+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: NS Advent Calendar 2008 - Two Dozen and One Holiday Lies - Reviews/Feedback here!

looking for updates Senior Member somethingeasy's Avatar

Re: NS Advent Calendar 2008 - Two Dozen and One Holiday Lies - Reviews/Feedback here!

Chapter twenty one

Lex looked at the small hand, clutched tightly in his own. It was amazing how delicate she seemed once she was quiet and still. A state that happened so rarely that it was no wonder those words were so infrequently used in connection with Chloe Sullivan.
    What a fantastic beginning to the chapter. I loved the way that Lex is staring at Chloe in sheer disbelief at seeing her so still and QUIET! He honestly HATES seeing Chloe like this. Thank heavens that she’s basically ok… a dislocated shoulder is actually nothing compared to the injuries both he and Chloe have suffered through their years in Smallville. And if he’s being so maudlin and anxiety-ridden now, I can’t imagine what his state would have been if Chloe had been seriously and critically hurt.

Of course, he knew that the fragility he sensed at that moment was merely an illusion. After all, this was the woman who, according to his security team, rushed to Metropolis at speeds nearing one hundred miles per hour. Then snuck into a facility which she knew was the site of an active robbery. She heckled their kidnapper; eluded armed thugs to escape with him; and last, but never, ever least, pushed him from the path of an oncoming car, saving him from probable death.

If there was one thing Chloe Sullivan would never be, it was fragile.
    Heeee! I loved how Lex’s sheer hatred of seeing Chloe all quiet and unmoving has made him appreciate, and even dote on the times when she reveals what a dynamo of unstoppable energy she is. LOL! He’s actually wistfully thinking back to all the times when she recklessly risked her life but throwing herself head-first into dangerous situations. Granted, he’s going to start yelling at her the next time she does reckless things again… but now we know that a good portion of him will ALSO be sitting back admiringly doting on her for her bravery and energy.

Not that he’ll ever, EVER admit that to Chloe… He certainly doesn’t want to encourage that kind of recklessness, even if he does happen to love it in her, LOL!

“I’m so sorry I’ve been such a fool. I’ve wasted so much time with things that were never important compared to you; to us.”

He bowed his head and rested it on their joined hands as he confessed to her, “I love you. I love you so much, and if anything happened to you, Chloe, I’m not at all sure what I’d do.”

“You better mean that, Lex Luthor,” came the raspy reply. “Because if that’s just some kind of misplaced guilt talking then I will hunt you down and hurt you.”
    Squeee! Lex had the ‘I’m a complete dumbass’ moment that I’ve been waiting for since the beginning of this fic. Awesome! And the best thing was seeing Chloe being AWAKE to properly appreciate this moment along with us LOL! Enjoy it fully, Chloe! Milk the moment for all that it’s worth. Heaven knows when you’ll get the next chance to see Lex knowing that he behaved like a moron! LOL!

Although he’d never tell her that. Chloe was, above all else, unbelievably loyal. She’d never let anyone disparage him. Not even himself.

Lex smiled at that thought. Being taken care of, protected…he could get used to that.
    Yayyy! They finally said they love each other. LOL! And this was only after they shared two kisses! Chloe should have jumped him a LOOONG time ago and seen what she got from that!

I loved seeing how Lex has finally ‘got it’ about their relationship and how it works. It’s lovely seeing the complete trust he has in Chloe now… that she not only loves him, but that she will do anything in her power to keep him feeling safe, warm, protected and cherished. I think he’s finally getting how the two-sided love-relationship is suppose to work. Granted, Chloe had to practically clobber him on the head to accept that a relationship is supposed to work with love and care flowing BOTH ways, but he’s finally got it! LOL!

For as much as she genuinely believed in herself and her worth as a person, it seemed as if she was never anyone’s first choice. To know that Lex was choosing her; that he loved her with the deep intensity that she’d seen in her eyes, it was everything to her.

Her hand moved to the back of Lex’s head and she gently ran her fingertips over the taught skin, delighted to feel him shudder in response. She pulled him closer, wanting - needing to feel more of him.

Lex groaned as he felt Chloe pull him to her. He’d tired to hold back, not wanting to hurt her when she’d just woken up, but feeling her deepen the kiss, he couldn’t help but reciprocate with an ever growing fervor.
    It seems like Chloe also had a few lessons to learn too… such as knowing how it feels to be top-choice and top-priortity in someone’s life. What a perfect ending for both of them! And WHAT a perfect, hot, intense kiss, Skauble !

