded in a low voice, certain Superman could hear anyway.

“When will you stop yours?” the superhero mouthed.
    I wonder if Clark knows about Lex’s involvement in Lana’s death. Pete seems to have his suspicions, but I can’t be certain about that either.

She came in to her apartment exhausted from her first day in the office. She tossed her bag onto the chair and stumbled towards the small bathroom. She sighed at the sight. There were rings under her eyes. She pulled back the dark hair and turned her face sideways, then squinted. The faint lines were fading now. Soon they would be gone. Soon there would be no more trace, no more evidence.

When all the signs are gone, then she would face him.
    Hmmm. So there IS enough evidence to show that she was/is Chloe Sullivan posing as Lois. And it seems like Lex is not going to wait long enough for the traces of Chloe Sullivan to be completely eroded away.

The next chapter should be very, VERY interesting.

Pleeease update soon. I need to see what happens after this horrible cliffhanger you’ve left your hapless readers dangling on.

I don’t even care if the next update is as short as this one… Just update soon!!!

(please?)

NS Full Member

I was so happy when I realized that you updated this wonderful but heartwrenching story! But the happyness very fast changed into blank horror for what Lex had become. We all know, who's the only person in the world that yould save him!

The following sequence has been on of my most favourite of all fanfiction I ever read:

Quote Originally Posted by Catheryne View Post

...and as you are posting this story in the romance section, I still see some hope that maybe, just maybe everything will be ok again.

WONDERFUL JOB - thank you so much for sharing!

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Catheryne, this was an excellent update!

I loved Lex's destroying all of the things that Chloe had left in their apartment. That is the Lex we know and Love--when he is betrayed, he goes out for blood.

And kudos for killing of Lana, even though I did like her standing by Chloe. Lex is beyond angry, and anyone who stands in his way is doomed.

Wonderful work.
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Wonderful update! And the faint lines.....very interesting and it also means that we need another update

NS Senior Member Senior Member

I can't muster up the concern for Lana's death, although I do feel sad that Lex was driven to do it.

So Lois really is Chloe if she has lines that she must need to hide, I'm guessing plastic surgery. Lex would know but why doesn't Clark know?

The confrontation is upon us and I can't wait to see what happens.

NS Senior Member Senior Member lj715's Avatar

Ooohh, the plot thickens. Excellent update!!!! Is it bad that I felt so good when Lex got his revenge on Lana? Can't wait to read more.

I realized that it's been TOO long since this fic was last updated. It would be quite a shame to let this gem of a story wither away. Please update this one soon. I really want to know what happens next.

please update.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information