Oooh, and look… Chloe is in bed already… let’s take things to the next level, shall we? TEAR off her clothes, LEX!!!!

However, their moment of passion was destined to die an untimely death as a loud cough sounded from the doorway. Pulling apart, Lex saw Chloe glance over his shoulder at the intruder and let out an endearing little squeak. But all thoughts of her unquestionable cuteness were wiped away at the single word she uttered.

“Daddy?”
    LOL! I was NOT expecting that. Honestly, I had completely forgotten about Gabe Sullivan, but of COURSE the man is going to make an appearance at the hospital after hearing that his baby-girl had been admitted with injuries… again! I wonder whether he’s become a little numbed to seeing Chloe lying in a hospital bed at this point? Or does he suffer as acutely as possible during each encounter… never getting used to it.

Heh… And I thought Lionel might have been a problem. Gabe is NOT going to be happy hearing that Chloe sustained these injuries in yet another Luthor-related incident… and he’s going to be furious when he hears that she’s chosen to tie herself in with a Luthor despite how hazardous it’s proven itself to be. Chloe is going to have to give the whole ‘I get into trouble even without being involved with Lex’ speech to her dad now, huh?
    I look forward to seeing how the next chapter develops!

An Accused Heretic Senior Member Kit Merlot's Avatar

Re: NS Advent Calendar 2008 - Two Dozen and One Holiday Lies - Reviews/Feedback here!

Part 22: Gabe is so awesome--of course he approves of the Chlex romance
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

"This could barely fill up Thumbelina!" SALIGIA by westwingwolf

My Fanfic Master List

My livejournal: An Accused Heretic

Wow, that was wonderfully exciting and perfectly sweet all in one! I just read the latest four chapters and the only word I have is wow! Skauble, this is such a wonderful story, I am sad to realise it is almost over Still, all good things must come to an end, and in the meantime I must make comment on all that I've read!

Chloe's supposed rescue mission may not have gone entirely according to plan, but between her, Lex, and the present she bought him, it all worked out perfectly. I knew that lighter would come in handy eventually

And now we're pretty much at the happily ever after, and even Gabe approves of the Chlexy romance - excellent, wonderful, lovely!

chapter twenty two

LOL! It was really amusing seeing Lex choosing to duck out at that awkward moment. Granted, he knew it was a time for father and daughter to bond… but I ALSO think he was hugely relieved that Chloe would be the one stuck with explaining the situation to Gabe and ‘smoothing things over’ before Gabe and Lex have their inevitable discussion.

Poor Chloe was really nervous about the upcoming conversation with her dad… mostly because she desperately wanted her father’s approval. She wouldn’t stop seeing Lex if Gabe told her ‘no’, but it WOULD hurt her deeply if Gabe told her that he was disappointed in her choice.

Awww… so it was NICE to see that Gabe was really very cool about the whole thing. Honestly, he was exhibiting SAINT-LIKE levels of patience, understanding and coolness about the whole situation… especially taking into consideration the fact that Chloe told him the WHOLE story about how her injuries are pretty much a result of her many days worth of protecting Lex Luthor. Right up to the end where she threw herself in front of a CAR to keep him safe!

Seriously, if I was Chloe’s parent, I would be throwing a hysterical fit at my daughter’s choices these past few weeks, ROTFL!
    Which is why I was hugely impressed with Gabe, and how he accepted so calmly and lovingly that Chloe and Lex were in love with each other in a newly committed relationship.

“But Lex is a good man,” he told her. “I know that some people have problems with him because he’s a Luthor. But it’s like I’ve always told you, Chloe. There’s a difference between good fortune and good character.
    I loved this statement, and how it revealed WHY Gabe was being so cool about the situation. I finally understood that Gabe will not simply ‘begrudgingly accept Lex as Chloe’s choice’, but Gabe honestly admires Lex… believes him to be a good, kind, decent man. I loved what he said about how Lex has proved himself to be above and beyond a good person because of the way he’s maintained a decent nature despite all of Lionel’s attempts to twist and subvert it into something evil and ugly. And he’s actually glad that this ‘good man’ returns his daughter’s love.
    I think Gabe is genuinely HAPPY to have Lex as a future son-in-law (he knows a wedding is coming soon! LOL!).

Squeezing her hand, he smiled slightly. “I mean, sure, you’re in the hospital. But this is probably the most minor of all your hospitalizations. Frankly, I’ve given up on safe for you,” he told her in a weary tone. “There’s only risk management where you’re concerned.”
    ROTFL! Looks like Chloe didn’t have to give the whole hair-raising ‘I attract trouble no matter how you try to keep me safe’ argument to Gabe. He was painfully aware of it already. He was very casual and candid about it right now, but I can’t imagine that a good part of him doesn’t feel pain and despair about how close his baby girl has come to death over the years.

Awww… and Chloe GOT that! She understood how very difficult it must be for a parent to have a child that places herself in consistent danger all the time… and she actually tried to apologise for being that kind of a person. That was heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. I was so GLAD to see Gabe brush aside her starting apology with an impatient brusque ‘I wouldn’t have you change for anything in the world’.
    Squeee!!! Now THAT is every girl’s dream about how her father should respond to her

And despite his feeling that no one was good enough for his little girl, and regardless of his concerns about the trouble that was part and parcel of the Luthor name, he was almost glad that Chloe and Lex were truly committed to their relationship. Because, after all of the years of doing it on his own, Gabe Sullivan thought that it might be nice to finally have someone to share the considerable worry that loving Chloe brought.

And at least Lex’s hair wouldn’t turn gray.
    ROTFL! Ok, here’s yet another reason that I didn’t see on why Gabe would REALLY like having Lex in a committed relationship with his daughter. Not only because he knows that Lex is a kind, decent guy madly in love with Chloe… but ALSO because he knows that Lex is a powerful, stubborn, paranoid and over-protective bastard who will most definitely come in useful when it comes to ‘protecting Chloe from herself’, ROTFLMAO!

I can’t WAIT to check out the Gabe/Lex conversation that’s coming up. Is Gabe going to give the pre-requisite ‘if you hurt my baby, I’ll kill you’ speech? Or is he going to jump straight into planning out bodyguard plans and strategies to making sure that ‘risk management’ around Chloe is handled properly? LOL!

Heeee!!! I wonder whether the ‘daddy in laws’ are going to have ANY kind of a talk with each other too. Somehow, I can’t imagine Gabe and Lionel having anything to say to each other… but it would be interesting to see them trying a conversation… for the purpose of being civil at least? LOL!

Part 23--I loved the father/son conversation, and that Lex is going to give his dad a chance to prove himself a better person.

So, both of the dads approve the Chlex--excellent news
    KATHY

"Don't quote me to me!" Detective Danny "Danno" WIlliams, Hawaii Five-0, episode 1.8 Mana'o

My Fanfic Master List

chapter 23

I loved the beginning with Lex listing out all the reasons why he HATED being ‘forcibly separated’ from Chloe’s side. LOL! Lex is usually clingy even during the best and most secure of times… but when his beloved is recovering in a hospital and facing up with a concerned father who might be telling her to leave Luthor… I’m quite impressed that Lex isn’t clinging to Chloe’s hospital hallway, with his ear stuck against the door, LOL!

I was so HAPPY to see a Lionel/Lex centric chapter. I’ve been waiting for them both to have a conversation since Lionel helped Lex rescue Chloe. I was wondering how the situation had changed between them, and it was delightful to finally get a report on that.

Lex knew he shouldn’t be surprised at either the fact that his father had managed to get information on Chloe’s condition or that he openly shared that fact, and yet he was. Sometimes he wondered if Lionel had any idea how the whole ‘redeeming oneself’ thing actually worked.
    ROTFL! And I’m SURE that Lionel would only look at Lex in polite bafflement if Lex tried to explain why it was ‘wrong’ for Lionel to go traipsing through Chloe’s private and confidential medical files, LOL!

“There is nothing else,” he continued, “that you could have done to ever make me question that decision…except this.”
    heee! I suspected this might have been the case. I really believe Lex’s assessment that there is NO other way Lionel could have earned that second chance except through helping Chloe in some essential manner. I love that Lex made it clear that Lionel’s chance at atonement has ONLY come about because of Chloe.

I really liked how Lex was honestly so confused, and even a little ‘frightened’ about what kind of a new relationship was forming up between himself and his father. The old loathsome, hatred-filled relationship wasn’t fun, but at least it was something Lex knew and could predict to some degree… this is something completely out of the blue, and he’s going to have to gently feel his way forward an inch at a time.

I also loved how Lionel seemed to be feeling the same way. But he was far too determined to NOT end up dying alone, hated and isolated to let this confusion and anxiety deter him from this ‘new way’ of dealing with his son.

“Lex…” Lionel began but then trailed off. He seemed to search for the right words before starting again. “Son, I won’t try to convince you I’m a different person than the man that you’ve always known. You wouldn’t believe it and, frankly, I’m not sure that it would be true.”
    heh… I really admired Lionel’s honesty here. Very impressive!

It actually made a strange kind of sense to Lex. His father had not just been imprisoned, he also had thought that he was going to die. Those two things, separately, we’re enough to change one’s perspective. But combined? Yes, he could see how that might have made even Lionel long for the connection that family brought; pushed him into thinking about the continuation of the Luthor line.

And Lionel was the kind of man who would do whatever it took to succeed. If he truly believed that he had to play nice to be let back in, even in a probationary manner, then he’d do so if it was the only way he could achieve his goal.
    Wow! That was brilliant! I loved the idea that Lex somehow was able to take reference from the calculated, ruthless part of Lionel’s nature to reinforce this new ‘nice routine’. I LOVED that Lex was able to reconcile Lionel’s essential nature to this new behaviour he’s (currently) exhibiting. It was brilliant and insightful, Skauble!

Which didn’t mean Lex trusted him. Didn’t mean that he wouldn’t be watching all the time in case Lionel’s ‘goals’ suddenly changed. But it did mean that there was a very minuscule amount of something that had previously been foreign to the Luthor family – hope.
    *happy sigh* what a beautiful, AWESOME ending. I loved how the chapter ended with Lex expressing that he’s HIGHLY sceptical of Lionel’s change in behaviour… and he’s fully prepared for Lionel to ‘snap back’ to old form again… but there’s ALSO a beautiful note of hope in Lex. Oh dear, PLEASE don’t let Lionel crush that bit of hope. It’s only a tiny spark of hope, but even losing THAT would devastate Lex… I know it would!

I look forward to the next chapter. It seems like the chapter is wrapping up quite nicely now. Only Chloe’s present left to open, and then we’re done?

Part 24--I love how easily the Chlex outmaneuvered the Clana

And if Chloe hadn't talked to Lana first, the Lang would have had it in her brain that Lex was only with Chloe because he couldn't have her. Chloe played to Lana's vanity and it worked: she truly believes that she was a Chlex supporter from way back--nicely played
    KATHY

My Fanfic Master List

I got really behind on reading, and just caught up on, like, twenty chapters two days ago. But, I've been reading along since then, and it's been amazing.

I absolutely adore this fic. It's been the perfect Christmas present; sweet, in character, and well-paced. I loved Lionel and Chloe's interaction, and that Lionel was trying to change.

The way Lex and Chloe's relationship evolved, was really well written. It was obvious that there had been feelings there before hand, and that it was tough for both of them to break their connection. But I really liked how they worked through it, and ended up together.

Both of the presents were so sweet. I love Chloe's game; it's so in character and cute. And I love that she made Lex play it. Somehow I doubt that many other people could get away with that.

And, of course, I love that Gabe was fine with their relationship, and how it went down when Clana was informed. Clever Chloe, tricking Lana...

Thank you for such a fantastic Christmas present...I can't wait for the epilogue!

WW

Dealing w/ a Ship Change Senior Member

Wonderful fic from start to finish...I loved the little gifts that all had meaning and the game they played up until the end. So glad they had a wonderful Christmas and sounds like they will have many more.

So, Lionel is (mostly) good, Gabe supports the Chlex, Clark and Lana were easily played, and everyone had a Merry Christmas haha I loved this story from excellent start to wonderful end, with all the awesomeness in between! Always good to have a happy ending especially at Christmas and especially with Chlex Yay for the proposal and acceptance of the same in the Epilogue, that was an extra-specially nice way to end. Just beautiful, Sarah - thanx so much for a whole month of wonderful ficcage

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information